Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The 411 on all the naming drama
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Fortunately Undel has confirmed that there is a warning and strike system in place so you don't need to worry about losing your account for an innocent mistake. Those who started the Mulch fiasco are still on the site and doing rather fine, so even if you do accidentally upset someone, you will probably be okay. Especially since it sounds like they are looking into it now and apologized tor their strictness. I am guessing they will be even more lenient in thr future than ever before and examine things on a case-by-case basis.

EDIT: basically you will be okay as long as you arent knowingly harassing someone and attempting to hurt feelings
Fortunately Undel has confirmed that there is a warning and strike system in place so you don't need to worry about losing your account for an innocent mistake. Those who started the Mulch fiasco are still on the site and doing rather fine, so even if you do accidentally upset someone, you will probably be okay. Especially since it sounds like they are looking into it now and apologized tor their strictness. I am guessing they will be even more lenient in thr future than ever before and examine things on a case-by-case basis.

EDIT: basically you will be okay as long as you arent knowingly harassing someone and attempting to hurt feelings
WpjbI2U.gif
squid/winter | FR+3 | they/them | spelled squidra-gon (like octagon)
@Jad @squidragon Thanks, this is exactly what I was about to say!

On top of that, that was a high-profile user, and they were reported for naming their dragons Sacrifice (AFAIK) not just warned by admins trawling some name database. So a high-profile user exalting many dragons with a death-related name which was reported who then circumvented a warning. That's like 5 conditions the average FR user potentially worried about their account probably doesn't meet.

On top of that, that was a high-profile user, and they were reported for naming their dragons Sacrifice (AFAIK) not just warned by admins trawling some name database. So a high-profile user exalting many dragons with a death-related name which was reported who then circumvented a warning. That's like 5 conditions the average FR user potentially worried about their account probably doesn't meet.
[quote name="Eoskara" date="2014-09-29 16:52:30"]@Jad @squidragon Thanks, this is exactly what I was about to say! On top of that, that was a high-profile user, and they were reported for naming their dragons Sacrifice (AFAIK) not just warned by admins trawling some name database. So a high-profile user exalting many dragons with a death-related name which was reported who then circumvented a warning. That's like 5 conditions the average FR user potentially worried about their account probably doesn't meet.[/quote] Bluntly but crudely, why on earth did I have to find this out from another user? @Eoskara
Eoskara wrote on 2014-09-29 16:52:30:

Bluntly but crudely, why on earth did I have to find this out from another user?

@Eoskara
I'm EIGHT/8/Eight hours ahead of FR Time.
To be fair, it's not exactly a secret? It all went right here in the FR Discussion forums. I'm not quite sure admins digging up old drama and then fixing a glowing neon sign to it would have been a great approach either.
To be fair, it's not exactly a secret? It all went right here in the FR Discussion forums. I'm not quite sure admins digging up old drama and then fixing a glowing neon sign to it would have been a great approach either.
iSUiwqzX231cv.gif
[quote name="Jad" date="2014-09-29 16:45:19"]Mulch was banned because it was specifically used to circumvent a different word. By the same user who got into trouble for Snackrifice, actually. In case anyone wanted a little bit of FR history. @indigocrow[/quote] @Jad: Here's a novel idea: Why not just deal with that user?
Jad wrote on 2014-09-29 16:45:19:
Mulch was banned because it was specifically used to circumvent a different word. By the same user who got into trouble for Snackrifice, actually. In case anyone wanted a little bit of FR history.

@indigocrow

@Jad: Here's a novel idea: Why not just deal with that user?
I'm EIGHT/8/Eight hours ahead of FR Time.
You'll find that's the main standpoint of anyone who knows the whole story. Let's deal with deliberate antagonists without infringing on everyone else. It's just been lost in all the mayhem.
You'll find that's the main standpoint of anyone who knows the whole story. Let's deal with deliberate antagonists without infringing on everyone else. It's just been lost in all the mayhem.
iSUiwqzX231cv.gif
@Charaquan They at the time probably wanted to instantly end the situation (and did deal with the user as well but wanted to ensure other users didnt do the same thing) but since they have recently apologized and admitted their mistake, simply dealing with the user seems like what they plan to do in the future.
@Charaquan They at the time probably wanted to instantly end the situation (and did deal with the user as well but wanted to ensure other users didnt do the same thing) but since they have recently apologized and admitted their mistake, simply dealing with the user seems like what they plan to do in the future.
WpjbI2U.gif
squid/winter | FR+3 | they/them | spelled squidra-gon (like octagon)
@Charaquan Admin policy is to not discuss specific cases on the public boards, which is totally understandable. It just happens that the whole thing seems to have spun out of one specific case and it is probably hard to toe the line between informing users and like, pointing fingers at this one specific person. That rule has to apply to everyone, even if a large number of people seem to know of the case anyways through whatever grapevine.

Similarly, the whole process of suspension has to apply to everyone equally as well. I don't know if there's a rule in the ToS against "drumming up drama." ;P If that were the case I would worry about the admins using it vindictively, to be honest. Admins are only human, after all. I've seen that happen on sites where the whole thing ended in doxxing by the admins (I'm not joking!) That would be MUCH more worrying to me than anything the admins have done so far. That said, I imagine the next step after a suspension is a ban. And they may find a fair way to deal with situations like this in the future.
@Charaquan Admin policy is to not discuss specific cases on the public boards, which is totally understandable. It just happens that the whole thing seems to have spun out of one specific case and it is probably hard to toe the line between informing users and like, pointing fingers at this one specific person. That rule has to apply to everyone, even if a large number of people seem to know of the case anyways through whatever grapevine.

Similarly, the whole process of suspension has to apply to everyone equally as well. I don't know if there's a rule in the ToS against "drumming up drama." ;P If that were the case I would worry about the admins using it vindictively, to be honest. Admins are only human, after all. I've seen that happen on sites where the whole thing ended in doxxing by the admins (I'm not joking!) That would be MUCH more worrying to me than anything the admins have done so far. That said, I imagine the next step after a suspension is a ban. And they may find a fair way to deal with situations like this in the future.
I love how this entire thread deals with the fact that this is a symptom and not the root of the problem. For the love of Shadowbinder, someone else actually named their dragon 'R*****ed' (a slur) and it passed but they were told via Tumblr to 'send a Contact Us' by a moderator of the site- which caused a large amount of backlash by the community as they stated that 'since you've already seen it why not deal with it'. The circumvention of names has always been happening, it's not just that one user- someone on Tumblr reported they had an offspring named 'HeilHitler' and exalted when Hitler itself is a banned name.

Very interesting how myopic the thread is when you want to get dibs on drama.
I love how this entire thread deals with the fact that this is a symptom and not the root of the problem. For the love of Shadowbinder, someone else actually named their dragon 'R*****ed' (a slur) and it passed but they were told via Tumblr to 'send a Contact Us' by a moderator of the site- which caused a large amount of backlash by the community as they stated that 'since you've already seen it why not deal with it'. The circumvention of names has always been happening, it's not just that one user- someone on Tumblr reported they had an offspring named 'HeilHitler' and exalted when Hitler itself is a banned name.

Very interesting how myopic the thread is when you want to get dibs on drama.
[quote name="dracoon" date="2014-09-29 17:13:58"]I love how this entire thread deals with the fact that this is a symptom and not the root of the problem. For the love of Shadowbinder, someone actually named their dragon 'R*****ed' (a slur) and it passed but they were told via Tumblr to 'send a Contact Us' by [i]a moderator[/i] of the site- which caused a large amount of backlash by the community as they stated that 'since you've already seen it why not deal with it'. Very interesting how myopic the thread is.[/quote] ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
dracoon wrote on 2014-09-29 17:13:58:
I love how this entire thread deals with the fact that this is a symptom and not the root of the problem. For the love of Shadowbinder, someone actually named their dragon 'R*****ed' (a slur) and it passed but they were told via Tumblr to 'send a Contact Us' by a moderator of the site- which caused a large amount of backlash by the community as they stated that 'since you've already seen it why not deal with it'. Very interesting how myopic the thread is.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1 2 3 4 5 6 7