Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lorenieth, A Lore Discussion Hub!
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 46 47
@nuttysaladtree

Are you blaming Marva for the recent Emporer problem? “An Imperial Affliction” is a bit obvious. ;-)

Seriously, this really interests me. I like the idea of Marva - whom/whatever she may be - as infinity. I feel like this plays well with the endless clickable loops that Marva always brings.
@nuttysaladtree

Are you blaming Marva for the recent Emporer problem? “An Imperial Affliction” is a bit obvious. ;-)

Seriously, this really interests me. I like the idea of Marva - whom/whatever she may be - as infinity. I feel like this plays well with the endless clickable loops that Marva always brings.
UYU9v2z.jpg
@FeDog, I mean... [item=The Emperor's New Clothes] I'm glad you like the idea! [s]Not like I missed the obvious connection to the endless clickable loops, no, hahaha, what do you mean[/s] It'd be fun to connect the infinity interest to her being in a portal - since those are associated with space/time loops. (That connection is a bit more ham-fisted than I'd like, but I really like the portal Marva theory.)
@FeDog, I mean...

The Emperor's New Clothes

I'm glad you like the idea! Not like I missed the obvious connection to the endless clickable loops, no, hahaha, what do you mean It'd be fun to connect the infinity interest to her being in a portal - since those are associated with space/time loops. (That connection is a bit more ham-fisted than I'd like, but I really like the portal Marva theory.)
90px-Applications-office.svg.png When people draw up a warm bath and put in flower petals,
Writing Prompts
are they bathing in flower tea?
If we view Marva as a quantum event (quantum as in quantum physics), then there are many Marva gifts/eggs that exist and don’t exist simultaneously. This gives me joy.

The portal theory is cool. Unfortunately,at least for me, Marva’s gifts are too fun to be the result of a kid (or grown up kid) trapped in between places. I think it could work, I just haven’t noodled it out.
If we view Marva as a quantum event (quantum as in quantum physics), then there are many Marva gifts/eggs that exist and don’t exist simultaneously. This gives me joy.

The portal theory is cool. Unfortunately,at least for me, Marva’s gifts are too fun to be the result of a kid (or grown up kid) trapped in between places. I think it could work, I just haven’t noodled it out.
UYU9v2z.jpg
@MurEyeUh What an adorable scry! :D I like the idea that Marva may be a Courier; given the (admittedly little) knowledge we have on the breed, her being one pairs well with the idea that she delivers her items around Sornieth! Actually, a breed lore prompt encouraging speculation on Couriers could be fun...

The Wind eyes are an interesting call as well! Since Wind dragons are known to be whimsical and carefree, I could see one like her growing a penchant for magic tricks and lighthearted pranks. Additionally, since they're Sornieth's explorers, it would make sense that a Wind Marva would know exactly where to deliver her pranks each year (and how, if she's also a Courier)! :D Great idea!

{*}

@IronPen Oh my god, I love those headcanons for the familiars. They're so adorable! ;u; As for the notion that Marva may bring them to life... I wonder if that means they're golems of some kind?

I'm not sure what my opinion is regarding Marva's items being retconned as normal items (except for the invisibility cloak, which seems like it only comes back for a limited time in early April). Maybe the familiars reproduce and the dragons make more copies of the apparel because they enjoy it? But that would still lead to some interesting questions about the invisibility cloak. Does their limited resurgence mean Marva may be the only dragon who can make one? If so, how does she do it, and where could she have gotten that power?

I'm not expecting anyone to answer any of that, but I'd definitely be interested if they did! :D

{*}

@nuttysaladtree First of all, I love that Tundra scry! :D She looks so adorably eccentric with those colors, and Clown and Spinner both seem like great gene choices -- the primary for the silliness associated with clowns, and the secondary to represent her "spinning" these objects to life, perhaps? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but either way, I love it! (And I'm so flattered you dressed a similar-looking dragon with the clothes from my Beastclan!Marva drawing, omg. Bless! <3)

Also, I really like your theory that touch or pressure could lead to changes in the embryo's pathway. That's such a cool process, and I love how you pulled in the real-world example of unhatched turtles having a thermosensitivity phase to support it! ^^ Headcanon accepted!

On the subject of Marva being linked to infinity and loops that you and @FeDog discussed: if she were some kind of quantum event or figure who likes to play pranks on dragons, that would be so freaking cool. Her pranks are everything and nothing. Marva herself is everything and nothing.

As a fun (and ridiculous) extreme to this idea, I wonder if this could mean she's a playful, hidden deity of space-time? XD

{*}

@SgtCredo @Kessaria That's such an awesome theory! :D I adore how it pulls in lore from Bounty of the Elements, and it really makes me feel for Marva if she's trapped in there and is desperate to get out. I've been thinking about it pretty much all day yesterday, and I had an idea: what if Marva decided she likes it in limbo? Perhaps that conclusion could be the result of the madness of isolation, or maybe she finds solace in the solitude and has learned to enjoy her position as a "prank-bringer" for the dragons of Sornieth.

An even more extreme variant of this idea, since I fell down the rabbit hole as I typed the above paragraph: could she have entered the portal willingly? Could she have wanted to hide somewhere forever, creating things that make her happy and benevolently spreading cheer once a year? Could the Shadow dragons have misinterpreted her disappearance as something terrifying when Marva wouldn't have her state of being be any other way?

I'm bringing these up because I wondered if she may not send out notes because she doesn't want to be rescued, at least consciously. This could also hypothetically explain why Marva's gifts so fun and silly -- if she likes it there (regardless of the origin of that opinion), she could at least find some joy in making her magic tricks!

I enjoy this theory a lot, and I'm excited by the possibilities it could bring regarding Marva's backstory and Marva's personality today! :D
@MurEyeUh What an adorable scry! :D I like the idea that Marva may be a Courier; given the (admittedly little) knowledge we have on the breed, her being one pairs well with the idea that she delivers her items around Sornieth! Actually, a breed lore prompt encouraging speculation on Couriers could be fun...

The Wind eyes are an interesting call as well! Since Wind dragons are known to be whimsical and carefree, I could see one like her growing a penchant for magic tricks and lighthearted pranks. Additionally, since they're Sornieth's explorers, it would make sense that a Wind Marva would know exactly where to deliver her pranks each year (and how, if she's also a Courier)! :D Great idea!

{*}

@IronPen Oh my god, I love those headcanons for the familiars. They're so adorable! ;u; As for the notion that Marva may bring them to life... I wonder if that means they're golems of some kind?

I'm not sure what my opinion is regarding Marva's items being retconned as normal items (except for the invisibility cloak, which seems like it only comes back for a limited time in early April). Maybe the familiars reproduce and the dragons make more copies of the apparel because they enjoy it? But that would still lead to some interesting questions about the invisibility cloak. Does their limited resurgence mean Marva may be the only dragon who can make one? If so, how does she do it, and where could she have gotten that power?

I'm not expecting anyone to answer any of that, but I'd definitely be interested if they did! :D

{*}

@nuttysaladtree First of all, I love that Tundra scry! :D She looks so adorably eccentric with those colors, and Clown and Spinner both seem like great gene choices -- the primary for the silliness associated with clowns, and the secondary to represent her "spinning" these objects to life, perhaps? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but either way, I love it! (And I'm so flattered you dressed a similar-looking dragon with the clothes from my Beastclan!Marva drawing, omg. Bless! <3)

Also, I really like your theory that touch or pressure could lead to changes in the embryo's pathway. That's such a cool process, and I love how you pulled in the real-world example of unhatched turtles having a thermosensitivity phase to support it! ^^ Headcanon accepted!

On the subject of Marva being linked to infinity and loops that you and @FeDog discussed: if she were some kind of quantum event or figure who likes to play pranks on dragons, that would be so freaking cool. Her pranks are everything and nothing. Marva herself is everything and nothing.

As a fun (and ridiculous) extreme to this idea, I wonder if this could mean she's a playful, hidden deity of space-time? XD

{*}

@SgtCredo @Kessaria That's such an awesome theory! :D I adore how it pulls in lore from Bounty of the Elements, and it really makes me feel for Marva if she's trapped in there and is desperate to get out. I've been thinking about it pretty much all day yesterday, and I had an idea: what if Marva decided she likes it in limbo? Perhaps that conclusion could be the result of the madness of isolation, or maybe she finds solace in the solitude and has learned to enjoy her position as a "prank-bringer" for the dragons of Sornieth.

An even more extreme variant of this idea, since I fell down the rabbit hole as I typed the above paragraph: could she have entered the portal willingly? Could she have wanted to hide somewhere forever, creating things that make her happy and benevolently spreading cheer once a year? Could the Shadow dragons have misinterpreted her disappearance as something terrifying when Marva wouldn't have her state of being be any other way?

I'm bringing these up because I wondered if she may not send out notes because she doesn't want to be rescued, at least consciously. This could also hypothetically explain why Marva's gifts so fun and silly -- if she likes it there (regardless of the origin of that opinion), she could at least find some joy in making her magic tricks!

I enjoy this theory a lot, and I'm excited by the possibilities it could bring regarding Marva's backstory and Marva's personality today! :D
@Dreamnorn Adding onto your idea that maybe Marva doesn’t want to be rescued: if Marva is a centaur/Tengu/other Beastclan member, maybe she was rejected by her clan/chose to leave because she was pro-dragon and the rest of her clan wasn’t? Maybe one April Fool’s Day she found a portal to the limbo place @SgtCredo suggested, and now sends goofy gifts to dragons to commemorate the day she found her home.
@Dreamnorn Adding onto your idea that maybe Marva doesn’t want to be rescued: if Marva is a centaur/Tengu/other Beastclan member, maybe she was rejected by her clan/chose to leave because she was pro-dragon and the rest of her clan wasn’t? Maybe one April Fool’s Day she found a portal to the limbo place @SgtCredo suggested, and now sends goofy gifts to dragons to commemorate the day she found her home.
WRcl6DV.png dragon.png mlHpBMC.png
@Dreamnorn

Oh I'd love a courier prompt some time!
@Dreamnorn

Oh I'd love a courier prompt some time!
[center][size=6][Gene Lore] Do you think dragons with Alloy or Facet wings can fly? If so, how?[/size] Buffer Prompt[/center] Most dragon wings seem to be made of leathery and/or feathery materials. With Bee or Butterfly, they can take on a more insectoid quality. Secondary gene changes don't typically seem to hinder a dragon's ability to fly, but what happens when their wings are (seemingly) composed of crystal or metal? For today's prompt, we get to delve into this mystery! Do you believe a dragon with Alloy or Facet can fly? Do you think one gene hinders their ability to fly and the other doesn't? Are they made of crystal or metal at all, or do they just look like it? Feel free to explain your reasoning, pull in science, add scries or charts, and build off other peoples' ideas! You can even share a dragon with Alloy or Facet from your lair if their lore involves a solution or workaround to this question! Let's make it so that the next time a young hatchling asks their parents if those dragons with the shiny wings fly okay, we can give them answers! :D [center][item="Secondary Gene: Alloy"][item="Secondary Gene: Facet"] {*}[/center] [size=4][u][b]Some Thoughts:[/b][/u][/size] Though I'm not personally sure whether I believe Alloy and Facet legitimately changes a dragon's wings into metal and crystal respectively, I'm going to assume they do for a bit of fun speculation! If this is the case, I'm inclined to believe that dragons with Alloy may fly on their own, while dragons with Facet may not without extra magic or technology aiding them. My reasoning primarily boils down to the properties of these materials as I know them. However, I'll be the first to admit I'm [i]not[/i] an expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, or to add on to / complicate / counter these ideas with other information! For [b]Alloy[/b], I believe a titanium alloy could be a logical choice for what metal the wings would be made of. Here's a quote from [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium]its Wikipedia page[/url]: [columns] [img]https://i.imgur.com/kxQnVcw.png[/img] [nextcol] [i]As a metal, titanium is recognized for its high strength-to-weight ratio. It is a strong metal with low density that is quite ductile ... lustrous, and metallic-white in color. The relatively high melting point... makes it useful as a refractory metal. It is paramagnetic and has fairly low electrical and thermal conductivity.[/i] [/columns] Alloy wings are certainly lustrous. Being made of titanium could possibly ensure that dragons working in the forges of the Fire Flight won't have to fear their wings melting, and that dragons working with electrical materials in the Lightning Flight won't have to fear being electrocuted through them. The most relevant info here, though, is that titanium is both lightweight and flexible -- both properties of which are useful if a dragon plans to fly! Meanwhile, with [b]Facet[/b], I can't really think of a crystal that could fit due to what defines them. Here's another quote from [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal]its Wikipedia page[/url]: [columns] [img]https://i.imgur.com/cFfZJ73.png[/img] [nextcol] [i]A crystal or crystalline solid is a solid material whose constituents (such as atoms, molecules, or ions) are arranged in a highly ordered microscopic structure, forming a crystal lattice.[/i] [/columns] While they aren't necessarily as dense as titanium can be, crystals aren't particularly known for being flexible. Even if we assume that Facet wings aren't made of pure crystal, flexibility may still be an issue because even impure crystals seem to be rigid and hard and may not take tensile stress well -- which, in short, means they may break readily when pressured "the wrong way." Then again, if the crystalline materials themselves aren't flexible, who's to say that the dragon's wings aren't just made of hundreds of tiny crystals held together by magic? This could give Facet wings (and possibly Crystal bodies) flexibility regardless of the nature of crystals, and potentially enable flight if the magic fills the gaps where air would have otherwise been! [center][size=2]Also, Kessaria and MurEyeUh, I just want to quickly say that A) I freaking [i]love[/i] that addition to the Marva prompt and B) I'm definitely going to add a Courier prompt to the randomized Breed Lore pool. :D Pinglist was here.[/size][/center]
[Gene Lore] Do you think dragons with Alloy or Facet wings can fly? If so, how?
Buffer Prompt

Most dragon wings seem to be made of leathery and/or feathery materials. With Bee or Butterfly, they can take on a more insectoid quality. Secondary gene changes don't typically seem to hinder a dragon's ability to fly, but what happens when their wings are (seemingly) composed of crystal or metal?

For today's prompt, we get to delve into this mystery! Do you believe a dragon with Alloy or Facet can fly? Do you think one gene hinders their ability to fly and the other doesn't? Are they made of crystal or metal at all, or do they just look like it? Feel free to explain your reasoning, pull in science, add scries or charts, and build off other peoples' ideas! You can even share a dragon with Alloy or Facet from your lair if their lore involves a solution or workaround to this question!

Let's make it so that the next time a young hatchling asks their parents if those dragons with the shiny wings fly okay, we can give them answers! :D

Secondary Gene: Alloy Secondary Gene: Facet

{*}

Some Thoughts:

Though I'm not personally sure whether I believe Alloy and Facet legitimately changes a dragon's wings into metal and crystal respectively, I'm going to assume they do for a bit of fun speculation!

If this is the case, I'm inclined to believe that dragons with Alloy may fly on their own, while dragons with Facet may not without extra magic or technology aiding them. My reasoning primarily boils down to the properties of these materials as I know them. However, I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, or to add on to / complicate / counter these ideas with other information!

For Alloy, I believe a titanium alloy could be a logical choice for what metal the wings would be made of. Here's a quote from its Wikipedia page:

kxQnVcw.png As a metal, titanium is recognized for its high strength-to-weight ratio. It is a strong metal with low density that is quite ductile ... lustrous, and metallic-white in color. The relatively high melting point... makes it useful as a refractory metal. It is paramagnetic and has fairly low electrical and thermal conductivity.

Alloy wings are certainly lustrous. Being made of titanium could possibly ensure that dragons working in the forges of the Fire Flight won't have to fear their wings melting, and that dragons working with electrical materials in the Lightning Flight won't have to fear being electrocuted through them. The most relevant info here, though, is that titanium is both lightweight and flexible -- both properties of which are useful if a dragon plans to fly!

Meanwhile, with Facet, I can't really think of a crystal that could fit due to what defines them. Here's another quote from its Wikipedia page:

cFfZJ73.png A crystal or crystalline solid is a solid material whose constituents (such as atoms, molecules, or ions) are arranged in a highly ordered microscopic structure, forming a crystal lattice.

While they aren't necessarily as dense as titanium can be, crystals aren't particularly known for being flexible. Even if we assume that Facet wings aren't made of pure crystal, flexibility may still be an issue because even impure crystals seem to be rigid and hard and may not take tensile stress well -- which, in short, means they may break readily when pressured "the wrong way."

Then again, if the crystalline materials themselves aren't flexible, who's to say that the dragon's wings aren't just made of hundreds of tiny crystals held together by magic? This could give Facet wings (and possibly Crystal bodies) flexibility regardless of the nature of crystals, and potentially enable flight if the magic fills the gaps where air would have otherwise been!

Also, Kessaria and MurEyeUh, I just want to quickly say that A) I freaking love that addition to the Marva prompt and B) I'm definitely going to add a Courier prompt to the randomized Breed Lore pool. :D

Pinglist was here.
[quote name="Dreamnorn" date="2018-04-04 19:15:42" ] [center][size=6][Gene Lore] Do you think dragons with Alloy or Facet wings can fly? If so, how?[/size] Buffer Prompt For today's prompt, we get to delve into this mystery! [center][item="Secondary Gene: Alloy"][item="Secondary Gene: Facet"] {*}[/center][/quote] Ugh this will be a hard one for me as I hate both genes and at the time I can't afford to gene change these two dergs in my lair so at least one, the male, is almost on exalt row. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40264253] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/402643/40264253_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40533588] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/405336/40533588_350.png[/img] [/url] I like to think it is thin and crinkles like tin foil? Sorry that i am of no help on this as it is late at night, lol. Edit;; Oh no, I just realized my newest girl today also has it UGH [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39782853][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/397829/39782853.png[/img][/url]
Quote:
[Gene Lore] Do you think dragons with Alloy or Facet wings can fly? If so, how?
Buffer Prompt

For today's prompt, we get to delve into this mystery!
Secondary Gene: Alloy Secondary Gene: Facet

{*}

Ugh this will be a hard one for me as I hate both genes and at the time I can't afford to gene change these two dergs in my lair so at least one, the male, is almost on exalt row.

40264253_350.png

40533588_350.png

I like to think it is thin and crinkles like tin foil?

Sorry that i am of no help on this as it is late at night, lol.

Edit;; Oh no, I just realized my newest girl today also has it UGH

39782853.png
This is the exact reason I don't like dragons with Crystal or Facet (though Facet is much more tolerable). I feel like a dragon with these genes could not move the affected body part, so while this makes an interesting appearance for clan statues, etc, I wouldn't otherwise use them personally. With Metallic / Alloy, I think of it more as giving the dragon a shinier coat / wings, but again, it depends on the specific dragon. I have a project dragon I'm working on getting who will have Alloy, and for him in specific, his wings are described as looking as though they're "made of gold" which they partially are--it's more like a thin layer of metal on his wings however, like tin foil without all those unsightly crinkles :p Makes it a little tough to truly fly, but he can glide quite well. I like to think that with age, the metal will sink further and further into his wings until they're entirely metal, but I can't imagine them being...[i]heavy[/i]. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=157&bodygene=19&breed=12&element=5&gender=0&tert=157&tertgene=0&winggene=17&wings=45&auth=4a67f9d24b022eebd923af508c69e0369220d864&dummyext=prev.png[/img] However, this also makes me think of my Gembond dragons! Canonically speaking, Gembond is a "disease" of sorts, right? Personally, I've only used it in that sense once, otherwise it'd been all for appearance. This girl has chunks of amber stuck to her body and wings from when she was trapped in it a long time ago by the dragon shown above (which is a little uncomfortable but doesn't necessarily hinder her): [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=35853089] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/358531/35853089_350.png[/img] [/url] While this girl is merely an orange tree: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37415426] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/374155/37415426_350.png[/img] [/url] And I think that dragons with Gembond would have difficulty moving, especially if the gems are especially "spread" across the dragon (for example, on some breeds of dragons, it's very heavily covered on the chest, but others not nearly as much, which makes me think they'd have breathing complications). ... Makes me question Filigree, too. But we're here for Alloy / Facet, apologies for the off-topic-ness :'D
This is the exact reason I don't like dragons with Crystal or Facet (though Facet is much more tolerable).

I feel like a dragon with these genes could not move the affected body part, so while this makes an interesting appearance for clan statues, etc, I wouldn't otherwise use them personally.

With Metallic / Alloy, I think of it more as giving the dragon a shinier coat / wings, but again, it depends on the specific dragon. I have a project dragon I'm working on getting who will have Alloy, and for him in specific, his wings are described as looking as though they're "made of gold" which they partially are--it's more like a thin layer of metal on his wings however, like tin foil without all those unsightly crinkles :p Makes it a little tough to truly fly, but he can glide quite well. I like to think that with age, the metal will sink further and further into his wings until they're entirely metal, but I can't imagine them being...heavy.
dragon?age=1&body=157&bodygene=19&breed=12&element=5&gender=0&tert=157&tertgene=0&winggene=17&wings=45&auth=4a67f9d24b022eebd923af508c69e0369220d864&dummyext=prev.png

However, this also makes me think of my Gembond dragons! Canonically speaking, Gembond is a "disease" of sorts, right? Personally, I've only used it in that sense once, otherwise it'd been all for appearance. This girl has chunks of amber stuck to her body and wings from when she was trapped in it a long time ago by the dragon shown above (which is a little uncomfortable but doesn't necessarily hinder her):

35853089_350.png

While this girl is merely an orange tree:

37415426_350.png

And I think that dragons with Gembond would have difficulty moving, especially if the gems are especially "spread" across the dragon (for example, on some breeds of dragons, it's very heavily covered on the chest, but others not nearly as much, which makes me think they'd have breathing complications).

... Makes me question Filigree, too. But we're here for Alloy / Facet, apologies for the off-topic-ness :'D
80757570p.png 77134736p.png
I saw an interesting thread discussing the tert gene gembond being like a plague sickeness that can eventually take over and cause crystal/facet. If gembond makes it harder to fly, then the resulting crystal/facet would make it impossible.

Its a cool concept to apply to the genes if youre not satisfied with them being simply aesthetic. If anyone can remember the link, thatd be awesome!

I also like your idea about alloys wings, but all i can think about are airplane dragons now hahaha
I saw an interesting thread discussing the tert gene gembond being like a plague sickeness that can eventually take over and cause crystal/facet. If gembond makes it harder to fly, then the resulting crystal/facet would make it impossible.

Its a cool concept to apply to the genes if youre not satisfied with them being simply aesthetic. If anyone can remember the link, thatd be awesome!

I also like your idea about alloys wings, but all i can think about are airplane dragons now hahaha
pOC43Zp.png
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 46 47