Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Magni's Marvelous Metamorphosis
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
I don't have a lot of energy for coherent thoughts/additions, but I think this sounds like a very interesting and fun idea and I support it!
I don't have a lot of energy for coherent thoughts/additions, but I think this sounds like a very interesting and fun idea and I support it!
This could be super, super fun. Idk if anyone else in the thread has suggested it, but it'd be nice if the charms were consumable, but only once you get the desired outcome.

For example, if I make an eye-changing charm and equip it increases my chances of getting an eye change. If I don't get the eye change, the charm stays, but if I do get it, the charm is used up.

I suggest this because having a way to influence the outcome is really nice, but balancing it can be tricky. If you don't make them consumable, they can get devalued pretty quickly, but if you make it consume on an individual roll, it leads to a LOT of frustration in wasting your resources.

Also, I think changing elements should be an available outcome. I can't tell you how many times I've come up with a breeding idea only to have to shelve it because it would ultimately require changing flights, and I think this is a sticking point especially now that eyes are a thing that can be changed. Primal eyes especially are so distinctive, with many that are really cool, so it'd be nice to be able to get them on a dragon you've bred or just have another way to get them without having to buy one off someone else or change your flight (especially since you can only do that for free once).
This could be super, super fun. Idk if anyone else in the thread has suggested it, but it'd be nice if the charms were consumable, but only once you get the desired outcome.

For example, if I make an eye-changing charm and equip it increases my chances of getting an eye change. If I don't get the eye change, the charm stays, but if I do get it, the charm is used up.

I suggest this because having a way to influence the outcome is really nice, but balancing it can be tricky. If you don't make them consumable, they can get devalued pretty quickly, but if you make it consume on an individual roll, it leads to a LOT of frustration in wasting your resources.

Also, I think changing elements should be an available outcome. I can't tell you how many times I've come up with a breeding idea only to have to shelve it because it would ultimately require changing flights, and I think this is a sticking point especially now that eyes are a thing that can be changed. Primal eyes especially are so distinctive, with many that are really cool, so it'd be nice to be able to get them on a dragon you've bred or just have another way to get them without having to buy one off someone else or change your flight (especially since you can only do that for free once).
[quote name="SCB" date="2022-12-29 10:45:06" ] Best to remove "nothing happens" as its super frustrating. Have the lowest thing be "energy bar filled to 100%" It's not great, but it's something. [/quote] Ooh I like this one. Or perhaps have it be that you get your treasure refunded, or you get a couple of random items that you could normally get from hoarding. Something small where you at least (theoretically) break even.
SCB wrote on 2022-12-29 10:45:06:
Best to remove "nothing happens" as its super frustrating. Have the lowest thing be "energy bar filled to 100%" It's not great, but it's something.

Ooh I like this one. Or perhaps have it be that you get your treasure refunded, or you get a couple of random items that you could normally get from hoarding. Something small where you at least (theoretically) break even.
I think this would be a really fun idea, I definitely support. A whole new section of FR could possibly be opened through this, with a little luck you can change it up and have a good time.
I think this would be a really fun idea, I definitely support. A whole new section of FR could possibly be opened through this, with a little luck you can change it up and have a good time.
Previously Jayfeather88, now Jayfeathers - please don’t forget the s!
Fully support! It honestly sounds incredibly interesting!
Fully support! It honestly sounds incredibly interesting!
StRQpZw.pngJSSQ34Q.png
this actually seems really cool! itd be a good treasure sink and a fun gambling mechanic. full support!
this actually seems really cool! itd be a good treasure sink and a fun gambling mechanic. full support!
MUYNhfy.png
feXtM27.png
J7D1quC.png
P6XJEHx.png
xH03512.png WKtl2lb.png
S3J5uo7.png
TW8ViqF.png
This seems legit super fun!

Just two comments, since everything besides these I am 100% on board with:

- Why would exclusive eye types need to be on vials? To me that kind of detracts from the ~fantasy~ of the experience since it would mean that the eyes weren’t exclusive to dragons who went on lab ray quests. While I appreciate that people didn’t like when certain eye types were only attainable through hatching RNG, I think that if the lab ray types were exclusively very bizarre (the kind of thing you build a dragon around, rather than vice-versa), it could work.

- …Because of this preference, I think I’m not so into lab-exclusive genes, conceptually, since you’re definitely right that those wouldn’t be appropriate to have in the mix without people having more control on how they used them in breeding projects/dragon design in general.

Neither of those are make-or-break for me, though; that’s just some thoughts on what to me has the best vibe for a lab ray experience.
This seems legit super fun!

Just two comments, since everything besides these I am 100% on board with:

- Why would exclusive eye types need to be on vials? To me that kind of detracts from the ~fantasy~ of the experience since it would mean that the eyes weren’t exclusive to dragons who went on lab ray quests. While I appreciate that people didn’t like when certain eye types were only attainable through hatching RNG, I think that if the lab ray types were exclusively very bizarre (the kind of thing you build a dragon around, rather than vice-versa), it could work.

- …Because of this preference, I think I’m not so into lab-exclusive genes, conceptually, since you’re definitely right that those wouldn’t be appropriate to have in the mix without people having more control on how they used them in breeding projects/dragon design in general.

Neither of those are make-or-break for me, though; that’s just some thoughts on what to me has the best vibe for a lab ray experience.
pixel art adopt of Snowdrop the veilspun, by Ambulocetus

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
[quote]Why would exclusive eye types need to be on vials? To me that kind of detracts from the ~fantasy~ of the experience since it would mean that the eyes weren’t exclusive to dragons who went on lab ray quests. While I appreciate that people didn’t like when certain eye types were only attainable through hatching RNG, I think that if the lab ray types were exclusively very bizarre (the kind of thing you build a dragon around, rather than vice-versa), it could work.[/quote] Did you witness the eye-pocalypse? That's why all eye types, genes, etc should always have vials/scrolls/whatnot. No dragons should be excluded, and as this is a gambling mechanic, players should literally not be forced to gamble as the only way to obtain something. While many people enjoy gambling, some players do genuinely feel sick or anxious over it, and they shouldn't have to risk beloved dragons for an eye type as usually lab-ray-style features are so RNG-heavy that getting the specific thing you want likely won't happen without a lot of various mishaps--that again, some people enjoy but others don't and should not be forced into as the only means of obtaining something. And again, FR absolutely does not need another eye-pocalypse.
Quote:
Why would exclusive eye types need to be on vials? To me that kind of detracts from the ~fantasy~ of the experience since it would mean that the eyes weren’t exclusive to dragons who went on lab ray quests. While I appreciate that people didn’t like when certain eye types were only attainable through hatching RNG, I think that if the lab ray types were exclusively very bizarre (the kind of thing you build a dragon around, rather than vice-versa), it could work.

Did you witness the eye-pocalypse? That's why all eye types, genes, etc should always have vials/scrolls/whatnot. No dragons should be excluded, and as this is a gambling mechanic, players should literally not be forced to gamble as the only way to obtain something. While many people enjoy gambling, some players do genuinely feel sick or anxious over it, and they shouldn't have to risk beloved dragons for an eye type as usually lab-ray-style features are so RNG-heavy that getting the specific thing you want likely won't happen without a lot of various mishaps--that again, some people enjoy but others don't and should not be forced into as the only means of obtaining something.

And again, FR absolutely does not need another eye-pocalypse.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Of course I remember the introduction of new eye types, yes.

I’m just one of the people on the other side of the debate who thought it was fun that certain eye types (specifically the inherently “weirder” ones) were super rare! I know from experience that gemajgall and I simply fall on opposite sides of this debate, so I hope this doesn’t need to become a big digression (we already know where we stand here, after all); I just think that if there WERE to be a context to slightly reintroduce “rare RNG only” eye types, this would be it.

To me, at least, it feels like the point of a lab ray would be that it has at least some exclusives? Otherwise, there is much less draw to gambling to begin with (since the odds of getting an exact change you want for faster or cheaper than just buying the scroll directly are vanishingly small).
Similarly, it would feel kind of… sad? cynical? to me, if people just treated the lab ray as a daily button they push for a chance at an eye vial/gene scroll they could sell, rather than really using it for a long-term scatter-style project.
Of course I remember the introduction of new eye types, yes.

I’m just one of the people on the other side of the debate who thought it was fun that certain eye types (specifically the inherently “weirder” ones) were super rare! I know from experience that gemajgall and I simply fall on opposite sides of this debate, so I hope this doesn’t need to become a big digression (we already know where we stand here, after all); I just think that if there WERE to be a context to slightly reintroduce “rare RNG only” eye types, this would be it.

To me, at least, it feels like the point of a lab ray would be that it has at least some exclusives? Otherwise, there is much less draw to gambling to begin with (since the odds of getting an exact change you want for faster or cheaper than just buying the scroll directly are vanishingly small).
Similarly, it would feel kind of… sad? cynical? to me, if people just treated the lab ray as a daily button they push for a chance at an eye vial/gene scroll they could sell, rather than really using it for a long-term scatter-style project.
pixel art adopt of Snowdrop the veilspun, by Ambulocetus

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
I'll updated the op with more of the feedback and criticism i got (will remove lowering levels as an option!), but rn my take on exclusive eyes and genes is getting a scroll that you'd only get on magni (just like the coli scrolls). this keeps the exclusivity and adds another appeal to the gamble without forcing people who don't like gambling features to participate on it if they want the new gene or eyes.

I'll updated the op with more of the feedback and criticism i got (will remove lowering levels as an option!), but rn my take on exclusive eyes and genes is getting a scroll that you'd only get on magni (just like the coli scrolls). this keeps the exclusivity and adds another appeal to the gamble without forcing people who don't like gambling features to participate on it if they want the new gene or eyes.

21059.png Lemmy or Baku, but feel free to make up new nicknames for me.

Any pronouns | Japanese
Ping me when replying, I love to chat with people.
-- kMi3VrI.png
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12