Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lorenieth, A Lore Discussion Hub!
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 46 47
Considering the idea that gene scrolls may be a physical item/incantation in FR lore, I think that genes(mostly applied, though I could see an argument for naturally obtained ones) could definitely have some bearing on personality! Here's a few headcanons of mine: [list][*]Metallic/Alloy could reflect a dragon's value of strength, or perhaps vanity/pride(see also: Iri/Shim); they're most commonly applied by members of Earth or Lightning, as well as mostly land-dwelling breeds such as Ridgebacks and Snappers. [*]Savannah/Safari are either natural or painted/conjured markings, not unlike warriors' paint; they're most commonly applied by members of Plague, Nature, or Shadow, especially those who value secrecy or being more in touch with the environment around them. [*]Giraffe/Hex - This pair could honestly go two ways - they could either be natural markings similar to cracked skin found mostly in drier, flatter areas such as certain regions of Earth or Ice, or act as a more 'modern' design adopted by fashion-seeking dragons of any flight. [*]Iridescent/Shimmer are usually applied by wealthier dragons of Light or Ice(maybe Water as well?), who usually are prideful of both themselves and their element and wish to represent it the best they can.[/list] edit: fixed some formatting & grammar errors.
Considering the idea that gene scrolls may be a physical item/incantation in FR lore, I think that genes(mostly applied, though I could see an argument for naturally obtained ones) could definitely have some bearing on personality! Here's a few headcanons of mine:
  • Metallic/Alloy could reflect a dragon's value of strength, or perhaps vanity/pride(see also: Iri/Shim); they're most commonly applied by members of Earth or Lightning, as well as mostly land-dwelling breeds such as Ridgebacks and Snappers.
  • Savannah/Safari are either natural or painted/conjured markings, not unlike warriors' paint; they're most commonly applied by members of Plague, Nature, or Shadow, especially those who value secrecy or being more in touch with the environment around them.
  • Giraffe/Hex - This pair could honestly go two ways - they could either be natural markings similar to cracked skin found mostly in drier, flatter areas such as certain regions of Earth or Ice, or act as a more 'modern' design adopted by fashion-seeking dragons of any flight.
  • Iridescent/Shimmer are usually applied by wealthier dragons of Light or Ice(maybe Water as well?), who usually are prideful of both themselves and their element and wish to represent it the best they can.

edit: fixed some formatting & grammar errors.
CwvG2K8.gifu1yQTa6.gifF3LFtO5.gif6v7Mvy4.gif
I think if a dragon was born with the gene, then probably not. If it has been applied however, then I suppose it does say something about their personality.
(a bit like hair colour maybe - if you dye your hair you probably have a reason for it, even if it is usually that you feel it looks better or want to try something new, simple as that)

That is definitely how I write lore about breed changes - they are magical scrolls that exist - but I realize I do not write it that way with gene scrolls... markings on gen ones usually "appear" when they've earned it in some way or because it came from something they did... like Staub who is a guard for the archives, and his speckled hide represents the dust, while the red runes are some prophecies that manifested on him.

So in short, I think genes don't really influence personality, but they might show what a dragon has been through - kinda the other way round.

(boy i hope this makes sense it is far too early in the morning)
I think if a dragon was born with the gene, then probably not. If it has been applied however, then I suppose it does say something about their personality.
(a bit like hair colour maybe - if you dye your hair you probably have a reason for it, even if it is usually that you feel it looks better or want to try something new, simple as that)

That is definitely how I write lore about breed changes - they are magical scrolls that exist - but I realize I do not write it that way with gene scrolls... markings on gen ones usually "appear" when they've earned it in some way or because it came from something they did... like Staub who is a guard for the archives, and his speckled hide represents the dust, while the red runes are some prophecies that manifested on him.

So in short, I think genes don't really influence personality, but they might show what a dragon has been through - kinda the other way round.

(boy i hope this makes sense it is far too early in the morning)
1lu6sg3.gif
the seas are lovely, dark and deep...
but we have promises to keep, and miles to go before we sleep

velsim #52577, the not-quite-drowned. - wishlist | sales | accents
[quote name="Dreamnorn" date="2018-04-18 20:14:00" ] [s]Please forgive me if anything sounds strange; work has been wild and I'm quite tired.[/s][/quote] Same here. I figured I'd put this out before I forget, but I'm already more than a hour late for bed, so this will be rush and poorly formulated. I think if breed change scrolls affect a dragon's personality - canon certainly makes a strong link between the two - then gene scrolls may not be so different. I favour a loose interpretation because of my personal beliefs: I'm a strong believer of art imitates life; life, art. Given what we humans have done in the name of "what you are on the outside is also what you are on the inside"...unfortunately, even a pale imitation of that on a dragon pixel site leaves a bad taste in my mouth. [b]Disclaimer[/b]: that is not what's happening here. I'm just explaining my own personal headcanons and beliefs. You do you! [columns=2] [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/Ambox_humor.svg/46px-Ambox_humor.svg.png[/img] [nextcol] The following is considered humorous. Please do not take it too seriously. [/columns] That said, I do think broad trends exist. For example, the oft-neglected Basic dragons. Notice that they tend to become the progenitors of clans. Their first hatchlings, which also tend to be Basic dragons, tend to end up serving their deities not long after reaching adulthood. The pattern holds no matter what generation the dragon claims to be. In valour, Basic dragons are followed by...hm, I'd say (in no particular order) Hypnotic, Crackle, Poison, Toxin, Gembond, Freckle, Speckle, Smoke. So I'd say dragons with the above genes tend to be the bravest, smartest, skillfullest dragons - and thus end up joining the ranks of the exalted so soon after adulthood. Or perhaps they possess some other mysterious quality that make them so sought after by their deities.
Dreamnorn wrote on 2018-04-18 20:14:00:
Please forgive me if anything sounds strange; work has been wild and I'm quite tired.

Same here. I figured I'd put this out before I forget, but I'm already more than a hour late for bed, so this will be rush and poorly formulated.

I think if breed change scrolls affect a dragon's personality - canon certainly makes a strong link between the two - then gene scrolls may not be so different. I favour a loose interpretation because of my personal beliefs: I'm a strong believer of art imitates life; life, art. Given what we humans have done in the name of "what you are on the outside is also what you are on the inside"...unfortunately, even a pale imitation of that on a dragon pixel site leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Disclaimer: that is not what's happening here. I'm just explaining my own personal headcanons and beliefs. You do you!
46px-Ambox_humor.svg.png The following is considered humorous. Please do not take it too seriously.

That said, I do think broad trends exist. For example, the oft-neglected Basic dragons. Notice that they tend to become the progenitors of clans. Their first hatchlings, which also tend to be Basic dragons, tend to end up serving their deities not long after reaching adulthood. The pattern holds no matter what generation the dragon claims to be. In valour, Basic dragons are followed by...hm, I'd say (in no particular order) Hypnotic, Crackle, Poison, Toxin, Gembond, Freckle, Speckle, Smoke.

So I'd say dragons with the above genes tend to be the bravest, smartest, skillfullest dragons - and thus end up joining the ranks of the exalted so soon after adulthood. Or perhaps they possess some other mysterious quality that make them so sought after by their deities.
90px-Applications-office.svg.png When people draw up a warm bath and put in flower petals,
Writing Prompts
are they bathing in flower tea?
Runes is probably the only gene I would think such with given it's design. I imagine it signifies curiosity or magical strength alongside fascination with the arcane to reach for new knowledge. It would align with learned minds and almost intuitive grasp of magic.
Runes is probably the only gene I would think such with given it's design. I imagine it signifies curiosity or magical strength alongside fascination with the arcane to reach for new knowledge. It would align with learned minds and almost intuitive grasp of magic.
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
I don't really think a dragon's personality is shaped by the genes they possess.However, if they are treated differently by other dragons FOR their genes I do believe there could be some shaping of the personality to make them more defensive about their looks, heir attempts in covering themselves up or maybe just how they gloat and brag about their genes, pushing other dragons down to push themselves up.Though I believe their parents and the lair they live in plays a role in their behavior and personality as well.
I don't really think a dragon's personality is shaped by the genes they possess.However, if they are treated differently by other dragons FOR their genes I do believe there could be some shaping of the personality to make them more defensive about their looks, heir attempts in covering themselves up or maybe just how they gloat and brag about their genes, pushing other dragons down to push themselves up.Though I believe their parents and the lair they live in plays a role in their behavior and personality as well.
UZVTEBc.png
@Kessaria
You just had to make it even more sad! But I like that idea, it's sad and plausible and it makes for interesting lore prompts.

Now for todays lore prompt:
I like to handle genes and colours like I would handle hair and skin colour. They themselves don't influence the character or at least not much. BUT the environment, the culture and people and their expectations influence the character. Like if people think of the dragon as a wild character, because of his tiger primary, then they may start to think themselves to be wild or they may be completely disapproving of that and try their best to be calm and logical (aka opposite of being wild). It may not affect them at all.

Also there is the problem that some genes invoke quite different feelings. Like for example crystal: Dragons with it can be seen as vain and egotistical or as mysterious and passive or as cold and hardy or proud and strong. It depends on the culture one has grown up in and the environment in general.

There is also the question of colour. Let's stay with the crystal gene, would a gold crystal invoke the same expectations as a magenta or a sky one? Most likely not, gold is the colour of something valuable in the western culture and thus a dragon with gold crystal would most likely seen as proud. A sky one would more likely seen as openminded with a strong wish for freedom, maybe as an avid flyer, while the magenta one would be more welcoming and warm.

But all in all, I don't let genes or colours determine the character much, just the overall feeling I have when I look at the dragon and sometimes it takes a skin/accent and some apparel for me to find a character type for the dragon
@Kessaria
You just had to make it even more sad! But I like that idea, it's sad and plausible and it makes for interesting lore prompts.

Now for todays lore prompt:
I like to handle genes and colours like I would handle hair and skin colour. They themselves don't influence the character or at least not much. BUT the environment, the culture and people and their expectations influence the character. Like if people think of the dragon as a wild character, because of his tiger primary, then they may start to think themselves to be wild or they may be completely disapproving of that and try their best to be calm and logical (aka opposite of being wild). It may not affect them at all.

Also there is the problem that some genes invoke quite different feelings. Like for example crystal: Dragons with it can be seen as vain and egotistical or as mysterious and passive or as cold and hardy or proud and strong. It depends on the culture one has grown up in and the environment in general.

There is also the question of colour. Let's stay with the crystal gene, would a gold crystal invoke the same expectations as a magenta or a sky one? Most likely not, gold is the colour of something valuable in the western culture and thus a dragon with gold crystal would most likely seen as proud. A sky one would more likely seen as openminded with a strong wish for freedom, maybe as an avid flyer, while the magenta one would be more welcoming and warm.

But all in all, I don't let genes or colours determine the character much, just the overall feeling I have when I look at the dragon and sometimes it takes a skin/accent and some apparel for me to find a character type for the dragon
ukDKhF5.png
I generally don't agree - genes are inheritable, and so are colors, so an identical breeding pair (color and gene-wise) would have to produce very similar dragons as far as character goes, and we all know that identical twins sometimes don't even have a thing in common :)
I do, HOWEVER, draw the inspiration for the dragon from their genes and colors.

(I also match up my dragons when I can so I'm bothered greatly when eyes are mismatching or such. Just my perfectionist side of personality, not really relevant for the topic, though xD But that's why my ice-colored dragons are usually of ice element and it has something to do with their personality too, and so on.)
I generally don't agree - genes are inheritable, and so are colors, so an identical breeding pair (color and gene-wise) would have to produce very similar dragons as far as character goes, and we all know that identical twins sometimes don't even have a thing in common :)
I do, HOWEVER, draw the inspiration for the dragon from their genes and colors.

(I also match up my dragons when I can so I'm bothered greatly when eyes are mismatching or such. Just my perfectionist side of personality, not really relevant for the topic, though xD But that's why my ice-colored dragons are usually of ice element and it has something to do with their personality too, and so on.)
fr__wind_mini_by_baelfin_daqlk8q_by_starlilly08-db1i4z4.png Welcome to Clan Wind Chime! fr__wind_mini_by_baelfin_daqlk8q_by_starlilly08-db1i4z4.png
Feel the freedom...
MEGA Wishlist!
No-exalt clan with lots of lore!
crystalpegasus88_by_fenhyste_d9vigsn_by_starlilly08-db1hdwf.png
What @buffalopigpie and @lunakitty said. Though I’d like to add that, if a dragon decides to change their genes later on, they may gravitate towards certain genes based on how they’re viewed by other dragons. So a vain or arrogant dragon may gravitate towards gem genes, because they want to be envied by other dragons. Rich dragons may also gravitate towards them to avoid rejection by their peers. A more practical or working-class dragon may prefer treasure genes, because then they can avoid being judged as frivolous by their peers. So it’s not really the genes themselves that are influencing the dragon’s personality, it’s the dragon’s personality and social status that are influencing what genes they choose to have.
What @buffalopigpie and @lunakitty said. Though I’d like to add that, if a dragon decides to change their genes later on, they may gravitate towards certain genes based on how they’re viewed by other dragons. So a vain or arrogant dragon may gravitate towards gem genes, because they want to be envied by other dragons. Rich dragons may also gravitate towards them to avoid rejection by their peers. A more practical or working-class dragon may prefer treasure genes, because then they can avoid being judged as frivolous by their peers. So it’s not really the genes themselves that are influencing the dragon’s personality, it’s the dragon’s personality and social status that are influencing what genes they choose to have.
WRcl6DV.png dragon.png mlHpBMC.png

This is fun! Considering the fact that my entire clan is Pear/ X /Tangerine, (except a fern father, Pistachio son, and a Peridot ambassador), and all most all of them have skink / x / underbelly! Lets count because I'm curious now...

Skink - 11

Facet, Alloy, Iridescent, Shimmer, Spines - 1
Runes - 2
Poison, Stripes - 3
Toxin - 4
Butterfly - 5
Glimmer, Underbelly - 6

I love the look of Pear Skink with Tangerine Underbelly. Honestly, the colors are good camoflague for the clan in the open flower feild, and they could be a bit biased by all being the same color. I never really had much lore about it until now... I'll have to figure out if maybe eatting the flowers changes their colors or genes to help them stay hidden!

This is fun! Considering the fact that my entire clan is Pear/ X /Tangerine, (except a fern father, Pistachio son, and a Peridot ambassador), and all most all of them have skink / x / underbelly! Lets count because I'm curious now...

Skink - 11

Facet, Alloy, Iridescent, Shimmer, Spines - 1
Runes - 2
Poison, Stripes - 3
Toxin - 4
Butterfly - 5
Glimmer, Underbelly - 6

I love the look of Pear Skink with Tangerine Underbelly. Honestly, the colors are good camoflague for the clan in the open flower feild, and they could be a bit biased by all being the same color. I never really had much lore about it until now... I'll have to figure out if maybe eatting the flowers changes their colors or genes to help them stay hidden!
[center][size=6]{Breed Lore} Guardians are said to seek a worthy charge. What might and might not qualify?[/size] Buffer Prompt[/center] [b]Note:[/b] While writing this prompt, I've had a persistent migraine. I looked over it a few times and I hope that's enough, but if you see anything off, this would be why. ^^ Please let me know if anything in this post is unclear, and thank you very much for understanding! Happy Wavecrest Saturnalia, everyone! :D This prompt may have been randomized like most of the others before it, but it looks like we're in luck -- we'll be starting our celebration of the Water Flight by discussing one of the most prominent features of the Water breed! As with the last breed lore prompt, let's kick this one off with the quote that inspired it! [quote="The Encyclopedia Page on Guardian Dragons"] When a Guardian dragon comes of age, it instinctively seeks out a charge to protect for the rest of its considerable life. Most Guardians do not know what its charge will be until they encounter it, and so it begins a journey. During this time it will wander tirelessly, seeking a worthy individual, object, or place to stand watch over. Once a Guardian discovers its charge, it begins its new life. It is then considered a true dragon by the rest of their species. [/quote] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=2](Click here to read more!)[/url] It's time to speculate what kinds of individuals, objects, or places Guardians deem "worthy" as a charge. Though there is certainly some variance between individuals, do you think there may be general trends in the sorts of things Guardians collectively choose? Alternatively, what kinds of charges may Guardians generally see as unworthy, even if an individual Guardian's search selects it as their charge? May Guardians who take such charges still be considered "true dragons" by their peers? Are they not? Feel free to pull in primary sources, bounce ideas off one another, and go totally wild with brainstorming! And -- of course -- if you have any Guardians with lore that's relevant to the question of the worthiness of one's charge, feel free to share them! I'm so excited to see the awesome concepts and lore! :D [center][item="Intact Stone Relief"][item="Intact Clay Relief"] {*}[/center] [size=4][u][b]Some Thoughts:[/b][/u][/size] I think it's safe enough to believe that there are plenty of Guardians whose search yields them charges with religious, political, and/or historical importance: monarchs, priests, castles, shrines, ancient relics, etc. Personally, I would imagine charges like these to be on the more common side, and would generally be considered worthy by others of their species. I can also see mates being relatively common charges, but would Guardians generally consider mates worthy? I personally like to think so! :D Granted, my opinion may be tinted by my love for romance stories (and I have a [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30575386]Guardian[/url] whose [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30241000]mate[/url] is her charge, *cough*); but, putting that aside, I can see Guardians having romanticized the concept of a charge. Since they go on a search that can last for quite some time, and it only ends when they find "the one," it may make sense that having one's charge [i]also[/i] be one's (soul)mate could be seen as a different -- but equally valid -- kind of honor. Admittedly, I've been having trouble brainstorming for this prompt due to my migraine, so I don't have as many coherent thoughts on the latter half of this Some Thoughts section as I would like. :c But after doing my best to push through it, I thankfully still have some ideas to share! I think it would be interesting if unwilling charges could be seen as unworthy! I feel like Guardians would not look fondly on a peer whose charge is vocally and/or visibly upset about being guarded. Personally, I headcanon that Guardians with individuals as charges are responsible not just for their safety, but for keeping their spirits up as best they can; as such, an unwilling charge may be considered a sign that the Guardian is doing a poor job by other members of their breed, even if that's not necessarily the case. My last thought was less about something that I feel could be clearly described as worthy or not, but more about something potentially ambiguous on that matter. What if a Guardian's charge is of religious, political, and/or historical importance... to the [i]Beastclans?[/i] I really wish I had a clear enough head to dive into analyzing and/or speculating about this as thoroughly as I'd like, but I want to pose the question anyway in case anyone would like to take that idea and run with it. :D Either way, as always, I can't wait to see what cool ideas, analysis, and/or lore you guys may share! ^^ [center][size=2]Pinglist was here.[/size][/center]
{Breed Lore} Guardians are said to seek a worthy charge. What might and might not qualify?
Buffer Prompt

Note: While writing this prompt, I've had a persistent migraine. I looked over it a few times and I hope that's enough, but if you see anything off, this would be why. ^^ Please let me know if anything in this post is unclear, and thank you very much for understanding!

Happy Wavecrest Saturnalia, everyone! :D This prompt may have been randomized like most of the others before it, but it looks like we're in luck -- we'll be starting our celebration of the Water Flight by discussing one of the most prominent features of the Water breed!

As with the last breed lore prompt, let's kick this one off with the quote that inspired it!

The Encyclopedia Page on Guardian Dragons wrote:
When a Guardian dragon comes of age, it instinctively seeks out a charge to protect for the rest of its considerable life. Most Guardians do not know what its charge will be until they encounter it, and so it begins a journey. During this time it will wander tirelessly, seeking a worthy individual, object, or place to stand watch over. Once a Guardian discovers its charge, it begins its new life. It is then considered a true dragon by the rest of their species.

(Click here to read more!)

It's time to speculate what kinds of individuals, objects, or places Guardians deem "worthy" as a charge. Though there is certainly some variance between individuals, do you think there may be general trends in the sorts of things Guardians collectively choose? Alternatively, what kinds of charges may Guardians generally see as unworthy, even if an individual Guardian's search selects it as their charge? May Guardians who take such charges still be considered "true dragons" by their peers? Are they not?

Feel free to pull in primary sources, bounce ideas off one another, and go totally wild with brainstorming! And -- of course -- if you have any Guardians with lore that's relevant to the question of the worthiness of one's charge, feel free to share them! I'm so excited to see the awesome concepts and lore! :D

Intact Stone Relief Intact Clay Relief

{*}

Some Thoughts:

I think it's safe enough to believe that there are plenty of Guardians whose search yields them charges with religious, political, and/or historical importance: monarchs, priests, castles, shrines, ancient relics, etc. Personally, I would imagine charges like these to be on the more common side, and would generally be considered worthy by others of their species.

I can also see mates being relatively common charges, but would Guardians generally consider mates worthy? I personally like to think so! :D Granted, my opinion may be tinted by my love for romance stories (and I have a Guardian whose mate is her charge, *cough*); but, putting that aside, I can see Guardians having romanticized the concept of a charge. Since they go on a search that can last for quite some time, and it only ends when they find "the one," it may make sense that having one's charge also be one's (soul)mate could be seen as a different -- but equally valid -- kind of honor.

Admittedly, I've been having trouble brainstorming for this prompt due to my migraine, so I don't have as many coherent thoughts on the latter half of this Some Thoughts section as I would like. :c But after doing my best to push through it, I thankfully still have some ideas to share!

I think it would be interesting if unwilling charges could be seen as unworthy! I feel like Guardians would not look fondly on a peer whose charge is vocally and/or visibly upset about being guarded. Personally, I headcanon that Guardians with individuals as charges are responsible not just for their safety, but for keeping their spirits up as best they can; as such, an unwilling charge may be considered a sign that the Guardian is doing a poor job by other members of their breed, even if that's not necessarily the case.

My last thought was less about something that I feel could be clearly described as worthy or not, but more about something potentially ambiguous on that matter. What if a Guardian's charge is of religious, political, and/or historical importance... to the Beastclans? I really wish I had a clear enough head to dive into analyzing and/or speculating about this as thoroughly as I'd like, but I want to pose the question anyway in case anyone would like to take that idea and run with it. :D

Either way, as always, I can't wait to see what cool ideas, analysis, and/or lore you guys may share! ^^

Pinglist was here.
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 46 47