Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The 411 on all the naming drama
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I saw lots of comments like Kasscada's quote so... [quote name="Kasscada" date="2014-09-29 06:05:36"]I'm sorry, but I'm really lost. I don't have tumbr, and I'm not too active in forums, so could someone please give me a quick 411 on the whole situation? Im a bit lost.[/quote] Okay,,.,it's kinda complicated but briefly: 1)Some users used mass exalt fodder names to harrass other users 2)These names were banned, even if they were harmless ones like Mulch 3)The rules were....buried in forums or on tumblr, at best 4)They're not in the rules 5)Mods/admins refuse to give clear rules on naming policy. X and U flatl out contradicted each other. 6)RNG has 'offensive' names in it. Edited to remove the note that was collateral damage from copy-pasting.
I saw lots of comments like Kasscada's quote so...
Kasscada wrote on 2014-09-29 06:05:36:
I'm sorry, but I'm really lost.

I don't have tumbr, and I'm not too active in forums, so could someone please give me a quick 411 on the whole situation? Im a bit lost.

Okay,,.,it's kinda complicated but briefly:

1)Some users used mass exalt fodder names to harrass other users

2)These names were banned, even if they were harmless ones like Mulch

3)The rules were....buried in forums or on tumblr, at best

4)They're not in the rules

5)Mods/admins refuse to give clear rules on naming policy. X and U flatl out contradicted each other.

6)RNG has 'offensive' names in it.

Edited to remove the note that was collateral damage from copy-pasting.
I'm EIGHT/8/Eight hours ahead of FR Time.
Hey, I'm sure you mean well, and know that I am not looking for an argument on any other aspect of what you have said, but that last comment seems inflammatory. Neither admin has ever said you can be banned for a single offensive name; nobody's account is at risk because of this specific thing. Something like just "confused about the rules" would be more appropriate imho.

If a person were to be worried about account safety, it would be on the subject of botting and multiaccounting. It's just unfortunate coincidence that these two problems have come up at the same time. Undel specifically says that you will not be banned for just naming a dragon something that annoys others in this post. (In case that url doesn't work, page 8 in the Apology thread.)

I am also unhappy that the admins haven't clarified completely. The lack of clarification facilitates panic. (One of my friends was nervous enough to almost quit before I explained the things she in particular was doing were not actionable.) But it doesn't help to imply that you should be scared for your account safety for naming exalt fodder things.So, that said, it's good of you to try to provide some clarification, and I'll delete this post if it happens that you change it so I can get out of your way!

Edit: Sorry, corrected a Freudian slip in the first paragraph. ;P
Hey, I'm sure you mean well, and know that I am not looking for an argument on any other aspect of what you have said, but that last comment seems inflammatory. Neither admin has ever said you can be banned for a single offensive name; nobody's account is at risk because of this specific thing. Something like just "confused about the rules" would be more appropriate imho.

If a person were to be worried about account safety, it would be on the subject of botting and multiaccounting. It's just unfortunate coincidence that these two problems have come up at the same time. Undel specifically says that you will not be banned for just naming a dragon something that annoys others in this post. (In case that url doesn't work, page 8 in the Apology thread.)

I am also unhappy that the admins haven't clarified completely. The lack of clarification facilitates panic. (One of my friends was nervous enough to almost quit before I explained the things she in particular was doing were not actionable.) But it doesn't help to imply that you should be scared for your account safety for naming exalt fodder things.So, that said, it's good of you to try to provide some clarification, and I'll delete this post if it happens that you change it so I can get out of your way!

Edit: Sorry, corrected a Freudian slip in the first paragraph. ;P
@Eoskara: @Sylvandyr One of them said that the RNG wasn't necessarily safe because it could offer banned names, One of them said it was because it wouldn't accept the name if it was unsafe. And people are panicked and scared and confused and worried over their account safety over names. I'm not getting in to whether they should be or not because that's a whole 'nother can of worms. All I'm saying is One is not alone if One is scared and confused. As for Undel's post, the end result is the same. The end result is what's gotten everyone in a frenzy, [quote name="Sylvandyr" date="2014-09-27 16:45:57"][quote name="Undel" date="2014-09-27 16:41:05"]We're reading this carefully. Thank you to everyone for contributing. A more fully formed answer and solution will be forthcoming while we think about this. [quote name="Sylvandyr" date="2014-09-27 10:52:43"]The lack of rules is terrifying. The fact that people can be banned for arbitrary rules not listed in the ToU is terrifying. The fact that people can be banned [i]for using the Random Name Generator, a function that you programmed and made possible in your game,[/i] accepting a name and not realizing that it's bad, is terrifying.[/quote] I wanted to clarify this misconception. We do not ban players for simply naming a dragon something annoying once or twice. We have a warning, strike, and suspension system for that reason. Again, there's a lot of points to address in this topic and a better way to express the rules needed. We're reading, but I wanted to hit on that one before it becomes widely assumed; thinking that you can be banned outright for just for naming a dragon something annoying [b]is[/b] pretty scary and extreme, and not something that we would want for our players at all![/quote] Thank you for the clarification. However, my concern still remains. The warning, strike, and suspension systems seem to be doled out for confusing reasons. There are some banned names that confuse me, and I could receive warnings and strikes and an ultimate ban if I continuously accidentally name things that get banned. There is a possibility that I will reach the end result on accident by collecting warnings for names or behavior that I am not aware are offensive, because it has not been documented clearly. [b]The end result is the same. The end result is what I am afraid of.[/b] It is good to know that you are reading the concerns, though. Thank you.[/quote]
@Eoskara:
@Sylvandyr

One of them said that the RNG wasn't necessarily safe because it could offer banned names,

One of them said it was because it wouldn't accept the name if it was unsafe.

And people are panicked and scared and confused and worried over their account safety over names. I'm not getting in to whether they should be or not because that's a whole 'nother can of worms. All I'm saying is One is not alone if One is scared and confused.

As for Undel's post, the end result is the same. The end result is what's gotten everyone in a frenzy,
Sylvandyr wrote on 2014-09-27 16:45:57:
Undel wrote on 2014-09-27 16:41:05:
We're reading this carefully. Thank you to everyone for contributing. A more fully formed answer and solution will be forthcoming while we think about this.
Sylvandyr wrote on 2014-09-27 10:52:43:
The lack of rules is terrifying. The fact that people can be banned for arbitrary rules not listed in the ToU is terrifying. The fact that people can be banned for using the Random Name Generator, a function that you programmed and made possible in your game, accepting a name and not realizing that it's bad, is terrifying.

I wanted to clarify this misconception. We do not ban players for simply naming a dragon something annoying once or twice. We have a warning, strike, and suspension system for that reason.

Again, there's a lot of points to address in this topic and a better way to express the rules needed. We're reading, but I wanted to hit on that one before it becomes widely assumed; thinking that you can be banned outright for just for naming a dragon something annoying is pretty scary and extreme, and not something that we would want for our players at all!

Thank you for the clarification. However, my concern still remains. The warning, strike, and suspension systems seem to be doled out for confusing reasons. There are some banned names that confuse me, and I could receive warnings and strikes and an ultimate ban if I continuously accidentally name things that get banned.

There is a possibility that I will reach the end result on accident by collecting warnings for names or behavior that I am not aware are offensive, because it has not been documented clearly. The end result is the same. The end result is what I am afraid of.

It is good to know that you are reading the concerns, though. Thank you.
I'm gonna be honest with ya. If you're worried about being banned for naming things, just name all your exalts something harmless, like Steve. Everybody loves a Steve. No way to get offended by that.

I kind of feel like I'm the only one not confused by the rules. Don't name your exalt fodder something that implies you're killing them. Don't sacrifice, Stevifice.
I'm gonna be honest with ya. If you're worried about being banned for naming things, just name all your exalts something harmless, like Steve. Everybody loves a Steve. No way to get offended by that.

I kind of feel like I'm the only one not confused by the rules. Don't name your exalt fodder something that implies you're killing them. Don't sacrifice, Stevifice.
[quote name="Pheonyx" date="2014-09-29 16:29:26"]I'm gonna be honest with ya. If you're worried about being banned for naming things, just name all your exalts something harmless, like Steve. Everybody loves a Steve. No way to get offended by that. I kind of feel like I'm the only one not confused by the rules. Don't name your exalt fodder something that implies you're killing them. Don't sacrifice, Stevifice.[/quote] @Pheonyx: You realise there were mentions of rules against mass-naming, right? And that snackrifice was seen as a way of getting around the filter? And that 'sacrifice' has other meanings besides implying death?
Pheonyx wrote on 2014-09-29 16:29:26:

@Pheonyx: You realise there were mentions of rules against mass-naming, right? And that snackrifice was seen as a way of getting around the filter? And that 'sacrifice' has other meanings besides implying death?
Also remember that you cannot get in trouble for a "banned" name because such names are blocked. An error message will come up if you try to enter it. So you don't need to worry about accidentally entering a banned name.
Also remember that you cannot get in trouble for a "banned" name because such names are blocked. An error message will come up if you try to enter it. So you don't need to worry about accidentally entering a banned name.
WpjbI2U.gif
squid/winter | FR+3 | they/them | spelled squidra-gon (like octagon)
@squidragon
But when such mundane words as 'Mulch' end up banned, it must be extraordinarily easy to give a name that someone ~will~ at some point find offensive.
@squidragon
But when such mundane words as 'Mulch' end up banned, it must be extraordinarily easy to give a name that someone ~will~ at some point find offensive.
ctFAI4k.gif
[quote name="IndigoCrow" date="2014-09-29 16:39:40"]@squidragon But when such mundane words as 'Mulch' end up banned, it must be extraordinarily easy to give a name that someone ~will~ at some point find offensive.[/quote] Yes, this. @Eoskara @Pheonyx @squidragon
IndigoCrow wrote on 2014-09-29 16:39:40:
@squidragon

Yes, this.

@Eoskara
@Pheonyx
@squidragon
The person who got suspended for Snackrifice admitted to knowing that they were circumventing a known rule. They may not have thought it would get them in trouble (and here I have a doubt) but they flat out stated this offsite. I'm like 98% sure of this.

I've got no horse in the naming race BUT if you go looking for trouble, as this particular user did, you will probably find it. I don't believe anyone else has been reprimanded for anything namewise but you can correct me if I'm wrong. But I want names and not some vague mention of 'that person possibly'.

Everything else I have no comment on because I'm not keeping up, despite the fact that it's literally everywhere by now.
The person who got suspended for Snackrifice admitted to knowing that they were circumventing a known rule. They may not have thought it would get them in trouble (and here I have a doubt) but they flat out stated this offsite. I'm like 98% sure of this.

I've got no horse in the naming race BUT if you go looking for trouble, as this particular user did, you will probably find it. I don't believe anyone else has been reprimanded for anything namewise but you can correct me if I'm wrong. But I want names and not some vague mention of 'that person possibly'.

Everything else I have no comment on because I'm not keeping up, despite the fact that it's literally everywhere by now.
iSUiwqzX231cv.gif
Mulch was banned because it was specifically used to circumvent a different word. By the same user who got into trouble for Snackrifice, actually. In case anyone wanted a little bit of FR history.

@indigocrow
Mulch was banned because it was specifically used to circumvent a different word. By the same user who got into trouble for Snackrifice, actually. In case anyone wanted a little bit of FR history.

@indigocrow
iSUiwqzX231cv.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7