Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [NotN] Change egg rates back to 9%.
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21
As a disabled player who can’t coli much at all this year compared to previous years bc of pain issues it’s extremely disheartening and frustrating to see less eggs from my chests compared to last year (last year I was averaging at least 1 egg per 10 chests, now it’s barely 1 in 30ish if I'm 'lucky' and I expect that to get worse), especially when it’s causing actual pain to acquire just a fraction of chests I used to. This, coupled with the horrendous dodge rate where enemies are literally dodging 3-4 times in a row has made this NOTN pretty miserable when it was the one thing I was looking forward to all year.

Even if there are those who might say I and others are just a victim of bad rng, there is at least one game mechanic still working against me when it shouldn’t: the lowered egg rate, and/or the enemy dodge rate making grinding nauseating and more time consuming than it needs to be. Either way it is an issue with the gameplay that needs to change imo bc it’s not fun.
As a disabled player who can’t coli much at all this year compared to previous years bc of pain issues it’s extremely disheartening and frustrating to see less eggs from my chests compared to last year (last year I was averaging at least 1 egg per 10 chests, now it’s barely 1 in 30ish if I'm 'lucky' and I expect that to get worse), especially when it’s causing actual pain to acquire just a fraction of chests I used to. This, coupled with the horrendous dodge rate where enemies are literally dodging 3-4 times in a row has made this NOTN pretty miserable when it was the one thing I was looking forward to all year.

Even if there are those who might say I and others are just a victim of bad rng, there is at least one game mechanic still working against me when it shouldn’t: the lowered egg rate, and/or the enemy dodge rate making grinding nauseating and more time consuming than it needs to be. Either way it is an issue with the gameplay that needs to change imo bc it’s not fun.
4QvO8UY.png
Howdy, my name is Ace!
They/Them, He/Him

• Artist
• Old and Tired™
• Might take a bit to respond but pings and PMs are always welcome!
[quote name="Alkhor" date="2022-12-21 10:26:24" ] [quote name="Xairathan" date="2022-12-21 09:53:38" ] I get my chests by trading my eggs for chests and opening these in a theoretically infinite cycle. [/quote] trully? sounds kinda exploiting; As I see chests it never supposed turnes into infinite cicle, thus this make redusing chances looks evem more reasonable. [/quote] I can see your point of view but I would like to point out a few things. - Firstly, this only worked if I theoretically beat the 9% rate (which I did in the last two years) - Secondly, if I do 'win' and beat the rate, I'm not getting unlimited money. I have to account for when I don't beat the 9% rate (basically, I have to be able to sustain both high and low periods), and ultimately it came out to 1-2kg of profit a day if averaged out. You could make the same if not more by grinding chests for the same amount of time and selling them all - And lastly, as I mentioned above, I was processing anywhere from 4k to 5k chests a day. With no incentive to do that anymore, that part of the player driven economy is slowing. None of those listed reasons are necessarily reasons to justify a 9% rate, but your understanding of this cycle as exploitative is based in misinterpretation of how it actually worked.
Alkhor wrote on 2022-12-21 10:26:24:
Xairathan wrote on 2022-12-21 09:53:38:

I get my chests by trading my eggs for chests and opening these in a theoretically infinite cycle.
trully? sounds kinda exploiting; As I see chests it never supposed turnes into infinite cicle, thus this make redusing chances looks evem more reasonable.

I can see your point of view but I would like to point out a few things.

- Firstly, this only worked if I theoretically beat the 9% rate (which I did in the last two years)

- Secondly, if I do 'win' and beat the rate, I'm not getting unlimited money. I have to account for when I don't beat the 9% rate (basically, I have to be able to sustain both high and low periods), and ultimately it came out to 1-2kg of profit a day if averaged out. You could make the same if not more by grinding chests for the same amount of time and selling them all

- And lastly, as I mentioned above, I was processing anywhere from 4k to 5k chests a day. With no incentive to do that anymore, that part of the player driven economy is slowing.

None of those listed reasons are necessarily reasons to justify a 9% rate, but your understanding of this cycle as exploitative is based in misinterpretation of how it actually worked.
vnfnSuk.gif
What I'm noticing is that people are complaining about how many eggs they're getting per set of 10 opened chests, which is... how a lowered drop rate works? How many more chests are you getting this year vs. other years, though? That's why chests are trending cheaper this year.

For the record, I've only gotten about 50 chests (I've been busy) and I've gotten 7 eggs, so... it's RNG. People who get good RNG don't come to the forums to complain about it, y'know? It kinda sucks that it feels worse, especially for people who are used to Big Numbers, but I think the average casual player won't notice much of a difference.
What I'm noticing is that people are complaining about how many eggs they're getting per set of 10 opened chests, which is... how a lowered drop rate works? How many more chests are you getting this year vs. other years, though? That's why chests are trending cheaper this year.

For the record, I've only gotten about 50 chests (I've been busy) and I've gotten 7 eggs, so... it's RNG. People who get good RNG don't come to the forums to complain about it, y'know? It kinda sucks that it feels worse, especially for people who are used to Big Numbers, but I think the average casual player won't notice much of a difference.
honestly, in any system with any amount of RNG you're going to have some people that manage above the average and some that don't get lucky unless every single user is getting several thousand chests. and that's not a reality. (and not even necessarily a guarantee then. a bell curve still has outliers.)

the only 'fair' scenario is to have galore give out a couple hundred eggs at the start of the fest and remove eggs from chests entirely so that everyone gets the exact same share of them, and even then you'd have people complaining they were unable to log in and claim them.

sorry if i sound kind of tilted, i'm not. just kind of being blunt as there are so many logic jumps being made on both sides of this thread. the problem comes down to the fact that egg drops are RNG at all. full stop. even with the % dropchance there are people reporting as high as 13% egg return this year. even with the higher drop chance last year there are people who got like 3 eggs. when there is any element of randomness, you will end up with haves and have-nots. there is not a solution to this problem without removing RNG elements entirely, and that's less fun for literally everyone except the slimmest minority who just wants to endlessly hatch eggs for entertainment.
honestly, in any system with any amount of RNG you're going to have some people that manage above the average and some that don't get lucky unless every single user is getting several thousand chests. and that's not a reality. (and not even necessarily a guarantee then. a bell curve still has outliers.)

the only 'fair' scenario is to have galore give out a couple hundred eggs at the start of the fest and remove eggs from chests entirely so that everyone gets the exact same share of them, and even then you'd have people complaining they were unable to log in and claim them.

sorry if i sound kind of tilted, i'm not. just kind of being blunt as there are so many logic jumps being made on both sides of this thread. the problem comes down to the fact that egg drops are RNG at all. full stop. even with the % dropchance there are people reporting as high as 13% egg return this year. even with the higher drop chance last year there are people who got like 3 eggs. when there is any element of randomness, you will end up with haves and have-nots. there is not a solution to this problem without removing RNG elements entirely, and that's less fun for literally everyone except the slimmest minority who just wants to endlessly hatch eggs for entertainment.
I do agree with what TephroTurtle and someone else in this thread said - we have to remember that people ought to be getting more chests per year simply by doing regular things on this site like bonding and Baldwin and Arlo etc etc compared to when NotN began.
I do agree with what TephroTurtle and someone else in this thread said - we have to remember that people ought to be getting more chests per year simply by doing regular things on this site like bonding and Baldwin and Arlo etc etc compared to when NotN began.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2022-12-21 11:28:32" ] [quote name="Alkhor" date="2022-12-21 10:59:37" ] [quote name="SCB" date="2022-12-21 10:34:36" ] If chests are more readily available, which they have been since last year, then the egg drop rate needs to come down for balance. [/quote] OR devs could reduce chances for coli drop chests! to make overal chest number on site same as it was when only coly provides you with chests! But I assume coli-centric players yeld even louder in that case that this change is unfair. So? what change is more fair? reduce coli chanced to save old egg drop chance? Or reduce egg drop chance? (to keep average number of eggs on site ~same as it was befor last year) [/quote] The issue is that the chests contain more than just eggs. So, if the only thing they want to reduce the drop rate of are the eggs, but not apparel/familiars/specialty stuff, why should the chest rate be reduced? [/quote] I am not against returning the egg drop rate back to 9% and lowering the odds of getting chests. I highly approve of the move to get chests from more things than just coli, because yeah, there's a lot of folks who cant or don't want to coli. It all boils down to a numbers game. Finding that balance that works for everyone. And that's not easy. More chests with a lower egg drop rate is not the greatest thing. I have so much stuff in my hoard, oof. I frankly could see the chests gone altogether and NotN just gets a currency that we can trade for whatever items we're after. I'd be plenty happy with that. But there are a lot of folks who do like RNG boxes. (I'm honestly not that big a fan) And right there's probably the real discussion to be had: what IS the acceptable answer for all play styles? The change from being so coli centric had to happen. NotN was not fun for those who couldn't coli. But now there's a LOT of chests coming into the game. And yeah, maybe coli's chest odds should be nerfed. I am personally open for a lot of things, just dreadfully protective of game balance because I have seen so many games die a slow painful death from not having that balance. EDIT: I wanted to add that I did notice that fodder apparel has been at 2G for most of the year, where it was at 3G the year before. So it is noticeable in that aspect. I will not be surprised to see 1G apparel this coming year. Having so many chests drop is probably a bigger issue than egg percentages. I suppose once apparel becomes devalued enough people will just hoardsell it, it fixes itself. We already have that with familiars.. their hoardsell value is a fair bit higher, atleast for the coli ones from mire and such, generally 2000t+ Cheap fams and apparel means cheaper muck and slime, which means more/cheaper fest currency, which means fest stuff devalues.. you see the spiral we get into. And we already have easier access to fest currency now with the improvements to not be so coli centric. I don't have answers, just observations.
Jemadar wrote on 2022-12-21 11:28:32:
Alkhor wrote on 2022-12-21 10:59:37:
SCB wrote on 2022-12-21 10:34:36:

If chests are more readily available, which they have been since last year, then the egg drop rate needs to come down for balance.
OR devs could reduce chances for coli drop chests! to make overal chest number on site same as it was when only coly provides you with chests!

But I assume coli-centric players yeld even louder in that case that this change is unfair.

So? what change is more fair? reduce coli chanced to save old egg drop chance? Or reduce egg drop chance?
(to keep average number of eggs on site ~same as it was befor last year)
The issue is that the chests contain more than just eggs. So, if the only thing they want to reduce the drop rate of are the eggs, but not apparel/familiars/specialty stuff, why should the chest rate be reduced?
I am not against returning the egg drop rate back to 9% and lowering the odds of getting chests. I highly approve of the move to get chests from more things than just coli, because yeah, there's a lot of folks who cant or don't want to coli.

It all boils down to a numbers game. Finding that balance that works for everyone. And that's not easy.

More chests with a lower egg drop rate is not the greatest thing. I have so much stuff in my hoard, oof. I frankly could see the chests gone altogether and NotN just gets a currency that we can trade for whatever items we're after. I'd be plenty happy with that. But there are a lot of folks who do like RNG boxes. (I'm honestly not that big a fan)

And right there's probably the real discussion to be had: what IS the acceptable answer for all play styles? The change from being so coli centric had to happen. NotN was not fun for those who couldn't coli. But now there's a LOT of chests coming into the game. And yeah, maybe coli's chest odds should be nerfed.

I am personally open for a lot of things, just dreadfully protective of game balance because I have seen so many games die a slow painful death from not having that balance.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I did notice that fodder apparel has been at 2G for most of the year, where it was at 3G the year before. So it is noticeable in that aspect. I will not be surprised to see 1G apparel this coming year. Having so many chests drop is probably a bigger issue than egg percentages. I suppose once apparel becomes devalued enough people will just hoardsell it, it fixes itself. We already have that with familiars.. their hoardsell value is a fair bit higher, atleast for the coli ones from mire and such, generally 2000t+

Cheap fams and apparel means cheaper muck and slime, which means more/cheaper fest currency, which means fest stuff devalues.. you see the spiral we get into. And we already have easier access to fest currency now with the improvements to not be so coli centric.

I don't have answers, just observations.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
At this rate I feel like I can't add anything to this thread that hasn't already been said or repeated. Except for my shared disappointment in the drop rate. NoN has always been my favourite event and out of 100 chests I've only had three eggs. I'm a casual player at that too and this time of year gets hectic not just for me but for many users in this site.I feel a little let down this year. If it doesn't change I don't think I'll participate next year not if it goingto feel like a slug fest to get a reward that may or may not be worth grinding for.
At this rate I feel like I can't add anything to this thread that hasn't already been said or repeated. Except for my shared disappointment in the drop rate. NoN has always been my favourite event and out of 100 chests I've only had three eggs. I'm a casual player at that too and this time of year gets hectic not just for me but for many users in this site.I feel a little let down this year. If it doesn't change I don't think I'll participate next year not if it goingto feel like a slug fest to get a reward that may or may not be worth grinding for.
Heavy support
Heavy support
PSiqTgP.png XX
FR+3
It/they
Art shop
Wishlist
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX' ' Winter rains down on the ashes,
XXXXXXXXXXXXMother makes fuel from the bones.' '
Support! I had been wondering if egg rates had been lowered or if I was just unlucky, and I was very disappointed to learn that the egg drop rate had indeed been reduced. :[ I opened 50+ chests today and got 2 eggs, which is... disheartening, to say the least, especially since I was getting about 1-2 eggs every 10 chests last year.

I guess I'd rather be getting excess familiars than the Buttrock Armageddon of 2014, but this NotN has been a huge grindfest for little reward. Please put the egg rates back to how they were last year. ;_;
Support! I had been wondering if egg rates had been lowered or if I was just unlucky, and I was very disappointed to learn that the egg drop rate had indeed been reduced. :[ I opened 50+ chests today and got 2 eggs, which is... disheartening, to say the least, especially since I was getting about 1-2 eggs every 10 chests last year.

I guess I'd rather be getting excess familiars than the Buttrock Armageddon of 2014, but this NotN has been a huge grindfest for little reward. Please put the egg rates back to how they were last year. ;_;
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
[quote name="TephroTurtle" date="2022-12-21 14:30:36" ] What I'm noticing is that people are complaining about how many eggs they're getting per set of 10 opened chests, which is... how a lowered drop rate works? How many more chests are you getting this year vs. other years, though? That's why chests are trending cheaper this year. For the record, I've only gotten about 50 chests (I've been busy) and I've gotten 7 eggs, so... it's RNG. People who get good RNG don't come to the forums to complain about it, y'know? It kinda sucks that it feels worse, especially for people who are used to Big Numbers, but I think the average casual player won't notice much of a difference. [/quote] Yeah, there needs to be more data on how many chests players are getting to know if people are getting less eggs overall or just fewer per chest. The real egg drop rate would be [b](% chance to get chest) x (% chance to get an egg from a chest.)[/b] I don't think there's enough information to say whether this total percentage is comparable to previous years. Especially because there are so many ways to get chests and items to trade for chests. What part of that equation should be bigger is another question that is going to vary from player to player. I'd probably prefer fewer chests with higher egg drops per chest, but idk whether I'd want that if it also meant going back to the Swipp model.
TephroTurtle wrote on 2022-12-21 14:30:36:

Yeah, there needs to be more data on how many chests players are getting to know if people are getting less eggs overall or just fewer per chest. The real egg drop rate would be
(% chance to get chest) x (% chance to get an egg from a chest.)

I don't think there's enough information to say whether this total percentage is comparable to previous years. Especially because there are so many ways to get chests and items to trade for chests.

What part of that equation should be bigger is another question that is going to vary from player to player. I'd probably prefer fewer chests with higher egg drops per chest, but idk whether I'd want that if it also meant going back to the Swipp model.
DragonIC_Big.png PsychicIC_Big.png
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21