Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How eggs are REALLY made?
1 2 3 4 5 6
@Drakessis

That is actually a good question.

Gender could possibly be dictated by not only physical attributes, but magical ones as well. Male dragons emit a certain type of energy while females emit a different one. These magical energies could act like opposite poles on a magnet. The opposite genders’ magic are attracted to each other; but, if you try to put the same type of magic together, they refuse to combine to summon/produce an egg.

It’s up to the player to choose what they wish to believe, so please don’t feel pressured to believe this theory. It’s just for fun!
@Drakessis

Gender could possibly be dictated by not only physical attributes, but magical ones as well. Male dragons emit a certain type of energy while females emit a different one. These magical energies could act like opposite poles on a magnet. The opposite genders’ magic are attracted to each other; but, if you try to put the same type of magic together, they refuse to combine to summon/produce an egg.

It’s up to the player to choose what they wish to believe, so please don’t feel pressured to believe this theory. It’s just for fun!
5255079-8Mmx39RQgBpdGm07.jpg
@emajbi

Just wanted to say that I like your theory a lot, too
@emajbi

Just wanted to say that I like your theory a lot, too
5255079-8Mmx39RQgBpdGm07.jpg
[quote name="JoweeTheRaposa" date="2020-05-18 17:29:07"] That is actually a good question. Gender could possibly be dictated by not only physical attributes, but magical ones as well. Male dragons emit a certain type of energy while females emit a different one. These magical energies could act like opposite poles on a magnet. The opposite genders’ magic are attracted to each other; but, if you try to put the same type of magic together, they refuse to combine to summon/produce an egg. It’s up to the player to choose what they wish to believe, so please don’t feel pressured to believe this theory. It’s just for fun! [/quote] Hm, maybe... I still don't really stick by it. Magic being gendered makes no sense to me, cause it's a very metaphysical thing. Also, this explanation makes me think... does a binary trans dragon get their magic swapped? Would theoretical HRT modify it, would there be a separate magical component, is there just nothing to be done about it, or does it change on its own? If it changes on its own, what happens with nonbinary dragons? Do they get to choose? Are there intersex dragons with magic that doesn't fall across a clean binary, making it harder to reproduce? Are some dragons just magically infertile? Could a dragon somehow change their magic in an isolated way that would allow for same-sex reproduction? Are secondary sex characteristics on dragons a result of magic, rather than genes? Is all magic "gendered," but we just can't tell because things like rocks don't reproduce? Do beastclans magically reproduce, or did the deities do this? If we're considering Bogsneak eggs canon, are they the future of a sort of asexual reproduction? Are these sort of magic rules only present in deity-created species? ...ok, apologies for going off a little there, I feel like it does kind of explain why it's hard for me to get on board though jfjvjml. tendency to overthink, or maybe just a tendency to be a contrarian over unimportant things
JoweeTheRaposa wrote on 2020-05-18 17:29:07:

Hm, maybe... I still don't really stick by it. Magic being gendered makes no sense to me, cause it's a very metaphysical thing.

Also, this explanation makes me think... does a binary trans dragon get their magic swapped? Would theoretical HRT modify it, would there be a separate magical component, is there just nothing to be done about it, or does it change on its own? If it changes on its own, what happens with nonbinary dragons? Do they get to choose? Are there intersex dragons with magic that doesn't fall across a clean binary, making it harder to reproduce? Are some dragons just magically infertile? Could a dragon somehow change their magic in an isolated way that would allow for same-sex reproduction? Are secondary sex characteristics on dragons a result of magic, rather than genes? Is all magic "gendered," but we just can't tell because things like rocks don't reproduce? Do beastclans magically reproduce, or did the deities do this? If we're considering Bogsneak eggs canon, are they the future of a sort of asexual reproduction? Are these sort of magic rules only present in deity-created species?

...ok, apologies for going off a little there, I feel like it does kind of explain why it's hard for me to get on board though jfjvjml. tendency to overthink, or maybe just a tendency to be a contrarian over unimportant things
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
x78oEKd.png f9a32de21f619685c021adafe3a356066a54ad09.png
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
[quote name="Drakessis" date="2020-05-18 17:56:06" ] Hm, maybe... I still don't really stick by it. Magic being gendered makes no sense to me, cause it's a very metaphysical thing. [/quote] Ok but what if physical sex is determined by magic rather than the other way around? Crocodiles don't have genetic sex, they're determined by the temperature the eggs are incubated at. What if dragon eggs hatch male or female depending on the polarity of the magic they're predominantly infused with?
Drakessis wrote on 2020-05-18 17:56:06:
Hm, maybe... I still don't really stick by it. Magic being gendered makes no sense to me, cause it's a very metaphysical thing.
Ok but what if physical sex is determined by magic rather than the other way around?
Crocodiles don't have genetic sex, they're determined by the temperature the eggs are incubated at. What if dragon eggs hatch male or female depending on the polarity of the magic they're predominantly infused with?
J38Qco1.pngP6JoUOV.png9qpbqeR.png
[quote name="Paladingineer" date="2020-05-18 18:08:29" ] [quote name="Drakessis" date="2020-05-18 17:56:06" ] Hm, maybe... I still don't really stick by it. Magic being gendered makes no sense to me, cause it's a very metaphysical thing. [/quote] Ok but what if physical sex is determined by magic rather than the other way around? Crocodiles don't have genetic sex, they're determined by the temperature the eggs are incubated at. What if dragon eggs hatch male or female depending on the polarity of the magic they're predominantly infused with? [/quote] It's still gendered though...? If eggs are still being made through magic then it doesn't really matter what the origin of it is, personally I think it still doesn't make sense for magic. If we're saying that magic is a very physical thing in this universe, and is more of a law of existence than magic typically is... It does make sense from a mechanics standpoint, but not from a logical standpoint, if that makes sense? [s]also, this justification increases my questions about the logistics of magical HRT tenfold[/s]
Paladingineer wrote on 2020-05-18 18:08:29:
Drakessis wrote on 2020-05-18 17:56:06:
Ok but what if physical sex is determined by magic rather than the other way around?
Crocodiles don't have genetic sex, they're determined by the temperature the eggs are incubated at. What if dragon eggs hatch male or female depending on the polarity of the magic they're predominantly infused with?
It's still gendered though...?
If eggs are still being made through magic then it doesn't really matter what the origin of it is, personally I think it still doesn't make sense for magic. If we're saying that magic is a very physical thing in this universe, and is more of a law of existence than magic typically is... It does make sense from a mechanics standpoint, but not from a logical standpoint, if that makes sense?

also, this justification increases my questions about the logistics of magical HRT tenfold
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
[quote name="@Drakessis" date="2020-05-18 18:21:37" ] If we're saying that magic is a very physical thing in this universe, and is more of a law of existence than magic typically is... [/quote] I mean, it [i]is[/i], though. Like, canonically, Sornieth's magic is a fundamental force of nature that behaves in specific ways and has specific effects. The element of the magic already determines their eye color, so it's not like there's no precedent for pre-hatching exposure to magic having physical effects on the dragon's development.
@Drakessis wrote on 2020-05-18 18:21:37:
If we're saying that magic is a very physical thing in this universe, and is more of a law of existence than magic typically is...
I mean, it is, though. Like, canonically, Sornieth's magic is a fundamental force of nature that behaves in specific ways and has specific effects.
The element of the magic already determines their eye color, so it's not like there's no precedent for pre-hatching exposure to magic having physical effects on the dragon's development.
[quote name="Paladingineer" date="2020-05-18 18:27:17" ] [quote name="Drakessis" date="2020-05-18 18:21:37" ] If we're saying that magic is a very physical thing in this universe, and is more of a law of existence than magic typically is... [/quote] I mean, it [i]is[/i], though. Like, canonically, Sornieth's magic is a fundamental force of nature that behaves in specific ways and has specific effects. The element of the magic already determines their eye color, so it's not like there's no precedent for pre-hatching exposure to magic having physical effects on the dragon's development. [/quote] I don't mean to say you're wrong (it's headcanons, so, no one's wrong), but like... I straight up personally don't like the explanation that magic follows a gender binary. It could make sense and be justified mechanically, but I don't think it makes sense from the "existing as a mechanic in the first place" perspective.
Paladingineer wrote on 2020-05-18 18:27:17:
Drakessis wrote on 2020-05-18 18:21:37:
If we're saying that magic is a very physical thing in this universe, and is more of a law of existence than magic typically is...
I mean, it is, though. Like, canonically, Sornieth's magic is a fundamental force of nature that behaves in specific ways and has specific effects.
The element of the magic already determines their eye color, so it's not like there's no precedent for pre-hatching exposure to magic having physical effects on the dragon's development.
I don't mean to say you're wrong (it's headcanons, so, no one's wrong), but like... I straight up personally don't like the explanation that magic follows a gender binary. It could make sense and be justified mechanically, but I don't think it makes sense from the "existing as a mechanic in the first place" perspective.
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
[quote name="Drakessis" date="2020-05-18 18:31:12" ] I straight up personally don't like the explanation that magic follows a gender binary. It could make sense and be justified mechanically, but I don't think it makes sense from the "existing as a mechanic in the first place" perspective. [/quote] Who says it has to be binary? If there's positive and negative polarity, theoretically there could be neutral as well. Like protons, electrons, and neutrons.
Drakessis wrote on 2020-05-18 18:31:12:
I straight up personally don't like the explanation that magic follows a gender binary. It could make sense and be justified mechanically, but I don't think it makes sense from the "existing as a mechanic in the first place" perspective.
Who says it has to be binary? If there's positive and negative polarity, theoretically there could be neutral as well. Like protons, electrons, and neutrons.
The idea of gendered magic really puts me off in the cis context, though i do like Paladingineer's take on it.

Personally, i see it like this: If two dragons want a child, they would visit the nearest local deity, plead their case, and theoretically, go back to their clans/lairs with 1-5 eggs. I see magic being a very personal thing, tailored to the very dragon it reacts to. Two dragons entire beings, their magic, is poured into an empty egg. Should the deity regard them fondly, the deity could bless the filled eggs, giveng them a chance to present with eyes of primal, multi-gaze, facet, and the various others.
The idea of gendered magic really puts me off in the cis context, though i do like Paladingineer's take on it.

Personally, i see it like this: If two dragons want a child, they would visit the nearest local deity, plead their case, and theoretically, go back to their clans/lairs with 1-5 eggs. I see magic being a very personal thing, tailored to the very dragon it reacts to. Two dragons entire beings, their magic, is poured into an empty egg. Should the deity regard them fondly, the deity could bless the filled eggs, giveng them a chance to present with eyes of primal, multi-gaze, facet, and the various others.
246.png IT/XE/HE - 20
WISH LIST
ART SHOP

"Somewhere deep inside me fester memories and dreams.."
[quote name="Paladingineer" date="2020-05-18 18:35:28" ] [quote name="Drakessis" date="2020-05-18 18:31:12" ] I straight up personally don't like the explanation that magic follows a gender binary. It could make sense and be justified mechanically, but I don't think it makes sense from the "existing as a mechanic in the first place" perspective. [/quote] Who says it has to be binary? If there's positive and negative polarity, theoretically there could be neutral as well. Like protons, electrons, and neutrons. [/quote] But then there's either a dragon who can breed with any other dragon (which, since we're justifying game mechanics, isn't an option), or infertile dragons (which is a glitch that's happened, and some dragons are never bred). Plus, that's kind of just making it... A tri-nary? The issue I take with the system isn't that there's just two or three options, the issue I have is that there's these distinctions based on gender in the first place. A theoretical "fix" would be "no one has a gender at all, but do have different reproductive capabilities," but that's not really something we're dealing with when most people and the site itself make distinctions between male and female dragons. (I actually think this sort of logic could be interesting to explore in a different setting where it could, maybe, more widely be explored in the "culture"/norms of the world? Which is definitely possible to do in FR lore, but, as a means of justifying a site mechanic entirely divorced from someone's personal-lore-Sornieth, doesn't really feel "right" as an explanation to me.) Again, not trying to prove you "wrong" or something, because there's nothing objectively flawed with it, just explaining why I can't get behind it.
Paladingineer wrote on 2020-05-18 18:35:28:
Drakessis wrote on 2020-05-18 18:31:12:
I straight up personally don't like the explanation that magic follows a gender binary. It could make sense and be justified mechanically, but I don't think it makes sense from the "existing as a mechanic in the first place" perspective.
Who says it has to be binary? If there's positive and negative polarity, theoretically there could be neutral as well. Like protons, electrons, and neutrons.
But then there's either a dragon who can breed with any other dragon (which, since we're justifying game mechanics, isn't an option), or infertile dragons (which is a glitch that's happened, and some dragons are never bred). Plus, that's kind of just making it... A tri-nary? The issue I take with the system isn't that there's just two or three options, the issue I have is that there's these distinctions based on gender in the first place. A theoretical "fix" would be "no one has a gender at all, but do have different reproductive capabilities," but that's not really something we're dealing with when most people and the site itself make distinctions between male and female dragons.
(I actually think this sort of logic could be interesting to explore in a different setting where it could, maybe, more widely be explored in the "culture"/norms of the world? Which is definitely possible to do in FR lore, but, as a means of justifying a site mechanic entirely divorced from someone's personal-lore-Sornieth, doesn't really feel "right" as an explanation to me.)

Again, not trying to prove you "wrong" or something, because there's nothing objectively flawed with it, just explaining why I can't get behind it.
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!