Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | complaining about the dom system
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23
[quote name="Jessyta" date="2021-01-26 12:47:33" ] I have high hopes Water will be able to beat Earth later this year when they face off. [/quote] the dream. back in the day, a history lesson for those who joined during open joining and not timed enrollment, Earth had 3000-4000 members not all of whom were active and placed pretty poorly. it was considered they had too few members to actively fight with and they weren't known for being dom-centric. then people realized that due to Earth's overwhelmingly smaller size, it was pretty easy to get placements from a few mass exalters doing their mass exalting thing, so those people moved into Earth and now if you want to get frequent dom placements or you're a heavy exalter, Earth is the place to be. the hibden has contributed to dragon prices skyrocketing so much during battles that it is extremely expensive for flights to do proper conquest battles these days. personally? I think the size ratios need a tweak. it used to be a balancing factor and now it's "taken advantage of" moreso than if those few mass exalters moved to a flight like Shadow (wherein as a much smaller percentage of the population they wouldn't be able to 'carry' to first so often).
Jessyta wrote on 2021-01-26 12:47:33:
I have high hopes Water will be able to beat Earth later this year when they face off.
the dream.

back in the day, a history lesson for those who joined during open joining and not timed enrollment, Earth had 3000-4000 members not all of whom were active and placed pretty poorly. it was considered they had too few members to actively fight with and they weren't known for being dom-centric.

then people realized that due to Earth's overwhelmingly smaller size, it was pretty easy to get placements from a few mass exalters doing their mass exalting thing, so those people moved into Earth and now if you want to get frequent dom placements or you're a heavy exalter, Earth is the place to be.

the hibden has contributed to dragon prices skyrocketing so much during battles that it is extremely expensive for flights to do proper conquest battles these days.

personally? I think the size ratios need a tweak. it used to be a balancing factor and now it's "taken advantage of" moreso than if those few mass exalters moved to a flight like Shadow (wherein as a much smaller percentage of the population they wouldn't be able to 'carry' to first so often).
1HDUhks.png
[quote name="Thunderbird" date="2021-01-26 12:58:33" ] I think something that we as players can do is to do in-flight only pushes. No outside support. The it would really be Flight X v. Flight Y instead of Flight X + everyone going after the KS item v. Flight Y + everyone going after the limited time UMA prints. Of course you will always have players who source out to other flights, but I think in-flight only might make things more fair. [/quote] It's REALLY hard to do in-flight only pushes and still beat out the powerhouses One of the only times that a flight said that they were going to conquest push but did everything in flight, they ended up getting passed on the board by... you guessed it.. Earth. Earth has so many people that earn their money by exalting, if other flights do not give them a reason to send dragons to them, they will exalt themselves and climb the board (which is exactly what we are seeing this week!). And even if a flight does not have official OOF buys/raffles, if they make a good in-flight raffle, it is literally impossible to prevent individuals from using mercs to get OOF support. And if it's a flight vs flight battle, a good in flight raffle is almost mandatory... because the main problem with dom is that the rewards are not worth what it costs to win when 2 flights decided to push. That said... Plague is doing an uncontested in-flight conquest push next week. It will be interesting to see if they can beat Earth's exalt culture... esp. if earth has fatigue.
Thunderbird wrote on 2021-01-26 12:58:33:
I think something that we as players can do is to do in-flight only pushes. No outside support. The it would really be Flight X v. Flight Y instead of Flight X + everyone going after the KS item v. Flight Y + everyone going after the limited time UMA prints. Of course you will always have players who source out to other flights, but I think in-flight only might make things more fair.
It's REALLY hard to do in-flight only pushes and still beat out the powerhouses

One of the only times that a flight said that they were going to conquest push but did everything in flight, they ended up getting passed on the board by... you guessed it.. Earth. Earth has so many people that earn their money by exalting, if other flights do not give them a reason to send dragons to them, they will exalt themselves and climb the board (which is exactly what we are seeing this week!).

And even if a flight does not have official OOF buys/raffles, if they make a good in-flight raffle, it is literally impossible to prevent individuals from using mercs to get OOF support. And if it's a flight vs flight battle, a good in flight raffle is almost mandatory... because the main problem with dom is that the rewards are not worth what it costs to win when 2 flights decided to push.

That said... Plague is doing an uncontested in-flight conquest push next week. It will be interesting to see if they can beat Earth's exalt culture... esp. if earth has fatigue.
ZQGfAQY.png
[quote name="Valemora" date="2021-01-26 13:01:37" ] I still feel it's unfair to blame Earth for others not trying for Dom. Earth hasn't had a battle since April 2018. That was nearly 3 years ago. No one stops other filghts from conquesting and battling between themselves, it's just that no one wants to spend money on battles anymore as they're too expensive ¯\_(?)_/¯ Earth has never surpassed a full-on conquesting flight either. And as for the size... in the recent Light vs Fire battle Light won, despite being way larger. There were lots of flips, true, but still - a much bigger flight won. Size matters, but it doesn't guarantee a win. [/quote] I agree with all points made here
Valemora wrote on 2021-01-26 13:01:37:
I still feel it's unfair to blame Earth for others not trying for Dom. Earth hasn't had a battle since April 2018. That was nearly 3 years ago. No one stops other filghts from conquesting and battling between themselves, it's just that no one wants to spend money on battles anymore as they're too expensive ¯\_(?)_/¯ Earth has never surpassed a full-on conquesting flight either.

And as for the size... in the recent Light vs Fire battle Light won, despite being way larger. There were lots of flips, true, but still - a much bigger flight won. Size matters, but it doesn't guarantee a win.

I agree with all points made here
He/Him | Gryffindor | Lawful Good | Sagittarius | FR+2

MZeTqmO.png
I would really like a more "single player" aspect to be added to dom in some way. Sure, getting money is real nice, but it doesn't feel like a reward for dom. It's a reward for exalting. And whole the two are the same when you step back and look at it, it doesn't feel that way. Plus, there are more ways than just exalting to get money (hoard selling and fair grounds), so it's not specially a dom reward. It's just a catch all and if there are easier or less tedious ways to get that reward (or at least the portion of the reward you want), then why not do that?

I think it's a great idea in general, it just needs to appeal more on an individual basis, make people want to push for the top spot and feel like they still accomplished something even if their flight loses. Because every individual feels like they've done a lot of exalting during pushes mostly, and to not get that one prize makes it feel wasted. That's not great, on an individual level. Dom is a team game in a setting where team is hard to feel a part of. I think that's the biggest thing with it.
I would really like a more "single player" aspect to be added to dom in some way. Sure, getting money is real nice, but it doesn't feel like a reward for dom. It's a reward for exalting. And whole the two are the same when you step back and look at it, it doesn't feel that way. Plus, there are more ways than just exalting to get money (hoard selling and fair grounds), so it's not specially a dom reward. It's just a catch all and if there are easier or less tedious ways to get that reward (or at least the portion of the reward you want), then why not do that?

I think it's a great idea in general, it just needs to appeal more on an individual basis, make people want to push for the top spot and feel like they still accomplished something even if their flight loses. Because every individual feels like they've done a lot of exalting during pushes mostly, and to not get that one prize makes it feel wasted. That's not great, on an individual level. Dom is a team game in a setting where team is hard to feel a part of. I think that's the biggest thing with it.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I honestly hope that they change it very soon. I always see my flight at the way bottom and we rarely ever get to the top.
I honestly hope that they change it very soon. I always see my flight at the way bottom and we rarely ever get to the top.
dT9HQge.png
H0t7Ypl.png
bYt72YT.png
oaolHwW.png
5hF3FGk.png
OQwOmsS.png
There needs to be more to encourage actual Dom battles. Right now, it's basically just X flight decides that Y week they're going to push for Dom and then their win is uncontested except maybe by Earth because they just exist. Either FR needs to decide as a community that Dom battles are good and worth the expense or a feature needs to be implemented that does the same thing.

Also, with the two-week activity thing, larger flights end up with more accounts counted towards the total because the chances of someone logging in once in that two week period and then not contributing is higher in Shadow than in Earth because Shadow just straight up has 5x the accounts than Earth does.
There needs to be more to encourage actual Dom battles. Right now, it's basically just X flight decides that Y week they're going to push for Dom and then their win is uncontested except maybe by Earth because they just exist. Either FR needs to decide as a community that Dom battles are good and worth the expense or a feature needs to be implemented that does the same thing.

Also, with the two-week activity thing, larger flights end up with more accounts counted towards the total because the chances of someone logging in once in that two week period and then not contributing is higher in Shadow than in Earth because Shadow just straight up has 5x the accounts than Earth does.
Wxlfiez
they/them | FRT + 3 | Wishlist
11-Headed Primal Emperor Quest
__________________________________ wolfies_shop_sig_button.png
All flight dom battle lets do it
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
honestly, i feel like the issue lies less in earth not trying - because they do! - but more in that other flights just... don't care that much about dom as a whole. which really sucks, because dom is such a great way to engage with the site and its community, and an even greater way to flush dragons out of the system.

i feel like dom just needs more incentive, better stakes, anything to revitalize the community. whether it be a dom store, additional familiars to bond with at fiona's, a small boost to brewing time, or other such rewards. as it stands, the people who care about dom will always go to either earth, light, or, occasionally, plague. there just needs to be a way to get everyone else on board with dom.
honestly, i feel like the issue lies less in earth not trying - because they do! - but more in that other flights just... don't care that much about dom as a whole. which really sucks, because dom is such a great way to engage with the site and its community, and an even greater way to flush dragons out of the system.

i feel like dom just needs more incentive, better stakes, anything to revitalize the community. whether it be a dom store, additional familiars to bond with at fiona's, a small boost to brewing time, or other such rewards. as it stands, the people who care about dom will always go to either earth, light, or, occasionally, plague. there just needs to be a way to get everyone else on board with dom.
oooo
lightf1.png

euclid
it/its
ca5598c1562f7247710d616cfd891b3c26c319f5.png

lightf2.png
[quote name="PearlConnor" date="2021-01-26 13:17:01" ] All flight dom battle lets do it [/quote] this was attempted and half the flights, if not more, sat out to profit off it and sell to the fighting flights lol
PearlConnor wrote on 2021-01-26 13:17:01:
this was attempted and half the flights, if not more, sat out to profit off it and sell to the fighting flights lol
1HDUhks.png
i look forward with love to the day i may actually get involved in dom because i don't have to work twice as hard to get only third place since my flight is so dang big. unfortunately the "CHANGE BAD" and "NOT ENOUGH CHALLENGE" crowd tends to jump these sorts of forums.

**just wanted to say if you don't think the dom system should change i think that's fine! you are totally cool i'm more so voicing my frustrations at the system :)
i look forward with love to the day i may actually get involved in dom because i don't have to work twice as hard to get only third place since my flight is so dang big. unfortunately the "CHANGE BAD" and "NOT ENOUGH CHALLENGE" crowd tends to jump these sorts of forums.

**just wanted to say if you don't think the dom system should change i think that's fine! you are totally cool i'm more so voicing my frustrations at the system :)
icon dragon | wishlist
remind me not to impulse buy
redoing everything all the time give me a minute
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23