Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 78 79
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/56#post_38345939]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 103: A Look to the Past[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49062279] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/490623/49062279_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49769280] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/497693/49769280_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49730873] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/497309/49730873_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] The Copper Lotus was far more subdued than usual. News of the tragedy had passed through the clan quickly. That morning, Fenn had hosted a ceremony to release the spirits of the hatchlings to into the wind. She had assured the clan that it was an isolated incident, exacted by a dragon with a grudge against their mother, and that there was no reason to be afraid. Kipling wasn't so sure, however. He had seen the uneasy twitch of Fenn's frills as she spoke. There was more she wasn't letting on. Most of the clan had returned indoors after the ceremony. The rain had only further driven everyone indoors. Some dragons had grumbled it was too early in the year for rain, Wavecrest was ages away. Kipling sat in silence with Rori and Luster. He was sure his friends also felt the heaviness at the thought of the jokes they had cracked just the day before. It appeared Sullene had been right, and he had been taken his destiny too lightly. "So, what are we going to do?" Rori asked, looking to Kipling for direction. "You can't be serious." Luster snorted, but he too lacked the confident posture he usually held. "I don't know. We don't have much to go on. We're at a dead end." Kipling shrugged. "But we have to do [i]something[/i]." The three sat in silence for a time, staring at their empty glasses on the wooden table. "So, let's look at what we have." Rori began again. "We know danger is coming, danger no one else know about. We know we need help from outside, and we know that there once existed moon warriors, and that they are somehow connected to all of this." "But moon warriors are extinct." Luster reminded her. "Yes, but maybe our answer is in shadow?" Rori sighed. "I don't know." "It's all we've got." Kipling pointed out. "What? Are you suggesting we haul ourselves all the way across Sornieth for something that doesn't exist anymore? You guys are crazy." Luster shook his head. "What if we need to think outside the box." Kipling asked. "I mean, the story Merry told during the Jamboree, he told me no one knew what happened to Prince Ty and Eclipse. Maybe there are answers out there somewhere. What if they are still out there, wandering Sornieth, lost? I mean, if there was that much prejudice against moon warriors, they wouldn't exactly advertise it, would they?" "What are you saying?" Rori perked up. "I'm saying that Sacredscream said Eclipse was executed, but what if Merry's side of the story was right and she escaped? What if the lynching was just a lie told to discourage any future moon warriors." Kipling explained. "It's a long shot, but it's a starting point." "So, how do you expect we are going to find out the truth? This was ages ago." Luster asked. "I mean, I'm all in, I'm just trying to be the realist here." "Right, because everything else about you is so real." Rori giggled. "There must be answers somewhere." Kipling insisted. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48280808] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/482809/48280808_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "I'm sorry, I couldn't help but overhear-" A coatl interrupted. His face was shrouded and ghostly hands reached out from his shoulderblades. "You're looking for moon warriors?" If Kipling hadn't recognized him as Voiken, he was sure he would have found this sudden appearance terrifying. As it were, Voiken was one of the few dragons of Windkeep Tower he didn't know very well. He had heard about him from his twin sister, Veilwing, but the siblings had apparently fallen out over something, splitting their business. Voiken claimed to see the past; Veilwing claimed to see the future. "Do you know anything about moon warriors?" Kipling asked excitedly. "Not much, but I can see you are connected to them." Voiken explained. "It's fuzzy, like it's in the past, but not yet a part of your past." "What does that mean?" Kipling asked. "Look, you're trying to save the clan right? Something like that? I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but overhear your conversation and-" Voiken trailed off, as though unable to find the words. Tears were beginning to form in his eyes. "The hatchlings- they were my grandchildren. If a greater danger is coming you have to prevent more tragedies like these." Kipling handed the coatl a napkin as tears began to drip from behind his veil. "My brother-in-law, Quinlann, has been doing some experimentation around time travel. I don't know how successful he has been, we haven't spoken in over two years, but if you need something in the past, it might be your answer." Voiken sniffed. "Sorry, it's been an emotional day." "Do you want us to somehow save your grandchildren in the process? What do you want out of this?' Luster asked. Rori and Kiplin stared at him wide-eyed. "What? Most things don't come without a price! Especially not with his wife." "Vaughan doesn't know I'm doing this. She wants nothing to do with my sister or her husband." Voiken reassured. "She'd offer to bring them back, of course, but I know better than anyone that the past shouldn't change unless it can be helped. I'm only offering this to you because I can see traces of you in the past, which means something in history is dependent on you going back." "So you want us to find Quinnlan? He'll really help us to time travel?" Kipling asked. "Oh Windsinger no." Voiken rolled his eyes. "Quinnlan is far more sensible than that. His time travel practices are purely theoretical, he is far too cautious to [i]actually[/i] go back in time. No, if you want to do this you are going to have to find some way to do this without him knowing." "You mean stealing?" Rori balked. "No thank you." "Oh come on, what's wrong with a bit of adventure?" Luster asked, suddenly interested. "Where is this time travel stuff?" "Veilwing and Quinnlan have a series of underground tunnels and chambers that make up their secret workshops. There is an entrance at the cliffs, just look for a rock with a fancy V carved into it, and you'll be at the entrance." Voiken explained. "And as for the stealing, sometimes you cannot remain entirely morally sound when it comes to doing to right thing. I know it sounds backwards, but trust me on this one." "I don't know..." Rori's gaze darted around the room in a frenzy. "Come on Rori, I don't like it any more than you do, but what choice do we have? It's the only lead we've got and I am not letting anyone else get hurt in this clan. Do you want more days like today? Days where families are mourning their children and the entire clan is wondering how any dragon can do such a thing? This is only the beginning of something, I can feel it in my bones. I'm not going to stand by and let my family get hurt!" "I'm in. How many dragons can say they actually went back in time?" Luster smirked. "It sounds like the adventure of a lifetime and you couldn't keep me out if you tried." "If it's for the clan, I guess we'll have to do it then." Rori conceded. Her face broke out into a smile. "Besides, I'm not letting you go without me." "There it is then." Kipling nodded, turning to Voiken. "We'll do it. What can we do to thank you?" "No thanks needed. Just don't let anyone else die." Voiken said. "Oh well, no pressure then." Kipling laughed nervously. "We'll do our best." ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/58#post_38422172]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11 @Tirtouga678[/center] ----- You know, when I started this chapter, I hadn't planned on bringing in Voiken but the trio just weren't reaching the whole time travel conclusion on their own, and any excuse to bring in dragons who don't usually make an appearance for a chapter or two is very satisfying. If I had had time to write yesterday, I was planning on writing a chapter from the POV of the clan familiars but unfortunately yesterday was a pretty busy day.

Chapter 103: A Look to the Past

49062279_350.png

49769280_350.png

49730873_350.png

The Copper Lotus was far more subdued than usual. News of the tragedy had passed through the clan quickly. That morning, Fenn had hosted a ceremony to release the spirits of the hatchlings to into the wind. She had assured the clan that it was an isolated incident, exacted by a dragon with a grudge against their mother, and that there was no reason to be afraid. Kipling wasn't so sure, however. He had seen the uneasy twitch of Fenn's frills as she spoke. There was more she wasn't letting on.

Most of the clan had returned indoors after the ceremony. The rain had only further driven everyone indoors. Some dragons had grumbled it was too early in the year for rain, Wavecrest was ages away.

Kipling sat in silence with Rori and Luster. He was sure his friends also felt the heaviness at the thought of the jokes they had cracked just the day before. It appeared Sullene had been right, and he had been taken his destiny too lightly.

"So, what are we going to do?" Rori asked, looking to Kipling for direction.

"You can't be serious." Luster snorted, but he too lacked the confident posture he usually held.

"I don't know. We don't have much to go on. We're at a dead end." Kipling shrugged. "But we have to do something."

The three sat in silence for a time, staring at their empty glasses on the wooden table.

"So, let's look at what we have." Rori began again. "We know danger is coming, danger no one else know about. We know we need help from outside, and we know that there once existed moon warriors, and that they are somehow connected to all of this."

"But moon warriors are extinct." Luster reminded her.

"Yes, but maybe our answer is in shadow?" Rori sighed. "I don't know."

"It's all we've got." Kipling pointed out.

"What? Are you suggesting we haul ourselves all the way across Sornieth for something that doesn't exist anymore? You guys are crazy." Luster shook his head.

"What if we need to think outside the box." Kipling asked. "I mean, the story Merry told during the Jamboree, he told me no one knew what happened to Prince Ty and Eclipse. Maybe there are answers out there somewhere. What if they are still out there, wandering Sornieth, lost? I mean, if there was that much prejudice against moon warriors, they wouldn't exactly advertise it, would they?"

"What are you saying?" Rori perked up.

"I'm saying that Sacredscream said Eclipse was executed, but what if Merry's side of the story was right and she escaped? What if the lynching was just a lie told to discourage any future moon warriors." Kipling explained. "It's a long shot, but it's a starting point."

"So, how do you expect we are going to find out the truth? This was ages ago." Luster asked. "I mean, I'm all in, I'm just trying to be the realist here."

"Right, because everything else about you is so real." Rori giggled.

"There must be answers somewhere." Kipling insisted.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help but overhear-" A coatl interrupted. His face was shrouded and ghostly hands reached out from his shoulderblades. "You're looking for moon warriors?"

If Kipling hadn't recognized him as Voiken, he was sure he would have found this sudden appearance terrifying. As it were, Voiken was one of the few dragons of Windkeep Tower he didn't know very well. He had heard about him from his twin sister, Veilwing, but the siblings had apparently fallen out over something, splitting their business. Voiken claimed to see the past; Veilwing claimed to see the future.

"Do you know anything about moon warriors?" Kipling asked excitedly.

"Not much, but I can see you are connected to them." Voiken explained. "It's fuzzy, like it's in the past, but not yet a part of your past."

"What does that mean?" Kipling asked.

"Look, you're trying to save the clan right? Something like that? I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but overhear your conversation and-" Voiken trailed off, as though unable to find the words. Tears were beginning to form in his eyes. "The hatchlings- they were my grandchildren. If a greater danger is coming you have to prevent more tragedies like these."

Kipling handed the coatl a napkin as tears began to drip from behind his veil.

"My brother-in-law, Quinlann, has been doing some experimentation around time travel. I don't know how successful he has been, we haven't spoken in over two years, but if you need something in the past, it might be your answer." Voiken sniffed. "Sorry, it's been an emotional day."

"Do you want us to somehow save your grandchildren in the process? What do you want out of this?' Luster asked. Rori and Kiplin stared at him wide-eyed. "What? Most things don't come without a price! Especially not with his wife."

"Vaughan doesn't know I'm doing this. She wants nothing to do with my sister or her husband." Voiken reassured. "She'd offer to bring them back, of course, but I know better than anyone that the past shouldn't change unless it can be helped. I'm only offering this to you because I can see traces of you in the past, which means something in history is dependent on you going back."

"So you want us to find Quinnlan? He'll really help us to time travel?" Kipling asked.

"Oh Windsinger no." Voiken rolled his eyes. "Quinnlan is far more sensible than that. His time travel practices are purely theoretical, he is far too cautious to actually go back in time. No, if you want to do this you are going to have to find some way to do this without him knowing."

"You mean stealing?" Rori balked. "No thank you."

"Oh come on, what's wrong with a bit of adventure?" Luster asked, suddenly interested. "Where is this time travel stuff?"

"Veilwing and Quinnlan have a series of underground tunnels and chambers that make up their secret workshops. There is an entrance at the cliffs, just look for a rock with a fancy V carved into it, and you'll be at the entrance." Voiken explained. "And as for the stealing, sometimes you cannot remain entirely morally sound when it comes to doing to right thing. I know it sounds backwards, but trust me on this one."

"I don't know..." Rori's gaze darted around the room in a frenzy.

"Come on Rori, I don't like it any more than you do, but what choice do we have? It's the only lead we've got and I am not letting anyone else get hurt in this clan. Do you want more days like today? Days where families are mourning their children and the entire clan is wondering how any dragon can do such a thing? This is only the beginning of something, I can feel it in my bones. I'm not going to stand by and let my family get hurt!"

"I'm in. How many dragons can say they actually went back in time?" Luster smirked. "It sounds like the adventure of a lifetime and you couldn't keep me out if you tried."

"If it's for the clan, I guess we'll have to do it then." Rori conceded. Her face broke out into a smile. "Besides, I'm not letting you go without me."

"There it is then." Kipling nodded, turning to Voiken. "We'll do it. What can we do to thank you?"

"No thanks needed. Just don't let anyone else die." Voiken said.

"Oh well, no pressure then." Kipling laughed nervously. "We'll do our best."

You know, when I started this chapter, I hadn't planned on bringing in Voiken but the trio just weren't reaching the whole time travel conclusion on their own, and any excuse to bring in dragons who don't usually make an appearance for a chapter or two is very satisfying.

If I had had time to write yesterday, I was planning on writing a chapter from the POV of the clan familiars but unfortunately yesterday was a pretty busy day.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall I had more free time today, so I dug into Voiken's family history and fell down quiiiiite the rabbit hole. xDD Wow. With respect to the poor guy, that's really quite juicy! Now I'm really excited to see how things will play out!

Also, Voiken's outfit is amazing. I can see how a stranger would be frightened by him -- at least until he opens his mouth and starts talking. xD
@Petall I had more free time today, so I dug into Voiken's family history and fell down quiiiiite the rabbit hole. xDD Wow. With respect to the poor guy, that's really quite juicy! Now I'm really excited to see how things will play out!

Also, Voiken's outfit is amazing. I can see how a stranger would be frightened by him -- at least until he opens his mouth and starts talking. xD
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist I must admit I have quite the soft spot for Voiken's family line, as you no doubt have you discovered (Did you did far enough back to discover he is the grandchild of Tosha and Thornspine?) Even with this arc having main characters completely separated from the Amberlyn line, I can't help but incorporate the family lore into the story [emoji=coatl laughing] Honestly, he came along at the perfect time. I was just thinking "what am I going to do with this NOTN apparel" and he and his sister hatched and fit the two easiest to get sets.
@Disillusionist

I must admit I have quite the soft spot for Voiken's family line, as you no doubt have you discovered (Did you did far enough back to discover he is the grandchild of Tosha and Thornspine?) Even with this arc having main characters completely separated from the Amberlyn line, I can't help but incorporate the family lore into the story

Honestly, he came along at the perfect time. I was just thinking "what am I going to do with this NOTN apparel" and he and his sister hatched and fit the two easiest to get sets.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall :o No, I only concentrated on his kids and grandkids. Took a look at his parents just now and had to lol at Unsophylax's name. Ooh, and now I see why Veilwing and Vaughan don't get along. And I think I also see why you're really invested in this family -- lots of fun characters and ideas to play with!
@Petall :o No, I only concentrated on his kids and grandkids. Took a look at his parents just now and had to lol at Unsophylax's name. Ooh, and now I see why Veilwing and Vaughan don't get along. And I think I also see why you're really invested in this family -- lots of fun characters and ideas to play with!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/58#post_38398082]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 104: Triple Dog Dare[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49062279] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/490623/49062279_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49769280] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/497693/49769280_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49730873] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/497309/49730873_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] The wind blew unusually cold across the cliffs. Kipling couldn't help but wonder if it was an omen of some sort. Unfortunately, he didn't possess the gift Sullene did, and he wasn't sure it would be helpful. He supposed, at the very least, it might tell him whether he was doing the right thing. "Come on slowpokes!" Luster exclaimed, shouting against the wind. The mirror stood several paces ahead and seemed unperturbed about the moral implications of today's adventure. "Hey, do you need some help?" Rori asked, coming up beside Kipling and shielding him from the wind with her wings. "Thanks." Kipling gasped. He couldn't help but notice a flash of sympathy in her eyes. He wondered what she was thinking. For all her protests in the Copper Lotus, she now seemed rock-solid in her determination to see this task through to the end. "Do you see anything?" She called out to Luster. The mirror was now darting around looking at various rocks. Finding the 'V' was proving to be more difficult than initially thought, as it turned out many of the rocks on top of the cliffs had various symbols and shapes carved into them, presumably by various travelers long before Windkeep Tower was established. "Maybe we should turn around and come back when the weather's better." Kipling suggested, stomach turning. Now that he was closer to committing the deed, stealing from a clanmate and friend seemed like the last thing he wanted to do. "Kipling, this is important." Rori reminded him softly. "If we had any other choice, we'd find another way." Kipling nodded. She was right, he knew she was. He just wished he could summon the courage and certainty he had talking to Voiken. "Hey, guys! I found the rock!" Luster called out. Kipling and Rori rushed forward and sure enough, carved into a rock the size of Kipling, was a V. "So, what do we do now?" Rori asked. "Usually these sorts of entrances have some sort of mechanism that needs to be triggered somehow." Luster suggested "[i]Which is a totally normal thing to know by the way[/i]." He added, darting suspicious glares at his friends. "We weren't asking." Rori shrugged. "Yeah, everyone knows how to get into all sort of secret lairs. No biggie." Kipling grinned. Luster rolled his eyes and began to examine the rock. After several minutes, it became clear finding the rock may be the easiest part of this heist. "Why didn't we ask Voiken the code?" Rori huffed. "Why would he know? Veilwing and Voiken haven't been on good terms for years." Kipling reminded them. "Veilwing and Quinnlan wouldn't want Voiken and Vaughan getting their hands on their experiments." "This is no good." Luster sniffed. "We should go back and figure out some sort of a plan, come back tomorrow." "There must be some way in." Kipling didn't want to give himself an opportunity to back out. He perched himself on top of the rock, his tail curling into a swirl making its way around the 'V'. Suddenly there was a click, a flash of light, and Kipling disappeared. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] It was dark. Kipling wished he could see where he was. He tried to feel his way around his surroundings, and found that it seemed to be made of cold dirt and stone. Had he found the entrance to Quinnlan's secret workshop. Suddenly there were one more flash of light, followed by another, and Kipling was in darkness again. "Oof." Luster's voice grumbled. "Rori, I think you're standing on my tail." "Sorry-" Rori's voice rang. Kipling let out a squeak as she bumped into him. "I'm so sorry! Hold on!" Rori apologized and fell silent. Just then, three small balls of light appeared and took their places above the three dragons. It was a rather small tunnel for three dragons to fit easily in, especially with a fully grown imperial. "Anyone know where the exit is?" Kipling asked. his friends shook their heads. "Alright, let's see where this tunnel goes." The three walked in relative silence, Kipling leading and Luster taking up the rear. Their path sloped downwards, deeper and deeper into the earth. The tunnel was too narrow and the air was too still to fly well, so they trudged along on their paws. "Be careful with that tail." Luster hissed at Rori. "Shhh, I hear voices!" Kipling shot back. He slowed to a halt and strained his ears. "I don't hear-" Luster began. Rori hushed him. Sure enough, voices could be heard talking a short distance away. "We must be getting close." Kipling whispered. "Let's be very careful." The trio crept forwards, trying to keep as out of sight as possible. Suddenly, the tunnel widened and they found themselves in a large chamber. It was lit by glowing orbs of light in various colours, much like the ones Rori had summoned. Scattered around the rooms were various tables, concoctions and machinery. The tables were covered in books, scrolls, ink bottles and quills, and despite the fact the chamber seemed rather disorganized, it seemed to have its own system to it. The three dragons were so busy looking around they almost failed to notice that they were not alone. Standing at a table and looking over a page of notes were two dragons, a coatl and a nocturne. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48280809] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/482809/48280809_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48678929] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/486790/48678929_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "See, I told you someone was coming." They could hear Veilwing say faintly from across the room. Quinnlan said nothing. He flew forwards, eyeing the three dragons not with displeasure, but instead curiosity. "Now, what might you three be doing here?" ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/58#post_38437658]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11 @Tirtouga678[/center] ----- As of today I am officially done my first semester of university and am on summer break, so expect a lot of updates in the next little while! Flight Rising is my new main focus for free time, now that I don't have homework until September!

Chapter 104: Triple Dog Dare

49062279_350.png

49769280_350.png

49730873_350.png

The wind blew unusually cold across the cliffs. Kipling couldn't help but wonder if it was an omen of some sort. Unfortunately, he didn't possess the gift Sullene did, and he wasn't sure it would be helpful. He supposed, at the very least, it might tell him whether he was doing the right thing.

"Come on slowpokes!" Luster exclaimed, shouting against the wind. The mirror stood several paces ahead and seemed unperturbed about the moral implications of today's adventure.

"Hey, do you need some help?" Rori asked, coming up beside Kipling and shielding him from the wind with her wings.

"Thanks." Kipling gasped. He couldn't help but notice a flash of sympathy in her eyes. He wondered what she was thinking. For all her protests in the Copper Lotus, she now seemed rock-solid in her determination to see this task through to the end.

"Do you see anything?" She called out to Luster. The mirror was now darting around looking at various rocks. Finding the 'V' was proving to be more difficult than initially thought, as it turned out many of the rocks on top of the cliffs had various symbols and shapes carved into them, presumably by various travelers long before Windkeep Tower was established.

"Maybe we should turn around and come back when the weather's better." Kipling suggested, stomach turning. Now that he was closer to committing the deed, stealing from a clanmate and friend seemed like the last thing he wanted to do.

"Kipling, this is important." Rori reminded him softly. "If we had any other choice, we'd find another way."

Kipling nodded. She was right, he knew she was. He just wished he could summon the courage and certainty he had talking to Voiken.

"Hey, guys! I found the rock!" Luster called out.

Kipling and Rori rushed forward and sure enough, carved into a rock the size of Kipling, was a V.

"So, what do we do now?" Rori asked.

"Usually these sorts of entrances have some sort of mechanism that needs to be triggered somehow." Luster suggested "Which is a totally normal thing to know by the way." He added, darting suspicious glares at his friends.

"We weren't asking." Rori shrugged.

"Yeah, everyone knows how to get into all sort of secret lairs. No biggie." Kipling grinned.

Luster rolled his eyes and began to examine the rock. After several minutes, it became clear finding the rock may be the easiest part of this heist.

"Why didn't we ask Voiken the code?" Rori huffed.

"Why would he know? Veilwing and Voiken haven't been on good terms for years." Kipling reminded them. "Veilwing and Quinnlan wouldn't want Voiken and Vaughan getting their hands on their experiments."

"This is no good." Luster sniffed. "We should go back and figure out some sort of a plan, come back tomorrow."

"There must be some way in." Kipling didn't want to give himself an opportunity to back out. He perched himself on top of the rock, his tail curling into a swirl making its way around the 'V'. Suddenly there was a click, a flash of light, and Kipling disappeared.

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

It was dark. Kipling wished he could see where he was. He tried to feel his way around his surroundings, and found that it seemed to be made of cold dirt and stone. Had he found the entrance to Quinnlan's secret workshop.

Suddenly there were one more flash of light, followed by another, and Kipling was in darkness again.

"Oof." Luster's voice grumbled. "Rori, I think you're standing on my tail."

"Sorry-" Rori's voice rang. Kipling let out a squeak as she bumped into him.

"I'm so sorry! Hold on!" Rori apologized and fell silent. Just then, three small balls of light appeared and took their places above the three dragons. It was a rather small tunnel for three dragons to fit easily in, especially with a fully grown imperial.

"Anyone know where the exit is?" Kipling asked. his friends shook their heads. "Alright, let's see where this tunnel goes."

The three walked in relative silence, Kipling leading and Luster taking up the rear. Their path sloped downwards, deeper and deeper into the earth. The tunnel was too narrow and the air was too still to fly well, so they trudged along on their paws.

"Be careful with that tail." Luster hissed at Rori.

"Shhh, I hear voices!" Kipling shot back. He slowed to a halt and strained his ears.

"I don't hear-" Luster began. Rori hushed him.

Sure enough, voices could be heard talking a short distance away.

"We must be getting close." Kipling whispered. "Let's be very careful."

The trio crept forwards, trying to keep as out of sight as possible. Suddenly, the tunnel widened and they found themselves in a large chamber. It was lit by glowing orbs of light in various colours, much like the ones Rori had summoned. Scattered around the rooms were various tables, concoctions and machinery. The tables were covered in books, scrolls, ink bottles and quills, and despite the fact the chamber seemed rather disorganized, it seemed to have its own system to it.

The three dragons were so busy looking around they almost failed to notice that they were not alone. Standing at a table and looking over a page of notes were two dragons, a coatl and a nocturne.

"See, I told you someone was coming." They could hear Veilwing say faintly from across the room.

Quinnlan said nothing. He flew forwards, eyeing the three dragons not with displeasure, but instead curiosity.

"Now, what might you three be doing here?"

As of today I am officially done my first semester of university and am on summer break, so expect a lot of updates in the next little while! Flight Rising is my new main focus for free time, now that I don't have homework until September!
@Petall Oooohh, you had to end on a cliffhanger!! xDD Really interested to see how this'll play out, given Veilwing's split from her brother (and Vaughan lurking somewhere in the background). Congrats on making it to summer break! Ah, that brings back memories [size=1]and now I feel old.[/size] Hoping you'll have a lot of fun, creativity-filled days ahead! [emoji=rainbow star 1]
@Petall Oooohh, you had to end on a cliffhanger!! xDD Really interested to see how this'll play out, given Veilwing's split from her brother (and Vaughan lurking somewhere in the background).

Congrats on making it to summer break! Ah, that brings back memories and now I feel old. Hoping you'll have a lot of fun, creativity-filled days ahead!
@Disillusionist

I can't wait to write them!

Thank you! I'm super hyped!
@Disillusionist

I can't wait to write them!

Thank you! I'm super hyped!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/58#post_38422172]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 105: Busted![/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48678929] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/486790/48678929_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Well? How did you find out how to enter the tunnels?" Quinnlan asked, looking mildly amused. "You three are so smart and curious, I should have figured that one of you would find it eventually." [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49062279] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/490623/49062279_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Well..." Kipling shifted his weight awkwardly. There was no part of the truth that would go over well here. "What?" Quinnlan's face fell. "You haven't been sent by Voiken and Vaughan to steal our secrets, have you?" [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49769280] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/497693/49769280_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "No!" Rori jumped in, a little too quickly. "We-" Quinnlan sighed dramatically. "Those two are always trying to get ahold of my work! I have told them time and time again that time travel is [i]dangerous[/i] and has [i]serious reprecusions[/i], but will they listen? No. All Vaughan wants is to complete whatever evil scheme she has and she's got Voiken wrapped around her fingers. He used to be so [i]sensible[/i], oh how the good turn..." [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48280809] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/482809/48280809_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Darling-" Veilwing cut in. "Don't 'oh darling' me." Quinnlan huffed. He paused, realizing what he had said. "Oh, go ahead." "These three have a reputation for wriggling into unexpected places, do you really think they wouldn't find us sooner or later? Surely is is much better to [i]utilize[/i] such curiosity." Veilwing suggested. "Or at the very least hear them out. Even if they have spoken to my brother, he is not all bad. He's just made a few foolish decisions lately. And though they are decisions I cannot abide by you must remember the terrible loss his family has suffered." "I am aware. Forgive me if I am cautious of our work falling into the wrong hands." Quinnlan said. "Have I mentioned that the consequences-" "That the consequences would be disastrous? Only once or twice." Veilwing grinned. "Now, are we going to give these three a chance to speak?" "Yes." Kipling said in a small voice. "Um, we heard rumors about tunnels under the cliffs and we had to check it out. I got tired and perched on a rock. My tail fell naturally into place and the next thing I knew I was underground." "See? They're just lost, the poor things." Veilwing told her partner. "You don't need to see danger in any situation." "If we can prevent trouble [i]before[/i] it happens, no one would be in want of a time machine." Quinnlan reminded her. "Yet you have created a time machine?" Rori asked. "For theoretical purposes only!" Quinnlan insisted. "Not for actual use! I should destroy it before anyone gets any ideas-" He turned to look around the workshop and fell silent. "Where did it go?" It was then Kipling and Rori realized that Luster was no longer with them. "You must have misplaced it. You were giving it a polish earlier." Veilwing suggested gently. "Why don't you see if you can remember where you put it. I'll keep an eye on these two." Quinnlan was off without another word, leaving Veilwing alone with Kipling and Rori. "Go now, before he gets back." Veilwing urged the two young dragons. "I don't know why you need it, but looking to your futures, I can see that you do. Just be careful, and promise you'll give it back when you're done." "You're lying to Quinnlan?" Rori was taken aback. "I hate lying to him, but I know it's important that you have it. He doesn't have the abilities I have honed to see the future, and he is far too overprotective to let it out of his sight if he did." Veilwing explained. "Just beware one thing. Voiken has good intentions at heart, but his wife is pure evil. Do not trust her no matter what, and know that my brother does not always make wise choices. It is unfortunate that his abilities let him look to the past, not the future." "Thank you. We promise we'll be careful." Kipling nodded. And with that, he and Rori left quickly, before Quinnlan could return. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/59#post_38482927]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center] @CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11 @Tirtouga678[/center] ----- I hadn't realized just how much fun Veilwing and Quinnlan would be to write! Their lore (plus Voiken and Vaughan's) but especially Quinnlan's is inspired by VFD in A Series of Unfortunate Events. I have greatly enjoyed that show, it's become one of my favourites.

Chapter 105: Busted!

48678929_350.png

"Well? How did you find out how to enter the tunnels?" Quinnlan asked, looking mildly amused. "You three are so smart and curious, I should have figured that one of you would find it eventually."

"Well..." Kipling shifted his weight awkwardly. There was no part of the truth that would go over well here.

"What?" Quinnlan's face fell. "You haven't been sent by Voiken and Vaughan to steal our secrets, have you?"

"No!" Rori jumped in, a little too quickly. "We-"

Quinnlan sighed dramatically. "Those two are always trying to get ahold of my work! I have told them time and time again that time travel is dangerous and has serious reprecusions, but will they listen? No. All Vaughan wants is to complete whatever evil scheme she has and she's got Voiken wrapped around her fingers. He used to be so sensible, oh how the good turn..."

"Darling-" Veilwing cut in.

"Don't 'oh darling' me." Quinnlan huffed. He paused, realizing what he had said. "Oh, go ahead."

"These three have a reputation for wriggling into unexpected places, do you really think they wouldn't find us sooner or later? Surely is is much better to utilize such curiosity." Veilwing suggested. "Or at the very least hear them out. Even if they have spoken to my brother, he is not all bad. He's just made a few foolish decisions lately. And though they are decisions I cannot abide by you must remember the terrible loss his family has suffered."

"I am aware. Forgive me if I am cautious of our work falling into the wrong hands." Quinnlan said. "Have I mentioned that the consequences-"

"That the consequences would be disastrous? Only once or twice." Veilwing grinned. "Now, are we going to give these three a chance to speak?"

"Yes." Kipling said in a small voice. "Um, we heard rumors about tunnels under the cliffs and we had to check it out. I got tired and perched on a rock. My tail fell naturally into place and the next thing I knew I was underground."

"See? They're just lost, the poor things." Veilwing told her partner. "You don't need to see danger in any situation."

"If we can prevent trouble before it happens, no one would be in want of a time machine." Quinnlan reminded her.

"Yet you have created a time machine?" Rori asked.

"For theoretical purposes only!" Quinnlan insisted. "Not for actual use! I should destroy it before anyone gets any ideas-" He turned to look around the workshop and fell silent. "Where did it go?"

It was then Kipling and Rori realized that Luster was no longer with them.

"You must have misplaced it. You were giving it a polish earlier." Veilwing suggested gently. "Why don't you see if you can remember where you put it. I'll keep an eye on these two."

Quinnlan was off without another word, leaving Veilwing alone with Kipling and Rori.

"Go now, before he gets back." Veilwing urged the two young dragons. "I don't know why you need it, but looking to your futures, I can see that you do. Just be careful, and promise you'll give it back when you're done."

"You're lying to Quinnlan?" Rori was taken aback.

"I hate lying to him, but I know it's important that you have it. He doesn't have the abilities I have honed to see the future, and he is far too overprotective to let it out of his sight if he did." Veilwing explained. "Just beware one thing. Voiken has good intentions at heart, but his wife is pure evil. Do not trust her no matter what, and know that my brother does not always make wise choices. It is unfortunate that his abilities let him look to the past, not the future."

"Thank you. We promise we'll be careful." Kipling nodded. And with that, he and Rori left quickly, before Quinnlan could return.

I hadn't realized just how much fun Veilwing and Quinnlan would be to write! Their lore (plus Voiken and Vaughan's) but especially Quinnlan's is inspired by VFD in A Series of Unfortunate Events. I have greatly enjoyed that show, it's become one of my favourites.
@Petall Niiiiice! I was kind of worried they would have to fight their way out or something, so it was a relief to see Veilwing covering up for them -- and of course, Luster carpe-ing the diem and (I presume) making off with the time machine. xD Never a dull moment with these three together!
@Petall Niiiiice! I was kind of worried they would have to fight their way out or something, so it was a relief to see Veilwing covering up for them -- and of course, Luster carpe-ing the diem and (I presume) making off with the time machine. xD Never a dull moment with these three together!
@Disillusionist

They certainly keep thing exciting, that's for sure!
@Disillusionist

They certainly keep thing exciting, that's for sure!
1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 78 79