Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Mutant Dragons Please!
1 2
Okay so I had this idea while encountering a hiccup in breeding... I have these two dragons that I absolutely love and think their offspring would be fantastic, but my only problem is that they share a common ancestor.

So I was thinking... wouldn't it be awesome if we COULD breed common ancestors? But of course it can't be that easy, there has to be a risk with trying to mate a mother and their offspring (which does happen in the wild, let's be honest)... so cue mutant dragons.

It would be amazing if you go to breed two dragons that have common ancestors, and the site generates a warning: "[Dragon name] and [dragon name] have a common ancestor, you have an [x]% chance of the offspring mutating. Are you sure you want to continue?" And of course, there would have to be some math figured in for how much of a chance you have of the offspring mutating. For example, 95% if it's directly parent and offspring, 75% chance if it's two siblings, 50% if it's grandparent and grandchild, 25% chance if it's aunt/uncle with niece/nephew, and so on.

And then I was thinking about the different mutations that could occur... freakishly tiny wings, stunted limbs, no tail, a snapper that's freakishly thin, a spiral who's body doesn't spiral, an imperial with no whiskers, a tundra that doesn't have thick fur, a pearlcatcher that doesn't have a pearl, a ridgeback that doesn't have a horned nose, a wildclaw that has larger front legs than back... And better yet, I think it would be awesome if the mutant offspring's eggs were like freakishly small or had some sort of crazy coloring; something to determine that it is mutated before it hatches. Unless, of course, you like the element of surprise and want to be completely clueless until the babies hatch.

And after your little mutant is hatched? Well let's be honest, if that happened in the wild... it is highly unlikely that any animal would mate with a deformed counterpart, because they want their children to be the strongest and able to survive. So when you go to breed a mutated dragon? You have however much of a chance that they produce zero eggs, or maybe they just aren't able to breed at all. If they do manage to produce some offspring, then it gets figured in how likely it is for the offspring to mutated, of course... 100% if both parents are mutants, 50% chance if one if mutated and the other is not, and so on...

Just an idea!! But I think it would be so crazy fun to have new traits for the dragons, new possibilities, and an element of risk to it all!
Okay so I had this idea while encountering a hiccup in breeding... I have these two dragons that I absolutely love and think their offspring would be fantastic, but my only problem is that they share a common ancestor.

So I was thinking... wouldn't it be awesome if we COULD breed common ancestors? But of course it can't be that easy, there has to be a risk with trying to mate a mother and their offspring (which does happen in the wild, let's be honest)... so cue mutant dragons.

It would be amazing if you go to breed two dragons that have common ancestors, and the site generates a warning: "[Dragon name] and [dragon name] have a common ancestor, you have an [x]% chance of the offspring mutating. Are you sure you want to continue?" And of course, there would have to be some math figured in for how much of a chance you have of the offspring mutating. For example, 95% if it's directly parent and offspring, 75% chance if it's two siblings, 50% if it's grandparent and grandchild, 25% chance if it's aunt/uncle with niece/nephew, and so on.

And then I was thinking about the different mutations that could occur... freakishly tiny wings, stunted limbs, no tail, a snapper that's freakishly thin, a spiral who's body doesn't spiral, an imperial with no whiskers, a tundra that doesn't have thick fur, a pearlcatcher that doesn't have a pearl, a ridgeback that doesn't have a horned nose, a wildclaw that has larger front legs than back... And better yet, I think it would be awesome if the mutant offspring's eggs were like freakishly small or had some sort of crazy coloring; something to determine that it is mutated before it hatches. Unless, of course, you like the element of surprise and want to be completely clueless until the babies hatch.

And after your little mutant is hatched? Well let's be honest, if that happened in the wild... it is highly unlikely that any animal would mate with a deformed counterpart, because they want their children to be the strongest and able to survive. So when you go to breed a mutated dragon? You have however much of a chance that they produce zero eggs, or maybe they just aren't able to breed at all. If they do manage to produce some offspring, then it gets figured in how likely it is for the offspring to mutated, of course... 100% if both parents are mutants, 50% chance if one if mutated and the other is not, and so on...

Just an idea!! But I think it would be so crazy fun to have new traits for the dragons, new possibilities, and an element of risk to it all!
This would not work with skins, accents, and a lot of apparel, so no support.

There's also the facts that these aren't wild animals, they're sentient. Meaning that they likely wouldn't mate with a closely related dragon in the first place out of morality.
This would not work with skins, accents, and a lot of apparel, so no support.

There's also the facts that these aren't wild animals, they're sentient. Meaning that they likely wouldn't mate with a closely related dragon in the first place out of morality.
giphy.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
I don't think any species that has culture, history, logic and moral would be like "Hey lets mate with my parents/children and then lets watch what kind of possibly fatal birth defects will happen!". Beings from such a background very very rarely will have such an mindset and even more unlikely it is that the rest of society is okay with it.

No support for that because of the amout of problems gameplay and lorewise.
I don't think any species that has culture, history, logic and moral would be like "Hey lets mate with my parents/children and then lets watch what kind of possibly fatal birth defects will happen!". Beings from such a background very very rarely will have such an mindset and even more unlikely it is that the rest of society is okay with it.

No support for that because of the amout of problems gameplay and lorewise.
[quote name="Shinyumbreon" date="2018-02-17 10:01:23" ] There's also the facts that these aren't wild animals, they're sentient. Meaning that they likely wouldn't mate with a closely related dragon in the first place out of morality. [/quote] Yeah, they're more like people then lizards, at least mentally. No support.
Shinyumbreon wrote on 2018-02-17 10:01:23:
Yeah, they're more like people then lizards, at least mentally. No support.
I think an interesting idea to go off the mutant idea is more in the sense of how mutations occur naturally. For example if you breed two XXX white dragons theres a very small chance that one of the colors could mutate to to say red or blue and a similar scenario to genes where say two dragons with runes could breed and by very rare chance end up having a spines baby.
I think an interesting idea to go off the mutant idea is more in the sense of how mutations occur naturally. For example if you breed two XXX white dragons theres a very small chance that one of the colors could mutate to to say red or blue and a similar scenario to genes where say two dragons with runes could breed and by very rare chance end up having a spines baby.
LddyQeY.png
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.png 2nNPLga.giftumblr_inline_nbe8e2NZyN1qg78ij.png
As long as the chance is small enough, that could be interesting. It could also be annoying if you're trying to breed a subspecies or something similar though
As long as the chance is small enough, that could be interesting. It could also be annoying if you're trying to breed a subspecies or something similar though
Yeah it would definitely have to be small, im thinking like a fraction of a percent because it is an extremely rare thing to happen in irl.

And yea it could be annoying for subspecies and hatcheries but its probably just me but i think it would add a little excitement to them! I know i'd personally love a dragon from an established pair with a special color or gene mutation. Almost like getting a shiny in pokemon!
Yeah it would definitely have to be small, im thinking like a fraction of a percent because it is an extremely rare thing to happen in irl.

And yea it could be annoying for subspecies and hatcheries but its probably just me but i think it would add a little excitement to them! I know i'd personally love a dragon from an established pair with a special color or gene mutation. Almost like getting a shiny in pokemon!
LddyQeY.png
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.png 2nNPLga.giftumblr_inline_nbe8e2NZyN1qg78ij.png
I absolutely do not want to see the inbreeding restriction (which is only 5 generations) removed. The inbreeding restriction is part of the challenge of breeding. From a lore standpoint dragons are sentient creatures so it’s likely they’d have the same hang ups as humans generally do. Removing the inbreeding restriction with the addition of mutations as a penalty for inbreeding is just going to encourage inbreeding in hopes of mutations.

If mutations were introduced without an inbreeding component, I would not like to see random mutations. There are many players who are breeding for particular aesthetics, and a random mutated dragon is not what they want-- the 'rareness' (and thus potential profit) may not make up for the fact that dragon just ruined that round of breeding for a particular breeding project they may have spent months breeding for.

I'd love to see the possibility of mutations occurring in offspring if you expose dragons to a mutagen. If mutations became a thing I personally think they shouldn't be art intensive mutations (such as wingless dragons or double-headed dragons both of which would essentially end up work wise the equivalent of a new breed and as such I'd rather the time be spent on creating a new breed rather than a variation on an existing breed), but should be relatively simple things like a mutation exclusive gene or coloration changes such as albinoism, melanistic and leucistic (essentially a black or white translucent layer that darkens or lightens the existing colors) or things that don't require artwork (such as size mutations). Dragons affected by a mutagen should have some kind of identification marker.

If mutations become a thing there should probably be a scroll to remove the mutation and/or the effects of the mutagen. However a removal scroll should not be used as an excuse to make the occurrence of mutations random--a player should not have to pay to remove a mutation they did not want in the first place. An item to prevent mutations from occurring is also not a good excuse to make mutations random--a player should always have say on if they want the possibility of a mutation to occur and should not have to pay to prevent it.
I absolutely do not want to see the inbreeding restriction (which is only 5 generations) removed. The inbreeding restriction is part of the challenge of breeding. From a lore standpoint dragons are sentient creatures so it’s likely they’d have the same hang ups as humans generally do. Removing the inbreeding restriction with the addition of mutations as a penalty for inbreeding is just going to encourage inbreeding in hopes of mutations.

If mutations were introduced without an inbreeding component, I would not like to see random mutations. There are many players who are breeding for particular aesthetics, and a random mutated dragon is not what they want-- the 'rareness' (and thus potential profit) may not make up for the fact that dragon just ruined that round of breeding for a particular breeding project they may have spent months breeding for.

I'd love to see the possibility of mutations occurring in offspring if you expose dragons to a mutagen. If mutations became a thing I personally think they shouldn't be art intensive mutations (such as wingless dragons or double-headed dragons both of which would essentially end up work wise the equivalent of a new breed and as such I'd rather the time be spent on creating a new breed rather than a variation on an existing breed), but should be relatively simple things like a mutation exclusive gene or coloration changes such as albinoism, melanistic and leucistic (essentially a black or white translucent layer that darkens or lightens the existing colors) or things that don't require artwork (such as size mutations). Dragons affected by a mutagen should have some kind of identification marker.

If mutations become a thing there should probably be a scroll to remove the mutation and/or the effects of the mutagen. However a removal scroll should not be used as an excuse to make the occurrence of mutations random--a player should not have to pay to remove a mutation they did not want in the first place. An item to prevent mutations from occurring is also not a good excuse to make mutations random--a player should always have say on if they want the possibility of a mutation to occur and should not have to pay to prevent it.
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
The only way I can support mutants (and no support for being able to circumvent the ancester thing) is if it were optional. A user would need to brew or buy a totem (or something) that would be able to introduce the mutation into a nest, with only a possibility of it happening.

Otherwise it is a huge no support because people have spent thousands of gems and hundreds of thousands of treasure to get perfect breeding pairs, some players have long term projects that require renting nests or just needing to get a specific out come. Just because something is rare or worth money doesn't mean that it will make up for having a breeding project ruined because you got that miniscule chance of it happening, or even make up monetarily for the money invested in the dragons and getting the offspring you want.

Also, these mutations should be on the order of either spines/gembond (very little in the way of line breaking art) or color only mutations, otherwise there would be a HUGE problem with apparel.

Edit: Also, if the idea is to make some dragons 'valuable' then having them be optional is essential. There are a LOT of dragons hatched every day on site. Having every single dragon hatched from the point the mutations are added on have the potential to have a mutation would result in there being a lot of mutated dragons and thus their price would go down quite quickly. Even at a very low percentage, more dragons hatched = more chance for mutations. However, if this were something that people had to brew, that still only gave a small chance of mutations occuring in the nest (I support the mutagen more for affecting the nest rather than the parents), it would mean that it could act as a treasure/item sink (depending on how they introduced it) as players would need to reobtain one and use it after every hatching (or they could introduced tiered ones: 1 nest mutagen, 5 nest mutagen, 10 nest mutagen, with appropriate cost scales) This would keep the resulting mutated dragons much rarer than if everyone, right off the bat, could simply get one by hatching a nest.
The only way I can support mutants (and no support for being able to circumvent the ancester thing) is if it were optional. A user would need to brew or buy a totem (or something) that would be able to introduce the mutation into a nest, with only a possibility of it happening.

Otherwise it is a huge no support because people have spent thousands of gems and hundreds of thousands of treasure to get perfect breeding pairs, some players have long term projects that require renting nests or just needing to get a specific out come. Just because something is rare or worth money doesn't mean that it will make up for having a breeding project ruined because you got that miniscule chance of it happening, or even make up monetarily for the money invested in the dragons and getting the offspring you want.

Also, these mutations should be on the order of either spines/gembond (very little in the way of line breaking art) or color only mutations, otherwise there would be a HUGE problem with apparel.

Edit: Also, if the idea is to make some dragons 'valuable' then having them be optional is essential. There are a LOT of dragons hatched every day on site. Having every single dragon hatched from the point the mutations are added on have the potential to have a mutation would result in there being a lot of mutated dragons and thus their price would go down quite quickly. Even at a very low percentage, more dragons hatched = more chance for mutations. However, if this were something that people had to brew, that still only gave a small chance of mutations occuring in the nest (I support the mutagen more for affecting the nest rather than the parents), it would mean that it could act as a treasure/item sink (depending on how they introduced it) as players would need to reobtain one and use it after every hatching (or they could introduced tiered ones: 1 nest mutagen, 5 nest mutagen, 10 nest mutagen, with appropriate cost scales) This would keep the resulting mutated dragons much rarer than if everyone, right off the bat, could simply get one by hatching a nest.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Thinking about it i can agree. Having make new art would be way too much on the artists. If anything it should be exclusive to color and genes that have already been established
But i think it would be a better concept to be able to add a mutagen yourself to a dragon for mutation or a pair of dragons to increase chances. It would be cool to be able to brew a mutagen from baldwin as well as being able to brew an "antidote" if selling or dont want the mutagen in the dragon anymore.

I also agree with not removing the common ancestor aspect.
Thinking about it i can agree. Having make new art would be way too much on the artists. If anything it should be exclusive to color and genes that have already been established
But i think it would be a better concept to be able to add a mutagen yourself to a dragon for mutation or a pair of dragons to increase chances. It would be cool to be able to brew a mutagen from baldwin as well as being able to brew an "antidote" if selling or dont want the mutagen in the dragon anymore.

I also agree with not removing the common ancestor aspect.
LddyQeY.png
1 2