Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | free art advice, from moi
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 36
Unsure about your art pricing? Want some art/art shop advice from someone who's commissioned a ton of it from Flight Rising over the years?

Look no further!

...Well, no. I mean, yes, but you'll need more opinions than just mine. Get some actual artist opinions, too. I'm not an expert, I'm not even a very good artist. Everything I say in this thread is just my own thoughts.

But! If you do want that advice! I have commissioned a lot of art from people on this site - for USD, items, and gems, with a range of payment plans involved - over the course of six years. I've also somehow managed to sell my art, for USD, gems, treasure, and items, both here and elsewhere. As my art's not that great (exhibit a), I'd like to think I did it just based on the strength of my elite marketing tactics.

So yes, feel free to ask me things. I can talk about topics from pricing and marketing, to shop layout and advertising aid. I can critique your art, too, but again, not a professional artist. I like to think of myself as a professional customer - I have a lot of experience commissioning and working with artists, and I'd say I know what makes me buy things.
Wanna give back to me? Consider leaving feedback on my art thread!
Unsure about your art pricing? Want some art/art shop advice from someone who's commissioned a ton of it from Flight Rising over the years?

Look no further!

...Well, no. I mean, yes, but you'll need more opinions than just mine. Get some actual artist opinions, too. I'm not an expert, I'm not even a very good artist. Everything I say in this thread is just my own thoughts.

But! If you do want that advice! I have commissioned a lot of art from people on this site - for USD, items, and gems, with a range of payment plans involved - over the course of six years. I've also somehow managed to sell my art, for USD, gems, treasure, and items, both here and elsewhere. As my art's not that great (exhibit a), I'd like to think I did it just based on the strength of my elite marketing tactics.

So yes, feel free to ask me things. I can talk about topics from pricing and marketing, to shop layout and advertising aid. I can critique your art, too, but again, not a professional artist. I like to think of myself as a professional customer - I have a lot of experience commissioning and working with artists, and I'd say I know what makes me buy things.
Wanna give back to me? Consider leaving feedback on my art thread!
Dear IKTR: Fandragons are in my den! Sometimes there's a few stragglers in my lair.
mancave_banner.png

MANGENTA.png
[center][u]Now With [i]A FAQ That Nobody Asked For, Let Alone Frequently![/i][/u][/center] (Now with art I commissioned from @/Cynderbark, which I'm nobody asked for either, but it looks gr8 okay. Very good commission, 10/10) [columns][color=transparent]_____________________________________________________[/color] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/407183926277308419/817366569456894002/unknown.png[/img] [center]Or at least, they're impressions.[/center] [nextcol] [size=5][b]First impressions are best impressions.[/b][/size] [size=4]The average person spends 15 seconds on a given page before they make up their minds whether to stay or click away, and you want them to stay. The first thing people see should be your art! Consider creating a unique banner for your shop, or just put your examples high up.[/size] [/columns] [columns] [color=transparent]_____________________________________________________[/color] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/407183926277308419/817366666261430322/unknown.png[/img] [center]Yes, there's such a thing as too many examples.[/center] [nextcol][size=5][b]Shop layout is important.[/b][/size] [size=4]Shop layout is very important, and the most important thing about a shop is the examples! Big example images and visible, easy to fill out forms can help me along the path of an impulse buy. Too many examples or otherwise cluttered threads might turn me away - it doesn't matter how good the art is, if I don't know how much it is or how to buy it! [/size] [/columns] [columns] [color=transparent]_____________________________________________________[/color] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/407183926277308419/817366738030166046/unknown.png[/img] [center]Spot the dragon![/center] [nextcol][size=5][b]Rules matter.[/b][/size] [size=4]Rules help commissioners to decide what they want, and they may feel more confident in commissioning you too (as they know they're not going to ask for anything that might offend you). Also, just from personal experience: Don't say you can draw any dragon with any amount of apparel, unless you want someone to post a large shuffling mound of clothes.[/size][/columns] [columns] [color=transparent]_____________________________________________________[/color] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/407183926277308419/817366787317956628/unknown.png[/img] [center]I'm lovin' it.[/center] [nextcol][size=5][b]Your art is worth more than a Big Mac.[/b][/size] [size=4]Underpricing is rampant on this site, we all know that. And I would like everyone to know the following: 500g = $5USD. A Big Mac with chips and a drink is $5.99 USD. (On a tangent - did you know that [url=https://www.reference.com/business-finance/many-big-macs-sold-daily-a9fc6463e6baa5c4]Maccas sells about 900 million Big Macs every day[/url]?) [/size] [/columns] [columns] [color=transparent]_____________________________________________________[/color] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/407183926277308419/817366865612505099/unknown.png[/img] [center]I told the artist to 'draw burnout' and I got this. It's perfect[/center] [nextcol][size=5][b]Cheap commissions are a red flag to me.[/b][/size] [size=4]Very low prices (like ten cents/10g a pic) often signal that 'something must be wrong with this art and I just can't see it', or 'this artist will burn out trying to take lots of cheap commissions at once and will never get round to me'. I'm more likely to buy your art if you have priced it 'reasonably'. [/size] [/columns] One last thing - [b]The gems: treasure rate is not 1:1000.[/b] It fluctuates, but at the moment it's at around 1g:1250t-1300t, depending on who you're trading with.
Now With A FAQ That Nobody Asked For, Let Alone Frequently!

(Now with art I commissioned from @/Cynderbark, which I'm nobody asked for either, but it looks gr8 okay. Very good commission, 10/10)

The average person spends 15 seconds on a given page before they make up their minds whether to stay or click away, and you want them to stay. The first thing people see should be your art! Consider creating a unique banner for your shop, or just put your examples high up.

Shop layout is very important, and the most important thing about a shop is the examples!

Big example images and visible, easy to fill out forms can help me along the path of an impulse buy. Too many examples or otherwise cluttered threads might turn me away - it doesn't matter how good the art is, if I don't know how much it is or how to buy it!

Rules help commissioners to decide what they want, and they may feel more confident in commissioning you too (as they know they're not going to ask for anything that might offend you).

Also, just from personal experience: Don't say you can draw any dragon with any amount of apparel, unless you want someone to post a large shuffling mound of clothes.

Underpricing is rampant on this site, we all know that. And I would like everyone to know the following: 500g = $5USD. A Big Mac with chips and a drink is $5.99 USD.

(On a tangent - did you know that Maccas sells about 900 million Big Macs every day?)

Very low prices (like ten cents/10g a pic) often signal that 'something must be wrong with this art and I just can't see it', or 'this artist will burn out trying to take lots of cheap commissions at once and will never get round to me'. I'm more likely to buy your art if you have priced it 'reasonably'.

One last thing - The gems: treasure rate is not 1:1000. It fluctuates, but at the moment it's at around 1g:1250t-1300t, depending on who you're trading with.

Dear IKTR: Fandragons are in my den! Sometimes there's a few stragglers in my lair.
mancave_banner.png

MANGENTA.png
And a reserve post, I guess. Here's a link to some things I have drawn, if you're wondering whether I can help you with your technique, but I'm not super good - more just offering an opinion as someone who buys things.
And a reserve post, I guess. Here's a link to some things I have drawn, if you're wondering whether I can help you with your technique, but I'm not super good - more just offering an opinion as someone who buys things.
mancave_banner.png

MANGENTA.png
!!!! I'll take you up on your opinions, I'm super-interested in hearing from an experienced buyer! I've been out of the art shop game for a long time, and I was debating taking it back up (because I need both practice and money, lol). I'd love to hear feedback and pricing opinions!

As a note, all my samples are from my phone camera, but if I had an actual shop going, I would 100% scan them nicely. I've been lazy, but I'd actually put in the effort to re-hook up my scanner if I were selling things. XDDD
Dragon Art samples:
One
Two
Three

Human/Gijinka samples:
One
Two
Three
!!!! I'll take you up on your opinions, I'm super-interested in hearing from an experienced buyer! I've been out of the art shop game for a long time, and I was debating taking it back up (because I need both practice and money, lol). I'd love to hear feedback and pricing opinions!

As a note, all my samples are from my phone camera, but if I had an actual shop going, I would 100% scan them nicely. I've been lazy, but I'd actually put in the effort to re-hook up my scanner if I were selling things. XDDD
Dragon Art samples:
One
Two
Three

Human/Gijinka samples:
One
Two
Three
@cgeez - Sure, let's talk traditional! When I think about art I like to buy, I find traditional art's got a bit of a unique advantage. I can get prints made of digital art I've commissioned and stick that on my wall, sure, but there's just something really cool about getting a thing made online, seeing the pictures, tracking the parcel, and then opening it up and seeing it- no photo or scan can quite compare to the real thing. I've ordered dozens of traditional art pieces over the years, and all but one piece made it safely to me. (Rest in pieces, that one thing.) Traditional commissions do make beautiful presents for friends, so I would say to perhaps consider offering mailing options if you can (even if it's only within your country). Commissioner pays the postage, of course - get familiar with your country's postage estimating calculator, and always make sure the letter can be tracked. Regarding your art, you obviously know what you're doing! I like how you can draw accurately, but not crowd the page with lines; there's a nice space in your work, and it lends well to the very basic colouring. There's a really cool realism to your dragon portraits in particular, which is often a bit tricky to pull off with Flight Rising dragons and all two of the views we get of them. I think overall, your art style could make for some very nice icons for bios and rp discords, with their strong lines and lots of space 'n' personality - perhaps you could work that angle into your shop, to tempt those not so interested in having something mailed to them. Overall, I think the minimalism works well for simple dragons, though I do think a lot of people commissioning dragons these days want complex piles of clothing (you might want to add a rule or extra payment for large shuffling heaps, if you know what I mean). Speaking of restrictions, I think it might be an idea for you to emphasize the minimalistic colouring in your shop - make it clear how many colours people can order, and which genes, if any [s](cough cough poitox cough cough)[/s] are disallowed because they would involve too many colours. A good art shop is all about the examples - you want to show your commissioner that you can do the thing the commissioner is hoping to ask of you, if that makes much sense. Obviously you know you need to scan your pictures in, but here's a few more things you might consider adding to your examples list- - You may like to take a fullbody or halfbody picture you have drawn, and crop it or add some boxes/lines in order to show people what they are getting in terms of fullbodies, halfbodies, busts, headshots, and whatever else you're offering. As a commissioner, sometimes I want a bust that has my dragon's wings, maybe because I gened the wings myself or something, and it can be confusing to see an artist show some busts that have the wings, and some busts that don't. - I noticed [url=https://imgur.com/fwgvXa3]pencil lines on this image[/url]. While I don't think you should leave that on your examples in a shop, you might like to consider offering non-mailable pencil sketches or pencil doodles as a cheaper option. (If you don't know about menu psychology - people tend to avoid the cheapest thing, because we've been taught there's something wrong with it. By creating a cheaper option than your regular options, you can tempt people towards the things you really want them to buy.) - Showing a pencil sketch example also gives people this idea that there's foundational work in those finished pieces that might not be able to see, but it's there. This adds work-time and therefore value to the finished art in their minds, which is good! - When you show your gijinka examples, show off or link to the dragon you just drew! It's your interpretation, after all. I personally love to see the source material; it gives more context to the art, and gets people thinking about their own dragons, what they might look like in your artstyle. - I really like the background with [url=https://imgur.com/QOertW8]Terrak [/url]- it gives him lots more contrast than the others. It would be good to see some more background examples - perhaps some that cover the whole page with no white space besides inside the dragon? Perhaps a more traditional watercolour wash? Up to you, but I think offering background examples could be a good idea. - You may want to make a banner image for the forums, but also a title card for your shop! I have a bit of a slow connection, so often the first image that loads in a thread is... the first one, and it's all I can look at for a bit. You want that picture to be something cool that shows off your strengths, not the pencil sketch doodle example or something. - You might like to offer an example of a dragon portrait without the name. Some people like having their dragon's name on a portrait, but the thing is, I have lots of beautiful dragons with... questionable names. Take this one, for instance. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/32958898][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/329589/32958898_350.png[/img][/url] Like, no, I don't want that name on a piece of artwork, tucked inside an envelope, that my nosy family just opened right in front of me. As far as pricing opinions go, I think it'd be dependent on a few factors: - Number of colours in the picture - Whether or not blending/shading work was done, as [url=https://imgur.com/p3M3TQo]here[/url] - Size of the paper - this is also important if you're mailing them, for obvious reasons - How long you spend working on these As a ballpark estimate, I would think somewhere around the $17 USD/1700g mark would be fair for an A5 bust with minimal colouring and no name or background - $17 specifically because it is a less scary number than $20, though I think you could easily run that too. You could charge a bit less for a headshot, but only a bit less - I wouldn't go lower than $12, unless you're drawing on a piece of paper the size of a playing card or something. These are just my opinions, tho! You've got fab art that I think people would be interested in; just make sure you set up a good shop, to give yourself the best chance of success.
@cgeez - Sure, let's talk traditional!

When I think about art I like to buy, I find traditional art's got a bit of a unique advantage. I can get prints made of digital art I've commissioned and stick that on my wall, sure, but there's just something really cool about getting a thing made online, seeing the pictures, tracking the parcel, and then opening it up and seeing it- no photo or scan can quite compare to the real thing.

I've ordered dozens of traditional art pieces over the years, and all but one piece made it safely to me. (Rest in pieces, that one thing.) Traditional commissions do make beautiful presents for friends, so I would say to perhaps consider offering mailing options if you can (even if it's only within your country). Commissioner pays the postage, of course - get familiar with your country's postage estimating calculator, and always make sure the letter can be tracked.

Regarding your art, you obviously know what you're doing! I like how you can draw accurately, but not crowd the page with lines; there's a nice space in your work, and it lends well to the very basic colouring. There's a really cool realism to your dragon portraits in particular, which is often a bit tricky to pull off with Flight Rising dragons and all two of the views we get of them. I think overall, your art style could make for some very nice icons for bios and rp discords, with their strong lines and lots of space 'n' personality - perhaps you could work that angle into your shop, to tempt those not so interested in having something mailed to them.

Overall, I think the minimalism works well for simple dragons, though I do think a lot of people commissioning dragons these days want complex piles of clothing (you might want to add a rule or extra payment for large shuffling heaps, if you know what I mean). Speaking of restrictions, I think it might be an idea for you to emphasize the minimalistic colouring in your shop - make it clear how many colours people can order, and which genes, if any (cough cough poitox cough cough) are disallowed because they would involve too many colours.

A good art shop is all about the examples - you want to show your commissioner that you can do the thing the commissioner is hoping to ask of you, if that makes much sense. Obviously you know you need to scan your pictures in, but here's a few more things you might consider adding to your examples list-

- You may like to take a fullbody or halfbody picture you have drawn, and crop it or add some boxes/lines in order to show people what they are getting in terms of fullbodies, halfbodies, busts, headshots, and whatever else you're offering. As a commissioner, sometimes I want a bust that has my dragon's wings, maybe because I gened the wings myself or something, and it can be confusing to see an artist show some busts that have the wings, and some busts that don't.

- I noticed pencil lines on this image. While I don't think you should leave that on your examples in a shop, you might like to consider offering non-mailable pencil sketches or pencil doodles as a cheaper option. (If you don't know about menu psychology - people tend to avoid the cheapest thing, because we've been taught there's something wrong with it. By creating a cheaper option than your regular options, you can tempt people towards the things you really want them to buy.)

- Showing a pencil sketch example also gives people this idea that there's foundational work in those finished pieces that might not be able to see, but it's there. This adds work-time and therefore value to the finished art in their minds, which is good!

- When you show your gijinka examples, show off or link to the dragon you just drew! It's your interpretation, after all. I personally love to see the source material; it gives more context to the art, and gets people thinking about their own dragons, what they might look like in your artstyle.

- I really like the background with Terrak - it gives him lots more contrast than the others. It would be good to see some more background examples - perhaps some that cover the whole page with no white space besides inside the dragon? Perhaps a more traditional watercolour wash? Up to you, but I think offering background examples could be a good idea.

- You may want to make a banner image for the forums, but also a title card for your shop! I have a bit of a slow connection, so often the first image that loads in a thread is... the first one, and it's all I can look at for a bit. You want that picture to be something cool that shows off your strengths, not the pencil sketch doodle example or something.

- You might like to offer an example of a dragon portrait without the name. Some people like having their dragon's name on a portrait, but the thing is, I have lots of beautiful dragons with... questionable names. Take this one, for instance.

32958898_350.png

Like, no, I don't want that name on a piece of artwork, tucked inside an envelope, that my nosy family just opened right in front of me.

As far as pricing opinions go, I think it'd be dependent on a few factors:

- Number of colours in the picture
- Whether or not blending/shading work was done, as here
- Size of the paper - this is also important if you're mailing them, for obvious reasons
- How long you spend working on these

As a ballpark estimate, I would think somewhere around the $17 USD/1700g mark would be fair for an A5 bust with minimal colouring and no name or background - $17 specifically because it is a less scary number than $20, though I think you could easily run that too. You could charge a bit less for a headshot, but only a bit less - I wouldn't go lower than $12, unless you're drawing on a piece of paper the size of a playing card or something.

These are just my opinions, tho! You've got fab art that I think people would be interested in; just make sure you set up a good shop, to give yourself the best chance of success.
mancave_banner.png

MANGENTA.png
I'd love some advice! This is my [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/2748546#post_2748546]art shop[/url] where you can find most examples of my art! But here are the most recent things I've drawn which are...kind of over simple doodle types thing ^^; [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/767496731603501106/799478544949575720/sketch1610680914718.png[/img] ^ My oc. Very simple, softer lazy shading I know ;u; [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/241813086233690112/810366637709459486/20210213_202715.png[/img] ^ A commission I just finished for a [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=492819]customer[/url] in my PWYW shop
I'd love some advice!

This is my art shop where you can find most examples of my art!

But here are the most recent things I've drawn which are...kind of over simple doodle types thing ^^;

sketch1610680914718.png
^ My oc. Very simple, softer lazy shading I know ;u;
20210213_202715.png
^ A commission I just finished for a customer in my PWYW shop
DSvyk5V.gif
JvUa9ma.png

fkWjutW.png

WKtl2lb.png

bYt72YT.png

blepastro-1.png
oie-v-C7-Pp-Yu-F6gz-H.png
@muto I'll try to give some response to the actual art, but I would like to give you some advice on your shop too! I feel like it's more my field. I'll start with some small things you may like to do to try to improve your shop! Firstly, well done on starting a shop thread - that's the first step. Here are some things that might help you attract the riff raff: [quote=Shop]- You might like to put a banner or just a piece of really nice art you like on the very first post. I'm on desktop, and I had to scroll to see your lovely art! Try to tempt your customers right away. - When I first saw your thread, I thought it was a USD-only shop! This is because your examples have USD prices next to them in very large text, which is much larger than the text you have saying you take gems, items and treasure. You might like to make it more obvious that you take onsite payment. - Personally, I would prefer to see large example images and small, FR-size text underneath them, rather than the text taking up as much space as the pictures. You want to let people see as many details of the art as possible, especially on mobile. - I think overall, you've got a big variety in your artstyle, and that's great! However, in terms of running a shop, you may find that showcasing one consistent style of drawing goes further. This is because commissioners like to be able to imagine what they might get from you - I know I do. - You may want to offer more specific colouring options, or be more specific about how you're colouring each tier. The PFP option has a very different way of colouring to the Fullbody option, for instance, and I can see that, but some commissioners may not realize until they've ordered. - Advertising another, cheaper shop inside of your own shop isn't a great idea - you don't want people to click away from your more expensive thread. ;) (Advertising your more expensive stuff inside of the cheaper thread is a good idea, though.) - Side note: that pwyw shop should not be starting at 45 cents/45g for fully coloured, full-body artwork. I get it's pwyw and it's meant to be cheap and people may tip you, but at that price, you are running the risk of lots of people ordering and exhausting you. Consider starting around 150g-200g as a base price for your pwyw shop - still very cheap, but you're less likely to get accidentally flooded. - Consider offering proper busts, and also reference sheet options! You draw clothes very well, which is definitely something people look out for when they're looking for a reference sheet of their human oc. [/quote] As far as your art goes, I think it's super cute, and I think your prices are very fair for what you're offering! I have a few things to say about the art, which may or may not be at all valid points, so just take it all with a jar of salt... [quote=Me Attempting To Give Art Advice (You Can Point And Laugh)]- Overall, like I said, I think you have an impressive range of styles you can draw! Your art is very colourful, deceptively simple, and kind of reminds me of early 2012 tumblr (in a good, nostalgic way). - One thing you need to look at is your shading, particularly on skin. I'm not a great artist, but I don't find vague, blurred streaks of shadow appealing - that's not how shadows work in anime-esque styles like this, they have edges. I definitely prefer the hard shading you use with your chibis to what you're currently using in your more expensive shop. - Personally, when I consider if I would commission a human artist, I always look at whether they are drawing a variety of genders, body types, age groups, and so on. I've got lots of swole dragons named things like MANLY MCBRO and WARRIORMALE in my lair - what if I want gijinkas of them? Some of my favourite fandom characters are older fellows - what if I want to get some art of them? So, I'd consider trying to get some more variety into your humans. - I'm a bit of a purist. Unless I'm buying digital art where it's supposed to be transparent for whatever reason, I often want a stupid gradient or just an interesting background! This even goes for when I was looking around for an artist to get my first ref sheet from - the [url=https://www.furaffinity.net/view/27313389/]simple gradient-galaxy backgrounds[/url] they were using played a role in me buying from them. It doesn't have to be complicated, but maybe consider making your backgrounds a little more interesting, to help showcase your art. - I like the example where you had the two characters interacting; perhaps more of your examples could feature that sort of thing, more dynamic poses? I can see you're capable of drawing them, so... Just Do It? Commissioners often like to have their OCs drawn doing something, not just standing around. - I like that you can draw a fairly wide variety of modern outfits; it's a particular strength of yours. Consider showcasing this by using more characters in your shop examples - never have the same outfit shown twice. - At the moment, if I had a dragon gijinka I wanted to look like a cool knight, I might not commission you because you have no armour examples! That's an issue - a lot of Flight Rising apparel skews towards an older era, so if you want to get in people who want their dragons drawn, you'll want to have some older styles of clothing examples. Definitely consider expanding the outfits you've got to include older stuff like dresses and armour, and maybe consider adding some cool props like weapons, backpacks, gaming consoles, whatever else. [/quote] Best of luck with your shop! Hopefully something in this helps, haha. I think you're doing very well to have gotten to the point of Having a Shop and Selling Things, so just keep it up. --------- Small edit: Just noticed [i]this [/i]on your PWYW thread. [img]https://i.imgur.com/MCLH5g0.png[/img] Firstly, you're a mad lad, I didn't even realize. Secondly - I'm not sure whether your main thread is also you doing commissions on your phone, but if that's the case, that's one hell of a selling point! You should definitely make it more obvious that's how you're making them, if that's the case.
@muto

I'll try to give some response to the actual art, but I would like to give you some advice on your shop too! I feel like it's more my field.

I'll start with some small things you may like to do to try to improve your shop! Firstly, well done on starting a shop thread - that's the first step. Here are some things that might help you attract the riff raff:
Shop wrote:
- You might like to put a banner or just a piece of really nice art you like on the very first post. I'm on desktop, and I had to scroll to see your lovely art! Try to tempt your customers right away.

- When I first saw your thread, I thought it was a USD-only shop! This is because your examples have USD prices next to them in very large text, which is much larger than the text you have saying you take gems, items and treasure. You might like to make it more obvious that you take onsite payment.

- Personally, I would prefer to see large example images and small, FR-size text underneath them, rather than the text taking up as much space as the pictures. You want to let people see as many details of the art as possible, especially on mobile.

- I think overall, you've got a big variety in your artstyle, and that's great! However, in terms of running a shop, you may find that showcasing one consistent style of drawing goes further. This is because commissioners like to be able to imagine what they might get from you - I know I do.

- You may want to offer more specific colouring options, or be more specific about how you're colouring each tier. The PFP option has a very different way of colouring to the Fullbody option, for instance, and I can see that, but some commissioners may not realize until they've ordered.

- Advertising another, cheaper shop inside of your own shop isn't a great idea - you don't want people to click away from your more expensive thread. ;) (Advertising your more expensive stuff inside of the cheaper thread is a good idea, though.)

- Side note: that pwyw shop should not be starting at 45 cents/45g for fully coloured, full-body artwork. I get it's pwyw and it's meant to be cheap and people may tip you, but at that price, you are running the risk of lots of people ordering and exhausting you. Consider starting around 150g-200g as a base price for your pwyw shop - still very cheap, but you're less likely to get accidentally flooded.

- Consider offering proper busts, and also reference sheet options! You draw clothes very well, which is definitely something people look out for when they're looking for a reference sheet of their human oc.

As far as your art goes, I think it's super cute, and I think your prices are very fair for what you're offering! I have a few things to say about the art, which may or may not be at all valid points, so just take it all with a jar of salt...
Me Attempting To Give Art Advice (You Can Point And Laugh) wrote:
- Overall, like I said, I think you have an impressive range of styles you can draw! Your art is very colourful, deceptively simple, and kind of reminds me of early 2012 tumblr (in a good, nostalgic way).

- One thing you need to look at is your shading, particularly on skin. I'm not a great artist, but I don't find vague, blurred streaks of shadow appealing - that's not how shadows work in anime-esque styles like this, they have edges. I definitely prefer the hard shading you use with your chibis to what you're currently using in your more expensive shop.

- Personally, when I consider if I would commission a human artist, I always look at whether they are drawing a variety of genders, body types, age groups, and so on. I've got lots of swole dragons named things like MANLY MCBRO and WARRIORMALE in my lair - what if I want gijinkas of them? Some of my favourite fandom characters are older fellows - what if I want to get some art of them? So, I'd consider trying to get some more variety into your humans.

- I'm a bit of a purist. Unless I'm buying digital art where it's supposed to be transparent for whatever reason, I often want a stupid gradient or just an interesting background! This even goes for when I was looking around for an artist to get my first ref sheet from - the simple gradient-galaxy backgrounds they were using played a role in me buying from them. It doesn't have to be complicated, but maybe consider making your backgrounds a little more interesting, to help showcase your art.

- I like the example where you had the two characters interacting; perhaps more of your examples could feature that sort of thing, more dynamic poses? I can see you're capable of drawing them, so... Just Do It? Commissioners often like to have their OCs drawn doing something, not just standing around.

- I like that you can draw a fairly wide variety of modern outfits; it's a particular strength of yours. Consider showcasing this by using more characters in your shop examples - never have the same outfit shown twice.

- At the moment, if I had a dragon gijinka I wanted to look like a cool knight, I might not commission you because you have no armour examples! That's an issue - a lot of Flight Rising apparel skews towards an older era, so if you want to get in people who want their dragons drawn, you'll want to have some older styles of clothing examples. Definitely consider expanding the outfits you've got to include older stuff like dresses and armour, and maybe consider adding some cool props like weapons, backpacks, gaming consoles, whatever else.

Best of luck with your shop! Hopefully something in this helps, haha. I think you're doing very well to have gotten to the point of Having a Shop and Selling Things, so just keep it up.

Small edit: Just noticed this on your PWYW thread.

MCLH5g0.png

Firstly, you're a mad lad, I didn't even realize. Secondly - I'm not sure whether your main thread is also you doing commissions on your phone, but if that's the case, that's one hell of a selling point! You should definitely make it more obvious that's how you're making them, if that's the case.
mancave_banner.png

MANGENTA.png
Thank you for your suggestions!
I def see what you mean about my shop ;;; i've been meaning to make a banner and flight rising commission sheets (i took those ones off my twitter lol)
and yesss i need to work on more diverse examples! i'll totally add some beefcakes (and maybe in armor,,my worst enemy ;u;)

Thank you for your advice as well!! It's really helpful to see things from an outside perspective, im rlly bad about being like "i dont see a problem so i dont need to change it!!" and its something im trying to overcome ^^*
Thank you for your suggestions!
I def see what you mean about my shop ;;; i've been meaning to make a banner and flight rising commission sheets (i took those ones off my twitter lol)
and yesss i need to work on more diverse examples! i'll totally add some beefcakes (and maybe in armor,,my worst enemy ;u;)

Thank you for your advice as well!! It's really helpful to see things from an outside perspective, im rlly bad about being like "i dont see a problem so i dont need to change it!!" and its something im trying to overcome ^^*
DSvyk5V.gif
JvUa9ma.png

fkWjutW.png

WKtl2lb.png

bYt72YT.png

blepastro-1.png
@muto - I think it's tricky to see issues with your own shop thread or your own art - you've stared at it so much, it all looks fine to you! Sometimes a second opinion can help.

I juuuust edited in a little thing, see above - are you seriously drawing all your pictures using your mobile phone? If true, that's bonkers, and you should totally tell everyone who sees your shop how you're making your art.
@muto - I think it's tricky to see issues with your own shop thread or your own art - you've stared at it so much, it all looks fine to you! Sometimes a second opinion can help.

I juuuust edited in a little thing, see above - are you seriously drawing all your pictures using your mobile phone? If true, that's bonkers, and you should totally tell everyone who sees your shop how you're making your art.
mancave_banner.png

MANGENTA.png
ahh! yes i only use mobile to draw anything and everything (both my main shop and pwyw shop are done in the ibispaint app right now) - certainly im using a samsung tablet (its about 8 inches I think) I'm hoping to get arthritis gloves soon so I can draw a bit faster lol
I don't think I've held a pen or pencil for anything besides signatures for...like 5-6 years? ^^;
ahh! yes i only use mobile to draw anything and everything (both my main shop and pwyw shop are done in the ibispaint app right now) - certainly im using a samsung tablet (its about 8 inches I think) I'm hoping to get arthritis gloves soon so I can draw a bit faster lol
I don't think I've held a pen or pencil for anything besides signatures for...like 5-6 years? ^^;
DSvyk5V.gif
JvUa9ma.png

fkWjutW.png

WKtl2lb.png

bYt72YT.png

blepastro-1.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 36