Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gem MP Cycling Schedule
1 2 3 4 5 6
It is fairly predictable right now (it comes around black friday / cyber monday) but if you're new, you don't know that, as that isn't communicated anywhere; and thats only been a thing for 2 years.

Right now the entire cycled out catalogue is probably over 10,000g. The more gets added, the more unreasonable adding more, and the tight window for purchase is. Let me make that clear - You would probably need $100 worth of gems to buy most of the catalogue.

Big support for... Something to be changed. I like this suggestion.

Edit: my apologies, just woke up, didn't read dev tracker

It's a start.
It is fairly predictable right now (it comes around black friday / cyber monday) but if you're new, you don't know that, as that isn't communicated anywhere; and thats only been a thing for 2 years.

Right now the entire cycled out catalogue is probably over 10,000g. The more gets added, the more unreasonable adding more, and the tight window for purchase is. Let me make that clear - You would probably need $100 worth of gems to buy most of the catalogue.

Big support for... Something to be changed. I like this suggestion.

Edit: my apologies, just woke up, didn't read dev tracker

It's a start.
AbwaPSg.png
xxxxx xrdZoYH.pngOxagJgG.pngmxZJBlR.png
Q0p4QGz.png1j2YGao.pngLvsm6NG.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dEo6ta2.png
nWiQNX9.png
While I also dissupoint do how many items become cycled I've make my bet that terrorising PB with fomo exactly make game great proffit. In that case our wished preaty hopeless.
While I also dissupoint do how many items become cycled I've make my bet that terrorising PB with fomo exactly make game great proffit. In that case our wished preaty hopeless.

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
It may be worth reposting the...well, passionate text wall I left on the main thread last night/this morning. I still feel this way too. I love FR so much, but I don't love the current system with cycling for "keeping things fresh". It's better than retiring items, yeah, but that's not saying a lot when you really think about it. [quote name="subconscious" date="2022-11-28 04:05:37" ] I have another thing to add, and with all due respect to staff, 7 days of the chance of getting your hands on some goodies depending on finances (IRL or in-game) out of 365 days in a year is kind of ridiculous. If the problem lies in crowding of the apparel tab in the gem MP, maybe making more tabs could help? Sort them by year or something, it'd be simple enough for people to figure out, and there would be less clutter. I understand cycling out the apparel dated in appearance - but that doesn't explain why apparel that doesn't fit that criteria (Silver Sylvan set, Pastel Lace set) were added to the pool of cycling items. I admit, I've spent an unwise amount of money on gems on this site over the years. I'm certain plenty of others do as well. There's a better way to go about doing this. Keeping a regular cycling schedule that isn't a pitiful amount of time each year would be well and good. Better would be to stop taking away apparel people adore and regularly use. The current system also allows scalping to take place, which could potentially mean loss in gem sales as they make more off it than they purchased it for. (On the flip side it could mean someone would buy gems to afford it, but I digress. A problem is still present.) And frankly I still stand by Wildclaw and Coatl scrolls taking turns cycling each year at least. People would still rush to get either when they return due to projects that require either. And with Wildclaws in particular, their "premium breed" status makes most scrolls go toward special g1s (I am no exception), and reduces the amount of Wildclaws in the site population that aren't g1s that also aren't often being bred. (Love that none/none aesthetic too, again I'm no exception.) Additionally, it makes it painful or feel like a waste not to use the scrolls on "trophy" sorts of dragons because of the scarcity of them. I've got one scrolled Wildclaw that's still around because of that sunk cost. Also, Wildclaws are nature's only breed. Fire also only has Coatls as far as moderns go, but nature shouldn't have to wait for one set week and one potential spontaneous week each year for their only breed. I mean no disrespect at all. I'm just another frustrated player is all, and these things make me wonder if buying gems is actually all that good a decision. I'm also passionate about trying to express these things because this site is one of special interests that even overlaps with my other one - I really mean it when I say I mean no disrespect. (Thank you to anyone who actually read this text wall, I'm a pretty verbose guy with this sort of thing.) [/quote]
It may be worth reposting the...well, passionate text wall I left on the main thread last night/this morning. I still feel this way too. I love FR so much, but I don't love the current system with cycling for "keeping things fresh". It's better than retiring items, yeah, but that's not saying a lot when you really think about it.
subconscious wrote on 2022-11-28 04:05:37:
I have another thing to add, and with all due respect to staff, 7 days of the chance of getting your hands on some goodies depending on finances (IRL or in-game) out of 365 days in a year is kind of ridiculous. If the problem lies in crowding of the apparel tab in the gem MP, maybe making more tabs could help? Sort them by year or something, it'd be simple enough for people to figure out, and there would be less clutter.

I understand cycling out the apparel dated in appearance - but that doesn't explain why apparel that doesn't fit that criteria (Silver Sylvan set, Pastel Lace set) were added to the pool of cycling items.

I admit, I've spent an unwise amount of money on gems on this site over the years. I'm certain plenty of others do as well. There's a better way to go about doing this. Keeping a regular cycling schedule that isn't a pitiful amount of time each year would be well and good. Better would be to stop taking away apparel people adore and regularly use. The current system also allows scalping to take place, which could potentially mean loss in gem sales as they make more off it than they purchased it for. (On the flip side it could mean someone would buy gems to afford it, but I digress. A problem is still present.)

And frankly I still stand by Wildclaw and Coatl scrolls taking turns cycling each year at least. People would still rush to get either when they return due to projects that require either. And with Wildclaws in particular, their "premium breed" status makes most scrolls go toward special g1s (I am no exception), and reduces the amount of Wildclaws in the site population that aren't g1s that also aren't often being bred. (Love that none/none aesthetic too, again I'm no exception.) Additionally, it makes it painful or feel like a waste not to use the scrolls on "trophy" sorts of dragons because of the scarcity of them. I've got one scrolled Wildclaw that's still around because of that sunk cost.

Also, Wildclaws are nature's only breed. Fire also only has Coatls as far as moderns go, but nature shouldn't have to wait for one set week and one potential spontaneous week each year for their only breed.

I mean no disrespect at all. I'm just another frustrated player is all, and these things make me wonder if buying gems is actually all that good a decision. I'm also passionate about trying to express these things because this site is one of special interests that even overlaps with my other one - I really mean it when I say I mean no disrespect. (Thank you to anyone who actually read this text wall, I'm a pretty verbose guy with this sort of thing.)
chxjGgQ.gif

He/Him
BPco0tZ.png HQsa6bD.png xvCXjXc.png FR+3
support for a more consistent cycled item schedule. like even just 1 set or a few specific odds and ends of items per month. have the wc and coatl scrolls swap every 6 months. dear god just give us a consistent and reliable schedule instead of adding another 1-week exclusivity period (great! now its TWICE a year! and fixes only one area of contention being a lack of date planning!) and giving into the fomo bs so many people hate from all spectrums.
support for a more consistent cycled item schedule. like even just 1 set or a few specific odds and ends of items per month. have the wc and coatl scrolls swap every 6 months. dear god just give us a consistent and reliable schedule instead of adding another 1-week exclusivity period (great! now its TWICE a year! and fixes only one area of contention being a lack of date planning!) and giving into the fomo bs so many people hate from all spectrums.
>aleph
>it/its
>+3 frt
>alterhuman
>rivethead
>delete system32
Hnet-com-image.png
Also, judging by what can be found in dev tracker posts today, it's planned to cycle more apparel out every November.

And of course, we can only get anything in a window of 14 days on either end of 365 days in a year. And right now is especially frustrating because we just had a breed release AND it's the holiday season. The latter of course is expected each year, but we still just had Undertides release. And there's more pressure laid on thanks to much-loved apparel being taken away this time.

It's a bit heartening to see the vocal backlash this time, and I just hope something that pleases everybody or nearly everybody frustrated about all this comes about. (Staff does dig their heels in regarding frustrating decisions, though. See: the entirety of the eyepocalypse that took years of backlash for a decision to finally be made to implement vials - although that, too, had created outrage because they dug their heels in previously.)
Also, judging by what can be found in dev tracker posts today, it's planned to cycle more apparel out every November.

And of course, we can only get anything in a window of 14 days on either end of 365 days in a year. And right now is especially frustrating because we just had a breed release AND it's the holiday season. The latter of course is expected each year, but we still just had Undertides release. And there's more pressure laid on thanks to much-loved apparel being taken away this time.

It's a bit heartening to see the vocal backlash this time, and I just hope something that pleases everybody or nearly everybody frustrated about all this comes about. (Staff does dig their heels in regarding frustrating decisions, though. See: the entirety of the eyepocalypse that took years of backlash for a decision to finally be made to implement vials - although that, too, had created outrage because they dug their heels in previously.)
chxjGgQ.gif

He/Him
[quote name="subconscious" date="2022-11-28 12:21:29" ] Also, judging by what can be found in dev tracker posts today, it's planned to cycle more apparel out every November. [/quote] >more cycling out apparel every november [emoji=undertide deadpan size=2] god, theyre really egregious with this model of "cycling" items. i bet a few years down the line they'll do the same thing with the eye vials, make them permanent editions, and everybody and their mother will start frothing at the mouth. lets be honest and i mean this with no malicious but rather critical intent, staff is...not good at communication/decision-making and negotiating with players. they have a "vision" that is universally disliked by people, they suddenly turn tail 180 on it after a vocal enough outcry is stacked, and act like the latter outcome was ALWAYS the intended thing. it's really poor practice.
subconscious wrote on 2022-11-28 12:21:29:

>more cycling out apparel every november

god, theyre really egregious with this model of "cycling" items. i bet a few years down the line they'll do the same thing with the eye vials, make them permanent editions, and everybody and their mother will start frothing at the mouth.
lets be honest and i mean this with no malicious but rather critical intent, staff is...not good at communication/decision-making and negotiating with players. they have a "vision" that is universally disliked by people, they suddenly turn tail 180 on it after a vocal enough outcry is stacked, and act like the latter outcome was ALWAYS the intended thing. it's really poor practice.
>aleph
>it/its
>+3 frt
>alterhuman
>rivethead
>delete system32
Hnet-com-image.png
I don’t like permanent items becoming cycling items, but that’s a different topic.

I personally think this schedule needs to be displayed in more places for sure. If it only displays on the announcement(s), then it can still take people by surprise that I don’t think it’s a great complete fix (though more people will definitely know by now at least. New players and anyone who forgets this won’t have a great time).
I don’t like permanent items becoming cycling items, but that’s a different topic.

I personally think this schedule needs to be displayed in more places for sure. If it only displays on the announcement(s), then it can still take people by surprise that I don’t think it’s a great complete fix (though more people will definitely know by now at least. New players and anyone who forgets this won’t have a great time).
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
7691.png Selling G1s! 196.png Trading Notes for Notes!
Closed
[quote name="thaumiel" date="2022-11-28 12:48:29" ] [quote name="subconscious" date="2022-11-28 12:21:29" ] Also, judging by what can be found in dev tracker posts today, it's planned to cycle more apparel out every November. [/quote] >more cycling out apparel every november [emoji=undertide deadpan size=2] god, theyre really egregious with this model of "cycling" items. i bet a few years down the line they'll do the same thing with the eye vials, make them permanent editions, and everybody and their mother will start frothing at the mouth. lets be honest and i mean this with no malicious but rather critical intent, staff is...not good at communication/decision-making and negotiating with players. they have a "vision" that is universally disliked by people, they suddenly turn tail 180 on it after a vocal enough outcry is stacked, and act like the latter outcome was ALWAYS the intended thing. it's really poor practice. [/quote] Granted, it was said by Undel that specialty items won't be cycling, but your point stands strong. While not considered a "specialty" item anymore, I mean...look at Wildclaw scrolls. That's a pitiful situation right there, whenever I scry dragons I list Wildclaws on the same tier of a "no-no, can't obtain" as Imperials, if just for finances' sake. (If my lair makes me look rich, it's a result of poor decisions, not wealth. One breed scroll doesn't seem worth similar funds for other things I've wanted.) And of course...yeah, things will keep cycling out each November. It appears Undel amended her post with "if anything" in regards to anything being cycled out, but that still doesn't inspire confidence. I'd also think that, given the "hot items" tab in the gem MP, that they [i]can[/i] track what the most popular items are as far as apparel goes. They should [i]know[/i] what would cause the most outrage regarding sets cycling out. Of course I wish nothing cycled out [i]at all[/i], but I'm sure most know staff's compromises, as I said in another thread, tend to be bittersweet. Middle ground is best (and more likely) when the current option is terrible.
thaumiel wrote on 2022-11-28 12:48:29:
subconscious wrote on 2022-11-28 12:21:29:

>more cycling out apparel every november

god, theyre really egregious with this model of "cycling" items. i bet a few years down the line they'll do the same thing with the eye vials, make them permanent editions, and everybody and their mother will start frothing at the mouth.
lets be honest and i mean this with no malicious but rather critical intent, staff is...not good at communication/decision-making and negotiating with players. they have a "vision" that is universally disliked by people, they suddenly turn tail 180 on it after a vocal enough outcry is stacked, and act like the latter outcome was ALWAYS the intended thing. it's really poor practice.

Granted, it was said by Undel that specialty items won't be cycling, but your point stands strong. While not considered a "specialty" item anymore, I mean...look at Wildclaw scrolls. That's a pitiful situation right there, whenever I scry dragons I list Wildclaws on the same tier of a "no-no, can't obtain" as Imperials, if just for finances' sake. (If my lair makes me look rich, it's a result of poor decisions, not wealth. One breed scroll doesn't seem worth similar funds for other things I've wanted.)

And of course...yeah, things will keep cycling out each November. It appears Undel amended her post with "if anything" in regards to anything being cycled out, but that still doesn't inspire confidence.

I'd also think that, given the "hot items" tab in the gem MP, that they can track what the most popular items are as far as apparel goes. They should know what would cause the most outrage regarding sets cycling out. Of course I wish nothing cycled out at all, but I'm sure most know staff's compromises, as I said in another thread, tend to be bittersweet. Middle ground is best (and more likely) when the current option is terrible.
chxjGgQ.gif

He/Him
It would be kind of nice if they framed it as a monthly sale from an antiques seller npc, or something. Then the cycle would be visible on site too. And the stuff could be seperate from the gem mp because looking for the cycling stuff right now is annoying

And yeah they're absolutely cycling out popular stuff on purpose. Those are the most common older items I see, which means people are more likely to panic buy them
It would be kind of nice if they framed it as a monthly sale from an antiques seller npc, or something. Then the cycle would be visible on site too. And the stuff could be seperate from the gem mp because looking for the cycling stuff right now is annoying

And yeah they're absolutely cycling out popular stuff on purpose. Those are the most common older items I see, which means people are more likely to panic buy them
AbwaPSg.png
xxxxx xrdZoYH.pngOxagJgG.pngmxZJBlR.png
Q0p4QGz.png1j2YGao.pngLvsm6NG.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dEo6ta2.png
nWiQNX9.png
[quote name="SpookyPuptarts" date="2022-11-28 13:27:27" ] It would be kind of nice if they framed it as a monthly sale from an antiques seller npc, or something. Then the cycle would be visible on site too. And the stuff could be seperate from the gem mp because looking for the cycling stuff right now is annoying And yeah they're absolutely cycling out popular stuff on purpose. Those are the most common older items I see, which means people are more likely to panic buy them [/quote] Fantastic idea to toss in the Grand Exchange with a schedule of when they’ll be back that’s [u]absolutely[/u] easy to find. Cycle dates shouldn’t be hidden in announcement threads. Not everyone reads those.
SpookyPuptarts wrote on 2022-11-28 13:27:27:

Fantastic idea to toss in the Grand Exchange with a schedule of when they’ll be back that’s absolutely easy to find. Cycle dates shouldn’t be hidden in announcement threads. Not everyone reads those.
1 2 3 4 5 6