Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Through Fire and Flames (open)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
This is going to be a dragon RP - not based in FR, though if you wish to use a graphic of one of your dergs I'm hardly opposed to it. I'll be making the plot up as I go, so after this post I would be incredibly grateful if you could give me a moment to write a combined intro/setting/plot hook for your reading pleasure. For the moment, here are some ground rules:

- Usual roleplay rules. No godmoding, powerplaying, etc.
- I love original characters with written introductions. However, if you find lists easier, I don't mind, but please follow up such an intro with a direct interaction post so that you aren't left behind by the narrative.
- Long posts are not necessary, but interaction is. An observing character will likely not be incorporated into the roleplay. On that note, extremely short posts with little to no description will receive a polite warning in private. Three of these will result in a request to leave the roleplay, as it makes it difficult for other roleplayers to engage and slows everyone down.
- If you would like one on one mentorship, advice, or editing service, you can message me directly and I would be happy to help you.

On to the good stuff!

This is going to be a dragon RP - not based in FR, though if you wish to use a graphic of one of your dergs I'm hardly opposed to it. I'll be making the plot up as I go, so after this post I would be incredibly grateful if you could give me a moment to write a combined intro/setting/plot hook for your reading pleasure. For the moment, here are some ground rules:

- Usual roleplay rules. No godmoding, powerplaying, etc.
- I love original characters with written introductions. However, if you find lists easier, I don't mind, but please follow up such an intro with a direct interaction post so that you aren't left behind by the narrative.
- Long posts are not necessary, but interaction is. An observing character will likely not be incorporated into the roleplay. On that note, extremely short posts with little to no description will receive a polite warning in private. Three of these will result in a request to leave the roleplay, as it makes it difficult for other roleplayers to engage and slows everyone down.
- If you would like one on one mentorship, advice, or editing service, you can message me directly and I would be happy to help you.

On to the good stuff!

Karala lifted her great head as a flock of birds burst suddenly from the mountainside, sending a shiver through the treetops. Their wheeling, screaming mass disappeared a moment later, but their echoes rang along the ridges, eerily deepening even as they faded away.

"Strange," she murmured to herself, swinging her antlered crown around to gaze fondly at the eggs nestled between her paws. They were deep brown in color, richer than the bark of an oak and flecked in gold. Bending, she sniffed, inhaling the earthy scent of them. Still weeks off from hatching. The uneasiness that had set in on her as the birds took wing grew sharper, and she uncurled restlessly from the nest, her maternal ire raised.

It was not uncommon for mothers such as Karala to never leave their nests. Anticipating the oncoming brood some months before, she had hunted with greater fervor than usual, storing up the fat so that she could attend to her hatchlings' birth without compromising their safety. Fathers rarely stuck around after courtship; they were fighters, males, hungry for conflict. Powerful clans ruled their lives. Females occasionally reached respectable ranks in such places, but not easily, and never when they were of breeding age. Most tended to be indifferent to the clan politics, as they changed them as easily as brood partners; after all, should one want to pursue such power, they would be restricted to the clan of their most recent mate. Karala supposed that made her a designate of the Navarians, technically, but she had been born Capri and made many friends in Jovia and Lanis. The true friction of the clans only really came to bear during egg season, when they fought for primacy and sought the greatest number of females, and therefore male hatchlings, that they could.

It was all a headache Karala did not enjoy dealing with, so she had chosen the privacy of the mountain valleys for her rearing. Now it appeared it wasn't as private as she had thought. Shifting from claw to claw, she looked anxiously at her little nest and back to where the birds had flown from. Her rust-colored wings unfolded, swirls of blue winking in the midafternoon sun. "I'll be gone for just a moment," she said finally. Primed on the edge of the cliff, she dove off of it, her sinuous body straightening in the glorious instance of flight.

Immediately, she knew she had made a mistake. A shadow flitting up the mountainside caught her eye even as she fell away from it. Karala let out an enormous bellow, shaking the valley in her rising rage and terror as the shadow streaked toward the nest she had so recently vacated. Twisting around, she beat her wings in mighty sweeps, straining for altitude, claws outstretched as though they would seize the sky itself to pull her on in desperation.

She didn't make it.

- - -

"How many so far, Killian?" An enormous white dragon with ridges of golden scales sat imperiously on a rocky outcropping, his tail coiled lazily around it. Beneath, a thin shelf supported a much smaller creature with powerful legs and an odd harness composed of many belts and buckles. "About... forty, Lord Khaldonius. Many from healthy nests. Some of the southern scouts have brought back runty ones, but we've put those aside until hatching time. A few could be of use."

Khaldonius snorted contemptuously. His claws curled into the rock, their polished sheen unmarred by the screeching crunch of stone splitting around them. "Lanis has no use for runts. We must be a powerful breed if we are to conquer our rivals and rule them. Only the best will be permitted to carry our name into battle, and females who produce runts will be banned from our mating flights. Where is Alouette, by and by?" The proud leader lowered his head until he was looking at Killian directly, eyes bright with interest. The younger male shuffled uneasily and set his harness to jangling. "She is caring for the... nest," he reported, hesitating slightly.

"Wonderful. I will go see her, then. Inform the scouts that the numbers are to be doubled next week." Killian departed hastily, amusing Khaldonius to no end. Slowly, stretching as he did so, the dragon uncoiled himself from the precipice and turned around, descending the cliffside in a series of graceful jumps. Lanis' home was deep inside the Frozenfire Canyon; many of its cliff faces were hundreds of feet high, their stone walls brilliantly colored with rippling waves of gold, copper, and sunset granite. Alouette's den was at the base of one such earthly mosaic, a clear river of water no deeper than an average dragon's belly flowing slowly by its entrance. Khaldonius glanced upward for a brief moment before entering, noting how distant the sky seemed from this safe haven down below.

The lair smelled of river reeds and Alouette; a sharp, evergreen aroma that wakened Khaldonius' senses as strongly as it had the day of their mating flight. Smoky red eyes watched him from the darkness. "Come out, my sweet," he whispered, coaxing a slim, petite green from the shadows. "Ah, are you hungry, my dear?"

"No." In the light of day, Alouette was a stunningly beautiful creature. Her scales shone like underwater jade, and her mane was as white and pure as Khaldonius' own scales. Black antlers hung with tiny golden links grew in demure sweeps from her ears, as though offended by the very danger they implied. She hesitated, then took a few more steps forward, shyly lifting her head to touch noses with the impassive white. "They will hatch soon."

"Will they?" Khaldonius' eyes gleamed with excitement. He squeezed as much of himself as he could through the entrance, coiling up and nudging Alouette between his forepaws. She settled, but reluctantly; her eyes were drawn constantly to a particular corner of the den. "Will you be happy to add a few more to your brood, my dear?"

The green looked at him sharply, but not with anger or distaste. Her smile was wide enough for her fangs to catch the slivers of light. "More?" she purred. "How many more?"

"As many as my queen desires." He nuzzled her, and at last Alouette ceased her fidgeting. Khaldonius closed his eyes, content to imagine a world for Lanis, only Lanis, swallowing their clan enemies whole.
Karala lifted her great head as a flock of birds burst suddenly from the mountainside, sending a shiver through the treetops. Their wheeling, screaming mass disappeared a moment later, but their echoes rang along the ridges, eerily deepening even as they faded away.

"Strange," she murmured to herself, swinging her antlered crown around to gaze fondly at the eggs nestled between her paws. They were deep brown in color, richer than the bark of an oak and flecked in gold. Bending, she sniffed, inhaling the earthy scent of them. Still weeks off from hatching. The uneasiness that had set in on her as the birds took wing grew sharper, and she uncurled restlessly from the nest, her maternal ire raised.

It was not uncommon for mothers such as Karala to never leave their nests. Anticipating the oncoming brood some months before, she had hunted with greater fervor than usual, storing up the fat so that she could attend to her hatchlings' birth without compromising their safety. Fathers rarely stuck around after courtship; they were fighters, males, hungry for conflict. Powerful clans ruled their lives. Females occasionally reached respectable ranks in such places, but not easily, and never when they were of breeding age. Most tended to be indifferent to the clan politics, as they changed them as easily as brood partners; after all, should one want to pursue such power, they would be restricted to the clan of their most recent mate. Karala supposed that made her a designate of the Navarians, technically, but she had been born Capri and made many friends in Jovia and Lanis. The true friction of the clans only really came to bear during egg season, when they fought for primacy and sought the greatest number of females, and therefore male hatchlings, that they could.

It was all a headache Karala did not enjoy dealing with, so she had chosen the privacy of the mountain valleys for her rearing. Now it appeared it wasn't as private as she had thought. Shifting from claw to claw, she looked anxiously at her little nest and back to where the birds had flown from. Her rust-colored wings unfolded, swirls of blue winking in the midafternoon sun. "I'll be gone for just a moment," she said finally. Primed on the edge of the cliff, she dove off of it, her sinuous body straightening in the glorious instance of flight.

Immediately, she knew she had made a mistake. A shadow flitting up the mountainside caught her eye even as she fell away from it. Karala let out an enormous bellow, shaking the valley in her rising rage and terror as the shadow streaked toward the nest she had so recently vacated. Twisting around, she beat her wings in mighty sweeps, straining for altitude, claws outstretched as though they would seize the sky itself to pull her on in desperation.

She didn't make it.

- - -

"How many so far, Killian?" An enormous white dragon with ridges of golden scales sat imperiously on a rocky outcropping, his tail coiled lazily around it. Beneath, a thin shelf supported a much smaller creature with powerful legs and an odd harness composed of many belts and buckles. "About... forty, Lord Khaldonius. Many from healthy nests. Some of the southern scouts have brought back runty ones, but we've put those aside until hatching time. A few could be of use."

Khaldonius snorted contemptuously. His claws curled into the rock, their polished sheen unmarred by the screeching crunch of stone splitting around them. "Lanis has no use for runts. We must be a powerful breed if we are to conquer our rivals and rule them. Only the best will be permitted to carry our name into battle, and females who produce runts will be banned from our mating flights. Where is Alouette, by and by?" The proud leader lowered his head until he was looking at Killian directly, eyes bright with interest. The younger male shuffled uneasily and set his harness to jangling. "She is caring for the... nest," he reported, hesitating slightly.

"Wonderful. I will go see her, then. Inform the scouts that the numbers are to be doubled next week." Killian departed hastily, amusing Khaldonius to no end. Slowly, stretching as he did so, the dragon uncoiled himself from the precipice and turned around, descending the cliffside in a series of graceful jumps. Lanis' home was deep inside the Frozenfire Canyon; many of its cliff faces were hundreds of feet high, their stone walls brilliantly colored with rippling waves of gold, copper, and sunset granite. Alouette's den was at the base of one such earthly mosaic, a clear river of water no deeper than an average dragon's belly flowing slowly by its entrance. Khaldonius glanced upward for a brief moment before entering, noting how distant the sky seemed from this safe haven down below.

The lair smelled of river reeds and Alouette; a sharp, evergreen aroma that wakened Khaldonius' senses as strongly as it had the day of their mating flight. Smoky red eyes watched him from the darkness. "Come out, my sweet," he whispered, coaxing a slim, petite green from the shadows. "Ah, are you hungry, my dear?"

"No." In the light of day, Alouette was a stunningly beautiful creature. Her scales shone like underwater jade, and her mane was as white and pure as Khaldonius' own scales. Black antlers hung with tiny golden links grew in demure sweeps from her ears, as though offended by the very danger they implied. She hesitated, then took a few more steps forward, shyly lifting her head to touch noses with the impassive white. "They will hatch soon."

"Will they?" Khaldonius' eyes gleamed with excitement. He squeezed as much of himself as he could through the entrance, coiling up and nudging Alouette between his forepaws. She settled, but reluctantly; her eyes were drawn constantly to a particular corner of the den. "Will you be happy to add a few more to your brood, my dear?"

The green looked at him sharply, but not with anger or distaste. Her smile was wide enough for her fangs to catch the slivers of light. "More?" she purred. "How many more?"

"As many as my queen desires." He nuzzled her, and at last Alouette ceased her fidgeting. Khaldonius closed his eyes, content to imagine a world for Lanis, only Lanis, swallowing their clan enemies whole.
(Going to bed for now, but feel free to ping me if you would like to jump in and I'll get back to you tomorrow.)
(Going to bed for now, but feel free to ping me if you would like to jump in and I'll get back to you tomorrow.)
(@bellancawings I love your writing style, and I'm interested in knowing more about the world you're creating! If you don't mind, I'm fairly new to roleplay interactions, especially on this site, but I'd like to start participating instead of just reading and admiring. So, here goes!) Thalassa: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26206904] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/262070/26206904_350.png[/img] [/url] "Please, let me fight!" Thalassa hounded after Dusk, who stalked forward doing his best to dissuade the young dragon. "I've been training for months now, I'm just as good as the males. Ask my sparring partners!" The larger warrior with dull blue scales finally stopped and turned, giving her his trademark glare. "Thalassa, we've discussed this before." Dusk huffed, cutting off her incessant pleas. In his deep, projecting voice, he continued, "You, and every other female have a duty to this clan." "But I-" Thalassa was immediately cut off again. She couldn't help but shrivel in his presence, along with every other dragon under the general's command. He wasn't the leader of a group of hardened warriors for nothing. "You will lay on your next nest obediently and help male hatchlings train for war. Nothing. More. " He raised his voice to a rumbling growl, "Do I make myself clear?" He paused, now towering over her as his neck stretched upwards to it's full length. Dusk was older than most, and his size showed it. He stared her down, his fiery orange eyes smoldering as he dared her to reply. Thalassa found her blood boiling, but swallowed her pride lest it cause her to lose any hope she had of fighting alongside her brothers in battle. She could not stand laying on nests all the time. "I long for the thrill of battle, the surge of adrenaline as I tear my enemies apart in the name of our clan." Gaining Dusk's attention, and hoping he didn't interrupt, Thalassa took a breath and chose her next few words carefully. "My talents for battle will serve the clan well, Dusk. There are plenty of egg-layers and nesting mothers, but you always need more warriors. Why can't you see that the way things have always been isn't the way they should always be?" With her words said, Thalassa studied the face of the general in front of her. She could almost see the cogs turning in his head, and prayed that he would at least think about letting her fight. Finally, Dusk growled, rumbling the ground under them both, and echoing down the corridor. "That fierce battle skill of yours is exactly why you will be confined to the boundaries of the clan. Your hatchlings will be fine warriors, and I don't want to lose a brood mother in battle." His eyes glimmered at her defeated expression, enjoying the victory his words had over her, but she would not give up hope. She would show him, and everyone, how wrong they were to keep her locked up as a mere brood mother. Growling, but knowing that the general would not be persuaded, Thalassa stormed away. ---
(@bellancawings I love your writing style, and I'm interested in knowing more about the world you're creating! If you don't mind, I'm fairly new to roleplay interactions, especially on this site, but I'd like to start participating instead of just reading and admiring. So, here goes!)

Thalassa:

26206904_350.png

"Please, let me fight!" Thalassa hounded after Dusk, who stalked forward doing his best to dissuade the young dragon. "I've been training for months now, I'm just as good as the males. Ask my sparring partners!" The larger warrior with dull blue scales finally stopped and turned, giving her his trademark glare.

"Thalassa, we've discussed this before." Dusk huffed, cutting off her incessant pleas. In his deep, projecting voice, he continued, "You, and every other female have a duty to this clan."

"But I-" Thalassa was immediately cut off again. She couldn't help but shrivel in his presence, along with every other dragon under the general's command. He wasn't the leader of a group of hardened warriors for nothing.

"You will lay on your next nest obediently and help male hatchlings train for war. Nothing. More. " He raised his voice to a rumbling growl, "Do I make myself clear?" He paused, now towering over her as his neck stretched upwards to it's full length. Dusk was older than most, and his size showed it. He stared her down, his fiery orange eyes smoldering as he dared her to reply.

Thalassa found her blood boiling, but swallowed her pride lest it cause her to lose any hope she had of fighting alongside her brothers in battle. She could not stand laying on nests all the time. "I long for the thrill of battle, the surge of adrenaline as I tear my enemies apart in the name of our clan." Gaining Dusk's attention, and hoping he didn't interrupt, Thalassa took a breath and chose her next few words carefully. "My talents for battle will serve the clan well, Dusk. There are plenty of egg-layers and nesting mothers, but you always need more warriors. Why can't you see that the way things have always been isn't the way they should always be?" With her words said, Thalassa studied the face of the general in front of her. She could almost see the cogs turning in his head, and prayed that he would at least think about letting her fight.

Finally, Dusk growled, rumbling the ground under them both, and echoing down the corridor. "That fierce battle skill of yours is exactly why you will be confined to the boundaries of the clan. Your hatchlings will be fine warriors, and I don't want to lose a brood mother in battle." His eyes glimmered at her defeated expression, enjoying the victory his words had over her, but she would not give up hope. She would show him, and everyone, how wrong they were to keep her locked up as a mere brood mother. Growling, but knowing that the general would not be persuaded, Thalassa stormed away.

---
zyvrj7C.png rkylBBV.png x0CMhAc.png
Silas: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28179590] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/281796/28179590_350.png[/img] [/url] Spiraling through the sky, Silas roared in delight at the feeling of freedom that only flight could bring. Twisting in the air this way and that, he studied the glittering specks of sunlight reflecting off his wings and scales, delighting in his golden body. Tucking in his wings, he plummeted down toward the forest below, wind screaming past his ears and gravity pulling him faster, faster, faster down! He waited until the ground rushed toward him faster than a tongue flick, the spiky trees reminding him of serrated spears poking out of the ground, then angled his head horizontal to the ground and let his wings unfurl. The speed with which he swept across the forest was incredible. He zigged and zagged this way and that, dodging some of the larger trees that blocked his path. The forest was a blur below him, and he imagined he looked like a golden dart to any forest creatures glancing up at his passing. Angling his head upward slightly, he slowed and ascended, wings beating every now and again to keep his form aloft. Once he reached cruising altitude, he studied the distance he had gone with the dive and treeline race. Quite a ways, it turned out, as a lake was now visible in the distance. Deciding to investigate this new area, Silas continued his aerial adventures as he wove through the air like a ribbon. There was no life like the free life, and Silas enjoyed every second of his freedom as he tried not to think about the dragon wars happening seemingly everywhere these days. Landing by the lake, which wasn't larger than a few tail lengths and surrounded by reeds, Silas took a few large gulps of green-blue water. He yawned and looked around, not tired from flying, but eager to rest his wings for a bit before continuing his wanderings. Spying a rock jutting up from the middle of the small lake, Silas leaped over to it and curled around the smooth surface. A buzzing nearby caught his attention as a hoard of dragonflies darted from the rock he had landed on and zipped over the water, swarming around his new perch. "Well I'm sorry, I like this rock. Were you resting here?" Silas asked them, though he knew they wouldn't answer. Some darted back to rest on places he wasn't covering, and he settled with them. A fish jumped, and the ripples made tiny waves lap against the rock. Sighing, Silas remarked on the serene feeling of being surrounded by nature and not politicking, shrewd, greedy dragons. "The life of a wanderer is a good life indeed," He mused. "Then wander away, you annoying greedy dragon. Get off my rock!" A raspy, grumpy voice startled Silas so much that he nearly fell into the water. Peering around for the source, Silas spied a muddy figure rising out of the lake near the rock he'd settled on. The thing sloshed toward him, but Silas held his ground. "Who are you?" He asked, getting to his feet in case his wings were needed to get him out of range of this creature. "Doesn't matter. You wouldn't care to know, anyway." The grumpy thing drew closer, reeking of decaying plant matter and buzzing as insects swarmed to it. It reached the rock and stared at Silas, then started climbing up. Silas took off, circling and observing as the thing climbed to the spot he'd been resting at, then it hunkered down and looked like it could be part of the rock itself. [i]What an odd fellow[/i], Silas thought to himself, then decided to move on before he met any other denizens of the small lake. [indent](After the dialogue-heavy interaction between Thalassa and Dusk, I couldn't help introduce Silas and his description-heavy wanderings. I'm curious to know exactly who inhabits this land - are there only dragons? Are there humans? How big are some of these clans? I'm guessing warring is commonplace for territory and status among clans, but there's still those that choose to remove themselves from the whole mess. I'm excited to continue fleshing out this world you've begun to build. :3 )[/indent]
Silas:

28179590_350.png

Spiraling through the sky, Silas roared in delight at the feeling of freedom that only flight could bring. Twisting in the air this way and that, he studied the glittering specks of sunlight reflecting off his wings and scales, delighting in his golden body. Tucking in his wings, he plummeted down toward the forest below, wind screaming past his ears and gravity pulling him faster, faster, faster down! He waited until the ground rushed toward him faster than a tongue flick, the spiky trees reminding him of serrated spears poking out of the ground, then angled his head horizontal to the ground and let his wings unfurl.

The speed with which he swept across the forest was incredible. He zigged and zagged this way and that, dodging some of the larger trees that blocked his path. The forest was a blur below him, and he imagined he looked like a golden dart to any forest creatures glancing up at his passing. Angling his head upward slightly, he slowed and ascended, wings beating every now and again to keep his form aloft.

Once he reached cruising altitude, he studied the distance he had gone with the dive and treeline race. Quite a ways, it turned out, as a lake was now visible in the distance. Deciding to investigate this new area, Silas continued his aerial adventures as he wove through the air like a ribbon. There was no life like the free life, and Silas enjoyed every second of his freedom as he tried not to think about the dragon wars happening seemingly everywhere these days.

Landing by the lake, which wasn't larger than a few tail lengths and surrounded by reeds, Silas took a few large gulps of green-blue water. He yawned and looked around, not tired from flying, but eager to rest his wings for a bit before continuing his wanderings. Spying a rock jutting up from the middle of the small lake, Silas leaped over to it and curled around the smooth surface. A buzzing nearby caught his attention as a hoard of dragonflies darted from the rock he had landed on and zipped over the water, swarming around his new perch.

"Well I'm sorry, I like this rock. Were you resting here?" Silas asked them, though he knew they wouldn't answer. Some darted back to rest on places he wasn't covering, and he settled with them. A fish jumped, and the ripples made tiny waves lap against the rock. Sighing, Silas remarked on the serene feeling of being surrounded by nature and not politicking, shrewd, greedy dragons. "The life of a wanderer is a good life indeed," He mused.

"Then wander away, you annoying greedy dragon. Get off my rock!" A raspy, grumpy voice startled Silas so much that he nearly fell into the water. Peering around for the source, Silas spied a muddy figure rising out of the lake near the rock he'd settled on. The thing sloshed toward him, but Silas held his ground.

"Who are you?" He asked, getting to his feet in case his wings were needed to get him out of range of this creature.

"Doesn't matter. You wouldn't care to know, anyway." The grumpy thing drew closer, reeking of decaying plant matter and buzzing as insects swarmed to it. It reached the rock and stared at Silas, then started climbing up.

Silas took off, circling and observing as the thing climbed to the spot he'd been resting at, then it hunkered down and looked like it could be part of the rock itself. What an odd fellow, Silas thought to himself, then decided to move on before he met any other denizens of the small lake.

(After the dialogue-heavy interaction between Thalassa and Dusk, I couldn't help introduce Silas and his description-heavy wanderings. I'm curious to know exactly who inhabits this land - are there only dragons? Are there humans? How big are some of these clans? I'm guessing warring is commonplace for territory and status among clans, but there's still those that choose to remove themselves from the whole mess. I'm excited to continue fleshing out this world you've begun to build. :3 )
(Hey @EmeraldDragon13! Thanks for the compliments, you're too nice. Your intros are fantastic, by the way.

A few words on what I've got so far:

The region is divided into four shifting territories. Each clan is composed of males and females organized loosely by a clan leader and his chosen subordinates. Males and females with newly hatched broods capable of flight tend to form the body of such clans, while unburdened females and exiled males wander freely. For most of the year, clans will compete for hunting and territorial rights, and have several celebrations of strength and battle prowess throughout. At egg season, conflicts are more likely to turn violent, as clans begin aggressively pursuing females of breeding age no matter their alignment. Males can be protective at this time, and females can choose not to take a particular mate, though this is considered somewhat unusual as the instinct the bear strong hatchlings can overcome personal distaste.

Lanis is breaking many rules at the moment. Under the iron claw of Khaldonius, a clever, charismatic leader, the clan has organized themselves into strict groups of battle-hardened fighters and brood mothers. Females of breeding age who do not have nests have been forbidden to leave the territory, and are instead charged with caring for the eggs stolen by Lanis scouts. The intent is twofold; weaken enemy clans by stealing their new blood, and strengthen Lanis numbers and Lanis strength. Any scout that allows him/herself to be caught and compromise the utter secrecy of Lanis actions is promised retribution at Khaldonius' own claws, and so far, nothing has been said.

A truce has been called among the four clans in light of the thefts. They are to meet on the new moon at the one point all four territories touch: the Sky Tree, an enormous oak whose branches are wide enough to support fully grown dragons. The new moon will rise tomorrow night.

Please feel free to add more as we go! This is a skeleton setting so far, though I have more plot twists in mind.)

"You! Where are my eggs? Where did you take them, you filthy bog-wyrm?!"

A huge shadow passed over the lake, rapidly shrinking as its caster dove from great heights. Karala was weeping even as she roared in rage with her claws spread. She had been tracking the thief through the night; her eyes were sore and red from lack of sleep, and her stomach ached with an emptiness that was more profound than any meal could satisfy. The shining golden creature before her seemed to blur at the edges, so she narrowed her gaze, pained by the sunny brilliance of it. The difficulty only increased her fury as she straightened out like a gargantuan arrow shot from hundreds of miles away, her tail a feathered quill of blue, brown, and red. Hitting the stranger could very well spell disaster for them both.

"Give them back! Give them back to me!"

_ _ _

"Lost again, Thalassa?" Rosencrantz flicked his tail as the female stalked by. He was sunning himself on a rock, wings outstretched to attain the maximum degree of warmth. Lazily opening one eye, he fixed her in a bright yellow gaze and bared his fangs in a grin. "Your bad mood is spoiling my nap."

The little male was more annoying than a threat, and his insolence was tolerated by the more substantial members of his squad. Deep gold in color, his wine-red tiger stripes seemed to lend an aura of ferocity that was out of place with his runty size. He had a particular fascination with freshwater pearls, and right now he toyed with strings of the stuff between his talons, careful not to tangle the cord. "You know Dusk is never going to train a female. Why don't you stick to hunting deer if you want some sport in your life?"
(Hey @EmeraldDragon13! Thanks for the compliments, you're too nice. Your intros are fantastic, by the way.

A few words on what I've got so far:

The region is divided into four shifting territories. Each clan is composed of males and females organized loosely by a clan leader and his chosen subordinates. Males and females with newly hatched broods capable of flight tend to form the body of such clans, while unburdened females and exiled males wander freely. For most of the year, clans will compete for hunting and territorial rights, and have several celebrations of strength and battle prowess throughout. At egg season, conflicts are more likely to turn violent, as clans begin aggressively pursuing females of breeding age no matter their alignment. Males can be protective at this time, and females can choose not to take a particular mate, though this is considered somewhat unusual as the instinct the bear strong hatchlings can overcome personal distaste.

Lanis is breaking many rules at the moment. Under the iron claw of Khaldonius, a clever, charismatic leader, the clan has organized themselves into strict groups of battle-hardened fighters and brood mothers. Females of breeding age who do not have nests have been forbidden to leave the territory, and are instead charged with caring for the eggs stolen by Lanis scouts. The intent is twofold; weaken enemy clans by stealing their new blood, and strengthen Lanis numbers and Lanis strength. Any scout that allows him/herself to be caught and compromise the utter secrecy of Lanis actions is promised retribution at Khaldonius' own claws, and so far, nothing has been said.

A truce has been called among the four clans in light of the thefts. They are to meet on the new moon at the one point all four territories touch: the Sky Tree, an enormous oak whose branches are wide enough to support fully grown dragons. The new moon will rise tomorrow night.

Please feel free to add more as we go! This is a skeleton setting so far, though I have more plot twists in mind.)

"You! Where are my eggs? Where did you take them, you filthy bog-wyrm?!"

A huge shadow passed over the lake, rapidly shrinking as its caster dove from great heights. Karala was weeping even as she roared in rage with her claws spread. She had been tracking the thief through the night; her eyes were sore and red from lack of sleep, and her stomach ached with an emptiness that was more profound than any meal could satisfy. The shining golden creature before her seemed to blur at the edges, so she narrowed her gaze, pained by the sunny brilliance of it. The difficulty only increased her fury as she straightened out like a gargantuan arrow shot from hundreds of miles away, her tail a feathered quill of blue, brown, and red. Hitting the stranger could very well spell disaster for them both.

"Give them back! Give them back to me!"

_ _ _

"Lost again, Thalassa?" Rosencrantz flicked his tail as the female stalked by. He was sunning himself on a rock, wings outstretched to attain the maximum degree of warmth. Lazily opening one eye, he fixed her in a bright yellow gaze and bared his fangs in a grin. "Your bad mood is spoiling my nap."

The little male was more annoying than a threat, and his insolence was tolerated by the more substantial members of his squad. Deep gold in color, his wine-red tiger stripes seemed to lend an aura of ferocity that was out of place with his runty size. He had a particular fascination with freshwater pearls, and right now he toyed with strings of the stuff between his talons, careful not to tangle the cord. "You know Dusk is never going to train a female. Why don't you stick to hunting deer if you want some sport in your life?"
(@bellancawings This is some nice world building you have going on!) [img]https://68.media.tumblr.com/7a5a74f74a9a17f4a0345b6b0e30c44b/tumblr_oik55cBPio1srw314o1_400.png[/img] Weary growls filled her ears as she looked up at the sky watching a large flock of birds fly overhead. Guro was tired, but she knew that if she stopped to take a break she would be left behind. With a wistful sigh she looked at her companions, all of them battle worn and world weary. Each dragon had at least one scar somewhere on their person, a few even were missing an eye or a limb. Guro wasn’t originally part of the ragtag group of dragons, only joining in for protection, as there was always strength in numbers, after all. Besides the sound of their heavy steps, there was the creaking of the wheels of a grand caravan, which was in the center of their march to ensure its protection. It didn’t take a genius to know that all the clan’s eggs were being kept inside of it, what with all the females periodically checking inside and the majority of them being only a few steps away from it. Guro had no brood of her own to fret after, she was too busy trying to keep up with the rest of the nomadic clan. “Not getting tired, are you?” one of the males said to her. He wore mostly green attire and certain scales glistened like gold on his body, making him look like he was covered in golden scars. Guro rolled her eyes. Of course she was tired. “We’ve been walking for almost an entire day now, what do you think?” she said, words laced with venom. She had no wish to make friends or think of joining this clan. They would chase her off eventually if they ever found out about her past crimes. The male gave a hearty laugh. He looked at her with yellow eyes that seem to sparkle, and to Guro that was never a good sign. “No need to get so defensive, I already have a mate, no worries love! Name’s Flint by the way.” he said in a flirty tone as he extended his hand in greeting. She didn’t take it. “I’m not going to stay here for long, you know, I’m only staying until I know that it would be safe for me to travel on my own.” Flint whistled, “I thought the same thing when I first joined this clan, but who knows? We might grow on ya, and you might want to stay after all!” He said with a smile. She frowned in response. Flint finally left her, which was a relief to her, but as she noticed he went ahead to converse with a female who had recently checked in the caravan, she could have sworn she saw glowing eyes behind the curtain. Guro rubbed her face. The fatigue must have been getting to her. After a few more hours the caravan finally stopped once they came across a thicket. The caravan had gone into to rest, the underbrush around them acting as camouflage to protecting them and their precious cargo from attackers. Most of the dragons gathered for a quick meeting then disappeared to gather food and find a drink of water before continuing on their journey. Guro walked towards the caravan, and the majority of the females glared at her as she walked past. She didn’t mind. She was an outsider, they had every right to distrust her. The caravan was being pulled by two dragons, one black and one white, female and male. They were practically yin and yang. They stopped conversing when they noticed the red blotched dragon approaching, they had a surprised look in their eyes for a second. Guro was mostly white, but the deep crimson piebald marks on her scales made her look like she had been drenched in blood. “Do you need something?” “How can we help you?” they both asked in unison, which took her by surprise but Guro managed to find her voice, “I was just curious why you all move around so much, wouldn’t it be better to stay in one territory?” The land-bound dragons looked to each other before looking back at Guro. The dark one answered, “Well you see, we’re mostly made up of dragons that have been wandering their whole life, defected from their clan for whatever reason, or were exiled.” The white dragon then began to speak after the other had finished, raising his false arm that was carved from stone. “Most of us were considered burdens or unfit to be warriors, so we all banded together to form this Clan, there are probably many like us, our clans are small so we wouldn’t be able to keep claim over much territory against bigger clans like Lanis.” he explained. After getting her question answered, Guro bowed politely and thanked them before going off on her own in order to get some grub. She had gotten far enough into the bush that the caravan was out of sight when she heard the rustling of trees and distressed shrieks nearby. With all that ruckus any hunting game that suited her fancy would have been long gone into hiding. With an agitated sigh she marched forward, her curiosity guiding her to find what the commotion was all about. (I hope I didn't make her introduction too long ;w;)
(@bellancawings This is some nice world building you have going on!)

tumblr_oik55cBPio1srw314o1_400.png

Weary growls filled her ears as she looked up at the sky watching a large flock of birds fly overhead. Guro was tired, but she knew that if she stopped to take a break she would be left behind. With a wistful sigh she looked at her companions, all of them battle worn and world weary. Each dragon had at least one scar somewhere on their person, a few even were missing an eye or a limb. Guro wasn’t originally part of the ragtag group of dragons, only joining in for protection, as there was always strength in numbers, after all.

Besides the sound of their heavy steps, there was the creaking of the wheels of a grand caravan, which was in the center of their march to ensure its protection. It didn’t take a genius to know that all the clan’s eggs were being kept inside of it, what with all the females periodically checking inside and the majority of them being only a few steps away from it. Guro had no brood of her own to fret after, she was too busy trying to keep up with the rest of the nomadic clan.

“Not getting tired, are you?” one of the males said to her. He wore mostly green attire and certain scales glistened like gold on his body, making him look like he was covered in golden scars. Guro rolled her eyes. Of course she was tired. “We’ve been walking for almost an entire day now, what do you think?” she said, words laced with venom. She had no wish to make friends or think of joining this clan. They would chase her off eventually if they ever found out about her past crimes.

The male gave a hearty laugh. He looked at her with yellow eyes that seem to sparkle, and to Guro that was never a good sign. “No need to get so defensive, I already have a mate, no worries love! Name’s Flint by the way.” he said in a flirty tone as he extended his hand in greeting. She didn’t take it. “I’m not going to stay here for long, you know, I’m only staying until I know that it would be safe for me to travel on my own.”

Flint whistled, “I thought the same thing when I first joined this clan, but who knows? We might grow on ya, and you might want to stay after all!” He said with a smile. She frowned in response. Flint finally left her, which was a relief to her, but as she noticed he went ahead to converse with a female who had recently checked in the caravan, she could have sworn she saw glowing eyes behind the curtain. Guro rubbed her face. The fatigue must have been getting to her.

After a few more hours the caravan finally stopped once they came across a thicket. The caravan had gone into to rest, the underbrush around them acting as camouflage to protecting them and their precious cargo from attackers. Most of the dragons gathered for a quick meeting then disappeared to gather food and find a drink of water before continuing on their journey. Guro walked towards the caravan, and the majority of the females glared at her as she walked past. She didn’t mind. She was an outsider, they had every right to distrust her.

The caravan was being pulled by two dragons, one black and one white, female and male. They were practically yin and yang. They stopped conversing when they noticed the red blotched dragon approaching, they had a surprised look in their eyes for a second. Guro was mostly white, but the deep crimson piebald marks on her scales made her look like she had been drenched in blood. “Do you need something?” “How can we help you?” they both asked in unison, which took her by surprise but Guro managed to find her voice, “I was just curious why you all move around so much, wouldn’t it be better to stay in one territory?”

The land-bound dragons looked to each other before looking back at Guro. The dark one answered, “Well you see, we’re mostly made up of dragons that have been wandering their whole life, defected from their clan for whatever reason, or were exiled.” The white dragon then began to speak after the other had finished, raising his false arm that was carved from stone. “Most of us were considered burdens or unfit to be warriors, so we all banded together to form this Clan, there are probably many like us, our clans are small so we wouldn’t be able to keep claim over much territory against bigger clans like Lanis.” he explained.

After getting her question answered, Guro bowed politely and thanked them before going off on her own in order to get some grub. She had gotten far enough into the bush that the caravan was out of sight when she heard the rustling of trees and distressed shrieks nearby. With all that ruckus any hunting game that suited her fancy would have been long gone into hiding. With an agitated sigh she marched forward, her curiosity guiding her to find what the commotion was all about.

(I hope I didn't make her introduction too long ;w;)
(@LazyChimera thank you, and not at all. Looking forward to this unfolding. :3)
(@LazyChimera thank you, and not at all. Looking forward to this unfolding. :3)
"Shut up, runt!" Thalassa snapped at Rosencrantz, then caught herself as she realized that taking out her frustrations at him wouldn't help her in any way. Sighing, she padded over to sit next to him, plopping down in a huff and grudgingly acknowledged his words. "Sorry" she mumbled while turning over small rocks in her claws, "I shouldn't be snapping at you, but it's not like I can snap at Dusk either..."

She moved into a position where the sun hit her wings in just the right way, sending warmth throughout her body. The striped male did indeed have a good sunning spot, though she wouldn't admit that his activity was helping ease her mood. "You don't have to worry about being forced to sit on a nest for weeks at a time. Instead, you're out there hunting and patrolling with the rest of the warriors. Fighting and meeting other dragons... Having adventures." She glanced up at Rosencrantz, with his string of pearls and care-free attitude, and longed to have the privileges he had simply by being male. "If only I'd been born a male. Then I could be hunting dragons instead of boring deer." She crushed several small pebbles in her claws with a satisfying crunching sound, then watched the dust filter out of her fist, small specks catching the light and glimmering briefly before falling to the ground in front of her.

Just rocks becoming smaller rocks, as eggs became smaller dragons. Then those dragons growing up and going out to fight, with many dying in the process. If she could fight with them, she was confident that more would survive, that more would make it back home with her help... She drifted off in thought as her frustrations turned to sorrow at all the lives she wanted to save, to protect, but couldn't because she was stuck laying and caring for eggs.

"What's the point of hatching more young if they just end up dying before having a chance to live?" She whispered aloud, absorbed in her own thoughts and not really caring if Rosencrantz heard her or not. "I just want to fight with them. If I could then maybe all my babies wouldn't be dead..."

(@bellancawings Silas is a neutral party, I'm not sure if you were giving me a chance to have him be the dragon that stole Karala's eggs or not, but I'll let another dragon take the hook for that story. :3 He's more than likely to run into Guro, in fact... @LazyChimera time to have Silas tie some of the dragons together.)
"Shut up, runt!" Thalassa snapped at Rosencrantz, then caught herself as she realized that taking out her frustrations at him wouldn't help her in any way. Sighing, she padded over to sit next to him, plopping down in a huff and grudgingly acknowledged his words. "Sorry" she mumbled while turning over small rocks in her claws, "I shouldn't be snapping at you, but it's not like I can snap at Dusk either..."

She moved into a position where the sun hit her wings in just the right way, sending warmth throughout her body. The striped male did indeed have a good sunning spot, though she wouldn't admit that his activity was helping ease her mood. "You don't have to worry about being forced to sit on a nest for weeks at a time. Instead, you're out there hunting and patrolling with the rest of the warriors. Fighting and meeting other dragons... Having adventures." She glanced up at Rosencrantz, with his string of pearls and care-free attitude, and longed to have the privileges he had simply by being male. "If only I'd been born a male. Then I could be hunting dragons instead of boring deer." She crushed several small pebbles in her claws with a satisfying crunching sound, then watched the dust filter out of her fist, small specks catching the light and glimmering briefly before falling to the ground in front of her.

Just rocks becoming smaller rocks, as eggs became smaller dragons. Then those dragons growing up and going out to fight, with many dying in the process. If she could fight with them, she was confident that more would survive, that more would make it back home with her help... She drifted off in thought as her frustrations turned to sorrow at all the lives she wanted to save, to protect, but couldn't because she was stuck laying and caring for eggs.

"What's the point of hatching more young if they just end up dying before having a chance to live?" She whispered aloud, absorbed in her own thoughts and not really caring if Rosencrantz heard her or not. "I just want to fight with them. If I could then maybe all my babies wouldn't be dead..."

(@bellancawings Silas is a neutral party, I'm not sure if you were giving me a chance to have him be the dragon that stole Karala's eggs or not, but I'll let another dragon take the hook for that story. :3 He's more than likely to run into Guro, in fact... @LazyChimera time to have Silas tie some of the dragons together.)
Silas crept toward the bird nests as sneakily as his shiny golden scales would allow. They were all focused in one particular tree, a relatively large tree for the area with a trunk so thick that Silas would barely be able to wrap himself around it fully. The broad leaves blocked much of the sunlight from hitting the forest floor, which was fortunate as it allowed Silas to sneak somewhat effectively. He wound around spots where the sun pierced through the canopy, making his way towards the large tree.

The mountain area he'd come across was strangely devoid of larger prey like deer, so when he came across an abundance of nests in one tree, his growling stomach drove him to eat whatever he could find. As long as the flock of birds didn't peck the bajeesus out of him, he might be able to snag a few eggs and dart away before they could catch him.

Closer, closer... He reached the trunk and slowly began climbing, digging his claws into the rough bark and heading toward the nearest nest-covered branch. He was a tail-length from the first nest, which was nestled in the crook of the branch and trunk, when it all went wrong.

A single caw alerted every bird in the tree, and within seconds a chorus of shrieks and claws swirled around Silas even as he lunged toward the nest, desperate for an egg or two to satisfy his belly. He clawed his way to the nest, attempting to bat away the hoard of birds pecking and slicing at his scaled body in the process. He snapped at ones around his head, but they were speedy things and he only got mouthfuls of feathers. The flock was so numerous that he made his way by memory rather than sight, so his soft bits and eyes were somewhat protected from the fury of the birds. He felt tiny cuts and pecks at his underbelly, tail, and wings, no matter how he twisted to fend off the swarm. Feeling around where the nest should be, he was greeted with more jabbing and pecking, though he eventually felt the small round eggs sitting securely in a nest of sticks and feathers. He grabbed what he could and leaped from the tree, curling up and attempting to save his wings from being ripped apart as the flock pelted him still. He shoved the eggs in his mouth and bounded away from the tree, hitting the ground running and attempting to outrun the swarming tempest of birds he had angered.

He opened his eyes as the birds fell away from him. He was too late, however, to avoid running headfirst into a white and red-blotched dragon. (@LazyChimera)
Silas crept toward the bird nests as sneakily as his shiny golden scales would allow. They were all focused in one particular tree, a relatively large tree for the area with a trunk so thick that Silas would barely be able to wrap himself around it fully. The broad leaves blocked much of the sunlight from hitting the forest floor, which was fortunate as it allowed Silas to sneak somewhat effectively. He wound around spots where the sun pierced through the canopy, making his way towards the large tree.

The mountain area he'd come across was strangely devoid of larger prey like deer, so when he came across an abundance of nests in one tree, his growling stomach drove him to eat whatever he could find. As long as the flock of birds didn't peck the bajeesus out of him, he might be able to snag a few eggs and dart away before they could catch him.

Closer, closer... He reached the trunk and slowly began climbing, digging his claws into the rough bark and heading toward the nearest nest-covered branch. He was a tail-length from the first nest, which was nestled in the crook of the branch and trunk, when it all went wrong.

A single caw alerted every bird in the tree, and within seconds a chorus of shrieks and claws swirled around Silas even as he lunged toward the nest, desperate for an egg or two to satisfy his belly. He clawed his way to the nest, attempting to bat away the hoard of birds pecking and slicing at his scaled body in the process. He snapped at ones around his head, but they were speedy things and he only got mouthfuls of feathers. The flock was so numerous that he made his way by memory rather than sight, so his soft bits and eyes were somewhat protected from the fury of the birds. He felt tiny cuts and pecks at his underbelly, tail, and wings, no matter how he twisted to fend off the swarm. Feeling around where the nest should be, he was greeted with more jabbing and pecking, though he eventually felt the small round eggs sitting securely in a nest of sticks and feathers. He grabbed what he could and leaped from the tree, curling up and attempting to save his wings from being ripped apart as the flock pelted him still. He shoved the eggs in his mouth and bounded away from the tree, hitting the ground running and attempting to outrun the swarming tempest of birds he had angered.

He opened his eyes as the birds fell away from him. He was too late, however, to avoid running headfirst into a white and red-blotched dragon. (@LazyChimera)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16