Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Font accessibility toggle
1 2 3 4
Forcing site font onto things should take the font that is visible and make it neutral site font.
Forcing site font onto things should take the font that is visible and make it neutral site font.
If having "text difficult for others to read" is already against the rules, perhaps that should be more clearly defined, so we can know when it's reportable? #010101 font color instead of #000000 is probably not unreadable for most people, but #F7F7F7 probably is.

I've been wanting this kind of toggle for ages, though, and it'd solve the problem pretty well! Even larger fonts than usual are kind of annoying to me.
If having "text difficult for others to read" is already against the rules, perhaps that should be more clearly defined, so we can know when it's reportable? #010101 font color instead of #000000 is probably not unreadable for most people, but #F7F7F7 probably is.

I've been wanting this kind of toggle for ages, though, and it'd solve the problem pretty well! Even larger fonts than usual are kind of annoying to me.
[quote name="TephroTurtle" date="2023-02-06 11:42:46" ] If having "text difficult for others to read" is already against the rules, perhaps that should be more clearly defined, so we can know when it's reportable? #010101 font color instead of #000000 is probably not unreadable for most people, but #F7F7F7 probably is. I've been wanting this kind of toggle for ages, though, and it'd solve the problem pretty well! Even larger fonts than usual are kind of annoying to me. [/quote] The problem with this as others have stated is that there are some things reported that are indicated as "fine" that are still not fine for certain users. An example is mod text. Basically everyone can read that. I can't. Even the mods themselves will say the font color is fine. This is why I suggested a toggle. Edit edit Also I just noticed the quoting system does exactly what I'm talking about right here. Notice how it is no longer white! It doesn't show all the coding either.
TephroTurtle wrote on 2023-02-06 11:42:46:

The problem with this as others have stated is that there are some things reported that are indicated as "fine" that are still not fine for certain users.

An example is mod text. Basically everyone can read that. I can't. Even the mods themselves will say the font color is fine.

This is why I suggested a toggle.

Edit edit
Also I just noticed the quoting system does exactly what I'm talking about right here. Notice how it is no longer white! It doesn't show all the coding either.
you should absolutely be able to toggle this. it seems like the rule about this is very arbitrary and subjective as i've reported posts that have caused intense eye strain for me and nothing was done about them. the forums can be so taxing sometimes if you have sensitive eyes or are prone to headaches/migraines. [quote name="TephroTurtle" date="2023-02-06 11:42:46" ] If having "text difficult for others to read" is already against the rules, perhaps that should be more clearly defined, so we can know when it's reportable? #010101 font color instead of #000000 is probably not unreadable for most people, but #F7F7F7 probably is.[/quote] agree with this as well.
you should absolutely be able to toggle this. it seems like the rule about this is very arbitrary and subjective as i've reported posts that have caused intense eye strain for me and nothing was done about them. the forums can be so taxing sometimes if you have sensitive eyes or are prone to headaches/migraines.
TephroTurtle wrote on 2023-02-06 11:42:46:

agree with this as well.
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
Full support for a toggle (or maybe multiple) that lets the folks adjust all site-wide text to a default formatting that is readable for 99% of players. (maybe another toggle to load in gifs as static images to make that part of the forums more bearable as well). If the forums and flightrising are supposed to be accessible to all then there need to be improvements on this.
It shouldn't be down to users always having to report posts, or worse still user profiles, just because they're not readable. Sending a report in costs valuable time for everyone and sometimes reports don't lead to change if the person reviewing the report decides it's okay for them while the person reporting it may have issues with it still.
Plus reporting anything on user profiles or in user lairs/dens is a hassle bc there's no direct report button.
And as said above the guidelines for what's readable or not are rather vague bc it's all a subjective experience based on everyone having different eyesight. So if that guideline can't be improved at least let people make posts readable for themselves.

Make it an opt-in set of toggles so those who can read posts just fine don't have to worry about anything changing and then there shouldn't even be anything to not support about this change.
Full support for a toggle (or maybe multiple) that lets the folks adjust all site-wide text to a default formatting that is readable for 99% of players. (maybe another toggle to load in gifs as static images to make that part of the forums more bearable as well). If the forums and flightrising are supposed to be accessible to all then there need to be improvements on this.
It shouldn't be down to users always having to report posts, or worse still user profiles, just because they're not readable. Sending a report in costs valuable time for everyone and sometimes reports don't lead to change if the person reviewing the report decides it's okay for them while the person reporting it may have issues with it still.
Plus reporting anything on user profiles or in user lairs/dens is a hassle bc there's no direct report button.
And as said above the guidelines for what's readable or not are rather vague bc it's all a subjective experience based on everyone having different eyesight. So if that guideline can't be improved at least let people make posts readable for themselves.

Make it an opt-in set of toggles so those who can read posts just fine don't have to worry about anything changing and then there shouldn't even be anything to not support about this change.
tumblr_inline_pstgarDqq51tc3swm_75sq.png tumblr_inline_pstgas05kl1tc3swm_75sq.pngzuKl4tj.pngtumblr_inline_p409qnf9Wx1tc3swm_540.pngtumblr_inline_p40r5mKIGh1tc3swm_540.png tumblr_inline_p3ylp2Quz91tc3swm_540.pngsmolsnek.png y6Tz96p.png lM0v4sB.pnge303f6ae-68b9-11eb-b911-5de944b9d8e8.gif
i’m in full support of this. a lot of my lair consists of bright and colorful text, and it can be hard for players who aren’t dyslexic/colorblind (like myself! i am a very counterproductive person and i made my entire lair a bit tricky for even myself to read,,,,,). i would hate for people to not be able to read my lair bio, or the rules to my shops. i set it as these bright colors for the aesthetic, and though i don’t plan on changing it, i would like the option to be able to turn it off.

however, a counter argument for this is bio formatting - specifically with the transparent text. many bio formats use [.color=transparent] for spacing, and being able to turn off fancy colors and texts could reveal this, which could make bios a lot harder to read.
i’m in full support of this. a lot of my lair consists of bright and colorful text, and it can be hard for players who aren’t dyslexic/colorblind (like myself! i am a very counterproductive person and i made my entire lair a bit tricky for even myself to read,,,,,). i would hate for people to not be able to read my lair bio, or the rules to my shops. i set it as these bright colors for the aesthetic, and though i don’t plan on changing it, i would like the option to be able to turn it off.

however, a counter argument for this is bio formatting - specifically with the transparent text. many bio formats use [.color=transparent] for spacing, and being able to turn off fancy colors and texts could reveal this, which could make bios a lot harder to read.
///////// //
c a r r o t
he / him | FR + 3
art shop | skinshop
the arcade | aesthetic rising
ezgif-2-62fb54da77.gif
[quote name="decomposedcarrot" date="2023-02-10 06:19:20" ] however, a counter argument for this is bio formatting - specifically with the transparent text. many bio formats use [.color=transparent] for spacing, and being able to turn off fancy colors and texts could reveal this, which could make bios a lot harder to read. [/quote] If the quote can turn off coding without showing it, then I'm sure flight rising can manage. Code excluding formatting is a thing. Another site called chicken smoothie does this with no problem. All transparent text remains transparent.
decomposedcarrot wrote on 2023-02-10 06:19:20:

If the quote can turn off coding without showing it, then I'm sure flight rising can manage.

Code excluding formatting is a thing.

Another site called chicken smoothie does this with no problem. All transparent text remains transparent.
1 2 3 4