Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [LORE] Reef Water Radio
1 2
[columns][color=darkslategrey][font=garamond][size=5]-and we are a go! Hello, hello, loyal listeners. This is Shabina the Starlet, and we are coming to you live from the Thousand Currents, our home away from home, our crashing waves, our sweet seafaring love. We love it, don’t we? From the deepest fathoms of Leviathan Trench to the grandest view from Flotsam Town, there’s always something going on- and we here at Reef Water Radio want to get you in the know.[nextcol][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/77486202][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/774863/77486202p.png[/img][/url][/columns][/color][/size][/font] [color=darkslategrey][font=garamond][size=4]Stay tuned, because we’ve got quite a show prepared for you tonight. Tales of deceit, terror, and intrigue await you. Who knows, maybe your submission made it through tonight. Keep listening and you’ll find out. For now, though, we’ve got some tunes to keep you occupied. This is “Rollin’ with the Blows” by Raws the Spiral…[/color][/size][/font] [rule] [rule] [center][font=times new roman][size=7][color=indigo][b][u]Reef Water Radio[/b][/u][/color][/size][/font][/center] [color=404040][font=garamond][size=4]Reef Water Radio is a creative collective, a captivating company, a calamitous congregation! But most everyone is alright if you call it a clan, as well. The home base of Reef Water Radio is located in a small hovel between the Churnscar Wharf of the Thousand Currents and the Highland Scrub of the Shifting Expanse. There, they’ve made their quarters aboard the crashed party boat of escaped royal Shabina the Starlet, the main host of the Radio. Although they’re beloved by their followers, Reef Water Radio has its enemies; Lightning clans seeking to reclaim their stolen equipment, Light clans who want to put a stop to Shabina’s emancipation, and many other dragons who hold a grudge against some of the Radio’s contributers. To keep safe from those after them, Reef Water Radio occasionally goes on tours around the Thousand Currents, stopping in on various ports and clans before eventually hitting the open sea once more. The Radio’s contributers follow the way of the Water: keep calm and carry on. They’re a friendly bunch, even if some of them have their… tendencies. [/color][/size][/font] [rule] [rule] [color=purple][font=garamond][size=4]Hello! This is OOC purblepossum talking. Welcome to my lore thread! This’ll be a place for me to collect stories and characters for Reef Water Radio, my new clan. I’ll be writing a mix of worldbuilding, standalone stories, and series, both relating to and divorced from the clan. [b]Feel free to comment![/b] I love hearing people say things about my writing, so I absolutely want to hear from you if you like it! Or if you don’t. I just like attention! I’ll also likely be setting up a friends/enemies list, so if you want to be added to that, PM me! And now, onto tonight’s show…[/color][/size][/font] [columns][color=transparent] ____________________[/color] [center][size=5][font=timesnewroman][color=indigo][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3157262#post_51876519][b]Characters[/b][/url][/color][/size][/font] [item=Sopping Tidelord Sackdoll][/center][nextcol][color=transparent] ____________________[/color] [center][size=5][font=timesnewroman][color=indigo][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3157262#post_51876520]The Party Ship[/url][/b][/color][/size][/font] [item=Current Catch][/center][nextcol][color=transparent] ____________________[/color] [center][size=5][font=timesnewroman][color=indigo][url=3157262][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3157262#post_51876524]Clan Relations[/url][/b][/url][/color][/size][/font] [item=Historical Text][/center][nextcol] [color=transparent] ____________________[/color] [center][size=5][font=timesnewroman][color=indigo][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3157262#post_51876671]Reef Water Tales[/url][/b][/color][/size][/font] [item=Water's Charm][/center][/columns]
-and we are a go!

Hello, hello, loyal listeners. This is Shabina the Starlet, and we are coming to you live from the Thousand Currents, our home away from home, our crashing waves, our sweet seafaring love. We love it, don’t we? From the deepest fathoms of Leviathan Trench to the grandest view from Flotsam Town, there’s always something going on- and we here at Reef Water Radio want to get you in the know.
77486202p.png

Stay tuned, because we’ve got quite a show prepared for you tonight. Tales of deceit, terror, and intrigue await you. Who knows, maybe your submission made it through tonight. Keep listening and you’ll find out. For now, though, we’ve got some tunes to keep you occupied. This is “Rollin’ with the Blows” by Raws the Spiral…

Reef Water Radio

Reef Water Radio is a creative collective, a captivating company, a calamitous congregation! But most everyone is alright if you call it a clan, as well.

The home base of Reef Water Radio is located in a small hovel between the Churnscar Wharf of the Thousand Currents and the Highland Scrub of the Shifting Expanse. There, they’ve made their quarters aboard the crashed party boat of escaped royal Shabina the Starlet, the main host of the Radio.

Although they’re beloved by their followers, Reef Water Radio has its enemies; Lightning clans seeking to reclaim their stolen equipment, Light clans who want to put a stop to Shabina’s emancipation, and many other dragons who hold a grudge against some of the Radio’s contributers.

To keep safe from those after them, Reef Water Radio occasionally goes on tours around the Thousand Currents, stopping in on various ports and clans before eventually hitting the open sea once more.

The Radio’s contributers follow the way of the Water: keep calm and carry on. They’re a friendly bunch, even if some of them have their… tendencies.

Hello! This is OOC purblepossum talking. Welcome to my lore thread!

This’ll be a place for me to collect stories and characters for Reef Water Radio, my new clan. I’ll be writing a mix of worldbuilding, standalone stories, and series, both relating to and divorced from the clan.

Feel free to comment! I love hearing people say things about my writing, so I absolutely want to hear from you if you like it! Or if you don’t. I just like attention!

I’ll also likely be setting up a friends/enemies list, so if you want to be added to that, PM me!

And now, onto tonight’s show…

>> Reef Water Radio

>> FAQ
This is such a cool concept !! I love the lil intro snippet !!
Looking forward to what exciting shows are to come :^)
This is such a cool concept !! I love the lil intro snippet !!
Looking forward to what exciting shows are to come :^)
tumblr_inline_oau8naC1bp1soemy4_100.png
KIP / ALEC
› he/him
› 24yo
› L[G]B[T]I+

› FR +9
VglvtcR.png
LORE CLAN
hello_ The Marrow Run Council
hello_ The Glorious Kismet pirate crew
hello_ The Roamers Clique

Art shop ; discord: gakipper
tumblr_inline_oau8naP9SE1soemy4_100.png
Oooo I absolutely love this concept and the way you write that lil snippet of lore. I can already imagine my tavern playing that over the radio for our patrons to enjoy themselves if the jesters and hosts aren't around to entertain them. I'll be following this thread! Can't wait to hear more various shows, stories, and "news" from the Reef Water Radio station, hehe [emoji=subscription update size=1]
Oooo I absolutely love this concept and the way you write that lil snippet of lore. I can already imagine my tavern playing that over the radio for our patrons to enjoy themselves if the jesters and hosts aren't around to entertain them.

I'll be following this thread! Can't wait to hear more various shows, stories, and "news" from the Reef Water Radio station, hehe
vn2qGj4.pngnecbzO5.pngOjZUb6h.pngBPrn1qO.pngzXPUC5G.pngz6QqwoI.png0V6r9zM.pngRhiPGkQ.pnguzVzjjZ.pnguJuXpVk.pnglAR8cRt.png
mz77kVn.png
[center][font=timesnewroman][size=6][color=indigo][b][u]Reef Water Radio[/b][/u][/color][/size][/font][/center] [columns][center][color=transparent]________________________________________[/color][font=timesnewroman][size=5][u] Shabina the Starlet [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/77486202][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/774863/77486202.png[/img][/url][/center] [nextcol][center][color=transparent]________________________________________[/color][font=timesnewroman][size=5][u] Souta the Electrician [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/77486203][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/774863/77486203.png[/img][/url][/center] [/columns]
Reef Water Radio
Souta the Electrician
77486203.png
D85VtAy.png _____ >> Tumblr | Ao3

>> Reef Water Radio

>> FAQ
[center][url=https://lepidracoptera.tumblr.com/post/140928730083/i-made-a-buttload-of-coli-image-bannersdividers][img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/34029e4c17953ed97012840b51597c9a/tumblr_o3y21mL18h1uo92ito7_640.png[/img][/url][/center] [columns][center][font=timesnewroman][size=7][color=indigo][b][u]The Party Boat[/b][/u][/color][/size][/font][/center][color=transparent] ______________________________________________________________[/color] [color=darkslategrey][font=garamond][size=5]A decadently appointed party yacht jammed into a cave just below the Highland Scrub by Shabina the Starlet during her drunken retreat into the wilds of Sorineth. The beautiful halls have been overturned, littered with trash no one has bothered to clean up. The electricity running through the place only reaches so far, as some rooms are lit only by candles and torches. The yacht is also well protected, as its location proves elusive to those attempting to track those living there in a logical manner- remember, a drunken dragon was manning the ship. Host to the draconic cast and crew of Reef Water Radio, as well as the typical broadcasting site of their show. After Shabina fleed from her cruel family, she journeyed upwards and happened upon Souta, her childhood friend who had runaway from home years before. He had come upon bad luck, apparently, as he had stolen electrical and broadcast equipment from a Lightning clan that was now hunting him down. In their shared desire to hide away, they both stayed in the cave for some time. They soon realized that the ship, although not in the greatest state of repair, could make a serviceable home with a bit of work. They got to work, and soon enough the place was good as new- or, as good as it would ever be. The entrance to the boat can be found all the way at the bottom, in a dragon-sized hole bored in by a pointy rock. Crawling inside, there’s another hole just above- though this one looks more intentionally made. The hall sprawls out in both directions on the first floor, most of which are lived in by other dragons. Each room is filled with baubles, knickknacks, and other things that belong in the dragon’s personal hoard. No one room is the same- except in their united unwillingness to stay clean. Things simply fall to the floor once the room is left. The dragons have attempted to figure out if the floor is askew, but the results have been inconclusive. The next floor up is much smaller, and only really noteworthy for the fact that it’s the location of the boat’s electrical equipment, as well as the recording studio. The studio is padded with noise-proof foam, though it luckily doesn’t stifle the sounds of the rolling sea outside. Souta practically makes his home here- there’s even a pile of hay for him to sleep on after a late night of equipment checks. Storage rooms are dotted around, but the rest of the area is pretty much just piping and nautical equipment made irrelevant by the boat’s beached state. The deck of the ship is the main social area for the dragons. From the pool table to the bar, the many amenities contained up there make it a rather entertaining place to be. Of course, the billiard balls are so scratched up that they had to be repainted, and the bar’s shelves are still sticky from all the bottles that broke when the ship crashed, but the dragons living here simply make do. Also on the deck is a large pool, a DJ booth, and a lounge space. Occasionally, to throw the scent off of their pursuers, some of the cast and crew of Reef Water Radio will go on tours around the Sea of a Thousand Currents. Taking a boat (a different boat than the crashed one) out to sea, they make a round trip, taking stops at each of the realms of Sorineth. While out, the cast and crew do weekly shows interluded by time spent exploring their current destination. This can go on for months at a time, and although those who stay at home might miss those at sea, everyone understands that this is necessary. If one of them gets caught, all of them are caught. There’s a certain allure to the Party Boat, despite, and maybe even because, of its disrepair.[/color][/font][/size] [nextcol][url=https://imgur.com/AD1EPgj][img]http://i.imgur.com/AD1EPgj.png[/img][/url] [url=https://imgur.com/doF0vp4][img]http://i.imgur.com/doF0vp4.png[/img][/url] [url=https://imgur.com/XiYa7nY][img]http://i.imgur.com/XiYa7nY.png[/img][/url] [/columns]
tumblr_o3y21mL18h1uo92ito7_640.png
The Party Boat

A decadently appointed party yacht jammed into a cave just below the Highland Scrub by Shabina the Starlet during her drunken retreat into the wilds of Sorineth. The beautiful halls have been overturned, littered with trash no one has bothered to clean up. The electricity running through the place only reaches so far, as some rooms are lit only by candles and torches. The yacht is also well protected, as its location proves elusive to those attempting to track those living there in a logical manner- remember, a drunken dragon was manning the ship. Host to the draconic cast and crew of Reef Water Radio, as well as the typical broadcasting site of their show.

After Shabina fleed from her cruel family, she journeyed upwards and happened upon Souta, her childhood friend who had runaway from home years before. He had come upon bad luck, apparently, as he had stolen electrical and broadcast equipment from a Lightning clan that was now hunting him down. In their shared desire to hide away, they both stayed in the cave for some time. They soon realized that the ship, although not in the greatest state of repair, could make a serviceable home with a bit of work. They got to work, and soon enough the place was good as new- or, as good as it would ever be.

The entrance to the boat can be found all the way at the bottom, in a dragon-sized hole bored in by a pointy rock. Crawling inside, there’s another hole just above- though this one looks more intentionally made.

The hall sprawls out in both directions on the first floor, most of which are lived in by other dragons. Each room is filled with baubles, knickknacks, and other things that belong in the dragon’s personal hoard. No one room is the same- except in their united unwillingness to stay clean. Things simply fall to the floor once the room is left. The dragons have attempted to figure out if the floor is askew, but the results have been inconclusive.

The next floor up is much smaller, and only really noteworthy for the fact that it’s the location of the boat’s electrical equipment, as well as the recording studio. The studio is padded with noise-proof foam, though it luckily doesn’t stifle the sounds of the rolling sea outside. Souta practically makes his home here- there’s even a pile of hay for him to sleep on after a late night of equipment checks. Storage rooms are dotted around, but the rest of the area is pretty much just piping and nautical equipment made irrelevant by the boat’s beached state.

The deck of the ship is the main social area for the dragons. From the pool table to the bar, the many amenities contained up there make it a rather entertaining place to be. Of course, the billiard balls are so scratched up that they had to be repainted, and the bar’s shelves are still sticky from all the bottles that broke when the ship crashed, but the dragons living here simply make do. Also on the deck is a large pool, a DJ booth, and a lounge space.

Occasionally, to throw the scent off of their pursuers, some of the cast and crew of Reef Water Radio will go on tours around the Sea of a Thousand Currents. Taking a boat (a different boat than the crashed one) out to sea, they make a round trip, taking stops at each of the realms of Sorineth. While out, the cast and crew do weekly shows interluded by time spent exploring their current destination. This can go on for months at a time, and although those who stay at home might miss those at sea, everyone understands that this is necessary. If one of them gets caught, all of them are caught.

There’s a certain allure to the Party Boat, despite, and maybe even because, of its disrepair.
AD1EPgj.png
doF0vp4.png
XiYa7nY.png

>> Reef Water Radio

>> FAQ
Clan Relations

(if you're interested in joining this list, feel free to leave a message in this thread!)
Clan Relations

(if you're interested in joining this list, feel free to leave a message in this thread!)

>> Reef Water Radio

>> FAQ
Reef Water Tales

home, meet for the first time
in years.
xxx
Reef Water Tales

home, meet for the first time
in years.
xxx

>> Reef Water Radio

>> FAQ
I love the concept but I am having a difficult time reading because of the font size. Could you increase the size of the font for people who can't see well?
I love the concept but I am having a difficult time reading because of the font size. Could you increase the size of the font for people who can't see well?
lJOfj9Z.pngo373-d01-himboatheart.pngo373-d05-himboatheart.pngo373-d02-himboatheart.pngo373-d04-himboatheart.pngo373-d03-himboatheart.png
@himboatheart

Font size changed!
@himboatheart

Font size changed!

>> Reef Water Radio

>> FAQ
[columns][font=garamond][size=5]Hello, hello. That was “Miracle Daughter” by Indiana the Maren. Now, if you’re tuning in for the first time, you only know me as the most beautiful voice this side of the shade. And I’m alright being just that… to an extent. Taking a look at the listening charts, there’s certainly a lot more first timers than usual. And so, I figured it might be best to do a little bit of a repeat story from the early years. Those who remember it, use this time to get a little bit of shut eye. This is…[nextcol][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/77486202][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/774863/77486202p.png[/img][/url] [/columns] [rule] [columns][font=copperplate][size=6][color=indigo][b]As Fate Would Have It[/b][/color][/size][/font] [font=timesnewroman][size=4][color=#indigo][i]Featuring Shabina the Starlet and Souta the Electrician[/i][nextcol][color=transparent]ITEMTIEMTIEMITEM[/color][/columns] [rule] [font=times new roman][size=4][color=#indigo][i]CW: Allusions to parental abuse[/i][/font][/size][/color] [rule] [color=404040][font=garamond][size=4]What a funny coincidence, Shabina thought. It was the only thing she really could think about the situation. Here she was, miles from home, nursing the worst hangover of her life, and the only thing she could do was laugh like there was no tomorrow about how cosmically hilarious the whole situation was. Last night, she had hawked off her family’s stuff at the local pawn shop, downed a few mugs of ale, and booked it out of Lanternlea Port. Apparently, between leaving home and now, she had managed to crash the ship directly into a cave, wounding herself in the process. With wound across her leg, she hobbled out into the open- where she happened upon Souta the Skydancer, her childhood friend. For his part, Souta certainly had changed. When he had up and disappeared from her life, Shabina assumed the worst. But he had done alright for himself in the intervening years. As it turns out, he wasn’t kidnapped- he just declared himself independent and… left. A lot to unpack there, both for him and her, but what matters is that he made himself a decent living, taking on odd jobs across the Shifting Expanse. Of course, everyone slips up at some point- and his mistake was deciding to lift a little bit of product off of the wrong clan. He’d done it before, but this clan had a vicious oversight on their production lines. Someone saw him do it, and it wasn’t a minute before two hulking Ridgebacks showed up. Now in trouble, he made his way into the plains with a bunch of stolen electrical equipment. Cresting over the cliff, Souta rushed down to the beaches to find somewhere to hide- where he happened upon a dazed Shabina taking baby steps across the sand. Shabina and Souta were now sat just below the crashed ship, in a corner of the huge cave. The Skydancer sat nervously against the wall, giving Shabina an astounded look as she cackled endlessly onwards. For a moment, he considered testing his luck with his pursuers instead. As Shabina looked at him, however, she ignored his apprehension, instead taking in his older form. He was bigger now, much bigger than when they were kids. Still, he was small compared to her Obelisk bulk. In their younger years, Souta’s fur and feathers were still silver, with shiny patches of green that looked more sickly than anything. Now, he’d grown into the coloration, with shades of blue adding additional bursts of color to him. His outfit was practical, made up of a protective vest and trousers scuffed with charcoal marks. Around his neck was a white scarf, much cleaner than the rest of his clothes. Leaned up against him, he had a gigantic wrench that thrummed with electricity. Shabina, in turn, felt much sillier. She had on a frilly blue dress she’d bought with her pawn shop money. Though honestly, the dress was more tatters than anything else. Her wings were still wet from her impromptu dye job, and her brown fur was matted. Her left leg throbbed with pain that refused to let up. “So. You finished laughing?” Souta asked. Realizing the time for an actual conversation was now, she adjusted her posture to fit Souta’s rigid form. As she did so, she hissed with pain as the wound on her leg throbbed once more. At this, Souta’s gaze softened. “Are you wounded?” At his prying, Shabina rolled her eyes, then pulled her leg out from under her dress. Souta’s eyes went wide. “Don’t you dare look at it like that. You’re getting me all scared.” “You should be. Thank the Gods I have some antiseptic with me-“ Souta rooted around in his pack before pulling out a small, Skydancer-sized bottle of antiseptic. “Oh, yes, thank the Gods.” Shabina said, eyes narrowed at him. Souta thought of offering up a witty retort, but thought better of it. She was clearly annoyed, and anything he said in his defense would make her angrier. Souta looked up at the Scrub’s cliff edge. “Give me an hour or so, I’ll cook something up for you. The Ridgebacks should have cleared out by now.” Shabina shifted to her feet. “Dude, you going foraging? I’m coming with. I want to find some berries or something.” “No berries out here for miles. Plus, you’re injured, so-” “So what? Us Obelisks are made of stronger stuff. See, I can even do a stupid little dance.” Shabina stuck her left and right legs out to a rhythm only she could hear. Souta snorted. “If you stop doing that dance, you can come.” Souta flew off to the ledge. He was a better flier than when they were younger. Shabina rolled her eyes and flew off after him. [Rule] [color=404040][font=garamond][size=4]Souta’s flight stopped just before the ledge. He surveyed the horizon, eyes peeled for any dragons with bright blue eyes. Shabina flew up above him, landing with a hard thump against the wastes, throwing sand into Souta’s eyes. He recoiled, cursing Shabina before rubbing his irritated eyes. He landed unceremoniously on the ledge, right next to Shabina’s laughter. “You’re laughing. I’ve got sand in my eyes and you’re laughing.” Souta cried out. “Damn right I am. I have a lot of years of your antics to make up for.” Shabina said. At this, the Skydancer had no response. He simply stared down at the ground. The atmosphere changed to one of anxious energy. Shabina chuckled, a trained attempt to diffuse the situation. His eyes were still trained at the grains of sand. “Sorry.” She sighed. Souta’s eyes went wide, then became apologetic. “No, no. There’s no… rulebook on this whole thing.” “Yeah, guess not.” Shabina looked at him for a moment, then relented. “Want to go drink some cactus juice? I’m feeling mighty thirsty-“ “Remember that park a little ways down the street from the pool?” Souta said, his voice quiet. Shabina’s lips parted just slightly. Souta curled up into a comfortable position on the ground, and Shabina sat down in turn. “We had gone there a few days before… before I left. It was the last time we saw each other. “I’d been the one to ask us to go a week before. It was your favorite place because it had those tunnels you could fit into, and there was that candy shop nearby that sold peppermint chews. We could spend hours in that park, playing knights and mages or whatever we were obsessed with that month. It was a safe space for you, for the both of us. “I was going to tell you about my plan, that day. My dad… I couldn’t live with him any longer. He was a schoolyard bully in the body of a full grown dragon. I hated him, but I also couldn’t stand to lose control of my life if I were adopted by a clan. So, the only course of action I saw was to run. Before I got to the park, though, I realized I didn’t have it in me to say it upfront. And so, I wrote you a letter.” Souta quickly reached into his pack and pulled out a white envelope. He took it out like it was something he looked at every week. Shabina reached out with her paw, but Souta held it close to his furry chest. “Oh. Guess it would be a bit too much to ask you to give it to me after all these years?” Shabina said, an empathetic look on her face. “Yeah…” Souta said. Was that… was that a blush dusting his cheeks? The two sat in silence, only broken by Shabina after a few minutes. “Look, I get it. I’m a little annoyed, sure, but I’m sure that letter was a lot for you to write. Take your time, and if you ever want me to read it, I’ll be right by your side.” He nodded, dodging eye contact with her. “I’ll give it to you someday. Just not now. Feelings too raw.” Souta stood to his feet, heading off towards the nearest nest of cacti. Shabina galloped after him, but slowed down as her leg throbbed with pain. “Now… and feel free to stop me if this is taboo, but…” A smile grew across Shabina’s face. “Are we going to talk about the fact that we switched genders?” Souta cackled. It wasn’t the laugh she was used to, sure, but it was certainly a welcome change. “I wasn’t going to say anything, but it really is hilarious that we did. The second I saw you in that dumb dress, I knew something was up. Reason I asked for your name.” Souta laughed. “Hey, the dress might be dumb, but I certainly rocked it when it wasn’t ripped!” Shabina stuttered, a blush forming across her brown cheeks. “When did you find out?” “A few months after I ran away. You?” “…A week ago.” Souta laughed once more. Shabina’s blush grew just a little bit more.[/color][/size][/font]
Hello, hello. That was “Miracle Daughter” by Indiana the Maren. Now, if you’re tuning in for the first time, you only know me as the most beautiful voice this side of the shade. And I’m alright being just that… to an extent. Taking a look at the listening charts, there’s certainly a lot more first timers than usual. And so, I figured it might be best to do a little bit of a repeat story from the early years. Those who remember it, use this time to get a little bit of shut eye. This is… 77486202p.png

As Fate Would Have It

Featuring Shabina the Starlet and Souta the Electrician
ITEMTIEMTIEMITEM

CW: Allusions to parental abuse

What a funny coincidence, Shabina thought. It was the only thing she really could think about the situation.

Here she was, miles from home, nursing the worst hangover of her life, and the only thing she could do was laugh like there was no tomorrow about how cosmically hilarious the whole situation was.

Last night, she had hawked off her family’s stuff at the local pawn shop, downed a few mugs of ale, and booked it out of Lanternlea Port. Apparently, between leaving home and now, she had managed to crash the ship directly into a cave, wounding herself in the process. With wound across her leg, she hobbled out into the open- where she happened upon Souta the Skydancer, her childhood friend.

For his part, Souta certainly had changed. When he had up and disappeared from her life, Shabina assumed the worst. But he had done alright for himself in the intervening years. As it turns out, he wasn’t kidnapped- he just declared himself independent and… left. A lot to unpack there, both for him and her, but what matters is that he made himself a decent living, taking on odd jobs across the Shifting Expanse. Of course, everyone slips up at some point- and his mistake was deciding to lift a little bit of product off of the wrong clan. He’d done it before, but this clan had a vicious oversight on their production lines. Someone saw him do it, and it wasn’t a minute before two hulking Ridgebacks showed up.

Now in trouble, he made his way into the plains with a bunch of stolen electrical equipment. Cresting over the cliff, Souta rushed down to the beaches to find somewhere to hide- where he happened upon a dazed Shabina taking baby steps across the sand.

Shabina and Souta were now sat just below the crashed ship, in a corner of the huge cave. The Skydancer sat nervously against the wall, giving Shabina an astounded look as she cackled endlessly onwards. For a moment, he considered testing his luck with his pursuers instead. As Shabina looked at him, however, she ignored his apprehension, instead taking in his older form.

He was bigger now, much bigger than when they were kids. Still, he was small compared to her Obelisk bulk. In their younger years, Souta’s fur and feathers were still silver, with shiny patches of green that looked more sickly than anything. Now, he’d grown into the coloration, with shades of blue adding additional bursts of color to him. His outfit was practical, made up of a protective vest and trousers scuffed with charcoal marks. Around his neck was a white scarf, much cleaner than the rest of his clothes. Leaned up against him, he had a gigantic wrench that thrummed with electricity.

Shabina, in turn, felt much sillier. She had on a frilly blue dress she’d bought with her pawn shop money. Though honestly, the dress was more tatters than anything else. Her wings were still wet from her impromptu dye job, and her brown fur was matted. Her left leg throbbed with pain that refused to let up.

“So. You finished laughing?” Souta asked.

Realizing the time for an actual conversation was now, she adjusted her posture to fit Souta’s rigid form. As she did so, she hissed with pain as the wound on her leg throbbed once more. At this, Souta’s gaze softened.

“Are you wounded?” At his prying, Shabina rolled her eyes, then pulled her leg out from under her dress. Souta’s eyes went wide.

“Don’t you dare look at it like that. You’re getting me all scared.”

“You should be. Thank the Gods I have some antiseptic with me-“ Souta rooted around in his pack before pulling out a small, Skydancer-sized bottle of antiseptic.

“Oh, yes, thank the Gods.” Shabina said, eyes narrowed at him.

Souta thought of offering up a witty retort, but thought better of it. She was clearly annoyed, and anything he said in his defense would make her angrier. Souta looked up at the Scrub’s cliff edge.

“Give me an hour or so, I’ll cook something up for you. The Ridgebacks should have cleared out by now.”

Shabina shifted to her feet. “Dude, you going foraging? I’m coming with. I want to find some berries or something.”

“No berries out here for miles. Plus, you’re injured, so-”

“So what? Us Obelisks are made of stronger stuff. See, I can even do a stupid little dance.” Shabina stuck her left and right legs out to a rhythm only she could hear. Souta snorted.

“If you stop doing that dance, you can come.” Souta flew off to the ledge. He was a better flier than when they were younger. Shabina rolled her eyes and flew off after him.

Souta’s flight stopped just before the ledge. He surveyed the horizon, eyes peeled for any dragons with bright blue eyes. Shabina flew up above him, landing with a hard thump against the wastes, throwing sand into Souta’s eyes. He recoiled, cursing Shabina before rubbing his irritated eyes. He landed unceremoniously on the ledge, right next to Shabina’s laughter.

“You’re laughing. I’ve got sand in my eyes and you’re laughing.” Souta cried out.

“Damn right I am. I have a lot of years of your antics to make up for.” Shabina said. At this, the Skydancer had no response. He simply stared down at the ground. The atmosphere changed to one of anxious energy. Shabina chuckled, a trained attempt to diffuse the situation. His eyes were still trained at the grains of sand.

“Sorry.” She sighed. Souta’s eyes went wide, then became apologetic.

“No, no. There’s no… rulebook on this whole thing.”

“Yeah, guess not.” Shabina looked at him for a moment, then relented. “Want to go drink some cactus juice? I’m feeling mighty thirsty-“

“Remember that park a little ways down the street from the pool?” Souta said, his voice quiet. Shabina’s lips parted just slightly. Souta curled up into a comfortable position on the ground, and Shabina sat down in turn. “We had gone there a few days before… before I left. It was the last time we saw each other.

“I’d been the one to ask us to go a week before. It was your favorite place because it had those tunnels you could fit into, and there was that candy shop nearby that sold peppermint chews. We could spend hours in that park, playing knights and mages or whatever we were obsessed with that month. It was a safe space for you, for the both of us.

“I was going to tell you about my plan, that day. My dad… I couldn’t live with him any longer. He was a schoolyard bully in the body of a full grown dragon. I hated him, but I also couldn’t stand to lose control of my life if I were adopted by a clan. So, the only course of action I saw was to run. Before I got to the park, though, I realized I didn’t have it in me to say it upfront. And so, I wrote you a letter.”

Souta quickly reached into his pack and pulled out a white envelope. He took it out like it was something he looked at every week. Shabina reached out with her paw, but Souta held it close to his furry chest.

“Oh. Guess it would be a bit too much to ask you to give it to me after all these years?” Shabina said, an empathetic look on her face.

“Yeah…” Souta said. Was that… was that a blush dusting his cheeks? The two sat in silence, only broken by Shabina after a few minutes.

“Look, I get it. I’m a little annoyed, sure, but I’m sure that letter was a lot for you to write. Take your time, and if you ever want me to read it, I’ll be right by your side.”

He nodded, dodging eye contact with her. “I’ll give it to you someday. Just not now. Feelings too raw.” Souta stood to his feet, heading off towards the nearest nest of cacti. Shabina galloped after him, but slowed down as her leg throbbed with pain.

“Now… and feel free to stop me if this is taboo, but…” A smile grew across Shabina’s face. “Are we going to talk about the fact that we switched genders?”

Souta cackled. It wasn’t the laugh she was used to, sure, but it was certainly a welcome change.

“I wasn’t going to say anything, but it really is hilarious that we did. The second I saw you in that dumb dress, I knew something was up. Reason I asked for your name.” Souta laughed.

“Hey, the dress might be dumb, but I certainly rocked it when it wasn’t ripped!” Shabina stuttered, a blush forming across her brown cheeks. “When did you find out?”

“A few months after I ran away. You?”

“…A week ago.”

Souta laughed once more. Shabina’s blush grew just a little bit more.

>> Reef Water Radio

>> FAQ
1 2