Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | 25 Days of Lore - LATECOMERS WELCOME
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31 32
[center][i]The Year of Night[/i] [b]Shattered[/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44217403] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/442175/44217403_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Maye stared around her shop in shock. She had come down from her flat after waking up to hear clattering and the sound of crashing objects. Her shop was a mess. All of her little trinkets had been knocked from their shelves and anything breakable was strewn across the floor in a billion tiny shards. All of her work, gone. Destroyed. There were also remnants of some bright pink liquid splattered across the shop. Had something gotten into Redrick's potions? Maye began to make her way around the room, salvaging what she could, sweeping up the shards and mopping up the pink substance. They sparkled with fading magic she had cast on them. It was fortunate that such a release of magic had not caused worse effects. This was why she kept her castings small, limiting them to small charms designed to enhance the objects she sold in her shop. What had caused this? had there been a break-in? There couldn't have been, the door was still locked and there was no sign of a forced entry. Suddenly, a cauldron scuttled past on spindly legs, making weird noises. Maye was so startled she leaped back and did nothing to stop it as it raced towards the door, bumping into it at full speed and spilling some of its contents onto the freshly cleaned floor. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/25163.png[/img][/center] Moments after, Redrick raced into the shop, his normally calm demeanor replaced by a look of absolute panic. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44381960] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/443820/44381960_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Did you do this?" He asked, much more snappy than he normally spoke. He wrapped his front legs around the cauldron, trying to hold it still, but it retaliated by gnawing on his leg until he let it go. "I would never enchant your things without talking to you about it first." Maye's gaze darted wide-eyed between her husband and his cauldron. "Was it something you were brewing? Alchemy can be very unpredictable and unstable." "I was brewing a simple concoction. I made sure to educate myself on the risks and this is not one of them!" Redrick sounded indignant. Just then the caundron scuttled past again, knocking over a vase, one of the few undamaged objects left in the shop. Maye dove to catch it but she wasn't fast enough. It hit the floor and shattered, sending shards across the floor once again. "What could this be?" Maye asked trying to keep herself from growing frustrated. She felt tears beginning to form in her eyes. Just then, the cauldron skidded to a halt and bounded up to Maye, jumping up on her like a hainu, trying to lick the tears from her face. Redrick began to laugh, his deep, booming chortle filling the shop. Maye couldn't help it, she began to laugh too, which only seemed to excite the cauldron more. "Well, we can't let this thing loose on our clanmates, can we?" Maye asked. "I never struck you as a pet lover." Redrick laughed. "Neither did I, but he's kind of cute. I don't know how he animated himself, but he's kind of perfect for us, isn't he? An enchanted alchemy cauldron?" "I guess so." Redrick mused. "I'll have to get myself a new cauldron, won't I?" The couple burst out laughing and the cauldron leaped up to lick both of their faces. It looked as though their family had grown.
The Year of Night
Shattered

44217403_350.png

Maye stared around her shop in shock. She had come down from her flat after waking up to hear clattering and the sound of crashing objects. Her shop was a mess. All of her little trinkets had been knocked from their shelves and anything breakable was strewn across the floor in a billion tiny shards. All of her work, gone. Destroyed. There were also remnants of some bright pink liquid splattered across the shop. Had something gotten into Redrick's potions?

Maye began to make her way around the room, salvaging what she could, sweeping up the shards and mopping up the pink substance. They sparkled with fading magic she had cast on them. It was fortunate that such a release of magic had not caused worse effects. This was why she kept her castings small, limiting them to small charms designed to enhance the objects she sold in her shop.

What had caused this? had there been a break-in? There couldn't have been, the door was still locked and there was no sign of a forced entry. Suddenly, a cauldron scuttled past on spindly legs, making weird noises. Maye was so startled she leaped back and did nothing to stop it as it raced towards the door, bumping into it at full speed and spilling some of its contents onto the freshly cleaned floor.
25163.png

Moments after, Redrick raced into the shop, his normally calm demeanor replaced by a look of absolute panic.

"Did you do this?" He asked, much more snappy than he normally spoke. He wrapped his front legs around the cauldron, trying to hold it still, but it retaliated by gnawing on his leg until he let it go.

"I would never enchant your things without talking to you about it first." Maye's gaze darted wide-eyed between her husband and his cauldron. "Was it something you were brewing? Alchemy can be very unpredictable and unstable."

"I was brewing a simple concoction. I made sure to educate myself on the risks and this is not one of them!" Redrick sounded indignant. Just then the caundron scuttled past again, knocking over a vase, one of the few undamaged objects left in the shop. Maye dove to catch it but she wasn't fast enough. It hit the floor and shattered, sending shards across the floor once again.

"What could this be?" Maye asked trying to keep herself from growing frustrated. She felt tears beginning to form in her eyes.

Just then, the cauldron skidded to a halt and bounded up to Maye, jumping up on her like a hainu, trying to lick the tears from her face. Redrick began to laugh, his deep, booming chortle filling the shop. Maye couldn't help it, she began to laugh too, which only seemed to excite the cauldron more.

"Well, we can't let this thing loose on our clanmates, can we?" Maye asked.

"I never struck you as a pet lover." Redrick laughed.

"Neither did I, but he's kind of cute. I don't know how he animated himself, but he's kind of perfect for us, isn't he? An enchanted alchemy cauldron?"

"I guess so." Redrick mused. "I'll have to get myself a new cauldron, won't I?"

The couple burst out laughing and the cauldron leaped up to lick both of their faces. It looked as though their family had grown.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
Sent y'all my donation! Wrote some character drabbles for fun for the two days I missed. Warning for a bit of blood on Shattered if anyone reads these.

---

-Flight

The pirate ship sailed smoothly through the night, safe from storms and the ravenous, churning waves its crew had faced only days before. Most of the crew slept now, only a few awake to direct the ship and keep lookout for nocturnal terrors. Its captain also did not sleep, finding his dreams interrupted by things too old and hungry for living souls to face.

He leaned over the bow of the ship. The moonlight danced across his skeletal form, the black ichor seeping from within seeming to sparkle in its splendor. He hadn’t been able to truly shut his eyes for a long time, but he sighed heavily and felt as if he had done so anyway, comforted by the cold light of the stars guiding them.

For a long time he stayed as such, listening to the waves kiss the ship so gently, perhaps trying to lull them to sleep before the hard journey ahead. He knew what would come. The crew did not, and telling them would be akin to asking them to write their own epitaphs.

“Why don’t you fly away?”

The voice wasn’t a thing of flesh and life; it was composed of northern winds and rancid meat, some long-dead creature whistling an imitation of sound through its bones. A hyena’s mimicked laughs were more whole than anything this creature would ever utter.

It grinned at him, long hair dripping and sliding across the ship’s clean boards. A trail of slime marked where it had climbed over the side of the ship.

“Be quiet.” Lichas refused to look at it. Staring would give it a sense of satisfaction, it would indicate that he was bothered, and that would not do.

“O-ho, you don’t say that I’m wrong? Fly. Abandon them.” It opened and closed its skeletal jaws when it spoke, but they snapped sharply together like a hatchling’s finger puppet. Not like a real thing speaking.

He forced the rising anger out of his voice. “I told you to shut up.”

“Feed me.”

With a quiet hiss, wary of disturbing the crew, he drew his cutlass and swung it in a motion so fluid that it appeared invisible. It stuck in the creature’s ribcage and it laughed, teeth clicking and air whistling from its bones with sharp, off-key notes like a broken instrument. When he retracted the blade, chunks of ice dislodged and scattered around them.

Red eyes burned uncomfortable images into his own when they locked gazes. “I’ll crack their bones and harvest them like the rest. And you’ll let me.”

“Get off my ship.”

“Just like the rest. You won’t stop me.”

Snarling louder, Lichas spat, “Are you forgetting who’s captain here? Leave my ship, demon, or I’ll drag you back to the Icewarden myself!”

It vanished from sight, but its cackling remained in his head; whether this was an actual sound or merely a construct, he had no idea. The moon and stars twinkled their judgment down on him. Flight didn't seem like such a bad idea under their pressure. Find a new life.

The fallen ice crunched beneath his boots, a reminder of the physical threat looming over them. And, with the expression of someone lost in a labyrinth, he retreated to his quarters, leaving the sea's cold judgment for another night.

---

-Dream

“Most creatures don’t have dreams, actually. It seems shocking to those of us who do, but I understand them. There’s a certain beauty in just surviving and experiencing the current world. Why waste that with looking up when you could bury yourself in something sweet?”

Resting in a field of flowers, daisies and coneflowers and enough honeysuckle to produce a scent comparable to love, Suht held a wilting daisy between his claws, gentle with the delicate child. He stared at it with a look of absolute, doe-eyed endearment, the setting sun illuminating the intricacies of its dying petals.

He breathed in the honeysuckle air and sighed out his own sickly miasma. “Please don’t have dreams, sweetheart. You feel the wind on you, the warmth of the sun? Make sure you do. Please feel them.”

The flower did not respond, as it certainly wasn’t a magical or sentient variety of flora, but he wasn’t waiting for answers. His moments of silence were filled with thoughts, both light and dark, sickly and heavy and mostly things he didn’t want to live inside his own head.

“I wish…” he murmured. “I wish I didn’t have to think. I wish my head wasn’t filled with thought. Imagine only experiencing, never dissecting or recalling or planning. Just. Experiencing. Like you, right now. Even death is beautiful to you, I must think. There’s good with the bad.”

The flowers around his daisy had also wilted, though not as fiercely. They were not wilted when he arrived; they were so stubbornly healthy that it would take a whole clan of dragons to tear them from the ground. Not even winter would kill them entirely. His daisy, too, bad been stronger than anything the world could throw at it.

“I don’t want to dream,” he whispered. “Dreams are the routes through which hope dies. I don’t want hope either, nothing like that. I just… I just want to live. And experience. But no thinking.”

The flowers brushed gently against him when he cried. He cried often, and it offered a release from the burden of thinking when the experience of losing his heart overtook his ability to process anything else. And when he opened his eyes, blinking away the wetness, his daisy had crumbled into nothing. The flowers around it were rotting as well, strewn across the soil in cloying heaps, and every last flower in the field remained still in death. Those outside the field had already begun to wilt.

The threat of dreams burning like daggers thrust in his heart, he moved on.

---

-Shattered

He does not remember the name of the burning in his chest. When he tries, he recalls the sensation of tearing, flesh separating from flesh, the terrible chill of something missing within him. It drives him to scratch at the spot like a mad dog until a droplet of blood pokes from beneath his hide.

“Oudem. Are you ready?”

His guardian, Atrox, looms over him, disinterested in his charge’s fresh injury. His dark eyes broadcast his boredom, and one claw is twitching with irritation while he waits for the wildclaw to speak.

Oudem stretches his wings and limbs, shaking the stiffness from his bones before answering, “Yes, let’s go.”

Without giving him a moment more, Atrox is backed out of the room and striding down the hall. Oudem follows with long paces to match the larger dragon. The halls here are gorgeous, carved from white, no doubt expensive stone and accented in gold. The rest of it, silk drapes and carpets and scattered furniture, has been colored in the rich crimson of their mother deity.

As they travel, Atrox spares a single remark: “Get stronger.” Neither care for a reply.

The destination is a room decorated the same as the halls. There’s a number of comfortable furniture pieces facing a fireplace, and the portraits on the walls are of the Plaguebringer and various figures unfamiliar to anyone not hailing from this particular kingdom. Red is by far the dominant color here, from the carpet to the curtains to the wildclaw bleeding out all over the hearth.

The red and gold wildclaw doesn’t acknowledge their presence. Atrox sprawls across a guardian-sized divan and closes his eyes, while Oudem steps forward and examines the wildclaw. There’s a few chunks taken from his neck that are flowing with blood, then another huge bite taken out of his leg and too many gashes across his wings and the rest of his hide. An arm dips into the blood and tastes it: remarkably untainted, and that’s a problem which he is here to cure.

“Venator, look at me,” he whispers, still leaning close. “Open your eyes.”

He obeys, the responding eye a mere golden slit at first until Oudem is faced with two burning suns. They’re accusing him, the suns know something and they’re accusing him of terrible things and dear Plaguebringer he doesn’t like the way it brings forth the itching.

Venator snaps out of nowhere, golden fangs buried deep into Oudem’s throat;
but before this happens a hand has intercepted the furious maw, holding it shut with more strength than this scrawny wyrm should have wielded. Another hand touches Venator’s face, gentle, and two more are rubbing lazy circles against the cavities of his throat. The wildclaw looks more murderous than a childless mother and yet Oudem only croons, “It’s okay. We’ll make it okay.”

He doesn’t look into Atrox’s direction, knowing the guardian wouldn’t offer a claw of assistance even if asked. When he releases the wildclaw it collapses in a weary heap, and Oudem places his foot on the muzzle. The wings are too injured to be used as weapons at this point, and he’s not terribly worried about rebellion anyway.

“Tear my head out,” Venator gasps at last. “I want you to.”

“Why is that?”

Tail twitching, too weak for proper thrashing, Venator wheezes, “I can feel them. They’re digging holes in my head, this isn’t- There’s no constraints. I want out. Get them out. I need to be me, I’m not them, stop letting them be me! I-”

“Ah,” Oudem says. He leans down and stretches a hand to stroke the gaping wounds, exploring the opening into Venator’s throat. “Poor wyrm.”

“My name…”

Oudem continues, “Shhh. It’s alright. You don’t need that. I want you to focus on me. Okay? Hold on to me and we’ll fix this. Focus on my eyes. I’m looking into yours, and I’m going to wrap you soft and safe like a hatchling. Feel my claws when you breathe, I’m keeping you alive. Feel them and experience how warm they are. Imagine the blood running through my own veins, it’s warm and blessed by Mother and it’ll keep you. I’ll keep you.”

His body is aglow with yellow sprites. They’re dancing on Venator’s hide, in his mouth, squirming inside his wounds. Oudem places a hand on the wildclaw’s head and it seems to dip inside him, the fingers touching the brain itself and the whole palm fitting neatly into the skull.

Minutes pass like hours. When Oudem retracts his limbs and the strange lights have vanished, he asks with genuine concern, “Is it better now?”

“Yes.” Dull, lifeless.

Now he urges, “What’s your name?”

“Venator.”

“And your purpose?”

The wildclaw lifts his head, his eyes pallid in comparison to the raging suns from before. “I am the Venator of the New Kingdom of Tarpeia. I seek out traitors and put an end to evil.”

From the other side of the room, Atrox stretches in exaggerated motions, mouth wide open in a yawn. “Are we done here? I’m supposed to take him to the healers...”

After he’s led back to his quarters, Oudem experiences the itching once more. His heart pulses fiercely and it feels like red hot coals burning through his organs. He wonders briefly if perhaps there are fingers in his own head, though this seems unlikely. Telling himself to request a sleeping aid later, he curls into his nest and closes his eyes, awake and undreaming. His mind still itches.
Sent y'all my donation! Wrote some character drabbles for fun for the two days I missed. Warning for a bit of blood on Shattered if anyone reads these.

---

-Flight

The pirate ship sailed smoothly through the night, safe from storms and the ravenous, churning waves its crew had faced only days before. Most of the crew slept now, only a few awake to direct the ship and keep lookout for nocturnal terrors. Its captain also did not sleep, finding his dreams interrupted by things too old and hungry for living souls to face.

He leaned over the bow of the ship. The moonlight danced across his skeletal form, the black ichor seeping from within seeming to sparkle in its splendor. He hadn’t been able to truly shut his eyes for a long time, but he sighed heavily and felt as if he had done so anyway, comforted by the cold light of the stars guiding them.

For a long time he stayed as such, listening to the waves kiss the ship so gently, perhaps trying to lull them to sleep before the hard journey ahead. He knew what would come. The crew did not, and telling them would be akin to asking them to write their own epitaphs.

“Why don’t you fly away?”

The voice wasn’t a thing of flesh and life; it was composed of northern winds and rancid meat, some long-dead creature whistling an imitation of sound through its bones. A hyena’s mimicked laughs were more whole than anything this creature would ever utter.

It grinned at him, long hair dripping and sliding across the ship’s clean boards. A trail of slime marked where it had climbed over the side of the ship.

“Be quiet.” Lichas refused to look at it. Staring would give it a sense of satisfaction, it would indicate that he was bothered, and that would not do.

“O-ho, you don’t say that I’m wrong? Fly. Abandon them.” It opened and closed its skeletal jaws when it spoke, but they snapped sharply together like a hatchling’s finger puppet. Not like a real thing speaking.

He forced the rising anger out of his voice. “I told you to shut up.”

“Feed me.”

With a quiet hiss, wary of disturbing the crew, he drew his cutlass and swung it in a motion so fluid that it appeared invisible. It stuck in the creature’s ribcage and it laughed, teeth clicking and air whistling from its bones with sharp, off-key notes like a broken instrument. When he retracted the blade, chunks of ice dislodged and scattered around them.

Red eyes burned uncomfortable images into his own when they locked gazes. “I’ll crack their bones and harvest them like the rest. And you’ll let me.”

“Get off my ship.”

“Just like the rest. You won’t stop me.”

Snarling louder, Lichas spat, “Are you forgetting who’s captain here? Leave my ship, demon, or I’ll drag you back to the Icewarden myself!”

It vanished from sight, but its cackling remained in his head; whether this was an actual sound or merely a construct, he had no idea. The moon and stars twinkled their judgment down on him. Flight didn't seem like such a bad idea under their pressure. Find a new life.

The fallen ice crunched beneath his boots, a reminder of the physical threat looming over them. And, with the expression of someone lost in a labyrinth, he retreated to his quarters, leaving the sea's cold judgment for another night.

---

-Dream

“Most creatures don’t have dreams, actually. It seems shocking to those of us who do, but I understand them. There’s a certain beauty in just surviving and experiencing the current world. Why waste that with looking up when you could bury yourself in something sweet?”

Resting in a field of flowers, daisies and coneflowers and enough honeysuckle to produce a scent comparable to love, Suht held a wilting daisy between his claws, gentle with the delicate child. He stared at it with a look of absolute, doe-eyed endearment, the setting sun illuminating the intricacies of its dying petals.

He breathed in the honeysuckle air and sighed out his own sickly miasma. “Please don’t have dreams, sweetheart. You feel the wind on you, the warmth of the sun? Make sure you do. Please feel them.”

The flower did not respond, as it certainly wasn’t a magical or sentient variety of flora, but he wasn’t waiting for answers. His moments of silence were filled with thoughts, both light and dark, sickly and heavy and mostly things he didn’t want to live inside his own head.

“I wish…” he murmured. “I wish I didn’t have to think. I wish my head wasn’t filled with thought. Imagine only experiencing, never dissecting or recalling or planning. Just. Experiencing. Like you, right now. Even death is beautiful to you, I must think. There’s good with the bad.”

The flowers around his daisy had also wilted, though not as fiercely. They were not wilted when he arrived; they were so stubbornly healthy that it would take a whole clan of dragons to tear them from the ground. Not even winter would kill them entirely. His daisy, too, bad been stronger than anything the world could throw at it.

“I don’t want to dream,” he whispered. “Dreams are the routes through which hope dies. I don’t want hope either, nothing like that. I just… I just want to live. And experience. But no thinking.”

The flowers brushed gently against him when he cried. He cried often, and it offered a release from the burden of thinking when the experience of losing his heart overtook his ability to process anything else. And when he opened his eyes, blinking away the wetness, his daisy had crumbled into nothing. The flowers around it were rotting as well, strewn across the soil in cloying heaps, and every last flower in the field remained still in death. Those outside the field had already begun to wilt.

The threat of dreams burning like daggers thrust in his heart, he moved on.

---

-Shattered

He does not remember the name of the burning in his chest. When he tries, he recalls the sensation of tearing, flesh separating from flesh, the terrible chill of something missing within him. It drives him to scratch at the spot like a mad dog until a droplet of blood pokes from beneath his hide.

“Oudem. Are you ready?”

His guardian, Atrox, looms over him, disinterested in his charge’s fresh injury. His dark eyes broadcast his boredom, and one claw is twitching with irritation while he waits for the wildclaw to speak.

Oudem stretches his wings and limbs, shaking the stiffness from his bones before answering, “Yes, let’s go.”

Without giving him a moment more, Atrox is backed out of the room and striding down the hall. Oudem follows with long paces to match the larger dragon. The halls here are gorgeous, carved from white, no doubt expensive stone and accented in gold. The rest of it, silk drapes and carpets and scattered furniture, has been colored in the rich crimson of their mother deity.

As they travel, Atrox spares a single remark: “Get stronger.” Neither care for a reply.

The destination is a room decorated the same as the halls. There’s a number of comfortable furniture pieces facing a fireplace, and the portraits on the walls are of the Plaguebringer and various figures unfamiliar to anyone not hailing from this particular kingdom. Red is by far the dominant color here, from the carpet to the curtains to the wildclaw bleeding out all over the hearth.

The red and gold wildclaw doesn’t acknowledge their presence. Atrox sprawls across a guardian-sized divan and closes his eyes, while Oudem steps forward and examines the wildclaw. There’s a few chunks taken from his neck that are flowing with blood, then another huge bite taken out of his leg and too many gashes across his wings and the rest of his hide. An arm dips into the blood and tastes it: remarkably untainted, and that’s a problem which he is here to cure.

“Venator, look at me,” he whispers, still leaning close. “Open your eyes.”

He obeys, the responding eye a mere golden slit at first until Oudem is faced with two burning suns. They’re accusing him, the suns know something and they’re accusing him of terrible things and dear Plaguebringer he doesn’t like the way it brings forth the itching.

Venator snaps out of nowhere, golden fangs buried deep into Oudem’s throat;
but before this happens a hand has intercepted the furious maw, holding it shut with more strength than this scrawny wyrm should have wielded. Another hand touches Venator’s face, gentle, and two more are rubbing lazy circles against the cavities of his throat. The wildclaw looks more murderous than a childless mother and yet Oudem only croons, “It’s okay. We’ll make it okay.”

He doesn’t look into Atrox’s direction, knowing the guardian wouldn’t offer a claw of assistance even if asked. When he releases the wildclaw it collapses in a weary heap, and Oudem places his foot on the muzzle. The wings are too injured to be used as weapons at this point, and he’s not terribly worried about rebellion anyway.

“Tear my head out,” Venator gasps at last. “I want you to.”

“Why is that?”

Tail twitching, too weak for proper thrashing, Venator wheezes, “I can feel them. They’re digging holes in my head, this isn’t- There’s no constraints. I want out. Get them out. I need to be me, I’m not them, stop letting them be me! I-”

“Ah,” Oudem says. He leans down and stretches a hand to stroke the gaping wounds, exploring the opening into Venator’s throat. “Poor wyrm.”

“My name…”

Oudem continues, “Shhh. It’s alright. You don’t need that. I want you to focus on me. Okay? Hold on to me and we’ll fix this. Focus on my eyes. I’m looking into yours, and I’m going to wrap you soft and safe like a hatchling. Feel my claws when you breathe, I’m keeping you alive. Feel them and experience how warm they are. Imagine the blood running through my own veins, it’s warm and blessed by Mother and it’ll keep you. I’ll keep you.”

His body is aglow with yellow sprites. They’re dancing on Venator’s hide, in his mouth, squirming inside his wounds. Oudem places a hand on the wildclaw’s head and it seems to dip inside him, the fingers touching the brain itself and the whole palm fitting neatly into the skull.

Minutes pass like hours. When Oudem retracts his limbs and the strange lights have vanished, he asks with genuine concern, “Is it better now?”

“Yes.” Dull, lifeless.

Now he urges, “What’s your name?”

“Venator.”

“And your purpose?”

The wildclaw lifts his head, his eyes pallid in comparison to the raging suns from before. “I am the Venator of the New Kingdom of Tarpeia. I seek out traitors and put an end to evil.”

From the other side of the room, Atrox stretches in exaggerated motions, mouth wide open in a yawn. “Are we done here? I’m supposed to take him to the healers...”

After he’s led back to his quarters, Oudem experiences the itching once more. His heart pulses fiercely and it feels like red hot coals burning through his organs. He wonders briefly if perhaps there are fingers in his own head, though this seems unlikely. Telling himself to request a sleeping aid later, he curls into his nest and closes his eyes, awake and undreaming. His mind still itches.
MwJo5fF.png
This is Etherea and I don't have a dragon in my lair for Ruby yet but here's a moment in her story- [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=29937592] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/299376/29937592_350.png[/img] [/url] [center][b]Shattered[/b][/center] “Etherea?” A small nocturne stepped cautiously towards the cave entrance, talons clicking on the pink glass beneath her. She glanced around the forest once more. Hanging from the leaves and crawling up the trunks of the trees, prisms of shining rocks sat frozen. The entire cave was crystalized, gems jutting out over stalactites, refracted light glittering across the rock in an array of colours. It bled out from the cave entrance, infecting the forest around it, dangling across branches and smothering undergrowth. “Etherea? It’s… it’s Ruby. Please, come back.” “Go away.” The pain in Etherea’s voice made Ruby wince, “I’m too dangerous. I don’t want to hurt you.” Ruby crept into the cave, brushing the jewelled walls with her talons. “I’m not leaving.” When she rounded the corner, it took all of her control not to run over to Etherea when she saw her. The imperial was curled into a tight ball, faceted white wings drawn around her. A mound of pink crystal encircled her, growing outwards in spiralling fractals. “I don’t want to hurt anyone,” Etherea whispered, “Especially not you, Ruby.” Opal tears seeped from her eyes. The nocturne stepped closer. “Etherea. You won’t hurt me. I won’t let you.” “You don’t know that! You know what I’ve done! My entire family, my home—” She stopped, swallowing the waver that threatened her voice, “How can you stand to be around me?” “I love you.” Ruby said simply, her voice breaking, “Please, let me be close to you.” Silence hovered in the air between the two dragons, unspoken words falling backwards before they bubbled to the surface. Ruby was the first to move. She crept towards the imperial until she stood right in front of her, holding her gaze. All the prisms of colour reflected in Etherea’s white eyes, wide and clouded with tears. “I’m scared... I’m scared that if you touch me, you’ll turn to crystal.” Etherea could no longer control her voice and it split into pieces, like cracking glass. “I won’t,” Another silence suffocated the cave. The only sound was the tinkle of glass from the depths of crystal and the clink of gemstones creeping along the ground. “Etherea. Listen to me,” Ruby pleaded, “I believe you can do it. You’ll get control of this eventually; you’ll make it through. You will be amazing. You’re already amazing,” Ruby chuckled softly, softly and sorrowfully, “Just let me be there with you.” The crystal stopped spreading. Shakily, Etherea sighed and nodded gently. Crawling forwards, Ruby curled herself around the imperial. Etherea winced at her touch but relaxed a moment later, everything tense leaving her body. She was fever hot but Ruby felt the imperial's heartbeat begin to slow as they both sat in the faintly glowing cave, finally at a peaceful silence. “I missed you so much.” Ruby spoke, barely above a whisper. Etherea smiled softly, her first smile in weeks, and rested her head on top of Ruby’s. “I love you too,” Etherea whispered, everything in her voice still trembling, “Thank you.”
This is Etherea and I don't have a dragon in my lair for Ruby yet but here's a moment in her story-

29937592_350.png

Shattered

“Etherea?” A small nocturne stepped cautiously towards the cave entrance, talons clicking on the pink glass beneath her. She glanced around the forest once more. Hanging from the leaves and crawling up the trunks of the trees, prisms of shining rocks sat frozen. The entire cave was crystalized, gems jutting out over stalactites, refracted light glittering across the rock in an array of colours. It bled out from the cave entrance, infecting the forest around it, dangling across branches and smothering undergrowth.

“Etherea? It’s… it’s Ruby. Please, come back.”

“Go away.” The pain in Etherea’s voice made Ruby wince, “I’m too dangerous. I don’t want to hurt you.” Ruby crept into the cave, brushing the jewelled walls with her talons.

“I’m not leaving.”

When she rounded the corner, it took all of her control not to run over to Etherea when she saw her. The imperial was curled into a tight ball, faceted white wings drawn around her. A mound of pink crystal encircled her, growing outwards in spiralling fractals.

“I don’t want to hurt anyone,” Etherea whispered, “Especially not you, Ruby.” Opal tears seeped from her eyes. The nocturne stepped closer.

“Etherea. You won’t hurt me. I won’t let you.”

“You don’t know that! You know what I’ve done! My entire family, my home—” She stopped, swallowing the waver that threatened her voice, “How can you stand to be around me?”

“I love you.” Ruby said simply, her voice breaking, “Please, let me be close to you.”

Silence hovered in the air between the two dragons, unspoken words falling backwards before they bubbled to the surface. Ruby was the first to move. She crept towards the imperial until she stood right in front of her, holding her gaze. All the prisms of colour reflected in Etherea’s white eyes, wide and clouded with tears.

“I’m scared... I’m scared that if you touch me, you’ll turn to crystal.” Etherea could no longer control her voice and it split into pieces, like cracking glass.

“I won’t,”

Another silence suffocated the cave. The only sound was the tinkle of glass from the depths of crystal and the clink of gemstones creeping along the ground.

“Etherea. Listen to me,” Ruby pleaded, “I believe you can do it. You’ll get control of this eventually; you’ll make it through. You will be amazing. You’re already amazing,” Ruby chuckled softly, softly and sorrowfully, “Just let me be there with you.”

The crystal stopped spreading. Shakily, Etherea sighed and nodded gently. Crawling forwards, Ruby curled herself around the imperial. Etherea winced at her touch but relaxed a moment later, everything tense leaving her body. She was fever hot but Ruby felt the imperial's heartbeat begin to slow as they both sat in the faintly glowing cave, finally at a peaceful silence.

“I missed you so much.” Ruby spoke, barely above a whisper. Etherea smiled softly, her first smile in weeks, and rested her head on top of Ruby’s.

“I love you too,” Etherea whispered, everything in her voice still trembling, “Thank you.”
4a400340c0be109b6c971f8fd8e6cc021baeb6c8.png
[center]Day 3: Shattered [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=538707] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/5388/538707_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Threnody, the name meant lament and it fit her well. She'd lived an awfully long life and had seen many things in her time, especially having grown up in the Scarred Wasteland, not the most forgiving of landscapes. There was one event that left her shattered, still made her heart ache from time to time. She was so proud of her 3 offspring, all of whom were strong of spirit, and ready to take on the world when they left the nest. Each went their separate ways, and originally promised to visit or write once in a blue moon, but her first-born, Khal, gradually decreased his correspondence. Threnody had no idea where he was or how he was doing which saddened her, until one day she received an urgent note from a courier dragon. Apparently, he'd been in an accident while flying and was being treated at the healing springs located in the shallows of the Sea of a Thousand Currents. The note stressed that he was gravely ill and to come right away. In case she was too late, the note disclosed that he wanted her to know that he loved her and was living a wonderful life with his mate and their many offspring. He was sorry for not keeping in touch, and hoped she could find it in her to forgive him. Of course she did, and she flew as fast as her wings could carry her. It was a far distance, something Threnody'd usually take in increments, but there was no time. When she reached the healing springs, she saw him lying limp in the water with his family around him. From his recumbent position, he seemed to make eye contact for a milisecond, then his eyes grew dull. She rushed to her son's side and embraced him, but it was too late. The memory still haunted her to this day. P.S. Sorry this is not as thought out/cliché! Unfortunately, I don't have the time today/tomorrow as real life is pretty stressful right now, so I'm just doing what I can.
Day 3: Shattered

538707_350.png

Threnody, the name meant lament and it fit her well. She'd lived an awfully long life and had seen many things in her time, especially having grown up in the Scarred Wasteland, not the most forgiving of landscapes. There was one event that left her shattered, still made her heart ache from time to time.

She was so proud of her 3 offspring, all of whom were strong of spirit, and ready to take on the world when they left the nest. Each went their separate ways, and originally promised to visit or write once in a blue moon, but her first-born, Khal, gradually decreased his correspondence. Threnody had no idea where he was or how he was doing which saddened her, until one day she received an urgent note from a courier dragon.

Apparently, he'd been in an accident while flying and was being treated at the healing springs located in the shallows of the Sea of a Thousand Currents. The note stressed that he was gravely ill and to come right away. In case she was too late, the note disclosed that he wanted her to know that he loved her and was living a wonderful life with his mate and their many offspring. He was sorry for not keeping in touch, and hoped she could find it in her to forgive him.

Of course she did, and she flew as fast as her wings could carry her. It was a far distance, something Threnody'd usually take in increments, but there was no time. When she reached the healing springs, she saw him lying limp in the water with his family around him. From his recumbent position, he seemed to make eye contact for a milisecond, then his eyes grew dull. She rushed to her son's side and embraced him, but it was too late. The memory still haunted her to this day.

P.S. Sorry this is not as thought out/cliché! Unfortunately, I don't have the time today/tomorrow as real life is pretty stressful right now, so I'm just doing what I can.
'blue smedium banner
Everything was going to hell.
Not only had the remaining Nightingales infiltrated the castle, but now the rift was expanding faster than Zena expected, with no time for her and Gordon and her to survive the new world together. And now she'd lost all the power that could ever hope to control the rift, with the fate of the universe hanging in the middle of it all.
"Zena, you have to know how to fix this!" Retep cried, hiding behind a crystal pillar to avoid the shocks of electricity the rift spat out.
"I-I don't know what to do!" She did know what to do, but she was too scared to do it. Ironic, she thought. All her life, she'd been yearning for death, but now that she was faced with her fate, suddenly she was terrified.
"No!" Gordon suddenly shoved Zena out of the way and aimed his staff at the rift. "One way or another, we'll shut down this rift! And I am not letting Zena die for it!"
A shadow fell over Zena's face. She knew that Gordon could shut the rift, but it would cost his mortality, and even then it wouldn't stay closed for long. "Gordon, come back!" She called.
But he didn't listen. Instead, his staff began to glow a light purple as a cage-like shape extended from it, pulling the rift closed. A mark began to form on his forehead, and she could see him weaken as all the color began to drain from his body and clothes. He was becoming a Distortionist.
Retep looked to Zena desperately, sharing her thoughts. They both knew that he couldn't become one of those... Things, especially not now. Time passed, and still none of them could do anything as the rift grew more and more intense. Finally, Zena snapped.
"Dammit, Gordon, get out of the way!" She yelled as she ripped her necklace from her neck and held out the crystal on it in the palm of her hand. As the rift grew darker and darker, Zena pulled a dagger from her belt and plunged it into the crystal.
Everything seemed to happen at once. First, the rift closed up, causing a small explosion to shake the room. Gordon't colors returned to his body, slowly but surely, and then they both saw the body lying in the middle of the room.
Panicked, Retep reached Zena first, checking for a pulse and just sitting there, staring silently in shock. Gordon soon saw why he wasn't shaking her awake.
In her bleeding hand was her shattered soul.
enjoy that... that
Everything was going to hell.
Not only had the remaining Nightingales infiltrated the castle, but now the rift was expanding faster than Zena expected, with no time for her and Gordon and her to survive the new world together. And now she'd lost all the power that could ever hope to control the rift, with the fate of the universe hanging in the middle of it all.
"Zena, you have to know how to fix this!" Retep cried, hiding behind a crystal pillar to avoid the shocks of electricity the rift spat out.
"I-I don't know what to do!" She did know what to do, but she was too scared to do it. Ironic, she thought. All her life, she'd been yearning for death, but now that she was faced with her fate, suddenly she was terrified.
"No!" Gordon suddenly shoved Zena out of the way and aimed his staff at the rift. "One way or another, we'll shut down this rift! And I am not letting Zena die for it!"
A shadow fell over Zena's face. She knew that Gordon could shut the rift, but it would cost his mortality, and even then it wouldn't stay closed for long. "Gordon, come back!" She called.
But he didn't listen. Instead, his staff began to glow a light purple as a cage-like shape extended from it, pulling the rift closed. A mark began to form on his forehead, and she could see him weaken as all the color began to drain from his body and clothes. He was becoming a Distortionist.
Retep looked to Zena desperately, sharing her thoughts. They both knew that he couldn't become one of those... Things, especially not now. Time passed, and still none of them could do anything as the rift grew more and more intense. Finally, Zena snapped.
"Dammit, Gordon, get out of the way!" She yelled as she ripped her necklace from her neck and held out the crystal on it in the palm of her hand. As the rift grew darker and darker, Zena pulled a dagger from her belt and plunged it into the crystal.
Everything seemed to happen at once. First, the rift closed up, causing a small explosion to shake the room. Gordon't colors returned to his body, slowly but surely, and then they both saw the body lying in the middle of the room.
Panicked, Retep reached Zena first, checking for a pulse and just sitting there, staring silently in shock. Gordon soon saw why he wasn't shaking her awake.
In her bleeding hand was her shattered soul.
enjoy that... that
Oh, but can't you feel it?! The void, it's calling me- Calling all of us! It wants to eat our souls, so that we never ascend to the heavens, it wants to absorb us! It needs sustenance, so that it may expand and envelop this whole useless world! All that muck and grime, the ooze, it will fill every crevice of reality, and it will change the world into a paradise! All you have to do is live to see it!
And why aren't I scared? Because the void is the afterlife, and I am its Grim Reaper!
[center]~ Prompt: Shattered ~ [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46062256] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/460623/46062256_350.png[/img] [/url] "No-!" Dan exclaimed in vain but was cut off in shock as he looked around. "What..?' he mumbled, looking around in confusion. "B-But... did I just..?" Surrounding him was the still crumbling, icy remains of the rock slide. Dan looked around, shocked by what he though only could have happened. He was supposed to be his clans' ice representative, not get almost killed by a rock slide. He let out a puff of a sigh and shook out his limbs to try to calm himself down. "That was close..." He stood up, brushed off his sleeves and turned back to where his clan was. "What are you doing?" [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44380149] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/443802/44380149_350.png[/img] [/url] Dan practically jumped out of his skin as the monotone voice sounded behind him. He whipped around to see an eerily transparent and serious-looking fae loomed above the rocks behind him. Dan quickly wiped the surprise off his face into what he hoped was a look of authority. "I should ask you the same question. You're intruding on my clans' territory." Dan straightened his back in an attempt to seem brave as the mysterious fae landed and approached him. "They're not your clan anymore, kid." "W-what is that supposed to mean..?" he stammered as his nerves once again got the best of him and as the now intimidating fae reached out and touched his chin. His breathing grew more panicked and his heart was going to burst out of his chest. This fae was going to kill him. Dan thought about calling for help but know knew what sort of weapons this fae had. "What is your name?" The fae said, obviously avoiding the question. Still gripping his chin, tilted Dan's head to the side. Dan heard him mumble something about 'no very obvious injuries' or something or the like. But he must have misheard. He hoped so at least "Dan..?" he tried to pull his head away from the fae's hand. "What do you want from me?" he gritted out, lifting his claws to try to pull the fae's hand away. "Nothing, kid. I'm sorry." "W-what?" His eyes went wild and he thrashed in an attempt to get away from the fae. "Whoa, Danny. Calm down. I'm not going to hurt you. Even if I wanted to I'd be a little late." The fae let go of him and backed a few steps away. Dan barely registered the nickname as he looked at the fae in disbelief. "Look kid, they aren't your clan mates anymore. You're dead." "Wh-what..? No, you're crazy!" "You didn't actually think you got out of that rock slide completely unscathed? Look at yourself. You're a ghost now Danny." The fae gestured to his translucent form and then to Dan. "Why do you think you couldn't see me before that rock slide? I was passing by. I saw what happened." Dan could hardly breath. Not that it mattered anyway. He was dead. All his dreams and hopes shattered like his bones. He was going to be the best ice representative in history. He though he'd be able to be so much. He let out a shaky sigh and, despite his efforts, thought about his past life. He was always kind of shrugged off, even if he was the ice representative. He was never really taken seriously and he wasn't talked to. He realized that maybe, just maybe, his clan mates actually didn't like him. He let out another sigh, bowing his head and looking at his claws. "Calm down kid. It'll be alright. I promise." The fae let out a sigh. "There are others. Let me take you to them." The fae looked at the young kid. Dan was shivering and trying to remain calm. "Come on Danny." He spread his wings and took flight, flying into the air. He turned around to see the still shooken up Dan following him. He slowed down a bit to let him catch up. "We'll be there soon Danny." "Don't call me that." "What?" The fae laughed, looking at Dan is disbelief. "What?!" Dan exclaimed defensively, "It's [i]Dan[/i], not Danny..." he grumbled. Dan's head cocked in interest after a few minutes as the thought occurred to him. "What;s your name anyway?" He laughed at the young fae's annoyance, "It's Glory. Now keep up Danny." Glory speed up, snickering good-naturedly. Dan let out a grunt and rolled his eyes at the nickname but there was a small smile on his face. He flew after the mysterious fae and, as it seemed, into his knew life. Or, more, afterlife. Maybe all his aspirations we're shattered after all. Note; I really enjoyed writing about my little Danny's lore! I had a lot of fun with this one. Hope you guys like it owo[/center]
~ Prompt: Shattered ~

46062256_350.png

"No-!"

Dan exclaimed in vain but was cut off in shock as he looked around. "What..?' he mumbled, looking around in confusion. "B-But... did I just..?" Surrounding him was the still crumbling, icy remains of the rock slide. Dan looked around, shocked by what he though only could have happened. He was supposed to be his clans' ice representative, not get almost killed by a rock slide. He let out a puff of a sigh and shook out his limbs to try to calm himself down. "That was close..." He stood up, brushed off his sleeves and turned back to where his clan was.

"What are you doing?"

44380149_350.png

Dan practically jumped out of his skin as the monotone voice sounded behind him. He whipped around to see an eerily transparent and serious-looking fae loomed above the rocks behind him. Dan quickly wiped the surprise off his face into what he hoped was a look of authority. "I should ask you the same question. You're intruding on my clans' territory." Dan straightened his back in an attempt to seem brave as the mysterious fae landed and approached him.

"They're not your clan anymore, kid."

"W-what is that supposed to mean..?" he stammered as his nerves once again got the best of him and as the now intimidating fae reached out and touched his chin. His breathing grew more panicked and his heart was going to burst out of his chest. This fae was going to kill him. Dan thought about calling for help but know knew what sort of weapons this fae had.

"What is your name?" The fae said, obviously avoiding the question. Still gripping his chin, tilted Dan's head to the side. Dan heard him mumble something about 'no very obvious injuries' or something or the like. But he must have misheard. He hoped so at least

"Dan..?" he tried to pull his head away from the fae's hand. "What do you want from me?" he gritted out, lifting his claws to try to pull the fae's hand away.

"Nothing, kid. I'm sorry."

"W-what?" His eyes went wild and he thrashed in an attempt to get away from the fae.

"Whoa, Danny. Calm down. I'm not going to hurt you. Even if I wanted to I'd be a little late." The fae let go of him and backed a few steps away.

Dan barely registered the nickname as he looked at the fae in disbelief.

"Look kid, they aren't your clan mates anymore. You're dead."

"Wh-what..? No, you're crazy!"

"You didn't actually think you got out of that rock slide completely unscathed? Look at yourself. You're a ghost now Danny." The fae gestured to his translucent form and then to Dan. "Why do you think you couldn't see me before that rock slide? I was passing by. I saw what happened."

Dan could hardly breath. Not that it mattered anyway. He was dead. All his dreams and hopes shattered like his bones. He was going to be the best ice representative in history. He though he'd be able to be so much. He let out a shaky sigh and, despite his efforts, thought about his past life. He was always kind of shrugged off, even if he was the ice representative. He was never really taken seriously and he wasn't talked to. He realized that maybe, just maybe, his clan mates actually didn't like him. He let out another sigh, bowing his head and looking at his claws.

"Calm down kid. It'll be alright. I promise." The fae let out a sigh. "There are others. Let me take you to them." The fae looked at the young kid. Dan was shivering and trying to remain calm. "Come on Danny." He spread his wings and took flight, flying into the air. He turned around to see the still shooken up Dan following him. He slowed down a bit to let him catch up. "We'll be there soon Danny."

"Don't call me that."

"What?" The fae laughed, looking at Dan is disbelief.

"What?!" Dan exclaimed defensively, "It's Dan, not Danny..." he grumbled. Dan's head cocked in interest after a few minutes as the thought occurred to him. "What;s your name anyway?"

He laughed at the young fae's annoyance, "It's Glory. Now keep up Danny." Glory speed up, snickering good-naturedly.

Dan let out a grunt and rolled his eyes at the nickname but there was a small smile on his face. He flew after the mysterious fae and, as it seemed, into his knew life. Or, more, afterlife.

Maybe all his aspirations we're shattered after all.

Note; I really enjoyed writing about my little Danny's lore! I had a lot of fun with this one. Hope you guys like it owo
15d43e94abf848077beac4f699abea4ef5bf96a8.pngx Hey I'm Cheryy

Personal Thread
Ask me about my art x
Buy my dragons
u5iPftV.png
VA1XCHD.png
5IHIEFm.png
zCMcLLE.png
58T08n9.png
PsY9SIv.png
ky82ASU.gif
[center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14734214] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/147343/14734214_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45842775] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/458428/45842775_350.png[/img] [/url] [size=5]TWELFTH EPOCH, THIRD DAY [b]SHATTERED[/size][/center] "Eleven's Claws!" [color=transparent]??[/color]Pierrot lifted his head from his pillow at the sound of shattering glass and the flurry of muffled curses that followed it. Turning to the stairwell, upper-body raised whilst his legs remained on his pile of velvet pillows—he preferred draconic form both in sleeping and waking life so slipping up the stairs and out of the door. Above-ground the night was dark and vivid, no doubt a sign that the Nocturne would soon be visiting. Cutting through it was a very faint orange glow which poured from the old caravan they had parked outside of their lair so many years ago. Inside he could hear Crescent shuffling about, agitated, judging by the tone of her mutterings and swearing that was filtering out of its windows. "Eleven's Claws!" [color=transparent]??[/color]Pierrot lifted his head from his pillow at the sound of shattering glass and the flurry of muffled curses that followed it. Turning to the stairwell, upper-body raised whilst his legs remained on his pile of velvet pillows—he preferred draconic form both in sleeping and waking life so slipping up the stairs and out of the door. Above-ground the night was dark and vivid, no doubt a sign that the Nocturne would soon be visiting. Cutting through it was a very faint orange glow which poured from the old caravan they had parked outside of their lair so many years ago. Inside he could hear Crescent shuffling about, agitated, judging by the tone of her mutterings and swearing that was filtering out of its windows. He wound around to the door and rapped his claws on it twice to warn her of his arrival before floating inside. [color=transparent]??[/color]"Watch your feet, Pierre, there's glass on the floor," Crescent greets you, curt from irritation and familiarity. She was knelt down on the floor, white hair tied into a thick braid and tossed over the back of a thick nightgown—a stark contrast to the sultry, stilted silk dresses she wore when preforming—picking up little shards and placing them in her cupped hand. He floated closer to her, tail spiraling behind him, and rested a hand on her shoulder. She turned and gave him an exasperated smile, a sort of smirk scrunching up one side of her long face that implied no malice. He tilted his head down towards the shards in her hands. [color=transparent]??[/color]"Oh, yes," She replied, "I was looking for my old mirror"—she makes a point not to call it Gordon's—"only when I found it I managed to drop it and smash the forsaken thing." [color=transparent]??[/color]He squeezed her shoulder gently, consolingly, as she turned her gaze to the shards in her hands. With a sigh she rose to her feet, placed the fragments in a heap on her old crimson vanity. It was ancient now, varnish pealing to reveal the old wood beneath it, the bulbs that surrounded the mirror now dim and glowing yellow when they once shone white. Among the baskets of empty makeup vials and broken jewelry, right beside the shards, was a pile of dark amethysts and vivid red pyropes. The gemstones that had lined the hand mirror. [color=transparent]??[/color]"Can't believe I dropped it," she muttered under her breath, more to herself than him, as she sat down upon the velvet stool sat in front of the vanity. She sighed, picked up a chunk of the now shattered frame and one of the brilliant red gems, tried to push it back into its indent to no avail. She gave up, cast the fragment aside but still held the pyrope in between her thumb and index finger, turning it slightly. [color=transparent]??[/color]He bent to rest his forehead against her scalp. Crescent placed an absent minded hand on the back of his neck, holding him there. How terrible it was, to see something so precious be destroyed. Crescent's relationship with Gordon had been complicated. Though they were merely employee and employer by day, the air between them seemed to shift in the evening. The darkness fell and they were no longer the ringmaster and the sword-dancer, but something profoundly, resolutely tender. And he had watched from the sidelines, profoundly, achingly envious, knowing Crescent would never feel the same way for him. She could not love a drake who could not talk to her. [color=transparent]??[/color]Yet, looking back now, he has trouble understanding why he felt jealous at all. After all, he and Crescent shared something that the ringmaster could not give her, the absence of which would eventually drive them apart. They were equals. They held the same respect and reverie that all good performers hold for one another. The ringmaster could never truly reach her, only own her. None of the magnificent gifts he bestowed upon her could ever touch her heart. So of course, when the day came that Crescent ran away from the circus with him in her wake, she did not bring them with her. At least, none but that mirror. [color=transparent]??[/color]Who could blame her for wanting to keep it? Surely no other item was as perfect of a memento as it. It was glorious, a flawless oval of glass set in an alabaster frame, gemstones and gold threading matching her scales. He had clearly had it specially made for her. Cheaply made. If it had even the most basic of reinforcement charms cast on it then a fall to the floor would have done no worse than scratch it. What a foolish oversight. [color=transparent]??[/color]Slowly, lightly as a summer breeze, he lifted his head, reached for two of the amethyst stones sat upon the vanity. And gently, tenderly held them against the lobes of her ears. [color=transparent]??[/color]"What's this?" She asked, corners of her mouth curling as she held out her hand. Softly as winter's first snow, he placed them in her palm. She chuckled. "Earrings, eh? Yes, you're right, sweet Pierrot, these stones are far to beautiful to just leave lying around. I'll write a letter to a smith as soon as the sun's up tomorrow, they should be able to craft me a whole new jewelry box with all these beauties. Oh, you always know just what do to, you clever beast." [color=transparent]??[/color]She leans in and plants a kiss on the top of his head. He smiles, heart swelling. He has never felt such joy as he does with this wonderful woman. Nobody could ever make him happier. He wound around to the door and rapped his claws on it twice to warn her of his arrival before floating inside. [color=transparent]??[/color]"Watch your feet, Pierre, there's glass on the floor," Crescent greets you, curt from irritation and familiarity. She was knelt down on the floor, white hair tied into a thick braid and tossed over the back of a thick nightgown—a stark contrast to the sultry, stilted silk dresses she wore when preforming—picking up little shards and placing them in her cupped hand. He floated closer to her, tail spiraling behind him, and rested a hand on her shoulder. She turned and gave him an exasperated smile, a sort of smirk scrunching up one side of her long face that implied no malice. He tilted his head down towards the shards in her hands. [color=transparent]??[/color]"Oh, yes," She replied, "I was looking for my old mirror"—she makes a point not to call it Gordon's—"only when I found it I managed to drop it and smash the forsaken thing." [color=transparent]??[/color]He squeezed her shoulder gently, consolingly, as she turned her gaze to the shards in her hands. With a sigh she rose to her feet, placed the fragments in a heap on her old crimson vanity. It was ancient now, varnish pealing to reveal the old wood beneath it, the bulbs that surrounded the mirror now dim and glowing yellow when they once shone white. Among the baskets of empty makeup vials and broken jewelry, right beside the shards, was a pile of dark amethysts and vivid red pyropes. The gemstones that had lined the hand mirror. [color=transparent]??[/color]"Can't believe I dropped it," she muttered under her breath, more to herself than him, as she sat down upon the velvet stool sat in front of the vanity. She sighed, picked up a chunk of the now shattered frame and one of the brilliant red gems, tried to push it back into its indent to no avail. She gave up, cast the fragment aside but still held the pyrope in between her thumb and index finger, turning it slightly. [color=transparent]??[/color]He bent to rest his forehead against her scalp. Crescent placed an absent minded hand on the back of his neck, holding him there. How terrible it was, to see something so precious be destroyed. Crescent's relationship with Gordon had been complicated. Though they were merely employee and employer by day, the air between them seemed to shift in the evening. The darkness fell and they were no longer the ringmaster and the sword-dancer, but something profoundly, resolutely tender. And he had watched from the sidelines, profoundly, achingly envious, knowing Crescent would never feel the same way for him. She could not love a drake who could not talk to her. [color=transparent]??[/color]Yet, looking back now, he has trouble understanding why he felt jealous at all. After all, he and Crescent shared something that the ringmaster could not give her, the absence of which would eventually drive them apart. They were equals. They held the same respect and reverie that all good performers hold for one another. The ringmaster could never truly reach her, only own her. None of the magnificent gifts he bestowed upon her could ever touch her heart. So of course, when the day came that Crescent ran away from the circus with him in her wake, she did not bring them with her. At least, none but that mirror. [color=transparent]??[/color]Who could blame her for wanting to keep it? Surely no other item was as perfect of a memento as it. It was glorious, a flawless oval of glass set in an alabaster frame, gemstones and gold threading matching her scales. He had clearly had it specially made for her. Cheaply made. If it had even the most basic of reinforcement charms cast on it then a fall to the floor would have done no worse than scratch it. What a foolish oversight. [color=transparent]??[/color]Slowly, lightly as a summer breeze, he lifted his head, reached for two of the amethyst stones sat upon the vanity. And gently, tenderly held them against the lobes of her ears. [color=transparent]??[/color]"What's this?" She asked, corners of her mouth curling as she held out her hand. Softly as winter's first snow, he placed them in her palm. She chuckled. "Earrings, eh? Yes, you're right, sweet Pierrot, these stones are far to beautiful to just leave lying around. I'll write a letter to a smith as soon as the sun's up tomorrow, they should be able to craft me a whole new jewelry box with all these beauties. Oh, you always know just what do to, you clever beast." [color=transparent]??[/color]She leans in and plants a kiss on the top of his head. He smiles, heart swelling. He has never felt such joy as he does with this wonderful woman. Nobody could ever make him happier. [quote=AUTHOR'S NOTES] WELP today's entry ended up being a little angsty too but mostly bittersweet. I really enjoyed writing this dynamic, I wanted to convey how deeply they cared about one another and how much they've been through together. If you feel so inclined, I'd be interested to know if you guys think I pulled that off! [b]For context:[/b] Both Crescent and Pierrot used to be circus performers, though they both ran away after their ringmaster—whom Crescent had began a relationship with—began to violently lash out as the stress of running his troupe at at loss started to get to him. They lived as nomads for around a year before coming to Pavo. Pierrot cannot speak owing to a fall he took when learning to fly, which caused him to bite through his tongue. He can make some grunting and groaning noises but he thinks they sound undignified and prefers other forms of non verbal communication.[/quote]

14734214_350.png

45842775_350.png

TWELFTH EPOCH, THIRD DAY
SHATTERED

"Eleven's Claws!"

??Pierrot lifted his head from his pillow at the sound of shattering glass and the flurry of muffled curses that followed it. Turning to the stairwell, upper-body raised whilst his legs remained on his pile of velvet pillows—he preferred draconic form both in sleeping and waking life so slipping up the stairs and out of the door. Above-ground the night was dark and vivid, no doubt a sign that the Nocturne would soon be visiting. Cutting through it was a very faint orange glow which poured from the old caravan they had parked outside of their lair so many years ago. Inside he could hear Crescent shuffling about, agitated, judging by the tone of her mutterings and swearing that was filtering out of its windows.

"Eleven's Claws!"

??Pierrot lifted his head from his pillow at the sound of shattering glass and the flurry of muffled curses that followed it. Turning to the stairwell, upper-body raised whilst his legs remained on his pile of velvet pillows—he preferred draconic form both in sleeping and waking life so slipping up the stairs and out of the door. Above-ground the night was dark and vivid, no doubt a sign that the Nocturne would soon be visiting. Cutting through it was a very faint orange glow which poured from the old caravan they had parked outside of their lair so many years ago. Inside he could hear Crescent shuffling about, agitated, judging by the tone of her mutterings and swearing that was filtering out of its windows.

He wound around to the door and rapped his claws on it twice to warn her of his arrival before floating inside.

??"Watch your feet, Pierre, there's glass on the floor," Crescent greets you, curt from irritation and familiarity. She was knelt down on the floor, white hair tied into a thick braid and tossed over the back of a thick nightgown—a stark contrast to the sultry, stilted silk dresses she wore when preforming—picking up little shards and placing them in her cupped hand. He floated closer to her, tail spiraling behind him, and rested a hand on her shoulder. She turned and gave him an exasperated smile, a sort of smirk scrunching up one side of her long face that implied no malice. He tilted his head down towards the shards in her hands.

??"Oh, yes," She replied, "I was looking for my old mirror"—she makes a point not to call it Gordon's—"only when I found it I managed to drop it and smash the forsaken thing."

??He squeezed her shoulder gently, consolingly, as she turned her gaze to the shards in her hands. With a sigh she rose to her feet, placed the fragments in a heap on her old crimson vanity. It was ancient now, varnish pealing to reveal the old wood beneath it, the bulbs that surrounded the mirror now dim and glowing yellow when they once shone white. Among the baskets of empty makeup vials and broken jewelry, right beside the shards, was a pile of dark amethysts and vivid red pyropes. The gemstones that had lined the hand mirror.

??"Can't believe I dropped it," she muttered under her breath, more to herself than him, as she sat down upon the velvet stool sat in front of the vanity. She sighed, picked up a chunk of the now shattered frame and one of the brilliant red gems, tried to push it back into its indent to no avail. She gave up, cast the fragment aside but still held the pyrope in between her thumb and index finger, turning it slightly.

??He bent to rest his forehead against her scalp. Crescent placed an absent minded hand on the back of his neck, holding him there. How terrible it was, to see something so precious be destroyed. Crescent's relationship with Gordon had been complicated. Though they were merely employee and employer by day, the air between them seemed to shift in the evening. The darkness fell and they were no longer the ringmaster and the sword-dancer, but something profoundly, resolutely tender. And he had watched from the sidelines, profoundly, achingly envious, knowing Crescent would never feel the same way for him. She could not love a drake who could not talk to her.

??Yet, looking back now, he has trouble understanding why he felt jealous at all. After all, he and Crescent shared something that the ringmaster could not give her, the absence of which would eventually drive them apart. They were equals. They held the same respect and reverie that all good performers hold for one another. The ringmaster could never truly reach her, only own her. None of the magnificent gifts he bestowed upon her could ever touch her heart. So of course, when the day came that Crescent ran away from the circus with him in her wake, she did not bring them with her. At least, none but that mirror.

??Who could blame her for wanting to keep it? Surely no other item was as perfect of a memento as it. It was glorious, a flawless oval of glass set in an alabaster frame, gemstones and gold threading matching her scales. He had clearly had it specially made for her. Cheaply made. If it had even the most basic of reinforcement charms cast on it then a fall to the floor would have done no worse than scratch it. What a foolish oversight.

??Slowly, lightly as a summer breeze, he lifted his head, reached for two of the amethyst stones sat upon the vanity. And gently, tenderly held them against the lobes of her ears.

??"What's this?" She asked, corners of her mouth curling as she held out her hand. Softly as winter's first snow, he placed them in her palm. She chuckled. "Earrings, eh? Yes, you're right, sweet Pierrot, these stones are far to beautiful to just leave lying around. I'll write a letter to a smith as soon as the sun's up tomorrow, they should be able to craft me a whole new jewelry box with all these beauties. Oh, you always know just what do to, you clever beast."

??She leans in and plants a kiss on the top of his head. He smiles, heart swelling. He has never felt such joy as he does with this wonderful woman. Nobody could ever make him happier. He wound around to the door and rapped his claws on it twice to warn her of his arrival before floating inside.

??"Watch your feet, Pierre, there's glass on the floor," Crescent greets you, curt from irritation and familiarity. She was knelt down on the floor, white hair tied into a thick braid and tossed over the back of a thick nightgown—a stark contrast to the sultry, stilted silk dresses she wore when preforming—picking up little shards and placing them in her cupped hand. He floated closer to her, tail spiraling behind him, and rested a hand on her shoulder. She turned and gave him an exasperated smile, a sort of smirk scrunching up one side of her long face that implied no malice. He tilted his head down towards the shards in her hands.

??"Oh, yes," She replied, "I was looking for my old mirror"—she makes a point not to call it Gordon's—"only when I found it I managed to drop it and smash the forsaken thing."

??He squeezed her shoulder gently, consolingly, as she turned her gaze to the shards in her hands. With a sigh she rose to her feet, placed the fragments in a heap on her old crimson vanity. It was ancient now, varnish pealing to reveal the old wood beneath it, the bulbs that surrounded the mirror now dim and glowing yellow when they once shone white. Among the baskets of empty makeup vials and broken jewelry, right beside the shards, was a pile of dark amethysts and vivid red pyropes. The gemstones that had lined the hand mirror.

??"Can't believe I dropped it," she muttered under her breath, more to herself than him, as she sat down upon the velvet stool sat in front of the vanity. She sighed, picked up a chunk of the now shattered frame and one of the brilliant red gems, tried to push it back into its indent to no avail. She gave up, cast the fragment aside but still held the pyrope in between her thumb and index finger, turning it slightly.

??He bent to rest his forehead against her scalp. Crescent placed an absent minded hand on the back of his neck, holding him there. How terrible it was, to see something so precious be destroyed. Crescent's relationship with Gordon had been complicated. Though they were merely employee and employer by day, the air between them seemed to shift in the evening. The darkness fell and they were no longer the ringmaster and the sword-dancer, but something profoundly, resolutely tender. And he had watched from the sidelines, profoundly, achingly envious, knowing Crescent would never feel the same way for him. She could not love a drake who could not talk to her.

??Yet, looking back now, he has trouble understanding why he felt jealous at all. After all, he and Crescent shared something that the ringmaster could not give her, the absence of which would eventually drive them apart. They were equals. They held the same respect and reverie that all good performers hold for one another. The ringmaster could never truly reach her, only own her. None of the magnificent gifts he bestowed upon her could ever touch her heart. So of course, when the day came that Crescent ran away from the circus with him in her wake, she did not bring them with her. At least, none but that mirror.

??Who could blame her for wanting to keep it? Surely no other item was as perfect of a memento as it. It was glorious, a flawless oval of glass set in an alabaster frame, gemstones and gold threading matching her scales. He had clearly had it specially made for her. Cheaply made. If it had even the most basic of reinforcement charms cast on it then a fall to the floor would have done no worse than scratch it. What a foolish oversight.

??Slowly, lightly as a summer breeze, he lifted his head, reached for two of the amethyst stones sat upon the vanity. And gently, tenderly held them against the lobes of her ears.

??"What's this?" She asked, corners of her mouth curling as she held out her hand. Softly as winter's first snow, he placed them in her palm. She chuckled. "Earrings, eh? Yes, you're right, sweet Pierrot, these stones are far to beautiful to just leave lying around. I'll write a letter to a smith as soon as the sun's up tomorrow, they should be able to craft me a whole new jewelry box with all these beauties. Oh, you always know just what do to, you clever beast."

??She leans in and plants a kiss on the top of his head. He smiles, heart swelling. He has never felt such joy as he does with this wonderful woman. Nobody could ever make him happier.
AUTHOR'S NOTES wrote:
WELP today's entry ended up being a little angsty too but mostly bittersweet. I really enjoyed writing this dynamic, I wanted to convey how deeply they cared about one another and how much they've been through together. If you feel so inclined, I'd be interested to know if you guys think I pulled that off!

For context: Both Crescent and Pierrot used to be circus performers, though they both ran away after their ringmaster—whom Crescent had began a relationship with—began to violently lash out as the stress of running his troupe at at loss started to get to him. They lived as nomads for around a year before coming to Pavo.

Pierrot cannot speak owing to a fall he took when learning to fly, which caused him to bite through his tongue. He can make some grunting and groaning noises but he thinks they sound undignified and prefers other forms of non verbal communication.
TgDWGF.png xpan
xhe/him
xfr+8
TgP7gC.png

i have 500k worth of clan lore in my head bouncing around like a dvd screensaver

fodderlocke
breeding hell
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=34873507] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/348736/34873507_350.png[/img] [/url] [u]day 3[/u] s h a t t e r e d[/center] She yearned for the past. She longed with all her heart to go back to the times of her youth, her mate's youth, her simple role of keeping the familiars. Her children. She thought those tasks presented challenges at the time, and while her current life's tasks kept her mind busy throughout the day, when she settled down at night her mind darkened and her heart fell. She longed for the days when she would hear her children's playful shrieks, watch them run around through the brush of the Tangled Wood, watch the way they would play hide and seek, they way they would pounce and tumble around with each other and with the clan's familiars that she used to tend. They would break things, she used to feel a twinge of disappointment, but she was never cross with them. Usually they would come and confess, heads down and wings drooping, sad to disappoint their dear mother. She'd pull them close and whisper forgiveness. They were curious and full of wonder, but they loved their parents, they had a strong familial bond. She longed to go back to the days of trying to curb their curiosity surrounding battle and the coliseum. Their father was a soldier and she knew she couldn't keep it from them, but she wished with all her heart that she had done more. Or exposed them to it sooner, so they would be more prepared. She wished she had let them train with their father when they asked her. She was trying to protect them, to keep her family safe, and in doing so she robbed them of the tools they could have used when they really needed them most. She wished that [i]she[/i] knew how to fight. She wished she were stronger, so she could destroy every beast clan creature in all of Sorneith. And she wished for compassion to forgive them, and herself for having such thoughts. She wished she could repair the rift between her and her mate. She wished she could hold all three of her children once more, just one more time. She wished that she wasn't such a burden on her son, she wished that her daughters could be here to experience sunrises, the night sky, the warm breeze of Earth upon their faces. She wished that they had felt strength in their final moments, and tried to push away the feelings of guilt that plagued her at night, guilt and remorse that they'd been alone and afraid. She wished that she could go back to the days of shattered vases, dishes and ornaments, dropped and scattered across the ground in pieces from their playfulness, her rambunctious children. Her son trying swinging a sword to heavy for him and knocking things over, or her daughters trying to help prepare the meal and dropping dishes. Their rough housing and pouncing around knocking things from their shelves and driving the neighbours mad. She smiled to herself at the memories, and held them close to her heart as comfort. Her heart that had shattered the day, that fateful day, that two of her three children had died, and her family's path had been forever changed. [quote]Author's Notes! Ok so this got a little more sad than I intended, but I've wanted to pick this story up again for a [i]long[/i] time. I started a legacy of war challenge a year ago, over a year ago actually... and just kind of stopped updating (I didn't even get very far oops). It's hard for me to plan out a long story, but I think some of these prompts could fill in gaps and motivate me to continue on with it. Essentially, Nuala here is the 1st generation of the challenge, and 2 of her 3 children died in the coliseum </3[/quote]

34873507_350.png

day 3
s h a t t e r e d

She yearned for the past. She longed with all her heart to go back to the times of her youth, her mate's youth, her simple role of keeping the familiars. Her children. She thought those tasks presented challenges at the time, and while her current life's tasks kept her mind busy throughout the day, when she settled down at night her mind darkened and her heart fell.

She longed for the days when she would hear her children's playful shrieks, watch them run around through the brush of the Tangled Wood, watch the way they would play hide and seek, they way they would pounce and tumble around with each other and with the clan's familiars that she used to tend. They would break things, she used to feel a twinge of disappointment, but she was never cross with them. Usually they would come and confess, heads down and wings drooping, sad to disappoint their dear mother. She'd pull them close and whisper forgiveness. They were curious and full of wonder, but they loved their parents, they had a strong familial bond.

She longed to go back to the days of trying to curb their curiosity surrounding battle and the coliseum. Their father was a soldier and she knew she couldn't keep it from them, but she wished with all her heart that she had done more. Or exposed them to it sooner, so they would be more prepared. She wished she had let them train with their father when they asked her. She was trying to protect them, to keep her family safe, and in doing so she robbed them of the tools they could have used when they really needed them most.

She wished that she knew how to fight. She wished she were stronger, so she could destroy every beast clan creature in all of Sorneith. And she wished for compassion to forgive them, and herself for having such thoughts. She wished she could repair the rift between her and her mate. She wished she could hold all three of her children once more, just one more time. She wished that she wasn't such a burden on her son, she wished that her daughters could be here to experience sunrises, the night sky, the warm breeze of Earth upon their faces.

She wished that they had felt strength in their final moments, and tried to push away the feelings of guilt that plagued her at night, guilt and remorse that they'd been alone and afraid. She wished that she could go back to the days of shattered vases, dishes and ornaments, dropped and scattered across the ground in pieces from their playfulness, her rambunctious children. Her son trying swinging a sword to heavy for him and knocking things over, or her daughters trying to help prepare the meal and dropping dishes. Their rough housing and pouncing around knocking things from their shelves and driving the neighbours mad.

She smiled to herself at the memories, and held them close to her heart as comfort. Her heart that had shattered the day, that fateful day, that two of her three children had died, and her family's path had been forever changed.

Quote:
Author's Notes!

Ok so this got a little more sad than I intended, but I've wanted to pick this story up again for a long time. I started a legacy of war challenge a year ago, over a year ago actually... and just kind of stopped updating (I didn't even get very far oops). It's hard for me to plan out a long story, but I think some of these prompts could fill in gaps and motivate me to continue on with it.

Essentially, Nuala here is the 1st generation of the challenge, and 2 of her 3 children died in the coliseum </3
earthshieldr.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44870454] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/448705/44870454_350.png[/img] [/url] [font=Century Gothic] Damao didn’t even lift her head. Her eyes were drawn to the shaft of light entering the room. It glinted off her dulled scales, turned milky from the lack of sun. The dragon at the door peered through the crack. They did not bother unlocking the deadbolt chain. Damao could not tell what kind it was- her eyes took too long to adapt to the light. She could only make out the tawny scales. She curled away from the light, and it faded away soon after. A deep sigh escaped her as her room came back to focus for her. It had become nothing more than a dark, gelid chamber. Her shelves, untouched for weeks, had become covered in dust. Everything was neatly organized as she always left it. As though the room itself was frozen in time. Her body had slowed to a crawl as though she were preparing for a hibernation. She listened to the soft click of her clock, counting the seconds she was locked away. She had little to move for. Atop her bedding, she could watch over the rest of her room. No matter where she was, she could never forget the encove dug out to her left. Damao tilted her head slightly to look over the tapestry that hid it away. Her claws twitched as she gazed upon it. The feeling of warmth she had grown used to had left her to the wastes of her own home. Just beyond the woven fabric lay that journal, and even further… what she had left of her. That was what made her chest ache. Damao knew she was mired in anxiety, because of her incompetence. Her emotions got the better of her. That letter left on her bed that night… All that was left for her was the cold. She just wanted to feel her once more. To feel her warm scales pressed against her side. Her tail entwined with hers, her gentle purring under her wing, and her anchoring scent. No matter the prayers she offered, it was not enough. She would never even feel the satisfaction of tearing the letters open, the paper unravelling with the gentle glide of her claws. Perhaps the guilt was what kept her chained down. Because of her, her mate would not see her again. Because of her, she could only be presumed. Because of her… she had shattered her own future. To choose between her, and her homeland, she was only left paralyzed. Torn between her emotions and her duty, destiny had set its eyes on her. The father waited for her. Her room was not all that had frozen. Damao could not feel anger at her place. She couldn’t name sorrow. Her only solace was the pain filled by the ice. Only when she chose to move would she feel the wounds. In the present, only empty ice- beginning to crack- existed in her. To fly too close to the sun, or to delve into the depths… countless diamond tears stained her bed. [506 words]

44870454_350.png

Damao didn’t even lift her head. Her eyes were drawn to the shaft of light entering the room. It glinted off her dulled scales, turned milky from the lack of sun. The dragon at the door peered through the crack. They did not bother unlocking the deadbolt chain. Damao could not tell what kind it was- her eyes took too long to adapt to the light. She could only make out the tawny scales. She curled away from the light, and it faded away soon after.

A deep sigh escaped her as her room came back to focus for her. It had become nothing more than a dark, gelid chamber. Her shelves, untouched for weeks, had become covered in dust. Everything was neatly organized as she always left it. As though the room itself was frozen in time. Her body had slowed to a crawl as though she were preparing for a hibernation. She listened to the soft click of her clock, counting the seconds she was locked away.

She had little to move for. Atop her bedding, she could watch over the rest of her room. No matter where she was, she could never forget the encove dug out to her left. Damao tilted her head slightly to look over the tapestry that hid it away. Her claws twitched as she gazed upon it. The feeling of warmth she had grown used to had left her to the wastes of her own home.

Just beyond the woven fabric lay that journal, and even further… what she had left of her. That was what made her chest ache. Damao knew she was mired in anxiety, because of her incompetence. Her emotions got the better of her. That letter left on her bed that night…

All that was left for her was the cold. She just wanted to feel her once more. To feel her warm scales pressed against her side. Her tail entwined with hers, her gentle purring under her wing, and her anchoring scent. No matter the prayers she offered, it was not enough. She would never even feel the satisfaction of tearing the letters open, the paper unravelling with the gentle glide of her claws. Perhaps the guilt was what kept her chained down. Because of her, her mate would not see her again. Because of her, she could only be presumed. Because of her… she had shattered her own future.

To choose between her, and her homeland, she was only left paralyzed. Torn between her emotions and her duty, destiny had set its eyes on her. The father waited for her. Her room was not all that had frozen. Damao could not feel anger at her place. She couldn’t name sorrow. Her only solace was the pain filled by the ice. Only when she chose to move would she feel the wounds. In the present, only empty ice- beginning to crack- existed in her. To fly too close to the sun, or to delve into the depths… countless diamond tears stained her bed.
[506 words]
[center][i][u][b][size=7]Shattered[/size][/b][/u][/i][/center] [quote name="Author's Notes"] Whew! Third day, here we go! Congrats to St0rmy! Your story was really interesting to read! I loved learning about everyone's dragons and clan lore so far! You can go ahead and refer to my [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2566260/6#post_36563583]first Author's Notes[/url] for context on my clan and dragons! Today's lore will be for one of my newer dragons! It's a bit short, but hopefully this will be enough![/quote] "And this will be where you reside. We will get you some comfortable furniture in a few minutes." Cynosura lead a young Skydancer into the large cave a short distance away from the clan square. Stalactites were dripping water from above. The young Skydancer looked around, taking in the spacious view. Different crystals were springing from the walls, the ceiling, the floors. They seemed to give off a beautiful glint at a certain angle. "Thank you for allowing me to stay, Queen Cynosura." The Skydancer bowed her head to the Mirror politely. Sura chuckled. "Of course. You have talent, Kamilah. We could use your graceful agility during our battles against the Shade." The Skydancer couldn't help but smile. "It was all thanks to your help that I was able to live again. It's the least I can do. Watching you all fight alongside one another was inspiring." Sura lifted her head to gaze at the Skydancer curiously. "Oh? You watched our clan during the last Dominance battle?" "Yes! I... wasn't allowed to go outside due to my new condition... but I saw you and King Polaris in your battle against the Shade-infected Maren. That was incredible, what you did. If I hadn't known better, you and the King would have come across to me as being veteran dragons." Sura chuckled. "Oh, thank you. That means a lot. Truly. Becoming a reptilian, a [i]dragon[/i] most especially, has not come easy to Polaris and I, since we spent most of our lives being two-legged and warm-blooded, like many of your planet's Beastclan natives. It took quite a while for us to adjust, and we are still learning new things every day." She gestures for Kamilah to follow her deeper into the cave. The Skydancer follows, cautiously. "You know, this might seem insane, but Polaris didn't really know what Dominance was until a [i]month[/i] after moving here." "You're joking." "Oh, no. Not in the least. He wasn't the only one who made mistakes. I wasn't aware that my kind ate seafood and meat until Futhark joined the clan, bless his heart. No one had the heart to tell me so beforehand." Kamilah laughed. "Oh, gods. That must have been very eye-opening." "Oh, certainly. You can only imagine how horrified I was. It felt so embarrassing. I could have given the clan's true identity away by my diet alone! But... in spite of the embarrassment, I managed to get through it. I reassured myself that, at the very least, there was only a few dragons in our clan at the time, and I never ate when any guests came to visit, so it wasn't as bad as I thought, in hindsight." The Mirror stops to look at a Rhodochrosite crystal growing upwards from the floor. It was shiny and glowing a beautiful pink color. Kamilah got closer, and she could see her reflection. "...Kamilah, my child. You... never exactly told me [i]why[/i] you chose to leave your clan behind." Kamilah glanced at the Mirror, who was still looking at the crystal. "Polaris and I have only known your clan for a month or so, but they have been kind to us. Your parents are very kind as well. It clearly had nothing to do with your environment - I sensed no turmoil from within your clan or the nearby Beastclans." "It was...for personal reasons. I... love my family and my clan, I still do, but... I just... couldn't stay there anymore. The recent events with the rise of the Beastclans has made me realize my own faults." "Your...own faults?" Sura tilted her head in curiosity. "Yes. To everyone there, I was seen as the prima ballerina, the perfect performer. When I played my violin, or when I sang or danced for the people, I was flawless. I was called the clan's gemstone, the clan's jewel." She looked away, sighing. "But... I didn't see myself that way. Ever since I was young... when I started getting into the performing arts, I watched other artists perform at the Seashell Stadiums. They were flawless. I wanted to be just like them, and slowly, I began to obsess over my imperfections. I tried my best to hide them. I started eating less in order for me to move better, to the point where I started fasting. I followed a strict routine, did everything I could to better myself. After the Maren that attacked my clan months ago saw me as one of the clan's weaker dragons, I realized... that I had become a victim of my own control. I had become weak, dull, and lifeless, like a gemstone that lost its touch. I realized that my time had come. I couldn't take it anymore. I was tired of constantly pushing myself so hard for something unattainable. So... when I heard that you needed performers who could double as fighters... I decided to take a chance." Sura nodded to her. "And... I assume that's why you broke the globe you created for your recent performance?" Kamilah nodded. "It reminded me of my flaws. I couldn't do it anymore." "I see. Well... that was exactly what I thought you would say." The Skydancer stared at the Mirror in surprise. Sura only smiled. "When you broke out of the globe during your performance with Ori, I had a feeling there was a deeper meaning in your performance. All artists do that when expressing themselves, whether it be through painting, through writing, or through song - their art is, after all, a way for them to vent, to let go of their emotions. And you breaking out of that globe is the best way to let all of that out and finally release it. Now come. I have something to show you." Sura and Kamilah took a brisk walk through one of the forked pathways until they reached the end of the cave. To Kamilah's shock, sitting there at the edge of the cave was a large, open purple seashell encased in a beautiful snowglobe - the very platform that she stood on in her last performance. The globe had been reassembled somehow, likely through magic. "My young Skydancer, it is time you finally completed your entrance ritual. When we asked you to perform for us, we were only doing so as a test, to see what you would do. And you passed, with flying colors. Now, this last part should be easy for you, if you truly wished to leave your safety bubble." Kamilah turned to the globe, a glint of determination in her eyes. "...You want me to shatter the globe once more?" "Yes. I'm the only one here, so you won't have to worry about anyone else watching. I'm only here to ensure you pass your test. Now, go ahead. Release your anger. Let your emotions flow for just a moment." Sura walked to the entrance from whence they entered, and took a seat. The Skydancer took a deep breath, staring at the large globe before her. She spent months on this, but it was finally time for her to release herself from her insecurities. She took a step towards the globe and then jumped, taking flight. Kamilah grabbed the top of the globe and lifted it up high. Once she was near the cave's ceiling, she threw it downwards, sending it hurtling towards the floor. It hit one of the crystals and immediately broke to pieces, shattering it completely. Sura grinned as the Skydancer landed gracefully in front of her, taking a bow, as typical of a performer. "Excellent! Tell me, young one. How do you feel?" "Better." "That's what I like to hear." Sura got up. "Now we celebrate tonight! Come to the entrance with me." "Queen Cynosura?" Kamilah asked as they headed back out. "Yes, dear?" "...Would it be alright if I changed my name?" "Oh? You want to go by a different name now?" "Futhark told me that name changes were common after the entrance ceremony. After some thought, I'd like to change my name, if that's alright with you." "Of course! Did you already have a name in mind?" Kamilah grinned happily at the Leader. "Rhodochrosite. After the crystal. I felt that it would be a good name." "A good name indeed. Rhodochrosite it is! You... might want to use a nickname though. It's good, but it's a bit long." "Hmmm... would Rosite be a good nickname?" "Most definitely!" Kamilah felt her frustrations finally lifting. She took one more look at the cave before walking out. From tonight onwards... she would be known as Rhodochrosite. The beautifully imperfect crystal. She couldn't wait. Featured Dragons: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46773745] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/467738/46773745_350.png[/img] [/url] Rhodochrosite, a dragon I got recently from an IF Choose Your Lucky Egg game! She's gorgeous, isn't she? :D I originally planned to sell her, but then I realized she had great lore potential thanks to the recent festival skin! Haven't written her lore yet, but hopefully I will when I have the time. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44649845] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/446499/44649845_350.png[/img] [/url] Cynosura, Polaris' wife and second leader in command! She's a great fighter, like Polaris! I want to scatter her so that hopefully, she can have blue-purple range colors, just like her husband! Here's to hoping I might be able to get that done in the new year! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44839187] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/448392/44839187_350.png[/img] [/url] And vaguely mentioned only once or twice, Futhark! He was close to Maelstrom, one of the children who stayed within the clan and became a seasoned fighter before going off to serve another clan. Contrary to his species, he's surprisingly sweet, though he's pretty good at fighting as well! You might see him in upcoming excerpts! Music Inspo for Today's Prompt: [url=https://youtu.be/49tpIMDy9BE]Shatter Me - Lindsey Stirling ft. Lzzy Hale[/url]
Shattered
Author's Notes wrote:
Whew! Third day, here we go! Congrats to St0rmy! Your story was really interesting to read! I loved learning about everyone's dragons and clan lore so far! You can go ahead and refer to my first Author's Notes for context on my clan and dragons! Today's lore will be for one of my newer dragons! It's a bit short, but hopefully this will be enough!

"And this will be where you reside. We will get you some comfortable furniture in a few minutes." Cynosura lead a young Skydancer into the large cave a short distance away from the clan square. Stalactites were dripping water from above. The young Skydancer looked around, taking in the spacious view. Different crystals were springing from the walls, the ceiling, the floors. They seemed to give off a beautiful glint at a certain angle.

"Thank you for allowing me to stay, Queen Cynosura." The Skydancer bowed her head to the Mirror politely. Sura chuckled.

"Of course. You have talent, Kamilah. We could use your graceful agility during our battles against the Shade."

The Skydancer couldn't help but smile.

"It was all thanks to your help that I was able to live again. It's the least I can do. Watching you all fight alongside one another was inspiring."

Sura lifted her head to gaze at the Skydancer curiously.

"Oh? You watched our clan during the last Dominance battle?"

"Yes! I... wasn't allowed to go outside due to my new condition... but I saw you and King Polaris in your battle against the Shade-infected Maren. That was incredible, what you did. If I hadn't known better, you and the King would have come across to me as being veteran dragons."

Sura chuckled.

"Oh, thank you. That means a lot. Truly. Becoming a reptilian, a dragon most especially, has not come easy to Polaris and I, since we spent most of our lives being two-legged and warm-blooded, like many of your planet's Beastclan natives. It took quite a while for us to adjust, and we are still learning new things every day."

She gestures for Kamilah to follow her deeper into the cave. The Skydancer follows, cautiously.

"You know, this might seem insane, but Polaris didn't really know what Dominance was until a month after moving here."

"You're joking."

"Oh, no. Not in the least. He wasn't the only one who made mistakes. I wasn't aware that my kind ate seafood and meat until Futhark joined the clan, bless his heart. No one had the heart to tell me so beforehand."

Kamilah laughed.

"Oh, gods. That must have been very eye-opening."

"Oh, certainly. You can only imagine how horrified I was. It felt so embarrassing. I could have given the clan's true identity away by my diet alone! But... in spite of the embarrassment, I managed to get through it. I reassured myself that, at the very least, there was only a few dragons in our clan at the time, and I never ate when any guests came to visit, so it wasn't as bad as I thought, in hindsight."

The Mirror stops to look at a Rhodochrosite crystal growing upwards from the floor. It was shiny and glowing a beautiful pink color. Kamilah got closer, and she could see her reflection.

"...Kamilah, my child. You... never exactly told me why you chose to leave your clan behind."

Kamilah glanced at the Mirror, who was still looking at the crystal.

"Polaris and I have only known your clan for a month or so, but they have been kind to us. Your parents are very kind as well. It clearly had nothing to do with your environment - I sensed no turmoil from within your clan or the nearby Beastclans."

"It was...for personal reasons. I... love my family and my clan, I still do, but... I just... couldn't stay there anymore. The recent events with the rise of the Beastclans has made me realize my own faults."

"Your...own faults?" Sura tilted her head in curiosity.

"Yes. To everyone there, I was seen as the prima ballerina, the perfect performer. When I played my violin, or when I sang or danced for the people, I was flawless. I was called the clan's gemstone, the clan's jewel."

She looked away, sighing.

"But... I didn't see myself that way. Ever since I was young... when I started getting into the performing arts, I watched other artists perform at the Seashell Stadiums. They were flawless. I wanted to be just like them, and slowly, I began to obsess over my imperfections. I tried my best to hide them. I started eating less in order for me to move better, to the point where I started fasting. I followed a strict routine, did everything I could to better myself. After the Maren that attacked my clan months ago saw me as one of the clan's weaker dragons, I realized... that I had become a victim of my own control. I had become weak, dull, and lifeless, like a gemstone that lost its touch. I realized that my time had come. I couldn't take it anymore. I was tired of constantly pushing myself so hard for something unattainable. So... when I heard that you needed performers who could double as fighters... I decided to take a chance."

Sura nodded to her.

"And... I assume that's why you broke the globe you created for your recent performance?"

Kamilah nodded.

"It reminded me of my flaws. I couldn't do it anymore."

"I see. Well... that was exactly what I thought you would say."

The Skydancer stared at the Mirror in surprise. Sura only smiled.

"When you broke out of the globe during your performance with Ori, I had a feeling there was a deeper meaning in your performance. All artists do that when expressing themselves, whether it be through painting, through writing, or through song - their art is, after all, a way for them to vent, to let go of their emotions. And you breaking out of that globe is the best way to let all of that out and finally release it. Now come. I have something to show you."

Sura and Kamilah took a brisk walk through one of the forked pathways until they reached the end of the cave. To Kamilah's shock, sitting there at the edge of the cave was a large, open purple seashell encased in a beautiful snowglobe - the very platform that she stood on in her last performance. The globe had been reassembled somehow, likely through magic.

"My young Skydancer, it is time you finally completed your entrance ritual. When we asked you to perform for us, we were only doing so as a test, to see what you would do. And you passed, with flying colors. Now, this last part should be easy for you, if you truly wished to leave your safety bubble."

Kamilah turned to the globe, a glint of determination in her eyes.

"...You want me to shatter the globe once more?"

"Yes. I'm the only one here, so you won't have to worry about anyone else watching. I'm only here to ensure you pass your test. Now, go ahead. Release your anger. Let your emotions flow for just a moment." Sura walked to the entrance from whence they entered, and took a seat.

The Skydancer took a deep breath, staring at the large globe before her. She spent months on this, but it was finally time for her to release herself from her insecurities. She took a step towards the globe and then jumped, taking flight.

Kamilah grabbed the top of the globe and lifted it up high. Once she was near the cave's ceiling, she threw it downwards, sending it hurtling towards the floor. It hit one of the crystals and immediately broke to pieces, shattering it completely.

Sura grinned as the Skydancer landed gracefully in front of her, taking a bow, as typical of a performer.

"Excellent! Tell me, young one. How do you feel?"

"Better."

"That's what I like to hear." Sura got up.

"Now we celebrate tonight! Come to the entrance with me."

"Queen Cynosura?" Kamilah asked as they headed back out.

"Yes, dear?"

"...Would it be alright if I changed my name?"

"Oh? You want to go by a different name now?"

"Futhark told me that name changes were common after the entrance ceremony. After some thought, I'd like to change my name, if that's alright with you."

"Of course! Did you already have a name in mind?"

Kamilah grinned happily at the Leader.

"Rhodochrosite. After the crystal. I felt that it would be a good name."

"A good name indeed. Rhodochrosite it is! You... might want to use a nickname though. It's good, but it's a bit long."

"Hmmm... would Rosite be a good nickname?"

"Most definitely!"

Kamilah felt her frustrations finally lifting. She took one more look at the cave before walking out.

From tonight onwards... she would be known as Rhodochrosite. The beautifully imperfect crystal. She couldn't wait.

Featured Dragons:

46773745_350.png

Rhodochrosite, a dragon I got recently from an IF Choose Your Lucky Egg game! She's gorgeous, isn't she? :D I originally planned to sell her, but then I realized she had great lore potential thanks to the recent festival skin! Haven't written her lore yet, but hopefully I will when I have the time.

44649845_350.png

Cynosura, Polaris' wife and second leader in command! She's a great fighter, like Polaris! I want to scatter her so that hopefully, she can have blue-purple range colors, just like her husband! Here's to hoping I might be able to get that done in the new year!

44839187_350.png

And vaguely mentioned only once or twice, Futhark! He was close to Maelstrom, one of the children who stayed within the clan and became a seasoned fighter before going off to serve another clan. Contrary to his species, he's surprisingly sweet, though he's pretty good at fighting as well! You might see him in upcoming excerpts!

Music Inspo for Today's Prompt: Shatter Me - Lindsey Stirling ft. Lzzy Hale
MiowxPk.gif NNGMvB2.pngwwQtqt8.png
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31 32