Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Bandanas and Skin Contest
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
@Zrcalo The problem- and one that you know quite well considering that you're a mod on wajas- is that too long without a re-release artificially inflates the value of something.

Games are games, and in general a goal you make, unless it's something absolutely ridiculous like owning all the wealth in a game, should be accessible given enough time and effort. That's design basics 101. This is why Divine and bane tokens are stocked at least once a year, this is why there's recolors or re-releases of items or dyes. Otherwise more of these discontinued items continue to pool with the richer players, leaving the players who are new or for whatever reason aren't up to that level yet... well it discourages them. Then they feel that the game is pay-to-win, and then they paradoxically pay less or not at all into the site.

take games like Aluriya, where the ultra-customized pets were limited to spending 60-100+ dollars and in very limited slots/time periods... and the game suffered horribly. There was a lot of envy and backlash towards people who limited pets. In contrast, on games like Aywas, a truly custom pet is available at many different levels of investment, and there's much less frustration about someone having the Rare Unique Thing, because you can make your own thing with a reasonable bit of work.

They also recognize that Pets That Are Gone Forever are an inherently raw deal to new players, so they have glittering rocks, items that can turn a pet into any site pet, past or current. They tend to go for a nice chunk of change in the user markets, but it makes a large portion of the game pets into a goal, instead of walling them away forever.

That's what I want for the skins, something that can be used to acquire any site skin, past or present. make it cost 650-800 gems, I don't care. Suddenly the site gets to have its' cake and eat it too. They can have their seasonal items, and players have options other than paying more inflated items, which means that players don't feel like gameplay avenues are closed off. Now they don't feel resentment towards a player that might have a 30% markup on a skin, just because that player was in the right place and at the right time.

So there. One less thing to make the community feel toxic, the site owners get their rotation business done, and players have more options. Unless people want a prancing unicorn pony familiar on top of that, I fail to see how anyone would be let down.
@Zrcalo The problem- and one that you know quite well considering that you're a mod on wajas- is that too long without a re-release artificially inflates the value of something.

Games are games, and in general a goal you make, unless it's something absolutely ridiculous like owning all the wealth in a game, should be accessible given enough time and effort. That's design basics 101. This is why Divine and bane tokens are stocked at least once a year, this is why there's recolors or re-releases of items or dyes. Otherwise more of these discontinued items continue to pool with the richer players, leaving the players who are new or for whatever reason aren't up to that level yet... well it discourages them. Then they feel that the game is pay-to-win, and then they paradoxically pay less or not at all into the site.

take games like Aluriya, where the ultra-customized pets were limited to spending 60-100+ dollars and in very limited slots/time periods... and the game suffered horribly. There was a lot of envy and backlash towards people who limited pets. In contrast, on games like Aywas, a truly custom pet is available at many different levels of investment, and there's much less frustration about someone having the Rare Unique Thing, because you can make your own thing with a reasonable bit of work.

They also recognize that Pets That Are Gone Forever are an inherently raw deal to new players, so they have glittering rocks, items that can turn a pet into any site pet, past or current. They tend to go for a nice chunk of change in the user markets, but it makes a large portion of the game pets into a goal, instead of walling them away forever.

That's what I want for the skins, something that can be used to acquire any site skin, past or present. make it cost 650-800 gems, I don't care. Suddenly the site gets to have its' cake and eat it too. They can have their seasonal items, and players have options other than paying more inflated items, which means that players don't feel like gameplay avenues are closed off. Now they don't feel resentment towards a player that might have a 30% markup on a skin, just because that player was in the right place and at the right time.

So there. One less thing to make the community feel toxic, the site owners get their rotation business done, and players have more options. Unless people want a prancing unicorn pony familiar on top of that, I fail to see how anyone would be let down.
Congrats to the winners! C:

I'm kinda happy I don't really care about skins, so I don't mind they will be retired. Skins are a bit too expensive to me anyway (though, I can understand why they are) and I rather spend my gems on genes and apparel. I need to think about buying the Indigo skin though haha, as I personally always liked it quite a lot. xD
Congrats to the winners! C:

I'm kinda happy I don't really care about skins, so I don't mind they will be retired. Skins are a bit too expensive to me anyway (though, I can understand why they are) and I rather spend my gems on genes and apparel. I need to think about buying the Indigo skin though haha, as I personally always liked it quite a lot. xD
ShDdjsG.gif ---
H I D D E N • S A N C T U M
pV7y7eJ.png
"I circle around God, around the ancient tower,
and I have circled for thousands of years ..."
@conium
"The problem- and one that you know quite well considering that you're a mod on wajas- is that too long without a re-release artificially inflates the value of something."

I'm not a mod on wajas, and was never a mod on wajas. And I never want to become a mod on wajas. After how I was treated, I will never work for that site again.

Also, I'm not saying they shouldnt re-release the items later down the road once the prices have overinflated. All I'm saying is that it's VERY GOOD to cycle through items and retire items, so they can retain their value.
@conium
"The problem- and one that you know quite well considering that you're a mod on wajas- is that too long without a re-release artificially inflates the value of something."

I'm not a mod on wajas, and was never a mod on wajas. And I never want to become a mod on wajas. After how I was treated, I will never work for that site again.

Also, I'm not saying they shouldnt re-release the items later down the road once the prices have overinflated. All I'm saying is that it's VERY GOOD to cycle through items and retire items, so they can retain their value.
maekbabby.pngskinz.pngartbutton.giftumblrbutton.jpgdimensionriders2.png
But I recall that you were on staff... I remember that you were feather'd.

See, retire means permanent, cycle out? No I'm all for that, as long as there are other means to get them later, but retirement? It's a common mistake that petsites make, and I don't want this place to be one of them. And it really sounds like the site's making this mistake right now. I'm glad that they're giving more time, but there should be a long-term solution set in place.
But I recall that you were on staff... I remember that you were feather'd.

See, retire means permanent, cycle out? No I'm all for that, as long as there are other means to get them later, but retirement? It's a common mistake that petsites make, and I don't want this place to be one of them. And it really sounds like the site's making this mistake right now. I'm glad that they're giving more time, but there should be a long-term solution set in place.
Huh. I guess I didn't realize that the user skins would be sold for gems. I figured it would've been treasure.

My guy found a bandana in a chest yesterday before the news post. He got a "Chest from the FUTURE" or something :)
Huh. I guess I didn't realize that the user skins would be sold for gems. I figured it would've been treasure.

My guy found a bandana in a chest yesterday before the news post. He got a "Chest from the FUTURE" or something :)
1kz7OWt.png
[quote name="Undel" date="2013-09-10 00:17:33"]Extending the window on the skin retirement to a month and a half instead of 2 weeks. Skins need to leave the shop. If you could see the que of skins that we have lined up, there simply won't be room to do repeats unless we stop making new skins and have a largely static, cycling stock. The amount of skins we accepted (and COULD have accepted) was pretty high, and that's awesome! Having a lot of variety in our skins shop is great for the artists, the site, and the players who want choices. (Perhaps not so great for collectors.) While there's a log for familiars, there will never be a log or tracking/check-off system for skins if that's a concern.[/quote] So.. you dont need to cycle them in all the time and at the same time. You can sporadically cycle some of the retired skins in. Hell you can even add them as a rare or super rare drop in one of the higher level chest. I might sound crude but I am not buying this explanation. Not to mention its even more unfair for the people that have not even been able to sign up yet during this whole "release"debacle. They will never even be able to get the skins.
Undel wrote on 2013-09-10 00:17:33:
Extending the window on the skin retirement to a month and a half instead of 2 weeks.

Skins need to leave the shop. If you could see the que of skins that we have lined up, there simply won't be room to do repeats unless we stop making new skins and have a largely static, cycling stock. The amount of skins we accepted (and COULD have accepted) was pretty high, and that's awesome! Having a lot of variety in our skins shop is great for the artists, the site, and the players who want choices. (Perhaps not so great for collectors.)

While there's a log for familiars, there will never be a log or tracking/check-off system for skins if that's a concern.

So.. you dont need to cycle them in all the time and at the same time. You can sporadically cycle some of the retired skins in.

Hell you can even add them as a rare or super rare drop in one of the higher level chest.

I might sound crude but I am not buying this explanation.
Not to mention its even more unfair for the people that have not even been able to sign up yet during this whole "release"debacle. They will never even be able to get the skins.
CrystalforestBanner_zps9da0837a-1.png
I'd hate to see how you people will act when a dragon is retired. If and when one is anyway. The thing is, nobody will buy stuff if there are TOO MANY OPTIONS. Especially if they know it will be there forever.
I'd hate to see how you people will act when a dragon is retired. If and when one is anyway. The thing is, nobody will buy stuff if there are TOO MANY OPTIONS. Especially if they know it will be there forever.
tumblr_ndzarciqjc1si697do1_500_by_zalcoti-d9lh63v.png
[quote name="Zapydos2" date="2013-09-10 07:11:55"]I'd hate to see how you people will act when a dragon is retired. If and when one is anyway. The thing is, nobody will buy stuff if there are TOO MANY OPTIONS. Especially if they know it will be there forever.[/quote] LOL a dragon was already retired. Imperials. you can only breed for one. @conium retired doesnt mean "gone forever" it just means no longer constantly available. You can still get retired items on neopets through different events. Retired does NOT mean "gone forever". also I was a site artist there. completely volunteer position. I had no say in anything that went on there. I just made artwork and hoped it was released. edit: Also! after reading undel's post... if ALL skins are retired and never re-released, that means they wont become as expensive as we'd expect. So, if you see a skin you like, buy it. that's it. If you miss it, buy a different one and trade your way up. All the skins will be retired, so they'll all be valueable.
Zapydos2 wrote on 2013-09-10 07:11:55:

LOL a dragon was already retired. Imperials. you can only breed for one.

@conium
retired doesnt mean "gone forever" it just means no longer constantly available. You can still get retired items on neopets through different events. Retired does NOT mean "gone forever".

also I was a site artist there. completely volunteer position. I had no say in anything that went on there. I just made artwork and hoped it was released.

edit:
Also! after reading undel's post... if ALL skins are retired and never re-released, that means they wont become as expensive as we'd expect. So, if you see a skin you like, buy it. that's it. If you miss it, buy a different one and trade your way up. All the skins will be retired, so they'll all be valueable.
maekbabby.pngskinz.pngartbutton.giftumblrbutton.jpgdimensionriders2.png
The site is new, but once you realize the incredible volume of talent we have around here, trying to collect every single skin that will ever come out without spending Real Money just sounds... infeasible.
The site is new, but once you realize the incredible volume of talent we have around here, trying to collect every single skin that will ever come out without spending Real Money just sounds... infeasible.
tumblr_msqm7ehUww1qan1cto1_250.gif
breathes heavily i need these but i am broke

and congrats everyone!! uvu
breathes heavily i need these but i am broke

and congrats everyone!! uvu
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8