Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | [Closed] Letters to Chickweed
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
@Lucks [center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/479927/47992663p.png[/img][/center] [quote]Dear Aristheus, I’ve always thought of the Starfall Isles as one of the suave, sophisticated areas of Sornieth, but it’s clear that I was mistaken. Still, I suppose that a cave and candlight serves their purposes. As for myself, I am tucked away somewhere in the Viridian Laberynth, though I’m not exactly sure where. It’s all tangle and green here, and everything looks the same. And like you, I have little access to technology. I have my notebooks, of course, and a number of ballpoint pens, but other than a sputtering gas lamp, I don’t have any more tech than you do. The dragons around here distrust it, and keep muttering things about witchcraft every time I adjust my pocket watch. I’ve heard some remarkable stories about the technology in the Tempest Spire, though. There’s a project focused on creating an automaton that can work independently of an engineer, almost like it has a mind of its own. Fascinating. Sincerely, Chickweed (CHICK. WEED.), Clan Caraway[/quote]
@Lucks
47992663p.png
Quote:
Dear Aristheus,

I’ve always thought of the Starfall Isles as one of the suave, sophisticated areas of Sornieth, but it’s clear that I was mistaken. Still, I suppose that a cave and candlight serves their purposes.

As for myself, I am tucked away somewhere in the Viridian Laberynth, though I’m not exactly sure where. It’s all tangle and green here, and everything looks the same.

And like you, I have little access to technology. I have my notebooks, of course, and a number of ballpoint pens, but other than a sputtering gas lamp, I don’t have any more tech than you do. The dragons around here distrust it, and keep muttering things about witchcraft every time I adjust my pocket watch.

I’ve heard some remarkable stories about the technology in the Tempest Spire, though. There’s a project focused on creating an automaton that can work independently of an engineer, almost like it has a mind of its own. Fascinating.

Sincerely,

Chickweed (CHICK. WEED.), Clan Caraway
7hN3sEu.png
@MalusNight [center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/479927/47992663p.png[/img][/center] [quote]Dear Mars, Unfortunately, I don’t see an easy way out of this one. It sounds like Corvo is something of a dangerous lunatic, tragic backstory aside. I agree, getting authorities involved is always a bad idea. Authorities are just that. Dragons who authorize stupid decisions in favor of whoever does the most damage. Keep them as distant as you possibly can, and you should be able to solve the problem on your own. In any case, it’s clear that your friend isn’t going to listen to reason, and from here I see three possible solution. The first is to cave. Go back to being an assassin. Kill some dragons for money and tell yourself they deserved it. It sounds like an unfulfilling lifestyle, but if it’s more comfortable than being stalked, it might be worth it. The second would be to try to get him to drop the assassin lifestyle too. He’ll still be there, clinging to you, but at least he won’t be trying to drag you away. Figure out what he desires, and try to find a way that civilian lifestyle can fulfill that desire. Of course, if his desire is to be an assassin, then I’m afraid this course of action is doomed. The third and most efficient way to solve your problem is to kill him. Yes, you said you didn’t want to spill blood, but if he’s as crazy as he sounds, this might be the only solution. I suggest poison. Befriend him for a few days, and slip something into his drink. As a former assassin, you probably know more about poisons than I do, but I’ve seen polonium used to great effect. It’s less detectable than arsenic and slower acting than cyanid, making it very hard to diagnose. It’s a little hard to find, but I’m sure someone in the Ashfall Waste could hook you up. Best of luck, Chickweed, Clan Caraway [/quote]
@MalusNight
47992663p.png
Quote:
Dear Mars,

Unfortunately, I don’t see an easy way out of this one. It sounds like Corvo is something of a dangerous lunatic, tragic backstory aside.

I agree, getting authorities involved is always a bad idea. Authorities are just that. Dragons who authorize stupid decisions in favor of whoever does the most damage. Keep them as distant as you possibly can, and you should be able to solve the problem on your own.

In any case, it’s clear that your friend isn’t going to listen to reason, and from here I see three possible solution.

The first is to cave. Go back to being an assassin. Kill some dragons for money and tell yourself they deserved it. It sounds like an unfulfilling lifestyle, but if it’s more comfortable than being stalked, it might be worth it.

The second would be to try to get him to drop the assassin lifestyle too. He’ll still be there, clinging to you, but at least he won’t be trying to drag you away. Figure out what he desires, and try to find a way that civilian lifestyle can fulfill that desire. Of course, if his desire is to be an assassin, then I’m afraid this course of action is doomed.

The third and most efficient way to solve your problem is to kill him. Yes, you said you didn’t want to spill blood, but if he’s as crazy as he sounds, this might be the only solution. I suggest poison. Befriend him for a few days, and slip something into his drink. As a former assassin, you probably know more about poisons than I do, but I’ve seen polonium used to great effect. It’s less detectable than arsenic and slower acting than cyanid, making it very hard to diagnose. It’s a little hard to find, but I’m sure someone in the Ashfall Waste could hook you up.

Best of luck,

Chickweed, Clan Caraway
7hN3sEu.png
[img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/112629/11262839.png[/img] [quote] Dear Chickweed, I am not at all surprised that you feel this way. Your current "friends" seem to be the kind who think of themselves as being the "good guys" and that sort does tend to be very judgemental. It would only make sense for them to resent you simply because of your information gathering habit, even despite it being helpful to them. Sadly, some dragons do tend to be impractical and hypocritical like that. On the other claw, keeping them convinced that the benefits of keeping you safe outweigh the negatives is also, in a way, extending power over them, is it not? Oh, but we keep discussing such serious matters. I wonder, do you like ghost stories? I´ve wandered around the Ghostlight Ruins several times before settling with my clan and have heard some strange tales from the locals there... Sincerely, Red Rian [/quote]
11262839.png
Quote:
Dear Chickweed,

I am not at all surprised that you feel this way. Your current "friends" seem to be the kind who think of themselves as being the "good guys" and that sort does tend to be very judgemental. It would only make sense for them to resent you simply because of your information gathering habit, even despite it being helpful to them. Sadly, some dragons do tend to be impractical and hypocritical like that. On the other claw, keeping them convinced that the benefits of keeping you safe outweigh the negatives is also, in a way, extending power over them, is it not?

Oh, but we keep discussing such serious matters. I wonder, do you like ghost stories? I´ve wandered around the Ghostlight Ruins several times before settling with my clan and have heard some strange tales from the locals there...

Sincerely,
Red Rian
[Font=courier new]@TheShanar [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48399335] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/483994/48399335_350.png[/img] [/url] [i]...This letter's font looks kinda... creepy. But why?[/i] [quote=Radnov][font=courier new]...Dear Chickweed. ...I found your letter. ...I think it would be great if I talk with letter with you. (Though I'm not good at write letter.) [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/483994/48399335p.png[/img](This is my face. - Because you wouldn't know my face.) ...I wonder what your hobby is. ...My hobbies are experiment and talk with others. ...2019. 3. 24, 7:38 pm. ...Sincerely, [Color=#0A3D67]...Radnov.[/color][/font][/quote][/font]
@TheShanar

48399335_350.png

...This letter's font looks kinda... creepy. But why?
Radnov wrote:
...Dear Chickweed.

...I found your letter.
...I think it would be great if I talk with letter with you. (Though I'm not good at write letter.)
48399335p.png(This is my face. - Because you wouldn't know my face.)
...I wonder what your hobby is. ...My hobbies are experiment and talk with others.

...2019. 3. 24, 7:38 pm.

...Sincerely,

...Radnov.
MjNjJE0.jpg button_deviantart_by_dogi_crimson-da73zt5.gifLS1h8hn.gifdeity_plaguebringer_by_dogi_crimson-daayujd.gif
LD9ESly.gif
@TheShanar [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=43843666] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/438437/43843666p.png[/img] [/url] [quote=Aristheus] Chickweed: Apologies. Now that we're in correspondence, your letter arrived without getting soaked this time. Nonetheless, my clan is in fact sophisticated, and we're in a renaissance right now. Our founders were young and naive, losing control of the lair early on, and the dictators that ruled over us for the following years have stunted our technological growth severely. Our benevolent leaders have since returned and we welcome with open arms dragons of all flights, including those of the Lightning territory. I can barely fathom such a creation as an independent Automaton, but only just. That is due to the fact that our new engineer of the lightning flight - he's called Mainframe, a nocturne - is working to tutor the ones under his wing. It is incredible to write that he has successfully modified a living dragon to be part automaton as well: a snapper which we call Recyclinda. She was on edge of death when we discovered her in the Starwood Strand, and these enhancements have clearly saved her life! Forgive my ramblings. What sort of dragon are you? And a peculiar question, but have you ever been another sort? I am now a Fae, but I was once an Imperial if you can believe such a thing. I mention this because of my rather small stature now. In your first letter you mentioned enemies and being in protective custody. What on Sornieth have you done to acquire such things? Are you in need of immediate assistance? I cannot do much on my own but I could attempt to send one of our guards to your location. Regards, Aristheus, Exalt Expert Clan of the Crystal Nook [/quote]
@TheShanar

43843666p.png

Aristheus wrote:
Chickweed:

Apologies. Now that we're in correspondence, your letter arrived without getting soaked this time. Nonetheless, my clan is in fact sophisticated, and we're in a renaissance right now. Our founders were young and naive, losing control of the lair early on, and the dictators that ruled over us for the following years have stunted our technological growth severely.

Our benevolent leaders have since returned and we welcome with open arms dragons of all flights, including those of the Lightning territory. I can barely fathom such a creation as an independent Automaton, but only just. That is due to the fact that our new engineer of the lightning flight - he's called Mainframe, a nocturne - is working to tutor the ones under his wing. It is incredible to write that he has successfully modified a living dragon to be part automaton as well: a snapper which we call Recyclinda. She was on edge of death when we discovered her in the Starwood Strand, and these enhancements have clearly saved her life!

Forgive my ramblings. What sort of dragon are you? And a peculiar question, but have you ever been another sort? I am now a Fae, but I was once an Imperial if you can believe such a thing. I mention this because of my rather small stature now. In your first letter you mentioned enemies and being in protective custody. What on Sornieth have you done to acquire such things? Are you in need of immediate assistance? I cannot do much on my own but I could attempt to send one of our guards to your location.

Regards,
Aristheus, Exalt Expert
Clan of the Crystal Nook
Always seeking dragons with interesting colors, Buying thread Stock the Pond! Breeding Challenge
he/him
twenties
mentally ill
about me / FAQ
clan lore
arcane flight
pings ok
FR Time +3
Fandragons tab
Pastel Goth Imperial Hatchery, Selling thread Secondhand Dragons for sale, selling thread
@Theshanar (This might be long) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41438595] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/414386/41438595_350.png[/img] [/url] [The letter is written in a fancy cursive handwriting with blue ink. Its letters are small (except its capitals) and slanted to the right. Its spacing has a small gap between two letters or two words. The letter has some ink smudges on the paper. It might be hard to read unless you know how cursive letters look like. The formatting looks like someone knows how letters are formatted.] [quote=Dante wrote:] Dear Chickweed, I had just received your letter a few days ago while I was drinking tea outside my home. The wind blew it to land it on the table I was on. At first, I was confused and curious on how it came from. I decided to decipher things from your letter and think of right words to say. That took me days before I send you this letter. At first, when I analyzed your letter, I was wondering on how on Sornieth would this letter not be caught by one of your enemies. I think it's risky to send letters but here you are. I think you are brave on taking that risk. Second, I was worried about your condition. Being soaked in rain might cause some diseases. I might send you some supplies if you want to. Third, what makes you be on the watch? It's okay if you are not willing to answer it. I understand how it feels to be watched and not wanting to say that to a complete stranger. Seems you are a bored guy so I have to ask you a question that is generic on its own but whatever. What are the other hobbies do you enjoy beside from taking down notes on something and collecting information? I also enjoy that too but it sometimes gives trouble. I'm still an info broker to this day even after I got myself in a death metal band! Some interesting things around my place (we don't have a clan): [LIST] [*]It's lawless. Yes, that might sound chaotic but it's actually peaceful there. [*]It has some alien stuff... Yes, you can see some tech that is too advanced to be from the big tech land that is Shifting Expanse. [*]There are some bars worth visiting. Like this alien bar that I frequented often. It's dragon friendly but there are still some bitter aliens that don't like dragons. It will be better if you bring an alien friend. [*]There are some musical instruments that seem foreign to dragons. There are some that are only powered by electricity [/LIST] [right]Yours Truly, Dante of Rotting Skulls[/right] PS: Rotting Skulls is not a clan. It's actually my band (death metal, to be exact). I'm the bassist in there. The music we make can... be harsh to some dragons. It contains banshee screams,beast like growls,heavy distorted guitars and bass and drums that could go on any rocket speed. We have some softer,slower songs though. Heck, even a blues album we made just for fun. Maybe I could send you a cassette full of our stuff and a cassette player if you want. PS 2: I'm not a dragon. [/quote] Attached: A symbol. It is a diamond divided in half by the line. Colored green on top and red on the bottom. The green triangle looks like pyramid with an eye as it's center while the red triangle has a closed eye and that looks like a door design.
@Theshanar

(This might be long)

41438595_350.png

[The letter is written in a fancy cursive handwriting with blue ink. Its letters are small (except its capitals) and slanted to the right. Its spacing has a small gap between two letters or two words. The letter has some ink smudges on the paper. It might be hard to read unless you know how cursive letters look like. The formatting looks like someone knows how letters are formatted.]
Dante wrote: wrote:
Dear Chickweed,

I had just received your letter a few days ago while I was drinking tea outside my home. The wind blew it to land it on the table I was on. At first, I was confused and curious on how it came from. I decided to decipher things from your letter and think of right words to say. That took me days before I send you this letter.

At first, when I analyzed your letter, I was wondering on how on Sornieth would this letter not be caught by one of your enemies. I think it's risky to send letters but here you are. I think you are brave on taking that risk. Second, I was worried about your condition. Being soaked in rain might cause some diseases. I might send you some supplies if you want to. Third, what makes you be on the watch? It's okay if you are not willing to answer it. I understand how it feels to be watched and not wanting to say that to a complete stranger.

Seems you are a bored guy so I have to ask you a question that is generic on its own but whatever. What are the other hobbies do you enjoy beside from taking down notes on something and collecting information? I also enjoy that too but it sometimes gives trouble. I'm still an info broker to this day even after I got myself in a death metal band!

Some interesting things around my place (we don't have a clan):
  • It's lawless. Yes, that might sound chaotic but it's actually peaceful there.
  • It has some alien stuff... Yes, you can see some tech that is too advanced to be from the big tech land that is Shifting Expanse.
  • There are some bars worth visiting. Like this alien bar that I frequented often. It's dragon friendly but there are still some bitter aliens that don't like dragons. It will be better if you bring an alien friend.
  • There are some musical instruments that seem foreign to dragons. There are some that are only powered by electricity
Yours Truly,
Dante of Rotting Skulls

PS: Rotting Skulls is not a clan. It's actually my band (death metal, to be exact). I'm the bassist in there. The music we make can... be harsh to some dragons. It contains banshee screams,beast like growls,heavy distorted guitars and bass and drums that could go on any rocket speed. We have some softer,slower songs though. Heck, even a blues album we made just for fun. Maybe I could send you a cassette full of our stuff and a cassette player if you want.
PS 2: I'm not a dragon.

Attached: A symbol. It is a diamond divided in half by the line. Colored green on top and red on the bottom. The green triangle looks like pyramid with an eye as it's center while the red triangle has a closed eye and that looks like a door design.
O2CQckQ.png8uFuUMu.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45249255][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/452493/45249255p.png[/img][/url] [quote name=Gloriana] Dear Mr Chickweed, I hope this letter finds you in good health and lessened boredom, and I'd like to apologize in advance for sending a letter out of the blue like this. The other day a young dragon from our clan came around to my library boasting about his penpal/adventure writer from somewhere far away. Nonetheless, Calais is rather a good storyteller, and many of us gathered round to hear some of your exploits. Sorry if this was an unwelcome breach of privacy, and sorry again that it all seems so far away to us that we start seeing it as trivial. I think I speak for the rest of the listeners when I say we quite enjoy your writing and, well, you have some fans. Respectfully, Gloriana[/quote] (@theshanar I really like your lore and Chickweed, it makes me happy seeing this thread come up every now and again :) )
45249255p.png
Gloriana wrote:
Dear Mr Chickweed,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and lessened boredom, and I'd like to apologize in advance for sending a letter out of the blue like this. The other day a young dragon from our clan came around to my library boasting about his penpal/adventure writer from somewhere far away. Nonetheless, Calais is rather a good storyteller, and many of us gathered round to hear some of your exploits.
Sorry if this was an unwelcome breach of privacy, and sorry again that it all seems so far away to us that we start seeing it as trivial. I think I speak for the rest of the listeners when I say we quite enjoy your writing and, well, you have some fans.

Respectfully,
Gloriana

(@theshanar I really like your lore and Chickweed, it makes me happy seeing this thread come up every now and again :) )
Pronouns: they/she/he
My Lair Lives in Hibden
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46484245][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/464843/46484245p.png[/img][/url][/center] [quote name=Nina] Dear Chickweed, I hear you are good at dispensing advice. I am currently in a little bit of a situation where that is...not unwelcome. You see, I received a lovely gift from a charming [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48985413]individual[/url] last Valentines day. The gift was the entire articulated skeleton of a Spiney Whale (in beautiful condition, I might add). This would normally not be an issue at all, but there is the slight problem of how it was acquired; the city museum lawyers would just about be knocking down my door if I didn't live underground and far away from all that urban rabble. As it stands, I have deposited the skeleton into the care of a trustworthy friend to fend off [i]most[/i] of the legal brouhaha. There seems to be no end to the case and I am a little put out that I cannot enjoy the sight of a whale skeleton within my own home. Do you have any suggestions? P.S) I also feel that my responding gift of a chocolate box and preserved heart in a jar paled in comparison to the skeleton. Would ordering a shipment of gold bars as a followup gift be too excessive? He does like shiny things... [/quote] (Reading through the replies, I just adore Chickweed's personality and the little bits of your clan lore that I can see around :D)
46484245p.png
Nina wrote:
Dear Chickweed,

I hear you are good at dispensing advice. I am currently in a little bit of a situation where that is...not unwelcome.

You see, I received a lovely gift from a charming individual last Valentines day. The gift was the entire articulated skeleton of a Spiney Whale (in beautiful condition, I might add). This would normally not be an issue at all, but there is the slight problem of how it was acquired; the city museum lawyers would just about be knocking down my door if I didn't live underground and far away from all that urban rabble.

As it stands, I have deposited the skeleton into the care of a trustworthy friend to fend off most of the legal brouhaha. There seems to be no end to the case and I am a little put out that I cannot enjoy the sight of a whale skeleton within my own home. Do you have any suggestions?

P.S) I also feel that my responding gift of a chocolate box and preserved heart in a jar paled in comparison to the skeleton. Would ordering a shipment of gold bars as a followup gift be too excessive? He does like shiny things...

(Reading through the replies, I just adore Chickweed's personality and the little bits of your clan lore that I can see around :D)
JBEajtP.gif
@missNevermind [center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/479927/47992663p.png[/img][/center] [quote]Dear Kieran, Forgive me for being unsympathetic, but had you written to me before you took in this child, I would have strongly suggested not to take him in the first place. It always baffles me when adults willingly subject themselves to the grind of parenthood. I was a schoolteacher for some time, and I could barely stand being in the room with some of my students, and the idea of caring for them full time makes my feathers go limp. But you seem to find the whole experience fulfilling. Well, good for you, but I can’t say that I’d like to trade places with you. My suggestion, though I doubt you will follow through, is to kick the kid out. A good heart or not, violent tendencies don’t go away easily, and if you want a quick solution, I suggest you get your clanmates together and banish him. But something tells me that you are too attached to this kid to follow through. So, I shared your letter with an acquaintance who isn’t as pragmatic as I am. This is her response: Me: So, what do you think? [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=426741&tab=dragon&did=46625979]Her[/url]: Oh, this is interesting! This young dragon might have a few issues, but that can’t be all he is. He must have other talents that he could showcase to his clanmates, like skill in hunting or flying, or maybe something artistic. The young dragon wouldn’t have to open up about his past to the dragons he doesn’t trust, and his clanmates would see that he is multidimensional. It would open up feelings on both sides. Tell your friend to—“ Me: Don’t tell me what to do. And there you have it, Kieran. You can do the smart thing and get rid of him, or you an draw out your heartache by trying to massage your clanmates into feeling sympathy. Best of luck! Chickweed, Clan Caraway. [/quote]
@missNevermind

47992663p.png
Quote:
Dear Kieran,

Forgive me for being unsympathetic, but had you written to me before you took in this child, I would have strongly suggested not to take him in the first place. It always baffles me when adults willingly subject themselves to the grind of parenthood. I was a schoolteacher for some time, and I could barely stand being in the room with some of my students, and the idea of caring for them full time makes my feathers go limp. But you seem to find the whole experience fulfilling. Well, good for you, but I can’t say that I’d like to trade places with you.

My suggestion, though I doubt you will follow through, is to kick the kid out. A good heart or not, violent tendencies don’t go away easily, and if you want a quick solution, I suggest you get your clanmates together and banish him.

But something tells me that you are too attached to this kid to follow through. So, I shared your letter with an acquaintance who isn’t as pragmatic as I am. This is her response:

Me: So, what do you think?

Her: Oh, this is interesting! This young dragon might have a few issues, but that can’t be all he is. He must have other talents that he could showcase to his clanmates, like skill in hunting or flying, or maybe something artistic. The young dragon wouldn’t have to open up about his past to the dragons he doesn’t trust, and his clanmates would see that he is multidimensional. It would open up feelings on both sides. Tell your friend to—“

Me: Don’t tell me what to do.

And there you have it, Kieran. You can do the smart thing and get rid of him, or you an draw out your heartache by trying to massage your clanmates into feeling sympathy.

Best of luck!

Chickweed, Clan Caraway.
7hN3sEu.png
@Morigan [center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/479927/47992663p.png[/img][/center] [quote]Dear Rian, As I so happens, I am very fond of ghost stories, though preferably that take place a very long time ago. As a hatching, we had a Clan witch who often told us stories. A favorite of mine was about a small dragon who somehow vaporized himself somewhere in the Starfall Isles and wreaked havoc on the community almost like a force of nature. I suppose I liked the idea of a little dragon spontaneously becoming a mighty force to be reckoned with. The Ghostlight ruins though… that sounds fascinating. I’ve heard whisperings about it, but always thought they were stories told to hatchlings at the Trickmurk Circus. What sort of things did you find during your travels there? Sincerely, Chickweed, Clan Caraway [/quote]
@Morigan
47992663p.png
Quote:
Dear Rian,

As I so happens, I am very fond of ghost stories, though preferably that take place a very long time ago. As a hatching, we had a Clan witch who often told us stories. A favorite of mine was about a small dragon who somehow vaporized himself somewhere in the Starfall Isles and wreaked havoc on the community almost like a force of nature. I suppose I liked the idea of a little dragon spontaneously becoming a mighty force to be reckoned with.

The Ghostlight ruins though… that sounds fascinating. I’ve heard whisperings about it, but always thought they were stories told to hatchlings at the Trickmurk Circus. What sort of things did you find during your travels there?

Sincerely,

Chickweed, Clan Caraway
7hN3sEu.png
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14