Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [CYOA] the cavern of no return
1 2 3
welcome to the cavern of no return!

this is a free-to-participate choose your own adventure story!

we'll be following the adventure of an amnesiac obelisk, and their trials and tribulations as they explore this strange cave system. their story will be recorded in their bio, and updated with each decision, so check there if you'd like to read the story without votes/conversation!

there's a lot of characters, settings, and possible endings to explore!! be warned, though: the decisions are final, and death will not be avoided. there's no going back, so choose carefully!

there will likely be three to four decisions in each story post. a story post will be given two days from the time of posting before the vote is final.

next post: FAQ
welcome to the cavern of no return!

this is a free-to-participate choose your own adventure story!

we'll be following the adventure of an amnesiac obelisk, and their trials and tribulations as they explore this strange cave system. their story will be recorded in their bio, and updated with each decision, so check there if you'd like to read the story without votes/conversation!

there's a lot of characters, settings, and possible endings to explore!! be warned, though: the decisions are final, and death will not be avoided. there's no going back, so choose carefully!

there will likely be three to four decisions in each story post. a story post will be given two days from the time of posting before the vote is final.

next post: FAQ
i want you to look back and see how far that we've all came
i want you to remember them
and carry on their name

mX6TeTF.png

personal quest // wishlist // CYOA thread
[size=5][i]FAQ[/i][/size] (or, a more apt title: questions i [i]think[/i] people would frequently ask) [u]what [i]is[/i] a choose your own adventure story, anyway?[/u] [list] [*]commonly abbreviated to CYOA, this is a type of [b]interactive story where you, the reader, get to decide what choices the character makes[/b] (at least, what choice from a given list of predetermined choices). there are "single-player" books and stories that follow this format, but this is a more "multi-player" story, [b]where every person who posts has one vote, and majority wins![/b] [/list] [u]how do i participate?[/u] [LIST] [*]every two days, a "story post" will be posted. this post details the consequences of the choice previously made, and offers new choices. each choice will be given a letter (A, B, C, etc). [b]to vote, simply read the choices and post the letter of the choice you want to make![/b] after those two days, the votes will be tallied, and the next story post will be made. [/LIST] [u]can i vote even if i'm not on the pinglist?[/u] [LIST] [*][b]yes!![/b] people who are on the pinglist don't get any bonuses or advantages over people not on the pinglist. [/LIST] [u]what if it's a tie?[/u] [LIST] [*][b]i'll ask my sister![/b] she isn't on flight rising, but likes this kind of thing, so she'll be our tiebreaker. if she doesn't respond in like, an hour or something, i'll use a random wheel spinner thing. [/LIST] [u]can i enlist my friends to vote for my choice? even if they aren't on flight rising, like your sister?[/u] [LIST] [*][i]yes, you can absolutely invite people to participate!!![/i] but [b]only people with flight rising accounts.[/b] i can't have somebody making a bunch of discord bots and sending screenshots of "my friends who totally all want to vote this one option". also, you do not have final say over who votes what, even if they are your friend. [b]lighthearted bantering is fine, but don't complain or harass others for not picking the option you wanted![/b] [/LIST] [u]our character can [i]die[/i]? what happens then?[/u] [LIST] [*]depends on how long this adventure has gone on for, tbh! [b]if it's very early in the story, i might pull a little deus ex machina.[/b] this does not mean they will get off without concequences! but they won't be fully dead. [b]if it's longer on in the story, but not all of the mystery has been revealed, i might start a new one with another dragon in the same setting![/b] if it's gone on for long enough, i'll probably take a break from CYOA threads, and [b]maybe start another one with a different character/setting.[/b] [/LIST] [u]can we talk about the story in the thread, even if we've already voted? can we talk about it offsite?[/u] [LIST] [*][b]yes, absolutely[/b]! i'll be providing [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3211915/1#post_53467293]a link to the most current story post on the first page[/url], so talk all you want and don't worry about clutter! and offsite is okay - [b]i'd prefer you talk about it in this thread[/b], so everyone can be included, but i can't really stop you! [/LIST] [u]can [i]i[/i] make a CYOA thread?[/u] [LIST] [*][b]YES !!![/b] i LOVE cyoa stories, there needs to be more on them on flight rising!! [b]if you start one up, feel free to ping me[/b]!!![i] if you make one based on this setting or characters, please credit me[/i], but otherwise go crazy go wild!!! [/LIST] [u]can i change my vote after i've already made the post?[/u] [LIST] [*][b]yes, unless the voting deadline has already passed.[/b] even if i haven't made a new post yet, that's the cutoff, and you can't change anything after. if you make an initial vote and then decide a few minutes later to change it, that's perfectly fine!! you might see somebody else's justification for their answer and like it better; you might go back and reread something; or whatever other reason you might have for changing it! just make sure to get your final answer in by the deadline, and it's all good. [/LIST] [u]can my character participate/roleplay in this?[/u] [LIST] [*][b]nope![/b] sorry, but this isn't a traditional roleplay - there's tons of other people looking for rps, though, so the best of luck to you finding somebody! if you're interested in roleplaying with me, specficially, feel free to reach out! i love roleplaying, and even if i'm not available at the moment to do a rp with you, i can let you know when i am! [/LIST] [u]what about this thing you didn't mention?[/u] [LIST] [*]if you have a question that hasn't already been answered in the first post or faq, [b]ping me with your question[/b] and i'll answer it as soon as possible! i'll probably put it in the faq post as well, just to keep everything together. [/LIST]
FAQ
(or, a more apt title: questions i think people would frequently ask)

what is a choose your own adventure story, anyway?
  • commonly abbreviated to CYOA, this is a type of interactive story where you, the reader, get to decide what choices the character makes (at least, what choice from a given list of predetermined choices). there are "single-player" books and stories that follow this format, but this is a more "multi-player" story, where every person who posts has one vote, and majority wins!

how do i participate?
  • every two days, a "story post" will be posted. this post details the consequences of the choice previously made, and offers new choices. each choice will be given a letter (A, B, C, etc). to vote, simply read the choices and post the letter of the choice you want to make! after those two days, the votes will be tallied, and the next story post will be made.

can i vote even if i'm not on the pinglist?
  • yes!! people who are on the pinglist don't get any bonuses or advantages over people not on the pinglist.

what if it's a tie?
  • i'll ask my sister! she isn't on flight rising, but likes this kind of thing, so she'll be our tiebreaker. if she doesn't respond in like, an hour or something, i'll use a random wheel spinner thing.

can i enlist my friends to vote for my choice? even if they aren't on flight rising, like your sister?
  • yes, you can absolutely invite people to participate!!! but only people with flight rising accounts. i can't have somebody making a bunch of discord bots and sending screenshots of "my friends who totally all want to vote this one option". also, you do not have final say over who votes what, even if they are your friend. lighthearted bantering is fine, but don't complain or harass others for not picking the option you wanted!

our character can die? what happens then?
  • depends on how long this adventure has gone on for, tbh! if it's very early in the story, i might pull a little deus ex machina. this does not mean they will get off without concequences! but they won't be fully dead. if it's longer on in the story, but not all of the mystery has been revealed, i might start a new one with another dragon in the same setting! if it's gone on for long enough, i'll probably take a break from CYOA threads, and maybe start another one with a different character/setting.

can we talk about the story in the thread, even if we've already voted? can we talk about it offsite?
can i make a CYOA thread?
  • YES !!! i LOVE cyoa stories, there needs to be more on them on flight rising!! if you start one up, feel free to ping me!!! if you make one based on this setting or characters, please credit me, but otherwise go crazy go wild!!!

can i change my vote after i've already made the post?
  • yes, unless the voting deadline has already passed. even if i haven't made a new post yet, that's the cutoff, and you can't change anything after. if you make an initial vote and then decide a few minutes later to change it, that's perfectly fine!! you might see somebody else's justification for their answer and like it better; you might go back and reread something; or whatever other reason you might have for changing it! just make sure to get your final answer in by the deadline, and it's all good.

can my character participate/roleplay in this?
  • nope! sorry, but this isn't a traditional roleplay - there's tons of other people looking for rps, though, so the best of luck to you finding somebody! if you're interested in roleplaying with me, specficially, feel free to reach out! i love roleplaying, and even if i'm not available at the moment to do a rp with you, i can let you know when i am!

what about this thing you didn't mention?
  • if you have a question that hasn't already been answered in the first post or faq, ping me with your question and i'll answer it as soon as possible! i'll probably put it in the faq post as well, just to keep everything together.
and carry on their name

mX6TeTF.png

pinglist

want to be on or off the pinglist? just ask!

general pinglist: @Zoyki @SmolderingFlame @Tanganika @FumblingNarwhal @LumoInnIt @Giraffe4 @huniepie
pinglist

want to be on or off the pinglist? just ask!

general pinglist: @Zoyki @SmolderingFlame @Tanganika @FumblingNarwhal @LumoInnIt @Giraffe4 @huniepie
and carry on their name

mX6TeTF.png

Slowly, you awaken. Your eyelids are sticky and your limbs deeply exhausted, like you've woken up from a very long sleep. The first thing you notice is the dull cold, seeping in through your thick fur and leathery wings. The second thing you notice is the dark. There's a faint red glow emanating through the room, reflecting off of the dark ice walls and pulsing in time with your breath. The room is more of a cave, really. The floor slowly curves up at the edges into an offset orb kind of shape, made jagged and sharp by the shards of ice poking out at various angles. The only entrance is a tunnel a few feet from you, small in size and length. There's a warm light coming from outside, as well as faint chatter—chatter that's quickly getting closer, you realize. As you glance around the room with a more sharpened eye than when you first woke up, you notice the glow is coming from you. As you move closer to the wall, you can see your reflection more clearly. You're a sturdy, fur-covered dragon; crimson, shining patterns and skeletal markings cover your body; frostbitten chains and a few metal cuffs engraved with strange symbols drag you down with their weight. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=3213177&skin=0&apparel=25620,11670,11509&xt=dressing.png[/img] An exclamation from outside reminds you of the growing noise. You've got to make a decision, and [i]fast[/i]. [u]A)[/u] [b]Go through the tunnel[/b]. It's a bit small, but maybe whoever's outside can help you. Either by getting these things [i]off[/i] or even just telling you where you [i]are[/i]. And if they do try to attack you, at least you have the element of surprise. [u]B)[/u] [b]Hide[/b]. You don't know what's out there, you've just barely woken up, and you have a bunch of metal strapped to your body holding you down. If whoever's out there decides to get violent, you might not be able to take them. [u]C)[/u] [b]Yell for help[/b]. You're not entirely sure if you can make it through the tunnel, and if you can see whoever's on the other side first, you can be prepared. [size=4][b]votes will be tallied up on [u]2/16/23, 16:30 flight rising time[/u]. a new post will be made at approximately 17:00 of the same day.[/b][/size]
Slowly, you awaken. Your eyelids are sticky and your limbs deeply exhausted, like you've woken up from a very long sleep.

The first thing you notice is the dull cold, seeping in through your thick fur and leathery wings. The second thing you notice is the dark. There's a faint red glow emanating through the room, reflecting off of the dark ice walls and pulsing in time with your breath.

The room is more of a cave, really. The floor slowly curves up at the edges into an offset orb kind of shape, made jagged and sharp by the shards of ice poking out at various angles. The only entrance is a tunnel a few feet from you, small in size and length. There's a warm light coming from outside, as well as faint chatter—chatter that's quickly getting closer, you realize.

As you glance around the room with a more sharpened eye than when you first woke up, you notice the glow is coming from you. As you move closer to the wall, you can see your reflection more clearly. You're a sturdy, fur-covered dragon; crimson, shining patterns and skeletal markings cover your body; frostbitten chains and a few metal cuffs engraved with strange symbols drag you down with their weight.

scry?sdid=3213177&skin=0&apparel=25620,11670,11509&xt=dressing.png

An exclamation from outside reminds you of the growing noise. You've got to make a decision, and fast.

A) Go through the tunnel. It's a bit small, but maybe whoever's outside can help you. Either by getting these things off or even just telling you where you are. And if they do try to attack you, at least you have the element of surprise.

B) Hide. You don't know what's out there, you've just barely woken up, and you have a bunch of metal strapped to your body holding you down. If whoever's out there decides to get violent, you might not be able to take them.

C) Yell for help. You're not entirely sure if you can make it through the tunnel, and if you can see whoever's on the other side first, you can be prepared.

votes will be tallied up on 2/16/23, 16:30 flight rising time. a new post will be made at approximately 17:00 of the same day.
and carry on their name

mX6TeTF.png

aaand we're up! let the games begin!!! be sure to read the first post and faq before posting !!!

current story post (voting ends at 2/18/23, 16:30 FR time)
aaand we're up! let the games begin!!! be sure to read the first post and faq before posting !!!

current story post (voting ends at 2/18/23, 16:30 FR time)
and carry on their name

mX6TeTF.png

i vote for C ^-^
i vote for C ^-^
shes_so_small.gif ssssssssssssssssssssss
shiloh/piper
any prns
:-)
sssssssssssssssssssssssss shes_so_small.gif
OOOOOOOOOOOH WOOOW THIS IS SO FANTASTIC I LOVE IT OMG YOU ARE A LOVELY WRITER AND THIS IS SOOO GOOOOD I VOTE A

(Thanks for doing this! And happy valentines <333)
OOOOOOOOOOOH WOOOW THIS IS SO FANTASTIC I LOVE IT OMG YOU ARE A LOVELY WRITER AND THIS IS SOOO GOOOOD I VOTE A

(Thanks for doing this! And happy valentines <333)
fjFZWJt.png
qWAlLLU.png
KMlmzQi.png
omKpPgG.png
VOowzno.png
_
You have a
beautiful
smile

_ CTuU1r6.pnglAR8cRt.pngA3L5B4e.pngDgEWpcs.png
8Guy5ew.png
_ Fingerguns.gif
I'll go with B.
I thought this was a rp-op
I'll go with B.
I thought this was a rp-op
SXfgiww.png wLurwzJ.pngQUIpVFE.png
bIcdn3S.pngt7CcZoC.png
mlHpBMC.png
kHBaXec.png
YMPbu9R.png
Vote for A! I took some time thinking on this one but, hey let’s be a little optimistic, and I like the idea of a surprise attack if not everything goes to plan >:3

Also first question! After a discussion on this thread, or any other reason someone changes their mind after making a choice, can they change it? Obviously before the decision has been made though.
Vote for A! I took some time thinking on this one but, hey let’s be a little optimistic, and I like the idea of a surprise attack if not everything goes to plan >:3

Also first question! After a discussion on this thread, or any other reason someone changes their mind after making a choice, can they change it? Obviously before the decision has been made though.
Magpie
Zoyki
I’m a hoarder (shiny things appreciated)

>>Art Dump
>>Wishlist
____________Stoic_Wc.png
Personally voting for B, because it's what I would do. If I were weighed down by chains and ice, I'd want to avoid possible combat. Sure, these newcomers could be helpful, but we can't be sure.
Personally voting for B, because it's what I would do. If I were weighed down by chains and ice, I'd want to avoid possible combat. Sure, these newcomers could be helpful, but we can't be sure.
+1 FR timeplaguebringer.png8ZwIo.gifC93qP.gifvjhnv.gifQzuMc.gif
1 2 3