Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The new gif/jif debate
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
[quote name="EclipseDragon" date="2019-06-10 11:34:17" ] I can get onboard with calling them "jailers", Gaolers is just the older version of that, which makes sense cause ancient breeds. Sort of like wyrm pronounced as "worm" which my brain equates not with dragons but... worms. [quote name="CometStorm" date="2019-06-10 10:51:47" ] team gif. GRAPHIC interchange format. not jraphic [/quote] This however, I will die on this hill. It's gif, as in gift without the T. It's an acronym, the G stands for "Graphics" it doesn't change the pronunciation, I don't care what the guy who made it said, he was trolling. [emoji=gaoler deadpan size=2] [/quote] I just betrayed everything I stand for and read gif as jif cause I've been looking at this thread for too long [emoji=skull size=1]
EclipseDragon wrote on 2019-06-10 11:34:17:
I can get onboard with calling them "jailers", Gaolers is just the older version of that, which makes sense cause ancient breeds. Sort of like wyrm pronounced as "worm" which my brain equates not with dragons but... worms.

CometStorm wrote on 2019-06-10 10:51:47:
team gif. GRAPHIC interchange format. not jraphic

This however, I will die on this hill. It's gif, as in gift without the T. It's an acronym, the G stands for "Graphics" it doesn't change the pronunciation, I don't care what the guy who made it said, he was trolling.
I just betrayed everything I stand for and read gif as jif cause I've been looking at this thread for too long
sYUjWuT.png3oK9yVt.png37yDNJ7.pngY9UJi8K.png
I understand its canonically 'Jailer' but every time I see it I read it like G(r)owler

send help
I understand its canonically 'Jailer' but every time I see it I read it like G(r)owler

send help
I am the lucid dream...
...The monster in your nightmares...
...The fiend of a thousand faces.
@Phenri That's fascinating and just hurt my brain because, yeah, I just automatically went, oh, it's the colors— [emoji=ridgeback scared size=1] oh [i]no[/i] they're the [i]wrong[/i] colors? I can absolutely see gaoler modern-phonetic vs actual pronunciation being something similar. Myself, I knew gaol as archaic jail well before FR, so I do try to mentally correct to jailer each time, but it's definitely not an immediate association because I just didn't encounter it enough in daily life. Maybe FR will actually help with that. [emoji=ridgeback laughing size=1]
@Phenri That's fascinating and just hurt my brain because, yeah, I just automatically went, oh, it's the colors— oh no they're the wrong colors? I can absolutely see gaoler modern-phonetic vs actual pronunciation being something similar.

Myself, I knew gaol as archaic jail well before FR, so I do try to mentally correct to jailer each time, but it's definitely not an immediate association because I just didn't encounter it enough in daily life. Maybe FR will actually help with that.
It's absolutely "jailer" and "gif". I will fight to the death on this hill.
A fake clickbait from Flight Rising's 2016 April Fool's event.  This image changes on refresh.
[quote name="BlackJaguar" date="2019-06-10 10:43:15" ] [quote name="BrandonFlowers" date="2019-06-09 02:31:15" ] Funnily enough, I am Team Jif for life but my brain refuses to accept that Gaoler = Jailer, evern though it makes well enough sense lol. [/quote] Me exactly. It's 'Gale-er' in my head, even though I know it's canonically "'Jail-er.' [/quote] THIS
BlackJaguar wrote on 2019-06-10 10:43:15:
BrandonFlowers wrote on 2019-06-09 02:31:15:
Funnily enough, I am Team Jif for life but my brain refuses to accept that Gaoler = Jailer, evern though it makes well enough sense lol.
Me exactly. It's 'Gale-er' in my head, even though I know it's canonically "'Jail-er.'
THIS
SVt2S0L.png
the gaolers were realised during pride month. Coincidence? i think not.
team gay-o-lers
the gaolers were realised during pride month. Coincidence? i think not.
team gay-o-lers
neutralh5.png
it's gao-ler or death for me
[quote name="Bluebirdi3" date="2019-06-10 12:23:23" ] it's gao-ler or death for me [/quote] [img]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/202597620249-0-1/s-l1600.jpg[/img] Gao gao gao!
Bluebirdi3 wrote on 2019-06-10 12:23:23:

s-l1600.jpg

Gao gao gao!
4QFtgPW.png
jif and gow-ler
it's difficult trying to make myself read and say it as ''jail-er'' :,D
jif and gow-ler
it's difficult trying to make myself read and say it as ''jail-er'' :,D
[quote name="rottenbird" date="2019-06-10 11:56:09" ] It's absolutely "jailer" and "gif". I will fight to the death on this hill. [/quote]
rottenbird wrote on 2019-06-10 11:56:09:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9