Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The 411 on all the naming drama
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@Charaquan Y'all were already nitpicking by deliberately and consistently mentioning 'a user' for like 3 pages. Also: [quote='Celwina']Honestly, I think discussion of "drama" should not be in the discussion forums. Leave the OP to explain the situation in the initial post, and don't elaborate on "FR history" when you are misinformed on the actual history itself. Clarification shouldn't be required, and it definitely shouldn't be in the public eye: if you want clarification on "FR history," or on "site drama," take it to PMs, instead of clogging the forums and spreading nonsensical rumors.[/quote]
@Charaquan Y'all were already nitpicking by deliberately and consistently mentioning 'a user' for like 3 pages. Also:
Celwina wrote:
Honestly, I think discussion of "drama" should not be in the discussion forums. Leave the OP to explain the situation in the initial post, and don't elaborate on "FR history" when you are misinformed on the actual history itself. Clarification shouldn't be required, and it definitely shouldn't be in the public eye: if you want clarification on "FR history," or on "site drama," take it to PMs, instead of clogging the forums and spreading nonsensical rumors.
When names are reported to us by players, we weigh and consider the context in which they are reported, the names themselves, and what they are being used for or describing. These are all taken on a case-by-base basis, are investigated fully, and the reported issue is considered against our Terms of Use and Rules & Guidelines. This has always been our stance, and is stated so ("Please also note that we reserve the right to evaluate each incident on a case-by-base basis.").

When it pertains directly to death/violent-related names, mass-Exalting dragons with names that are intended to imply death, dismemberment, violence, etc of the Exalted dragon will in almost all cases be considered inappropriate (due to our listing about Violence and Sexuality). This is why you are unable to name your dragons names like 'Dead', 'Murdered', 'Destroyed,' Dismembered', etc. In some cases, this doubly coincides with direct harassment to a player or group of players, and that is also included and considered in any investigation to the above.

Players who have a dragon here or there that have death-related names for roleplaying reasons and aren't directly affecting other players are going to go through the same amount of review as someone who is doing it deliberately - and this does not guarantee that any mention of such is suddenly now a violation. (It doesn't suddenly make something appropriate, either, but it is certainly not a blind punishment.) This is not a careless wrecking spree, we directly respond to reported incidents. Players who are concerned about something or would like guidance are more than welcome to hit us up via Contact Us.

Additionally, just because something is not banned in our Random Name Generator, or not blocked via our profanity filter does not make it fair game to use nor does it mean it is permitted - these unlisted words/names are subject to evaluation by our staff when they are reported to us. These systems are adaptable and expandable for a reason; they don't come stocked with every variation of every inappropriate term that exist / will exist. Clear efforts to circumvent either of these systems is 100% not okay and always has been.

Again, players are always welcome to appeal account actions by using Contact Us privately to discuss it. We are not above looking over cases again and re-evaluating if necessary.

The bolding is mine but this is a DIRECT QUOTE from Xhaztol. If I'm misinformed by going off a mod's words, I don't know what to think,
When names are reported to us by players, we weigh and consider the context in which they are reported, the names themselves, and what they are being used for or describing. These are all taken on a case-by-base basis, are investigated fully, and the reported issue is considered against our Terms of Use and Rules & Guidelines. This has always been our stance, and is stated so ("Please also note that we reserve the right to evaluate each incident on a case-by-base basis.").

When it pertains directly to death/violent-related names, mass-Exalting dragons with names that are intended to imply death, dismemberment, violence, etc of the Exalted dragon will in almost all cases be considered inappropriate (due to our listing about Violence and Sexuality). This is why you are unable to name your dragons names like 'Dead', 'Murdered', 'Destroyed,' Dismembered', etc. In some cases, this doubly coincides with direct harassment to a player or group of players, and that is also included and considered in any investigation to the above.

Players who have a dragon here or there that have death-related names for roleplaying reasons and aren't directly affecting other players are going to go through the same amount of review as someone who is doing it deliberately - and this does not guarantee that any mention of such is suddenly now a violation. (It doesn't suddenly make something appropriate, either, but it is certainly not a blind punishment.) This is not a careless wrecking spree, we directly respond to reported incidents. Players who are concerned about something or would like guidance are more than welcome to hit us up via Contact Us.

Additionally, just because something is not banned in our Random Name Generator, or not blocked via our profanity filter does not make it fair game to use nor does it mean it is permitted - these unlisted words/names are subject to evaluation by our staff when they are reported to us. These systems are adaptable and expandable for a reason; they don't come stocked with every variation of every inappropriate term that exist / will exist. Clear efforts to circumvent either of these systems is 100% not okay and always has been.

Again, players are always welcome to appeal account actions by using Contact Us privately to discuss it. We are not above looking over cases again and re-evaluating if necessary.

The bolding is mine but this is a DIRECT QUOTE from Xhaztol. If I'm misinformed by going off a mod's words, I don't know what to think,
I'm EIGHT/8/Eight hours ahead of FR Time.
[quote name="Charaquan" date="2014-09-29 15:47:56"] 1)Some users used mass exalt fodder names to harrass other users [/quote] Sorry if I'm late to the party. I'm sure this has already been discussed.. But uh. This right here? This quote. I have [i]not[/i] seen [u]any one[/u] mass name exalt fodder to harass. Mass name for Dom themed names or because they wanted to, sure. But not to harass certain users.
Charaquan wrote on 2014-09-29 15:47:56:
1)Some users used mass exalt fodder names to harrass other users

Sorry if I'm late to the party. I'm sure this has already been discussed.. But uh.
This right here? This quote. I have not seen any one mass name exalt fodder to harass. Mass name for Dom themed names or because they wanted to, sure. But not to harass certain users.
TOW2n3q.png
[quote name="Bowno" date="2014-09-29 18:21:10"][quote name="Charaquan" date="2014-09-29 15:47:56"] 1)Some users used mass exalt fodder names to harrass other users [/quote] Sorry if I'm late to the party. I'm sure this has already been discussed.. But uh. This right here? This quote. I have [i]not[/i] seen [u]any one[/u] mass name exalt fodder to harass. Mass name for Dom themed names or because they wanted to, sure. But not to harass certain users.[/quote] @Bowno: It's the words from mods and admins. Spread out all over the place, as usual. Hence the mass panic.
Bowno wrote on 2014-09-29 18:21:10:
Charaquan wrote on 2014-09-29 15:47:56:
1)Some users used mass exalt fodder names to harrass other users

Sorry if I'm late to the party. I'm sure this has already been discussed.. But uh.
This right here? This quote. I have not seen any one mass name exalt fodder to harass. Mass name for Dom themed names or because they wanted to, sure. But not to harass certain users.

@Bowno: It's the words from mods and admins. Spread out all over the place, as usual. Hence the mass panic.
Odd way for them to word it then.
TOW2n3q.png
[quote name="Bowno" date="2014-09-29 18:23:52"]Odd way for them to word it then.[/quote] Yeah, I did paraphrase it but ya know...same general gist. See X's post above for exact quoting. @Bowno
Bowno wrote on 2014-09-29 18:23:52:

Yeah, I did paraphrase it but ya know...same general gist. See X's post above for exact quoting. @Bowno
@Charaquan @Bowno

Xhaz's post is pretty clear and specific from where I stand. It says that mass-exalting of violence/death names is banned, which is why you can't use them personally. And that sometimes they were used to harass users.

If someone is panicking over using "intern" or "spark" or "flambebe" or what have you as a dom mass-exalt name, then they didn't read it closely enough.
@Charaquan @Bowno

Xhaz's post is pretty clear and specific from where I stand. It says that mass-exalting of violence/death names is banned, which is why you can't use them personally. And that sometimes they were used to harass users.

If someone is panicking over using "intern" or "spark" or "flambebe" or what have you as a dom mass-exalt name, then they didn't read it closely enough.
Lightning retiree, Dom Dormer
q2ZFmJW.pnggptJKcP.png
[quote name="mlsclassics" date="2014-09-29 19:10:48"]@Charaquan @Bowno Xhaz's post is pretty clear and specific from where I stand. It says that mass-exalting of violence/death names is banned, which is why you can't use them personally. And that sometimes they were used to harass users. If someone is panicking over using "intern" or "spark" or "flambebe" or what have you as a dom mass-exalt name, then they didn't read it closely enough.[/quote] @misclassics: First rule of communication: If 1 person doesn't understand your message, it's their problem. If 10 people don't understand your message, you have the problem. General you, rather than specific you, of course.
mlsclassics wrote on 2014-09-29 19:10:48:
@Charaquan @Bowno

@misclassics: First rule of communication: If 1 person doesn't understand your message, it's their problem. If 10 people don't understand your message, you have the problem.

General you, rather than specific you, of course.
I'm starting to think that many of the users who don't understand the naming kerfuffle do understand the gist of it, so to speak, and just want the admins to draw a hard line. Give an exact list of okay and not okay names, so they can walk right up to that line and dangle their toes off the edge.

Also, if 2000 people do understand a message but 100 don't, who's problem is that?
I'm starting to think that many of the users who don't understand the naming kerfuffle do understand the gist of it, so to speak, and just want the admins to draw a hard line. Give an exact list of okay and not okay names, so they can walk right up to that line and dangle their toes off the edge.

Also, if 2000 people do understand a message but 100 don't, who's problem is that?
I question if all of these naming threads are helping anything. I mean, it seems like most of them are just adding more confusion and anger to the topic than helping anything. I think I'm just gonna wait for the admins to say something and leave it at that. /shrug

But to me, it seems like a lot of people are causing drama and making a ruckus just for the sake of making noise. If it weren't for the drama, how many people would realistically be affected by the loss of "Mulch" as a name? The only reason 90% of the people know about it is because other people are freaking out about it. Heck, I wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for the threads.

@Pheonyx
I like your second paragraph. I mean, no matter how clear you make a message, someone will misunderstand it, OR be intentionally obtuse just to cause drama.
I question if all of these naming threads are helping anything. I mean, it seems like most of them are just adding more confusion and anger to the topic than helping anything. I think I'm just gonna wait for the admins to say something and leave it at that. /shrug

But to me, it seems like a lot of people are causing drama and making a ruckus just for the sake of making noise. If it weren't for the drama, how many people would realistically be affected by the loss of "Mulch" as a name? The only reason 90% of the people know about it is because other people are freaking out about it. Heck, I wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for the threads.

@Pheonyx
I like your second paragraph. I mean, no matter how clear you make a message, someone will misunderstand it, OR be intentionally obtuse just to cause drama.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7