Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Firebreather
swords? swords? who can i kiss for this idea
swords? swords? who can i kiss for this idea
69.png
juga . he/him . fr+10
• lore
• adopt shop

• skin shop
looking for skin #38359
V2KflaL.png
@juga kiss the swords. SWORRDSSS
@juga kiss the swords. SWORRDSSS
Pyro [she/her]
Wishlist
Art shop
9e0957ca70ace63ed9a6bbea2659f58e1a66cdda.png
May I suggest lowering the price of festival skins if we're going to keep getting more? Festivals are expensive already, and there's a lot on the calendar.
May I suggest lowering the price of festival skins if we're going to keep getting more? Festivals are expensive already, and there's a lot on the calendar.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Oh snap
Oh snap
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
SWORDS
SWORDS
FR_signature_buttons_volt_2.pngFR_signature_buttons_intro.pngFR_signature_buttons_art_shop.pngFR_signature_buttons_wishlist.pngFR_signature_buttons_volt_small.png
What with the firebreather gene coming to some ancients, I suppose I can say that the devs have been ON FIRE lately!
What with the firebreather gene coming to some ancients, I suppose I can say that the devs have been ON FIRE lately!
4fDk2WySUrAvwAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png
fXqB1J8.png
And the monthly budget goes up for getting full skin set each fest [emoji=veilspun scared size=1] guess I gotta make more gold lol
And the monthly budget goes up for getting full skin set each fest guess I gotta make more gold lol
Ooh, I'm loving the idea of elemental swords! Very excited for hatchling skins too, though I'm a little bit worried about the rising costs of completionism as we're adding more and more skins to each festival. Which is a self-imposed 'problem', to be fair, but it's pretty hard to get fest skin chests from the site and 18 x 35kt isn't cheap.

@Undel, apologies for the tag, but I have a question/request. As the breeds available expand - and as the feature now exists - could it be possible for the ancient genes to be distributed from Festive Favors as a parchment instead of individual breeds? I would understand wanting it to be immediately apparent which breeds can use the gene, but the parchments are just so much more convenient than having to predict which projects you're going to have in advance and how many of which breeds you'll need.
Ooh, I'm loving the idea of elemental swords! Very excited for hatchling skins too, though I'm a little bit worried about the rising costs of completionism as we're adding more and more skins to each festival. Which is a self-imposed 'problem', to be fair, but it's pretty hard to get fest skin chests from the site and 18 x 35kt isn't cheap.

@Undel, apologies for the tag, but I have a question/request. As the breeds available expand - and as the feature now exists - could it be possible for the ancient genes to be distributed from Festive Favors as a parchment instead of individual breeds? I would understand wanting it to be immediately apparent which breeds can use the gene, but the parchments are just so much more convenient than having to predict which projects you're going to have in advance and how many of which breeds you'll need.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
[quote name="kiyote" date="2024-05-17 08:10:18" ] [quote name="Lumynox" date="2024-05-17 07:19:43" ] [quote name="MinosPhrime" date="2024-05-17 06:59:31" ] [quote name="closedcaptioning" date="2024-05-17 06:42:08" ] You guys, you can't act like scars are too adult or inappropriate. That's just a part of a body. It starts to teeter into ableism bc if you consider scars inappropriate what about people who just have them? It's not a wound, it's healed part of their body they have to live with forever. That's not gore that's just a reality people - including children - have to deal with. [/quote] I agree! I've always had a lot of scars as a child - not from violence, but from accidents. Burnt myself on a stove and such My classmates had them too I do find that rule a bit odd [/quote] I think it might be a concern about like...endorsing youth being beat up or hurt would be my guess , considering there's also no zombification or anything like that [/quote] thats not a good excuse though because that exact same sentiment is used in eugenic and ableist circles. “prsitine, clear skin” and all, you feel? [/quote] They are absolutely erring on the safe side of 'no violence against children.' Same with the zombies - it's the classic 'no killable kids in video games' rule. You do that and suddenly you're banned in several countries and forced to accept the most extreme maturity rating in others. It's a huge reach and [i]horribly[/i] in bad faith to claim the site is being ableist here. This is just basic EULA. The problem is that you can't really come up with clear, concise rules for common sense. I'm positive FR staff doesn't actually care about a hatchling skin with acne scars or a little burn mark, but how specifically are you going to define a rule that allows that but doesn't allow a hatchling with extensive bruising and facial wounds? Or, like, scrapes on the knee are okay, because the hatchling probably just fell down while playing, but bruises around the throat are incredibly not okay because we know what that implies. But then someone might create a bruised-throat hatchling skin and claim it's from something else... but it's still a hatchling with marks on its throat. It's all subjective, and in an area where content is created by users (who can and will sometimes act in bad faith) and not controlled by staff, this is an issue where no-tolerance rules have to be set, or else people are going to complain in the opposite direction, that they're being unfairly singled out and their content was stifled when [i]that[/i] person was allowed to get away with [i]that[/i] thing. It's why we can't have a skin on an adult dragon that's dribbling with a cold (which should be reasonable) because that same ruleset allowed for dragons to have super-graphic depictions of the bubonic plague (which is very reasonable that many people don't want to look at.) I have problems with the zero-tolerance implementation - I'm a plagueling! But I understand why it has to be a thing... the submissions for 2013-2014 Riot of Rot spoke for themselves. Glorification of idealized body image has absolutely nothing to do with this. It's 100% a ban on implied violence against children and they can't trust everybody not to skirt around softer, more understanding rules.
kiyote wrote on 2024-05-17 08:10:18:
Lumynox wrote on 2024-05-17 07:19:43:
MinosPhrime wrote on 2024-05-17 06:59:31:
closedcaptioning wrote on 2024-05-17 06:42:08:
You guys, you can't act like scars are too adult or inappropriate. That's just a part of a body. It starts to teeter into ableism bc if you consider scars inappropriate what about people who just have them? It's not a wound, it's healed part of their body they have to live with forever. That's not gore that's just a reality people - including children - have to deal with.

I agree! I've always had a lot of scars as a child - not from violence, but from accidents.
Burnt myself on a stove and such
My classmates had them too
I do find that rule a bit odd

I think it might be a concern about like...endorsing youth being beat up or hurt would be my guess , considering there's also no zombification or anything like that

thats not a good excuse though because that exact same sentiment is used in eugenic and ableist circles. “prsitine, clear skin” and all, you feel?
They are absolutely erring on the safe side of 'no violence against children.' Same with the zombies - it's the classic 'no killable kids in video games' rule. You do that and suddenly you're banned in several countries and forced to accept the most extreme maturity rating in others. It's a huge reach and horribly in bad faith to claim the site is being ableist here. This is just basic EULA.

The problem is that you can't really come up with clear, concise rules for common sense. I'm positive FR staff doesn't actually care about a hatchling skin with acne scars or a little burn mark, but how specifically are you going to define a rule that allows that but doesn't allow a hatchling with extensive bruising and facial wounds? Or, like, scrapes on the knee are okay, because the hatchling probably just fell down while playing, but bruises around the throat are incredibly not okay because we know what that implies. But then someone might create a bruised-throat hatchling skin and claim it's from something else... but it's still a hatchling with marks on its throat. It's all subjective, and in an area where content is created by users (who can and will sometimes act in bad faith) and not controlled by staff, this is an issue where no-tolerance rules have to be set, or else people are going to complain in the opposite direction, that they're being unfairly singled out and their content was stifled when that person was allowed to get away with that thing.

It's why we can't have a skin on an adult dragon that's dribbling with a cold (which should be reasonable) because that same ruleset allowed for dragons to have super-graphic depictions of the bubonic plague (which is very reasonable that many people don't want to look at.) I have problems with the zero-tolerance implementation - I'm a plagueling! But I understand why it has to be a thing... the submissions for 2013-2014 Riot of Rot spoke for themselves.

Glorification of idealized body image has absolutely nothing to do with this. It's 100% a ban on implied violence against children and they can't trust everybody not to skirt around softer, more understanding rules.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
The new rules for hatchling skins made me worried about Plague-themed ones. I know they didn't necessarily say anything about infections, parasitism, or body horror but considering that zombification and scars/wounds are banned, I wouldn't be surprised if the former qualities are quietly dismissed too.
The new rules for hatchling skins made me worried about Plague-themed ones. I know they didn't necessarily say anything about infections, parasitism, or body horror but considering that zombification and scars/wounds are banned, I wouldn't be surprised if the former qualities are quietly dismissed too.
CPbqbzR.png