Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | PSA: About ancient breed release hinting
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
yes, I am aware of the art hints, actually, if my math is right and it's a halloween release, we should get our first hint either today or tomorrow and if we don't it's not happening [in time for halloween] [quote name="@Metalhead" date="2021-10-28 06:55:13" ] I doubt they want to release breeds during the holidays, since they'd just compete with the festival grinding and take attentions away from the player-run fest events. I'm hoping for the week after RoR, though. [/quote] Halloween is on Sunday, which means RoR would be over
yes, I am aware of the art hints, actually, if my math is right and it's a halloween release, we should get our first hint either today or tomorrow and if we don't it's not happening [in time for halloween]

@Metalhead wrote on 2021-10-28 06:55:13:
I doubt they want to release breeds during the holidays, since they'd just compete with the festival grinding and take attentions away from the player-run fest events. I'm hoping for the week after RoR, though.

Halloween is on Sunday, which means RoR would be over
sfVMa01.pngMa06BNU.pngBVUXJUX.png
I personally would not expect a first hint until after RoR is over--meaning a release 2 days after Halloween at the very earliest. Of course I would love to be wrong, but I don't want to get my hopes up.
I personally would not expect a first hint until after RoR is over--meaning a release 2 days after Halloween at the very earliest. Of course I would love to be wrong, but I don't want to get my hopes up.
[quote name="keet" date="2021-10-28 06:59:33" ] yes, I am aware of the art hints, actually, if my math is right and it's a halloween release, we should get our first hint either today or tomorrow and if we don't it's not happening [in time for halloween] [/quote] Unlikely for a Halloween release as weekdays are the best for breed releases. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2787594/6#post_41505134]Source[/url].
keet wrote on 2021-10-28 06:59:33:
yes, I am aware of the art hints, actually, if my math is right and it's a halloween release, we should get our first hint either today or tomorrow and if we don't it's not happening [in time for halloween]
Unlikely for a Halloween release as weekdays are the best for breed releases.

Source.
fo11Vhp.png
Several people have said "but there's a fest" and I hate to say this but. There's always a fest? Either to get ready for or to actively participate in? They're every month. And there's other events like NotN and the pirate stuff and Warrior's Way. Something is always happening, so if staff waited for there to not be something, they would never get anything (not-fest) done.

While it might be part of their reasoning behind the schedule, I doubt they look at a good time to release something and say "oop, it's within a week of a fest, gotta wait." Just looking at recent "major" updates, it might be a week. If "year" means 2021, not between anniversaries.

Pirates - Sept 19
Fest - Sept 26
Ribbon/Eel - Oct 8
Mire - Oct 22
Fest - Oct 24

Roughly two weeks between pirates, genes, and mire update? Possibly the end of next week (drop hint on the 5th to just throw a curveball at all the AC:NH-distracted people).
Several people have said "but there's a fest" and I hate to say this but. There's always a fest? Either to get ready for or to actively participate in? They're every month. And there's other events like NotN and the pirate stuff and Warrior's Way. Something is always happening, so if staff waited for there to not be something, they would never get anything (not-fest) done.

While it might be part of their reasoning behind the schedule, I doubt they look at a good time to release something and say "oop, it's within a week of a fest, gotta wait." Just looking at recent "major" updates, it might be a week. If "year" means 2021, not between anniversaries.

Pirates - Sept 19
Fest - Sept 26
Ribbon/Eel - Oct 8
Mire - Oct 22
Fest - Oct 24

Roughly two weeks between pirates, genes, and mire update? Possibly the end of next week (drop hint on the 5th to just throw a curveball at all the AC:NH-distracted people).
Banes were sandwiched right between Rockbreaker's and NotN (and other irl holiday stuff), and Veil's were released kinda around this time like mid nov. So like... It's possible? But I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be ON halloween. Early-mid Nov seems like a good window for them.
Banes were sandwiched right between Rockbreaker's and NotN (and other irl holiday stuff), and Veil's were released kinda around this time like mid nov. So like... It's possible? But I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be ON halloween. Early-mid Nov seems like a good window for them.
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
I’m sorry, but it is not coming out on Halloween. This week is for Plague’s festival and nothing else. It would be unfair to distract people from what is their week. Imagine if the breed isn’t plague, how is it fair if the second half of their fest week is taken up with official teases for another flights breed? As far as the staff is concerned, fests are only during that last week of the month. There is 3 other weeks in a month where they can release and tease things that is not related to that festival flight. Besides, having what is essentially two events going at once? I’m pretty sure staff doesn’t want to do that to themselves.

Even if the breed is plague that then sets a expectation that the staff will release a breed during the celebrating flights festival which really limits the time frame on when they can release new breeds. Banes and Veils both came out during the second week of the month. I see no reason why the pattern would change. At most we will get the first hint on the 31st but I doubt it, i think it would be either the later part of that week or the week after. Actually, instead of hints I would like an effort this time, I’d like to do another one this year but we’ll see.
I’m sorry, but it is not coming out on Halloween. This week is for Plague’s festival and nothing else. It would be unfair to distract people from what is their week. Imagine if the breed isn’t plague, how is it fair if the second half of their fest week is taken up with official teases for another flights breed? As far as the staff is concerned, fests are only during that last week of the month. There is 3 other weeks in a month where they can release and tease things that is not related to that festival flight. Besides, having what is essentially two events going at once? I’m pretty sure staff doesn’t want to do that to themselves.

Even if the breed is plague that then sets a expectation that the staff will release a breed during the celebrating flights festival which really limits the time frame on when they can release new breeds. Banes and Veils both came out during the second week of the month. I see no reason why the pattern would change. At most we will get the first hint on the 31st but I doubt it, i think it would be either the later part of that week or the week after. Actually, instead of hints I would like an effort this time, I’d like to do another one this year but we’ll see.
gG13YVz.pngtumblr_o4yu8gUBhN1uvtnbto1_400.png
[quote name="Azuraa" date="2021-10-28 08:11:29" ] Several people have said "but there's a fest" and I hate to say this but. There's always a fest? Either to get ready for or to actively participate in? They're every month. And there's other events like NotN and the pirate stuff and Warrior's Way. Something is always happening, so if staff waited for there to not be something, they would never get anything (not-fest) done. While it might be part of their reasoning behind the schedule, I doubt they look at a good time to release something and say "oop, it's within a week of a fest, gotta wait." Just looking at recent "major" updates, it might be a week. If "year" means 2021, not between anniversaries. [/quote] No, there's not always a fest. There's a fest week every month, with a few additonal ones scattered over the year. But with the exception of NotN (and possibly WW in the future) they're just micro holidays with some cycled stuff. Releasing it before/after a fest is one thing but releasing it DURING a fest is completely different. Before or after, whatever. But if they released the breed DURING RoR, the site would start lagging because that always happens when thousands of people come online at once to scry their dragons and try to earn money for a scroll. Preventable lag during a holiday, when people want to grind for fest currency, is simply unnecessary. A few days before, or the day after? Fine. The lag won't be as much of a concern. Anyway, they rarely if ever release anything during fests to begin with. I doubt they will change it now.
Azuraa wrote on 2021-10-28 08:11:29:

No, there's not always a fest. There's a fest week every month, with a few additonal ones scattered over the year. But with the exception of NotN (and possibly WW in the future) they're just micro holidays with some cycled stuff.

Releasing it before/after a fest is one thing but releasing it DURING a fest is completely different. Before or after, whatever. But if they released the breed DURING RoR, the site would start lagging because that always happens when thousands of people come online at once to scry their dragons and try to earn money for a scroll. Preventable lag during a holiday, when people want to grind for fest currency, is simply unnecessary.

A few days before, or the day after? Fine. The lag won't be as much of a concern.

Anyway, they rarely if ever release anything during fests to begin with. I doubt they will change it now.
IMG-2023-08-05-124048.jpg
[quote name="Gryphire" date="2021-10-28 08:48:29" ] I’m sorry, but it is not coming out on Halloween. This week is for Plague’s festival and nothing else. It would be unfair to distract people from what is their week. Imagine if the breed isn’t plague, how is it fair if the second half of their fest week is taken up with official teases for another flights breed? As far as the staff is concerned, fests are only during that last week of the month. There is 3 other weeks in a month where they can release and tease things that is not related to that festival flight. Besides, having what is essentially two events going at once? I’m pretty sure staff doesn’t want to do that to themselves. Even if the breed is plague that then sets a expectation that the staff will release a breed during the celebrating flights festival which really limits the time frame on when they can release new breeds. Banes and Veils both came out during the second week of the month. I see no reason why the pattern would change. At most we will get the first hint on the 31st but I doubt it, i think it would be either the later part of that week or the week after. Actually, instead of hints I would like an effort this time, I’d like to do another one this year but we’ll see. [/quote] The fest ends Halloween morning. IF it did come out then it would have no impact whatsoever on the festival itself. It'd be rough going from "woo fest hype" to "woo breed hype" in rapid succession, sure. But it wouldn't be the latter half of the fest, the fest would already be done and over with. Not that I personally believe it would drop on halloween either. I suspect doing a big release like that wouldn't go over very well on such a major holiday in the US where many folks are probably planning *something* with friends/family.
Gryphire wrote on 2021-10-28 08:48:29:

The fest ends Halloween morning. IF it did come out then it would have no impact whatsoever on the festival itself. It'd be rough going from "woo fest hype" to "woo breed hype" in rapid succession, sure. But it wouldn't be the latter half of the fest, the fest would already be done and over with.

Not that I personally believe it would drop on halloween either. I suspect doing a big release like that wouldn't go over very well on such a major holiday in the US where many folks are probably planning *something* with friends/family.
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
Honestly, they've broken their own "rules" before, so while I wouldn't expect a breed to be released on a FR holiday or whatever, I wouldn't completely rule it out. Same with hints coming before an ancient, they don't necessarily have to do the same thing every time. And they've definitely sandwiched big releases close together in the past, so I don't think that the Mire update would change anything.

You have to figure, when it comes to finishing art assets or anything else about the site, some things might get done earlier or later than intended, which means they probably have to be more flexible about release dates than one would think?

Personally I'm thinking it'll be released before or during NotN, but a Halloween or Halloween-adjacent release would be cool.

Edit: Honestly if they were planning some kind of Halloween release, it'd make sense to start the teaser on Halloween day, but have the ancient released a couple days after. That way people are free after the holidays but it's still Halloween related.

But yeah, I have no real solid guess on when it's coming out, other than supposing it'll be early December at the latest.
Honestly, they've broken their own "rules" before, so while I wouldn't expect a breed to be released on a FR holiday or whatever, I wouldn't completely rule it out. Same with hints coming before an ancient, they don't necessarily have to do the same thing every time. And they've definitely sandwiched big releases close together in the past, so I don't think that the Mire update would change anything.

You have to figure, when it comes to finishing art assets or anything else about the site, some things might get done earlier or later than intended, which means they probably have to be more flexible about release dates than one would think?

Personally I'm thinking it'll be released before or during NotN, but a Halloween or Halloween-adjacent release would be cool.

Edit: Honestly if they were planning some kind of Halloween release, it'd make sense to start the teaser on Halloween day, but have the ancient released a couple days after. That way people are free after the holidays but it's still Halloween related.

But yeah, I have no real solid guess on when it's coming out, other than supposing it'll be early December at the latest.
i believe that you believe there is a heaven
where you belong.
he/him
[quote name="000000" date="2021-10-28 09:25:03" ] You have to figure, when it comes to finishing art assets or anything else about the site, some things might get done earlier or later than intended, which means they probably have to be more flexible about release dates than one would think? [/quote] Just looking at this logistically and staying out of the whole Halloween-or-not for this particular release, I think more importantly than finishing assets would be the inevitable heavy lag the site gets hit with for new breed releases, especially heavily anticipated ones like this one seems to be. That absolutely needs to be planned around for the health of the site. As mentioned upthread, that's I think a major reason why a) they wouldn't want to release it during a flight festival (as it would actively hinder people from participating in the festival if they got lagged out) and b) they would probably want to release it on a weekday when they could have the maximum staff on hand to deal with any problems. (As cited above, the devs have spoken on this matter before.) The problem with real-world holidays (again, in general, not this Halloween specifically) is that deliberately planning an event around them can be cute in other games that are more set up for it, but FR usually tries to skirt around real world holidays that aren't previously established onsite. It's not 100% successful, of course, as real life holidays from around the world will inevitably clash with an any site schedule that has celebrations 12 months out of 12, but in general this allows FR to make their own holidays and also allows people who are celebrating offline to focus on the holiday instead of having their attention split by an online game. Again, I don't know how relevant this is here, and people are going to have their own thoughts on the matter— some people are going to want more online stuff to supplement perhaps small or quiet or cut short celebrations, whereas others are going to want less online stuff so they can focus on offline things— but it might be even [i]more[/i] relevant for staff than for users. Staff need to be around to monitor, but they might want to focus on real life holiday business, whether it's in person or virtual, and thus might avoid planning big releases that way. Edit: snipped the last paragraph because I don't want to get involved in discussion of will they-won't they on this particular release date, it was just me being worried about people hyping themselves up massively and then being disappointed if their expectations are not met, which is a more general problem but I was wording it more immediately. So, cut that paragraph, replaced with this. [emoji=ridgeback happy size=1]
000000 wrote on 2021-10-28 09:25:03:

Just looking at this logistically and staying out of the whole Halloween-or-not for this particular release, I think more importantly than finishing assets would be the inevitable heavy lag the site gets hit with for new breed releases, especially heavily anticipated ones like this one seems to be. That absolutely needs to be planned around for the health of the site. As mentioned upthread, that's I think a major reason why a) they wouldn't want to release it during a flight festival (as it would actively hinder people from participating in the festival if they got lagged out) and b) they would probably want to release it on a weekday when they could have the maximum staff on hand to deal with any problems. (As cited above, the devs have spoken on this matter before.)

The problem with real-world holidays (again, in general, not this Halloween specifically) is that deliberately planning an event around them can be cute in other games that are more set up for it, but FR usually tries to skirt around real world holidays that aren't previously established onsite. It's not 100% successful, of course, as real life holidays from around the world will inevitably clash with an any site schedule that has celebrations 12 months out of 12, but in general this allows FR to make their own holidays and also allows people who are celebrating offline to focus on the holiday instead of having their attention split by an online game.

Again, I don't know how relevant this is here, and people are going to have their own thoughts on the matter— some people are going to want more online stuff to supplement perhaps small or quiet or cut short celebrations, whereas others are going to want less online stuff so they can focus on offline things— but it might be even more relevant for staff than for users. Staff need to be around to monitor, but they might want to focus on real life holiday business, whether it's in person or virtual, and thus might avoid planning big releases that way.

Edit: snipped the last paragraph because I don't want to get involved in discussion of will they-won't they on this particular release date, it was just me being worried about people hyping themselves up massively and then being disappointed if their expectations are not met, which is a more general problem but I was wording it more immediately. So, cut that paragraph, replaced with this.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7