Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Write Away
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 91 92
@Mypilot

“Do you remember when we were kids?” she asked me.
I laughed. “Which part?”
“When we swung on the swings,” she said, a twinkle in her eye.
“That happened a couple of times. At the playground, right?”
“Oh, no. Here, let me draw it.”
I shook my head at her as she turned to ask a volunteer for a piece of paper and crayons. We had been friends for many decades now, having grown up in this tiny town together. I don’t know why she didn’t leave, find somewhere more accepting of her. I didn’t leave because I was scared of everything bigger than me. I suppose we were meant to stay here, together.
After my husband died a few months ago, my three children put me in this home. I didn’t mind. They had their own lives to live; two of them had already shared with me their desire to leave this tiny town. After I was placed here, she checked herself in to keep me company. She had no kids and never had a partner. She didn’t seem to mind, though. In fact, she never expressed a desire for any relationship. She was perfectly happy with her friendship with me, she told me.
The volunteer had given her a piece of paper that had a crease, showing that is was haphazardly folded before. She was also given two crayons, brown and orange. She did not seem displeased by this.
“Here, let me show you what you’ve so obviously forgotten,” she said, half-jokingly. I rolled my eyes playfully before watching attentively as she drew harsh lines on the paper. “Oh, if only I had a canvas,” she murmured to herself. “My oils and brushes.” She had been a wonderful painter, but she stopped once the arthritis set in.
“It that I tree?” I asked her. “It’s quite large.”
“Oh, hush. It should be much larger than that.”
I watched as she drew crooked lines extending from the branch of the tree. She then drew two forms. I recognized one as me as a little girl and the other as her, looking as she did way back then. It surprised me a little, but I knew her art was honest. Though this one did seem quite outlandish.
“How can we be swinging from a tree branch? That doesn’t sound very logical.”
“Hush,” she scolded, covering the paper with more lines. She didn’t take her eyes off her drawing.
“What that?” I asked.
“What’s what?” she asked, darkening her lines.
“That.” I put my finger on her paper, stilling her hand monetarily.
“That’s a waterfall, of course! I’ve never felt so offended in my life.” She put a hand to her chest, feigning hurt.
I chose to ignore that. “A waterfall?” I asked instead, indignant. “There’s no waterfalls here. There’s no way this actually happened.”
“You have no imagination,” she told me, a smirk starting on her lips. She picked up the orange crayon and started filling in the background. The sky, I presumed. “Can you imagine how beautiful this would be as a painting?” she whispered to me.
I nodded. I truly could.
@Mypilot

“Do you remember when we were kids?” she asked me.
I laughed. “Which part?”
“When we swung on the swings,” she said, a twinkle in her eye.
“That happened a couple of times. At the playground, right?”
“Oh, no. Here, let me draw it.”
I shook my head at her as she turned to ask a volunteer for a piece of paper and crayons. We had been friends for many decades now, having grown up in this tiny town together. I don’t know why she didn’t leave, find somewhere more accepting of her. I didn’t leave because I was scared of everything bigger than me. I suppose we were meant to stay here, together.
After my husband died a few months ago, my three children put me in this home. I didn’t mind. They had their own lives to live; two of them had already shared with me their desire to leave this tiny town. After I was placed here, she checked herself in to keep me company. She had no kids and never had a partner. She didn’t seem to mind, though. In fact, she never expressed a desire for any relationship. She was perfectly happy with her friendship with me, she told me.
The volunteer had given her a piece of paper that had a crease, showing that is was haphazardly folded before. She was also given two crayons, brown and orange. She did not seem displeased by this.
“Here, let me show you what you’ve so obviously forgotten,” she said, half-jokingly. I rolled my eyes playfully before watching attentively as she drew harsh lines on the paper. “Oh, if only I had a canvas,” she murmured to herself. “My oils and brushes.” She had been a wonderful painter, but she stopped once the arthritis set in.
“It that I tree?” I asked her. “It’s quite large.”
“Oh, hush. It should be much larger than that.”
I watched as she drew crooked lines extending from the branch of the tree. She then drew two forms. I recognized one as me as a little girl and the other as her, looking as she did way back then. It surprised me a little, but I knew her art was honest. Though this one did seem quite outlandish.
“How can we be swinging from a tree branch? That doesn’t sound very logical.”
“Hush,” she scolded, covering the paper with more lines. She didn’t take her eyes off her drawing.
“What that?” I asked.
“What’s what?” she asked, darkening her lines.
“That.” I put my finger on her paper, stilling her hand monetarily.
“That’s a waterfall, of course! I’ve never felt so offended in my life.” She put a hand to her chest, feigning hurt.
I chose to ignore that. “A waterfall?” I asked instead, indignant. “There’s no waterfalls here. There’s no way this actually happened.”
“You have no imagination,” she told me, a smirk starting on her lips. She picked up the orange crayon and started filling in the background. The sky, I presumed. “Can you imagine how beautiful this would be as a painting?” she whispered to me.
I nodded. I truly could.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
~L. Frank Baum
@MyPilot @TidalMoonrise (I pinged you because this has to do with the story I wrote for the first prompt, I thought you might want to read it. I plan to make every story I write on this thread based off of the first one, so I can ping you for those if you want me to. Sorry if I'm nagging you.)

I sit here, looking out at the horizon and wondering.

Wondering what it would have been like if I didn't leave home.

Or if I didn't attempt suicide.

Or if I hadn't tried that drug, the one that consumed my life.

Or if I hadn't gone to counseling.

Or if the world hadn't ended in my dreams.

Or if I hadn't made her leave me.

But I know all this wondering is futile, because what happened shaped what is, and nothing can change what is. It sit here day after day, night after night, until my fingers cramp from clinging to the ropes, and my mind goes blank from my tears. I don't feel the pull of my sorrow as strongly as I once did, but it's still there, haunting my every thought and emotion.

What if?

And every day as I sit here with the cycles of the celestial bodies, she sits here with me, quite and sad. We don't speak, but there is a mutual understanding of pain. We don't make eye contact, but whenever I look at her, she seems to be gazing at me. The only words she's every said were that I looked like him, and that was it. She reminds me of Maia.

Word count: 209
@MyPilot @TidalMoonrise (I pinged you because this has to do with the story I wrote for the first prompt, I thought you might want to read it. I plan to make every story I write on this thread based off of the first one, so I can ping you for those if you want me to. Sorry if I'm nagging you.)

I sit here, looking out at the horizon and wondering.

Wondering what it would have been like if I didn't leave home.

Or if I didn't attempt suicide.

Or if I hadn't tried that drug, the one that consumed my life.

Or if I hadn't gone to counseling.

Or if the world hadn't ended in my dreams.

Or if I hadn't made her leave me.

But I know all this wondering is futile, because what happened shaped what is, and nothing can change what is. It sit here day after day, night after night, until my fingers cramp from clinging to the ropes, and my mind goes blank from my tears. I don't feel the pull of my sorrow as strongly as I once did, but it's still there, haunting my every thought and emotion.

What if?

And every day as I sit here with the cycles of the celestial bodies, she sits here with me, quite and sad. We don't speak, but there is a mutual understanding of pain. We don't make eye contact, but whenever I look at her, she seems to be gazing at me. The only words she's every said were that I looked like him, and that was it. She reminds me of Maia.

Word count: 209
tumblr_ot0059o4wr1v8lm95o1_r1_100.png hi, i'm may! nice to meet you. feel free to send a PM if you'd like to say hi! WKtl2lb.png
WQA384m.png
ZbNAjCO.png
@MyPilot

“No peeking,” Tyler said again. Pepper could tell the two of them had reached the top of some sort of hill but she wasn’t able to tell what it was made of.

“Tyler. I haven’t peeked the entire way here. Do you really think I’m gonna peek now?” she replied dryly. Tyler rolled his eyes and smiled softly at her. Not that she could see it. He kept a firm grip on both of her hands as she gazed out at the skyline. They needed to be in just the right spot.

“Are we there yet?”

“Almost,” Tyler smirked. “Hold on tight,” he whispered as he let go of her hands.

The ground dropped from under Pepper and she fell through the air for a moment before she could feel something wrap around her. Pepper grabbed what felt like vines as she continued to descend.

“You can open your eyes now,” Tyler said. Pepper’s first act with her now open eyes was to glare at him. He returned the look with his goofy grin.

“Will you stop doing that? Not everyone likes to freefall like you.”

“Well I would beautiful, but it’s the only way I can surprise you. Which isn’t really fair for me,” he replied.

Pepper shrugged, “Not my fault you jump when I walk into the kitchen.”

Tyler stuttered for a response and Pepper took the opportunity to look forward. The golden glow of the sunrise could just be seen peeking over the top of the mountains.

“You woke me up so early for this?”

“Yep.”

“You do realize that we could have stayed in bed and gotten more sleep instead of waking up before the sun? You owe me for this. No one should be up this early,” she grumbled.

“Well you’ve been struggling with that thing for the other thing where you win a prize or something. So I thought this might help you get some inspiration.”

“I’m surprised you were able to remember that much,” she mumbled. “And this does give me an idea,” she sighed as she pulled out a small sketchpad.

Tyler smiled and entwined his swing with Pepper’s so there was now only one between the two of them. “I love you,” he said.

“And surprisingly, I love you too,” she replied, taking a moment to look up from her sketchpad to say it. Tyler smiled and put his arm around her as she went back to sketching.
@MyPilot

“No peeking,” Tyler said again. Pepper could tell the two of them had reached the top of some sort of hill but she wasn’t able to tell what it was made of.

“Tyler. I haven’t peeked the entire way here. Do you really think I’m gonna peek now?” she replied dryly. Tyler rolled his eyes and smiled softly at her. Not that she could see it. He kept a firm grip on both of her hands as she gazed out at the skyline. They needed to be in just the right spot.

“Are we there yet?”

“Almost,” Tyler smirked. “Hold on tight,” he whispered as he let go of her hands.

The ground dropped from under Pepper and she fell through the air for a moment before she could feel something wrap around her. Pepper grabbed what felt like vines as she continued to descend.

“You can open your eyes now,” Tyler said. Pepper’s first act with her now open eyes was to glare at him. He returned the look with his goofy grin.

“Will you stop doing that? Not everyone likes to freefall like you.”

“Well I would beautiful, but it’s the only way I can surprise you. Which isn’t really fair for me,” he replied.

Pepper shrugged, “Not my fault you jump when I walk into the kitchen.”

Tyler stuttered for a response and Pepper took the opportunity to look forward. The golden glow of the sunrise could just be seen peeking over the top of the mountains.

“You woke me up so early for this?”

“Yep.”

“You do realize that we could have stayed in bed and gotten more sleep instead of waking up before the sun? You owe me for this. No one should be up this early,” she grumbled.

“Well you’ve been struggling with that thing for the other thing where you win a prize or something. So I thought this might help you get some inspiration.”

“I’m surprised you were able to remember that much,” she mumbled. “And this does give me an idea,” she sighed as she pulled out a small sketchpad.

Tyler smiled and entwined his swing with Pepper’s so there was now only one between the two of them. “I love you,” he said.

“And surprisingly, I love you too,” she replied, taking a moment to look up from her sketchpad to say it. Tyler smiled and put his arm around her as she went back to sketching.
AVcm6cm.gifSFt2mV6.pngehvITcG.gifAk5NINa.png+1 FR Time
@TidalMoonrise can you ping me when there's another prompt?
@TidalMoonrise can you ping me when there's another prompt?
HKrGNct.pngaeUUUJn.png
@demonslayr62

Hey there! I'm not Tidal, but I figured I could help. =D There's a self editing pinglist right here. I'd add you myself, but I'm stuck on my phone. ^.^;;
@demonslayr62

Hey there! I'm not Tidal, but I figured I could help. =D There's a self editing pinglist right here. I'd add you myself, but I'm stuck on my phone. ^.^;;
VvxoVdD.png iceshieldr.png
Pilot
Tumblr
Lore
|
|
|
FR +0
Wishlist
Library
@Mypilot thank you!
@Mypilot thank you!
HKrGNct.pngaeUUUJn.png
@Chrisondra - I've already said, but this is BEAUTIFUL. I loved each and every stanza! What's really impressive is I actually dislike too much repetition, so it's hard for me to find a sestina I like. But when it's done right, it's done right.

@TidalMoonrise - This was really beautiful and poetic. I loved how creative and unique your idea was! Really, I never would have expected this, but I'm glad you took it this was because your story was a joy to read. =D A sad, yet meaningful, end is always so nice to read.

@Karika - When I was a kid my mom had taken my sister and I out this old bookstore, and we both got books about different Native American stories and myths. This really reminded me of those, and I think you captured the spirit of it quite beautifully!

@coyearth - Just like Tidal, you took the story on a unique trip that I hadn't expected. I like how you didn't reveal who the women were right away, you let their story come out as they told a different one. I also like how you took the picture itself and put it into a story, rather than making a story out of the picture. Craftily done!

@PixieKnight3264 - I love the whimsical feel to your story, how it feels like a small captured moment of a larger tale. Your characters are sweet, and the story itself seems only to verge on the edge of fantasy. You've got growing vines and casual kitchens and just two people who love each other. A very sweet tale.

All in all, I loved every entry! They all fit the image so nicely, and I'm really glad to see where you guys took it. =D That being said, the winners:

Chrisondra took first place with her poem, and Karika is the runner up with her tale of the sun. ^.^
@Chrisondra - I've already said, but this is BEAUTIFUL. I loved each and every stanza! What's really impressive is I actually dislike too much repetition, so it's hard for me to find a sestina I like. But when it's done right, it's done right.

@TidalMoonrise - This was really beautiful and poetic. I loved how creative and unique your idea was! Really, I never would have expected this, but I'm glad you took it this was because your story was a joy to read. =D A sad, yet meaningful, end is always so nice to read.

@Karika - When I was a kid my mom had taken my sister and I out this old bookstore, and we both got books about different Native American stories and myths. This really reminded me of those, and I think you captured the spirit of it quite beautifully!

@coyearth - Just like Tidal, you took the story on a unique trip that I hadn't expected. I like how you didn't reveal who the women were right away, you let their story come out as they told a different one. I also like how you took the picture itself and put it into a story, rather than making a story out of the picture. Craftily done!

@PixieKnight3264 - I love the whimsical feel to your story, how it feels like a small captured moment of a larger tale. Your characters are sweet, and the story itself seems only to verge on the edge of fantasy. You've got growing vines and casual kitchens and just two people who love each other. A very sweet tale.

All in all, I loved every entry! They all fit the image so nicely, and I'm really glad to see where you guys took it. =D That being said, the winners:

Chrisondra took first place with her poem, and Karika is the runner up with her tale of the sun. ^.^
Pilot
Tumblr
Lore
|
|
|
FR +0
Wishlist
Library
Can I be pinged for this?
Can I be pinged for this?
JASPER'S WORDS - A Lore Shop!
@MyPilot

I'm sorry to nag you, but I wasn't pinged in the response? If there's a reason for that, I'm fine with it, but I just wanted to ask.
@MyPilot

I'm sorry to nag you, but I wasn't pinged in the response? If there's a reason for that, I'm fine with it, but I just wanted to ask.
tumblr_ot0059o4wr1v8lm95o1_r1_100.png hi, i'm may! nice to meet you. feel free to send a PM if you'd like to say hi! WKtl2lb.png
WQA384m.png
ZbNAjCO.png
@Lightshadow101

Oh no, I'm so sorry! I wrote it on my phone and must've scrolled past you without meaning to. ^.^;;; But I had read it before picking the winners, I promise! Just forgot to mention you. ;-; I'm sorry again, I'll remember to get everyone next time. o>
@Lightshadow101

Oh no, I'm so sorry! I wrote it on my phone and must've scrolled past you without meaning to. ^.^;;; But I had read it before picking the winners, I promise! Just forgot to mention you. ;-; I'm sorry again, I'll remember to get everyone next time. o>
Pilot
Tumblr
Lore
|
|
|
FR +0
Wishlist
Library
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 91 92