Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers of September
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 22
@jurobii It's a good kind of creepy! Although I find the use of amnesia/blocked memories as a literary device a bit trite, to be honest.

And we all have a lot to improve on. :) I've published two book and I still sit around thinking "I really need to get better at doing (X)".

@paintminion I love that you've got your own in-person writer's group. Sweet!

*giggles at your dragon-guru* So windy!

And fiiiiine I'd already written 2600 words today but there I wrote another 400 JUST FOR YOU. :)

@SocialBookWorm Oh goodness, Filia's just goes on forever! I'm glad you enjoyed it! @Micahjaguar and I used her as a shared dragon and took turns writing it. It spilled over into so many other dragons' bios, many of whom aren't even on the site any more. Some days I think about gathering it all together and putting it in order, but ... eek. SO MUCH. :D

@Luthyx I've always kept random notes in one place or another. When I was a kid, I used to put scraps of stories in "write" files, and start a new file when they filled up. Because when I was a kid the max file size for the writing program I used was super-short, like 12 pages or so. Heh. I actually still have those. For a while I used an LJ for that, and now I mostly use Evernote or Google Docs when I want to brainstorm ideas..

@Amut I never thought I'd feel sorry for Kistern. Eeeeee. What's happening to your poor clan? O_O

@Karika Trad publishing is good too! Saves you on commissioning a cover if you can get someone to take it. :)

@SocialBookWorm Eeee, cursed & brainwashed kid!

@MawkishMuse Welcome to the chat! It's okay, we all started out as shy stalkers once ... yeah that doesn't come out any better when I say it, does it? o_o;;

Also, yay for new li'l dragons! I like writing stories around the babies sometimes too.

@TheDragonsQueen Hi Iris! There, now the gang's all here and we can get started. :D Grats on wrapping up your outline! I love having a complete outline to work from. Right now, whenever I finish one scene, I just look up my outline for what's next and dive right in. None of that "urrrgh I don't know what comes next blaaaah" feeling.

And yay for Arcane Sprite and gened dragons! Someday I will complete my set of familiars. (Except for Boolean and the KS ones, which are NOPE not happening.) But for the rest: someday! I've even been leveling dragons in the Golem Workshop so I will have that super-rare shot at the Workshop boss mob familiars.

3000 words for today and I am definitely feeling the groove. The Sun Etherium is at 7600 words now, which is pretty good given that I finished the outline on Monday and took Tuesday off to read @micahjaguar's newest manuscript. (Cantor of Pearls is wonderful and you should buy it the second it comes out and also buy Thief of Songs RIGHT NOW if you haven't yet just sayin'.)

Anyway, I am still in that glorious new-book-smell stage and everything is puppies and kittens and chocolate and I love life and everyone in it lalalalala writing is my drug of choice and I will be crashing from this high any day now.

Yep.
@jurobii It's a good kind of creepy! Although I find the use of amnesia/blocked memories as a literary device a bit trite, to be honest.

And we all have a lot to improve on. :) I've published two book and I still sit around thinking "I really need to get better at doing (X)".

@paintminion I love that you've got your own in-person writer's group. Sweet!

*giggles at your dragon-guru* So windy!

And fiiiiine I'd already written 2600 words today but there I wrote another 400 JUST FOR YOU. :)

@SocialBookWorm Oh goodness, Filia's just goes on forever! I'm glad you enjoyed it! @Micahjaguar and I used her as a shared dragon and took turns writing it. It spilled over into so many other dragons' bios, many of whom aren't even on the site any more. Some days I think about gathering it all together and putting it in order, but ... eek. SO MUCH. :D

@Luthyx I've always kept random notes in one place or another. When I was a kid, I used to put scraps of stories in "write" files, and start a new file when they filled up. Because when I was a kid the max file size for the writing program I used was super-short, like 12 pages or so. Heh. I actually still have those. For a while I used an LJ for that, and now I mostly use Evernote or Google Docs when I want to brainstorm ideas..

@Amut I never thought I'd feel sorry for Kistern. Eeeeee. What's happening to your poor clan? O_O

@Karika Trad publishing is good too! Saves you on commissioning a cover if you can get someone to take it. :)

@SocialBookWorm Eeee, cursed & brainwashed kid!

@MawkishMuse Welcome to the chat! It's okay, we all started out as shy stalkers once ... yeah that doesn't come out any better when I say it, does it? o_o;;

Also, yay for new li'l dragons! I like writing stories around the babies sometimes too.

@TheDragonsQueen Hi Iris! There, now the gang's all here and we can get started. :D Grats on wrapping up your outline! I love having a complete outline to work from. Right now, whenever I finish one scene, I just look up my outline for what's next and dive right in. None of that "urrrgh I don't know what comes next blaaaah" feeling.

And yay for Arcane Sprite and gened dragons! Someday I will complete my set of familiars. (Except for Boolean and the KS ones, which are NOPE not happening.) But for the rest: someday! I've even been leveling dragons in the Golem Workshop so I will have that super-rare shot at the Workshop boss mob familiars.

3000 words for today and I am definitely feeling the groove. The Sun Etherium is at 7600 words now, which is pretty good given that I finished the outline on Monday and took Tuesday off to read @micahjaguar's newest manuscript. (Cantor of Pearls is wonderful and you should buy it the second it comes out and also buy Thief of Songs RIGHT NOW if you haven't yet just sayin'.)

Anyway, I am still in that glorious new-book-smell stage and everything is puppies and kittens and chocolate and I love life and everyone in it lalalalala writing is my drug of choice and I will be crashing from this high any day now.

Yep.
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@Paintminion

So I only just realised that you had a wise old quote there. This is what happens when I try to read and respond to things in the middle of the night. It's a good quote. his whole bio is excellent actually.

I'm about to write a bio for one of my dragons, to satisfy your prompting ^-^ write write write~

@MawkishMuse

Hello hello! welcome to the chat~ no need for shyness. We don't bite here, though I must admit that stalking is indeed a past-time of mine. *sniggers*
seriously though, it's nice to meet you :)

confidence in your work comes with time. I should know, I'm still building mine haha. We'll all get there some time!

@TheDragonsQueen

Hello! I've missed hearing about your dragon adventures thes past weeks :D
What are these promo graphics you mentioned? Was their a lot of work involved?I like picture things. Congrats on getting the Arcane Sprite! I just managed to pay off a payment plan for Archivist's Spellscroll, myself, (and then dived right into one for Frigid Fugitive Shackles XD) But it's so exciting that you're getting all the closer to getting all the sprites.

Congrats on finishing the outline for your story! That's awesome :D I hope that it behaves for you when you get around to writing it for NaNo. <3

I hope that you'll be able to find a job soon too. I mean, I'm not in a 'small town' quite, but it's also not a big city haha so it's still tricky. I mainly just have to be willing to travel a bit :3

@LadyRowyn

That's true, though I don't mind commissioning my friend either. She's new to the 'business' side of her art and I like the idea of supporting her and benefiting from her great work at the same time hehe. She's actually currently working on illistrating a book for a published author friend of hers, so that's exciting too. If her work gains some reputation on it's own, it might attract more people to my story :P

*cheers you on*
Go go go! keep up that writing pace! You're doing great. Woo hoo! <3

---

I have so many new dragons in my lair right now, that I'm excited to write lore for them all asap.
I now have not one, but three 6-digit dragons, so of course they're really old and wise and will probably end up as a decent coli team for me. But the first page of my lair is currently ordered by age, and not one of them is over 7 digits. I started an obsession for old dragons and can't help myself.

Some of them I'm going to fit in lore-wise, but others I'm actually using as projects. I'm going to make them pretty and train them/give them lore and then give them to newbies for free so theyt can have an older dragon to skulk around their lairs for however long it pleases them :3

So many projects, so little time...

@Paintminion

So I only just realised that you had a wise old quote there. This is what happens when I try to read and respond to things in the middle of the night. It's a good quote. his whole bio is excellent actually.

I'm about to write a bio for one of my dragons, to satisfy your prompting ^-^ write write write~

@MawkishMuse

Hello hello! welcome to the chat~ no need for shyness. We don't bite here, though I must admit that stalking is indeed a past-time of mine. *sniggers*
seriously though, it's nice to meet you :)

confidence in your work comes with time. I should know, I'm still building mine haha. We'll all get there some time!

@TheDragonsQueen

Hello! I've missed hearing about your dragon adventures thes past weeks :D
What are these promo graphics you mentioned? Was their a lot of work involved?I like picture things. Congrats on getting the Arcane Sprite! I just managed to pay off a payment plan for Archivist's Spellscroll, myself, (and then dived right into one for Frigid Fugitive Shackles XD) But it's so exciting that you're getting all the closer to getting all the sprites.

Congrats on finishing the outline for your story! That's awesome :D I hope that it behaves for you when you get around to writing it for NaNo. <3

I hope that you'll be able to find a job soon too. I mean, I'm not in a 'small town' quite, but it's also not a big city haha so it's still tricky. I mainly just have to be willing to travel a bit :3

@LadyRowyn

That's true, though I don't mind commissioning my friend either. She's new to the 'business' side of her art and I like the idea of supporting her and benefiting from her great work at the same time hehe. She's actually currently working on illistrating a book for a published author friend of hers, so that's exciting too. If her work gains some reputation on it's own, it might attract more people to my story :P

*cheers you on*
Go go go! keep up that writing pace! You're doing great. Woo hoo! <3

---

I have so many new dragons in my lair right now, that I'm excited to write lore for them all asap.
I now have not one, but three 6-digit dragons, so of course they're really old and wise and will probably end up as a decent coli team for me. But the first page of my lair is currently ordered by age, and not one of them is over 7 digits. I started an obsession for old dragons and can't help myself.

Some of them I'm going to fit in lore-wise, but others I'm actually using as projects. I'm going to make them pretty and train them/give them lore and then give them to newbies for free so theyt can have an older dragon to skulk around their lairs for however long it pleases them :3

So many projects, so little time...

DmRdZYl.png
@jurobii

Thank you! It took a lot of saving to get it (and more than one failed attempt at trying to buy one even) but I'm so happy that I finally got my sprite :D

I really understand that, my list of dragons to gene is so incredibly long. And it just keeps growing haha, my poor dragon wallet. So many dragons to gene xD;;;

@Luthyx

I look forward to reading it!

@LadyRowyn

Sometimes I really enjoy just writing whatever comes to mind for certain stories, so this is going to be a pretty interesting process once I start writing.

I have the same goal! Although, my will to get a Light Sprite is probably not strong enough to get it in the end because it's going to cost so much more than all the others <-<;;; Though, one of my best friends has the goal of completing her bestiary and that is a very lofty goal considering Boolean's are so rarely sold.

@Karika

Haha, I have many new dragon adventures in the process now. Besides crafting my Flight Reps (who are quite different from the usual ones I suppose?) I've been trying to get a set of dragons to help create a dream dragon of mine. I believe the hardest part is going to be getting not just the right colors, but scaling up the breed rarity tiers to get this Wildclaw girl.

Those promo graphics would be this graphic here and this one here! I'm very proud of both of them, it was a lot of fun learning how to make them. I'm trying to figure out what else would be a good promo type to make since we also have picspams (and I think regular promo pictures? I'll have to ask). I like having a diverse arsenal of things to use to promote this RP once it finally gets closer to being up and running, so I've been trying to decide what else I could make.

Congratulations on getting the Spellscroll, and good luck on getting those Shackles!

Haha, you and me both friend.

Small towns are hard to find jobs in, but perhaps I'll get lucky soon enough!
@jurobii

Thank you! It took a lot of saving to get it (and more than one failed attempt at trying to buy one even) but I'm so happy that I finally got my sprite :D

I really understand that, my list of dragons to gene is so incredibly long. And it just keeps growing haha, my poor dragon wallet. So many dragons to gene xD;;;

@Luthyx

I look forward to reading it!

@LadyRowyn

Sometimes I really enjoy just writing whatever comes to mind for certain stories, so this is going to be a pretty interesting process once I start writing.

I have the same goal! Although, my will to get a Light Sprite is probably not strong enough to get it in the end because it's going to cost so much more than all the others <-<;;; Though, one of my best friends has the goal of completing her bestiary and that is a very lofty goal considering Boolean's are so rarely sold.

@Karika

Haha, I have many new dragon adventures in the process now. Besides crafting my Flight Reps (who are quite different from the usual ones I suppose?) I've been trying to get a set of dragons to help create a dream dragon of mine. I believe the hardest part is going to be getting not just the right colors, but scaling up the breed rarity tiers to get this Wildclaw girl.

Those promo graphics would be this graphic here and this one here! I'm very proud of both of them, it was a lot of fun learning how to make them. I'm trying to figure out what else would be a good promo type to make since we also have picspams (and I think regular promo pictures? I'll have to ask). I like having a diverse arsenal of things to use to promote this RP once it finally gets closer to being up and running, so I've been trying to decide what else I could make.

Congratulations on getting the Spellscroll, and good luck on getting those Shackles!

Haha, you and me both friend.

Small towns are hard to find jobs in, but perhaps I'll get lucky soon enough!
topleftsig.pngtoprightsig.png
bottomleftsig.pngbottomrightsig.png
@LadyRowyn @Karika

Aww, thank you guys for the welcome! ;v; I'll continue to stalk the forum and read, write, and review where I can! (Hopefully I'll get myself back to working on my clan lore in the behind the scenes)
@LadyRowyn @Karika

Aww, thank you guys for the welcome! ;v; I'll continue to stalk the forum and read, write, and review where I can! (Hopefully I'll get myself back to working on my clan lore in the behind the scenes)
A gentle soul who likes to help new players. Also called Mawk.

@TheDragonsQueen

Oh wow. That is one gorgeous wildclaw! good luck in getting her. <3 It will certainly be hard, but definitely worth the effort for something as pretty as she is.

Very nice graphics :D you've done a great job of them! *claps*
I wish I had some suggestions for you but I don't know anything about graphics and promotions haha, so I'm o help at all.

Thank you! and well, I have the shackles now too (as well as 7 of the 11 sashes) please save me from myself I swear I have no self-control. haha. I still have to get the rest of the sashes and almost all of the newer festival apparel (from the year of the companion comet and seashell mantle *looks at LadyRowyn and sniggers* etc). Of course I still need the Sunchaser too. Once I have all the retired festival apparel I can slow down on my spending a bit haha.

I'll send you all the luck I can spare!
@TheDragonsQueen

Oh wow. That is one gorgeous wildclaw! good luck in getting her. <3 It will certainly be hard, but definitely worth the effort for something as pretty as she is.

Very nice graphics :D you've done a great job of them! *claps*
I wish I had some suggestions for you but I don't know anything about graphics and promotions haha, so I'm o help at all.

Thank you! and well, I have the shackles now too (as well as 7 of the 11 sashes) please save me from myself I swear I have no self-control. haha. I still have to get the rest of the sashes and almost all of the newer festival apparel (from the year of the companion comet and seashell mantle *looks at LadyRowyn and sniggers* etc). Of course I still need the Sunchaser too. Once I have all the retired festival apparel I can slow down on my spending a bit haha.

I'll send you all the luck I can spare!
DmRdZYl.png
@Karika
Your old dragon obsession sounds a lot like what I want to get myself into haha. I personally have an interest in old dergs as well, but i don't have the funds to buy many of them ;u; plus my fandragons are already burning my wallet from the inside out

What sorts of ideas do you have for them lore-wise? I'm really curious!

@LadyRowyn
I don't have much experience at all with writing, so i'm not surprised if my ideas are extremely overused xD I do want to keep on improving though, so I'll just write more and see where that gets me!

@TheDragonsQueen
And meanwhile, writing lore is free (or at least, it doesn't require one to spend currency :')) so i'll just keep writing lore for the rest of my dragons while waiting for the funds to buy all them genes c:

---

On a sidenote, I just settled my clan lore - my clan is now a Wind-Fire founded clan which does metalworking/blacksmith/forging things and gifts them to other clans! I actually wanted a Plague-Wind based thing, but i couldn't come up with anything so i settled with Wind and Fire x3

I also added two Fae siblings to my lair, and i'm really excited because i finished writing their lore and they are now blacksmith apprentices (bonus: they were at fodder price too!) :'D
@Karika
Your old dragon obsession sounds a lot like what I want to get myself into haha. I personally have an interest in old dergs as well, but i don't have the funds to buy many of them ;u; plus my fandragons are already burning my wallet from the inside out

What sorts of ideas do you have for them lore-wise? I'm really curious!

@LadyRowyn
I don't have much experience at all with writing, so i'm not surprised if my ideas are extremely overused xD I do want to keep on improving though, so I'll just write more and see where that gets me!

@TheDragonsQueen
And meanwhile, writing lore is free (or at least, it doesn't require one to spend currency :')) so i'll just keep writing lore for the rest of my dragons while waiting for the funds to buy all them genes c:

---

On a sidenote, I just settled my clan lore - my clan is now a Wind-Fire founded clan which does metalworking/blacksmith/forging things and gifts them to other clans! I actually wanted a Plague-Wind based thing, but i couldn't come up with anything so i settled with Wind and Fire x3

I also added two Fae siblings to my lair, and i'm really excited because i finished writing their lore and they are now blacksmith apprentices (bonus: they were at fodder price too!) :'D
IMG_3120.png
oh, gosh! The thread is already seven pages long!

I, too, have largely not been around. I was about to give up entirely, but the festival last month was FIRE, so I'm still here.

I think it's the feeling like I can't check anything off. There's so much more to collect and I'm never done. I'm never done getting familiars leveled, never done getting genes. And then there's a bunch of new colors so it feels like I have to overhaul my entire lair, which is ugh, so much effort. And they added more gathering levels, when I'd finally gotten everything to max and could just putter around gathering the few things I needed instead of grinding for the top.

I finished the first draft of my latest short story in The Young Lord's Servants series. It needs a title and editing, still. I'm plunking away at it a little at a time. When I'm not editing that story, I'm getting a new one started, with elves that raise gryphons. Here's the description of the main character:

"Lempi was a dunny elf, which meant that she had grey-blue skin with hints of red-brown, like a piece of slate, and clear eyes with only a hint of color, in her case, yellow-green. But she had beautiful red hair, and that meant she was lucky. Her mother wouldn’t let her cut it short, even though it was curly and hard to manage and fell in her face whenever it got loose. Lucky hair was a gift, and Lempi was supposed to be proud of it."

Also, we finally unpacked the rest of our books today, which means we discovered how much more shelf space we're going to need for them. Seriously, need more shelves.

It's not hoarding if it's books, right?

Hi, @jurobii! Don't worry if ideas are overused. Writing is like a muscle. You keep lifting the easy stuff, and you'll build up strength to go farther. I used to worry my writing was too derivitive. It probably was, but fortunately, I didn't stop writing back when I was a teenager. Keep learning, keep going.

@MawkishMuse Hello! Welcome!
oh, gosh! The thread is already seven pages long!

I, too, have largely not been around. I was about to give up entirely, but the festival last month was FIRE, so I'm still here.

I think it's the feeling like I can't check anything off. There's so much more to collect and I'm never done. I'm never done getting familiars leveled, never done getting genes. And then there's a bunch of new colors so it feels like I have to overhaul my entire lair, which is ugh, so much effort. And they added more gathering levels, when I'd finally gotten everything to max and could just putter around gathering the few things I needed instead of grinding for the top.

I finished the first draft of my latest short story in The Young Lord's Servants series. It needs a title and editing, still. I'm plunking away at it a little at a time. When I'm not editing that story, I'm getting a new one started, with elves that raise gryphons. Here's the description of the main character:

"Lempi was a dunny elf, which meant that she had grey-blue skin with hints of red-brown, like a piece of slate, and clear eyes with only a hint of color, in her case, yellow-green. But she had beautiful red hair, and that meant she was lucky. Her mother wouldn’t let her cut it short, even though it was curly and hard to manage and fell in her face whenever it got loose. Lucky hair was a gift, and Lempi was supposed to be proud of it."

Also, we finally unpacked the rest of our books today, which means we discovered how much more shelf space we're going to need for them. Seriously, need more shelves.

It's not hoarding if it's books, right?

Hi, @jurobii! Don't worry if ideas are overused. Writing is like a muscle. You keep lifting the easy stuff, and you'll build up strength to go farther. I used to worry my writing was too derivitive. It probably was, but fortunately, I didn't stop writing back when I was a teenager. Keep learning, keep going.

@MawkishMuse Hello! Welcome!
@AlphaRaposa
Wise advice indeed. I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Thanks a lot :)

Your book sounds very interesting! After all, who doesn't like elves and gryphons? :') what's the series about?
@AlphaRaposa
Wise advice indeed. I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Thanks a lot :)

Your book sounds very interesting! After all, who doesn't like elves and gryphons? :') what's the series about?
IMG_3120.png
@AlphaRaposa
I'm a fan of that character description so far. ;v; You've got me hooked and curious, so I'm with Jurobii! I'd love to hear more about this series.
No, hoarding books is fine. Books aren't picky, they don't mind when you don't have room for them. They'll just take up your walking space when the shelves are full. No problem. ^^ Happens to us all.
@AlphaRaposa
I'm a fan of that character description so far. ;v; You've got me hooked and curious, so I'm with Jurobii! I'd love to hear more about this series.
No, hoarding books is fine. Books aren't picky, they don't mind when you don't have room for them. They'll just take up your walking space when the shelves are full. No problem. ^^ Happens to us all.
A gentle soul who likes to help new players. Also called Mawk.

@jurobii The Young Lord's Servants is a series of short stories about a pair of boys who serve a dragon lord. You can find the first story here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QB4SFGK The whole series is enrolled in KDP Select, so if you have Amazon Prime, you can read for free.

@MawkishMuse The elf/gryphon story is planned as a YA novel about Lempi, who finds a wild gryphon egg and raises the hatchling. I'm sketching out the world as I write, so a lot of the setting is still fluid in my brain. So far, I know there's three kinds of elves, with different appearances and capabilities. There's a number of different gryphon types, some wild, some bred. There are monsters at the edges of civilization, but things are fairly peaceful at the heart.
@jurobii The Young Lord's Servants is a series of short stories about a pair of boys who serve a dragon lord. You can find the first story here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QB4SFGK The whole series is enrolled in KDP Select, so if you have Amazon Prime, you can read for free.

@MawkishMuse The elf/gryphon story is planned as a YA novel about Lempi, who finds a wild gryphon egg and raises the hatchling. I'm sketching out the world as I write, so a lot of the setting is still fluid in my brain. So far, I know there's three kinds of elves, with different appearances and capabilities. There's a number of different gryphon types, some wild, some bred. There are monsters at the edges of civilization, but things are fairly peaceful at the heart.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 22