Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [ fodderlocke ] the blacksap crew.
1 2
[columns] [color=transparent]xxx[/color][nextcol][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/19454.png[/img][color=transparent]xxxx[/color][nextcol][nextcol][center][font=verdana][size=7][color=#211d1c][b]BLACKSAP CREW.[/color][/size] [size=6][color=#f29448]a fodderlocke challenge.[/color][/size][/center] [/columns] [color=#474340]as bitter & acrid as the cigars they take their name from, the blacksap crew are a rogue team of bootleggers & swindlers based on the isle of potash proper. smack dab in the middle of the sea that separates the ashfall wastes and the southern icefield, few enemies ever find, let alone breach their hideout. but the seclusion comes at a price; their delivery routes are long and often dangerous. they're never sure when a rival gang might stage an ambush, or if one of the exalted soldiers they usually sell to has ratted them out to save their own skin. it's a risky business, not helped by all the in-fighting & backstabbing. once you've joined blacksap, your time's already running low.[/color] [rule] [center][font=verdana][size=6][color=#211d1c][b]INTRO & RULES.[/color][/size][/center] [color=#474340]hello & welcome! i'm pan (he/him) & this here is my little slice of lockdown induced madness. i stumbled across [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2806527/1]squidragon's fodderlocke thread [/url] a few days ago, started getting set up for it & quickly lost my mind creating a whole storyline for the two cowboy wizards who lead the crew. this is gonna be a fairly lore heavy one lads. for simplicity's sake, i'm including rule set i'll be using for this run down below. for now i'm mostly sticking to the original rules, but any changes i make down the line will be in [color=#f29448]orange[/color]. [rule] [quote] [center][size=5][color=#211d1c][b][font=verdana]SET UP.[/font][/b][/size][/color][/center][size=4][color=#474340][font=verdana][LIST] [*]Buy yourself the cheapest adult dragon off the auction house. Appearance doesn’t matter when your only goal in life is to do crime. [*]Level that dragon to 8. They must be stronger than their recruits. Strength is valuable. Important.. Vital to not being backstabbed. Put a big obnoxious crown and/or robe on them for good measure. They Must know their worth. They Must know that they’re better than alllll the others. [indent][color=#f29448][size=5]*[/size] for the sake of [b]* d r a m a *[/b] i've started with two leaders, each of which commands their own squad. the same rules apply re: the leader being exalted if a member of their particular squad ends up as a higher level than them. [*][color=#474340]If any dragon ever passes them in level, that dragon takes over as the new leader. Exalt the old leader. They must be banished in shame. [*][color=#474340]Recruit your first crime buddies. Grab 4 more of the cheapest adults off the auction house. Level each of them to 6. [/LIST][/quote] [quote] [center][size=5][color=#211d1c][b]DAILY TASKS.[/b][/size][/color][/center] [b]PHASE 1.[/b] [LIST] [*][font=verdana]Buy yourself the two cheapest adult dragons off the auction house. These are your potential recruits. [*]Drag them through your two-fodder venue of choice together until they hit level 6. [*]Roll a 6-sided die for each. If you get a 6, congrats! That dragon has passed your test and has been hired into your band of criminals. [*]If a dragon fails, exalt it. It is not worthy of being among you. [*]Continue your recruitment efforts until you get a successful recruit (or two at once if you’re lucky)! You may now move on to the drama phase. [indent][color=#f29448][size=5]*[/size] if i do manage to recruit two dragons, one will go to each leader's crew. the leader they are placed under is determined by their element. [/LIST] [b]PHASE 2.[/b] [color=#f29448][size=5]*[/size] i'll be rolling one challenge for each of the two crews, meaning i'll be completing two phase 2's for every phase 1 i complete.[/color] Roll a 12-sided die. Your next challenge is as follows: [LIST=1] [*][b]There’s a scandal afoot.[/b] Pick two of your ready to breed dragons at random if you have any. Put them on a nest. The babies will join your crime organisation when they hatch. Level them to 5 when they come of age. If the parents would be exalted while they’re on the nest, wait until their nest hatches and Then exalt them. If nobody is ready to breed, grab a random hatchie off the AH. A secret forbidden child or sibling has been uncovered. [*][b]There’s Romance in the air.[/b] Pick two dragons at random. They are now in a relationship. If one gets exalted, so does the other. Their fates are bound together. [*][b]Hunting trip. [/b]Take any two of your dragons into a coli venue that is too low for them to gain experience. (Your choice). Go until you get a familiar drop. [indent][b]Alternate Hunting Trip Variation[/b] (Roll 1d4): 1) Hunting Trip (Look for a familiar) 2) Treasure Hunt (Look for a chest or other openable) 3) Stocking up on Supplies (Look for a battlestone) 4) Costume Shopping (Look for an apparel item) [*][b]Freeloader.[/b] Some random dragon has decided to hang at your place. Who is this guy???? Grab the cheapest adult off the AH. Leave them at level 1. For bonus points, try sniping an underpriced adult. [*][b]Crimes time![/b] Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission. [*][b]Crimes time![/b] Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission. [*][b]Crimes time! [/b]Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission. [*][b]Kids can do crimes too.[/b] Grab the cheapest hatchie off the AH. Level it to 5 when it comes of age. [*][b]Backstabbing.[/b] Choose a dragon at random who is not the leader. Exalt them. Bye. [indent][b]Alternate Honorable Duel Option:[/b] Flip a coin, if heads, take two random not-leader dragons into the coli and exalt whoever faints first. If tails, do the backstabbing as above. [*][b]Test the Newbies.[/b] Roll a d10 for each of your lowest-level dragons. If it’s higher than their level, exalt them. They were not good enough. Raise the remaining low-level dragons by one level. [*][b]Major Heist!![/b] This is it! Your time to shine. Roll a d12 for Every dragon. If you get higher than their level, exalt. Raise all survivors by one level. [indent][b]Alternate Safer Heist Option:[/b] Flip a coin. Heads? the mission was a success! Instead of getting exalted on the failed role above, they simply don't gain a level. Tails? Exalt as above. [*][b]A coup![/b] Exalt your leader. They have been dramatically betrayed by the others a la the ides of march. Determine a new leader from the remaining dragons. The highest level dragon will be it. If there is a tie, the oldest tied dragon shall be the leader. Level the tied dragon one level to make it better than its peers. [/LIST] [/quote] [quote] [center][size=5][color=#211d1c][b]BONUS RULES.[/b][/size][/color][/center] Keep an eye on your drops while you’re in the coli. If you get any of the following while training, grant the following effects to your members who were in the coli with them at the time. [LIST] [*][b]Eliminate:[/b] Oh, bad luck. Exalt both of them. [*][b]Gene: [/b]Good luck! They’ve blessed you with excellent loot. Put an apparel item of choice on each to mark as given a second chance. If you would exalt them, instead remove the apparel. They have managed to scrape by. [*][b]Egg:[/b] Oh nice, think of how many hatchlings you can buy if you sell One egg. Pick up the three cheapest hatchies on the AH. Level them to 5 when they come of age. [*][b]Rally: [/b]The current party is motivated! If they would have to roll as to whether or not they'll get exalted at the end of this coli event, they automatically succeed and return safely to your lair. [*][b]Ambush:[/b] Randomly choose one of the dragons in the current coli party. They flee and get the heck out. Immediately refresh, remove them, and replace them with a random other dragon. [/LIST] [/quote] [rule] [center][font=verdana][size=6][color=#211d1c][b]PINGLIST.[/color][/size] @everburn[/center] [rule] [columns][color=transparent]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color][nextcol] [quote][color=transparent]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color][font=verdana][size=6][color=#211d1c][b]CONTENTS.[/color][/size][color=transparent]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color][center][size=4][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2847310#post_42929606]Prologue.[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2847310#post_42939385]The New Crew.[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2847310/1#post_43042889]Week One: the Scout and the Bontanist.[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2847310/2#post_43370026]Week One: The Harvest.[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2847310/2#post_51677719]Weel Two: The Houseguests[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2847310/2#post_53412436]Week Two: Mother Hubbard.[/url] [/size][/center] [/quote] [nextcol][color=transparent]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color][/columns]
xxx 19454.pngxxxx
BLACKSAP CREW.
a fodderlocke challenge.

as bitter & acrid as the cigars they take their name from, the blacksap crew are a rogue team of bootleggers & swindlers based on the isle of potash proper. smack dab in the middle of the sea that separates the ashfall wastes and the southern icefield, few enemies ever find, let alone breach their hideout. but the seclusion comes at a price; their delivery routes are long and often dangerous. they're never sure when a rival gang might stage an ambush, or if one of the exalted soldiers they usually sell to has ratted them out to save their own skin.

it's a risky business, not helped by all the in-fighting & backstabbing. once you've joined blacksap, your time's already running low.

INTRO & RULES.
hello & welcome! i'm pan (he/him) & this here is my little slice of lockdown induced madness. i stumbled across squidragon's fodderlocke thread a few days ago, started getting set up for it & quickly lost my mind creating a whole storyline for the two cowboy wizards who lead the crew. this is gonna be a fairly lore heavy one lads.

for simplicity's sake, i'm including rule set i'll be using for this run down below. for now i'm mostly sticking to the original rules, but any changes i make down the line will be in orange.

Quote:
SET UP.
  • Buy yourself the cheapest adult dragon off the auction house. Appearance doesn’t matter when your only goal in life is to do crime.
  • Level that dragon to 8. They must be stronger than their recruits. Strength is valuable. Important.. Vital to not being backstabbed. Put a big obnoxious crown and/or robe on them for good measure. They Must know their worth. They Must know that they’re better than alllll the others.
    * for the sake of * d r a m a * i've started with two leaders, each of which commands their own squad. the same rules apply re: the leader being exalted if a member of their particular squad ends up as a higher level than them.
  • If any dragon ever passes them in level, that dragon takes over as the new leader. Exalt the old leader. They must be banished in shame.
  • Recruit your first crime buddies. Grab 4 more of the cheapest adults off the auction house. Level each of them to 6.
Quote:
DAILY TASKS.
PHASE 1.
  • Buy yourself the two cheapest adult dragons off the auction house. These are your potential recruits.
  • Drag them through your two-fodder venue of choice together until they hit level 6.
  • Roll a 6-sided die for each. If you get a 6, congrats! That dragon has passed your test and has been hired into your band of criminals.
  • If a dragon fails, exalt it. It is not worthy of being among you.
  • Continue your recruitment efforts until you get a successful recruit (or two at once if you’re lucky)! You may now move on to the drama phase.
    * if i do manage to recruit two dragons, one will go to each leader's crew. the leader they are placed under is determined by their element.

PHASE 2.

* i'll be rolling one challenge for each of the two crews, meaning i'll be completing two phase 2's for every phase 1 i complete.

Roll a 12-sided die. Your next challenge is as follows:
  1. There’s a scandal afoot. Pick two of your ready to breed dragons at random if you have any. Put them on a nest. The babies will join your crime organisation when they hatch. Level them to 5 when they come of age. If the parents would be exalted while they’re on the nest, wait until their nest hatches and Then exalt them. If nobody is ready to breed, grab a random hatchie off the AH. A secret forbidden child or sibling has been uncovered.
  2. There’s Romance in the air. Pick two dragons at random. They are now in a relationship. If one gets exalted, so does the other. Their fates are bound together.
  3. Hunting trip. Take any two of your dragons into a coli venue that is too low for them to gain experience. (Your choice). Go until you get a familiar drop.

Alternate Hunting Trip Variation (Roll 1d4):
    1) Hunting Trip (Look for a familiar)
    2) Treasure Hunt (Look for a chest or other openable)
    3) Stocking up on Supplies (Look for a battlestone)
    4) Costume Shopping (Look for an apparel item)
  4. Freeloader. Some random dragon has decided to hang at your place. Who is this guy???? Grab the cheapest adult off the AH. Leave them at level 1. For bonus points, try sniping an underpriced adult.
  5. Crimes time! Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission.
  6. Crimes time! Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission.
  7. Crimes time! Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission.
  8. Kids can do crimes too. Grab the cheapest hatchie off the AH. Level it to 5 when it comes of age.
  9. Backstabbing. Choose a dragon at random who is not the leader. Exalt them. Bye.

Alternate Honorable Duel Option: Flip a coin, if heads, take two random not-leader dragons into the coli and exalt whoever faints first. If tails, do the backstabbing as above.
  10. Test the Newbies. Roll a d10 for each of your lowest-level dragons. If it’s higher than their level, exalt them. They were not good enough. Raise the remaining low-level dragons by one level.
  11. Major Heist!! This is it! Your time to shine. Roll a d12 for Every dragon. If you get higher than their level, exalt. Raise all survivors by one level.

Alternate Safer Heist Option: Flip a coin. Heads? the mission was a success! Instead of getting exalted on the failed role above, they simply don't gain a level. Tails? Exalt as above.
  12. A coup! Exalt your leader. They have been dramatically betrayed by the others a la the ides of march. Determine a new leader from the remaining dragons. The highest level dragon will be it. If there is a tie, the oldest tied dragon shall be the leader. Level the tied dragon one level to make it better than its peers.
Quote:
BONUS RULES.
Keep an eye on your drops while you’re in the coli. If you get any of the following while training, grant the following effects to your members who were in the coli with them at the time.
  • Eliminate: Oh, bad luck. Exalt both of them.
  • Gene: Good luck! They’ve blessed you with excellent loot. Put an apparel item of choice on each to mark as given a second chance. If you would exalt them, instead remove the apparel. They have managed to scrape by.
  • Egg: Oh nice, think of how many hatchlings you can buy if you sell One egg. Pick up the three cheapest hatchies on the AH. Level them to 5 when they come of age.
  • Rally: The current party is motivated! If they would have to roll as to whether or not they'll get exalted at the end of this coli event, they automatically succeed and return safely to your lair.
  • Ambush: Randomly choose one of the dragons in the current coli party. They flee and get the heck out. Immediately refresh, remove them, and replace them with a random other dragon.

PINGLIST.

@everburn

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TgDWGF.png xpan
xhe/him
xfr+8
TgP7gC.png

i have 500k worth of clan lore in my head bouncing around like a dvd screensaver

fodderlocke
breeding hell
[center][font=verdana][size=6][color=#211d1c][b]CURRENT CREW.[/color][/size][/center] [columns] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=39532094&skin=0&apparel=23035,664,32694,690,23037,13815&xt=dressing.png[/img][nextcol][center][font=verdana][size=5][color=#211d1c][b][emoji=fire rune size=1] ARJANA.[/b][/color][/size] [size=4]head brewer.[/center] rough, gruff & straight to the point. arjana was once a mage in the flamecaller's god guard but was was exiled for violently attacking a comrade who repeatedly insulted her magical talent. shunned by common society, she fell into a life of crime and soon ended up working as a mercenary. the pay was good but something was missing. arjana found herself resenting the fact she was a fleeting presence in people's lives, a dragon without friends, family or clanmates. that was, until tawny, the previous head brewer hired her to help them defend a shipment. uncharacteristically friendly for a dragon who deals with the black market, tawny was unphased by arjana's gruffness and was so impressed with her skills that she asked camphor to permanently hire arjana as a bodyguard. arjana may be bitter and calloused but there is nothing she won't do for a dragon she considers a friend. she may have joined the crew for financial gain, but now tawny's behind bars, she's determined to carry on crafting & selling the spirits that were so dear to her friend. [center][size=5]*[/size][size=6]*[/size][size=5]*[/size][/center] [/columns] [columns] [center][font=verdana][size=5][color=#211d1c][b][emoji=ice rune size=1] DEMELIN.[/b][/color][/size] [size=4]head of liasons.[/center] silver eyed, silver tongued. demelin started life as an apprentice to an old witch in his home clan. life was easy, life was sweet, until his master discovered he was creating his own private army of ice golems to steal from his clan mates whilst they slept. exiled for his crimes, he set about making a name for himself as a thief for hire. once again, he was perfectly content with his life. up until the money he made each month stopped scaling to his ever more lavish spending habits. soon he found himself in debt with a bounty on his head. his salvation came in the form of camphor, the old head of blacksap who agreed to pay off his debts if he swore to work as part of the crew for the next decade. demelin agreed, if only because camphor had promised to start paying him a generous wage once the debts were dealt with. camphor might be behind bars now, but the debts remain—if demelin can't keep blacksap afloat with arjana then he's done for. [center][size=5]*[/size][size=6]*[/size][size=5]*[/size][/center] [nextcol][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=60445572&skin=0&apparel=654,23290,25048,308,664,25929,10876&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/columns] [center][size=6]*[/size][size=7]*[/size][size=6]*[/size][/center] [columns] [img]https://i.imgur.com/Li6LdzS.png[/img][nextcol][center][font=verdana][size=5][color=#211d1c][b][emoji=fire rune size=1] ALDA.[/b][/color][/size] [size=4]the accountant.[/center] polite, verbose & not phased by much of anything, Alda may seem like a strange fit for a band of criminals but, frankly, she's just happy to be working in finance again. After her employer was arrested for exploitation, Alda was chased out of her home clan & forced to work as a mercenary. She's more than capable of fighting, but she finds having to hurt other dragons & beastmen rather distressing. Staying home on Potash Proper & organising the books is more than enough to keep her stimulated. [center][size=5]*[/size][size=6]*[/size][size=5]*[/size][/center] [/columns] [columns] [center][font=verdana][size=5][color=#211d1c][b][emoji=fire rune size=1] JOHANNES.[/b][/color][/size] [size=4]arjana's bodyguard.[/center] stoic, loyal, utterly silent. nobody in the crew has any clue where johannes came from & nobody is particularly eager to ask. it's hard enough to strike up a conversation with a dragon that doesn't talk to anyone. it's impossible to have a conversation with a dragon that doesn't answer back. he is undoubtedly a feral dragon chased away from his clan & into the underbelly of society. what's less certain is why exactly arjana chose to hire such a brainless beast as a bodyguard. [center][size=5]*[/size][size=6]*[/size][size=5]*[/size][/center] [nextcol][img]https://i.imgur.com/Jk486Up.png[/img] [/columns] [columns] [img]https://i.imgur.com/vctQynV.png[/img][nextcol][center][font=verdana][size=5][color=#211d1c][b][emoji=fire rune size=1] MILO.[/b][/color][/size] [size=4]the botanist.[/center] [center]—[/center] [center][size=5]*[/size][size=6]*[/size][size=5]*[/size][/center] [/columns] [rule] [center][font=verdana][size=6][color=#211d1c][b]TURNED IN.[/color][/size][/center] [center][color=#474340][font=verdana]nobody yet. how fortunate![/center]
CURRENT CREW.
dragon?did=39532094&skin=0&apparel=23035,664,32694,690,23037,13815&xt=dressing.png
ARJANA.
head brewer.
rough, gruff & straight to the point. arjana was once a mage in the flamecaller's god guard but was was exiled for violently attacking a comrade who repeatedly insulted her magical talent.

shunned by common society, she fell into a life of crime and soon ended up working as a mercenary. the pay was good but something was missing. arjana found herself resenting the fact she was a fleeting presence in people's lives, a dragon without friends, family or clanmates. that was, until tawny, the previous head brewer hired her to help them defend a shipment. uncharacteristically friendly for a dragon who deals with the black market, tawny was unphased by arjana's gruffness and was so impressed with her skills that she asked camphor to permanently hire arjana as a bodyguard.

arjana may be bitter and calloused but there is nothing she won't do for a dragon she considers a friend. she may have joined the crew for financial gain, but now tawny's behind bars, she's determined to carry on crafting & selling the spirits that were so dear to her friend.

DEMELIN.
head of liasons.
silver eyed, silver tongued. demelin started life as an apprentice to an old witch in his home clan. life was easy, life was sweet, until his master discovered he was creating his own private army of ice golems to steal from his clan mates whilst they slept.

exiled for his crimes, he set about making a name for himself as a thief for hire. once again, he was perfectly content with his life. up until the money he made each month stopped scaling to his ever more lavish spending habits. soon he found himself in debt with a bounty on his head.

his salvation came in the form of camphor, the old head of blacksap who agreed to pay off his debts if he swore to work as part of the crew for the next decade. demelin agreed, if only because camphor had promised to start paying him a generous wage once the debts were dealt with. camphor might be behind bars now, but the debts remain—if demelin can't keep blacksap afloat with arjana then he's done for.
dragon?did=60445572&skin=0&apparel=654,23290,25048,308,664,25929,10876&xt=dressing.png
Li6LdzS.png
ALDA.
the accountant.
polite, verbose & not phased by much of anything, Alda may seem like a strange fit for a band of criminals but, frankly, she's just happy to be working in finance again. After her employer was arrested for exploitation, Alda was chased out of her home clan & forced to work as a mercenary. She's more than capable of fighting, but she finds having to hurt other dragons & beastmen rather distressing. Staying home on Potash Proper & organising the books is more than enough to keep her stimulated.

JOHANNES.
arjana's bodyguard.
stoic, loyal, utterly silent. nobody in the crew has any clue where johannes came from & nobody is particularly eager to ask. it's hard enough to strike up a conversation with a dragon that doesn't talk to anyone. it's impossible to have a conversation with a dragon that doesn't answer back.

he is undoubtedly a feral dragon chased away from his clan & into the underbelly of society. what's less certain is why exactly arjana chose to hire such a brainless beast as a bodyguard.
Jk486Up.png

vctQynV.png
MILO.
the botanist.

TURNED IN.
nobody yet. how fortunate!
TgDWGF.png xpan
xhe/him
xfr+8
TgP7gC.png

i have 500k worth of clan lore in my head bouncing around like a dvd screensaver

fodderlocke
breeding hell
[center][size=6][color=#211d1c][b][font=verdana]PROLOGUE.[/font][/b][/size][/color][/center] [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/395321/39532094.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/604456/60445572.png[/img][/center] [rule] [font=verdana][size=3][color=#474340] Demelin gasped for breath as he heaved himself over the cliff-face and onto Potash Proper. For a moment he lay with his fever hot face against the cool earth, waiting for his body to stop shaking. Eleven above, how grateful he was to yesterday’s Demelin for stashing his last full box of Blacksap’s underneath his bunk. With a heave he pushed himself upright, started towards the hut. The thatched roof of the porch still jutted out from the hill it was built into, same as ever. He chose to ignore the cacophony of swears that poured out from behind him as Arjana attempted to land. There was a distinct thump as she hit the ground and not two seconds later she was stomping ahead of him, upright already. She slammed the hut door behind her as she lurched inside. Demelin’s lip twitched as he followed her inside. Arjana stood at the opposite end of the room, throwing damp pine logs into the fireplace. Demelin kicked the nearest chair out from under the table and took a seat, throwing his legs onto a placemat. With a snap of her fingers, Arjana summoned a tiny flame. There was a hiss as she threw the flame into the logs, which burst into a roaring fire instantaneously. Arjana’s side of the room was lit with a golden glow, fierce and bright. When she turned to take the chair at the head of the table, well, it was as if a silhouette was taking a seat opposite him. “The entire operation, gone up in smoke, except for the two new kids they hired as extra muscle,” Arjana muttered as she peered out the window, not bothering to look at him. “Just what I needed.” Demelin’s lips twitched into a bitter smile. “Getting cold feet now, Arj?” That struck a nerve. Arjana finally turned to face him, eyes flat, angry. “Where’d you propose I go, if I left you alone to run this circus? You really think I’m stupid enough to try and get friendly with another crew when half of Sorneith’s god’s gaurds are out looking for us?” “No, no.” Demelin replied, his voice dripping with false sweetness. “I thought you might retire, find a little patch of ash back home, return to the simple things in life, start hunting fireflies for your dinner.” Arjana spat across the room, the goblet shooting over the table and landing uncomfortably close to his left foot. “I’d rather be frozen solid in the Fortress than go off to live like a feral beast.” “Awfully unsanitary,” Demelin replied, shifting his foot away from the puddle of spit on the table. He hoped his casual tone hid the genuine disgust churning in his stomach. “I’ll tell you what’s gonna be unsanitary,” Arjana growled. “Your stinkin’ corpse when you mix a little bit too much wormwood into the brew and rot your guts out when you go to taste it. Tawny chose to teach me how to distill it all, not you. You need me here to run this operation.” Demelin only hid his scowl by digging his claws into the underside of the table. He almost gagged as he felt a layer of half-rotten splinters stick in his nails. Even now, when everyone else in the crew had been dragged off to the Fortress of Ends, when he logically should have been grateful someone else had escaped the trap, having to share this space with Arjana was making his blood boil. But he couldn’t let her get to him, not if he wanted to carry on lining his pockets with Blacksap’s moonshine money. Demelin could talk a homeless drunk into buying the moon from him, but the fact was Arjana was the only one who knew how to brew the booze. For now, anyway. He relaxed his grip on the table, cracking his knuckles as he placed his feet back on the floor. “I hate to admit it, but you’re right Arja. I wouldn’t be able to keep Blacksap afloat without your expertise. But, I have to say, I don’t think you’d have much luck on the business side without me there to help set our customers at ease.” Arjana narrowed her eyes at him. “Your point being?” Demelin clasped his hands together, resting them on the table. “I know we’d both like to be the heir apparent of this little operation but it’s not wise for either of us to dispose of the other. So with that in mind, I have a little proposition for you.” Arjana’s fins raised slightly as she propped her elbow on the table, resting her chin on her clenched fist. “What’dya got in mind?” Demelin’s signature wide grin split his face. “Well, we don’t work particularly well together, and we’ll need more than two sets of claws on the job if we want to keep Blacksap afloat.” “Yeah?” Arjana fixed her eyes on him with an impatient scroll dressing her face. “So,” Demelin continued, “We’ll each go out, hire ourselves a new crew. You and your crew can manage the cellar, sort the kegs and make deliveries to our regulars. Me and my crew will scout out new clients and keep our friends in the god’s guards on good terms.” “And we’ll all take turns gatherin’?” “Precisely, Arjana.” Clicking her wrist, Arjana straightened up. “And if somebody’s not pullin’ their weight?” Demelin tilted his head. “Handed straight to the Fortress for bounty money, of course.” The golden glow from the fire seemed to intensify, as if Arjana’s side of the room was burning golden hot as her eyes narrowed into a smile. “Sounds like we have a deal, Demelin.”
PROLOGUE.
39532094.png60445572.png

Demelin gasped for breath as he heaved himself over the cliff-face and onto Potash Proper. For a moment he lay with his fever hot face against the cool earth, waiting for his body to stop shaking. Eleven above, how grateful he was to yesterday’s Demelin for stashing his last full box of Blacksap’s underneath his bunk.

With a heave he pushed himself upright, started towards the hut. The thatched roof of the porch still jutted out from the hill it was built into, same as ever. He chose to ignore the cacophony of swears that poured out from behind him as Arjana attempted to land. There was a distinct thump as she hit the ground and not two seconds later she was stomping ahead of him, upright already. She slammed the hut door behind her as she lurched inside. Demelin’s lip twitched as he followed her inside.

Arjana stood at the opposite end of the room, throwing damp pine logs into the fireplace. Demelin kicked the nearest chair out from under the table and took a seat, throwing his legs onto a placemat. With a snap of her fingers, Arjana summoned a tiny flame. There was a hiss as she threw the flame into the logs, which burst into a roaring fire instantaneously. Arjana’s side of the room was lit with a golden glow, fierce and bright. When she turned to take the chair at the head of the table, well, it was as if a silhouette was taking a seat opposite him.

“The entire operation, gone up in smoke, except for the two new kids they hired as extra muscle,” Arjana muttered as she peered out the window, not bothering to look at him. “Just what I needed.”

Demelin’s lips twitched into a bitter smile. “Getting cold feet now, Arj?”

That struck a nerve. Arjana finally turned to face him, eyes flat, angry. “Where’d you propose I go, if I left you alone to run this circus? You really think I’m stupid enough to try and get friendly with another crew when half of Sorneith’s god’s gaurds are out looking for us?”

“No, no.” Demelin replied, his voice dripping with false sweetness. “I thought you might retire, find a little patch of ash back home, return to the simple things in life, start hunting fireflies for your dinner.”

Arjana spat across the room, the goblet shooting over the table and landing uncomfortably close to his left foot. “I’d rather be frozen solid in the Fortress than go off to live like a feral beast.”

“Awfully unsanitary,” Demelin replied, shifting his foot away from the puddle of spit on the table. He hoped his casual tone hid the genuine disgust churning in his stomach.

“I’ll tell you what’s gonna be unsanitary,” Arjana growled. “Your stinkin’ corpse when you mix a little bit too much wormwood into the brew and rot your guts out when you go to taste it. Tawny chose to teach me how to distill it all, not you. You need me here to run this operation.”

Demelin only hid his scowl by digging his claws into the underside of the table. He almost gagged as he felt a layer of half-rotten splinters stick in his nails. Even now, when everyone else in the crew had been dragged off to the Fortress of Ends, when he logically should have been grateful someone else had escaped the trap, having to share this space with Arjana was making his blood boil. But he couldn’t let her get to him, not if he wanted to carry on lining his pockets with Blacksap’s moonshine money. Demelin could talk a homeless drunk into buying the moon from him, but the fact was Arjana was the only one who knew how to brew the booze. For now, anyway.

He relaxed his grip on the table, cracking his knuckles as he placed his feet back on the floor.

“I hate to admit it, but you’re right Arja. I wouldn’t be able to keep Blacksap afloat without your expertise. But, I have to say, I don’t think you’d have much luck on the business side without me there to help set our customers at ease.”

Arjana narrowed her eyes at him. “Your point being?”

Demelin clasped his hands together, resting them on the table. “I know we’d both like to be the heir apparent of this little operation but it’s not wise for either of us to dispose of the other. So with that in mind, I have a little proposition for you.”

Arjana’s fins raised slightly as she propped her elbow on the table, resting her chin on her clenched fist. “What’dya got in mind?”

Demelin’s signature wide grin split his face. “Well, we don’t work particularly well together, and we’ll need more than two sets of claws on the job if we want to keep Blacksap afloat.”

“Yeah?” Arjana fixed her eyes on him with an impatient scroll dressing her face.

“So,” Demelin continued, “We’ll each go out, hire ourselves a new crew. You and your crew can manage the cellar, sort the kegs and make deliveries to our regulars. Me and my crew will scout out new clients and keep our friends in the god’s guards on good terms.”

“And we’ll all take turns gatherin’?”

“Precisely, Arjana.”

Clicking her wrist, Arjana straightened up. “And if somebody’s not pullin’ their weight?”

Demelin tilted his head. “Handed straight to the Fortress for bounty money, of course.”

The golden glow from the fire seemed to intensify, as if Arjana’s side of the room was burning golden hot as her eyes narrowed into a smile.

“Sounds like we have a deal, Demelin.”
TgDWGF.png xpan
xhe/him
xfr+8
TgP7gC.png

fodderlocke
breeding hell
@pantali
really interesting! pinglist, please!
@pantali
really interesting! pinglist, please!
*hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a
@Everburn
a pinglist can definitely happen, thanks so much for checking this out!
@Everburn
a pinglist can definitely happen, thanks so much for checking this out!
TgDWGF.png xpan
xhe/him
xfr+8
TgP7gC.png

fodderlocke
breeding hell
[center][size=6][color=#211d1c][b][font=verdana]THE NEW CREW.[/font][/b][/size][/color][/center] [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/395321/39532094.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/604456/60445572.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/604548/60454767.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/569682/56968195.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/604540/60453921.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/500477/50047692.png[/img] [/center] [rule] [font=verdana][size=3][color=#474340]“You can stick around, get to know Demelin, if you have to,” Arjana told the gaoler walking beside her. “I wanna get this stuff packed up,”—she patted the basket of aether cherries she held at her side—“they don’t stay fresh forever. And I think Mr. Johannes wants to check out his new digs.” The gaoler agreed, bowing her head when Arjana tipped her hat and made off down the street, ‘Mr. Johannes’ following behind her. Demelin chuffed. They looked faintly ridiculous, walking alongside each other. Even walking as a beast-man, Arjana barely broke five feet tall whilst her companion was closer to seven. Arjana only kept her facial fins when she shifted whilst the guardian obediently following along behind her still had his horns, spines, fins and even his tail and dragon’s legs. Frankly he’d taken the idea of a beast-man form too literally. Demelin was pleased to see the gaoler, who was currently walking across the tavern garden towards their table, had opted for a less outrageous shift. No ancient could take a truly humanoid form, of course, but he was pleased to see this one had kept her tail and wings out of the equation. She simply looked like any other gaoler walking upright, aside from the foul black slime that seemed to drip from her fur. Absolutely revolting, but far from the worst magical malady that Demelin had come across in these parts. “You’re Demelin, I presume?” she asked as she approached the table. Demelin shook her hand with a smile when she offered it. “I am, and I must say I’m glad you’re finally here. Arja was taking so long to find her new recruits I was convinced her smart mouth had finally gotten her killed.” He let out a little bark of laughter before continuing. “And your name is..?” “Alda, Mister Demelin.” “[i]Alda[/i], wonderful, and what is it you’re going to bring to the table then, Alda?” “Well.” She began. “I am a financial advisor by trade—an odd job for a gaoler I know, but an entrepreneur in my birth clan took a shine to me and insisted he take me on as his apprentice. Only trouble is, he was involved with some bootleggers, not unlike yourselves. When the whole scandal came to light I’m afraid his reputation was shot and mine was dragged down with it. He was arrested and I was forced to become a mercenary or go feral. But I’ve still been trying to find work in the financial sphere and word must have gotten to Arjana because she came looking for me.” “Excellent, excellent,” Demelin cried in his best cheery voice. Warden in the Fortress, he couldn’t stand dragons who didn’t know when to shut up and Accolights like Alda were the worst of all. And, frankly, the fact Arjana had hired an accountant seemed like an insult rather than a coincidence to him. That was fine, he just wouldn’t give her the satisfaction of seeing him irritated by it. “I’m sure you’ll be a real asset to the crew,” he continued, “It’ll be nice to have someone who can handle the books as well as they know how to fight.” Chen then decided that was the right moment to pipe up. “[i]Aww[/i], come on Boss, I might look stupid but I got good money sense from back when I was a courrier ya know!” His tone was light and playful but it was clearly half a joke and half a reprimand. Demelin would have to keep an eye on that. “Oh yes, I imagine you do,” Alda chimed, “you’ll have to help me plan out the new trade routes, [i]Mister[/i]..?” “Just Chen, lady, no need to get misters and misses involved,” Chen replied with a lopsided grin, “and doing some map work again sounds like fun.” He held out a hand that Alda shook warmly with a polite ‘excellent’ before she turned to the final dragon sat at the table. “And your name, madam?” Demelin swallowed as everyone turned to face the girl with a mess of silken white hair, through which her spiral’s horns and ears just poked through. She sat perfectly still but stiff as a bolder, like a rabbit about to make a dash for its hole. Slowly, painfully, her large glassy eyes rolled to meet Alda’s. Demelin caught her shifting back slightly. “Here, they call me Panella,” she croaked out. Her voice was so hoarse that Demelin had the sneaking suspicion the conversation they’d had when he offered her the job was the first she’d had in months. “[i]He[/i],”—her wide eyes slid to Demelin—“wanted more muscle in the group. He said he wanted more mages because they are so few of you, yes.” The other three exchanged glances. They’d been operating in black market circles for long enough to recognise an exiled feral dragon. “Well,” Alda finally replied. “I think that makes sense. I think we’ll all sleep better knowing that everyone in the crew is capable of defending themselves.” “[i]Yes,[/i]” Demelin leaned forward slightly as he spoke. “Yes, my thoughts exactly.” [center][size=5]*[/size][size=6]*[/size][size=5]*[/size][/center] [font=verdana][size=3][color=#474340]On the ferry home, Arjana had stood staring into the sunset as she nursed her last Blacksap cigar. Alda had come from behind her, announcing her presence with a polite cough. “Has Blacksap always hired feral dragons for protection?” She’d asked. Arjana had narrowed her eyes. “You got a problem with them being here?” “No, I meant nothing by it,” Alda explained, voice perfectly calm and even. “I just couldn’t help but notice both you and Demelin had hired one each.” Arjana’s face softened into a smirk. She let out a huff of a chuckle as she turned back towards the sun. “Civilised dragons always think of feral folk as wild animals. But outside of society?” She paused to take a drag, blow a cloud of smoke across the sea. “If you’ve got a beast on your side, you’ve got no worries at all.” [rule] [font=verdana][size=2][color=#474340] @everburn [font=verdana][color=#5e5956]**AN: if it wasn't explicitly clear yet, my dragons go around in gijinka form most of the time so there's plenty of references to them having human forms in this entry.[/size]
THE NEW CREW.
39532094.png60445572.png
60454767.png56968195.png60453921.png50047692.png

“You can stick around, get to know Demelin, if you have to,” Arjana told the gaoler walking beside her. “I wanna get this stuff packed up,”—she patted the basket of aether cherries she held at her side—“they don’t stay fresh forever. And I think Mr. Johannes wants to check out his new digs.”

The gaoler agreed, bowing her head when Arjana tipped her hat and made off down the street, ‘Mr. Johannes’ following behind her. Demelin chuffed. They looked faintly ridiculous, walking alongside each other. Even walking as a beast-man, Arjana barely broke five feet tall whilst her companion was closer to seven. Arjana only kept her facial fins when she shifted whilst the guardian obediently following along behind her still had his horns, spines, fins and even his tail and dragon’s legs. Frankly he’d taken the idea of a beast-man form too literally.

Demelin was pleased to see the gaoler, who was currently walking across the tavern garden towards their table, had opted for a less outrageous shift. No ancient could take a truly humanoid form, of course, but he was pleased to see this one had kept her tail and wings out of the equation. She simply looked like any other gaoler walking upright, aside from the foul black slime that seemed to drip from her fur. Absolutely revolting, but far from the worst magical malady that Demelin had come across in these parts.

“You’re Demelin, I presume?” she asked as she approached the table. Demelin shook her hand with a smile when she offered it.

“I am, and I must say I’m glad you’re finally here. Arja was taking so long to find her new recruits I was convinced her smart mouth had finally gotten her killed.” He let out a little bark of laughter before continuing. “And your name is..?”

“Alda, Mister Demelin.”

Alda, wonderful, and what is it you’re going to bring to the table then, Alda?”

“Well.” She began. “I am a financial advisor by trade—an odd job for a gaoler I know, but an entrepreneur in my birth clan took a shine to me and insisted he take me on as his apprentice. Only trouble is, he was involved with some bootleggers, not unlike yourselves. When the whole scandal came to light I’m afraid his reputation was shot and mine was dragged down with it. He was arrested and I was forced to become a mercenary or go feral. But I’ve still been trying to find work in the financial sphere and word must have gotten to Arjana because she came looking for me.”

“Excellent, excellent,” Demelin cried in his best cheery voice. Warden in the Fortress, he couldn’t stand dragons who didn’t know when to shut up and Accolights like Alda were the worst of all. And, frankly, the fact Arjana had hired an accountant seemed like an insult rather than a coincidence to him. That was fine, he just wouldn’t give her the satisfaction of seeing him irritated by it.

“I’m sure you’ll be a real asset to the crew,” he continued, “It’ll be nice to have someone who can handle the books as well as they know how to fight.”

Chen then decided that was the right moment to pipe up. “Aww, come on Boss, I might look stupid but I got good money sense from back when I was a courrier ya know!” His tone was light and playful but it was clearly half a joke and half a reprimand. Demelin would have to keep an eye on that.

“Oh yes, I imagine you do,” Alda chimed, “you’ll have to help me plan out the new trade routes, Mister..?”

“Just Chen, lady, no need to get misters and misses involved,” Chen replied with a lopsided grin, “and doing some map work again sounds like fun.”

He held out a hand that Alda shook warmly with a polite ‘excellent’ before she turned to the final dragon sat at the table. “And your name, madam?”

Demelin swallowed as everyone turned to face the girl with a mess of silken white hair, through which her spiral’s horns and ears just poked through. She sat perfectly still but stiff as a bolder, like a rabbit about to make a dash for its hole. Slowly, painfully, her large glassy eyes rolled to meet Alda’s. Demelin caught her shifting back slightly.

“Here, they call me Panella,” she croaked out. Her voice was so hoarse that Demelin had the sneaking suspicion the conversation they’d had when he offered her the job was the first she’d had in months. “He,”—her wide eyes slid to Demelin—“wanted more muscle in the group. He said he wanted more mages because they are so few of you, yes.”

The other three exchanged glances. They’d been operating in black market circles for long enough to recognise an exiled feral dragon.

“Well,” Alda finally replied. “I think that makes sense. I think we’ll all sleep better knowing that everyone in the crew is capable of defending themselves.”

Yes,” Demelin leaned forward slightly as he spoke. “Yes, my thoughts exactly.”
On the ferry home, Arjana had stood staring into the sunset as she nursed her last Blacksap cigar. Alda had come from behind her, announcing her presence with a polite cough.

“Has Blacksap always hired feral dragons for protection?” She’d asked.

Arjana had narrowed her eyes. “You got a problem with them being here?”

“No, I meant nothing by it,” Alda explained, voice perfectly calm and even. “I just couldn’t help but notice both you and Demelin had hired one each.”

Arjana’s face softened into a smirk. She let out a huff of a chuckle as she turned back towards the sun.

“Civilised dragons always think of feral folk as wild animals. But outside of society?” She paused to take a drag, blow a cloud of smoke across the sea. “If you’ve got a beast on your side, you’ve got no worries at all.”

@everburn

**AN: if it wasn't explicitly clear yet, my dragons go around in gijinka form most of the time so there's plenty of references to them having human forms in this entry.
TgDWGF.png xpan
xhe/him
xfr+8
TgP7gC.png

fodderlocke
breeding hell
Aaaayy this locke is super cool! can I grab a spot on that pinglist?
Aaaayy this locke is super cool! can I grab a spot on that pinglist?
WcUWOG9.png
[center][size=6][color=#211d1c][b][font=verdana]WEEK ONE.[/size][/b][/center] [center][size=5][b]The Scout & the Botanist.[/b][/color][/center] [center] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/395321/39532094.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/604456/60445572.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/599320/59931982.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/606024/60602375.png[/img] [/center] [rule] [font=verdana][size=3][color=#474340] [size=4]“Rottin’,[/size] everything here is damn rottin’ away,” Arjana growled as she examined a blotched clump of fire flowers. “[i]‘We can gather whilst making the rounds’[/i] my backside.” She spat in Demelin’s direction, privately relishing in the way his lips pursed in disgust. “It’s the wrong time of year to go gathering in The Mire, all of this is fulla poison.” “Well, Arj,” Demelin replied with a smile and narrow eyes. “I’ll say it again, if you can find the time to get through the backlog of deliveries and then go flower picking [i]without[/i] pulling any dragons off of guard duty then I’m all ears. Unless,” he he tilted his head. “Well, you couldn’t actually be suggesting that having seven dragons on security when the whole world’s after us is [i]excessive[/i].” “Don’t gimme that bull,” Arjana snapped. “If you think people ain’t gonna notice we’re rushing these brews out then you ain’t half as smart as you think you are. I told you we had to go through Reedcleft, get a good harvest of greenstripe amaranth an’ we’d be set for the next month. But no, you give into the crew when they start kickin’ up a fuss about windstorms. An’ by the by, we barely even got seven dragons ‘cause your scout keeps slinkin’ off without checking his radio.” “He [i]is[/i] supposed to be [i]stealthy[/i], Arj. I don’t think many ambushers are going to mistake a radio for a podid.” Demelin replied, an exasperated smile on his face. He was speaking to her as if she was a feckless hatchling with no idea of how the world worked. Swine. “And about the detour we’re taking, well. The new recruits have never walked our routes before, have they? It’s no good scaring them off by taking them along the most dangerous ones straight off. We should wait until they’ve had their first round of wages, at least, make sure they know they’ll miss out if they move on.” “I think we’d save more of everyone’s time if we took ‘em along the worst of it first.” Arjana sniped. “Least then we can send the punks who ain’t up to the task to the Fortress before we invest in ‘em.” “[i]Or,[/i]” Demelin drawled, tilting his head to the side, “we could ease them in slowly, make them think his is the easiest job they’ve had in a long time. And, once they’re settled, then we show them all the less savoury parts of the operation.” “Sounds like a gamble to me.” Arjana replied. “If they ain’t willing to tough it through a storm on the first day of the job then they still ain’t gonna be on the fiftieth.” “Oh no, Arja.” Demelin said matter of factly. “It’s the most reliable way to grow our numbers. If we’re good to our recruits then they’ll be good to us, won’t leave us and go spreading information about our business to other gangs. It’s all politics, in the end.” Arjana narrowed her eyes as she turned back to the flowers, flicking out her pocket knife as she set about harvesting them. If she boiled them for long enough, most of the poison would be destroyed. But that wouldn’t stop any spirits she made with them tasting bitter as medicine. “We’re thin on the ground right now so I see the sense in it. But if we’re still cuddling up to ‘em in a few months time then we’re gonna have a fallin’ out. Understand?” Demelin smiled half-hearted and shook his head. “Of course, Arj, it’s all only temporary.” Arjana chuffed. “I’ll hold you to that.” Snake maybe, but stupid, no. She knew Demelin wouldn’t make a decision he believed would compromise the business just to frustrate her. They’d already handed in a dozen hopeful mercs who weren’t pulling their weight. They needed their current crew to stick around, they’d been reliable so far. With a flick of her wrist, Arjana severed a few branches of the dense green flower bush, revealing a pair of blood-red eyes peering out from the darkness. Swearing, Arjana jumped back, dropping the flowers, pointing her fingers at the voyeur and snapping a fireball towards them. Given the red eyes and pale coat, she’d expected a scythe kamaitachi to jump out at her but the large furry paw that appeared to swat the spell away was distinctly draconic. The figure jumped out of the bush, the sound of the leaves cracking as they brushed past them like fireworks. Arjana stepped back as a shifted tundra jumped onto the muddy path with a thump. His pink beard and bun was a revolving contrast with the mass of rust red spines and lurid green puss that sputtered out from his outstretched palm. His eyes were widened slightly, but the rest of his face was stone calm. “Don’t fire again,” he said. “This magic will make you very ill.” “Put it away, punk.” Arjana replied, baring her teeth. “This is three against one.” The tundra’s eyes darted around, quick as a damsel fly in the summer heat. Clearly he’d noticed Demelin; he might be standing behind Arjana but she’d worked with him long enough to recognise the tell tale cracking and snapping of one of his ice golems manifesting. But it wasn’t until Illie cleared his throat that the tundra spun around, flinching as he caught sight of him. He was useless at answering his radio, but Arjana had to admit the way Illie’d padded silently out from the bushes was impressive. Though he’d looked shocked moments ago, the tundra’s face soon fell flat again as he dropped his hand. “What are you all doing here?” His gaze lingered on Illie before he turned back to Arjana and Demelin. “I don’t usually see dragons off the main path.” His tone was conversational, almost friendly in a twisted sort of way. Arjana pursed her lips. “What makes you think you got any room to negotiate when you got three dragons with sights on you?” “Oh.” He sounded more indifferent than confused. “I know my magic would putrefy you before you could get me. But I put it away because I thought we were stopping all that.” Arjana narrowed her eyes, snorting out a breath as she took aim again. “What, we let our guard down right after you threaten to kill us? If you wanna talk, then we’re gonna have to seal you first.” “If that means you’ll stop pointing magic at me then yes, that’s fine,” he replied. “I only wanted to ask you some questions.” “Just some advice, partner,” Demelin called as he walked back to the caravan. “Watching people go about their lives from a bush doesn’t often endear them to the idea of having a tête-à-tête with you.” “If someone had done that to me,” Illie finally chimed in. “I would have clapped ‘em round the jaw without thinkin’.” He’d gone on two runs with them already but Arjana still found it strange to hear such a rough, boyish voice from a guardian from the Thousand Currents. The tundra had turned around as soon as Illie had started talking, eyes once again open a little too wide in curiosity. “That’s good. That it wasn’t you I was watching, I mean. I have my fur enchanted, as soon as someone touches it they melt. I would have disintegrated you.” Illie fixed him with a confused and vaguely disgusted look on his face before his face broke into a tentative smile. “So you don’t take any prisoners, ey?” “You can’t living in the Mire.” Milo replied. “If I hadn’t learnt how to cloak myself in magic then I would have been eaten by a wartoad by now.” “Why the hell are you livin’ in a place like this?” Arjana asked, finally lowering her hand as Demelin approached the tundra with a pair of magic repressing bracelets. “You musta crossed a real piece of work if this is your idea of a good hideout.” Milo turned to face her, brows furrowed slightly as though Arjna’s question was a particularly difficult riddle. “No, I came here to study the plants. They’re interesting, they don’t look mutated like other plants that absorb plague magic but they never get sick and you can make them into poisons.” “A [i]botanist[/i].” Demelin drawled, snapping the bracelets onto the tundra’s wrists—he was holding his arms out rather obligingly. “That’s just like you Arj, picking a fight with a harmless civi just because they started you.” “What was I suppose’ to do, offer him tea and biscuits?” Arjana spat. “‘Dunno how you spent all those years thievin’ without gettin’ caught when you got no survival instinct.” “I don’t mind.” The tundra interrupted, voice still flat. “You didn’t hurt me anyway. Will you tell me what you’re all doing in the Mire now?” “Oi, what’s yer name mate?” Illie asked, moving to stand beside the tundra. “Oh, Milo.” His eyes widened as he turned to face Illie again. Arjana rolled her eyes. What was it about guardians that had every tundra falling over their feet to cootch up to them? “Well I’m Illie,” the guardian replied, slapping a hand on Milo’s shoulder. “The fae’s Arjana and the ‘dancer’s Demelin. They’re the bosses of Blacksap and I’m their scout. We’re on our way to deliver a big old shipment of spirits.” “Spirits?” Milo’s mouth actually dropped open a fraction. “I didn’t realise you were necromancers.” Demelin let out a bark of laughter, patting Milo on his other shoulder. “No, no, Milo. We sell alcohol to those who find it hard to get hold of it by their own means, if you catch my meaning.” “Oh, that’s interesting.” Milo seemed to perk up, voice going higher with intrigue. “I’ve been experimenting with alcohol. It’s odd, isn’t it. That people drink something so harmful to their bodies because they like how it makes them feel. I want to make mead with the plants here. I might be able to make an alcohol that doesn’t make people sick.” Arjana kissed her teeth, looking Milo up and down with narrowed eyes. They were still so low on numbers, it couldn’t hurt to take a gamble. “Say, kid. Wha’dya say to coming to Dragonhome with us. I wanna hear more about this Mire mead of yours.” Milo pursued his lips, thoughtful. “How long would it take?” “A day there and three back, providin’ the golem don’t choke on us.” She jerked her thumb at the caravan and the rusting horse golem that pulled it. Next dragon they hired had better be a mechanic, that thing was smoking even more than usual. “Can I go home and get my plants before we go?” Milo asked. “‘Course, kid. And bring yer brewin’ gear too, fat lot of good it’ll be if you tell me how to distill yer plants but we don’t got anythin’ to do it with. Me and Demelin’ll wait here with the ‘van. Illie’ll go with you, make sure you find us again.” “Yes. That’s great.” Milo replied, fixing Illie with his widened eyes. Illie gave him a bashful grin back. “Good. Get going, then.” Arjana turned back to the caravan, pulling aside the woven curtains and jumping inside when she reached the back. She pulled out the radio out of it’s sack-lined chest, watching Demelin out of the corner of her eye as he sauntered up to the entrance. “Smitten already, apparently.” He murmured. Arjana lazily turned to face him and was greeted by the sight of him pointing to Milo and Illie. They were walking down the road with their backs to the caravan, engrossed in conversation. “Good for them,” Arjana replied flatly, turning her attention back to the dials she was adjusting. If Milo wanted to play star-crossed lovers with Illie then maybe he’d stick around even if he didn’t want to commit to brewing for her. Demelin smirked, cocked a brow in approval as Arjana pulled the mic up to her mouth. “Front and rear, back to me and Dem. We’re waiting on a new recruit.” [rule] [center][size=4][b]WEEK ONE, RECRUITMENT PHASE.[/b][/size] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=59931982]Illie[/url] the scout joined Demelin's party. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=dragon&id=220972&did=60602375]Milo[/url] the botanist joined Arjana's party.[/center] [center][size=4][b]DRAMA PHASE ONE.[/b][/size] Rolled a three: [i]a romance.[/i] Illie & Milo have become romantic partners. [/center] [center][size=4][b]PROFITS.[/b][/size] 14kt [b]>>>[/b] 60kt. Made approximately 46kt.[/center] [rule] [size=2]@everburn, @kyanitegem [font=verdana][color=#5e5956]**AN: apologies it took me so long to update, this piece ended up being 2k words long because i got caught up writing milo. he's hella fun to write. hopefully i'll have week one's second drama phase up in the next few days![/size]
WEEK ONE.
The Scout & the Botanist.
39532094.png60445572.png59931982.png60602375.png

“Rottin’, everything here is damn rottin’ away,” Arjana growled as she examined a blotched clump of fire flowers. “‘We can gather whilst making the rounds’ my backside.” She spat in Demelin’s direction, privately relishing in the way his lips pursed in disgust. “It’s the wrong time of year to go gathering in The Mire, all of this is fulla poison.”

“Well, Arj,” Demelin replied with a smile and narrow eyes. “I’ll say it again, if you can find the time to get through the backlog of deliveries and then go flower picking without pulling any dragons off of guard duty then I’m all ears. Unless,” he he tilted his head. “Well, you couldn’t actually be suggesting that having seven dragons on security when the whole world’s after us is excessive.”

“Don’t gimme that bull,” Arjana snapped. “If you think people ain’t gonna notice we’re rushing these brews out then you ain’t half as smart as you think you are. I told you we had to go through Reedcleft, get a good harvest of greenstripe amaranth an’ we’d be set for the next month. But no, you give into the crew when they start kickin’ up a fuss about windstorms. An’ by the by, we barely even got seven dragons ‘cause your scout keeps slinkin’ off without checking his radio.”

“He is supposed to be stealthy, Arj. I don’t think many ambushers are going to mistake a radio for a podid.” Demelin replied, an exasperated smile on his face. He was speaking to her as if she was a feckless hatchling with no idea of how the world worked. Swine. “And about the detour we’re taking, well. The new recruits have never walked our routes before, have they? It’s no good scaring them off by taking them along the most dangerous ones straight off. We should wait until they’ve had their first round of wages, at least, make sure they know they’ll miss out if they move on.”

“I think we’d save more of everyone’s time if we took ‘em along the worst of it first.” Arjana sniped. “Least then we can send the punks who ain’t up to the task to the Fortress before we invest in ‘em.”

Or,” Demelin drawled, tilting his head to the side, “we could ease them in slowly, make them think his is the easiest job they’ve had in a long time. And, once they’re settled, then we show them all the less savoury parts of the operation.”

“Sounds like a gamble to me.” Arjana replied. “If they ain’t willing to tough it through a storm on the first day of the job then they still ain’t gonna be on the fiftieth.”

“Oh no, Arja.” Demelin said matter of factly. “It’s the most reliable way to grow our numbers. If we’re good to our recruits then they’ll be good to us, won’t leave us and go spreading information about our business to other gangs. It’s all politics, in the end.”

Arjana narrowed her eyes as she turned back to the flowers, flicking out her pocket knife as she set about harvesting them. If she boiled them for long enough, most of the poison would be destroyed. But that wouldn’t stop any spirits she made with them tasting bitter as medicine. “We’re thin on the ground right now so I see the sense in it. But if we’re still cuddling up to ‘em in a few months time then we’re gonna have a fallin’ out. Understand?”

Demelin smiled half-hearted and shook his head. “Of course, Arj, it’s all only temporary.”

Arjana chuffed. “I’ll hold you to that.” Snake maybe, but stupid, no. She knew Demelin wouldn’t make a decision he believed would compromise the business just to frustrate her. They’d already handed in a dozen hopeful mercs who weren’t pulling their weight. They needed their current crew to stick around, they’d been reliable so far.

With a flick of her wrist, Arjana severed a few branches of the dense green flower bush, revealing a pair of blood-red eyes peering out from the darkness.

Swearing, Arjana jumped back, dropping the flowers, pointing her fingers at the voyeur and snapping a fireball towards them. Given the red eyes and pale coat, she’d expected a scythe kamaitachi to jump out at her but the large furry paw that appeared to swat the spell away was distinctly draconic.

The figure jumped out of the bush, the sound of the leaves cracking as they brushed past them like fireworks. Arjana stepped back as a shifted tundra jumped onto the muddy path with a thump. His pink beard and bun was a revolving contrast with the mass of rust red spines and lurid green puss that sputtered out from his outstretched palm. His eyes were widened slightly, but the rest of his face was stone calm.

“Don’t fire again,” he said. “This magic will make you very ill.”

“Put it away, punk.” Arjana replied, baring her teeth. “This is three against one.”

The tundra’s eyes darted around, quick as a damsel fly in the summer heat. Clearly he’d noticed Demelin; he might be standing behind Arjana but she’d worked with him long enough to recognise the tell tale cracking and snapping of one of his ice golems manifesting. But it wasn’t until Illie cleared his throat that the tundra spun around, flinching as he caught sight of him. He was useless at answering his radio, but Arjana had to admit the way Illie’d padded silently out from the bushes was impressive.

Though he’d looked shocked moments ago, the tundra’s face soon fell flat again as he dropped his hand. “What are you all doing here?” His gaze lingered on Illie before he turned back to Arjana and Demelin. “I don’t usually see dragons off the main path.” His tone was conversational, almost friendly in a twisted sort of way. Arjana pursed her lips.

“What makes you think you got any room to negotiate when you got three dragons with sights on you?”

“Oh.” He sounded more indifferent than confused. “I know my magic would putrefy you before you could get me. But I put it away because I thought we were stopping all that.”

Arjana narrowed her eyes, snorting out a breath as she took aim again. “What, we let our guard down right after you threaten to kill us? If you wanna talk, then we’re gonna have to seal you first.”

“If that means you’ll stop pointing magic at me then yes, that’s fine,” he replied. “I only wanted to ask you some questions.”

“Just some advice, partner,” Demelin called as he walked back to the caravan. “Watching people go about their lives from a bush doesn’t often endear them to the idea of having a tête-à-tête with you.”

“If someone had done that to me,” Illie finally chimed in. “I would have clapped ‘em round the jaw without thinkin’.” He’d gone on two runs with them already but Arjana still found it strange to hear such a rough, boyish voice from a guardian from the Thousand Currents.

The tundra had turned around as soon as Illie had started talking, eyes once again open a little too wide in curiosity. “That’s good. That it wasn’t you I was watching, I mean. I have my fur enchanted, as soon as someone touches it they melt. I would have disintegrated you.”

Illie fixed him with a confused and vaguely disgusted look on his face before his face broke into a tentative smile. “So you don’t take any prisoners, ey?”

“You can’t living in the Mire.” Milo replied. “If I hadn’t learnt how to cloak myself in magic then I would have been eaten by a wartoad by now.”

“Why the hell are you livin’ in a place like this?” Arjana asked, finally lowering her hand as Demelin approached the tundra with a pair of magic repressing bracelets. “You musta crossed a real piece of work if this is your idea of a good hideout.”

Milo turned to face her, brows furrowed slightly as though Arjna’s question was a particularly difficult riddle. “No, I came here to study the plants. They’re interesting, they don’t look mutated like other plants that absorb plague magic but they never get sick and you can make them into poisons.”

“A botanist.” Demelin drawled, snapping the bracelets onto the tundra’s wrists—he was holding his arms out rather obligingly. “That’s just like you Arj, picking a fight with a harmless civi just because they started you.”

“What was I suppose’ to do, offer him tea and biscuits?” Arjana spat. “‘Dunno how you spent all those years thievin’ without gettin’ caught when you got no survival instinct.”

“I don’t mind.” The tundra interrupted, voice still flat. “You didn’t hurt me anyway. Will you tell me what you’re all doing in the Mire now?”

“Oi, what’s yer name mate?” Illie asked, moving to stand beside the tundra.

“Oh, Milo.” His eyes widened as he turned to face Illie again. Arjana rolled her eyes. What was it about guardians that had every tundra falling over their feet to cootch up to them?

“Well I’m Illie,” the guardian replied, slapping a hand on Milo’s shoulder. “The fae’s Arjana and the ‘dancer’s Demelin. They’re the bosses of Blacksap and I’m their scout. We’re on our way to deliver a big old shipment of spirits.”

“Spirits?” Milo’s mouth actually dropped open a fraction. “I didn’t realise you were necromancers.”

Demelin let out a bark of laughter, patting Milo on his other shoulder. “No, no, Milo. We sell alcohol to those who find it hard to get hold of it by their own means, if you catch my meaning.”

“Oh, that’s interesting.” Milo seemed to perk up, voice going higher with intrigue. “I’ve been experimenting with alcohol. It’s odd, isn’t it. That people drink something so harmful to their bodies because they like how it makes them feel. I want to make mead with the plants here. I might be able to make an alcohol that doesn’t make people sick.”

Arjana kissed her teeth, looking Milo up and down with narrowed eyes. They were still so low on numbers, it couldn’t hurt to take a gamble. “Say, kid. Wha’dya say to coming to Dragonhome with us. I wanna hear more about this Mire mead of yours.”
Milo pursued his lips, thoughtful. “How long would it take?”

“A day there and three back, providin’ the golem don’t choke on us.” She jerked her thumb at the caravan and the rusting horse golem that pulled it. Next dragon they hired had better be a mechanic, that thing was smoking even more than usual.

“Can I go home and get my plants before we go?” Milo asked.

“‘Course, kid. And bring yer brewin’ gear too, fat lot of good it’ll be if you tell me how to distill yer plants but we don’t got anythin’ to do it with. Me and Demelin’ll wait here with the ‘van. Illie’ll go with you, make sure you find us again.”

“Yes. That’s great.” Milo replied, fixing Illie with his widened eyes. Illie gave him a bashful grin back.

“Good. Get going, then.” Arjana turned back to the caravan, pulling aside the woven curtains and jumping inside when she reached the back. She pulled out the radio out of it’s sack-lined chest, watching Demelin out of the corner of her eye as he sauntered up to the entrance.

“Smitten already, apparently.” He murmured. Arjana lazily turned to face him and was greeted by the sight of him pointing to Milo and Illie. They were walking down the road with their backs to the caravan, engrossed in conversation.

“Good for them,” Arjana replied flatly, turning her attention back to the dials she was adjusting. If Milo wanted to play star-crossed lovers with Illie then maybe he’d stick around even if he didn’t want to commit to brewing for her.

Demelin smirked, cocked a brow in approval as Arjana pulled the mic up to her mouth.

“Front and rear, back to me and Dem. We’re waiting on a new recruit.”

WEEK ONE, RECRUITMENT PHASE.
Illie the scout joined Demelin's party. Milo the botanist joined Arjana's party.
DRAMA PHASE ONE.
Rolled a three: a romance. Illie & Milo have become romantic partners.
PROFITS.
14kt >>> 60kt.
Made approximately 46kt.

@everburn, @kyanitegem

**AN: apologies it took me so long to update, this piece ended up being 2k words long because i got caught up writing milo. he's hella fun to write. hopefully i'll have week one's second drama phase up in the next few days!
TgDWGF.png xpan
xhe/him
xfr+8
TgP7gC.png

fodderlocke
breeding hell
Oooh this is super cool! Can you add me to the ping list?
Oooh this is super cool! Can you add me to the ping list?
@meridok

absolutely, thanks for checking it out!
@meridok

absolutely, thanks for checking it out!
TgDWGF.png xpan
xhe/him
xfr+8
TgP7gC.png

fodderlocke
breeding hell
1 2