Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Font accessibility toggle
1 2 3 4
@NatashaRomanov oh no i wasn't saying YOU were saying that, i was just pointing that out that sometimes people do things because they dont even think about it being potentially inaccessible but that doesnt necessarily come from a place of intolerance as some might gather, so i apologize! also i apologize for the graphic - i dont think it's entirely accurate but it's the one i had on hand because it's the most simplistic! this other image i'm posting might hurt your eyes i apologize in advance but i thought it was another good explanation of contrast/visibility - i'm trying to push it down enough where you can avoid it (good god how many times can i apologize in one reply) [rule] [rule] [rule] [img]https://cultureconnectme.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/color-contrast-2.jpg[/img] [img]https://opentextbc.ca/accessibilitytoolkit/wp-content/uploads/sites/94/2015/02/colour-contrast-egs.jpg[/img] the one on the left is the version of post i see so often - a white/light background with a font that is only a scarce few shades darker than it to the point of difficulty reading. and while i can read it, it would certainly present a problem to others
@NatashaRomanov oh no i wasn't saying YOU were saying that, i was just pointing that out that sometimes people do things because they dont even think about it being potentially inaccessible but that doesnt necessarily come from a place of intolerance as some might gather, so i apologize! also i apologize for the graphic - i dont think it's entirely accurate but it's the one i had on hand because it's the most simplistic!

this other image i'm posting might hurt your eyes i apologize in advance but i thought it was another good explanation of contrast/visibility - i'm trying to push it down enough where you can avoid it (good god how many times can i apologize in one reply)

color-contrast-2.jpg

colour-contrast-egs.jpg
the one on the left is the version of post i see so often - a white/light background with a font that is only a scarce few shades darker than it to the point of difficulty reading. and while i can read it, it would certainly present a problem to others
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2023-02-05 05:40:02" ] i feel like if you're posting on a public forum then your posts being actually readable should be more prioritized than your aesthetic yes people have a right with the tools fr provides to make their posts pretty and personalized, but you also have to understand that others will be reading this, and struggling to do so if you use a hex code for your text that is 2 shades away from being basically white on white - like great aesthetic but there are such things as dark pastels... [s]light dusty rose and light antique white don't even look good in a white text box and i'm not sure how you could think that[/s] i wouldnt go so far to say these people are being purposely ableist, but a significant number of people do not understand how graphic design works in terms of what colors work best on what backgrounds -- (it's also a significant problem i see on tumblr and in people's carrds because they don't think "is this information actually parsable to those i expect/demand to read it?" because frankly if i cant read it, [i]i[/i] dont care what you have to say because [i]you[/i] dont care if its actually readable) [img]https://www.thoughtco.com/thmb/V-lOukUT4Wd9BI-vAq_GX5ZoCtI=/1500x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Color-Contrast-Chart-59091b973df78c9283e31928.jpg[/img] although for this image i'm a bit skeptical of white font/yellow background being a good combination i also understand they're using a bare bones metric for what counts as visibility - is it pleasant to look at, no. is it readable, yes. [/quote] Yeah, I am skeptical of that image as well, because black on gray is 'poor', when that is typically the color combos I prefer, because it is easiest on my eyes. That white on yellow, I can't even SEE there is a word in there.... So more than one word there i probably would just skip and go on with my day. but, I support this. There are a couple of choices that are still readable, but my brain just goes 'nope not going to read it'. If I concentrate on it, I can easily read it, but they are just font/color combos that my brain doesn't want to deal with.
hungryhobbits wrote on 2023-02-05 05:40:02:
i feel like if you're posting on a public forum then your posts being actually readable should be more prioritized than your aesthetic

yes people have a right with the tools fr provides to make their posts pretty and personalized, but you also have to understand that others will be reading this, and struggling to do so if you use a hex code for your text that is 2 shades away from being basically white on white - like great aesthetic but there are such things as dark pastels... light dusty rose and light antique white don't even look good in a white text box and i'm not sure how you could think that

i wouldnt go so far to say these people are being purposely ableist, but a significant number of people do not understand how graphic design works in terms of what colors work best on what backgrounds -- (it's also a significant problem i see on tumblr and in people's carrds because they don't think "is this information actually parsable to those i expect/demand to read it?" because frankly if i cant read it, i dont care what you have to say because you dont care if its actually readable)

Color-Contrast-Chart-59091b973df78c9283e31928.jpg

although for this image i'm a bit skeptical of white font/yellow background being a good combination i also understand they're using a bare bones metric for what counts as visibility - is it pleasant to look at, no. is it readable, yes.
Yeah, I am skeptical of that image as well, because black on gray is 'poor', when that is typically the color combos I prefer, because it is easiest on my eyes. That white on yellow, I can't even SEE there is a word in there.... So more than one word there i probably would just skip and go on with my day.

but, I support this. There are a couple of choices that are still readable, but my brain just goes 'nope not going to read it'. If I concentrate on it, I can easily read it, but they are just font/color combos that my brain doesn't want to deal with.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I understand what you're trying to do here with the graphics but I can't believe this is even necessary when the bottom line is that everyone is different and the mods will not know what harms me, and I know there will be things I report that will be declared as fine when they are not.

It's why I need the toggle. I'm sorry mods I just need it. I don't want to go through the effort of reporting everything I find when that really shouldn't be necessary. It doesn't help that the mod text is also hard on me to a point of near unbearable and that's MOD TEXT.
I understand what you're trying to do here with the graphics but I can't believe this is even necessary when the bottom line is that everyone is different and the mods will not know what harms me, and I know there will be things I report that will be declared as fine when they are not.

It's why I need the toggle. I'm sorry mods I just need it. I don't want to go through the effort of reporting everything I find when that really shouldn't be necessary. It doesn't help that the mod text is also hard on me to a point of near unbearable and that's MOD TEXT.
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2023-02-05 05:40:02" ] i wouldnt go so far to say these people are being purposely ableist, but a significant number of people do not understand how graphic design works in terms of what colors work best on what backgrounds -- (it's also a significant problem i see on tumblr and in people's carrds because they don't think "is this information actually parsable to those i expect/demand to read it?" because frankly if i cant read it, [i]i[/i] dont care what you have to say because [i]you[/i] dont care if its actually readable) [/quote] People that make their posts spiffy with color and whatnot are not ableist, and I don't think it's fair to even suggest it is potentially accidentally ableist. They're doing something they think looks good, and that doesn't mean they're somehow ableist because someone else can't read it. I am colorblind and many people on this site have breeding cards that I struggle to actually read (and I know the same-color ones aren't just ones I struggle with personally either). Does that make them accidentally ableist for not catering to me in particular? Not at all. Not everyone is a graphic designer, and they go with what looks right to them specifically. It doesn't suggest anything other than they can read it. It also doesn't mean they don't care if you can read it. In general, I imagine people very much do care if you can read it because everyone likes to be heard. In the cases of hatcheries, that's how you make sales. Lack of knowledge in a particular subject or field isn't something that is usually done intentionally. Especially in this case, as we have graphic designers for a reason. It's not a bad thing to want to learn how to do it in your own, either. We're all different and see things differently than one another. NatashaRomanov and I, for example, likely don't even see color the same even if we have the same blindness because sight isn't just one size fits all. Big fonts, for me, can be helpful but might be painful for them. Small fonts are hell for me but might be wonderful for them. Aesthetic generally isn't made in ill intent. That aside, I do think a setting which toggles font, size, and/or colored text off across the site is a great option to have nonetheless. As mentioned, we're not all the same and some things are more easily readable to some than others. Not everything is bad enough to where people should know, and clearly many wouldn't otherwise know without staff's word on the matter. This won't fix graphics but at least it is something for those of us who can't read certain posts.
hungryhobbits wrote on 2023-02-05 05:40:02:
i wouldnt go so far to say these people are being purposely ableist, but a significant number of people do not understand how graphic design works in terms of what colors work best on what backgrounds -- (it's also a significant problem i see on tumblr and in people's carrds because they don't think "is this information actually parsable to those i expect/demand to read it?" because frankly if i cant read it, i dont care what you have to say because you dont care if its actually readable)

People that make their posts spiffy with color and whatnot are not ableist, and I don't think it's fair to even suggest it is potentially accidentally ableist. They're doing something they think looks good, and that doesn't mean they're somehow ableist because someone else can't read it. I am colorblind and many people on this site have breeding cards that I struggle to actually read (and I know the same-color ones aren't just ones I struggle with personally either). Does that make them accidentally ableist for not catering to me in particular? Not at all. Not everyone is a graphic designer, and they go with what looks right to them specifically. It doesn't suggest anything other than they can read it.

It also doesn't mean they don't care if you can read it. In general, I imagine people very much do care if you can read it because everyone likes to be heard. In the cases of hatcheries, that's how you make sales. Lack of knowledge in a particular subject or field isn't something that is usually done intentionally. Especially in this case, as we have graphic designers for a reason. It's not a bad thing to want to learn how to do it in your own, either.

We're all different and see things differently than one another. NatashaRomanov and I, for example, likely don't even see color the same even if we have the same blindness because sight isn't just one size fits all. Big fonts, for me, can be helpful but might be painful for them. Small fonts are hell for me but might be wonderful for them. Aesthetic generally isn't made in ill intent.

That aside, I do think a setting which toggles font, size, and/or colored text off across the site is a great option to have nonetheless. As mentioned, we're not all the same and some things are more easily readable to some than others. Not everything is bad enough to where people should know, and clearly many wouldn't otherwise know without staff's word on the matter. This won't fix graphics but at least it is something for those of us who can't read certain posts.
@Lykos if you read my reply to op you would see that i already addressed what you said in the first paragraph [quote=hungryhobbits] i was just pointing that out that sometimes people do things because they dont even think about it being potentially inaccessible but that doesnt necessarily come from a place of intolerance as some might gather, so i apologize![/quote] i'm pro toggle, but i think this could also be used as an educational conversation because while having a toggle for forums is great, that also still leaves the fact that a significant amount of dragon bios and user profiles are also inaccessible due to conflicting aesthetics for instance there's no option to stop autoplaying gifs, i've encountered lair profiles with flashing/strobing gifs for their eyestrainers that for photosensitive people could cause migraines or even seizures. that could also use a toggle option.
@Lykos if you read my reply to op you would see that i already addressed what you said in the first paragraph
hungryhobbits wrote:
i was just pointing that out that sometimes people do things because they dont even think about it being potentially inaccessible but that doesnt necessarily come from a place of intolerance as some might gather, so i apologize!

i'm pro toggle, but i think this could also be used as an educational conversation because while having a toggle for forums is great, that also still leaves the fact that a significant amount of dragon bios and user profiles are also inaccessible due to conflicting aesthetics

for instance there's no option to stop autoplaying gifs, i've encountered lair profiles with flashing/strobing gifs for their eyestrainers that for photosensitive people could cause migraines or even seizures. that could also use a toggle option.
41328.png -
Candy Coated Dragons
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2023-02-05 07:54:13" ] @Lykos if you read my reply to op you would see that i already addressed what you said in the first paragraph [quote=hungryhobbits] i was just pointing that out that sometimes people do things because they dont even think about it being potentially inaccessible but that doesnt necessarily come from a place of intolerance as some might gather, so i apologize![/quote] i'm pro toggle, but i think this could also be used as an educational conversation because while having a toggle for forums is great, that also still leaves the fact that a significant amount of dragon bios and user profiles are also inaccessible due to conflicting aesthetics for instance there's no option to stop autoplaying gifs, i've encountered lair profiles with flashing/strobing gifs for their eyestrainers that for photosensitive people could cause migraines or even seizures. that could also use a toggle option. [/quote] This is why I said across site. Just. Turn EVERYTHING to default. The gifs being paused would also be really nice, I've ran across some painful gifs too. But I wasn't sure what to do with that. Editing to add that a lot of my problems stem from a kind of epilepsy, and I really can't control it. I didn't want to mention it for fear of being ridiculed but I guess I'll do so.
hungryhobbits wrote on 2023-02-05 07:54:13:
@Lykos if you read my reply to op you would see that i already addressed what you said in the first paragraph
hungryhobbits wrote:
i was just pointing that out that sometimes people do things because they dont even think about it being potentially inaccessible but that doesnt necessarily come from a place of intolerance as some might gather, so i apologize!

i'm pro toggle, but i think this could also be used as an educational conversation because while having a toggle for forums is great, that also still leaves the fact that a significant amount of dragon bios and user profiles are also inaccessible due to conflicting aesthetics

for instance there's no option to stop autoplaying gifs, i've encountered lair profiles with flashing/strobing gifs for their eyestrainers that for photosensitive people could cause migraines or even seizures. that could also use a toggle option.
This is why I said across site. Just. Turn EVERYTHING to default.

The gifs being paused would also be really nice, I've ran across some painful gifs too. But I wasn't sure what to do with that.

Editing to add that a lot of my problems stem from a kind of epilepsy, and I really can't control it. I didn't want to mention it for fear of being ridiculed but I guess I'll do so.
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2023-02-05 07:54:13" ] @/Lykos if you read my reply to op you would see that i already addressed what you said in the first paragraph [quote=hungryhobbits] i was just pointing that out that sometimes people do things because they dont even think about it being potentially inaccessible but that doesnt necessarily come from a place of intolerance as some might gather, so i apologize![/quote] i'm pro toggle, but i think this could also be used as an educational conversation because while having a toggle for forums is great, that also still leaves the fact that a significant amount of dragon bios and user profiles are also inaccessible due to conflicting aesthetics for instance there's no option to stop autoplaying gifs, i've encountered lair profiles with flashing/strobing gifs for their eyestrainers that for photosensitive people could cause migraines or even seizures. that could also use a toggle option. [/quote] I did read through, actually, and thought that the quote Jemadar made was an actual response from them. I can't see quotes very well because my browser forces dark mode on the site based on the overall color scheme (which makes quotes harder to see on the darker posts since they normally alternate between two colors of post background. It doesn't hurt to give additional thoughts, though, either. Anyway, that's why I said across the site. A bio can be just as in your face.
hungryhobbits wrote on 2023-02-05 07:54:13:
@/Lykos if you read my reply to op you would see that i already addressed what you said in the first paragraph
hungryhobbits wrote:

I did read through, actually, and thought that the quote Jemadar made was an actual response from them. I can't see quotes very well because my browser forces dark mode on the site based on the overall color scheme (which makes quotes harder to see on the darker posts since they normally alternate between two colors of post background. It doesn't hurt to give additional thoughts, though, either.

Anyway, that's why I said across the site. A bio can be just as in your face.
@NatashaRomanov this site does have a weird contradiction when it comes to conversations about disability/accessibility in terms of it impacting gameplay - but if someone is on here making you feel bad for expressing you need help because of a disability or a disorder or whatever, you need to just report them, block, and move on. blocking is one of the best things you can do on this site. epilepsy is serious and you shouldnt be bullied for wanting the site you enjoy spending time on to take you and others like you into consideration with its QoL changes and added features!
@NatashaRomanov this site does have a weird contradiction when it comes to conversations about disability/accessibility in terms of it impacting gameplay - but if someone is on here making you feel bad for expressing you need help because of a disability or a disorder or whatever, you need to just report them, block, and move on. blocking is one of the best things you can do on this site. epilepsy is serious and you shouldnt be bullied for wanting the site you enjoy spending time on to take you and others like you into consideration with its QoL changes and added features!
41328.png -
Candy Coated Dragons
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2023-02-05 10:30:32" ] @NatashaRomanov this site does have a weird contradiction when it comes to conversations about disability/accessibility in terms of it impacting gameplay - but if someone is on here making you feel bad for expressing you need help because of a disability or a disorder or whatever, you need to just report them, block, and move on. blocking is one of the best things you can do on this site. epilepsy is serious and you shouldnt be bullied for wanting the site you enjoy spending time on to take you and others like you into consideration with its QoL changes and added features! [/quote] I've seen some rather negative feedback from others in a few unrelated threads when it came to the "minority users potentially impacting things for others", so I just feel reserved. I haven't been ridiculed yet. I've been ridiculed on another site I used to go on, again it's just residual feelings. I'm very happy to use the block and report features.
hungryhobbits wrote on 2023-02-05 10:30:32:
I've seen some rather negative feedback from others in a few unrelated threads when it came to the "minority users potentially impacting things for others", so I just feel reserved. I haven't been ridiculed yet.

I've been ridiculed on another site I used to go on, again it's just residual feelings.

I'm very happy to use the block and report features.
i think there should be a notice that states that some content (profiles, threads, bios, ect) may be broken when using a plain text mode, not just because of font size but because of transparent text. a lot of people use it to align columns better since bbcode is only capable of so much and i'd imagine seeing a bunch of text appear out of nowhere could be disorienting for some. trying to search for posts is a nightmare on here but i know staff have said at least darkmode extensions are fine to use on site, i think something to manage the use of fonts would also be allowed in the meantime or to bolster your vision? there's obviously no universal accessibility mode that will accommodate everyone on earth (that image makes me laugh since white text on a black background gives me eyestrain + a majority of those colors just plain hurt to look at) so i think allowing users to tailor their own experiences would help a lot.
i think there should be a notice that states that some content (profiles, threads, bios, ect) may be broken when using a plain text mode, not just because of font size but because of transparent text. a lot of people use it to align columns better since bbcode is only capable of so much and i'd imagine seeing a bunch of text appear out of nowhere could be disorienting for some. trying to search for posts is a nightmare on here but i know staff have said at least darkmode extensions are fine to use on site, i think something to manage the use of fonts would also be allowed in the meantime or to bolster your vision? there's obviously no universal accessibility mode that will accommodate everyone on earth (that image makes me laugh since white text on a black background gives me eyestrain + a majority of those colors just plain hurt to look at) so i think allowing users to tailor their own experiences would help a lot.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
1 2 3 4