Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Lore] Lost Souls of the Forest
[center][size=6]Lost Souls of the Forest[/size] Opening | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_55461722]Disclaimers[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_55461723]House Overview & Story List[/url][/center] In the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/wiki/wiki/article/chapter-2-the-second-age]Second Age[/url], a great reactor was build. It was intended to give scientists and mages excellent knowledge of the world around them - answer unsolvable questions and explain strange occurances in nature. People from the entire world came to see this reactor's grand opening. Ultimately, each one of those people died. But by magic, science, or even pure luck, not everyone was lost. Some of those whose lives ended that day had their souls transferred into pure manifestations of magic. These lingered in the atmosphere until the present day, where they came back down and merged with unhatched eggs of dragons. Now dragons, people from the Second Age find themself in a world they barely know, with either vague or no memories at all of their past life. Those that remember the most tend to be the strangest, but the leader of the clan, Mayel, makes a point to welcome everyone who stumbles into the area. [center][pinglist=10919] (Subscribe above to be pinged when new stories are posted! [emoji=new friend size=1])[/center]
Lost Souls of the Forest
Opening | Disclaimers | House Overview & Story List

In the Second Age, a great reactor was build. It was intended to give scientists and mages excellent knowledge of the world around them - answer unsolvable questions and explain strange occurances in nature. People from the entire world came to see this reactor's grand opening.

Ultimately, each one of those people died. But by magic, science, or even pure luck, not everyone was lost.

Some of those whose lives ended that day had their souls transferred into pure manifestations of magic. These lingered in the atmosphere until the present day, where they came back down and merged with unhatched eggs of dragons.

Now dragons, people from the Second Age find themself in a world they barely know, with either vague or no memories at all of their past life. Those that remember the most tend to be the strangest, but the leader of the clan, Mayel, makes a point to welcome everyone who stumbles into the area.

(Subscribe above to be pinged when new stories are posted! )
qv9W79E.png aaaaw3fPTiE.png
[center][size=5]Disclaimers[/size] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_3286819]Opening[/url] | Disclaimers | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_55461723]House Overview & Story List[/url][/center] Please keep the following in mind as you read: [list][*] This will - more than once - acccidentally contradict canon. [*] - As a side note to this I have historically forgotten that an entire mountain range existed, so I am...unreliable at best in some cases. [*] All dragons are roughly the same size. [*] Dragon-specific actions/habits, like fae's lack of inflection or ridgeback's aversion to water, may or may not exist. I might make a list of what does and does not carry over later, but for now assume that the main resemblance to FR's dragons is the name and basic setting. [*] I may forget what I'm writing and mix up terms; saying 'people' instead of 'dragons' and the like. [*] I can add as many as one story a week and as little as one a year. It really just depends on how much I feel like writing. [*] I obsessively reread things and feel obligated to correct errors, so I may edit a story loooong after I first posted it. [*] Whether I use a slanted or straight apostrophe/quotation mark entirely depends on if Google Docs carries them over or not. What I use might vary between posts if I write one on my iPad, but another on my computer.
Disclaimers

Please keep the following in mind as you read:
  • This will - more than once - acccidentally contradict canon.
  • - As a side note to this I have historically forgotten that an entire mountain range existed, so I am...unreliable at best in some cases.
  • All dragons are roughly the same size.
  • Dragon-specific actions/habits, like fae's lack of inflection or ridgeback's aversion to water, may or may not exist. I might make a list of what does and does not carry over later, but for now assume that the main resemblance to FR's dragons is the name and basic setting.
  • I may forget what I'm writing and mix up terms; saying 'people' instead of 'dragons' and the like.
  • I can add as many as one story a week and as little as one a year. It really just depends on how much I feel like writing.
  • I obsessively reread things and feel obligated to correct errors, so I may edit a story loooong after I first posted it.
  • Whether I use a slanted or straight apostrophe/quotation mark entirely depends on if Google Docs carries them over or not. What I use might vary between posts if I write one on my iPad, but another on my computer.
[center][size=5]House Overview[/size] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_3286819]Opening[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_55461722]Disclaimers[/url] | House Overview & Story List[/center] [emoji=rose size=1][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/lair/460770]House Rose[/url][/b]: Home to Mayel and her family, as well as the clan's finest warriors. [emoji=flowering tree size=1][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/lair/460770/1504459?name=&type=undefined]House Sakura[/url][/b]: Where a majority of the clan lives. Most remember little from their past lives. [emoji=bramble size=1][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/lair/460770/1717276?name=&type=undefined]House Foxglove[/url][/b]: Home to the clan's more dangerous types, such as Malorne and Val. They remember their past lives somewhat well. [emoji=four leaf clover size=1][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/lair/460770/1739160?name=&type=undefined]House Lotus[/url][/b]: Dragons who are here by pure coincidence, with their own ambitions or stories to share. [emoji=bamboo chute size=1][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/lair/460770/1504458?name=&type=undefined]House Bamboo[/url][/b]: A subset of House Sakura. The clan's hatchling caretakers belong here, as well as members who have not yet gone to a certain house. [emoji=crescent moon 1 size=1][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/den/460770]House Wisteria[/url][/b]: Dragons who were once apart of the clan, but have disappeared. [center][size=5]List of Stories[/size] [list][*] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_55462493]Among Petals and Stars...[/url] (Mayel and Luthien) [*] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_55499114]A Deal[/url] (Rahasya, Medeia, and Malorne) [*] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_55758046]Shadowshine Wolf[/url] (Medeia, Malorne, Maiyun)
House Overview

House Rose: Home to Mayel and her family, as well as the clan's finest warriors.
House Sakura: Where a majority of the clan lives. Most remember little from their past lives.
House Foxglove: Home to the clan's more dangerous types, such as Malorne and Val. They remember their past lives somewhat well.
House Lotus: Dragons who are here by pure coincidence, with their own ambitions or stories to share.
House Bamboo: A subset of House Sakura. The clan's hatchling caretakers belong here, as well as members who have not yet gone to a certain house.
House Wisteria: Dragons who were once apart of the clan, but have disappeared.
List of Stories
[center][size=5]Personal Reference[/size] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_3286819]Opening[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_55461722]Disclaimers[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3286819/1#post_55461723]House Overview & Story List[/url][/center] [code] [center][size=5]STORY NAME[/size] linked cast members summary pinglist --[/center] content [/code]
Code:
[center][size=5]STORY NAME[/size] linked cast members summary pinglist --[/center] content
[center][emoji=book size=1][emoji=book 2 size=1][/center]
Among Petals and Stars...
Mayel and Luthien

Mayel and Luthien's draconic meeting.
--
She opened her eyes to a starry sight above her. She spent some time just…marveling at it.

It seemed familiar. With no one around her, she broke completely free of her shell and began to wander. She had many thoughts in that short course of time; she knew she moved with more purpose than a hatchling ought to.

Her name is Mayel. She knew that without even thinking about it - like it was a core aspect of her being. She would never forget such an important piece of information.
She eventually found herself in the forest; the greenery around her matched her eyes and wings. She immediately felt…at home here. She gazed at the place around her, feeling quite attached to this piece of land already. She barely noticed that a dragon slightly larger than her came next to her. They gazed too.

When the two dragons actually looked at each other, they paused. Hesitantly, the other asked, “What is your name?”

She responded without hesitation. “Mayel. Yours?”

“Luthien.”

It seemed familiar to her, and his expression seemed to imply the same about her name.

That day, they made a promise: to build a home in that spot, and welcome those who shared their sense of familiarity and comfort at being there. Mayel outgrew a formal disposition, becoming cheerful and friendly; although Luthien was always wary and slightly combative, he protected his family and home first and foremost.

It reminded her, albeit vaguely, of another promise—one she could’ve sworn she made with Luthien, but she couldn’t fully remember it. In time, however, she forgot what brought her to the spot in the forest in the first place—she prioritized living in the present, rather than reflecting on the past, and because of that she became the dragon those of the clan know today.
Among Petals and Stars...
Mayel and Luthien

Mayel and Luthien's draconic meeting.
--
She opened her eyes to a starry sight above her. She spent some time just…marveling at it.

It seemed familiar. With no one around her, she broke completely free of her shell and began to wander. She had many thoughts in that short course of time; she knew she moved with more purpose than a hatchling ought to.

Her name is Mayel. She knew that without even thinking about it - like it was a core aspect of her being. She would never forget such an important piece of information.
She eventually found herself in the forest; the greenery around her matched her eyes and wings. She immediately felt…at home here. She gazed at the place around her, feeling quite attached to this piece of land already. She barely noticed that a dragon slightly larger than her came next to her. They gazed too.

When the two dragons actually looked at each other, they paused. Hesitantly, the other asked, “What is your name?”

She responded without hesitation. “Mayel. Yours?”

“Luthien.”

It seemed familiar to her, and his expression seemed to imply the same about her name.

That day, they made a promise: to build a home in that spot, and welcome those who shared their sense of familiarity and comfort at being there. Mayel outgrew a formal disposition, becoming cheerful and friendly; although Luthien was always wary and slightly combative, he protected his family and home first and foremost.

It reminded her, albeit vaguely, of another promise—one she could’ve sworn she made with Luthien, but she couldn’t fully remember it. In time, however, she forgot what brought her to the spot in the forest in the first place—she prioritized living in the present, rather than reflecting on the past, and because of that she became the dragon those of the clan know today.
A Deal
Rahasya, Medeia, and Malorne

Medeia, a leader of a circus troupe, and her second-in-command Rahasya go to House Foxglove to make a deal with Malorne.

@Lost Souls of the Forest (ThatOneRose's lore)
--
“Have I told you yet that this is a bad idea?”

“Yes, Ra.” Her frustration was made clear by how she twisted around as she flew, accompanied by a sigh. “Over and over and over—you’re worse than Kadisha telling me that my shows ‘aren’t good.’ You’re a broken record.”

“I just want to make myself clear,” Rahasya maintained. “Malorne isn’t trustworthy.”

“Neither am I,” the spiral huffed. She more or less straightened herself out as they got closer to the entrance of House Foxglove. “She said she would support me, and I’m interested to hear what she says.”

Rahasya sighed. In another time, he might have been able to convince her; but for as long as he could actually remember, she was always like this. Maybe the feeling that he could guide her came from a former life of some sort.

They reached House Foxglove’s entrance shortly, landing at the archway that marked it. Nothing set it apart from its surroundings—Mayel encouraged them to ‘do what they wanted,’ but drew the line at poisonous plants as soon as one entered. Those were further inside.

Rahasya always considered House Foxglove to be a…place to die, for lack of better words. It was where dragons could go in and never come out, either willingly or because they met an untimely end. Granted, if anyone was ever so open about their murderous affairs, Mayel would remove them. Even Medeia’s shows, although famed for their sadistic bent, needed to be performed with willing volunteers and couldn’t outright harm someone.

It took about five minutes before Malorne greeted them, her bodyguard (or adopted son, depending on how cynical you were) Alethios next to her. Medeia and Malorne exchanged some pleasantries as Alethios examined Rahasya and almost seemed relieved.

Medeia got to the point fairly quickly. “What can you offer me that means giving my allegiance to you?”

“You won’t be giving me your allegiance. We’re not fighting a war.” A glimmer in her eyes suggested a ‘yet.’ She gave Medeia a curious look. “I just heard your shows weren’t reaching expectations with the audience. You rely too much on action and not enough on storytelling, and it amounts to hateful jokes and bland acts. It’s surprising you’ve still been in business for all these years.”

Medeia narrowed her eyes, but the skydancer ignored her and carried on with nonchalance.

“I want you to perform a show for me,” Malorne said simply. “It will be performed for myself and for the rest of my family, and it must conform to our individual expectations. If you can manage that, I’ll give you everything you need to make your performances more…entertaining.”

“And if that can’t be done?” Rahasya asked in Medeia’s stead. She didn’t think about the consequences; her arm was already half outstretched.

Malorne gave them a cold smile. “Then the Shadowshine Wolf will take over, and the circus will change ownership.”

Before Rahasya could protest, Medeia reached her arm out to Malorne. Malorne shook it, sealing the deal.

“Very well then. I look forward to your performance.”
A Deal
Rahasya, Medeia, and Malorne

Medeia, a leader of a circus troupe, and her second-in-command Rahasya go to House Foxglove to make a deal with Malorne.

@Lost Souls of the Forest (ThatOneRose's lore)
--
“Have I told you yet that this is a bad idea?”

“Yes, Ra.” Her frustration was made clear by how she twisted around as she flew, accompanied by a sigh. “Over and over and over—you’re worse than Kadisha telling me that my shows ‘aren’t good.’ You’re a broken record.”

“I just want to make myself clear,” Rahasya maintained. “Malorne isn’t trustworthy.”

“Neither am I,” the spiral huffed. She more or less straightened herself out as they got closer to the entrance of House Foxglove. “She said she would support me, and I’m interested to hear what she says.”

Rahasya sighed. In another time, he might have been able to convince her; but for as long as he could actually remember, she was always like this. Maybe the feeling that he could guide her came from a former life of some sort.

They reached House Foxglove’s entrance shortly, landing at the archway that marked it. Nothing set it apart from its surroundings—Mayel encouraged them to ‘do what they wanted,’ but drew the line at poisonous plants as soon as one entered. Those were further inside.

Rahasya always considered House Foxglove to be a…place to die, for lack of better words. It was where dragons could go in and never come out, either willingly or because they met an untimely end. Granted, if anyone was ever so open about their murderous affairs, Mayel would remove them. Even Medeia’s shows, although famed for their sadistic bent, needed to be performed with willing volunteers and couldn’t outright harm someone.

It took about five minutes before Malorne greeted them, her bodyguard (or adopted son, depending on how cynical you were) Alethios next to her. Medeia and Malorne exchanged some pleasantries as Alethios examined Rahasya and almost seemed relieved.

Medeia got to the point fairly quickly. “What can you offer me that means giving my allegiance to you?”

“You won’t be giving me your allegiance. We’re not fighting a war.” A glimmer in her eyes suggested a ‘yet.’ She gave Medeia a curious look. “I just heard your shows weren’t reaching expectations with the audience. You rely too much on action and not enough on storytelling, and it amounts to hateful jokes and bland acts. It’s surprising you’ve still been in business for all these years.”

Medeia narrowed her eyes, but the skydancer ignored her and carried on with nonchalance.

“I want you to perform a show for me,” Malorne said simply. “It will be performed for myself and for the rest of my family, and it must conform to our individual expectations. If you can manage that, I’ll give you everything you need to make your performances more…entertaining.”

“And if that can’t be done?” Rahasya asked in Medeia’s stead. She didn’t think about the consequences; her arm was already half outstretched.

Malorne gave them a cold smile. “Then the Shadowshine Wolf will take over, and the circus will change ownership.”

Before Rahasya could protest, Medeia reached her arm out to Malorne. Malorne shook it, sealing the deal.

“Very well then. I look forward to your performance.”
Shadowshine Wolf
Medeia, Malorne, and Maiyun

Making due on their deal, Medeia and her troupe perform for Malorne’s family. Surely someone like Malorne would love a sadistic, dark display?

(I immediately realized a grammar mistake after I posted this, and I don’t want to double ping. The pinglist was here.)
--
Ignazio begrudgingly set up the venue while Rahasya watched, Varum played with cards, and Petr practiced obliterating grapes. So far, not too unusual from their usual pre-show preparations.

Varum flipped over a card and cackled. Medeia gave him an unamused look for him to explain.

“You know what I’m gonna say,” he pointed out. “My cards tell of doom and gloom and that’s only good for the people like Malorne.”

“So we can all agree this is a bad idea?” Petr asked, looking at the rest as he sat down grapes on a table. They had one of the nature gardeners grow them to be shaped like dragons—if the gardener had known they would be routinely squished to serve as cheap black comedy, they likely would have refused.

Medeia scowled, but her troupe—used to it by now, and aggravated at a choice she had the right to make—didn’t respond. Instead, Rahasya left her side, half-flying over to give Petr some feedback.

Nevermind them. Malorne and her menagerie would be easy to please; they were all a delusional, sadistic bunch that only cared for their own ends. Medeia will come out of this on top. She refused anything less.

The sun set over the stage, light now coming from torches Rahasya set up. Medeia stood out on the stage alone as Malorne and her family—including her mate, who only showed up for things of great importance to House Foxglove—and a skydancer with a wolf skin that Medeia didn’t recognize.

That skydancer must be the so-called ‘Shadowshine Wolf.’ Medeia wondered if she had the same kind of ‘past life memories’ so many of House Foxglove claimed to have.

Medeia introduced the show, and it officially began. Varum came out to prophesy the act’s events—to raise their expectations and give them something to look forward to. Petr arranged an entire scene with the grape dragons before Medeia ran a sword across half of them. Rahasya collected the ‘heads’ and served them to Malorne and her family, but at most her children just poked at them.

Whenever Malorne or Tiay prepared to stand up, Medeia ordered her troupe to play out some scene of past victory. If Lynx or Carcin yawned, she had Petr bring out more grapes and slaughtered them. It was as violent and sadistic as she could get, without actually endangering a dragon—and Medeia honestly would kill someone if it showed Malorne that Medeia was superior to this…’Shadowshine Wolf.’

They put on the most gruesome, crude show of their lives, guided by their own interests and what they thought would bring in the highest shock and dark humor value. Medeia smiled—there wasn’t any way that could have failed. They were perfect.

She was perfect.

Malorne was the first to give some applause, and Medeia basked in it when the skydancer’s family joined. She lived for the attention, even if the audience was small.

“Good job,” Malorne said. “That was a stunning performance. You have every right to enjoy the attention.”

“Of course! No one can match—“

“Please hold off on the gloating,” the stranger skydancer said coldly. “That was revolting. Do you really think Malorne is so bloodthirsty?”

The question caught her off guard, silencing her. The Shadowshine Wolf stood up and walked onto the stage, standing taller than Medeia could. She addressed Medeia’s troupe, all around her and accepting the praise with even expressions.

“All of you have potential.” She glanced back at Malorne, who nodded. Her smile when she looked back made Medeia want to strangle her. “Might you show me around the area where you live? I haven’t been here for long—I need to get settled in as troupe leader.”

Medeia watched for a second, dumbfounded, as her troupe walked or flew away. She tried to go after them, only stopped by Malorne’s mirror children holding down her tail. Confusion or betrayal turned into rage, and she spun towards Malorne.

“You monster! That’s my troupe, my home! I’ll tell Mayel—you can’t do this to me!”

Malorne let out an amused, grim chuckle. “Yes, I can. Mayel’s been worried about your performances lately—you’ve had a good run, but I think it’s time to call it a day.”

“Pack up! Leave! Never return!” Malorne’s daughter chirped. “It’s the least you can do for trying to feed me grapes!”

“I—“

Go,” Tiay growled.

Medeia didn’t want to, but as soon as Malorne’s mirror children moved off her tail, she fled.

Fine, then. If no one would stand by her, she didn’t need them.
Shadowshine Wolf
Medeia, Malorne, and Maiyun

Making due on their deal, Medeia and her troupe perform for Malorne’s family. Surely someone like Malorne would love a sadistic, dark display?

(I immediately realized a grammar mistake after I posted this, and I don’t want to double ping. The pinglist was here.)
--
Ignazio begrudgingly set up the venue while Rahasya watched, Varum played with cards, and Petr practiced obliterating grapes. So far, not too unusual from their usual pre-show preparations.

Varum flipped over a card and cackled. Medeia gave him an unamused look for him to explain.

“You know what I’m gonna say,” he pointed out. “My cards tell of doom and gloom and that’s only good for the people like Malorne.”

“So we can all agree this is a bad idea?” Petr asked, looking at the rest as he sat down grapes on a table. They had one of the nature gardeners grow them to be shaped like dragons—if the gardener had known they would be routinely squished to serve as cheap black comedy, they likely would have refused.

Medeia scowled, but her troupe—used to it by now, and aggravated at a choice she had the right to make—didn’t respond. Instead, Rahasya left her side, half-flying over to give Petr some feedback.

Nevermind them. Malorne and her menagerie would be easy to please; they were all a delusional, sadistic bunch that only cared for their own ends. Medeia will come out of this on top. She refused anything less.

The sun set over the stage, light now coming from torches Rahasya set up. Medeia stood out on the stage alone as Malorne and her family—including her mate, who only showed up for things of great importance to House Foxglove—and a skydancer with a wolf skin that Medeia didn’t recognize.

That skydancer must be the so-called ‘Shadowshine Wolf.’ Medeia wondered if she had the same kind of ‘past life memories’ so many of House Foxglove claimed to have.

Medeia introduced the show, and it officially began. Varum came out to prophesy the act’s events—to raise their expectations and give them something to look forward to. Petr arranged an entire scene with the grape dragons before Medeia ran a sword across half of them. Rahasya collected the ‘heads’ and served them to Malorne and her family, but at most her children just poked at them.

Whenever Malorne or Tiay prepared to stand up, Medeia ordered her troupe to play out some scene of past victory. If Lynx or Carcin yawned, she had Petr bring out more grapes and slaughtered them. It was as violent and sadistic as she could get, without actually endangering a dragon—and Medeia honestly would kill someone if it showed Malorne that Medeia was superior to this…’Shadowshine Wolf.’

They put on the most gruesome, crude show of their lives, guided by their own interests and what they thought would bring in the highest shock and dark humor value. Medeia smiled—there wasn’t any way that could have failed. They were perfect.

She was perfect.

Malorne was the first to give some applause, and Medeia basked in it when the skydancer’s family joined. She lived for the attention, even if the audience was small.

“Good job,” Malorne said. “That was a stunning performance. You have every right to enjoy the attention.”

“Of course! No one can match—“

“Please hold off on the gloating,” the stranger skydancer said coldly. “That was revolting. Do you really think Malorne is so bloodthirsty?”

The question caught her off guard, silencing her. The Shadowshine Wolf stood up and walked onto the stage, standing taller than Medeia could. She addressed Medeia’s troupe, all around her and accepting the praise with even expressions.

“All of you have potential.” She glanced back at Malorne, who nodded. Her smile when she looked back made Medeia want to strangle her. “Might you show me around the area where you live? I haven’t been here for long—I need to get settled in as troupe leader.”

Medeia watched for a second, dumbfounded, as her troupe walked or flew away. She tried to go after them, only stopped by Malorne’s mirror children holding down her tail. Confusion or betrayal turned into rage, and she spun towards Malorne.

“You monster! That’s my troupe, my home! I’ll tell Mayel—you can’t do this to me!”

Malorne let out an amused, grim chuckle. “Yes, I can. Mayel’s been worried about your performances lately—you’ve had a good run, but I think it’s time to call it a day.”

“Pack up! Leave! Never return!” Malorne’s daughter chirped. “It’s the least you can do for trying to feed me grapes!”

“I—“

Go,” Tiay growled.

Medeia didn’t want to, but as soon as Malorne’s mirror children moved off her tail, she fled.

Fine, then. If no one would stand by her, she didn’t need them.