Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Dominance issue
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15
[quote name="SilverQuark" date="2018-12-10 06:33:50" ] I find it interesting that the opinions against my proposal all came from Earth members except for one. Doesn't make them any less valid of course, but it's exactly what I expected. [/quote] @SilverQuark There are plenty of other people here who aren't in Earth but also don't support your suggestion. It's not fair/ constructive to imply bad things about the Earthies simply for also not supporting. I gave my support for some of your proposal, I also gave my reasons and alternative suggestions for those portions I did not support. (Having more lucrative rewards for exalting on an individual basis to encourage more players to participate would be better than punishing those who already take part).
SilverQuark wrote on 2018-12-10 06:33:50:
I find it interesting that the opinions against my proposal all came from Earth members except for one. Doesn't make them any less valid of course, but it's exactly what I expected.

@SilverQuark
There are plenty of other people here who aren't in Earth but also don't support your suggestion. It's not fair/ constructive to imply bad things about the Earthies simply for also not supporting.

I gave my support for some of your proposal, I also gave my reasons and alternative suggestions for those portions I did not support. (Having more lucrative rewards for exalting on an individual basis to encourage more players to participate would be better than punishing those who already take part).
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

another thing to remember is that dom leaders get fatigued and stressed, as well. running dom takes a lot of effort and time for literally no real reward irl - winning dom doesn't put food on the table, and most dom leaders are adults! - and as such, over time, dom teams tend to disband. sometimes the flight can recover easily, and sometimes it's vastly more difficult because the entire group of experienced leaders is too exhausted and essentially-newbies have to suddenly step up to the plate.

in addition, as a flight gains more and more dom traction, they stop being the favored underdog and start being actively worked against (see: plague & light have gone through this cycle already). earth going for quad dom is certainly going to skeer them in the line of "how dare you win so much" (not saying anyone in this thread is acting that way! just remarking about how culture on the site overall shifts). becoming a dom powerhouse is a tradeoff of OOF support. and while earth has a strong dom core, eventually people will exhaust of it.

so no, i don't think there's really an issue. i feel bad that a flight like shadow struggles to conquest against earth but - why would you pick such an unfair fight? if you know another flight is currently strong and you have a disadvantage, why should you battle against them? why not pick a different flight closer in size or scope?

because it sorta feels like this suggestion is about making earth and shadow on equal playing fields, and i guess just... why? if the majority of dom people are in earth and are pushing hard, why do they have to be handicapped so that the small core of dom people in shadow can fight them? i mean yeah it sucks when you don't get a lot of dom, but i'm genuinely confused.

i suppose this makes some flights "untouchable" in conquest, but that's always the sort of cycle that's offered. light was untouchable until earth dethroned them as powerhouse. plague similarly was dethroned by light way back when. it's just part of the cycle - a flight becomes powerful until the beloved underdog defeats them.

i don't like the idea of making the ratios depend on active exalters. there'd be a lot of people piggybacking off a few other people's success, and i think it'd be way too easy to abuse (just funnel all of a flight's dragons to a small handful of "exalter" accounts).

big no support to the first suggestion in the op. don't punish people for winning. i'm iffy on the second one because i think it's neater that fest pushes were a player-made cultural thing that we uphold, and i think suddenly making it site-forced takes away from the culture that we created around it.

at best i support a slight increase to dom fatigue but i don't really want to see any changes.

EDIT: well count me as a non-earth player in opposition then lol
EDIT2: i know light lost to earth once before, but they were still pretty firmly in "beloved underdog" category back then, and light was seen as the primary powerhouse. (earth was more up-and-coming, iirc). the general opinion of both flights has shifted since then and i would especially be interested in seeing a rematch.
another thing to remember is that dom leaders get fatigued and stressed, as well. running dom takes a lot of effort and time for literally no real reward irl - winning dom doesn't put food on the table, and most dom leaders are adults! - and as such, over time, dom teams tend to disband. sometimes the flight can recover easily, and sometimes it's vastly more difficult because the entire group of experienced leaders is too exhausted and essentially-newbies have to suddenly step up to the plate.

in addition, as a flight gains more and more dom traction, they stop being the favored underdog and start being actively worked against (see: plague & light have gone through this cycle already). earth going for quad dom is certainly going to skeer them in the line of "how dare you win so much" (not saying anyone in this thread is acting that way! just remarking about how culture on the site overall shifts). becoming a dom powerhouse is a tradeoff of OOF support. and while earth has a strong dom core, eventually people will exhaust of it.

so no, i don't think there's really an issue. i feel bad that a flight like shadow struggles to conquest against earth but - why would you pick such an unfair fight? if you know another flight is currently strong and you have a disadvantage, why should you battle against them? why not pick a different flight closer in size or scope?

because it sorta feels like this suggestion is about making earth and shadow on equal playing fields, and i guess just... why? if the majority of dom people are in earth and are pushing hard, why do they have to be handicapped so that the small core of dom people in shadow can fight them? i mean yeah it sucks when you don't get a lot of dom, but i'm genuinely confused.

i suppose this makes some flights "untouchable" in conquest, but that's always the sort of cycle that's offered. light was untouchable until earth dethroned them as powerhouse. plague similarly was dethroned by light way back when. it's just part of the cycle - a flight becomes powerful until the beloved underdog defeats them.

i don't like the idea of making the ratios depend on active exalters. there'd be a lot of people piggybacking off a few other people's success, and i think it'd be way too easy to abuse (just funnel all of a flight's dragons to a small handful of "exalter" accounts).

big no support to the first suggestion in the op. don't punish people for winning. i'm iffy on the second one because i think it's neater that fest pushes were a player-made cultural thing that we uphold, and i think suddenly making it site-forced takes away from the culture that we created around it.

at best i support a slight increase to dom fatigue but i don't really want to see any changes.

EDIT: well count me as a non-earth player in opposition then lol
EDIT2: i know light lost to earth once before, but they were still pretty firmly in "beloved underdog" category back then, and light was seen as the primary powerhouse. (earth was more up-and-coming, iirc). the general opinion of both flights has shifted since then and i would especially be interested in seeing a rematch.
NY105Sx.gif
[quote name="EclipseDragon" date="2018-12-10 06:21:56" ] I would like to see a tiered reward system for exalting dragons. I believe making exalting more lucrative on an individual basis would be better for the site economy (clears more dragons out) and would encourage more players who otherwise wouldn't participate in exalting to take part (and dominance as a result). I believe this would be enough to shake up the leaderboard without punishing players who already enjoy dom. [/quote] Like [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/261834]Fayd's overhaul[/url]? I'd support that.
EclipseDragon wrote on 2018-12-10 06:21:56:
I would like to see a tiered reward system for exalting dragons. I believe making exalting more lucrative on an individual basis would be better for the site economy (clears more dragons out) and would encourage more players who otherwise wouldn't participate in exalting to take part (and dominance as a result). I believe this would be enough to shake up the leaderboard without punishing players who already enjoy dom.

Like Fayd's overhaul? I'd support that.
[quote name="gootarts" date="2018-12-10 09:16:33" ] [quote name="EclipseDragon" date="2018-12-10 06:21:56" ] I would like to see a tiered reward system for exalting dragons. I believe making exalting more lucrative on an individual basis would be better for the site economy (clears more dragons out) and would encourage more players who otherwise wouldn't participate in exalting to take part (and dominance as a result). I believe this would be enough to shake up the leaderboard without punishing players who already enjoy dom. [/quote] Like [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/261834]Fayd's overhaul[/url]? I'd support that. [/quote] YES! I was thinking of exactly that but couldn't remember the name. Thank you so much for linking it.
gootarts wrote on 2018-12-10 09:16:33:
EclipseDragon wrote on 2018-12-10 06:21:56:
I would like to see a tiered reward system for exalting dragons. I believe making exalting more lucrative on an individual basis would be better for the site economy (clears more dragons out) and would encourage more players who otherwise wouldn't participate in exalting to take part (and dominance as a result). I believe this would be enough to shake up the leaderboard without punishing players who already enjoy dom.

Like Fayd's overhaul? I'd support that.

YES! I was thinking of exactly that but couldn't remember the name. Thank you so much for linking it.
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

Full support on giving the first spot to celebrating flight

Support on increasing the fatigue, but banning a flight from receiving dom sounds unfair
Full support on giving the first spot to celebrating flight

Support on increasing the fatigue, but banning a flight from receiving dom sounds unfair
KreseKaleiSign.png

Also visit:
Light Dom Shop
#Unnamedisvalid
My Challenges
Dragons for Sale
[quote name="SilverQuark" date="2018-12-10 06:33:50" ] I find it interesting that the opinions against my proposal all came from Earth members except for one. Doesn't make them any less valid of course, but it's exactly what I expected. [/quote] A gross oversimplification. Dom enthusiasts are flocking to Earth right now. They could have come from anywhere, from Arcane, from Light, from Wind. This suggestion is about nerfing the efforts of the passionate few. What you're getting here isn't a split between the other 10 flights and Earth, it's a split between people who are passionate about competition and those who are not.
SilverQuark wrote on 2018-12-10 06:33:50:
I find it interesting that the opinions against my proposal all came from Earth members except for one. Doesn't make them any less valid of course, but it's exactly what I expected.

A gross oversimplification. Dom enthusiasts are flocking to Earth right now. They could have come from anywhere, from Arcane, from Light, from Wind. This suggestion is about nerfing the efforts of the passionate few. What you're getting here isn't a split between the other 10 flights and Earth, it's a split between people who are passionate about competition and those who are not.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
I am against a dom cooldown and against giving flights their festival weeks. I don't even support more fatigue. I understand it is frustrating to see a flight get dom over and over, but it's not like they are coasting and not doing anything and winning solely because of a bad ratio. They are actively exalting dragons. Apparently each of their members on average are exalting a lot of dragons. And spending the effort and exalting should be rewarded. I wouldn't want dom doled out evenly, because it should be the result of effort, not whose turn it is.

One of the main problems, as someone mentioned, is that flights aren't pushing as much as they used to push. I'm not even talking just fewer full on conquests, but also profit pushes. Which means more open weeks. Which, in turn, means flights with a strong base of exalters will win, more likely than not.

As someone earlier said, this is a result of people getting to choose where they want to go. A bunch of people who are competitive and/or who exalt a lot moved to Earth. They shouldn't have their work devalued. At some point people in Earth will likely stop playing or drift to other flights. Just as has seemed to have happened at least to some extent to Plague and Light and Ice before them. Dom powerhouses tend to cycle.
I am against a dom cooldown and against giving flights their festival weeks. I don't even support more fatigue. I understand it is frustrating to see a flight get dom over and over, but it's not like they are coasting and not doing anything and winning solely because of a bad ratio. They are actively exalting dragons. Apparently each of their members on average are exalting a lot of dragons. And spending the effort and exalting should be rewarded. I wouldn't want dom doled out evenly, because it should be the result of effort, not whose turn it is.

One of the main problems, as someone mentioned, is that flights aren't pushing as much as they used to push. I'm not even talking just fewer full on conquests, but also profit pushes. Which means more open weeks. Which, in turn, means flights with a strong base of exalters will win, more likely than not.

As someone earlier said, this is a result of people getting to choose where they want to go. A bunch of people who are competitive and/or who exalt a lot moved to Earth. They shouldn't have their work devalued. At some point people in Earth will likely stop playing or drift to other flights. Just as has seemed to have happened at least to some extent to Plague and Light and Ice before them. Dom powerhouses tend to cycle.
i think that it should be like, based on the size of the flight

but otherwise, support!
i think that it should be like, based on the size of the flight

but otherwise, support!
8zPfs6i.gifWsu3XA9.gifT0whsPx.gifIgg8mPI.gifv0CPm88.pngX5bisuN.gif6Fwt9Qr.gif9mjyPzr.png
No support for either.

I echo everyone's sentiments that it's frustrating a flight is currently holding dom for the 4th week in a row. But I'm bothered by it more so because it seems Earth is untouchable by fatigue or any other flight. I don't think a dominance cool down is the way to fix it, and I don't think it's fair either. The flights who work the hardest should get the rewards. I know for smaller flights or larger flights who can't achieve dominance often this is frustrating, but handing it to them isn't the way to fix it either.

The playerbase took dominance and ran with it in a totally unexpected way. I think it's obvious the way we do dominance was not expected, maybe it wasn't even expected that dominance would become such an appealing mechanic as it is. But it's not fair to the flights that work hard to bar them from getting the benefits to hand it to flights who don't work as hard or don't care as much.

I agree something needs to be fixed, but I don't think this is getting to the heart of the problem.

I also disagree with automatically giving flights their festival week for dominance. Part of the reason the tradition is so nice is because it's a purely player decided act. I don't think the argument of "flights can spend their resources elsewhere" is really valid because, again, we do dominance in a way I don't think was ever expected. Spending resources on a festival dom is reimbursing the other ten flights for letting you have the week. They're giving up benefits and potential money from exalting to back off and let the celebrating flight have their week.

Light got triple dom off of their festival week. Earth is heading towards a potential quadruple off of their festival week. Obviously, it's not a universal problem that flight banks are heavily drained after festivals, so I don't think that argument can be sustained either. Nor do I think we can argue for it based off the fact that dom leaders are adults with lives. Being a dom leader is voluntary, not forced. It's ultimately that person's choice to put so much into this website.

edit: after reading some other replies, I'll also add that I think a big problem is earth is literally untouchable. Every other powerhouse before this simply seemed untouchable; They reigned because they had the best tactics. If you stepped to them hard enough, you could knock them down, like LvN3 (Even if Light did win). Earth is actually untouchable due to what seems like internal site mechanic issues.
No support for either.

I echo everyone's sentiments that it's frustrating a flight is currently holding dom for the 4th week in a row. But I'm bothered by it more so because it seems Earth is untouchable by fatigue or any other flight. I don't think a dominance cool down is the way to fix it, and I don't think it's fair either. The flights who work the hardest should get the rewards. I know for smaller flights or larger flights who can't achieve dominance often this is frustrating, but handing it to them isn't the way to fix it either.

The playerbase took dominance and ran with it in a totally unexpected way. I think it's obvious the way we do dominance was not expected, maybe it wasn't even expected that dominance would become such an appealing mechanic as it is. But it's not fair to the flights that work hard to bar them from getting the benefits to hand it to flights who don't work as hard or don't care as much.

I agree something needs to be fixed, but I don't think this is getting to the heart of the problem.

I also disagree with automatically giving flights their festival week for dominance. Part of the reason the tradition is so nice is because it's a purely player decided act. I don't think the argument of "flights can spend their resources elsewhere" is really valid because, again, we do dominance in a way I don't think was ever expected. Spending resources on a festival dom is reimbursing the other ten flights for letting you have the week. They're giving up benefits and potential money from exalting to back off and let the celebrating flight have their week.

Light got triple dom off of their festival week. Earth is heading towards a potential quadruple off of their festival week. Obviously, it's not a universal problem that flight banks are heavily drained after festivals, so I don't think that argument can be sustained either. Nor do I think we can argue for it based off the fact that dom leaders are adults with lives. Being a dom leader is voluntary, not forced. It's ultimately that person's choice to put so much into this website.

edit: after reading some other replies, I'll also add that I think a big problem is earth is literally untouchable. Every other powerhouse before this simply seemed untouchable; They reigned because they had the best tactics. If you stepped to them hard enough, you could knock them down, like LvN3 (Even if Light did win). Earth is actually untouchable due to what seems like internal site mechanic issues.
je67dzK.gif ...
Val + she/her + fr+3
talk to me about hozier

7zrgo5F.png
[quote]Earth is actually untouchable due to what seems like internal site mechanic issues.[/quote] The problem isn't us - the problem is that flight aren't keen on using their whole dom banks, now. They're scared that conquesting means losing money. People aren't willing to conquest anymore - which gives us free reign to do so - because it requires less of us. Maybe if people weren't as scared of potentially losing profit, we wouldn't have gotten 3 weeks in a row. But, people prefer being comfortable than dominating. tldr - Earth got dom because no one else wanted it.
Quote:
Earth is actually untouchable due to what seems like internal site mechanic issues.

The problem isn't us - the problem is that flight aren't keen on using their whole dom banks, now. They're scared that conquesting means losing money. People aren't willing to conquest anymore - which gives us free reign to do so - because it requires less of us.

Maybe if people weren't as scared of potentially losing profit, we wouldn't have gotten 3 weeks in a row. But, people prefer being comfortable than dominating.

tldr - Earth got dom because no one else wanted it.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15