Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Dominance issue
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
The problem is how fatigue and the ratio intersect.

Week 1: to get 100 Dragon Points, Earth exalts 100 dragons and Light exalts 300 dragons.
Week 2: to get 100 Dragon Points, Earth exalts 111 dragons and Light exalts 300 dragons.
Week 3: to get 100 Dragon Points, Earth exalts 125 dragons and Light exalts 300 dragons.

(That's assuming that I'm calculating fatigue correctly; maybe Earth only needs 110/120/130, or maybe it's 90% fatigue then 81% then 73% rather than 90%/80%/70%, but for the purposes of demonstration it doesn't matter that much.)

If fatigue went up much more dramatically, sure, Earth's size difference would get cancelled out more quickly, but the larger flights would be impaired by it much more dramatically also. Compare Shadow and Light:

To get 100 Dragon Points, Shadow exalts 165 dragons and Light exalts 100 dragons.
To get 100 Dragon Points, Shadow exalts 183 dragons and Light exalts 100 dragons.
To get 100 Dragon Points, Shadow exalts 206 dragons and Light exalts 100 dragons.

Flight culture and the difficulty of wrangling a lot of people and finding a time that works for a ton of people (rather than just a few) mean it's already pretty hard for Shadow to get double dom anyway. Imagine increasing it, or comparing Shadow to Fire or Water rather than Light!
The problem is how fatigue and the ratio intersect.

Week 1: to get 100 Dragon Points, Earth exalts 100 dragons and Light exalts 300 dragons.
Week 2: to get 100 Dragon Points, Earth exalts 111 dragons and Light exalts 300 dragons.
Week 3: to get 100 Dragon Points, Earth exalts 125 dragons and Light exalts 300 dragons.

(That's assuming that I'm calculating fatigue correctly; maybe Earth only needs 110/120/130, or maybe it's 90% fatigue then 81% then 73% rather than 90%/80%/70%, but for the purposes of demonstration it doesn't matter that much.)

If fatigue went up much more dramatically, sure, Earth's size difference would get cancelled out more quickly, but the larger flights would be impaired by it much more dramatically also. Compare Shadow and Light:

To get 100 Dragon Points, Shadow exalts 165 dragons and Light exalts 100 dragons.
To get 100 Dragon Points, Shadow exalts 183 dragons and Light exalts 100 dragons.
To get 100 Dragon Points, Shadow exalts 206 dragons and Light exalts 100 dragons.

Flight culture and the difficulty of wrangling a lot of people and finding a time that works for a ton of people (rather than just a few) mean it's already pretty hard for Shadow to get double dom anyway. Imagine increasing it, or comparing Shadow to Fire or Water rather than Light!
poisonedpaper-katyushkaframe.png 7mOaAeU.pngiBjoeES.pngIMyicna.pngt1mYQC9.pngDAtDfdH.pnglvp-quality-quartermaster-ribbon.pngfol-quality-quartermaster-ribbon.pngpoisonedpaper-ojnkframe.png
[quote name="cheyinka" date="2018-12-14 07:21:22" ] If fatigue went up much more dramatically, sure, Earth's size difference would get cancelled out more quickly, but the larger flights would be impaired by it much more dramatically also. - - Flight culture and the difficulty of wrangling a lot of people and finding a time that works for a ton of people (rather than just a few) mean it's already pretty hard for Shadow to get double dom anyway. Imagine increasing it, or comparing Shadow to Fire or Water rather than Light! [/quote] If the fatigue was multiplied based on consecutive weeks, a flight could still push for a double dom with regular fatigue, as the multiplier would only kick in after the second first place in a row. The key is to make it difficult for any flight to hold first place for several weeks at a time, small or large.
cheyinka wrote on 2018-12-14 07:21:22:
If fatigue went up much more dramatically, sure, Earth's size difference would get cancelled out more quickly, but the larger flights would be impaired by it much more dramatically also. - -

If the fatigue was multiplied based on consecutive weeks, a flight could still push for a double dom with regular fatigue, as the multiplier would only kick in after the second first place in a row. The key is to make it difficult for any flight to hold first place for several weeks at a time, small or large.
I agree with all the people in this thread who are arguing for incentivizing exaltation more. This will probably make more people want to exalt, and therefore flights with large non-exalting populations will have an easier time with dom. However, if the dom issue is to be attacked from this direction, something really needs to be done about the eliminate problem, since it's pretty necessary for most efficient fodder training builds. I feel like that's another major barrier to entry for many newbies.

I agree with all the people in this thread who are arguing for incentivizing exaltation more. This will probably make more people want to exalt, and therefore flights with large non-exalting populations will have an easier time with dom. However, if the dom issue is to be attacked from this direction, something really needs to be done about the eliminate problem, since it's pretty necessary for most efficient fodder training builds. I feel like that's another major barrier to entry for many newbies.

jCVhFoZ.gif
[quote name="Nanokarp" date="2018-12-09 02:53:06" ] So you're willing to take away the hard earned rewards for people who do work hard for it, to give it to flights who apparently don't care as much about it? [/quote]
Nanokarp wrote on 2018-12-09 02:53:06:
So you're willing to take away the hard earned rewards for people who do work hard for it, to give it to flights who apparently don't care as much about it?
Bottled Embers Vial of Mysterious Toxin
heather | 16 | she-her | pisces
wishlist | about me | dragon projects
please read this before messaging me
Love this! Earth can still work hard and win frequently, but not always. Great job with the idea, and great job to Earth for winning so often!
Love this! Earth can still work hard and win frequently, but not always. Great job with the idea, and great job to Earth for winning so often!
___________ 6346.png mlHpBMC.png
5BsilZ9.png
55xbf1H.png
E3nmoMt.png
TW8ViqF.png
WKtl2lb.png
pO8B2fr.png 6346.png
WKtl2lb.png[/url][nextcol]
pO8B2fr.png[nextcol]6346.png[/columns]
Agreed!

Light Flight used to be the most likely to get Dominance because of the sheer numbers, but it still took a lot of work and a lot of treasure to do so. Earth flight has now done four in a row, and they are the smallest flight. The numbers and the mechanics are what makes it possible. It is... disheartening.
Agreed!

Light Flight used to be the most likely to get Dominance because of the sheer numbers, but it still took a lot of work and a lot of treasure to do so. Earth flight has now done four in a row, and they are the smallest flight. The numbers and the mechanics are what makes it possible. It is... disheartening.
gdiZPM0.png
It seems like the current Dom mechanics are trying to balance flight size by only counting "active" players, but I really think their definition of "active" is part of the problem here. A player who logged on during the last two weeks? That could either be someone exalting thousands of levels, or someone who logs on once in a while to feed their dragons and then leaves again.

Not sure if this would be any better, but what if they just changed "active player" to mean someone who has exalted at least one dragon during the last week or two?

This would mean flights with a large proportion of players with no interest in Dom/exalting could still potentially win against a "Dom powerhouse" if their Dom community made enough of an effort.

Maybe this would still run into the same issue of all the most intensely Dom-focused players congregating in one flight, but I'm not sure anything can be done about that.
It seems like the current Dom mechanics are trying to balance flight size by only counting "active" players, but I really think their definition of "active" is part of the problem here. A player who logged on during the last two weeks? That could either be someone exalting thousands of levels, or someone who logs on once in a while to feed their dragons and then leaves again.

Not sure if this would be any better, but what if they just changed "active player" to mean someone who has exalted at least one dragon during the last week or two?

This would mean flights with a large proportion of players with no interest in Dom/exalting could still potentially win against a "Dom powerhouse" if their Dom community made enough of an effort.

Maybe this would still run into the same issue of all the most intensely Dom-focused players congregating in one flight, but I'm not sure anything can be done about that.
bHeX9bv.png
@maewyn

That could be gamed by funneling dragons to certain players, meaning that Water and Earth would never drop out ouf 1st and 2nd ever again.

@maewyn

That could be gamed by funneling dragons to certain players, meaning that Water and Earth would never drop out ouf 1st and 2nd ever again.

[quote name="Maewyn" date="2018-12-16 10:29:44" ] Maybe this would still run into the same issue of all the most intensely Dom-focused players congregating in one flight, but I'm not sure anything can be done about that. [/quote] This is why I don't think any of the suggestions I have seen so far will work. Since the players have the ability to move flights at will (with a 6 month wait yes), then nothing can really be done to make sure dominance is 'fair' to other flights. As Sopheroo said, having it only be 'active exalters' would either be able to be abused too easily by having flights make sure most of their heavy exalters (and casual exalters that will listen) simply stop exalting for a while in order to make sure that they have as low of a 'active exalter' number as possible, which, since the flights with fewer active members would have an easier time convincing their members, they would gain an even bigger advantage, then those flights could simply funnel all their dragons to those few lairs, or depending on how the dominance is calculated (does it count all exalted dragons or only those flagged as active exalters?) simply start exalting again, allowing the multiplyer for 'small flights' work. The other concern with this, that I have, is that it would create an even more toxic attitude towards casual exalters: those who exalt one or two dragons per month, enough to get counted, but not enough to really do anything towards dominace. There is already a negative attitude towards non-exalters or those who 'enjoy the dom rewards without doing the work for it' and I don't think that needs to be exacerbated. Upping the fatigue on winning flights (those that place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd) only seems to be punishing those who do get organized and do well, because, while it might be that earth is using their small flight status and however the formula is calculated to their advantage, I guarantee that they won't always be a 'dom oriented' flight, and that this will hit the next flight to manage to get their player base organized enough to win dom. Honestly, as long as the formula used is calculating fairly, which is up to the admins to determine as we don't know the formula, then I don't see a problem with a flight being able to achieve dom multiple weeks in a row, especially if the current fatigue DOES stack. Eventually, with stacking fatigue, there WILL come a point when the heavy exalters cannot keep it up (even without stacking fatigue, if they are exalting at a loss, then there comes a point when they can't keep up the effort) and another flight will take first. I am not saying that Dominance is perfect, no system is, especially when you add the 'human element' to it, nor am I saying that it can't be tweaked. I am just saying that, from what I have seen, many of these 'fix dominance!' threads I have seen, all revolve around giving flights that are seen as 'dominance light' flights more chances at dominance, and as long as dominance remains a competition, that won't happen, at least not from the admins side. That has to come from the player side of the equation.
Maewyn wrote on 2018-12-16 10:29:44:
This is why I don't think any of the suggestions I have seen so far will work.

Since the players have the ability to move flights at will (with a 6 month wait yes), then nothing can really be done to make sure dominance is 'fair' to other flights.

As Sopheroo said, having it only be 'active exalters' would either be able to be abused too easily by having flights make sure most of their heavy exalters (and casual exalters that will listen) simply stop exalting for a while in order to make sure that they have as low of a 'active exalter' number as possible, which, since the flights with fewer active members would have an easier time convincing their members, they would gain an even bigger advantage, then those flights could simply funnel all their dragons to those few lairs, or depending on how the dominance is calculated (does it count all exalted dragons or only those flagged as active exalters?) simply start exalting again, allowing the multiplyer for 'small flights' work.

The other concern with this, that I have, is that it would create an even more toxic attitude towards casual exalters: those who exalt one or two dragons per month, enough to get counted, but not enough to really do anything towards dominace. There is already a negative attitude towards non-exalters or those who 'enjoy the dom rewards without doing the work for it' and I don't think that needs to be exacerbated.

Upping the fatigue on winning flights (those that place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd) only seems to be punishing those who do get organized and do well, because, while it might be that earth is using their small flight status and however the formula is calculated to their advantage, I guarantee that they won't always be a 'dom oriented' flight, and that this will hit the next flight to manage to get their player base organized enough to win dom.

Honestly, as long as the formula used is calculating fairly, which is up to the admins to determine as we don't know the formula, then I don't see a problem with a flight being able to achieve dom multiple weeks in a row, especially if the current fatigue DOES stack. Eventually, with stacking fatigue, there WILL come a point when the heavy exalters cannot keep it up (even without stacking fatigue, if they are exalting at a loss, then there comes a point when they can't keep up the effort) and another flight will take first.

I am not saying that Dominance is perfect, no system is, especially when you add the 'human element' to it, nor am I saying that it can't be tweaked. I am just saying that, from what I have seen, many of these 'fix dominance!' threads I have seen, all revolve around giving flights that are seen as 'dominance light' flights more chances at dominance, and as long as dominance remains a competition, that won't happen, at least not from the admins side. That has to come from the player side of the equation.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Looking over the many suggestions in this board I lean less towards the idea of a dom cool down, and more just switching fatigue to a exponential system instead? So after the 1st week it would be 10%, after the 2nd it would be 25/30%, after the 3rd it would be 45/50%? And maybe just capping at the 3rd level cause if you still manage dom 4 weeks in a row with that you deserve it cause that's crazy.
Looking over the many suggestions in this board I lean less towards the idea of a dom cool down, and more just switching fatigue to a exponential system instead? So after the 1st week it would be 10%, after the 2nd it would be 25/30%, after the 3rd it would be 45/50%? And maybe just capping at the 3rd level cause if you still manage dom 4 weeks in a row with that you deserve it cause that's crazy.
CdZTwZd.png
Wishlist | Art Samples | Deviantart | Custom Bio Examples
Looking for stoned Lvl 25s, preferably either Water or Nature. Preferably pretty or with potential. The ghostier/more halloweeny the better! Willing to offer mixed payment.
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15