Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [MistJam] 2019 Poetry Contest WINNERS!
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 23
"Kavelyn. I have something to confess." The Spiral turned quizzically around to see Mythic staring back at him. "If you're having a mental breakdown, I can see that," he said. "No, I ate all of your cookies," Mythic said. Kavelyn stared at him. "You what?" "They were the expensive kind of cookies! The good ones! I couldn't resist!" "Oh, and he also ate our lunch too," Vespera added, pulling her head out of the picnic basket. There was jam around her mouth and half a sandwich in her claws. Kavelyn gave her a look. "What? It was all him." she took another bite. "Allll him." "You know what, you can do the next one. I'm going to find the nearest food shop, or I'll have you both evicted from the lair." "Good luck with that!" Vespera turned to Mythic. "Your turn, buddy!" "Vespera, the last time I tried penning poetry I ended up in a snake pit." "Can your life stop being so entertaining? Are you a trouble magnet or are you just naturally inclined to being wherever disaster is about to happen?" Vespera paused, then picked him up. "Actually, you know what? It's entertaining and doesn't involve me, so screw it. Now, go! Ring the bell! Pen poetry! Summon the Shade! The possibilities are endless! And if it sucks, we'll just say Kavleyn wrote it!" Mythic shrieked as he slammed facefirst into the bell. ----- [i]Ping Ping Ping goes the bell. Waiting for someone to answer. Judges: @s0leil @Paintminion @Milohilay @BrookInTheMeadow [/i] [b]FR Player Name:[/b] MythicalViper [b]FR Player ID#:[/b] 167480 [b]Dragon Poet's Name:[/b] Kavleyn [b]Dragon Poet's ID#:[/b] Dragon ID #44854473 [b]Dragon Poet Image: [/b] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44854473] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/448545/44854473_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] ----- [b]Entry Category:[/b] Friendship Haiku [b]Entry Title:[/b] Bracelet [b]Entry: [/b] An echoing song A battered bracelet hanging Threads of soft laughter ----- [b]Entry Category:[/b] Autumn and Spring [b]Entry Title:[/b] Ruby Autumn, Emerald Spring [b]Entry: [/b] How can I compare? Sweet Autumn’s leaves Her twilights of red and gold entwined To Spring’s dewy green and cool mornings And small plants arching from soft leylines How can I compared they, who are equally lovely And say Spring, in his emerald tunic and wings Is better than Autumn, in her ruby gown of fall For how they each change the world we see Is simply two shades of the same beauty And one cannot dare to compare them at all. -----
"Kavelyn. I have something to confess."

The Spiral turned quizzically around to see Mythic staring back at him.

"If you're having a mental breakdown, I can see that," he said.

"No, I ate all of your cookies," Mythic said.

Kavelyn stared at him. "You what?"

"They were the expensive kind of cookies! The good ones! I couldn't resist!"

"Oh, and he also ate our lunch too," Vespera added, pulling her head out of the picnic basket. There was jam around her mouth and half a sandwich in her claws. Kavelyn gave her a look. "What? It was all him." she took another bite. "Allll him."

"You know what, you can do the next one. I'm going to find the nearest food shop, or I'll have you both evicted from the lair."

"Good luck with that!" Vespera turned to Mythic. "Your turn, buddy!"

"Vespera, the last time I tried penning poetry I ended up in a snake pit."

"Can your life stop being so entertaining? Are you a trouble magnet or are you just naturally inclined to being wherever disaster is about to happen?" Vespera paused, then picked him up. "Actually, you know what? It's entertaining and doesn't involve me, so screw it. Now, go! Ring the bell! Pen poetry! Summon the Shade! The possibilities are endless! And if it sucks, we'll just say Kavleyn wrote it!"

Mythic shrieked as he slammed facefirst into the bell.

Ping Ping Ping goes the bell. Waiting for someone to answer.
Judges: @s0leil @Paintminion @Milohilay @BrookInTheMeadow

FR Player Name: MythicalViper
FR Player ID#: 167480
Dragon Poet's Name: Kavleyn
Dragon Poet's ID#: Dragon ID #44854473

Dragon Poet Image:

Entry Category: Friendship Haiku

Entry Title: Bracelet

Entry:

An echoing song
A battered bracelet hanging
Threads of soft laughter

Entry Category: Autumn and Spring

Entry Title: Ruby Autumn, Emerald Spring

Entry:

How can I compare? Sweet Autumn’s leaves
Her twilights of red and gold entwined
To Spring’s dewy green and cool mornings
And small plants arching from soft leylines

How can I compared they, who are equally lovely
And say Spring, in his emerald tunic and wings
Is better than Autumn, in her ruby gown of fall
For how they each change the world we see
Is simply two shades of the same beauty
And one cannot dare to compare them at all.

uPDF3lw.pngX2PAJU7.gifg56Nt7u.png badge-1-100x100.pngRVjFQtg.png
@MythicalViper

Windruffles eyed the spiral waiting at the Registration desk. "Entry, please."

The spiral handed her a scroll with a flourish and Windruffles logged it in the Entries List, after confirming that it conformed to the rules. She looked up and smiled at the Poet, wondering why he made her think of the smell of smoke.

"Thank you, Kavleyn, you're all set! Don't forget your security badge, or they won't let you in the Poetry tent. Good luck to you!" Then she turned to the rest of the line, "Next!"

@MythicalViper

Windruffles eyed the spiral waiting at the Registration desk. "Entry, please."

The spiral handed her a scroll with a flourish and Windruffles logged it in the Entries List, after confirming that it conformed to the rules. She looked up and smiled at the Poet, wondering why he made her think of the smell of smoke.

"Thank you, Kavleyn, you're all set! Don't forget your security badge, or they won't let you in the Poetry tent. Good luck to you!" Then she turned to the rest of the line, "Next!"

An open book that reads Stories & Poetry MJ 24uZeuhOu.pngBk78Myp.pngLaSYQ19.gif8d7o509.png
"I don't know why I expected you two to behave by yourself. You are walking disasters and while the Arcanist would be proud, this isn't the Starfall Celebration!" "And none of us are actually arcane Arcane dragons," Vespera added, lying faceup on the ground with the remains of a cream pie all over her face. "That stand was delicious, though." "Tell me you didn't rob the poor vendor." "We didn't rob him." Mythic sounded insulted by that very thought. "We borrowed his merchandise for science!" "One day, you two will learn that 'for science' is not a phrase that holds up in court," Kavleyn told them. "That day is not today, so I think we're safe," Vespera chuckled. She rolled over to her feet, only slightly less round than a Snapper dragon. "Alright, I think I should reward the world for producing such excellent cream pies." "You... do know the world doesn't revolve around you. Right?" "Silence, lowly peon. Of course it does!" Vespera whipped out her pen, a maniac gleam in her eyes. "And it's my turn now. I'll show you how the master does it!" ----- [i]Ping Ping Ping goes the bell. Waiting for someone to answer. Judges: @s0leil @Paintminion @Milohilay @BrookInTheMeadow [/i] [b]FR Player Name:[/b] MythicalViper [b]FR Player ID#:[/b] 167480 [b]Dragon Poet's Name:[/b] Kavleyn [b]Dragon Poet's ID#:[/b] Dragon ID #44854473 [b]Dragon Poet Image: [/b] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44854473] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/448545/44854473_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] ----- [b]Entry Category:[/b] If the Windsinger... [b]Entry Title:[/b] I Wonder [b]Entry: [/b] I wonder, I wonder If I can befriend a god One who flies so high and so far Above I wonder, I wonder If the Windsinger were my friend How would we start How would this friendship begin? Would he meet me on the crest of The tallest, swaying hill? Would he wave at me as he flies past And spins the windmills? Would we go out to the movies Or to the beach for a swim? Or race in the sky Against the four winds? Would he like chocolate on his popcorn And ice cream in a cone? Would he share his nachos Or consume them alone? Does he like to watch the sunset Or stargaze as the night winds blow Or relax on an outcrop And watch the sea below I wonder, I wonder From beginning to end How much fun I would have If the Windsinger were my friend ----- [b]Entry Category:[/b] Poem to a Friend Okay, see, I'd ping the entire community of Arcane Slack if I could, but I can't, so :llamarub: I choose you @PheonixPonder ! For being an excellent Slack parent to me and all the other younglings ^_^ And also, this was supposed to be a cute, funny poem. But as is with most things that are supposed to be cute and funny in my lore, it's... it's angsty. [s]I have a problem.[/s] [b]Entry Title:[/b] A Friend In The World Nonexistent [b]Entry: [/b] They told me it was impossible That I could a stranger befriend For how can you trust another When you’ve not even held their hand? They told me it was impossible But they weren’t the ones who reached Out to me when I was falling Or protected me when my feelings were breached And I know how it can be dark and lonely I’ve spent most of my time in chambers white The kind of white that fades in darkness Untouched by colors bright But you pulled me out of the shadows When no one else heard my screams And showed me just how vibrant The world around me could possibly be And as a child I’ve laughed at sentiment For it wasn’t something I used to know How could I believed people helped one another When everyone else has left me in the cold? Yet somehow in this world we share The one that doesn’t really exist I found a warmth that I once only knew As a concept called “friendship.” So thank you for holding on to me For being there to give me this bond That tells me I’m not alone in this world And gives me the strength to go on.
"I don't know why I expected you two to behave by yourself. You are walking disasters and while the Arcanist would be proud, this isn't the Starfall Celebration!"

"And none of us are actually arcane Arcane dragons," Vespera added, lying faceup on the ground with the remains of a cream pie all over her face. "That stand was delicious, though."

"Tell me you didn't rob the poor vendor."

"We didn't rob him." Mythic sounded insulted by that very thought. "We borrowed his merchandise for science!"

"One day, you two will learn that 'for science' is not a phrase that holds up in court," Kavleyn told them.

"That day is not today, so I think we're safe," Vespera chuckled. She rolled over to her feet, only slightly less round than a Snapper dragon. "Alright, I think I should reward the world for producing such excellent cream pies."

"You... do know the world doesn't revolve around you. Right?"

"Silence, lowly peon. Of course it does!" Vespera whipped out her pen, a maniac gleam in her eyes. "And it's my turn now. I'll show you how the master does it!"

Dragon Poet Image:

Entry Category: If the Windsinger...

Entry Title: I Wonder

Entry:

I wonder, I wonder
If I can befriend a god
One who flies so high and so far
Above

I wonder, I wonder
If the Windsinger were my friend
How would we start
How would this friendship begin?

Would he meet me on the crest of
The tallest, swaying hill?
Would he wave at me as he flies past
And spins the windmills?

Would we go out to the movies
Or to the beach for a swim?
Or race in the sky
Against the four winds?

Would he like chocolate on his popcorn
And ice cream in a cone?
Would he share his nachos
Or consume them alone?

Does he like to watch the sunset
Or stargaze as the night winds blow
Or relax on an outcrop
And watch the sea below

I wonder, I wonder
From beginning to end
How much fun I would have
If the Windsinger were my friend

Entry Category: Poem to a Friend

Okay, see, I'd ping the entire community of Arcane Slack if I could, but I can't, so :llamarub: I choose you @PheonixPonder ! For being an excellent Slack parent to me and all the other younglings ^_^

And also, this was supposed to be a cute, funny poem. But as is with most things that are supposed to be cute and funny in my lore, it's... it's angsty.

I have a problem.

Entry Title: A Friend In The World Nonexistent

Entry:

They told me it was impossible
That I could a stranger befriend
For how can you trust another
When you’ve not even held their hand?

They told me it was impossible
But they weren’t the ones who reached
Out to me when I was falling
Or protected me when my feelings were breached

And I know how it can be dark and lonely
I’ve spent most of my time in chambers white
The kind of white that fades in darkness
Untouched by colors bright

But you pulled me out of the shadows
When no one else heard my screams
And showed me just how vibrant
The world around me could possibly be

And as a child I’ve laughed at sentiment
For it wasn’t something I used to know
How could I believed people helped one another
When everyone else has left me in the cold?

Yet somehow in this world we share
The one that doesn’t really exist
I found a warmth that I once only knew
As a concept called “friendship.”

So thank you for holding on to me
For being there to give me this bond
That tells me I’m not alone in this world
And gives me the strength to go on.
@paintminion

Whoops, sorry about this second ping. I edited the above post because I forgot to include the entry title ^_^"
@paintminion

Whoops, sorry about this second ping. I edited the above post because I forgot to include the entry title ^_^"
@MythicalViper

No problem, Windruffles is giggling behind the Poetry tent now, but she may have noticed a rather indignant pie stall vendor talking with the local guard patrol...

I'll just get these entered, shall I?
@MythicalViper

No problem, Windruffles is giggling behind the Poetry tent now, but she may have noticed a rather indignant pie stall vendor talking with the local guard patrol...

I'll just get these entered, shall I?
An open book that reads Stories & Poetry MJ 24uZeuhOu.pngBk78Myp.pngLaSYQ19.gif8d7o509.png
@paintminion

We... we deeply apologise for that. Well, actually, we don't, because we're not claiming that dragon as one of ours. You may drag her away.

But leave us with her spellscroll. That's worth 3kg and we're not giving it up without a fight XD
@paintminion

We... we deeply apologise for that. Well, actually, we don't, because we're not claiming that dragon as one of ours. You may drag her away.

But leave us with her spellscroll. That's worth 3kg and we're not giving it up without a fight XD
"Okay, I think we're done here. If we stay here any longer, you two are going to end up as criminals and guess who will want to bail you out of jail? No one. Absolutely no one. You two are a waste of space and air, I cannot believe I am clanmates with you." Kavleyn did his best to glare Vespera and Mythic into submission. He failed, but he did his best. Vespera just burped, while Mythic nommed into a bright red apple. Kavleyn considered turning them in himself, because he was NOT going to be responsible for bailing them out. He wasn't. "Well, I'd leave, but there's one more entry left," Vespera pointed out. "Mythic's done two poems. So have I. So the last one's yours!" "No. I did one poem already! And it was technically two poems! That counts, right?" "Not if they're in the same category," Mythic said. "Spiral up and do the last one." "Did you just tell me to Spiral up? Really?" "Look, it's do it, or let us finish robbing the rest of the vendors. You've got about half an hour before the patrol guard finds us, thanks to Vespera's cream pie episode. You want to end up in cuffs, or do you want to pick up the pen." Kavleyn glared at him before reaching for the bell. "I will have you all murdered." "Good luck with that," Vespera and Mythic chortled, and Kavleyn rolled his eyes as he rang the bell. ----- [i]Ping Ping Ping goes the bell. Waiting for someone to answer. Judges: @s0leil @Paintminion @Milohilay @BrookInTheMeadow [/i] [b]FR Player Name:[/b] MythicalViper [b]FR Player ID#:[/b] 167480 [b]Dragon Poet's Name:[/b] Kavleyn [b]Dragon Poet's ID#:[/b] Dragon ID #44854473 [b]Dragon Poet Image: [/b] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44854473] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/448545/44854473_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] ----- [b]Entry Category:[/b] Anything Goes [b]Entry Title:[/b] The Contest of the Four [b]Entry: [/b] Anything goes? Anything goes! Let’s see how each of the four winds blow! In this contest of seasons, we’ve got red and green And Winter and Summer coming to join Autumn and Spring (Okay, okay, the seasons aren’t actually winds But my tiny technicalities you’re going to have to forgive After all, you know what they each represent So let me smudge the details and show you a poem resplendent!) First we’ve got Spring in his great emerald robe He’s got flowers blooming all over the floor (I feel bad for the dragons who’ll have to clean up that mess He even brought a bunch of birds snoozing in their nests!) He’s showing his power in a bright burst of green That’s turning up all the flowers and all the leaves And the ground that was barren is now growing soft As brand-new plants peek forth with heads aloft (I’ve no idea where he got all that dirt I hope I won’t have to pay insurance for the floor They used to be nice marble tiles - now they’re gone Maybe they’ll return as this contest goes on?) Ahem - next is his cousin, of the sweltering sun Yes, it’s Summer, who’s always so much fun! She’s circled by sand and the taste of beach Of ripening fruits and pies of apple and peach She’s wrapped in a soft, warm, golden glow Like the sunlit western wind that always blows The aroma of flowers, subtle and sweet And the taste of plants as they bask in the heat (Oh dear, the garden on the floor Is really quite getting out of hand The vegetation’s going wild -they’re all over the place As this rate we won’t have much left of our base!) Oops, here comes Autumn, with her smile red (I hope she’s not looking to have my head.) Her aura’s a bit chilly, but her eyes aren’t cold In fact, she looks quite kind in her gown of crimson gold Here comes her power, in a scarlet glow! That takes away Summer’s heat in a single blow! I can see baskets of ripe fruit, smoked meats, and [I]oh my lord[/I] There are piles of crunchy leaves galore! (Well, that’s a addition to the floor I can take Autumn’s brought a lot of food anyway Spring and Summer don’t look quite pleased But hey, who can say no to such a feast?) Behind Autumn comes Winter, black antlers high As he gazes serenely and mildly at the sky (Maybe he’s looking at the sun? It’s still quite bright I hope he doesn’t intend to hide it - we got no spare lights.) In a seeping mist, the very air chills (Winter’s white magic will save me some cleaning bills) Look - the plants are all turning brown! And falling gently to the ground Frost is spreading quickly across the floor Spreading white crystals on the walls and door Clouds are gathering flakes of snow That start to fall as the north wind blows Wonderful! Excellent! The power of the four! That control the seasons - wait what was that for? A scream? Spring is tackling Autumn to the ground! And Winter and Summer are wrestling all around The birds are chirping and there’s fruit everywhere Maturing from raw to ripe to dead as they fly through the air And - holy Eleven - Autumn just judo-flipped Spring onto his face And into a pile of crunchy leaves - what a waste! Well, ah, I guess this contest is coming to an end! Ladies and gentlemen, enemies and friends! I hope you’ve enjoyed this contest of the four! (Now I’m getting out of here before I’m billed for the floor.) ----- Edit was for a small typo!
"Okay, I think we're done here. If we stay here any longer, you two are going to end up as criminals and guess who will want to bail you out of jail? No one. Absolutely no one. You two are a waste of space and air, I cannot believe I am clanmates with you."

Kavleyn did his best to glare Vespera and Mythic into submission. He failed, but he did his best. Vespera just burped, while Mythic nommed into a bright red apple. Kavleyn considered turning them in himself, because he was NOT going to be responsible for bailing them out. He wasn't.

"Well, I'd leave, but there's one more entry left," Vespera pointed out. "Mythic's done two poems. So have I. So the last one's yours!"

"No. I did one poem already! And it was technically two poems! That counts, right?"

"Not if they're in the same category," Mythic said. "Spiral up and do the last one."

"Did you just tell me to Spiral up? Really?"

"Look, it's do it, or let us finish robbing the rest of the vendors. You've got about half an hour before the patrol guard finds us, thanks to Vespera's cream pie episode. You want to end up in cuffs, or do you want to pick up the pen."

Kavleyn glared at him before reaching for the bell. "I will have you all murdered."

"Good luck with that," Vespera and Mythic chortled, and Kavleyn rolled his eyes as he rang the bell.

Dragon Poet Image:

Entry Category: Anything Goes

Entry Title: The Contest of the Four

Entry:

Anything goes? Anything goes!
Let’s see how each of the four winds blow!
In this contest of seasons, we’ve got red and green
And Winter and Summer coming to join Autumn and Spring

(Okay, okay, the seasons aren’t actually winds
But my tiny technicalities you’re going to have to forgive
After all, you know what they each represent
So let me smudge the details and show you a poem resplendent!)

First we’ve got Spring in his great emerald robe
He’s got flowers blooming all over the floor
(I feel bad for the dragons who’ll have to clean up that mess
He even brought a bunch of birds snoozing in their nests!)

He’s showing his power in a bright burst of green
That’s turning up all the flowers and all the leaves
And the ground that was barren is now growing soft
As brand-new plants peek forth with heads aloft

(I’ve no idea where he got all that dirt
I hope I won’t have to pay insurance for the floor
They used to be nice marble tiles - now they’re gone
Maybe they’ll return as this contest goes on?)

Ahem - next is his cousin, of the sweltering sun
Yes, it’s Summer, who’s always so much fun!
She’s circled by sand and the taste of beach
Of ripening fruits and pies of apple and peach

She’s wrapped in a soft, warm, golden glow
Like the sunlit western wind that always blows
The aroma of flowers, subtle and sweet
And the taste of plants as they bask in the heat

(Oh dear, the garden on the floor
Is really quite getting out of hand
The vegetation’s going wild -they’re all over the place
As this rate we won’t have much left of our base!)

Oops, here comes Autumn, with her smile red
(I hope she’s not looking to have my head.)
Her aura’s a bit chilly, but her eyes aren’t cold
In fact, she looks quite kind in her gown of crimson gold

Here comes her power, in a scarlet glow!
That takes away Summer’s heat in a single blow!
I can see baskets of ripe fruit, smoked meats, and oh my lord
There are piles of crunchy leaves galore!

(Well, that’s a addition to the floor I can take
Autumn’s brought a lot of food anyway
Spring and Summer don’t look quite pleased
But hey, who can say no to such a feast?)

Behind Autumn comes Winter, black antlers high
As he gazes serenely and mildly at the sky
(Maybe he’s looking at the sun? It’s still quite bright
I hope he doesn’t intend to hide it - we got no spare lights.)

In a seeping mist, the very air chills
(Winter’s white magic will save me some cleaning bills)
Look - the plants are all turning brown!
And falling gently to the ground

Frost is spreading quickly across the floor
Spreading white crystals on the walls and door
Clouds are gathering flakes of snow
That start to fall as the north wind blows

Wonderful! Excellent! The power of the four!
That control the seasons - wait what was that for?
A scream? Spring is tackling Autumn to the ground!
And Winter and Summer are wrestling all around

The birds are chirping and there’s fruit everywhere
Maturing from raw to ripe to dead as they fly through the air
And - holy Eleven - Autumn just judo-flipped Spring onto his face
And into a pile of crunchy leaves - what a waste!

Well, ah, I guess this contest is coming to an end!
Ladies and gentlemen, enemies and friends!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this contest of the four!
(Now I’m getting out of here before I’m billed for the floor.)

Edit was for a small typo!
@MythicalViper

"Thank you for your entry," Windruffles accepted the poem from the spiral who'd been hanging around with his friends for awhile now. She checked her list after logging the poem. "Yes, that's your final entry, you have something in each category now. You can fill out your security badge completely, if you'd like. It makes a great keepsake of the contest. Good luck to you!"
@MythicalViper

"Thank you for your entry," Windruffles accepted the poem from the spiral who'd been hanging around with his friends for awhile now. She checked her list after logging the poem. "Yes, that's your final entry, you have something in each category now. You can fill out your security badge completely, if you'd like. It makes a great keepsake of the contest. Good luck to you!"
@paintminion Quick question: for Anything Goes I assume it's, well, anything goes, but is it ok to write from a real world rather than Sornieth perspective for some of the other categories, like the seasons/haiku?
@paintminion Quick question: for Anything Goes I assume it's, well, anything goes, but is it ok to write from a real world rather than Sornieth perspective for some of the other categories, like the seasons/haiku?
cloudbear familiar adopt (links to free resource)why does align right not work fit fit fit fit fit okHobbes dragon plushie (links to breeding pairs)
@sockmonkeygerald

We accept all poetry in any of the categories, as long as it fits within the category requirements. =so real world is fine for some of those categories!

I will go check the examples, as I didn't find those (I'm just the code monkey here) and I certainly don't want anything not appropriate for game play here! Thank you for the heads up.
@sockmonkeygerald

We accept all poetry in any of the categories, as long as it fits within the category requirements. =so real world is fine for some of those categories!

I will go check the examples, as I didn't find those (I'm just the code monkey here) and I certainly don't want anything not appropriate for game play here! Thank you for the heads up.
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 23