Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | A trans* NPC!
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16
What about a gender change scroll that allows dragons to change back and forth between genders at will? It would give the option of a sort of third gender, gender fluid, and you could certainly change a dragon's gender once and thereafter leave it. I don't think that would just be a token, I think it's something everybody could use in their breeding programs if they wanted to. Maybe a certain small percentage of dragons could be born with fluid gender, they would always have that option without having to purchase a scroll for them.

What about a gender change scroll that allows dragons to change back and forth between genders at will? It would give the option of a sort of third gender, gender fluid, and you could certainly change a dragon's gender once and thereafter leave it. I don't think that would just be a token, I think it's something everybody could use in their breeding programs if they wanted to. Maybe a certain small percentage of dragons could be born with fluid gender, they would always have that option without having to purchase a scroll for them.

@skai Ah, I see. Yeah, typing trans* makes sense in that context. :)
@skai Ah, I see. Yeah, typing trans* makes sense in that context. :)
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
At this point in time I think introducing a transgender NPC would not be a good move for the same reasons Koneko and Azophel have mentioned.

However in the future I think a transgender NPC would be a lovely addition, especially if it could be worked in with the gender change scroll idea. Perhaps in the future if the NPC is added then they could be a quest giver (I want you to do x in exchange for y) and one of the rewards could be the gender change scroll.
At this point in time I think introducing a transgender NPC would not be a good move for the same reasons Koneko and Azophel have mentioned.

However in the future I think a transgender NPC would be a lovely addition, especially if it could be worked in with the gender change scroll idea. Perhaps in the future if the NPC is added then they could be a quest giver (I want you to do x in exchange for y) and one of the rewards could be the gender change scroll.
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
@Sunpumpkin
Something similar to this was suggested earlier in the thread, and while I like them both in terms of mechanics, this is a whole other topic that has had threads of its own, without the pretense of representing trans* people. The idea of swapping sexes is a common trope in media that usually comes with cissexist connotations that conflate sex and gender, often going so far as to completely change the person's personality to stereotypically reflect their changed junk. It is one of the less trans*-friendly tropes out there.
While it does allow for people to create technically trans* dragons (not that they couldn't already exist,) the average user won't think of that. This isn't quite what I'm looking for when I ask for visibility, but I encourage you to hunt down the other threads that mention a gender-changing scroll! (It shouldn't be too far back in the forum. I'm pretty sure I saw one a few days ago.)
@Sunpumpkin
Something similar to this was suggested earlier in the thread, and while I like them both in terms of mechanics, this is a whole other topic that has had threads of its own, without the pretense of representing trans* people. The idea of swapping sexes is a common trope in media that usually comes with cissexist connotations that conflate sex and gender, often going so far as to completely change the person's personality to stereotypically reflect their changed junk. It is one of the less trans*-friendly tropes out there.
While it does allow for people to create technically trans* dragons (not that they couldn't already exist,) the average user won't think of that. This isn't quite what I'm looking for when I ask for visibility, but I encourage you to hunt down the other threads that mention a gender-changing scroll! (It shouldn't be too far back in the forum. I'm pretty sure I saw one a few days ago.)
I removed this post because of the bullying and hate i was receiving from a community i am part of. As an lgbt member, human being on this planet, and a victim of abuse; i feel the need to pull myself away from this thread with its bullying members.
I removed this post because of the bullying and hate i was receiving from a community i am part of. As an lgbt member, human being on this planet, and a victim of abuse; i feel the need to pull myself away from this thread with its bullying members.
Removed in the interest of protecting myself from further abuse.

I have retained a copy of both my messages for examination if staff requires it.
Removed in the interest of protecting myself from further abuse.

I have retained a copy of both my messages for examination if staff requires it.
[quote]This site is a gaming and casual forum type site. It centers a large part of that around breeding. It is basic biology that you need opposing reproductive organs and genetalia to make this happen. When one undergoes biological reassignment, they can no longer breed. So this would require a lot of extra coding to account for dragons who can longer breed.[/quote] The topic has been about adding a trans* character to the site, not completely revamping the coding to allow for game-made trans* dragons. This is indeed a website about breeding, and no one's calling for structural changes to the breeding system to suit trans* wishes. The OP was asking for a trans* character. As it is, the building blocks to dragons of different gender identities or sexual preferences are already laid out: for example, just because a male dragon is capable of breeding with a female dragon after cooldown does not mean that he cannot be a gay character if the player chooses not to breed him (or even if they do! It depends on the character's story and/or how canon the player considers onsite activity). [quote]The fact remains however, this site and story and idea belong to a group of people, and you're attempting to bully them to change it instead of peacefully offering suggestions for down the road. But this thread keeps dissolving into arguments. I wouldn't mind seeing an NPC down the line who had a backstory that's complicated by the problems lgbt members face.[/quote] First point: no one's bullying the admins to add a trans* character. I don't believe I've seen anyone scream or threaten about adding one. The only aggressive behavior has been toward Thrage, and has had nothing to do with this thread, and isn't even present on it. Adding a trans* character is a suggestion, and this is the Suggestions area of the site, thus where it would go. Second: This is just personal preference here, but I highly dislike characters whose character revolves around their identity. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I prefer when a character is a character first, just like my life is not characterized by the fact that I am trans*. The character doesn't need a "backstory that's complicated by the problems lgbt members face." The character just needs to be trans*. It's honestly that simple. (That is, assuming one was added. My thoughts on why this isn't the right time and that the character would need to be thought through sensitively were already posted.) Third: The thread dissolves into disagreements when insulting or ignorant statements about trans* people are stated, such as equating trans* with "inappropriate content not fit for children" or trying to state that trans* = sexual identity. Those comments are incorrect, hurtful, and rude, and they should be corrected. I'll end this post with more kudos toward the idea of having an already existing character mentioned to be trans* in passing. I still think that's a lovely idea, as it doesn't feel like "this trans* character was made to be trans*," and best implemented when the heat of the current situation has passed.
Quote:
This site is a gaming and casual forum type site. It centers a large part of that around breeding. It is basic biology that you need opposing reproductive organs and genetalia to make this happen. When one undergoes biological reassignment, they can no longer breed. So this would require a lot of extra coding to account for dragons who can longer breed.

The topic has been about adding a trans* character to the site, not completely revamping the coding to allow for game-made trans* dragons. This is indeed a website about breeding, and no one's calling for structural changes to the breeding system to suit trans* wishes. The OP was asking for a trans* character.

As it is, the building blocks to dragons of different gender identities or sexual preferences are already laid out: for example, just because a male dragon is capable of breeding with a female dragon after cooldown does not mean that he cannot be a gay character if the player chooses not to breed him (or even if they do! It depends on the character's story and/or how canon the player considers onsite activity).
Quote:
The fact remains however, this site and story and idea belong to a group of people, and you're attempting to bully them to change it instead of peacefully offering suggestions for down the road. But this thread keeps dissolving into arguments. I wouldn't mind seeing an NPC down the line who had a backstory that's complicated by the problems lgbt members face.

First point: no one's bullying the admins to add a trans* character. I don't believe I've seen anyone scream or threaten about adding one. The only aggressive behavior has been toward Thrage, and has had nothing to do with this thread, and isn't even present on it. Adding a trans* character is a suggestion, and this is the Suggestions area of the site, thus where it would go.

Second: This is just personal preference here, but I highly dislike characters whose character revolves around their identity. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I prefer when a character is a character first, just like my life is not characterized by the fact that I am trans*. The character doesn't need a "backstory that's complicated by the problems lgbt members face." The character just needs to be trans*. It's honestly that simple.

(That is, assuming one was added. My thoughts on why this isn't the right time and that the character would need to be thought through sensitively were already posted.)

Third: The thread dissolves into disagreements when insulting or ignorant statements about trans* people are stated, such as equating trans* with "inappropriate content not fit for children" or trying to state that trans* = sexual identity. Those comments are incorrect, hurtful, and rude, and they should be corrected.

I'll end this post with more kudos toward the idea of having an already existing character mentioned to be trans* in passing. I still think that's a lovely idea, as it doesn't feel like "this trans* character was made to be trans*," and best implemented when the heat of the current situation has passed.
maybe a non-binary trans (neutrois or agender etc.) character? uw u would be kinda cute on a site about breeding, after all.
... maybe i just want representation for my identity hahaha
maybe a non-binary trans (neutrois or agender etc.) character? uw u would be kinda cute on a site about breeding, after all.
... maybe i just want representation for my identity hahaha
tumblr_inline_nfx6k97Ndt1r6zydg.png
@Wynn I'm not going to address all of the derailing, condescending, and tone policing things you said, but I will tell you that the topic itself did NOT shift. I reworded my post to clarify what I wanted out of this thread. This thread is about, and always WAS about, a trans NPC, and ideas for how one would be implemented. The title has gone unchanged. It is others who brought the topic off-track.
@Wynn I'm not going to address all of the derailing, condescending, and tone policing things you said, but I will tell you that the topic itself did NOT shift. I reworded my post to clarify what I wanted out of this thread. This thread is about, and always WAS about, a trans NPC, and ideas for how one would be implemented. The title has gone unchanged. It is others who brought the topic off-track.
@Rowan Ahaha, I feel you there. I was thinking earlier about a Ridgeback who filed down their nose, as well as all of the spikes along their spine, to present as something totally neutral and removed from gender.
@Rowan Ahaha, I feel you there. I was thinking earlier about a Ridgeback who filed down their nose, as well as all of the spikes along their spine, to present as something totally neutral and removed from gender.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16