Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why collect every festival skin?
1 2 3 4 5
i see this brought up every time someone suggests that we need more slots for skins with the obscene amount of breeds we have on site and ancients taking up more slots every fest, users will complain that they'll have to spend so much money collecting every skin/accent. but why? there's thousands more fest skins than we'll ever have slots for dragons, i collect seafood items so i understand collecting items for no purpose but you have to click on every skin/accent to view the full image and i imagine that'd add up if you want to view many. honestly i don't understand this phenomenon in the uma sphere either, to buy things you will never realistically use. and please don't take this the wrong way because this is purely my own feelings but i always feel like im spitting in the face of an artist when i buy a uma from them and don't wind up using it, thankfully that doesn't happen very often (i will also never resell a uma for over print price so at least im not profiting off of someone else's work). its why i try to be as restrictive as possible with my lair theme and dragons i own, if not i'd be even more in the red than i already am. tangent aside, im just curious why this gets brought up as a point of no support to doing something about festival winners. i understand the other reasons for not supporting but i have trouble wrapping my head around this so if you're someone who collects i'd love to know why. its a niche playstyle but its still a playstyle.

forgot to mention this but all fest items past year 3 don't retire, yes this still means some items retain a very high price if they're super popular (light halos are the extreme exeption but its worth noting) but you're not completely out of luck as more items will always enter circulation. the fomo mention is also difficult for me to understand because of this.
i see this brought up every time someone suggests that we need more slots for skins with the obscene amount of breeds we have on site and ancients taking up more slots every fest, users will complain that they'll have to spend so much money collecting every skin/accent. but why? there's thousands more fest skins than we'll ever have slots for dragons, i collect seafood items so i understand collecting items for no purpose but you have to click on every skin/accent to view the full image and i imagine that'd add up if you want to view many. honestly i don't understand this phenomenon in the uma sphere either, to buy things you will never realistically use. and please don't take this the wrong way because this is purely my own feelings but i always feel like im spitting in the face of an artist when i buy a uma from them and don't wind up using it, thankfully that doesn't happen very often (i will also never resell a uma for over print price so at least im not profiting off of someone else's work). its why i try to be as restrictive as possible with my lair theme and dragons i own, if not i'd be even more in the red than i already am. tangent aside, im just curious why this gets brought up as a point of no support to doing something about festival winners. i understand the other reasons for not supporting but i have trouble wrapping my head around this so if you're someone who collects i'd love to know why. its a niche playstyle but its still a playstyle.

forgot to mention this but all fest items past year 3 don't retire, yes this still means some items retain a very high price if they're super popular (light halos are the extreme exeption but its worth noting) but you're not completely out of luck as more items will always enter circulation. the fomo mention is also difficult for me to understand because of this.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
personally, I don't feel a need to collect every festival skin. I keep a copy of everything I think I might actually use someday, and that's all. this works for me because I'm pretty confident in my own aesthetic and my likes/dislikes. (I've only been wrong once - I didn't keep a copy of [gamedb item=44793] because at the time I didn't like veilspuns, but then later developed a new appreciation for them and had to buy the skin off AH for ~150g.) however, for someone less set in their ways, I can reasonably see them saying "what IF I change my mind and want it LATER" and feeling they have to keep a copy of everything for FOMO purposes. what I don't understand is people getting skins purely for completion/collection purposes. the after-market for skin chests is an extreme example of this - what is even the point of a skin that is unwearable because it's in a chest? (although, to be fair, I collect [item=bubbly buddy] and those are equally useless)
personally, I don't feel a need to collect every festival skin. I keep a copy of everything I think I might actually use someday, and that's all.

this works for me because I'm pretty confident in my own aesthetic and my likes/dislikes. (I've only been wrong once - I didn't keep a copy of Skin: Lunar Tides because at the time I didn't like veilspuns, but then later developed a new appreciation for them and had to buy the skin off AH for ~150g.) however, for someone less set in their ways, I can reasonably see them saying "what IF I change my mind and want it LATER" and feeling they have to keep a copy of everything for FOMO purposes.

what I don't understand is people getting skins purely for completion/collection purposes. the after-market for skin chests is an extreme example of this - what is even the point of a skin that is unwearable because it's in a chest?

(although, to be fair, I collect Bubbly Buddy and those are equally useless)
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge
Some people like to be poor /half-joking

When I first joined(I say this but I only actually got out of the mindset about a year ago), I felt obligated to get every fest skin I could afford, for some silly reason. Sometimes, I even doubled up, which was really stupid because, at least at this point in time, I don't intend to resell - the money sink sank, I guess, but I'm glad I'm better with money now(only buying skins that I actually like and/or intend to use).
Some people like to be poor /half-joking

When I first joined(I say this but I only actually got out of the mindset about a year ago), I felt obligated to get every fest skin I could afford, for some silly reason. Sometimes, I even doubled up, which was really stupid because, at least at this point in time, I don't intend to resell - the money sink sank, I guess, but I'm glad I'm better with money now(only buying skins that I actually like and/or intend to use).
wcadopt-voiken1.png ZTsKQhL.png wcadopt-voiken2.png
Ping me if you want my attention.
@Achaius skin chests are such a pointless thing i genuinely don't know why they're still created every year. i assume the servers are beefy enough considering we're up to over 50k items on site but its still clutter that doesn't need to be there especially since the last coli skin contest never got chests to go along with them so unless there's some very strange coding reason due to legacy code there's no reason fest skins can't also just drop directly from enemies. also there's only 11 variants for every single skin, checking on mobile must be hellish.
@Achaius skin chests are such a pointless thing i genuinely don't know why they're still created every year. i assume the servers are beefy enough considering we're up to over 50k items on site but its still clutter that doesn't need to be there especially since the last coli skin contest never got chests to go along with them so unless there's some very strange coding reason due to legacy code there's no reason fest skins can't also just drop directly from enemies. also there's only 11 variants for every single skin, checking on mobile must be hellish.
but what if i need it in the future
but what if i need it in the future
Inspired.pngDetermined.pngShouting.pngSurprised.pngDizzy.pngSigh.pngInspired%5E.pngStunned%5E.pngDetermined%5E.pngSigh%5E.pngWorried%5E.pngJoyous%5E.png
buy my dragons ---> gen ones
buy more of my dragons --->hatchery
help me find my dream dragons ---> here
[quote name="@Achaius" date="2024-03-25 11:03:04" ] what I don't understand is people getting skins purely for completion/collection purposes. the after-market for skin chests is an extreme example of this - what is even the point of a skin that is unwearable because it's in a chest? (although, to be fair, I collect [item=bubbly buddy] and those are equally useless) [/quote] not in this game, but i collect a lot of useless items/items i don't intend to use in other games. it's about owning a piece of history, or an anomaly, or simply something that interests you. for instance, in loomian legacy, there are items called TP resets that became useless legacy items after a recent quality of life change made their function obsolete. they instead became buffed versions of regular training items with no means of acquisition. i then proceeded to overpay other users ridiculous amounts to collect them. why? because they're cool! yeah, they're useless. and i could just use gummies for the same effect. the point isn't using it, it's owning something unique and special, something that makes me go "damn, remember when these were a thing?" little icons to fill out my inventory.
@Achaius wrote on 2024-03-25 11:03:04:
what I don't understand is people getting skins purely for completion/collection purposes. the after-market for skin chests is an extreme example of this - what is even the point of a skin that is unwearable because it's in a chest?

(although, to be fair, I collect Bubbly Buddy and those are equally useless)
not in this game, but i collect a lot of useless items/items i don't intend to use in other games. it's about owning a piece of history, or an anomaly, or simply something that interests you. for instance, in loomian legacy, there are items called TP resets that became useless legacy items after a recent quality of life change made their function obsolete. they instead became buffed versions of regular training items with no means of acquisition. i then proceeded to overpay other users ridiculous amounts to collect them. why? because they're cool! yeah, they're useless. and i could just use gummies for the same effect. the point isn't using it, it's owning something unique and special, something that makes me go "damn, remember when these were a thing?" little icons to fill out my inventory.
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
[quote name="bulrush" date="2024-03-25 10:46:11" ] please don't take this the wrong way because this is purely my own feelings but i always feel like im spitting in the face of an artist when i buy a uma from them and don't wind up using it [/quote] I do kind of the opposite, actually--not at all saying your feelings or mine are right or wrong or anything like that AT ALL but personally I sometimes buy skins that I really really like as Art, but I'm not entirely sure how to use. and sometimes that does mean I dont find a dragon for them but I view it like, whether I use it or not, I have absolutely yielded [number] gems worth of joy from this skin so the artist should definitely profit off of that. I do try to practice restraint though, like before I get a skin I try to think "well does this give me an idea of a dragon as an individual to fit into my lair" and all that, and bc of that I do end up passing on a lot. like I also dont wanna be all dog-in-the-manger and hoard items im not using, skins are meant to be put on dragons, so I never go into a purchase thinking "im not going to use this" but sometimes I just dont find the right dragon for a while. I suppose it depends on the skin artist how they'd feel about it orz anyway I also do always collect all fest skins per fest tho its eh...fomo. I dont consider it a huge expense as opposed to UMAs so collecting all fest skins just makes sense. like its a low price to pay for me to be like "okay now I dont gotta worry about the very small chance that I'll need this later", and perhaps irrational thinking but it keeps me sane and that is its own gift. not to say I dont use fest skins either, I do and I really like a lot of them, and more than once ive been in the serendipitous position of being able to give someone a skin on their wishlist that I have squirreled away! tho despite being a fest skin buyer im also like, not at all bothered by a "price per fest" tag so maybe im not the voice to answer this question
bulrush wrote on 2024-03-25 10:46:11:
please don't take this the wrong way because this is purely my own feelings but i always feel like im spitting in the face of an artist when i buy a uma from them and don't wind up using it
I do kind of the opposite, actually--not at all saying your feelings or mine are right or wrong or anything like that AT ALL but personally I sometimes buy skins that I really really like as Art, but I'm not entirely sure how to use. and sometimes that does mean I dont find a dragon for them but I view it like, whether I use it or not, I have absolutely yielded [number] gems worth of joy from this skin so the artist should definitely profit off of that.

I do try to practice restraint though, like before I get a skin I try to think "well does this give me an idea of a dragon as an individual to fit into my lair" and all that, and bc of that I do end up passing on a lot. like I also dont wanna be all dog-in-the-manger and hoard items im not using, skins are meant to be put on dragons, so I never go into a purchase thinking "im not going to use this" but sometimes I just dont find the right dragon for a while. I suppose it depends on the skin artist how they'd feel about it orz

anyway I also do always collect all fest skins per fest tho its eh...fomo. I dont consider it a huge expense as opposed to UMAs so collecting all fest skins just makes sense. like its a low price to pay for me to be like "okay now I dont gotta worry about the very small chance that I'll need this later", and perhaps irrational thinking but it keeps me sane and that is its own gift. not to say I dont use fest skins either, I do and I really like a lot of them, and more than once ive been in the serendipitous position of being able to give someone a skin on their wishlist that I have squirreled away!

tho despite being a fest skin buyer im also like, not at all bothered by a "price per fest" tag so maybe im not the voice to answer this question
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
I collect them all because they're pretty and I like to hoard all the pretty things.

I'm more likely to use Ancient skins because I have more ancients that aren't already wearing one, but I'll collect them all even when they're for breeds I don't have any of. I might sell it! (I probably won't.) I might start keeping pearlcatchers! (Unlikely.)
I collect them all because they're pretty and I like to hoard all the pretty things.

I'm more likely to use Ancient skins because I have more ancients that aren't already wearing one, but I'll collect them all even when they're for breeds I don't have any of. I might sell it! (I probably won't.) I might start keeping pearlcatchers! (Unlikely.)
@RheoTastic i think this might be like, a fundamental lifestyle thing which sounds incredibly stupid without an explanation. in game i don't like to keep things i won't ever use and i do the same in real life, its easier for me to do in game than in real life because things like gifts sort of complicate things you're kind of the bad guy if you get rid of a gift you didn't like or don't want anymore. that's absolutely not a problem on here because i either buy items myself or get them through site mechanics. i'd much rather sell things i don't want or at least don't need to fund something i 100% know i need. yeah sure i've missed out so many times on things i maybe want but if that passes i come to terms with it not being meant to be. if i do realize i need something i used to own i just suck it up and buy it again, those items aren't going anywhere.
@RheoTastic i think this might be like, a fundamental lifestyle thing which sounds incredibly stupid without an explanation. in game i don't like to keep things i won't ever use and i do the same in real life, its easier for me to do in game than in real life because things like gifts sort of complicate things you're kind of the bad guy if you get rid of a gift you didn't like or don't want anymore. that's absolutely not a problem on here because i either buy items myself or get them through site mechanics. i'd much rather sell things i don't want or at least don't need to fund something i 100% know i need. yeah sure i've missed out so many times on things i maybe want but if that passes i come to terms with it not being meant to be. if i do realize i need something i used to own i just suck it up and buy it again, those items aren't going anywhere.
[quote name="bulrush" date="2024-03-25 11:34:17" ] @/RheoTastic i think this might be like, a fundamental lifestyle thing which sounds incredibly stupid without an explanation. in game i don't like to keep things i won't ever use and i do the same in real life, its easier for me to do in game than in real life because things like gifts sort of complicate things you're kind of the bad guy if you get rid of a gift you didn't like or don't want anymore. that's absolutely not a problem on here because i either buy items myself or get them through site mechanics. i'd much rather sell things i don't want or at least don't need to fund something i 100% know i need. yeah sure i've missed out so many times on things i maybe want but if that passes i come to terms with it not being meant to be. if i do realize i need something i used to own i just suck it up and buy it again, those items aren't going anywhere. [/quote] no no I totally get you and like I dont disagree with your views at all; im more like that in real life partially out of necessary frugality (both in the sense of Money and like, the amount of physical space one has available), partially to keep myself staid. maybe its bc im like that irl I am such a hoarder in video games where I can run off leash uninhibited? anyway I do think its like a very healthy mindset to accept the inevitability of "missing out", im just not the best at practicing it all the time ;P you have better conviction than I do!
bulrush wrote on 2024-03-25 11:34:17:
@/RheoTastic i think this might be like, a fundamental lifestyle thing which sounds incredibly stupid without an explanation. in game i don't like to keep things i won't ever use and i do the same in real life, its easier for me to do in game than in real life because things like gifts sort of complicate things you're kind of the bad guy if you get rid of a gift you didn't like or don't want anymore. that's absolutely not a problem on here because i either buy items myself or get them through site mechanics. i'd much rather sell things i don't want or at least don't need to fund something i 100% know i need. yeah sure i've missed out so many times on things i maybe want but if that passes i come to terms with it not being meant to be. if i do realize i need something i used to own i just suck it up and buy it again, those items aren't going anywhere.
no no I totally get you and like I dont disagree with your views at all; im more like that in real life partially out of necessary frugality (both in the sense of Money and like, the amount of physical space one has available), partially to keep myself staid. maybe its bc im like that irl I am such a hoarder in video games where I can run off leash uninhibited? anyway I do think its like a very healthy mindset to accept the inevitability of "missing out", im just not the best at practicing it all the time ;P you have better conviction than I do!
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
1 2 3 4 5