Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Harsh Critique [closed]
1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
@SamIamLuvDov
Sorry, this is almost a year late *sweats*

First off, the advice I always give is: Learn how to draw humans realistically before stylising. And the reason why I say this is because.... I can't think of a good example, but you can't make a carrot cake if you don't know what carrots are.
So try to familiarise yourself with human anatomy too. It'll make the cartoon part of your style improve too.

I thought your style would have changed and your art would've improved by now(since I'm so late!) so critiquing the drawings you posted here might be useless now.

Please ping me back so I can confirm if you want me to critique the original artworks or not :D
@SamIamLuvDov
Sorry, this is almost a year late *sweats*

First off, the advice I always give is: Learn how to draw humans realistically before stylising. And the reason why I say this is because.... I can't think of a good example, but you can't make a carrot cake if you don't know what carrots are.
So try to familiarise yourself with human anatomy too. It'll make the cartoon part of your style improve too.

I thought your style would have changed and your art would've improved by now(since I'm so late!) so critiquing the drawings you posted here might be useless now.

Please ping me back so I can confirm if you want me to critique the original artworks or not :D
tumblr_opn7kiKzTA1wnxxc9o1_100.pngfT9pA9Y.gifHW6ASYa.png07_SuperNinjaDragon.giftumblr_opn6d7mJiG1wnxxc9o1_100.png
@FelixMcTrashy Sorry, this is an extremely late reply... 8 months late to be precise. But I'm going to critique anyways: For your [url=https://68.media.tumblr.com/36fa9cef807d5eea34e86d676b1810f0/tumblr_otdn9sHlet1vv5rqao1_1280.png]first drawing[/url], I'm going to talk about the [b]shading [/b]first. The shading has a wobbly edge on the tail, and on certain details. Using 'correction' or similar while painting it in can help make lines smoother. You can also suggest a fur texture in your shading, instead of just blocking everything in. I can't find a good example, but here's a really fluffy dog(?): [img]https://pre00.deviantart.net/cd68/th/pre/f/2016/266/0/5/makeshift_bed_by_grypwolf-daim2va.png[/img] [u]The very warm colours in the shading may be too colourful, and will make sense if the background was similarly warm coloured. But since there is no background, I would suggest making a cooler shadow(more typical) or less colourful and desaturated.[/u] Also, the position of the tail looks stiff, and doesn't match with the flying pose of the dragon. The tail feathers/fluff also point downwards, as if the tail is still. I suggest making loose sketches that concentrate on [u]flow [/u]and [u]pose [/u]before making precise lineart. The eyebrow also looks a little strange. [u]Studying some expressions can be helpful[/u]: [img]https://maliphotographyreferences.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/screen-shot-2013-02-02-at-10-03-30-am.png[/img] Drawing the underlying body first then adding wings can make the position and proportions of limbs better too. Okay, on to the [url=https://68.media.tumblr.com/7672af8614d5ebf64424a6aeb30662f8/tumblr_otdn7z6XM81vv5rqao1_1280.png]second artwork[/url]! [b]Depth [/b]can be created by adding layers of trees in the background. A neat trick you can try is: Step 1 - Duplicate the dark green tree layer Step 2 - Colour the new layer in a colour between the sky colour and the dark green Step 3 - Move the layer to a new position so the trees are visible from behind the original ones Step 4 - Repeat steps 1-3, with trees further away having a more sky-coloured hue, and trees closer having the dark green hue Also, be careful when colouring lineart - the eye lineart blends into white of eye as it is a pale blue. It should be darkened to stand out from the head. Overall, both artworks have awesome perspective and a good understanding of anatomy - great job! :D I also personally love the character you drew, hehe :3
@FelixMcTrashy
Sorry, this is an extremely late reply... 8 months late to be precise. But I'm going to critique anyways:
For your first drawing, I'm going to talk about the shading first.
The shading has a wobbly edge on the tail, and on certain details. Using 'correction' or similar while painting it in can help make lines smoother.
You can also suggest a fur texture in your shading, instead of just blocking everything in. I can't find a good example, but here's a really fluffy dog(?):
makeshift_bed_by_grypwolf-daim2va.png
The very warm colours in the shading may be too colourful, and will make sense if the background was similarly warm coloured. But since there is no background, I would suggest making a cooler shadow(more typical) or less colourful and desaturated.

Also, the position of the tail looks stiff, and doesn't match with the flying pose of the dragon. The tail feathers/fluff also point downwards, as if the tail is still.
I suggest making loose sketches that concentrate on flow and pose before making precise lineart.

The eyebrow also looks a little strange. Studying some expressions can be helpful:
screen-shot-2013-02-02-at-10-03-30-am.png

Drawing the underlying body first then adding wings can make the position and proportions of limbs better too.

Okay, on to the second artwork!

Depth can be created by adding layers of trees in the background. A neat trick you can try is:
Step 1 - Duplicate the dark green tree layer
Step 2 - Colour the new layer in a colour between the sky colour and the dark green
Step 3 - Move the layer to a new position so the trees are visible from behind the original ones
Step 4 - Repeat steps 1-3, with trees further away having a more sky-coloured hue, and trees closer having the dark green hue

Also, be careful when colouring lineart - the eye lineart blends into white of eye as it is a pale blue. It should be darkened to stand out from the head.

Overall, both artworks have awesome perspective and a good understanding of anatomy - great job! :D I also personally love the character you drew, hehe :3
tumblr_opn7kiKzTA1wnxxc9o1_100.pngfT9pA9Y.gifHW6ASYa.png07_SuperNinjaDragon.giftumblr_opn6d7mJiG1wnxxc9o1_100.png
@faon Hello, hope you remember asking for critique 8 months ago XD I’m going to critique this [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1951130/45#post_28803268]artwork[/url], in case you forgot :) I think the only thing I need to talk about is the [u][b]lighting[/b] and [b]shading[/b], which are too vague.[/u] The lighting looks like glowy blurs and shadows are similarly blotches of darker colour. Since the aim of shading is too create a sense of depth - that the tundra is 3D - a more [b]detailed and contrasting way of shading[/b] can improve your artwork. For example: [img]https://heathtrippi.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/scanner-darkly-5.jpg[/img] And that’s it for my critique - I honestly can’t find anything else to pick on. Love your drawing - tundras are one of the hardest dragons to pull off well, but you did just that! Perspective and proportions are also tackled well :D
@faon
Hello, hope you remember asking for critique 8 months ago XD I’m going to critique this artwork, in case you forgot :)

I think the only thing I need to talk about is the lighting and shading, which are too vague.
The lighting looks like glowy blurs and shadows are similarly blotches of darker colour. Since the aim of shading is too create a sense of depth - that the tundra is 3D - a more detailed and contrasting way of shading can improve your artwork.
For example:
scanner-darkly-5.jpg
And that’s it for my critique - I honestly can’t find anything else to pick on.

Love your drawing - tundras are one of the hardest dragons to pull off well, but you did just that! Perspective and proportions are also tackled well :D
@Silverpine Thanks for being patient and waiting for over 2 months for critique of your [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1951130/47#post_31450604]artwork[/url]! Let's begin: Your lines are extremely thick, and this can compromise a lot of detail. Consider making lineart thinner in some places to accommodate any details. Where the ribbons hang around the wings of the fae, you could make it 'pop out' by making the lineart where they overlap the wings thicker - since ribbons have a certain thickness too! I can't really explain it clearly, so here is a comparison of a 3d bracelet vs a 2d bracelet [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UeU4BATsA14/UCpY78SBnpI/AAAAAAAAI_Q/YB1Sa-xNnj8/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-08-13+at+8.38.13+AM.png[/img] [img]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/de/2a/85/de2a859dfaabc5fd29ad226927fafc04--celtic-bracelet-wrist-band-tattoo.jpg[/img] (second one's a tattoo XD But the idea is that if both had lineart, you'll have lineart with a bracelet that sticks out on the sides vs one that seems to assimilate the bracelet into the skin: you don't want the ribbons in your drawing to look as flat as a tattoo!) I'm fond of your shading and style(I love how you did a subtle glow on the lineart), and I think the fae looks super cute! I'm thinking of buying something from your artshop once I save up enough treasure ;)
@Silverpine
Thanks for being patient and waiting for over 2 months for critique of your artwork! Let's begin:

Your lines are extremely thick, and this can compromise a lot of detail. Consider making lineart thinner in some places to accommodate any details.

Where the ribbons hang around the wings of the fae, you could make it 'pop out' by making the lineart where they overlap the wings thicker - since ribbons have a certain thickness too!
I can't really explain it clearly, so here is a comparison of a 3d bracelet vs a 2d bracelet
Screen+Shot+2012-08-13+at+8.38.13+AM.png
de2a859dfaabc5fd29ad226927fafc04--celtic-bracelet-wrist-band-tattoo.jpg
(second one's a tattoo XD But the idea is that if both had lineart, you'll have lineart with a bracelet that sticks out on the sides vs one that seems to assimilate the bracelet into the skin: you don't want the ribbons in your drawing to look as flat as a tattoo!)

I'm fond of your shading and style(I love how you did a subtle glow on the lineart), and I think the fae looks super cute! I'm thinking of buying something from your artshop once I save up enough treasure ;)
@Rav3nw1nged Going to be quick because I accidently closed my tab and lost all of what I wrote and am too sad to rewrite everything D: [LIST] [*]Rectangular shapes across eye are too perfect and should be created if someone looked at a row of windows - would otherwise remove the rectangles [*]Make tear duct of eye more defined [*]The iris is more like a cone shape with no base. Curl a piece of paper and look at it's base for reference while reading this to make what I'm saying clearer. Note that if there is light from above, a shadow occurs at the top and there is light at the bottom. This is like an eye - in fact, it's pretty similar to the eye you just drew! If light comes from the right side, shadow occur on the right side, light occurs on the left side, and so forth. A clear highlight should be seen near the shadowy part of the eye too. The highlight will also stand out more on the dark side, so not only is it factually correct, but it makes the eye look extra shiny! [img]https://innsupplies.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/a/water-cones-website.jpg[/img] [img]http://orig08.deviantart.net/d510/f/2009/140/4/9/beautiful_eye_4_by_erykucciola_stock.jpg[/img] [img]http://about-std.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dreamstime_s_11627134.jpg[/img][/LIST] I love the colours you chose for the artwork - it looks so nice :3 Great job on the eye! *thumbs up* Edit: Sorry, this is random, but... How'd you do your signature? It looks so cool and how did you do the links!?
@Rav3nw1nged
Going to be quick because I accidently closed my tab and lost all of what I wrote and am too sad to rewrite everything D:
  • Rectangular shapes across eye are too perfect and should be created if someone looked at a row of windows - would otherwise remove the rectangles
  • Make tear duct of eye more defined
  • The iris is more like a cone shape with no base. Curl a piece of paper and look at it's base for reference while reading this to make what I'm saying clearer.
    Note that if there is light from above, a shadow occurs at the top and there is light at the bottom. This is like an eye - in fact, it's pretty similar to the eye you just drew! If light comes from the right side, shadow occur on the right side, light occurs on the left side, and so forth. A clear highlight should be seen near the shadowy part of the eye too.
    The highlight will also stand out more on the dark side, so not only is it factually correct, but it makes the eye look extra shiny!
    water-cones-website.jpg
    beautiful_eye_4_by_erykucciola_stock.jpg
    dreamstime_s_11627134.jpg

I love the colours you chose for the artwork - it looks so nice :3 Great job on the eye! *thumbs up*

Edit: Sorry, this is random, but... How'd you do your signature? It looks so cool and how did you do the links!?
@SuperNinjaDragon Oh haha that's okay! I have actually improved a lot since then! ^^

If you're intrested in seeing what I've done now, check out my DA page! It's the animated gif link in my signature ^^
@SuperNinjaDragon Oh haha that's okay! I have actually improved a lot since then! ^^

If you're intrested in seeing what I've done now, check out my DA page! It's the animated gif link in my signature ^^
She/Her - Straight but not Narrow- Melanie Martinez Fan - +1 hour FR time - Feel free to click my links below! \/
SH1SQ3B.pngti8KfRS.png GOc109J.pngdl3RiWP.pnguntitled_by_samiamluvdov-dbpv3i7.gif
[center]@SuperNinjaDragon Ouch, I know the exact feeling... It's completely fine though, and it gets your point across a lot better imo ^^ Oh, and yes, the eye was looking at a row of windows, I forgot to mention that xD Thank you for the critique, it was really helpful! (now I know what to use for a reference :3) For the sig, I divided the picture into parts to be able to link different pieces of the picture to different places :) Since typing the [code][columns][/columns][/code] gives a sort of gap between 1, 3, 5 and 2, 4, 6, I decided to go with six different picture pieces, placing two in each row. [img]https://i.imgur.com/9pIpsjR.png[/img] All I needed to do now was link 3 and 5 to their respective links and link 2, 4 and 6 to the adopt shop that I bought the adopt from :D[/center]
@SuperNinjaDragon

Ouch, I know the exact feeling... It's completely fine though, and it gets your point across a lot better imo ^^

Oh, and yes, the eye was looking at a row of windows, I forgot to mention that xD

Thank you for the critique, it was really helpful! (now I know what to use for a reference :3)

For the sig, I divided the picture into parts to be able to link different pieces of the picture to different places :) Since typing the
Code:
[columns][/columns]
gives a sort of gap between 1, 3, 5 and 2, 4, 6, I decided to go with six different picture pieces, placing two in each row.

9pIpsjR.png

All I needed to do now was link 3 and 5 to their respective links and link 2, 4 and 6 to the adopt shop that I bought the adopt from :D
vkXTSNP.png ##

- FR+10
- wishlist
@SamIamLuvDov
Your art looks so nice~ I had fun scrolling through your Deviantart (especially love this one!) Would you like me to critique anything in particular at all? :)
@SamIamLuvDov
Your art looks so nice~ I had fun scrolling through your Deviantart (especially love this one!) Would you like me to critique anything in particular at all? :)
@SuperNinjaDragon
Oh thank you so much! I honestly had a lot of fun making that one and a lot of people really liked it too! ^^
Hm, I don't really have anything specific that I would like you to critique, but I suppose you can just give me some pointers you feel I should work on more and I'll keep it in mind! ^^
I will say that I already know I need to work on my anatomy, but is there anything else of mine that you think needs work.
@SuperNinjaDragon
Oh thank you so much! I honestly had a lot of fun making that one and a lot of people really liked it too! ^^
Hm, I don't really have anything specific that I would like you to critique, but I suppose you can just give me some pointers you feel I should work on more and I'll keep it in mind! ^^
I will say that I already know I need to work on my anatomy, but is there anything else of mine that you think needs work.
She/Her - Straight but not Narrow- Melanie Martinez Fan - +1 hour FR time - Feel free to click my links below! \/
SH1SQ3B.pngti8KfRS.png GOc109J.pngdl3RiWP.pnguntitled_by_samiamluvdov-dbpv3i7.gif
@SuperNinjaDragon EDIT: oh my gods i forgot i posted before-- if you want to skip this post, please feel free to do so. hello!! i want you to absolutely destroy a commission i did recently-- no mercy. please and thankyou!! (the eye glow is a little strange what the heck is going on there) [size=1]cartoon style[/size] [img]https://image.ibb.co/focke7/IMG_4915.png[/img]
@SuperNinjaDragon
EDIT: oh my gods i forgot i posted before-- if you want to skip this post, please feel free to do so.
hello!! i want you to absolutely destroy a commission i did recently-- no mercy. please and thankyou!! (the eye glow is a little strange what the heck is going on there)
cartoon style
IMG_4915.png
(f)art shoppe
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49