Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | "As Hatched"
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I can understand why you might want an automatic log, but that’s not what you were talking about. You specifically said that the problem with self-made icons is that “there is no evidence to say that’s true”. That’s not a problem when you are looking at your own dragons.
I can understand why you might want an automatic log, but that’s not what you were talking about. You specifically said that the problem with self-made icons is that “there is no evidence to say that’s true”. That’s not a problem when you are looking at your own dragons.
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
[quote name="ceiswyn" date="2022-06-20 02:01:37" ] I can understand why you might want an automatic log, but that’s not what you were talking about. You specifically said that the problem with self-made icons is that “there is no evidence to say that’s true”. That’s not a problem when you are looking at your own dragons. [/quote] If I leave and then come back in five years I'm going to remember what my self-selected icons with no other labels on the icon means? Because it's self-selected and others will be using the same icon to mean something else. Granted, one would hope I'd record what it means? But, then, there are some things we incorrectly expect to remember forever, and some things that stick for no reason. I remember my library card number from 2010. I don't remember my student ID from the same timeframe. I don't have either anymore, because I don't need them. So my student ID is not immediately available to me, but my library card number is. Keeping notes from a browser game seems even less likely to survive. Who knows. I left another petsite about five years ago and logged back on recently. Despite the limited number of pets, I didn't even remember all of the characters. And I'm talking about things for which I'd written stories (multiple!) and customized, and I didn't remember they even existed, much less what little interesting bits of trivia were associated. Did I trade for it? Hatch it myself? I don't know. I could tell myself a story now that this was one I made myself, but there's no way for me to know for sure. Now, never mind the hundreds of dragons we can have here. I can know that a certain selection of dragons have something in common (because they all have a blue diamond icon or something), but without any other clues, it could mean anything.
ceiswyn wrote on 2022-06-20 02:01:37:
If I leave and then come back in five years I'm going to remember what my self-selected icons with no other labels on the icon means? Because it's self-selected and others will be using the same icon to mean something else. Granted, one would hope I'd record what it means? But, then, there are some things we incorrectly expect to remember forever, and some things that stick for no reason. I remember my library card number from 2010. I don't remember my student ID from the same timeframe. I don't have either anymore, because I don't need them. So my student ID is not immediately available to me, but my library card number is. Keeping notes from a browser game seems even less likely to survive. Who knows.

I left another petsite about five years ago and logged back on recently. Despite the limited number of pets, I didn't even remember all of the characters. And I'm talking about things for which I'd written stories (multiple!) and customized, and I didn't remember they even existed, much less what little interesting bits of trivia were associated. Did I trade for it? Hatch it myself? I don't know. I could tell myself a story now that this was one I made myself, but there's no way for me to know for sure.

Now, never mind the hundreds of dragons we can have here. I can know that a certain selection of dragons have something in common (because they all have a blue diamond icon or something), but without any other clues, it could mean anything.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
If that’s what you’re worried about, you can just write it in text instead of using any icon. Problem solved!

…apart from anything else, if this is your personal log, there’s no guarantee that FR will automatically record the stuff you care about. For example, it might record that my Maior was born with primal eyes (although it won’t, since he was born before recording started), but it won’t record that he is the grandson of a dragon I won in a contest; and that’s as important to me as the lucky eye hatch. It will record that I gened up Sundae with blossom, but not that I foraged for every single flippin’ pink mum myself. It will record that I scattered my progen, but it might not record what her original colours were.

So for personal purposes, while it might be nice to have an auto log of scrolls and vials applied, it’s probably better just to write it all down in the bio for yourself.
If that’s what you’re worried about, you can just write it in text instead of using any icon. Problem solved!

…apart from anything else, if this is your personal log, there’s no guarantee that FR will automatically record the stuff you care about. For example, it might record that my Maior was born with primal eyes (although it won’t, since he was born before recording started), but it won’t record that he is the grandson of a dragon I won in a contest; and that’s as important to me as the lucky eye hatch. It will record that I gened up Sundae with blossom, but not that I foraged for every single flippin’ pink mum myself. It will record that I scattered my progen, but it might not record what her original colours were.

So for personal purposes, while it might be nice to have an auto log of scrolls and vials applied, it’s probably better just to write it all down in the bio for yourself.
Coffee Pot
5loJkio.jpg
[quote name="ceiswyn" date="2022-06-20 03:35:34"] So for personal purposes, while it might be nice to have an auto log of scrolls and vials applied, it’s probably better just to write it all down in the bio for yourself. [/quote] I used to screenshot all of my AH history, I did this for months, but then one fortnight I was too busy and didn't get to it in time and the history was deleted. I also used to write the prices I paid for a dragon in its bio... but then I got too busy and stopped doing it. I wish stuff like this was automatic/logged automatically, so in that way I can get behind the "As Hatched" indicator, for personal purposes. [size=1]I just hate icons lol
ceiswyn wrote on 2022-06-20 03:35:34:

I used to screenshot all of my AH history, I did this for months, but then one fortnight I was too busy and didn't get to it in time and the history was deleted. I also used to write the prices I paid for a dragon in its bio... but then I got too busy and stopped doing it.

I wish stuff like this was automatic/logged automatically, so in that way I can get behind the "As Hatched" indicator, for personal purposes. I just hate icons lol
no support because it's lame and boring. people are already weird about making sure everyone knows their dragons are nat primals or whatever because of the introduction of vials (which mine are labeled too but that's just for whenever i get around to writing lore tbh)

also literally if you make changes to a dragon just write it down - it's not that hard
no support because it's lame and boring. people are already weird about making sure everyone knows their dragons are nat primals or whatever because of the introduction of vials (which mine are labeled too but that's just for whenever i get around to writing lore tbh)

also literally if you make changes to a dragon just write it down - it's not that hard
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
At the point where we’re looking at recording the items and currencies nvolved in every AH/CR transaction that included the dragon as well as every scroll/vial applied to it and when, and what it looked like before, I’m starting to wonder how much storage space that would require…
At the point where we’re looking at recording the items and currencies nvolved in every AH/CR transaction that included the dragon as well as every scroll/vial applied to it and when, and what it looked like before, I’m starting to wonder how much storage space that would require…
Coffee Pot
5loJkio.jpg
[quote name="ceiswyn" date="2022-06-20 04:51:40" ] At the point where we’re looking at recording the items and currencies nvolved in every AH/CR transaction that included the dragon as well as every scroll/vial applied to it and when, and what it looked like before, I’m starting to wonder how much storage space that would require… [/quote] Well CR already does it. But with AH with tens of millions of impersonal transactions I get how this isn’t possible. Would be nice if it logged dragon changes for you, but since it wouldn’t be retroactive, not sure if I want it.
ceiswyn wrote on 2022-06-20 04:51:40:

Well CR already does it. But with AH with tens of millions of impersonal transactions I get how this isn’t possible. Would be nice if it logged dragon changes for you, but since it wouldn’t be retroactive, not sure if I want it.
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-06-20 04:48:30" ] no support because it's lame and boring. people are already weird about making sure everyone knows their dragons are nat primals or whatever because of the introduction of vials (which mine are labeled too but that's just for whenever i get around to writing lore tbh) also literally if you make changes to a dragon just write it down - it's not that hard [/quote] i don't remember if i commented on this thread but basically this, so no support.
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-06-20 04:48:30:

i don't remember if i commented on this thread but basically this, so no support.
xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
midwxst

he / him
fr +3
[quote name="Almedha" date="2022-06-20 00:51:19" ] [quote name="ceiswyn" date="2022-06-19 22:39:24" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2022-06-19 10:58:15" ] The problem with the self-chosen icons for people is that I can say that my dragon Denali was hatched with primal eyes. But there is no evidence to say that's true.[/quote] So? As you yourself said: [quote]…no one is looking at your dragons. They're looking at their own dragons. Nobody cares about your dragons except you.[/quote] [/quote] And I also said, I believe in that very same post, that I forgot what I did with Cek! One of these days when Denali is ten years old I might not remember what her history was. I don't understand what's so hard to understand about this. [i]I [/i]am looking at my dragons, and it would be nice to have an accurate record somewhere that's 1) automatic and 2) doesn't have to be kept off-site. Edit: Additionally, when you show off dragons on threads, obviously that's when people look. I think I said that, too. Gema seems to be referring to some kind of person, unprompted, thinking to themselves, "these dragons are worthless" when I just don't see that happening. Sure, when you share your dragons on a thread, some people will find them ugly or boring. That's to be expected and we aren't trying to prevent that because that comes by nature of showing off your dragon already. It's these unsolicited people just looking at your dragon and being able to tell without an announcement thread on the topic that you fully gened such and such a dragon that we apparently think is such a bad attitude that it's not allowed. That unsolicited person, while it probably exists, isn't very common (and, almost always doesn't matter because very few of these people are going to actually tell you that your dragons are ugly and boring). There are so many dragons that the odds someone is looking at yours when you don't show them off (which is one thing you'd want this for) is very low to nonexistent. This feels like being contrary just to be contrary, though. [/quote] I don't use the pronoun "them," so in the future, please don't use it to refer to me. I am referring to specific people, it's just against the site rules to call people out. I already requested in advance that you not request I break site rules. You seem to be of the opinion that you know how I should think and feel. You feel that I shouldn't care what other people think. I mean this as nice as I can, I honestly do--but it really isn't anyone else's place to determine what I think and feel. If I chose to value other people's opinions, that is on me. And it's not up to anyone else to say I shouldn't value other people's opinions. On the opposite side of the same coin, it's on me if I chose to not care about other people's opinions. Or only care about select people's opinions. It really isn't up for anyone else to determine. Regardless of what I think or other people or I think other people think or other people think I think, icons like this would lead to elitist language in the forums and create a market promoting certain dragons at the expense of many others. And even if people are convinced that would never happen, and want to argue that only my thoughts on my own dragons matter--then my thoughts are that these marks are elitist and I do not want them on my dragons. Period. The same with a changelog that would be used in the same way. As said before, I have some as-is dragons and some vialed/gened dragons. And I will gain such dragons in the future too. I don't want one of my dragons to be marked differently than another dragon just because of how I acquired it or how I customized it. After all, why should one dragon be marked, by the site and staff themselves, over other of my dragons. I should be the one to determine the marks on my dragons and no one else. And if I want to include in my lore that Oberon was always a fae, I don't want marks and changelogs contradicting me. Even with a toggle or a deletion feature, I don't support this for reasons I already said. Also, ceiswyn is right on the money here: [quote name="ceiswyn" date="2022-06-20 02:01:37" ] I can understand why you might want an automatic log, but that’s not what you were talking about. You specifically said that the problem with self-made icons is that “there is no evidence to say that’s true”. That’s not a problem when you are looking at your own dragons. [/quote] Either what other people think matters or it doesn't. If it truly doesn't matter, we don't need marks at all because we can already use the bio box to include our own marks and info for our own thoughts and records. Who cares if other people don't believe what we put in there? After all, it only matters what we think, right? But this suggestion implies that not only does it matter what other people think--it also implies that it's a positive thing for the staff to come from their position of authority to validate that. At the end of the day, this suggestion mandates that the staff and site say that "these dragons are worthy of our notice and attention, which we are giving to them in way of a mark/notes on a changelog"--which comes at the expense of dragons who don't fall within the parameters of the mark or whose information isn't covered in the changelog.
Almedha wrote on 2022-06-20 00:51:19:
ceiswyn wrote on 2022-06-19 22:39:24:
Almedha wrote on 2022-06-19 10:58:15:
The problem with the self-chosen icons for people is that I can say that my dragon Denali was hatched with primal eyes. But there is no evidence to say that's true.
So?

As you yourself said:
Quote:
…no one is looking at your dragons. They're looking at their own dragons. Nobody cares about your dragons except you.
And I also said, I believe in that very same post, that I forgot what I did with Cek! One of these days when Denali is ten years old I might not remember what her history was. I don't understand what's so hard to understand about this. I am looking at my dragons, and it would be nice to have an accurate record somewhere that's 1) automatic and 2) doesn't have to be kept off-site.

Edit:
Additionally, when you show off dragons on threads, obviously that's when people look. I think I said that, too. Gema seems to be referring to some kind of person, unprompted, thinking to themselves, "these dragons are worthless" when I just don't see that happening. Sure, when you share your dragons on a thread, some people will find them ugly or boring. That's to be expected and we aren't trying to prevent that because that comes by nature of showing off your dragon already. It's these unsolicited people just looking at your dragon and being able to tell without an announcement thread on the topic that you fully gened such and such a dragon that we apparently think is such a bad attitude that it's not allowed. That unsolicited person, while it probably exists, isn't very common (and, almost always doesn't matter because very few of these people are going to actually tell you that your dragons are ugly and boring). There are so many dragons that the odds someone is looking at yours when you don't show them off (which is one thing you'd want this for) is very low to nonexistent.

This feels like being contrary just to be contrary, though.
I don't use the pronoun "them," so in the future, please don't use it to refer to me.

I am referring to specific people, it's just against the site rules to call people out. I already requested in advance that you not request I break site rules.

You seem to be of the opinion that you know how I should think and feel. You feel that I shouldn't care what other people think. I mean this as nice as I can, I honestly do--but it really isn't anyone else's place to determine what I think and feel. If I chose to value other people's opinions, that is on me. And it's not up to anyone else to say I shouldn't value other people's opinions. On the opposite side of the same coin, it's on me if I chose to not care about other people's opinions. Or only care about select people's opinions. It really isn't up for anyone else to determine.

Regardless of what I think or other people or I think other people think or other people think I think, icons like this would lead to elitist language in the forums and create a market promoting certain dragons at the expense of many others. And even if people are convinced that would never happen, and want to argue that only my thoughts on my own dragons matter--then my thoughts are that these marks are elitist and I do not want them on my dragons. Period. The same with a changelog that would be used in the same way. As said before, I have some as-is dragons and some vialed/gened dragons. And I will gain such dragons in the future too. I don't want one of my dragons to be marked differently than another dragon just because of how I acquired it or how I customized it. After all, why should one dragon be marked, by the site and staff themselves, over other of my dragons. I should be the one to determine the marks on my dragons and no one else. And if I want to include in my lore that Oberon was always a fae, I don't want marks and changelogs contradicting me. Even with a toggle or a deletion feature, I don't support this for reasons I already said.

Also, ceiswyn is right on the money here:
ceiswyn wrote on 2022-06-20 02:01:37:

Either what other people think matters or it doesn't. If it truly doesn't matter, we don't need marks at all because we can already use the bio box to include our own marks and info for our own thoughts and records. Who cares if other people don't believe what we put in there? After all, it only matters what we think, right?

But this suggestion implies that not only does it matter what other people think--it also implies that it's a positive thing for the staff to come from their position of authority to validate that. At the end of the day, this suggestion mandates that the staff and site say that "these dragons are worthy of our notice and attention, which we are giving to them in way of a mark/notes on a changelog"--which comes at the expense of dragons who don't fall within the parameters of the mark or whose information isn't covered in the changelog.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
No support, as the marker would serve no functional gameplay purpose.

On a personal note, I already greatly dislike the markers we have. Yet another marker being added, by default, to my unchanged dragons would be very vexing. I know I'd end up giving them eye vials with minimal visual change just to get rid of the marker.

I think if you personally want some signifier that the dragon has been unchanged, a good workaround is just leaving a note or some badge in their bio. Players already do this for plenty of other things (self leveled to 25, natural primal, only dragon with its colors, hatched during a special moon). That or screenshot the dragons hatch.
No support, as the marker would serve no functional gameplay purpose.

On a personal note, I already greatly dislike the markers we have. Yet another marker being added, by default, to my unchanged dragons would be very vexing. I know I'd end up giving them eye vials with minimal visual change just to get rid of the marker.

I think if you personally want some signifier that the dragon has been unchanged, a good workaround is just leaving a note or some badge in their bio. Players already do this for plenty of other things (self leveled to 25, natural primal, only dragon with its colors, hatched during a special moon). That or screenshot the dragons hatch.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8