Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers of September
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22
Introduction

In Nanowrimo 2013, Micahjaguar started a writers' chat thread in the Wind forum. Since Micah and I left Wind, we've created a writers' chat here every month, to (a) meet new writers! and (b) keep in touch with all our Windy friends. (Hi Windies! We still love you all!)

Some purposes for this thread:
  • Talk excitedly about your current awesome writing project!
  • Whinge about your current project which no longer seems so awesome and you don't want to work on it any more but YOU WILL anyway. Because REASONS.
  • Show off snippets of your writing
  • Cheer your fellow writers on as they write!
  • Commiserate with your fellow writers as they complain about not writing, or about not being happy with their writing
  • Ask other participants to pick one of your dragons for you to write something about in the dragon's bio
  • Show off dragon bios
  • Admire one another's dragons and new hatchlings from time to time (because this IS Flight Rising)
  • Any other writerly activities you want to chat about

"Dragon Writers" is a reference to this being a chat on a dragon site; there is no requirement that you write about dragons in order to participate. (Okay, there really aren't any requirements at all).

This is intended to be a general chat thread and not a critique group. Now, it's absolutely fine for a writer to post a link to their work and ask people for feedback and/or criticism! But it's also fine for people to post bits of their writing just to show off and with no desire to have it critiqued. And it's fine if you participate in the thread without ever sharing anything you write, or giving feedback on anyone else's writing.

Unless a writer solicits critiques, please only respond to their writing with supportive comments (or don't respond at all).

Also, this is a chat thread: we're here to interact with one another as writers. Showing up to say 'I haven't read any of the previous messages and am completely ignoring any conversations going on. Please come to my thread/read my writing' is unlikely to work out well for you.

New Business

I disappeared last month! Catch me up on what I missed, if you are so inclined. :)
Introduction

In Nanowrimo 2013, Micahjaguar started a writers' chat thread in the Wind forum. Since Micah and I left Wind, we've created a writers' chat here every month, to (a) meet new writers! and (b) keep in touch with all our Windy friends. (Hi Windies! We still love you all!)

Some purposes for this thread:
  • Talk excitedly about your current awesome writing project!
  • Whinge about your current project which no longer seems so awesome and you don't want to work on it any more but YOU WILL anyway. Because REASONS.
  • Show off snippets of your writing
  • Cheer your fellow writers on as they write!
  • Commiserate with your fellow writers as they complain about not writing, or about not being happy with their writing
  • Ask other participants to pick one of your dragons for you to write something about in the dragon's bio
  • Show off dragon bios
  • Admire one another's dragons and new hatchlings from time to time (because this IS Flight Rising)
  • Any other writerly activities you want to chat about

"Dragon Writers" is a reference to this being a chat on a dragon site; there is no requirement that you write about dragons in order to participate. (Okay, there really aren't any requirements at all).

This is intended to be a general chat thread and not a critique group. Now, it's absolutely fine for a writer to post a link to their work and ask people for feedback and/or criticism! But it's also fine for people to post bits of their writing just to show off and with no desire to have it critiqued. And it's fine if you participate in the thread without ever sharing anything you write, or giving feedback on anyone else's writing.

Unless a writer solicits critiques, please only respond to their writing with supportive comments (or don't respond at all).

Also, this is a chat thread: we're here to interact with one another as writers. Showing up to say 'I haven't read any of the previous messages and am completely ignoring any conversations going on. Please come to my thread/read my writing' is unlikely to work out well for you.

New Business

I disappeared last month! Catch me up on what I missed, if you are so inclined. :)
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@Almaren, @Aloysius, @Alpharaposa, @Amut, @Batme, @benalene, @Bhelryss, @WynterDragen @BlackWinter, @blaireau, @BombSwan, @brilliantsky, @Caiiore, @CanisLupus03, @Catbag, @Celetia912, @chalcara, @chaosheart13, @chibithulu @cinderrain, @CosmicCoelacanth, @Darkersolstice, @Darkwarrior101, @disbounded, @dransnake, @DrippingWords, @DTEvie, @egyptelf, @Elfnextdoor, @encarmine, @EonFlamewing, @Erratic, @Eyries, @Fixeddotdice, @gendersquare, @growingthebear, @gunslinger, @hitoritabi, @Hurricanesong, @Ickyrus, @IronPen, @IvoryMuffin, @Jane13, @JiggertyPokery, @kanashiiichigo, @kayn, @Kazaera, @Kelwyn, @Kerynean, @KittyHamilton, @LadyRowyn, @Ladyslayer, @lamarqueisdead @LilacsandFreedom, @LucklessLady, @ManaStar, @melonLord, @Metamochi, @micahjaguar, @MischiefSword, @Mistwalker, @Moonwater, @Morichinatsu, @Mort, @mwingzero, @Namira, @nano, @nargothrond, @Fuurin, @Nemera, @Neroelysium @Nightlilac, @NightwindDragon, @Nikita, @Oakwick, @ObsidianNights, @Paintminion, @Pasafatu, @Pielonious, @pixeltune, @PocketTheSaurus, @Dreamnorn @PoofinBurd, @Pookasaur, @psychocanes, @puffbird, @purplpeanut, @Pyrasaur, @quartzcrusher, @Rabbithearts, @Rexcaliburr, @ruthie, @SadariEvenstar, @SapphireElegy, @Serpenthyne, @ShadesofCyan, @SierraKomodo, @Silverspun, @SirWermo, @SN1006, @Snaphance, @SocialBookWorm, @Soleil, @SpringyBirdd, @Steffon, @Stoat, @Suraya, @SylphofPens @Syrinx, @tacroy, @The13Inquisitor, @typoAdventure, @Upstart, @Velg, @velvetpaws, @VigilanteSnail, @VioletWhirlwind, @VioletWhirlwind, @WhoDoVooDoo, @Wisecakes, @XenSilverQuill, @Yukino, @Zidderinni, @Marmite, @Joying, @Duchannes, @Karika, @Craneoflores, @luckgandor, @shimo, @TheDragonsQueen @WitchyWriter @Iriexiris, @Srewolf @SingingBirdy @ShockZephyr, @LuckieChan @Cinnimoncynic @pachirisu @Plagueheart @thetinyshiloh, @Lytic @Kemonomimi @HeartThief @PlatinumDream, @SpiritKin @LadyKnightKatsa @Lundlaeva, @clarax @xxsnowyxxx @maw, @SilverFoxDemon, @Iceyriver08 @Wymetz @Azurenight,@TheMaskedHunter

To add or remove yourself from the ping list, please edit it here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MgBhbV0tZai8TO20VNURz5y8_toxSN4xLCamseq7ICs/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

@Almaren, @Aloysius, @Alpharaposa, @Amut, @Batme, @benalene, @Bhelryss, @WynterDragen @BlackWinter, @blaireau, @BombSwan, @brilliantsky, @Caiiore, @CanisLupus03, @Catbag, @Celetia912, @chalcara, @chaosheart13, @chibithulu @cinderrain, @CosmicCoelacanth, @Darkersolstice, @Darkwarrior101, @disbounded, @dransnake, @DrippingWords, @DTEvie, @egyptelf, @Elfnextdoor, @encarmine, @EonFlamewing, @Erratic, @Eyries, @Fixeddotdice, @gendersquare, @growingthebear, @gunslinger, @hitoritabi, @Hurricanesong, @Ickyrus, @IronPen, @IvoryMuffin, @Jane13, @JiggertyPokery, @kanashiiichigo, @kayn, @Kazaera, @Kelwyn, @Kerynean, @KittyHamilton, @LadyRowyn, @Ladyslayer, @lamarqueisdead @LilacsandFreedom, @LucklessLady, @ManaStar, @melonLord, @Metamochi, @micahjaguar, @MischiefSword, @Mistwalker, @Moonwater, @Morichinatsu, @Mort, @mwingzero, @Namira, @nano, @nargothrond, @Fuurin, @Nemera, @Neroelysium @Nightlilac, @NightwindDragon, @Nikita, @Oakwick, @ObsidianNights, @Paintminion, @Pasafatu, @Pielonious, @pixeltune, @PocketTheSaurus, @Dreamnorn @PoofinBurd, @Pookasaur, @psychocanes, @puffbird, @purplpeanut, @Pyrasaur, @quartzcrusher, @Rabbithearts, @Rexcaliburr, @ruthie, @SadariEvenstar, @SapphireElegy, @Serpenthyne, @ShadesofCyan, @SierraKomodo, @Silverspun, @SirWermo, @SN1006, @Snaphance, @SocialBookWorm, @Soleil, @SpringyBirdd, @Steffon, @Stoat, @Suraya, @SylphofPens @Syrinx, @tacroy, @The13Inquisitor, @typoAdventure, @Upstart, @Velg, @velvetpaws, @VigilanteSnail, @VioletWhirlwind, @VioletWhirlwind, @WhoDoVooDoo, @Wisecakes, @XenSilverQuill, @Yukino, @Zidderinni, @Marmite, @Joying, @Duchannes, @Karika, @Craneoflores, @luckgandor, @shimo, @TheDragonsQueen @WitchyWriter @Iriexiris, @Srewolf @SingingBirdy @ShockZephyr, @LuckieChan @Cinnimoncynic @pachirisu @Plagueheart @thetinyshiloh, @Lytic @Kemonomimi @HeartThief @PlatinumDream, @SpiritKin @LadyKnightKatsa @Lundlaeva, @clarax @xxsnowyxxx @maw, @SilverFoxDemon, @Iceyriver08 @Wymetz @Azurenight,@TheMaskedHunter

To add or remove yourself from the ping list, please edit it here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MgBhbV0tZai8TO20VNURz5y8_toxSN4xLCamseq7ICs/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

//S C R E A M S// ITS BACK
//S C R E A M S// ITS BACK
sdSRvlV.png
Good Morning September! I'm so glad autumn is almost here!
Good Morning September! I'm so glad autumn is almost here!
OEbTfWA.pngQZBBtQI.png
Oh hi, It's spring.
I disappeared on you all last month. I apologise for that.
(Ice is pushing this week so I'm a little busy right now but... let me give a quick run through what's been happening, and then I'll do my best to start talking to you all again this month. I have indeed missed you <3 )

Basically I'm still looking for work, so no change there. But.
I got a volunteer job as a receptionist at a place that transports elderly people to their appointments for a low fee. "cheapest taxi around" they like to say! So, that's some work experience in the right direction, one day a week.

I also started studying one day a week - Business Administration. Also with the hopes that it will help me to get a job in the admin/reception area, but we'll see how that goes.

Other than that, I've still been working part time at the supermarket to make ends meet haha.

I haven't been writing as much as I'd like to, but I've been doing little bits of it when I can, so at least that's something. I'm also very aware that NaNoWriMo is fast approaching, and I have all intention of participating in that and starting attending my writing group meet-ups again. I also still hope to get this same novel ready to publish by the end of the year. I can do this! *Determined face*.

*ahem*
So yes, that's pretty much it. ^-^
I hope you've all been well~
I'm looking forward to catching up!
Oh hi, It's spring.
I disappeared on you all last month. I apologise for that.
(Ice is pushing this week so I'm a little busy right now but... let me give a quick run through what's been happening, and then I'll do my best to start talking to you all again this month. I have indeed missed you <3 )

Basically I'm still looking for work, so no change there. But.
I got a volunteer job as a receptionist at a place that transports elderly people to their appointments for a low fee. "cheapest taxi around" they like to say! So, that's some work experience in the right direction, one day a week.

I also started studying one day a week - Business Administration. Also with the hopes that it will help me to get a job in the admin/reception area, but we'll see how that goes.

Other than that, I've still been working part time at the supermarket to make ends meet haha.

I haven't been writing as much as I'd like to, but I've been doing little bits of it when I can, so at least that's something. I'm also very aware that NaNoWriMo is fast approaching, and I have all intention of participating in that and starting attending my writing group meet-ups again. I also still hope to get this same novel ready to publish by the end of the year. I can do this! *Determined face*.

*ahem*
So yes, that's pretty much it. ^-^
I hope you've all been well~
I'm looking forward to catching up!
DmRdZYl.png
I vanished in August! I blame WorldCon. It only took five days but a lot of energy. o_o;;

I fell down on two of my goals for August -- no new dragon bios and I didn't work on the backmatter/frontmatter/etc that goes with The Moon Etherium. (I actually forgot I listed those as goals. Oops.) On the other hand, I did finish the first draft of Birthright. \o/

Birthright needs a lot of editing. I am ignoring it now. I am told that ignoring a draft you just finished is good policy. I don't actually believe this*, but I really don't want to edit either this monstrosity or its older and larger sibling, so sure. Let's ignore it for a while.

So I finished up the outline for The Sun Etherium, because of course "take a break from novels" is totally out of the questions, and started writing that.

It is not coming along particularly fast, and I don't really care, because it is just so nice to think "Oooh, I get to work on my book!" instead of "argh, I have to work on my book". Ahhh, that fresh New Story smell. Mmmm.

Micahjaguar read over my outline and tells me it's ambitious. I am looking forward to the challenge!

I need an elevator pitch for The Sun Etherium. I should work on that. Something like "Nonbinary characters look for love while trying to mend the cruelties of their decadent culture".

* The only time I think "fresh eyes" is really useful is when proofreading, and even then I think it's hopeless to expect the author to get a genuinely "fresh" look at their own work unless it's been years since they looked at it.
I vanished in August! I blame WorldCon. It only took five days but a lot of energy. o_o;;

I fell down on two of my goals for August -- no new dragon bios and I didn't work on the backmatter/frontmatter/etc that goes with The Moon Etherium. (I actually forgot I listed those as goals. Oops.) On the other hand, I did finish the first draft of Birthright. \o/

Birthright needs a lot of editing. I am ignoring it now. I am told that ignoring a draft you just finished is good policy. I don't actually believe this*, but I really don't want to edit either this monstrosity or its older and larger sibling, so sure. Let's ignore it for a while.

So I finished up the outline for The Sun Etherium, because of course "take a break from novels" is totally out of the questions, and started writing that.

It is not coming along particularly fast, and I don't really care, because it is just so nice to think "Oooh, I get to work on my book!" instead of "argh, I have to work on my book". Ahhh, that fresh New Story smell. Mmmm.

Micahjaguar read over my outline and tells me it's ambitious. I am looking forward to the challenge!

I need an elevator pitch for The Sun Etherium. I should work on that. Something like "Nonbinary characters look for love while trying to mend the cruelties of their decadent culture".

* The only time I think "fresh eyes" is really useful is when proofreading, and even then I think it's hopeless to expect the author to get a genuinely "fresh" look at their own work unless it's been years since they looked at it.
If I'm completely honest, this is my first time stepping foot into this thread, and I kind of wish I did so earlier! This is the sort of place I've been looking for ever since I got into writing lore, and well now I've found it ^^ I'm currently trying to tidy up my Clan lore, because after six months of being on FR, I've finally thought of an idea for my clan that isn't completely boring or overused xD so i guess that's what i'll be working on for the next few [s]decades[/s] days? And another fact about myself (i'm probably talking too much already) is that i'm currently into writing bios for my fandragons! I got myself into this hellhole where I scry dragons based on songs, and write stories based on the lyrics. A fun, but creatively draining process :P [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26437358] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/264374/26437358_350.png[/img] [/url] Here's a dragon I did based on House of Cards by BTS, and I'd love to get feedback on it, if anyone is up for reading it ^^; Places where I can improve, grammar, better word choice, anything really c: [s]i've talked wayyy too much for my first post here, forgive my excitement[/s]
If I'm completely honest, this is my first time stepping foot into this thread, and I kind of wish I did so earlier! This is the sort of place I've been looking for ever since I got into writing lore, and well now I've found it ^^

I'm currently trying to tidy up my Clan lore, because after six months of being on FR, I've finally thought of an idea for my clan that isn't completely boring or overused xD so i guess that's what i'll be working on for the next few decades days?

And another fact about myself (i'm probably talking too much already) is that i'm currently into writing bios for my fandragons! I got myself into this hellhole where I scry dragons based on songs, and write stories based on the lyrics. A fun, but creatively draining process :P

26437358_350.png

Here's a dragon I did based on House of Cards by BTS, and I'd love to get feedback on it, if anyone is up for reading it ^^; Places where I can improve, grammar, better word choice, anything really c:

i've talked wayyy too much for my first post here, forgive my excitement
IMG_3120.png
I live! I too fell off the August thread. *hangs head* On the bright side, my romance novel is finished and the quality control team is almost done with it. I anticipate with a few edits it should be ready for retail, and then I can concentrate on having fun for the rest of the year, where having fun = writing a serial for Patreon patrons and starting on a fifth novel that I want to come out in spring of 2017. That's actually fun because writing a book in four months is far more leisurely than writing a book in 2 or less, which is what I normally expect of myself. >.> I am having trouble with FR lately and I'm not sure why. I think it's the monotony? I feel like I'm doing the same things over and over again. Also, I feel like I have less and less treasure and it's not coming back to me the way it used to. Like making money (which is what allows you to do the fun stuff in the game) has gotten more tedious/difficult? Does anyone else notice that? The money sinks in the game are getting more distinct, maybe. But that sucks for casual players. -_- Also, I have a billion delicately colored babies and while they're pretty I kind of long for outrageous eyepunch babies that don't match themselves. -_- [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26563685] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/265637/26563685_350.png[/img] [/url] Like this baby. Delicate? Or insipid? DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ASK. *falls over*
I live! I too fell off the August thread. *hangs head* On the bright side, my romance novel is finished and the quality control team is almost done with it. I anticipate with a few edits it should be ready for retail, and then I can concentrate on having fun for the rest of the year, where having fun = writing a serial for Patreon patrons and starting on a fifth novel that I want to come out in spring of 2017.

That's actually fun because writing a book in four months is far more leisurely than writing a book in 2 or less, which is what I normally expect of myself. >.>

I am having trouble with FR lately and I'm not sure why. I think it's the monotony? I feel like I'm doing the same things over and over again. Also, I feel like I have less and less treasure and it's not coming back to me the way it used to. Like making money (which is what allows you to do the fun stuff in the game) has gotten more tedious/difficult? Does anyone else notice that? The money sinks in the game are getting more distinct, maybe. But that sucks for casual players. -_-

Also, I have a billion delicately colored babies and while they're pretty I kind of long for outrageous eyepunch babies that don't match themselves. -_-

26563685_350.png

Like this baby. Delicate? Or insipid? DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ASK.

*falls over*
Traveling Wind Clan! We have toured every Flight in Sornieth!
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
I too, like many, have fell off the thread. This was mainly because I ended up becoming so busy, what with my birthday and school meshing together to get me into a very busy time. Luckily for me, I ended up starting Nothing to Lose, Book 1 (HYPE) while also still writing the lore/worldbuilding of Nothing to Lose alongside it.

I must say though, it is difficult writing a new style. Maybe it's because I've been reading so much of the Talon series (by Julie Kagawa, seriously it's good) where Kagawa has the main protags of each book have their POV and I thought "what could go wrong here???" a lot, lol. It's weird writing in first person, since I'm so used to 3rd person.
I too, like many, have fell off the thread. This was mainly because I ended up becoming so busy, what with my birthday and school meshing together to get me into a very busy time. Luckily for me, I ended up starting Nothing to Lose, Book 1 (HYPE) while also still writing the lore/worldbuilding of Nothing to Lose alongside it.

I must say though, it is difficult writing a new style. Maybe it's because I've been reading so much of the Talon series (by Julie Kagawa, seriously it's good) where Kagawa has the main protags of each book have their POV and I thought "what could go wrong here???" a lot, lol. It's weird writing in first person, since I'm so used to 3rd person.
FR+16hr/Australian, They/Them or He/Him pronouns please.
Formerly known as Airwavelysium!
*breathes in new thread smell* - ahhh.... Like so many, I too was eaten by August. Sadly it was for far less enjoyable reasons than Worldcons or starting school. @LadyRowyn, yeah.. that pitch needs work. A friend sold his series with this; Soldiers use PTSD to save the world from an alien invasion. @jurobii - WOW. I've got no clue what's that about, but it was VERY well written. @micahjaguar I know what you mean. I keep hoping for a new breed, venue, or (dare I hope) for Adventure mode. I like your tinted hatchlings, but sadly I have no room right now. I do however have a bio. NOT one I wrote, though. I won it from the Shadow In Flight from our last push. It has given me a lot of ideas, though. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25676813] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/256769/25676813_350.png[/img] [/url] It was based on my idea, though. Now I just need to write the other half of it.
*breathes in new thread smell* - ahhh....

Like so many, I too was eaten by August. Sadly it was for far less enjoyable reasons than Worldcons or starting school.

@LadyRowyn, yeah.. that pitch needs work. A friend sold his series with this; Soldiers use PTSD to save the world from an alien invasion.

@jurobii - WOW. I've got no clue what's that about, but it was VERY well written.

@micahjaguar I know what you mean. I keep hoping for a new breed, venue, or (dare I hope) for Adventure mode. I like your tinted hatchlings, but sadly I have no room right now.

I do however have a bio. NOT one I wrote, though. I won it from the Shadow In Flight from our last push. It has given me a lot of ideas, though.

25676813_350.png

It was based on my idea, though. Now I just need to write the other half of it.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22