Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The new gif/jif debate
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I still hear it in my head as "GOW-ler".
I still hear it in my head as "GOW-ler".
frsiggy1.pngfrsiggy2.pngfrsiggy3.png
i know at heart it's "jailer" but my brain refuses to read it as anything but "gah-low-er" [emoji=spiral tongue size=1]
i know at heart it's "jailer" but my brain refuses to read it as anything but "gah-low-er"
i am fully aware that it's pronounced jailer but my brain refuses to see it as anything other than gayler
i am fully aware that it's pronounced jailer but my brain refuses to see it as anything other than gayler
an animated feraligatr sprite from pokemon crystal > call me mantis
> they / she
> fr +2
> art dump
w the nonbinary flag and the word nonbinary
the asexual flag and the word asexual
the lesbian flag and the word lesbian
free buttons
ee > reply hazy,
try again... blinking_cursor.gif
[img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/411130904061149184/582860369400168471/image0.png[/img] I say jailer c:
image0.png
I say jailer c:
unknown-2.png
[quote name="Vendrus" date="2019-06-10 10:36:00" ] ...that said, mentally they are 100% gay-o-lers. [/quote] this= me
Vendrus wrote on 2019-06-10 10:36:00:
...that said, mentally they are 100% gay-o-lers.

this= me
please buy my dragons
r7i0TKR.png
alphabet legacy
challenge
please just send private auctions.
it's a CR with half the hassle,
and with PAs we both get our stuff instantly.
I know it's suppose to be jailer but I've been pronouncing it gay-o-ler since I first saw the name and I'm not gonna stop.
I know it's suppose to be jailer but I've been pronouncing it gay-o-ler since I first saw the name and I'm not gonna stop.
She/her -- +1 FR time --

On hiatus
LRdLP2V.pngXbjATWE.png
bYt72YT.pngMtGlogH.png
I speak language where we spell words the same way they are read so gaoler. I can't even imagine calling them jailers [emoji=spiral confused size=1]
I speak language where we spell words the same way they are read so gaoler. I can't even imagine calling them jailers
+10 FR time + he/him
I mean sure, it's a real word that people pronounce as jailer NOW, but if we're using the archaic spelling [i]because[/i] the breed is ancient, then we should logically use the original pronunciation too [u][url=https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/jail]Which was[/url][/u] [u][url=https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2013/12/jail-gaol.html]said with[/url][/u] [u][url=https://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/04/why-did-we-ever-spell-jail-gaol/]a hard G [/url][/u] [emoji=gaoler winking size=2]
I mean sure, it's a real word that people pronounce as jailer NOW, but if we're using the archaic spelling because the breed is ancient, then we should logically use the original pronunciation too

Which was said with a hard G

Wua5ROf.png
Gah-oh-ler. French pronounciation will out for this one.

I can kinda understand the 'jailer' thing as it's close to the French world "Geolier" [Jow-lee-E] which means the same thing (prison guardian).

But my brain can't compute a "Ga-" sound as "Jay" something.
Gah-oh-ler. French pronounciation will out for this one.

I can kinda understand the 'jailer' thing as it's close to the French world "Geolier" [Jow-lee-E] which means the same thing (prison guardian).

But my brain can't compute a "Ga-" sound as "Jay" something.
cxbFZBI.png
APPAREL HAUL - 42 / 102
3634.png22413.png
I go back and forth between "gayoler" and "jailer", but for me it's never been anything other than a soft g "gif". Words like "giraffe" have a "J" sound because they're adapted from other languages. But "gif" is a new word. It shouldn't have funny rules, it should look as it appears. A soft "g" makes a "gih" sound not a "juh" sound, we have J for "juh". GIF is an acronym. The first word is Graphics. The G in Graphics makes a "guh" sound. Therefore, I pronounce 'gif' with a 'guh' and not a 'juh'. [emoji=gaoler happy size=2]
I go back and forth between "gayoler" and "jailer", but for me it's never been anything other than a soft g "gif". Words like "giraffe" have a "J" sound because they're adapted from other languages. But "gif" is a new word. It shouldn't have funny rules, it should look as it appears. A soft "g" makes a "gih" sound not a "juh" sound, we have J for "juh".

GIF is an acronym. The first word is Graphics. The G in Graphics makes a "guh" sound. Therefore, I pronounce 'gif' with a 'guh' and not a 'juh'.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9