Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Write Away
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 91 92
@Mypilot

It's totally fine.
I just wanted to ask :)
@Mypilot

It's totally fine.
I just wanted to ask :)
tumblr_ot0059o4wr1v8lm95o1_r1_100.png hi, i'm may! nice to meet you. feel free to send a PM if you'd like to say hi! WKtl2lb.png
WQA384m.png
ZbNAjCO.png
@Mypilot Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the sestina. I really did enjoy writing it, and it went the opposite way I intended it to when I started, which makes it even more special. I didn't know the guy had died until I wrote the end of the second stanza. :D @Chrisondra @TidalMoonrise @MyPilot @PixieKnight3284 @Karika @SamIamLuvDov @Lightshadow101 @humanityxpeople @coyearth @Avanari @demonslayr62 @Silverscale @acorn781 @JasperQuartz Without further ado: The next prompt [img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZtHTV82_U8Y/VHd593oXY0I/AAAAAAAAAbE/Y12qlxEF6n4/s1600/383025_575447202475208_1007377906_n.jpg[/img] [b]Time Limit:[/b] Until 23:59 FR time August 11th. :D Write what you want. I'm excited to see. [b]If you wish to be added to the ping list, please do so [url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dBM6-s4AYOSpYMqzHtyyTD2IGu27hQDf6MlYMGa76uA/edit]Here[/url].[/b]
@Mypilot

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the sestina. I really did enjoy writing it, and it went the opposite way I intended it to when I started, which makes it even more special. I didn't know the guy had died until I wrote the end of the second stanza. :D

@Chrisondra @TidalMoonrise @MyPilot @PixieKnight3284 @Karika @SamIamLuvDov @Lightshadow101 @humanityxpeople @coyearth @Avanari @demonslayr62 @Silverscale @acorn781 @JasperQuartz

Without further ado: The next prompt

383025_575447202475208_1007377906_n.jpg

Time Limit: Until 23:59 FR time August 11th. :D

Write what you want. I'm excited to see.

If you wish to be added to the ping list, please do so Here.

24g3RZs.png_________f6tJHhG.png9mNFxmr.pngik9FTzc.pngUeE49wQ.png_________24g3RZs.png
@Chrisondra

If you're interested, I listened to this as I wrote.

---

She stood at the edge of the lake, candlelight flickering a reflection on the still water. The night was dark and moonless, and the water stretched black before her, as if the sky itself had fallen at her feet. She bent down and trailed one hand in the water, watching as it rippled away from her skin. She was as foreign to it as this night was to her. She was here, but she was not fully aware. It was as if a part of her had left and she was trailing behind, waiting for the tide to sweep her away. The tide would be going out soon.

She stood and stepped into the small boat that waited for her, a masked figure at its stern to guide it through the shallows. It bobbed under her weight and then settled, drifting out onto the still lake. The candlelight went with her, bathing her in its soft glow, but inside she was empty. She could not feel anything anymore. She stared into the darkness ahead of her, a coin clasped in her fingers. Even the feel of metal could not ground her thoughts. She was light, she was weightless. She was dead, and the ferryman would take her across the river Styxx.

A haunting melody began to play out of the darkness, rolling in on a tide of mist. She closed her eyes and let it envelope her, swaying slightly, as if she would become one with the notes. She did not greive for the loss of her life, because she had no emotion left to give, only that weightlessness. She had her coin to pay her toll. She need not fear the ferryman. She could almost feel the souls of the damned that drifted along below her, wailing their miseries. But she was safe, she had passed from this world, and she did not greive.

She was simply a woman in a boat, on the way to the afterlife.
@Chrisondra

If you're interested, I listened to this as I wrote.

---

She stood at the edge of the lake, candlelight flickering a reflection on the still water. The night was dark and moonless, and the water stretched black before her, as if the sky itself had fallen at her feet. She bent down and trailed one hand in the water, watching as it rippled away from her skin. She was as foreign to it as this night was to her. She was here, but she was not fully aware. It was as if a part of her had left and she was trailing behind, waiting for the tide to sweep her away. The tide would be going out soon.

She stood and stepped into the small boat that waited for her, a masked figure at its stern to guide it through the shallows. It bobbed under her weight and then settled, drifting out onto the still lake. The candlelight went with her, bathing her in its soft glow, but inside she was empty. She could not feel anything anymore. She stared into the darkness ahead of her, a coin clasped in her fingers. Even the feel of metal could not ground her thoughts. She was light, she was weightless. She was dead, and the ferryman would take her across the river Styxx.

A haunting melody began to play out of the darkness, rolling in on a tide of mist. She closed her eyes and let it envelope her, swaying slightly, as if she would become one with the notes. She did not greive for the loss of her life, because she had no emotion left to give, only that weightlessness. She had her coin to pay her toll. She need not fear the ferryman. She could almost feel the souls of the damned that drifted along below her, wailing their miseries. But she was safe, she had passed from this world, and she did not greive.

She was simply a woman in a boat, on the way to the afterlife.
DmRdZYl.png
@Chrisondra (This is a third bit in a series-like thing I'm writing, the other two are other submissions I've made. Feel free to check them out on this thread or this thread.)

The journey felt like it lasted forever. Camille ran her hands over the side of the boat, longing for her friends and her past. She knew she could shatter the vessel with a touch, her enhanced strength being responsible for that, but she didn't want to. Sinking didn't sound acceptable to her, so she wouldn't allow is to happen.

Camille gently dipped the tip of her toe in the water, shivering as her foot slid in to the inky blackness. She was almost surprised when it only came out dripping with water, not ink or some other unknown substance. Camille, despite having the power of unimaginable strength, she didn't have the strength of will to prevent her self from thinking about Maia and Inis. Though they had been together, they were her two best friends and the only people who could truly, emotionally, understand her. Friends were a rare gift, and Camille had thrown them away for a job opportunity. Granted, is was an exceptionally pertinent and invaluable job, but it still meant being separated from them, which Camille was far from ready for.

Fireflies flitted around the boat and the rest of the river, casting spheres of golden light on the surface where they flew. The lights on Camille's boat combined with the fireflies turned the surface of the river from an inky black to an ambrosia gold, and Camille swore she could almost taste the sweet liquid on her tongue, or smell it in the air. She brushed her blond hair back over her shoulders and smiled, closing her eyes. This river was her domain, the world was her domain, the universe was her home. Camille knew these things for a fact. However, there were a few things she didn't know, things she didn't know she didn't know. But things you don't know can't hurt you, or at least they can't in this situation, so Camille was left with the longing to see Inis and Maia, not the knowledge that they were on apposite sides of the world, and that their last words to each other had been 'I hate you'. Eventually Camille would learn these things, but for know, she was left in blissful ignorance, with a pang of longing in her heart, and a sad smile on her face.

Word Count: 383
@Chrisondra (This is a third bit in a series-like thing I'm writing, the other two are other submissions I've made. Feel free to check them out on this thread or this thread.)

The journey felt like it lasted forever. Camille ran her hands over the side of the boat, longing for her friends and her past. She knew she could shatter the vessel with a touch, her enhanced strength being responsible for that, but she didn't want to. Sinking didn't sound acceptable to her, so she wouldn't allow is to happen.

Camille gently dipped the tip of her toe in the water, shivering as her foot slid in to the inky blackness. She was almost surprised when it only came out dripping with water, not ink or some other unknown substance. Camille, despite having the power of unimaginable strength, she didn't have the strength of will to prevent her self from thinking about Maia and Inis. Though they had been together, they were her two best friends and the only people who could truly, emotionally, understand her. Friends were a rare gift, and Camille had thrown them away for a job opportunity. Granted, is was an exceptionally pertinent and invaluable job, but it still meant being separated from them, which Camille was far from ready for.

Fireflies flitted around the boat and the rest of the river, casting spheres of golden light on the surface where they flew. The lights on Camille's boat combined with the fireflies turned the surface of the river from an inky black to an ambrosia gold, and Camille swore she could almost taste the sweet liquid on her tongue, or smell it in the air. She brushed her blond hair back over her shoulders and smiled, closing her eyes. This river was her domain, the world was her domain, the universe was her home. Camille knew these things for a fact. However, there were a few things she didn't know, things she didn't know she didn't know. But things you don't know can't hurt you, or at least they can't in this situation, so Camille was left with the longing to see Inis and Maia, not the knowledge that they were on apposite sides of the world, and that their last words to each other had been 'I hate you'. Eventually Camille would learn these things, but for know, she was left in blissful ignorance, with a pang of longing in her heart, and a sad smile on her face.

Word Count: 383
tumblr_ot0059o4wr1v8lm95o1_r1_100.png hi, i'm may! nice to meet you. feel free to send a PM if you'd like to say hi! WKtl2lb.png
WQA384m.png
ZbNAjCO.png
She felt the boat sway beneath her, a gentle rocking that soothed her nerves. Her hands, clasped before her, felt dry despite the humidity in the air. Even her mouth was without moisture, and she pursed her lips as she stared ahead.

Her father had told her that this was her destiny, and despite her mothers insistence Kaia knew he was right. She could hear her mother now, quietly weeping from the shoreline. This was the right decision, she reminded herself, repeated it like a mantra. Perhaps then it would chase away the tremors that coursed through her skin.

Before her, like a blanket of eldritch green, was the Elfore Swamp. It was still, as all evil places usually were, and even the birds dare not make noise here. The boat moved ahead of her, long since gaining its own speed, tugged along by whatever magic lived in this place. She did not need to row it, and so she stood and waited.

Kaia closed her eyes briefly, letting the feel of her own breath sooth her nerves. When next she opened them, the beast was before her.

The creature that guarded Elfore Swamp was nothing like the kingdom had seen before, nor anything that anyone could identify. It's skin was made of scales sharper than a knife, and harder than crystal. Each obsidian scale caught the light, flicking beneath the faint sunshine. It's eyes were intelligent and wide, all-seeing as the beast watched Kaia approach in her boat. Perhaps it was the beasts magic that permeated every inch of the swamp, perhaps not. The creature radiated power, and that is all Kaia knew for certain.

The beasts gaze drew over Kaia's shoulder, likely to the shoreline where the nobility stood. They were all there to bear witness to the marriage, to watch as Kaia signed away everything she was to this beast.

Ah, yes, the marriage.

It was expected now, demanded even, that royal blood would be wed to the beast each year. This, she was told, was so the creature would not leave the swamp and destroy the kingdom. The wives never returned, and the creature was always waiting for it's next to arrive. Last year it had been Kaia's sister. Not it was her, and after that... She didn't need to worry about after that.

The beasts pale white gaze leveled on her once more, the boat drawing closer. Before the tip of it could touch the beast, it halted. Kaia stood there, reigning in her quivering, and waited for damnation. But the beast did not move.

Slowly, silently, it sunk back into the swamp. The murky water did not stir from the movement, and Kaia watched the beast slither back into the water as if it had never been there. Then, abruptly, the boat lurched down as well, and Kaia held her breath as she swallowed the scream that wanted to escape.

Strangely, the liquid did not choke her. And she was not blind in it's opaque green colour, because beneath the surface the liquid was clearer than even glass. The boat sunk to the sandy bottom and did not move again.

Tentatively, Kaia stepped out of the boat. She breathed the water as if it were air, and the sensation was...unusual. Such was her confusion that she did not see the beast before her, it's dark scales like oil in the water. Only when it shifted did she notice it, startling so much that she nearly tripped backwards.

Like a whip, the creature was behind her. It caught her in it's claws, bearing teeth that were grey and sharp and nearly half her size. She struggled in the creatures grip, but it drew her closer, inky clawtips digging into her skin. Her dress offered no protection to the beasts ferocity.

The beast drew her towards it's mouth, and she almost froze in terror. This was it, right here. Moments after seeing her family, she was going to die as food for this damning beast. But her mind was defiant in this, and said clearly: no.

She slid out of the creatures grip, pushing the opposite way of the scales so that the sharp bottoms would not pierce her. She floated down and the beast roared, the sound dull and reverberating in the water.

When Kaia hit the sandy bed, she displaced the sand beneath her. She felt something hard against her heel, and she tore her gaze from the angry beast to see what she'd hit. It was a sword, plain steel, buried loosely in the sand.

Slowly, her mind scrambling amidst the fear, Kaia recalled the knights and mercenaries they'd hired to kill the beasts. Handfuls of men and women who disappeared into the swamp and did not resurface. This was what had become of them, and what would become of her.

As if struck by a spark, Kaia felt anger well up in her heart. This is not what she would become. She was never going to give in, to become a forgotten memory buried at the bottom of a lake. She reached for the sword and pushed herself off the swamp floor, ready for the ferocious beast. It charged her, she charged it, and they met in the middle.

Later, when the blade was buried to the hilt in the eye of the beast and the water had indeed become murky with it's dark blood, and Kaia was laying on the sand floor nursing the bite wound to her gut, she stared up at the water above her. It was no longer still, and she watched the surface shift faintly with movement. Perhaps if she swam above, she would hear birds calling again. Perhaps she would not. But Kaia was too tired to move, or to find out, and she could swear the water was growing darker around her. Perhaps if she just closed her eyes...
She felt the boat sway beneath her, a gentle rocking that soothed her nerves. Her hands, clasped before her, felt dry despite the humidity in the air. Even her mouth was without moisture, and she pursed her lips as she stared ahead.

Her father had told her that this was her destiny, and despite her mothers insistence Kaia knew he was right. She could hear her mother now, quietly weeping from the shoreline. This was the right decision, she reminded herself, repeated it like a mantra. Perhaps then it would chase away the tremors that coursed through her skin.

Before her, like a blanket of eldritch green, was the Elfore Swamp. It was still, as all evil places usually were, and even the birds dare not make noise here. The boat moved ahead of her, long since gaining its own speed, tugged along by whatever magic lived in this place. She did not need to row it, and so she stood and waited.

Kaia closed her eyes briefly, letting the feel of her own breath sooth her nerves. When next she opened them, the beast was before her.

The creature that guarded Elfore Swamp was nothing like the kingdom had seen before, nor anything that anyone could identify. It's skin was made of scales sharper than a knife, and harder than crystal. Each obsidian scale caught the light, flicking beneath the faint sunshine. It's eyes were intelligent and wide, all-seeing as the beast watched Kaia approach in her boat. Perhaps it was the beasts magic that permeated every inch of the swamp, perhaps not. The creature radiated power, and that is all Kaia knew for certain.

The beasts gaze drew over Kaia's shoulder, likely to the shoreline where the nobility stood. They were all there to bear witness to the marriage, to watch as Kaia signed away everything she was to this beast.

Ah, yes, the marriage.

It was expected now, demanded even, that royal blood would be wed to the beast each year. This, she was told, was so the creature would not leave the swamp and destroy the kingdom. The wives never returned, and the creature was always waiting for it's next to arrive. Last year it had been Kaia's sister. Not it was her, and after that... She didn't need to worry about after that.

The beasts pale white gaze leveled on her once more, the boat drawing closer. Before the tip of it could touch the beast, it halted. Kaia stood there, reigning in her quivering, and waited for damnation. But the beast did not move.

Slowly, silently, it sunk back into the swamp. The murky water did not stir from the movement, and Kaia watched the beast slither back into the water as if it had never been there. Then, abruptly, the boat lurched down as well, and Kaia held her breath as she swallowed the scream that wanted to escape.

Strangely, the liquid did not choke her. And she was not blind in it's opaque green colour, because beneath the surface the liquid was clearer than even glass. The boat sunk to the sandy bottom and did not move again.

Tentatively, Kaia stepped out of the boat. She breathed the water as if it were air, and the sensation was...unusual. Such was her confusion that she did not see the beast before her, it's dark scales like oil in the water. Only when it shifted did she notice it, startling so much that she nearly tripped backwards.

Like a whip, the creature was behind her. It caught her in it's claws, bearing teeth that were grey and sharp and nearly half her size. She struggled in the creatures grip, but it drew her closer, inky clawtips digging into her skin. Her dress offered no protection to the beasts ferocity.

The beast drew her towards it's mouth, and she almost froze in terror. This was it, right here. Moments after seeing her family, she was going to die as food for this damning beast. But her mind was defiant in this, and said clearly: no.

She slid out of the creatures grip, pushing the opposite way of the scales so that the sharp bottoms would not pierce her. She floated down and the beast roared, the sound dull and reverberating in the water.

When Kaia hit the sandy bed, she displaced the sand beneath her. She felt something hard against her heel, and she tore her gaze from the angry beast to see what she'd hit. It was a sword, plain steel, buried loosely in the sand.

Slowly, her mind scrambling amidst the fear, Kaia recalled the knights and mercenaries they'd hired to kill the beasts. Handfuls of men and women who disappeared into the swamp and did not resurface. This was what had become of them, and what would become of her.

As if struck by a spark, Kaia felt anger well up in her heart. This is not what she would become. She was never going to give in, to become a forgotten memory buried at the bottom of a lake. She reached for the sword and pushed herself off the swamp floor, ready for the ferocious beast. It charged her, she charged it, and they met in the middle.

Later, when the blade was buried to the hilt in the eye of the beast and the water had indeed become murky with it's dark blood, and Kaia was laying on the sand floor nursing the bite wound to her gut, she stared up at the water above her. It was no longer still, and she watched the surface shift faintly with movement. Perhaps if she swam above, she would hear birds calling again. Perhaps she would not. But Kaia was too tired to move, or to find out, and she could swear the water was growing darker around her. Perhaps if she just closed her eyes...
VvxoVdD.png iceshieldr.png
Pilot
Tumblr
Lore
|
|
|
FR +0
Wishlist
Library
@Chrisondra

"Already she seemed to him, as by men of later days still at times are seen: present and yet remote, a living vision of that which has already been left far behind by the flowing streams of time."
-J.R.R. Tolkien

The weary sun hangs low, lo, the breaking of the world
when all is turned to stone, stone withers back to dust
the elves have all faded to fea, the race of men is lost
the dwarves into the deep, no more hear the halfling's call
-bright laughter ringing free as drink and song -
and the glory of the world left in echoes of fading song.

A distant memory, Lothlorien, calls to the grey earth
a Lady, lit with burning tapers yet she seemed to give them light
already passing, on the flowing stream of time
half-shimmering, like a dream, or a memory,
the Great and golden Glory of the world in its youth!
Gold ran from the mountains and mead from the Woods
and the Peoples joined hand and raised sword against the darkness
so even the trees marched and the Towers fell
for who could stand against the might
of one so small?

So those who remember: look to the Wild places of the world.
Under the fading trees, see the fea wander so fair and forgotten
hear the hammer ring under the mountain!
Do not tarry to marvel at the crumbling monuments of men
They spoke of the splendor of the Kings of men; no longer.
They speak of sadness. It is time to follow,
follow the white Lady in her silver boat to the silver sea.
There, though Valinor be lost, to sundered Eressea.
@Chrisondra

"Already she seemed to him, as by men of later days still at times are seen: present and yet remote, a living vision of that which has already been left far behind by the flowing streams of time."
-J.R.R. Tolkien

The weary sun hangs low, lo, the breaking of the world
when all is turned to stone, stone withers back to dust
the elves have all faded to fea, the race of men is lost
the dwarves into the deep, no more hear the halfling's call
-bright laughter ringing free as drink and song -
and the glory of the world left in echoes of fading song.

A distant memory, Lothlorien, calls to the grey earth
a Lady, lit with burning tapers yet she seemed to give them light
already passing, on the flowing stream of time
half-shimmering, like a dream, or a memory,
the Great and golden Glory of the world in its youth!
Gold ran from the mountains and mead from the Woods
and the Peoples joined hand and raised sword against the darkness
so even the trees marched and the Towers fell
for who could stand against the might
of one so small?

So those who remember: look to the Wild places of the world.
Under the fading trees, see the fea wander so fair and forgotten
hear the hammer ring under the mountain!
Do not tarry to marvel at the crumbling monuments of men
They spoke of the splendor of the Kings of men; no longer.
They speak of sadness. It is time to follow,
follow the white Lady in her silver boat to the silver sea.
There, though Valinor be lost, to sundered Eressea.
@Chrisondra

The boat stands ready at the dock waiting
To send me to places as yet unknown
To me. Only after much debating,
Did they decide to send me on alone.

The flames flicker and the boat sways as we
Begin our journey. The stars’ dance across the waves
Taunt me with their promise of what could be
If I were not to go and join his slaves.

The wind ruffles through my paper dress, cold
And bitter. It whispers the hopes and dreams
And the pains and nightmares of those of old.
It laughs at a joke it has made it seems.

The shore approaches with a bright lit bay
Only the finest for our wedding day.

Only the finest for our wedding day
Was what he repeated so often in
His letter. A small price to end the fray
To bring me lower than I’ve ever been.

His hand grasps mine. Rough and hard he pulls me
To the hand-made altar. Then a blur of
Color. A ring. And far too late to flee.
A marriage for peace. A life without love.

The wind flutters past. Cold cuts to my bones
Numbing me to pain I do not yet feel.
A sort of recompense for all the stones
And the wounds it promises will not heal.

The flames flicker as they feel his hating
The boat stands ready at the dock waiting.
@Chrisondra

The boat stands ready at the dock waiting
To send me to places as yet unknown
To me. Only after much debating,
Did they decide to send me on alone.

The flames flicker and the boat sways as we
Begin our journey. The stars’ dance across the waves
Taunt me with their promise of what could be
If I were not to go and join his slaves.

The wind ruffles through my paper dress, cold
And bitter. It whispers the hopes and dreams
And the pains and nightmares of those of old.
It laughs at a joke it has made it seems.

The shore approaches with a bright lit bay
Only the finest for our wedding day.

Only the finest for our wedding day
Was what he repeated so often in
His letter. A small price to end the fray
To bring me lower than I’ve ever been.

His hand grasps mine. Rough and hard he pulls me
To the hand-made altar. Then a blur of
Color. A ring. And far too late to flee.
A marriage for peace. A life without love.

The wind flutters past. Cold cuts to my bones
Numbing me to pain I do not yet feel.
A sort of recompense for all the stones
And the wounds it promises will not heal.

The flames flicker as they feel his hating
The boat stands ready at the dock waiting.
AVcm6cm.gifSFt2mV6.pngehvITcG.gifAk5NINa.png+1 FR Time
Ooh! This seems really cool! I might get in on the next prompt...
Ooh! This seems really cool! I might get in on the next prompt...
Come follow me on tumblr!

theprofessorstrikesagain.tumblr.com
@Chrisondra

Through the trees, I caught glimpses of stars that shimmered in the sky. I glanced at the car clock, then I looked at him.

"You hate driving anywhere that takes longer than 10 minutes. Where are we going?" I asked. He was killing me with the suspense, and I had played along for almost half an hour, but now I needed to know.

He glanced at me and smiled, shaking his head. He wouldn't tell me.

I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest and went back to staring out the window.

A few minutes later, we turned into a small, emtpy parking lot. He parked the car. Neither one of us got out, though both of got unbuckled.

"You drove us all the way out to an empty parking lot? How romantic," I said, biting my lip and trying my best not to admit I was disappointed. This was just the kind of thing he would do on our anniversary. Romance was dead. No, I was dead. "Not a bad place to murder me. I approve."

He laughed. "I love you. I'm not gonna murder you."

"I love you, too." I smiled.

We got out of the car and stood in the parking lot, which was lit by a dying streetlamp. I noticed a sign across the lot that said something about boat rides, and I realized that we were going on one of those romantic boat rides, and I felt bad that I ever doubted him.

I grabbed his hand and we walked over to the sign. "Tours stopped for the day hours ago," I said, reading over the information bulletin. Anxiety brewed in the pit of my stomach. We should not be here. Instead, we should be eating dinner at a restaurant or something that we did every year.

No one else was here, which meant we had all the time we wanted to ourselves, but it also meant that no one would hear us scream if we were in trouble.

"I pulled a few strings. They'll do a tour for us," he replied as he squeezed my head to reassure me that everything was fine. He had a way of knowing when I got overwhelmed even when I thought he didn't know, and it made me feel a little more relaxed. "Okay, I pulled a lot of strings. You okay?"

"I will be." I shrugged and he pulled me into an embrace.

"How about now?"

"Hmm... a little better." My lips curled up in a smile as he leaned down and kissed me for a second, then he let go of me and we walked down the dirt path to the shore.

Moonlight reflected off the calm waters, illuminating the shore. One boat rested on the dock. A woman in long, flowing white robes stood at the front. She didn't look at us as we sat down in the boat.

Not one word escaped her lips as we began to move, almost like magic, in the water.

It was not possible to relax in this small boat. I looked at him and noticed his own fear that he hid behind his eyes. Between the two of us, he was the most put together. Nothing bothered him on the surface, but I knew the nights when he would break down and admit his fears and his worries.

In this moment, neither one of us wanted to admit a thing. Maybe this was how they always did things and there was some kind of motor on the bottom. The thing that bothered me most was that this lady said nothing to us.

She didn't acknowledge our existence.

I leaned my head against his shoulder and intertwined his fingers with mine. He stroked my hair gently, the repetition relaxed me and I rested my eyes. Just for a moment or two.

When I woke up, the lady was gone. We still on the boat. He was asleep.

"Get up," I said quietly as I shook his just enough that he would awaken.

He blinked a few times, rubbed his eyes, and looked just as confused as I felt. "Uh, what happened?" he asked.

"We fell asleep," I answered.

His eyes widened. "What happened to the lady?"

"I don't know." We should not have fallen asleep. Now, we were in the middle of a river that softly flowed and we had no easy way of stopping it. "We need to get back to the car."

"How? There's no oars." He was right. The motor, or magic, or whatever it was that propelled us forward, no longer worked. We were slaves to the current with no way back.

Stuck in the middle of a river. "We could swim back."

He touched the water, considering this option for a moment. Then he pulled his phone out of his pocket. No signal. Of course there wouldn't be out here in the forest.

In this moment, I wished we had opted to get our phones waterproofed. There were so many memories kept on them.

Swimming wasn't an option. Not with how pricey it would be to fix our phones.

"I want to go home," I said.

"You know what? This is nice," he replied. "It's just you and me."

He was right. Just the two of us on a little boat. There was maybe enough room for us to lay out on the bottom and stare up at the stars. This was a chance to enjoy each other's company, which was all we really wanted today.

Before I could suggest such a thing, the lady reappeared. She looked at us with surprise, like she didn't expect us to be sitting there on the boat. Her expression turned to anger.

"Trespassers," she said, voice much rougher than her soft demeanor. She turned around and the boat moved at a swift speed, splashing water around.

In a way, this was exactly how I wanted to go. With the love of my life by my side. On the other hand, we were on a boat with a beautiful, demon-y witch woman who wanted to kill us. So, not peaceful in any way, shape, or form.

In the distance, we could hear a waterfall, and we were headed right toward it.

"We have to get out of this boat," I whispered.

He looked like he was in a trance, staring straight forward. I shook his shoulders, but he didn't look at me. I didn't understand. Why wasn't he reacting?

What had she done?

The current was moving faster now, and we were racing along, getting closer and closer and closer to death.

I tried to push him out of the boat. I tried to save us both.

My heart raced. Adrenaline kicked in, and I picked him up and I jumped. I never let go of him as we swam to the surface.

The waterfall was gone.

The woman and the boat were gone.

He struggled to tread water. I focused my energy on getting us both back to shore. The waters were calm again.

We laid in the sand for a while, staring up at the stars. Our clothes were soaked, but the warmth in the air helped to dry us. Neither one of us said anything about the strange encounter we had had. We were used to those, used to the weird and mysterious things the world had to offer, yet we had trouble expecting them.

All we wanted was peace and quiet and happiness. Simple things. The world decided what we actually got.
@Chrisondra

Through the trees, I caught glimpses of stars that shimmered in the sky. I glanced at the car clock, then I looked at him.

"You hate driving anywhere that takes longer than 10 minutes. Where are we going?" I asked. He was killing me with the suspense, and I had played along for almost half an hour, but now I needed to know.

He glanced at me and smiled, shaking his head. He wouldn't tell me.

I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest and went back to staring out the window.

A few minutes later, we turned into a small, emtpy parking lot. He parked the car. Neither one of us got out, though both of got unbuckled.

"You drove us all the way out to an empty parking lot? How romantic," I said, biting my lip and trying my best not to admit I was disappointed. This was just the kind of thing he would do on our anniversary. Romance was dead. No, I was dead. "Not a bad place to murder me. I approve."

He laughed. "I love you. I'm not gonna murder you."

"I love you, too." I smiled.

We got out of the car and stood in the parking lot, which was lit by a dying streetlamp. I noticed a sign across the lot that said something about boat rides, and I realized that we were going on one of those romantic boat rides, and I felt bad that I ever doubted him.

I grabbed his hand and we walked over to the sign. "Tours stopped for the day hours ago," I said, reading over the information bulletin. Anxiety brewed in the pit of my stomach. We should not be here. Instead, we should be eating dinner at a restaurant or something that we did every year.

No one else was here, which meant we had all the time we wanted to ourselves, but it also meant that no one would hear us scream if we were in trouble.

"I pulled a few strings. They'll do a tour for us," he replied as he squeezed my head to reassure me that everything was fine. He had a way of knowing when I got overwhelmed even when I thought he didn't know, and it made me feel a little more relaxed. "Okay, I pulled a lot of strings. You okay?"

"I will be." I shrugged and he pulled me into an embrace.

"How about now?"

"Hmm... a little better." My lips curled up in a smile as he leaned down and kissed me for a second, then he let go of me and we walked down the dirt path to the shore.

Moonlight reflected off the calm waters, illuminating the shore. One boat rested on the dock. A woman in long, flowing white robes stood at the front. She didn't look at us as we sat down in the boat.

Not one word escaped her lips as we began to move, almost like magic, in the water.

It was not possible to relax in this small boat. I looked at him and noticed his own fear that he hid behind his eyes. Between the two of us, he was the most put together. Nothing bothered him on the surface, but I knew the nights when he would break down and admit his fears and his worries.

In this moment, neither one of us wanted to admit a thing. Maybe this was how they always did things and there was some kind of motor on the bottom. The thing that bothered me most was that this lady said nothing to us.

She didn't acknowledge our existence.

I leaned my head against his shoulder and intertwined his fingers with mine. He stroked my hair gently, the repetition relaxed me and I rested my eyes. Just for a moment or two.

When I woke up, the lady was gone. We still on the boat. He was asleep.

"Get up," I said quietly as I shook his just enough that he would awaken.

He blinked a few times, rubbed his eyes, and looked just as confused as I felt. "Uh, what happened?" he asked.

"We fell asleep," I answered.

His eyes widened. "What happened to the lady?"

"I don't know." We should not have fallen asleep. Now, we were in the middle of a river that softly flowed and we had no easy way of stopping it. "We need to get back to the car."

"How? There's no oars." He was right. The motor, or magic, or whatever it was that propelled us forward, no longer worked. We were slaves to the current with no way back.

Stuck in the middle of a river. "We could swim back."

He touched the water, considering this option for a moment. Then he pulled his phone out of his pocket. No signal. Of course there wouldn't be out here in the forest.

In this moment, I wished we had opted to get our phones waterproofed. There were so many memories kept on them.

Swimming wasn't an option. Not with how pricey it would be to fix our phones.

"I want to go home," I said.

"You know what? This is nice," he replied. "It's just you and me."

He was right. Just the two of us on a little boat. There was maybe enough room for us to lay out on the bottom and stare up at the stars. This was a chance to enjoy each other's company, which was all we really wanted today.

Before I could suggest such a thing, the lady reappeared. She looked at us with surprise, like she didn't expect us to be sitting there on the boat. Her expression turned to anger.

"Trespassers," she said, voice much rougher than her soft demeanor. She turned around and the boat moved at a swift speed, splashing water around.

In a way, this was exactly how I wanted to go. With the love of my life by my side. On the other hand, we were on a boat with a beautiful, demon-y witch woman who wanted to kill us. So, not peaceful in any way, shape, or form.

In the distance, we could hear a waterfall, and we were headed right toward it.

"We have to get out of this boat," I whispered.

He looked like he was in a trance, staring straight forward. I shook his shoulders, but he didn't look at me. I didn't understand. Why wasn't he reacting?

What had she done?

The current was moving faster now, and we were racing along, getting closer and closer and closer to death.

I tried to push him out of the boat. I tried to save us both.

My heart raced. Adrenaline kicked in, and I picked him up and I jumped. I never let go of him as we swam to the surface.

The waterfall was gone.

The woman and the boat were gone.

He struggled to tread water. I focused my energy on getting us both back to shore. The waters were calm again.

We laid in the sand for a while, staring up at the stars. Our clothes were soaked, but the warmth in the air helped to dry us. Neither one of us said anything about the strange encounter we had had. We were used to those, used to the weird and mysterious things the world had to offer, yet we had trouble expecting them.

All we wanted was peace and quiet and happiness. Simple things. The world decided what we actually got.
dlJsEIj.png
@ladylilitu
Short but powerful. There’s something to be said for defining a definite story in so few words. I enjoyed it… well, as much as I could with the sad ending.

Favorite line: “The white gown she had been wearing for the past nine months was loose around her midsection, billowing in the sudden breeze.”

@Karika
Okay, I’m a sucker for mythology. Total sucker. Like, you found my secret weakness and exploited it mercilessly. I love love love how well you described the passage of a soul into the afterlife upon the boat. The coin, the forgetting… I love it all. It’s perfectly surreal.

Favorite Line: “A haunting melody began to play out of the darkness, rolling in on a tide of mist”

@Lightshadow101
I know it’s a third bit in a series, but this one left me with a number of questions. It’s more of a speck of a story than a story unto itself. That said, I did enjoy reading it. But what was her job opportunity? Why is the river her domain? I can invent all the answers I want, but I’d like to know. :D

Favorite Line: “Fireflies flitted around the boat and the rest of the river, casting spheres of golden light on the surface where they flew.“

@MyPilot
Man, oh man. You already heard this, but I want to take your story and tack Karika’s onto the end of it because I think that the two fit perfectly together (and I’m a sucker for circles as much as I’m a sucker for mythology.) I love this story. Honestly, I didn’t expect it to end quite like it did. She did not end up as food, and while she died, she saved countless others in her death. Love. Total Love. I also love how smoothly you describe things. It makes me happy

Favorite Line: “Perhaps if she just closed her eyes...”

@TidalMoonrise
I’m definitely a fan of Middle Earth, and I’m definitely a fan of your poem. It flows very well and I enjoyed the imagery a great deal. The end of time has always been a fascinating thing for me, just like the beginning, and I thoroughly enjoyed the poem.

Favorite Line(s): “The weary sun hangs low, lo, the breaking of the world
when all is turned to stone, stone withers back to dust”

@PixieKnight3264
The use of justification in this poem is fantastic. I love the swaying feeling it gives and the poem flows very well to boot. I like the second stanza the best overall. The wind taunting her is a fantastic touch. Beautiful and haunting… it fits the prompt quite well.

Favorite Line: “A marriage for peace. A life without love.”

@humanityxpeople
Hey! They didn’t die! This short story was excellent. I was on the edge of my seat. I would love to know more about the woman, but, at the same time, I love the mystery about her. Talk about getting in the wrong boat. :D You’re very good at suspense, I must say.

Favorite Line: “In a way, this was exactly how I wanted to go. With the love of my life by my side.”

At that point, I honestly thought they would die. The deception makes this line my favorite.

Winner: @pixieknight3264 – For your creative use of space and the beauty of the poem and the harsh and haunting topic. I give you the crown.

Alternate(s): @Karika/@MyPilot. If Pixieknight does not, for some unforeseeable reason, put out a prompt, you two will just have to come up with one together because I can’t unsee your two stories and one. :D

As I sail down the river of time,
each tree a galaxy, each branch a star,
I search for the hardest things to find--
Serenity and a contented heart.
@ladylilitu
Short but powerful. There’s something to be said for defining a definite story in so few words. I enjoyed it… well, as much as I could with the sad ending.

Favorite line: “The white gown she had been wearing for the past nine months was loose around her midsection, billowing in the sudden breeze.”

@Karika
Okay, I’m a sucker for mythology. Total sucker. Like, you found my secret weakness and exploited it mercilessly. I love love love how well you described the passage of a soul into the afterlife upon the boat. The coin, the forgetting… I love it all. It’s perfectly surreal.

Favorite Line: “A haunting melody began to play out of the darkness, rolling in on a tide of mist”

@Lightshadow101
I know it’s a third bit in a series, but this one left me with a number of questions. It’s more of a speck of a story than a story unto itself. That said, I did enjoy reading it. But what was her job opportunity? Why is the river her domain? I can invent all the answers I want, but I’d like to know. :D

Favorite Line: “Fireflies flitted around the boat and the rest of the river, casting spheres of golden light on the surface where they flew.“

@MyPilot
Man, oh man. You already heard this, but I want to take your story and tack Karika’s onto the end of it because I think that the two fit perfectly together (and I’m a sucker for circles as much as I’m a sucker for mythology.) I love this story. Honestly, I didn’t expect it to end quite like it did. She did not end up as food, and while she died, she saved countless others in her death. Love. Total Love. I also love how smoothly you describe things. It makes me happy

Favorite Line: “Perhaps if she just closed her eyes...”

@TidalMoonrise
I’m definitely a fan of Middle Earth, and I’m definitely a fan of your poem. It flows very well and I enjoyed the imagery a great deal. The end of time has always been a fascinating thing for me, just like the beginning, and I thoroughly enjoyed the poem.

Favorite Line(s): “The weary sun hangs low, lo, the breaking of the world
when all is turned to stone, stone withers back to dust”

@PixieKnight3264
The use of justification in this poem is fantastic. I love the swaying feeling it gives and the poem flows very well to boot. I like the second stanza the best overall. The wind taunting her is a fantastic touch. Beautiful and haunting… it fits the prompt quite well.

Favorite Line: “A marriage for peace. A life without love.”

@humanityxpeople
Hey! They didn’t die! This short story was excellent. I was on the edge of my seat. I would love to know more about the woman, but, at the same time, I love the mystery about her. Talk about getting in the wrong boat. :D You’re very good at suspense, I must say.

Favorite Line: “In a way, this was exactly how I wanted to go. With the love of my life by my side.”

At that point, I honestly thought they would die. The deception makes this line my favorite.

Winner: @pixieknight3264 – For your creative use of space and the beauty of the poem and the harsh and haunting topic. I give you the crown.

Alternate(s): @Karika/@MyPilot. If Pixieknight does not, for some unforeseeable reason, put out a prompt, you two will just have to come up with one together because I can’t unsee your two stories and one. :D

As I sail down the river of time,
each tree a galaxy, each branch a star,
I search for the hardest things to find--
Serenity and a contented heart.
24g3RZs.png_________f6tJHhG.png9mNFxmr.pngik9FTzc.pngUeE49wQ.png_________24g3RZs.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 91 92