Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Map Update Hype and Predictions thread
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
At the very least, I suspect they're going to incorporate the new locations mentioned within Bounty of the Elements. The stories I've only scrutinized are those for Ice, Fire, and Shadow (for obvious reasons), so I can't recall everything added, but hopefully places given names like the Dripcave Dregs, Flintlock Fumaroles, Great Forgeworks, Thorndark Altar, etcetera etcetera will make an appearance. And speaking of Shadow, I'd love to see those elusive portals that were such a big deal.

I can also see the Twisting Crescendo changing directions, and a new island surfacing in the ocean near Fire, since that was such a big deal before.
At the very least, I suspect they're going to incorporate the new locations mentioned within Bounty of the Elements. The stories I've only scrutinized are those for Ice, Fire, and Shadow (for obvious reasons), so I can't recall everything added, but hopefully places given names like the Dripcave Dregs, Flintlock Fumaroles, Great Forgeworks, Thorndark Altar, etcetera etcetera will make an appearance. And speaking of Shadow, I'd love to see those elusive portals that were such a big deal.

I can also see the Twisting Crescendo changing directions, and a new island surfacing in the ocean near Fire, since that was such a big deal before.
T7Qk8Sh.pngBVq8q9P.pngtj85yjR.pngnGvTyg3.pngAf2FgF8.png
gjkghgkjdh more lore to gush over! And I am really hoping for some scenes although since we got individual territory scenes for festivals, these are most likely going to be different, if we get any. However what I am most excited about are new locations. I am 100% sure I will enjoy this update immensely but there are some errors I noticed in the sneak peek and I really hope they fixed that. Three very clear errors: [LIST] [*]the Sea of a Thousand Currents can't be freshwater if it's connected to the oceans. It appears there are channels connecting the Sea and the outer oceans, two in Light territory, one in Arcane territory and one in Wind [*]the "rivers" appear to be connecting oceans as well which makes me really sad since rivers don't work like that :( rivers start off as springs or as collection of water in the highlands, they don't start off in the ocean and then flow to another ocean [*]the geographical positions of all the territories in relation to the equator don't make any sense if we look at the map as is and have North at the top of the map, so as long as no directions are shown on the map, it's fine [/LIST] This image below is my personal interpretation of how the continent should be positioned in relations to the equator [img]https://i.imgur.com/RNQhofb.png[/img] If these errors aren't addressed, then I will continue to ignore them, as I did with a lot of things on the previous map. I still can't wait to see the whole thing and try to make a geographically accurate rendition.
gjkghgkjdh more lore to gush over! And I am really hoping for some scenes although since we got individual territory scenes for festivals, these are most likely going to be different, if we get any. However what I am most excited about are new locations. I am 100% sure I will enjoy this update immensely but there are some errors I noticed in the sneak peek and I really hope they fixed that.

Three very clear errors:
  • the Sea of a Thousand Currents can't be freshwater if it's connected to the oceans. It appears there are channels connecting the Sea and the outer oceans, two in Light territory, one in Arcane territory and one in Wind
  • the "rivers" appear to be connecting oceans as well which makes me really sad since rivers don't work like that :( rivers start off as springs or as collection of water in the highlands, they don't start off in the ocean and then flow to another ocean
  • the geographical positions of all the territories in relation to the equator don't make any sense if we look at the map as is and have North at the top of the map, so as long as no directions are shown on the map, it's fine

This image below is my personal interpretation of how the continent should be positioned in relations to the equator

RNQhofb.png

If these errors aren't addressed, then I will continue to ignore them, as I did with a lot of things on the previous map. I still can't wait to see the whole thing and try to make a geographically accurate rendition.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
I rather hope I can move my clan back to the Emberglow Hearth. That or some other new location.
I rather hope I can move my clan back to the Emberglow Hearth. That or some other new location.
33785014.png66702371.png74483108.png
Help please let me pick where my clan is so I can upgrade my lair and not go to an icon I don't waaaant
Help please let me pick where my clan is so I can upgrade my lair and not go to an icon I don't waaaant
lik2pA1X.jpg
idk if this was mentioned yet (haven't read the whole thread), but I hope Windsinger shows up with the map, since it was mentioned in at least two different broadcast messages from him that he was looking for his map years ago (in Arcane and Plague). It would be neat if the map revamp is Windsinger's lost map in lore. Maybe he'll have a backpack and ask us to say map to get the map to jump out of it, and the map will start dancing and singing.

Also I'm excited for the new locations and updated art.
idk if this was mentioned yet (haven't read the whole thread), but I hope Windsinger shows up with the map, since it was mentioned in at least two different broadcast messages from him that he was looking for his map years ago (in Arcane and Plague). It would be neat if the map revamp is Windsinger's lost map in lore. Maybe he'll have a backpack and ask us to say map to get the map to jump out of it, and the map will start dancing and singing.

Also I'm excited for the new locations and updated art.
MUYNhfy.png
VPnffeY.png
Achillean (NB Achillean flag)
rix3ppo.png
WKtl2lb.png
J7D1quC.png
l4bF82r.pngR9wtXaf.pngiZMfJug.pngwE8InSj.pngBjG9OOU.pnga6YPmbH.gif47CqiMq.gif
ASbXVY4.png
bYt72YT.png
tqGkHih.png
4SE4T9N.png
KrIo0N3.png
t6zNkmJ.png
9JeQCtz.png
[quote name="Natron" date="2021-02-20 16:26:42" ] gjkghgkjdh more lore to gush over! And I am really hoping for some scenes although since we got individual territory scenes for festivals, these are most likely going to be different, if we get any. However what I am most excited about are new locations. I am 100% sure I will enjoy this update immensely but there are some errors I noticed in the sneak peek and I really hope they fixed that. Three very clear errors: [LIST] [*]the Sea of a Thousand Currents can't be freshwater if it's connected to the oceans. It appears there are channels connecting the Sea and the outer oceans, two in Light territory, one in Arcane territory and one in Wind [*]the "rivers" appear to be connecting oceans as well which makes me really sad since rivers don't work like that :( rivers start off as springs or as collection of water in the highlands, they don't start off in the ocean and then flow to another ocean [*]the geographical positions of all the territories in relation to the equator don't make any sense if we look at the map as is and have North at the top of the map, so as long as no directions are shown on the map, it's fine [/LIST] [img]https://i.imgur.com/RNQhofb.png[/img] If these errors aren't addressed, then I will continue to ignore them, as I did with a lot of things on the previous map. I still can't wait to see the whole thing and try to make a geographically accurate rendition. [/quote] @Natron Where did you find that equator map? The compass on the current official map has north pointing almost exactly towards the top of the map. I've enhanced the image to show it since it is kinda faded. [img]https://i.imgur.com/WAxX9CO.png[/img] Also these descriptions from the map and their locations in the elemental territories line up with the compass: [quote]The Beacon of the Radiant Eye A crumbled, but welcoming tower that resides on the [b]eastern[/b] seaboard. From this cliff, the Lightweaver watches and waits for any dragon that may be making a trip across the sea. It is an important vantage point; she can survey the golden rolling hills speckled with ruins and redwoods, and see everywhere the light touches.[/quote] [quote]Emberglow Hearth In the [b]northern[/b] region of fire, the magma vents are gentle and free of the volatile pressure troubling the rest of the realm. Small fiery pools form, attracting edible salamanders and fireflies and providing natural open-hearth furnaces, ideal for apprentice metalworking dragons. Able to supply both utility and sustenance in vast quantities, the Emberglow Hearth is a popular starting point for fledgeling lairs.[/quote] [quote]The Twisting Crescendo The final trial of the Windsinger's children is a powerful vortex on the [b]western[/b] shore. This great storm has raged for thousands of years, and is said to be the residual effect of an ancient time in which the gods of air and ice quarreled. Torrents of angry air pull clouds in an aggressive spiral, and even the most adept wind dragons avoid the eye, a place from which many rarely return. [/quote]
Natron wrote on 2021-02-20 16:26:42:
gjkghgkjdh more lore to gush over! And I am really hoping for some scenes although since we got individual territory scenes for festivals, these are most likely going to be different, if we get any. However what I am most excited about are new locations. I am 100% sure I will enjoy this update immensely but there are some errors I noticed in the sneak peek and I really hope they fixed that.

Three very clear errors:
  • the Sea of a Thousand Currents can't be freshwater if it's connected to the oceans. It appears there are channels connecting the Sea and the outer oceans, two in Light territory, one in Arcane territory and one in Wind
  • the "rivers" appear to be connecting oceans as well which makes me really sad since rivers don't work like that :( rivers start off as springs or as collection of water in the highlands, they don't start off in the ocean and then flow to another ocean
  • the geographical positions of all the territories in relation to the equator don't make any sense if we look at the map as is and have North at the top of the map, so as long as no directions are shown on the map, it's fine

RNQhofb.png

If these errors aren't addressed, then I will continue to ignore them, as I did with a lot of things on the previous map. I still can't wait to see the whole thing and try to make a geographically accurate rendition.
@Natron

Where did you find that equator map? The compass on the current official map has north pointing almost exactly towards the top of the map. I've enhanced the image to show it since it is kinda faded.

WAxX9CO.png

Also these descriptions from the map and their locations in the elemental territories line up with the compass:

Quote:
The Beacon of the Radiant Eye
A crumbled, but welcoming tower that resides on the eastern seaboard. From this cliff, the Lightweaver watches and waits for any dragon that may be making a trip across the sea. It is an important vantage point; she can survey the golden rolling hills speckled with ruins and redwoods, and see everywhere the light touches.
Quote:
Emberglow Hearth
In the northern region of fire, the magma vents are gentle and free of the volatile pressure troubling the rest of the realm. Small fiery pools form, attracting edible salamanders and fireflies and providing natural open-hearth furnaces, ideal for apprentice metalworking dragons. Able to supply both utility and sustenance in vast quantities, the Emberglow Hearth is a popular starting point for fledgeling lairs.
Quote:
The Twisting Crescendo
The final trial of the Windsinger's children is a powerful vortex on the western shore. This great storm has raged for thousands of years, and is said to be the residual effect of an ancient time in which the gods of air and ice quarreled. Torrents of angry air pull clouds in an aggressive spiral, and even the most adept wind dragons avoid the eye, a place from which many rarely return.
MUYNhfy.png
VPnffeY.png
Achillean (NB Achillean flag)
rix3ppo.png
WKtl2lb.png
J7D1quC.png
l4bF82r.pngR9wtXaf.pngiZMfJug.pngwE8InSj.pngBjG9OOU.pnga6YPmbH.gif47CqiMq.gif
ASbXVY4.png
bYt72YT.png
tqGkHih.png
4SE4T9N.png
KrIo0N3.png
t6zNkmJ.png
9JeQCtz.png
@namira no no I made that for myself to make elemental regions plausible. That map is a screenshot of the sneak peek edited by myself to show you how it should be as you can't have a hot tropical rainforest and a hot desert in the north, then a moderate climate around the equator, then another hot desert further from the equator and then a classic cold pole at the very south. That is a climatological error which is why I'm pointing it out! It is important to point out that I am completely aware of the whole "magical forces" aspect but I am specifically referring to errors in logic about climatology and geographical positioning. Lore has shown that Sornieth acts very similar to how Earth acts which implies that the [b]way[/b] the climate works with an atmosphere like Earth's is also the same (as that's a universal constant, regardless of reality), and the Staff have tried SO hard to maintain the lore and world building fairly realistic which is something that's kept me interested for 6 years, so I am just pointing out that this contradicts a lot about what the lore says. That is why I said: [quote]the geographical positions of all the territories in relation to the equator don't make any sense if we look at the map as is and have North at the top of the map[/quote] "As is" means art-wise, and if we took that map [i]as is[/i] and put the North at the top, it makes no climatological sense. As you said, classic maps have North usually at the top, then West to left, East to the right and South at the bottom, and that's exactly what the logical issue here is. I am sorry if this was confusing from my post, I definitely should have pointed out that I was the one who added those cardinal directions, I am so sorry about that! I just didn't want to ramble on, but now that you asked I now have to gjhgdjkhdg Here is a comprehensive analysis of the current map (this does not include the new map which I will rework once again once it gets released): [quote][center][size=5][b]Map analysis, climate & geography[/b][/size][/center] I am a person of science and science fiction, or generally known as a nerd (and an obnoxious one at that!) so I am here to lay out some facts, characteristics and phenomena that occur on Earth and are applicable to Sornieth, another terrestrial planet with an atmosphere, rotation speed and axis similar to Earth's. [right][size=1]We don't do magic here!1 :steam emoji:[/size][/right] So, we have our conventional World Map for aesthetic, lore and practical purposes. But, how geographically accurate is it? Where are the actual geographical locations of specific territories and what are their characteristics such as climates, altitudes, flora and fauna? We know for certain that The Southern Icefield is obviously in the south, just like its name suggests. According to lore, the planet features seasons very similar to Earth's which means Sornieth's rotational axis is at a certain degree. That means both hemispheres go through their warm and cold seasons, with areas closer to the poles with larger temperature differences, and areas closer to the equator with consistent, warm or hot temperatures. I will now ask you to look at our "official" World Map (which is a caricature) and you try to figure out what seems odd about it. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/sepia.jpg[/img] Now that you've taken a look, tell me... how do you feel about the Shadow and Light territory being in between two hot (arid or tropical) areas? Shadow and Light are portrayed as territories with a moderate climate, but how is that geographically possible? The Sea of a Thousand Currents has a tropical climate, The Shifting Expanse a hot and arid (desert) climate with steppes and savannas in some areas, Dragonhome also a hot or moderate arid climate and The Viridian Labyrinth a tropical climate (rainforest). How are random climates so wildly scattered across the continent? Well let's take a look at this. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Eix12fl.png[/img] [LIST] [*]The Tangled Wood and Sunbeam Ruins can maintain their moderate climate only if their territory is at high altitudes, very similar to [i]Nepal[/i] with certain highly continental areas, hot, dry areas like those of [i]Sinai[/i], savannah lowlands and some oceanic areas closer to the seas. Sunbeam Ruins are even according to lore the highest point of the continent which makes the moderate climate plausible. The Tangled Wood however is said to be covered in a mist through which most of the star's light doesn't penetrate. The territory itself might be in an enormous cave system or a semi-open cave system with its own climate and "flora" that doesn't rely on photosynthesis, it can also be high altitude wetlands with thick evergreen forests that limit the amount of sunlight that comes through, such as the [i]Bitahai Wetlands[/i]. The extreme humidity in the area would maintain the ever-lasting fog. Maybe it's also the area that goes through most solar eclipses. Literally nothing else comes to mind. JUST FOUND OUT, the Potted Deepmine Fungi confirms that the Tangled Wood has gigantic cave networks which might indicate that the reason why it's "dark" all the time. [center][item=potted deepmine fungi][/center] A warm temperate climate with either warm or hot summers and cool winters, some areas continental, and areas closer to the sea are oceanic. [*]The Viridian Labyrinth is also in the tropical belt but at much lower altitudes, very similar to [i]Panama[/i] or [i]Indonesia[/i]. Rainforests and jungles thrive, your general Central American or Amazon-esque aesthetic, not much to be said about this. Very hot and the temperatures feel much more intense because of high humidity. A tropical fully humid or monsoonal climate, maybe some areas have dryer winters, primarily oceanic except in the central area, isolated by highlands. [*]Dragonhome is obviously a desert area, highly elevated in some areas, very similar to the [i]Chihuahuan Desert[/i] or the [i]Sonoran Desert[/i], some northern parts more similar to the [i]Grand Canyon[/i]. The north, northwest and the majority of the west coast are separated from the inland by a vast mountain range, preventing the humidity from the ocean to reach the inland and keeps it dry (thank you, Anukite!!) I'm sure there are some areas with more fertile soils, perhaps near rivers but it's mostly desert-like. A cold or hot arid steppe or desert climate, primarily continental. [*]Starfall Isles are a pretty elevated area, similar to some parts of [i]Chile[/i]. It features lower woody areas and plains but mostly consists of highlands. A warm temperate climate with hot or warm summers and dry cool winters, most areas are continental, the isles are oceanic. [*]The Scarred Wasteland is, as the name suggests, a red, iron-rich wasteland plateau, very similar to the [i]Atacama Desert[/i], but with some swampy mini-biomes. No, it is not made out of flesh, no it is not pestilent and bloody because something like that wouldn’t just be such a health hazard that practically every possible disease would spread (see War of The Worlds and their way of terraforming) but organic material disintegrates very fast and turns into fertile soil. HOWEVER, what is possible are thick and bulbous plants and trees that spread throughout the soil, trying to get to some water and preserving the fluids inside their thick roots. What is possible is having dry bone-like organic structures (plants that live in symbiosis), small oases and swampy areas. Some areas are in higher altitudes, the areas closer to the Sea of a Thousand Currents are lower. Since the area is surrounded by mountain ranges or elevated areas (mountains of Starfall Isles, hills of The Windswept Plateau and desert hills of Dragonhome), it is isolated from the seas except on its eastern side where (I can only guess) the wetter areas would be. A hot or cold arid climate, primarily continental, oceanic at the border with Water territory. [*]Sea of a Thousand Currents is in the tropical belt and consists of tropical sandy shores, islands and mostly of the inner sea which seems to be either connected with a seawater inlet that spreads through Sunbeam Ruins, or is completely isolated from the other ocean. According to the lore, it is actually a freshwater sea but that doesn’t make a lot of sense. Is it completely devoid of salt or does it have a certain level of salinity, something similar to the [i]Caspian Sea[/i]? Earthen types of corals do not grow in freshwater or brackish water so I can only guess that Sea of a Thousand Currents has some different sorts of corals (I mean, this [b]is[/b] another planet we’re talking about). However, if the Sea really is isolated from the other ocean, then that means it cannot have large tides, or any. To be of marine nature, it must at least be brackish. The name also indicates that there are many currents, yet how would they appear if it wasn’t connected to the ocean? Sure, rivers can create currents but not nearly as powerful ones as the ones that are in the ocean and if it’s not connected to the rest, then the water cannot circulate. The World Map also lists both seawater and freshwater organisms as its inhabitants, what does that actually mean? Since this is a different planet after all, it is possible that creatures who just evolved to look similar to Earthen counterparts are in fact all either freshwater or brackish water inhabitants. As CalliopeRising added, it is possible that Sea of a Thousand Currents has subterranean connections to the rest of the ocean or maybe it has hundreds of thousands of underwater springs (vrulje) that cause a bit of stirring. With that aside, the area has either a tropical monsoonal climate or a tropical climate with dry winters. [*]The Shifting Expanse is a vast and arid plain with lowlands and highlands, vast sandy and rocky deserts and plateaus. It features savannas, steppes, sandy and rocky deserts with oases, marine shores, and rivers with mini-biomes. I am pretty sure that most of the desert plain is sunny with periodic storm seasons, but other than that the constant air circulation causes frequent thunderstorms in the continental region, very similar to [i]Uganda[/i], except it’s not tropical. Many sandy desert areas also go through incredible scenery changes during rain season where thousands of ponds accumulate, some remain throughout the entire year, some smaller ones dry out, which is very similar to the [i]Maranhenses National Park[/i]. A hot arid desert climate, oceanic in the east, probably “Mediterranean” like [i]northern Egypt[/i]. [*]The Ashfall Waste consists primarily of lowlands except the volcanic mountain arc that spreads through the centre. It features an array of different zones, from volcanic mountain ranges over highlands and plateaus all the way to steppes, forests and coastal regions. It is very similar to [i]South Africa[/i]. Volcanic activity and burning of fossil fuel contributes to the heat, as CalliopeRising explained. A humid temperate climate with warm summers in the south, arid hot steppes in the centre, temperate highlands and mountain ranges, oceanic near the coast. [*]The Windswept Plateau is mainly very similar to [i]China[/i] with its climate and biomes while it’s very similar to [i]Cape Horn[/i] in the very south with constant moderate or extreme winds due to air circulation. It features everything from lowlands and meadows over temperate bamboo forests to mountain ranges and plateaus, very similar to [i]Tianzi[/i]. It has a warm moderate climate and cold dry tundras in the very south. [*]The Southern Icefield is primarily cold. In the very north of the territory, the climate and biomes are similar to [i]Iceland’s[/i], mainly tundras. The more south you go, the drier and more inhospitable it gets. Just generally similar to [i]Antarctica[/i]. A subpolar oceanic climate in the very north, polar tundra in the north and polar frost in the centre and south. [/LIST][/quote] Again, very important: one can enjoy and reshape lore in whichever way they want to, I am just really passionate about this site and I want the world building to be consistent.
@namira no no I made that for myself to make elemental regions plausible. That map is a screenshot of the sneak peek edited by myself to show you how it should be as you can't have a hot tropical rainforest and a hot desert in the north, then a moderate climate around the equator, then another hot desert further from the equator and then a classic cold pole at the very south. That is a climatological error which is why I'm pointing it out! It is important to point out that I am completely aware of the whole "magical forces" aspect but I am specifically referring to errors in logic about climatology and geographical positioning. Lore has shown that Sornieth acts very similar to how Earth acts which implies that the way the climate works with an atmosphere like Earth's is also the same (as that's a universal constant, regardless of reality), and the Staff have tried SO hard to maintain the lore and world building fairly realistic which is something that's kept me interested for 6 years, so I am just pointing out that this contradicts a lot about what the lore says. That is why I said:
Quote:
the geographical positions of all the territories in relation to the equator don't make any sense if we look at the map as is and have North at the top of the map

"As is" means art-wise, and if we took that map as is and put the North at the top, it makes no climatological sense. As you said, classic maps have North usually at the top, then West to left, East to the right and South at the bottom, and that's exactly what the logical issue here is. I am sorry if this was confusing from my post, I definitely should have pointed out that I was the one who added those cardinal directions, I am so sorry about that! I just didn't want to ramble on, but now that you asked I now have to gjhgdjkhdg

Here is a comprehensive analysis of the current map (this does not include the new map which I will rework once again once it gets released):
Quote:
Map analysis, climate & geography

I am a person of science and science fiction, or generally known as a nerd (and an obnoxious one at that!) so I am here to lay out some facts, characteristics and phenomena that occur on Earth and are applicable to Sornieth, another terrestrial planet with an atmosphere, rotation speed and axis similar to Earth's.
We don't do magic here!1 :steam emoji:

So, we have our conventional World Map for aesthetic, lore and practical purposes. But, how geographically accurate is it? Where are the actual geographical locations of specific territories and what are their characteristics such as climates, altitudes, flora and fauna?

We know for certain that The Southern Icefield is obviously in the south, just like its name suggests. According to lore, the planet features seasons very similar to Earth's which means Sornieth's rotational axis is at a certain degree. That means both hemispheres go through their warm and cold seasons, with areas closer to the poles with larger temperature differences, and areas closer to the equator with consistent, warm or hot temperatures. I will now ask you to look at our "official" World Map (which is a caricature) and you try to figure out what seems odd about it.

sepia.jpg

Now that you've taken a look, tell me... how do you feel about the Shadow and Light territory being in between two hot (arid or tropical) areas? Shadow and Light are portrayed as territories with a moderate climate, but how is that geographically possible? The Sea of a Thousand Currents has a tropical climate, The Shifting Expanse a hot and arid (desert) climate with steppes and savannas in some areas, Dragonhome also a hot or moderate arid climate and The Viridian Labyrinth a tropical climate (rainforest). How are random climates so wildly scattered across the continent? Well let's take a look at this.

Eix12fl.png
  • The Tangled Wood and Sunbeam Ruins can maintain their moderate climate only if their territory is at high altitudes, very similar to Nepal with certain highly continental areas, hot, dry areas like those of Sinai, savannah lowlands and some oceanic areas closer to the seas. Sunbeam Ruins are even according to lore the highest point of the continent which makes the moderate climate plausible. The Tangled Wood however is said to be covered in a mist through which most of the star's light doesn't penetrate. The territory itself might be in an enormous cave system or a semi-open cave system with its own climate and "flora" that doesn't rely on photosynthesis, it can also be high altitude wetlands with thick evergreen forests that limit the amount of sunlight that comes through, such as the Bitahai Wetlands. The extreme humidity in the area would maintain the ever-lasting fog. Maybe it's also the area that goes through most solar eclipses. Literally nothing else comes to mind.
    JUST FOUND OUT, the Potted Deepmine Fungi confirms that the Tangled Wood has gigantic cave networks which might indicate that the reason why it's "dark" all the time.
    Potted Deepmine Fungi
    A warm temperate climate with either warm or hot summers and cool winters, some areas continental, and areas closer to the sea are oceanic.
  • The Viridian Labyrinth is also in the tropical belt but at much lower altitudes, very similar to Panama or Indonesia. Rainforests and jungles thrive, your general Central American or Amazon-esque aesthetic, not much to be said about this. Very hot and the temperatures feel much more intense because of high humidity.
    A tropical fully humid or monsoonal climate, maybe some areas have dryer winters, primarily oceanic except in the central area, isolated by highlands.
  • Dragonhome is obviously a desert area, highly elevated in some areas, very similar to the Chihuahuan Desert or the Sonoran Desert, some northern parts more similar to the Grand Canyon. The north, northwest and the majority of the west coast are separated from the inland by a vast mountain range, preventing the humidity from the ocean to reach the inland and keeps it dry (thank you, Anukite!!) I'm sure there are some areas with more fertile soils, perhaps near rivers but it's mostly desert-like.
    A cold or hot arid steppe or desert climate, primarily continental.
  • Starfall Isles are a pretty elevated area, similar to some parts of Chile. It features lower woody areas and plains but mostly consists of highlands.
    A warm temperate climate with hot or warm summers and dry cool winters, most areas are continental, the isles are oceanic.
  • The Scarred Wasteland is, as the name suggests, a red, iron-rich wasteland plateau, very similar to the Atacama Desert, but with some swampy mini-biomes. No, it is not made out of flesh, no it is not pestilent and bloody because something like that wouldn’t just be such a health hazard that practically every possible disease would spread (see War of The Worlds and their way of terraforming) but organic material disintegrates very fast and turns into fertile soil. HOWEVER, what is possible are thick and bulbous plants and trees that spread throughout the soil, trying to get to some water and preserving the fluids inside their thick roots. What is possible is having dry bone-like organic structures (plants that live in symbiosis), small oases and swampy areas. Some areas are in higher altitudes, the areas closer to the Sea of a Thousand Currents are lower. Since the area is surrounded by mountain ranges or elevated areas (mountains of Starfall Isles, hills of The Windswept Plateau and desert hills of Dragonhome), it is isolated from the seas except on its eastern side where (I can only guess) the wetter areas would be.
    A hot or cold arid climate, primarily continental, oceanic at the border with Water territory.
  • Sea of a Thousand Currents is in the tropical belt and consists of tropical sandy shores, islands and mostly of the inner sea which seems to be either connected with a seawater inlet that spreads through Sunbeam Ruins, or is completely isolated from the other ocean. According to the lore, it is actually a freshwater sea but that doesn’t make a lot of sense. Is it completely devoid of salt or does it have a certain level of salinity, something similar to the Caspian Sea? Earthen types of corals do not grow in freshwater or brackish water so I can only guess that Sea of a Thousand Currents has some different sorts of corals (I mean, this is another planet we’re talking about). However, if the Sea really is isolated from the other ocean, then that means it cannot have large tides, or any. To be of marine nature, it must at least be brackish. The name also indicates that there are many currents, yet how would they appear if it wasn’t connected to the ocean? Sure, rivers can create currents but not nearly as powerful ones as the ones that are in the ocean and if it’s not connected to the rest, then the water cannot circulate. The World Map also lists both seawater and freshwater organisms as its inhabitants, what does that actually mean? Since this is a different planet after all, it is possible that creatures who just evolved to look similar to Earthen counterparts are in fact all either freshwater or brackish water inhabitants.
    As CalliopeRising added, it is possible that Sea of a Thousand Currents has subterranean connections to the rest of the ocean or maybe it has hundreds of thousands of underwater springs (vrulje) that cause a bit of stirring.
    With that aside, the area has either a tropical monsoonal climate or a tropical climate with dry winters.
  • The Shifting Expanse is a vast and arid plain with lowlands and highlands, vast sandy and rocky deserts and plateaus. It features savannas, steppes, sandy and rocky deserts with oases, marine shores, and rivers with mini-biomes. I am pretty sure that most of the desert plain is sunny with periodic storm seasons, but other than that the constant air circulation causes frequent thunderstorms in the continental region, very similar to Uganda, except it’s not tropical. Many sandy desert areas also go through incredible scenery changes during rain season where thousands of ponds accumulate, some remain throughout the entire year, some smaller ones dry out, which is very similar to the Maranhenses National Park.
    A hot arid desert climate, oceanic in the east, probably “Mediterranean” like northern Egypt.
  • The Ashfall Waste consists primarily of lowlands except the volcanic mountain arc that spreads through the centre. It features an array of different zones, from volcanic mountain ranges over highlands and plateaus all the way to steppes, forests and coastal regions. It is very similar to South Africa. Volcanic activity and burning of fossil fuel contributes to the heat, as CalliopeRising explained.
    A humid temperate climate with warm summers in the south, arid hot steppes in the centre, temperate highlands and mountain ranges, oceanic near the coast.
  • The Windswept Plateau is mainly very similar to China with its climate and biomes while it’s very similar to Cape Horn in the very south with constant moderate or extreme winds due to air circulation. It features everything from lowlands and meadows over temperate bamboo forests to mountain ranges and plateaus, very similar to Tianzi.
    It has a warm moderate climate and cold dry tundras in the very south.
  • The Southern Icefield is primarily cold. In the very north of the territory, the climate and biomes are similar to Iceland’s, mainly tundras. The more south you go, the drier and more inhospitable it gets. Just generally similar to Antarctica.
    A subpolar oceanic climate in the very north, polar tundra in the north and polar frost in the centre and south.

Again, very important: one can enjoy and reshape lore in whichever way they want to, I am just really passionate about this site and I want the world building to be consistent.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
[quote name="Natron" date="2021-02-20 16:26:42" ] [LIST] [*]the Sea of a Thousand Currents[b] can't be freshwater if it's connected to the oceans. [/b]It appears there are channels connecting the Sea and the outer oceans, two in Light territory, one in Arcane territory and one in Wind [/quote] its not so simple as "salt water goes in so it will be salty obviously" ***it could be both. or have saltwater rivers flowing under it. Freshwater and saltwater have "Mixing boundaries" where they mix but only kind of a little bit., the two types of water tends to push on one another. Especially if the temperatures and salt contents, vary. Its not quite the same as dumping some salt in a glass of water and putting the salty water in a pot of fresh water and making it salty. bodies of water have different densities because of the salt and temperatures. The term for it is Halocline, in real life looks like this: the atlantic and pacific oceans are so different in salt and temperature levels that they dont mix well except the denser waters of the pacific. [img]https://i.imgur.com/PyMjl3H.png[/img] or two rivers meet it can look like: [img]https://i.imgur.com/W9KcQ2C.png[/img] or in caves where water is more still: it can look like this [img]https://i.imgur.com/twI9yDu.png[/img]and can give the illusion of there being air where the freshwater is sitting ontop of the saltwater. There are also examples of "underwater rivers "and such because of this. they're really spooky and cool here is a 1 minute long video showing a small demonstration of dyed waters with different densities/temperatures layering rather than mixing as well to show how it works on a small scale. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fqOtgG6vik]link[/url] there are also areal world earth example of fresh water seas( a lake really) that are 600+ feet below sea-level and have rivers that feed into them. There is also a giant freshwater sea buried under the actual Atlantic ocean as well. a giant aquifer of underground freshwater, that no one knows the true size of off the coast of the US.
Quote:
its not so simple as "salt water goes in so it will be salty obviously"
***it could be both.
or have saltwater rivers flowing under it.

Freshwater and saltwater have "Mixing boundaries" where they mix but only kind of a little bit., the two types of water tends to push on one another. Especially if the temperatures and salt contents, vary.
Its not quite the same as dumping some salt in a glass of water and putting the salty water in a pot of fresh water and making it salty.

bodies of water have different densities because of the salt and temperatures.

The term for it is Halocline,
in real life looks like this:
the atlantic and pacific oceans are so different in salt and temperature levels that they dont mix well except the denser waters of the pacific.
PyMjl3H.png
or two rivers meet it can look like:
W9KcQ2C.png

or in caves where water is more still: it can look like this twI9yDu.pngand can give the illusion of there being air where the freshwater is sitting ontop of the saltwater.

There are also examples of "underwater rivers "and such because of this. they're really spooky and cool

here is a 1 minute long video showing a small demonstration of dyed waters with different densities/temperatures layering rather than mixing as well to show how it works on a small scale.
link

there are also areal world earth example of fresh water seas( a lake really) that are 600+ feet below sea-level and have rivers that feed into them.

There is also a giant freshwater sea buried under the actual Atlantic ocean as well. a giant aquifer of underground freshwater, that no one knows the true size of off the coast of the US.

A dragon dressed up as bubbles and fish that has a Bio full of lesser known tips and tricks to Flight Rising
So much. I am so excited for all of this. Mostly LORE. I want lots, and loads of lore. I want flight descriptions that more accurately reflect the flights. The map was some of the first lore that FR wrote, and things have diverged significantly from what they first wrote.
I would love to see more variation in vegetation and elevation within each flight. For example, the earth flight map makes look like it's just dust, dirt, and rocks. Yet, when you go gather food you get a wide range of good, green things. I want to see that reflected in the map.
So much. I am so excited for all of this. Mostly LORE. I want lots, and loads of lore. I want flight descriptions that more accurately reflect the flights. The map was some of the first lore that FR wrote, and things have diverged significantly from what they first wrote.
I would love to see more variation in vegetation and elevation within each flight. For example, the earth flight map makes look like it's just dust, dirt, and rocks. Yet, when you go gather food you get a wide range of good, green things. I want to see that reflected in the map.
Y02PS6v.png
i think it might just be an art update, but it'd be cool it included some other things! ^^
i think it might just be an art update, but it'd be cool it included some other things! ^^
8WTwXo3.gif he/they/xey
chaotic neutral
g585y1V.png
OxagJgG.png

z3FSuck.png
apUeZZ4.png
W3QjiXj.png tI1ezOM.png
2557821.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10