Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers of September
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22
@SocialBookWorm
I cannot, for the life of me, do world-building *^* i admire that part of you! I'm way too lazy and uncreative, so making an entirely new thing out of nothing isn't for me :P i prefer instead to write really vague descriptives, and leave the interpretation to the reader :D

And as for your 'inability' to write short stories.. May I suggest drabbles? Drabbles are stories typically less than 500 words, and I find it really useful in exposing myself to writing new types of things, without the stress of it having to be long or complete :>

@PlatinumDream
Ah, same. I rarely ever dedicate time to writing, if I'm honest? I just write bits here and there and it somehow just adds up c: and don't worry about the rustiness i guess? The writing ability is definitely still within you, it just needs to be warmed up a little, and you'll be up and about in no time at all :D
@SocialBookWorm
I cannot, for the life of me, do world-building *^* i admire that part of you! I'm way too lazy and uncreative, so making an entirely new thing out of nothing isn't for me :P i prefer instead to write really vague descriptives, and leave the interpretation to the reader :D

And as for your 'inability' to write short stories.. May I suggest drabbles? Drabbles are stories typically less than 500 words, and I find it really useful in exposing myself to writing new types of things, without the stress of it having to be long or complete :>

@PlatinumDream
Ah, same. I rarely ever dedicate time to writing, if I'm honest? I just write bits here and there and it somehow just adds up c: and don't worry about the rustiness i guess? The writing ability is definitely still within you, it just needs to be warmed up a little, and you'll be up and about in no time at all :D
IMG_3120.png
@jurobii I hope so x.x
@jurobii I hope so x.x
__water.gif
Plat • She/Any • FR+2 • Vistas: 124/135 • Avatar (likes?)
WaterDom DataSales TabG1 BargainsWishlist
Droplet • Active exalter • Lore writer • Space enthusiast
Please Ping • DragCaveDappervolkPCE • Discord

_NtwBtfW.png
Last month's thread kinda petered out early, heh. Anyway, I am back, though nothing much to say.

I did get into Pokemon Go though (yes, i'm late to the party XP ), which I may regret later. XD; I still don't really know what I'm doing though, heh.
Last month's thread kinda petered out early, heh. Anyway, I am back, though nothing much to say.

I did get into Pokemon Go though (yes, i'm late to the party XP ), which I may regret later. XD; I still don't really know what I'm doing though, heh.
NOTE: Dergs in my lair with scries are just ideas, & are subject to change/not final.
nZJa3n3.png
@jurobii

I try, but well I just like the ideas I come up with way to much! Maybe putting an actual word limit on my writing would help. I'll try it. :D
@jurobii

I try, but well I just like the ideas I come up with way to much! Maybe putting an actual word limit on my writing would help. I'll try it. :D
c46cAiS.png
l74MzJv.png
Nothing planed this month. I start classes again after a few years of actually working...so now between full time work and part time school, I'm just going to sleep my extra time away.
Nothing planed this month. I start classes again after a few years of actually working...so now between full time work and part time school, I'm just going to sleep my extra time away.
axOkNaR.png
ZNhRsiG.png
@TiaDaWerecat The thread undying! @SadariEvenstar I'll miss summer and the long days, but it is nice to have the windows open and the A/C off. @Karika Welcome back! I vanished last month too, so no blame there. :) Sorry to hear the job hunt has not bee fruitful, though. Blah. Not being independently wealthy is so inconvenient. I'm glad you haven't abandoned your poor book! You've got 4 month ready to finish it up! You can do it! *\o/* Are you planning to self-pub or look for a trad publisher? @jurobii Welcome to the chat thread! Cool that you've got a clan lore idea you're looking forward to writing. There is nothing better than an exciting writing project! And your house-of-cards dragon story is creepy. O_O @micahjaguar I know what you mean about not making treasure as fast as you used to. I suspect for me, it's that I haven't been selling off my expensive retired items like I was for a little while. A couple of sprites sold go a looooong way. Also, I'm buying my lair up to the new max size again, so that's a lot of cash. Which I should probably try to finish doing this week while Light has dominance. @Azurenight If you enjoy reading, you are qualified to give feedback. *nods* @Neroelysium I am so bad at first person that the one time I used it, I ended up switching between a 1st person protag and two thrid-person protags. -_- @ShadesofCyan *giggles at your friend's elevator pitch* Sorry to hear your August got eaten by bears. D: I like your hospitable Shadow dragon! D'awww. I hope she has good luck with Shankar! @SapphireElegy Yay for productivity! Glad you're having fun with the second-person; I don't think I've ever written anything second-person, unless you count the occasional two-person scene on a MUCK. :D Honestly, one of the main things that keeps me coming back to FR is this chat. @SocialBookWorm Welcome to the chat! Hey, with two months left, you ought to be able to finish that almost-done first draft easy. Go to! *\o/* @lamarqueisdead Oooh, your angel/demon dragons remind me of a character concept I wrote up for a superhero game that never launched. SIGH. I still like the concept, too. He had a multiple-personality disorder, where one personality was the 'demon' that did all the attacking, and the other was the 'angelic' personality that did protection and healing. Except they were really the same person, so the 'demon' wasn't actually bad and the 'angel' wasn't perfect. @CrypticGirl Eee creepy stalker dragon! There is a character limit on dragon bios, but it's REALLY LONG. Filia hit it: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=1776841] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/17769/1776841_350.png[/img] [/url] @chibithulu Ooog, that's a rough initial reception. :( Writing is so fraught when you're just starting out. @paintminion Yes! I am hoping for that "this will seem less overwhelming if I do something else fun now instead." :) Not that the break is necessary for any abstract editing reason, but just because I don' wanna to work on it. And I'm writing for the long haul; I don't need to finish THIS PARTICULAR BOOK RIGHT NOW. As long as I'm working on something, my overall production isn't going to suffer for picking a different product to work on for a while. I see Korokku is not nearly the romantic that Tsuki is. D'aww! @PlatinumDream Surviving life always has to come first. -_- I couldn't write even half as much were it not for my smartphone! @Amut I noticed the thread last month was super quiet! We're almost up to its level on the first day of this thread. I know what you mean about "why write this if I can't post it?" :/ Although I did end up writing that one scene with Desire and Tristan and just sharing it off-site with a few people from the chat who asked. Heh. Kourin's story is so sad. v_v I hope the new Kourin does better than her predecessors! @VioletWhirlwind We are going to do better with the thread this month! And grats on getting into Pokemon Go! * On Micah's comment about "motivating yourself to write": I leveled up at "writing regularly" this year, and I find that it's much easier to keep myself at it now that I feel more professional. I don't know how much of that is internal motivation ("I know I can do this!") and how much is external ("and then I will get paid and people will tell me they like it!") It's true that I don't have high expectations of being read, though. My first book sold well, for a first-time self-published book, for the first couple of months, but that's still small numbers compared with a midlist trad-published book. But having some fans, even if it's not nearly to the "thousand true fans" level, is still better than having only a few friends who like you well enough to read your work. :) I also find it enormously helpful to have a friend like Micah. There are many many reasons for this, but one of them is that knowing that one of my friends can easily write four or five books in a year motivates me. I think "Well, if she can do ThAT, publishing ONE book a year should be something even I can do". And so here I am, having finished the draft of a book I started in 2006 and thought I'd never finish, and working on my third book for the year. And when I write "only" a thousand words in a day, I can tell myself "Hey, that's fine, because that's still two-three books a year. I'm not trying to be one of those crazy writers who publishes 5 books a year, after all." Except that I maybe am. But I can't tell myself that. I'd choke. O:) Though right now I am in the WRITING IS THE BEST AH THAT NEW BOOK SMELL stage with my current book. I had to drag myself away from it to post to the writer's chat thread, after 2500 words today. I am so excited about the current scene! And the book! And everything is fun and easy! And I go to work an hour late tomorrow (because I work late) so tomorrow morning I can WRITE MORE and isn't that the best? This blissful stage will pass, but I'll still keep working on it. It's a habit now, so even when I don't want to, it's not hard to keep going.
@TiaDaWerecat The thread undying!

@SadariEvenstar I'll miss summer and the long days, but it is nice to have the windows open and the A/C off.

@Karika Welcome back! I vanished last month too, so no blame there. :) Sorry to hear the job hunt has not bee fruitful, though. Blah. Not being independently wealthy is so inconvenient.

I'm glad you haven't abandoned your poor book! You've got 4 month ready to finish it up! You can do it! *\o/* Are you planning to self-pub or look for a trad publisher?

@jurobii Welcome to the chat thread! Cool that you've got a clan lore idea you're looking forward to writing. There is nothing better than an exciting writing project!

And your house-of-cards dragon story is creepy. O_O

@micahjaguar I know what you mean about not making treasure as fast as you used to. I suspect for me, it's that I haven't been selling off my expensive retired items like I was for a little while. A couple of sprites sold go a looooong way. Also, I'm buying my lair up to the new max size again, so that's a lot of cash. Which I should probably try to finish doing this week while Light has dominance.

@Azurenight If you enjoy reading, you are qualified to give feedback. *nods*

@Neroelysium I am so bad at first person that the one time I used it, I ended up switching between a 1st person protag and two thrid-person protags. -_-

@ShadesofCyan *giggles at your friend's elevator pitch* Sorry to hear your August got eaten by bears. D:

I like your hospitable Shadow dragon! D'awww. I hope she has good luck with Shankar!

@SapphireElegy Yay for productivity! Glad you're having fun with the second-person; I don't think I've ever written anything second-person, unless you count the occasional two-person scene on a MUCK. :D

Honestly, one of the main things that keeps me coming back to FR is this chat.

@SocialBookWorm Welcome to the chat! Hey, with two months left, you ought to be able to finish that almost-done first draft easy. Go to! *\o/*

@lamarqueisdead Oooh, your angel/demon dragons remind me of a character concept I wrote up for a superhero game that never launched. SIGH. I still like the concept, too. He had a multiple-personality disorder, where one personality was the 'demon' that did all the attacking, and the other was the 'angelic' personality that did protection and healing. Except they were really the same person, so the 'demon' wasn't actually bad and the 'angel' wasn't perfect.

@CrypticGirl Eee creepy stalker dragon!

There is a character limit on dragon bios, but it's REALLY LONG. Filia hit it:

1776841_350.png

@chibithulu Ooog, that's a rough initial reception. :( Writing is so fraught when you're just starting out.

@paintminion Yes! I am hoping for that "this will seem less overwhelming if I do something else fun now instead." :) Not that the break is necessary for any abstract editing reason, but just because I don' wanna to work on it. And I'm writing for the long haul; I don't need to finish THIS PARTICULAR BOOK RIGHT NOW. As long as I'm working on something, my overall production isn't going to suffer for picking a different product to work on for a while.

I see Korokku is not nearly the romantic that Tsuki is. D'aww!

@PlatinumDream Surviving life always has to come first. -_- I couldn't write even half as much were it not for my smartphone!

@Amut I noticed the thread last month was super quiet! We're almost up to its level on the first day of this thread.

I know what you mean about "why write this if I can't post it?" :/ Although I did end up writing that one scene with Desire and Tristan and just sharing it off-site with a few people from the chat who asked. Heh.

Kourin's story is so sad. v_v I hope the new Kourin does better than her predecessors!

@VioletWhirlwind We are going to do better with the thread this month! And grats on getting into Pokemon Go!

On Micah's comment about "motivating yourself to write": I leveled up at "writing regularly" this year, and I find that it's much easier to keep myself at it now that I feel more professional. I don't know how much of that is internal motivation ("I know I can do this!") and how much is external ("and then I will get paid and people will tell me they like it!") It's true that I don't have high expectations of being read, though. My first book sold well, for a first-time self-published book, for the first couple of months, but that's still small numbers compared with a midlist trad-published book. But having some fans, even if it's not nearly to the "thousand true fans" level, is still better than having only a few friends who like you well enough to read your work. :)

I also find it enormously helpful to have a friend like Micah. There are many many reasons for this, but one of them is that knowing that one of my friends can easily write four or five books in a year motivates me. I think "Well, if she can do ThAT, publishing ONE book a year should be something even I can do". And so here I am, having finished the draft of a book I started in 2006 and thought I'd never finish, and working on my third book for the year. And when I write "only" a thousand words in a day, I can tell myself "Hey, that's fine, because that's still two-three books a year. I'm not trying to be one of those crazy writers who publishes 5 books a year, after all."

Except that I maybe am. But I can't tell myself that. I'd choke. O:)

Though right now I am in the WRITING IS THE BEST AH THAT NEW BOOK SMELL stage with my current book. I had to drag myself away from it to post to the writer's chat thread, after 2500 words today. I am so excited about the current scene! And the book! And everything is fun and easy! And I go to work an hour late tomorrow (because I work late) so tomorrow morning I can WRITE MORE and isn't that the best?

This blissful stage will pass, but I'll still keep working on it. It's a habit now, so even when I don't want to, it's not hard to keep going.
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@LadyRowyn
Did you mean creepy in a good way (like ooh that story set the stage right!) or in a bad way (like eh that was creepy, never going to read it again)? I didn't really mean for it to be creepy, more like mysterious and up-to-your-interpretation, since that's how the song lyrics are like (i highly recommend listening to the song !)

It's so cool that you're writing a book irl though! That's a level of professionalism i'm afraid I'd never accomplish, lol ^^ i'm just this student who likes writing for fun, and although I like to think that i'm not too shabby, truth is that i still have a lot to improve on !
@LadyRowyn
Did you mean creepy in a good way (like ooh that story set the stage right!) or in a bad way (like eh that was creepy, never going to read it again)? I didn't really mean for it to be creepy, more like mysterious and up-to-your-interpretation, since that's how the song lyrics are like (i highly recommend listening to the song !)

It's so cool that you're writing a book irl though! That's a level of professionalism i'm afraid I'd never accomplish, lol ^^ i'm just this student who likes writing for fun, and although I like to think that i'm not too shabby, truth is that i still have a lot to improve on !
IMG_3120.png
@LadyRowyn

Yikes. Well, okay, it seems there's plenty of room for this stuff regardless, lol.
@LadyRowyn

Yikes. Well, okay, it seems there's plenty of room for this stuff regardless, lol.
@LadyRowyn

So agree with surrounding yourself with writers and good folks with good habits already established. That is what we have done in our area - we went from just Kelwyn and i, to hey, let's get a good nano group, and then we started doing a once a month meet at the local Panera to just all sit and write, and then we started an every Wednesday Nite Chatnano group - that we just continued inside and outside nano.

Now we have a core writers group of about 4 people and we do weekend retreats and have a private FB page, and we support each other towards the same goals - finishing our work and getting it out there. It took a while, but it's so rewarding to have that sort of group.

And NaNoWriMo of course :-) I became an ML last year, and will continue on this year - with my friends helping along the way.

So um, short answer - YES - find other writers like you and keep writing together! Good things happen. :-)
@LadyRowyn

So agree with surrounding yourself with writers and good folks with good habits already established. That is what we have done in our area - we went from just Kelwyn and i, to hey, let's get a good nano group, and then we started doing a once a month meet at the local Panera to just all sit and write, and then we started an every Wednesday Nite Chatnano group - that we just continued inside and outside nano.

Now we have a core writers group of about 4 people and we do weekend retreats and have a private FB page, and we support each other towards the same goals - finishing our work and getting it out there. It took a while, but it's so rewarding to have that sort of group.

And NaNoWriMo of course :-) I became an ML last year, and will continue on this year - with my friends helping along the way.

So um, short answer - YES - find other writers like you and keep writing together! Good things happen. :-)
An open book that reads Stories & Poetry MJ 24uZeuhOu.pngBk78Myp.pngLaSYQ19.gif8d7o509.png
@LadyRowen

I'll finish only if I don't get distract by other writing XD

Also I'll admit I just spent the last half hour reading Filia's Bio and I adore it. *Makes a goal to write Bio as long and well written as that*
@LadyRowen

I'll finish only if I don't get distract by other writing XD

Also I'll admit I just spent the last half hour reading Filia's Bio and I adore it. *Makes a goal to write Bio as long and well written as that*
c46cAiS.png
l74MzJv.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22