Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Please Fix Lionfish on Tundras!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Support, it does make it look unfinished. Even adding a gradient or some other more subtle markings in those areas would improve it and make it look more complete.
Support, it does make it look unfinished. Even adding a gradient or some other more subtle markings in those areas would improve it and make it look more complete.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
[quote name="Sopheroo" date="2018-10-21 06:39:38" ] Not all genes are going to please your personal aesthetic. [/quote] Well put.
Sopheroo wrote on 2018-10-21 06:39:38:
Not all genes are going to please your personal aesthetic.
Well put.
ZQGfAQY.png
No support If you don't like it, don't use it One reason I'm a bit put off by this primary is that it's really busy, so the "blank" spot on tundra is a nice change of peace I Love the two-tone difference on tundras, and hate when it's lost on genes like toxin, pinstripe, petals ecc I have one dragon I'm leaving basic just for this reason; only because a dragon isn't swamped in complicated markings doesn't mean it's unfinished also [quote name="Sopheroo" date="2018-10-21 06:39:38" ] Not all genes are going to please your personal aesthetic. [/quote]
No support

If you don't like it, don't use it
One reason I'm a bit put off by this primary is that it's really busy, so the "blank" spot on tundra is a nice change of peace

I Love the two-tone difference on tundras, and hate when it's lost on genes like toxin, pinstripe, petals ecc

I have one dragon I'm leaving basic just for this reason; only because a dragon isn't swamped in complicated markings doesn't mean it's unfinished

also
Sopheroo wrote on 2018-10-21 06:39:38:
Not all genes are going to please your personal aesthetic.
BLACK LIVES MATTER

thisaddefinitelydoesntminebitcoin.gif
Support.

Not fitting an 'aesthetic' isn't an excuse for half-asking a breed's genes.

Tundra's are my favorite and with the lack of design on these, it's just.. Why would I ever bother with the primary at all. It's in FR's best interest to fix this if they wanna get people to buy it lol??

It doesn't even have to be as busy as the others, but as is like 80% of the breed is unaffected by the primary, what motivation is there for me to put a whole primary's worth of treasure into the purchase?
Support.

Tundra's are my favorite and with the lack of design on these, it's just.. Why would I ever bother with the primary at all. It's in FR's best interest to fix this if they wanna get people to buy it lol??

It doesn't even have to be as busy as the others, but as is like 80% of the breed is unaffected by the primary, what motivation is there for me to put a whole primary's worth of treasure into the purchase?
She/He
Pan - Poly
Drew / Lemons
1tpb8sw.gif
[quote name="Lemonsinasoup" date="2018-10-21 16:07:52" ] Support. Not fitting an 'aesthetic' isn't an excuse for half-asking a breed's genes. Tundra's are my favorite and with the lack of design on these, it's just.. Why would I ever bother with the primary at all. It's in FR's best interest to fix this if they wanna get people to buy it lol?? It doesn't even have to be as busy as the others, but as is like 80% of the breed is unaffected by the primary, what motivation is there for me to put a whole primary's worth of treasure into the purchase? [/quote] The thing is, it is six of one/half dozen of another. If they 'fix' it, then the people who would buy it specifically for tundras won't, but if they don't 'fix' it, then the people who don't like how it looks on tundras won't buy it. Also, just because it doesn't fit YOUR aesthetic doesn't mean it is 'half-asked' or that it needs to be fixed. Not every gene has to appeal to every person. I personally like how the break in the tundras fur makes the pattern look much less busy, and would love it if they figured out a way to do it on other dragons so that the gene isn't as busy on those. I do agree that not having a gradient effect makes it look slightly unfinished, but I don't think any of the other fur has gradient effects either. It is just because the tundras are mostly fur that it looks so odd that they didn't put the gene on that part of the dragon. If there is no motivation to put a primary's worth of treasure into the purchase, then don't. You don't have to buy the gene, and you don't have to apply it to a tundra. There are many genes I wish they had implemented differently, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with the gene, or that the artists should redo it. It just means I won't be buying those genes and instead buy others that I like better and that fit my personal favorite breeds better.
Lemonsinasoup wrote on 2018-10-21 16:07:52:
Support.

The thing is, it is six of one/half dozen of another. If they 'fix' it, then the people who would buy it specifically for tundras won't, but if they don't 'fix' it, then the people who don't like how it looks on tundras won't buy it.

Also, just because it doesn't fit YOUR aesthetic doesn't mean it is 'half-asked' or that it needs to be fixed. Not every gene has to appeal to every person. I personally like how the break in the tundras fur makes the pattern look much less busy, and would love it if they figured out a way to do it on other dragons so that the gene isn't as busy on those.

I do agree that not having a gradient effect makes it look slightly unfinished, but I don't think any of the other fur has gradient effects either. It is just because the tundras are mostly fur that it looks so odd that they didn't put the gene on that part of the dragon.

If there is no motivation to put a primary's worth of treasure into the purchase, then don't. You don't have to buy the gene, and you don't have to apply it to a tundra.

There are many genes I wish they had implemented differently, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with the gene, or that the artists should redo it. It just means I won't be buying those genes and instead buy others that I like better and that fit my personal favorite breeds better.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
My entire point is simply this:

By all means, fix it if it is a mistake. However, don't fix it if it is an intended choice just because it doesn't fit everyone's liking.

By all means, fix it if it is a mistake. However, don't fix it if it is an intended choice just because it doesn't fit everyone's liking.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
..... I counter propose that to make this even across all the breeds, all of the rest now need to have a chunk of Lionfish erased from about.... oh, mid-neck to the ribs.

You know, to help show off terts better on everyone.

Lionfish on tuns as it is now is clearly an error. If the idea was that the fur really buries the pattern, then there should be some gradient or faint lines or anything to show that art was done. The art doesn't show that any work was done. So it looks like an art error more than anything else.
..... I counter propose that to make this even across all the breeds, all of the rest now need to have a chunk of Lionfish erased from about.... oh, mid-neck to the ribs.

You know, to help show off terts better on everyone.

Lionfish on tuns as it is now is clearly an error. If the idea was that the fur really buries the pattern, then there should be some gradient or faint lines or anything to show that art was done. The art doesn't show that any work was done. So it looks like an art error more than anything else.
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
[quote name="Amut" date="2018-10-21 19:13:26" ] Lionfish on tuns as it is now is clearly an error. If the idea was that the fur really buries the pattern, then there should be some gradient or faint lines or anything to show that art was done. The art doesn't show that any work was done. So it looks like an art error more than anything else. [/quote] Except it's entirely unclear if this is an error or not? In fact, I'd wager that it's more evidence to suggest it was an intentional design choice as the "lack of coverage" is consistent between both male and female Tundras. If it was a mistake, I'd imagine different sections would be missing color and/or there'd be sections of gradient or pattern inconsistent between them, but there's not. Tundra's are currently the only breed with canonical layers of fur and additionally they've always been something of an odd duck when it comes to basic color expression. It's part of what makes people either love them or hate them. I don't see what's so unbelievable about a gene's pattern expressing itself differently across various layers of fur. This happens in nature.
Amut wrote on 2018-10-21 19:13:26:

Except it's entirely unclear if this is an error or not? In fact, I'd wager that it's more evidence to suggest it was an intentional design choice as the "lack of coverage" is consistent between both male and female Tundras. If it was a mistake, I'd imagine different sections would be missing color and/or there'd be sections of gradient or pattern inconsistent between them, but there's not.

Tundra's are currently the only breed with canonical layers of fur and additionally they've always been something of an odd duck when it comes to basic color expression. It's part of what makes people either love them or hate them.

I don't see what's so unbelievable about a gene's pattern expressing itself differently across various layers of fur. This happens in nature.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2018-10-21 16:42:24" ] My entire point is simply this: By all means, fix it if it is a mistake. However, don't fix it if it is an intended choice just because it doesn't fit everyone's liking. [/quote] This is my point too. I both love and hate how many primary genes look on tundras because of their fur, which makes many primary genes work differently on them than all other breeds. So, if the lack of pattern on the fur for lionfish is intended, then there's no need to change. If it's an error, then yes please fix it.
Jemadar wrote on 2018-10-21 16:42:24:

This is my point too. I both love and hate how many primary genes look on tundras because of their fur, which makes many primary genes work differently on them than all other breeds. So, if the lack of pattern on the fur for lionfish is intended, then there's no need to change. If it's an error, then yes please fix it.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
Support.

I've never been a fan of tundras myself, and think the new gene is very cluttered (It's why I'm not a fan of cryface), but this looks flat out unfinished and I can sympathize with tundra fans. It's not even a personal aesthetic choice for me, it's just so intrusive. Sure, sometimes a gene won't entirely cover part of a dragon, but the empty part makes up well over 30% of the tundras design. Even just giving the coat a minor gradient or subtle stripes would've been a nice compromise to have the mane pop without being too barren.
I don't doubt it was an intentional choice, but I've seen tons of people outside this thread complain about the gene on tundras, and it doesn't seem fair to shut down any criticism of it with "don't like, don't watch" rhetoric.
Support.

I've never been a fan of tundras myself, and think the new gene is very cluttered (It's why I'm not a fan of cryface), but this looks flat out unfinished and I can sympathize with tundra fans. It's not even a personal aesthetic choice for me, it's just so intrusive. Sure, sometimes a gene won't entirely cover part of a dragon, but the empty part makes up well over 30% of the tundras design. Even just giving the coat a minor gradient or subtle stripes would've been a nice compromise to have the mane pop without being too barren.
I don't doubt it was an intentional choice, but I've seen tons of people outside this thread complain about the gene on tundras, and it doesn't seem fair to shut down any criticism of it with "don't like, don't watch" rhetoric.
aWbyA1i.png 3fCWJtf.pngxjHSFGI.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8