Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | "As Hatched"
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[quote name="Almedha" date="2022-06-14 16:09:20" ] That's why I settled on saying it makes a little sense. It doesn't categorically make good sense. And it does seem a bit disingenuous to say that "all dragons have" a lineage marker like a G1 does. They don't. Sure, it has a function beyond just marking. Still, you have to admit, that function is a moot point for many for whom the "none" lineage is, in fact, better; many G1's intended to be trophy customized dragons are purposely not bred for the lineage marker, and therefore their functional difference may as well not exist. [/quote] Well... My original post was talking from an angle of UI design, with an emphasis on how icons are reserved for points of important dragon information for elements that can alter a dragon's functionality. Lineage is not marked with an icon, but it does affect a dragon's functionality in the breeding mechanic. The UI was designed so that we have the parent names (and links, on the dragon page) at a glance. Those markers were designed and implemented for a functional purpose well before players assigned any value onto lineage or generation. (and since all accounts start with progenitor dragons who have no parents, the "none" distinction was important from the very start.) User play styles evolved and subjective values changed in the player base (as happens within any game economy), but I believe the presentation remains just as valid.
Almedha wrote on 2022-06-14 16:09:20:
That's why I settled on saying it makes a little sense. It doesn't categorically make good sense. And it does seem a bit disingenuous to say that "all dragons have" a lineage marker like a G1 does. They don't. Sure, it has a function beyond just marking. Still, you have to admit, that function is a moot point for many for whom the "none" lineage is, in fact, better; many G1's intended to be trophy customized dragons are purposely not bred for the lineage marker, and therefore their functional difference may as well not exist.

Well...
My original post was talking from an angle of UI design, with an emphasis on how icons are reserved for points of important dragon information for elements that can alter a dragon's functionality.

Lineage is not marked with an icon, but it does affect a dragon's functionality in the breeding mechanic. The UI was designed so that we have the parent names (and links, on the dragon page) at a glance.
Those markers were designed and implemented for a functional purpose well before players assigned any value onto lineage or generation.
(and since all accounts start with progenitor dragons who have no parents, the "none" distinction was important from the very start.)

User play styles evolved and subjective values changed in the player base (as happens within any game economy), but I believe the presentation remains just as valid.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I'd support a toggable log the marks the dragon's changes. I don't think dragons are 'better' or 'worse' because you changed them. I have dragons that I've changed just about everything on and having the note of the work that when into them would be fun. If it's toggable, people don't have to take part in it or see it, users who want to show off work they've put in or a lucky hatch could do so.

I'm envisioning a toggle that's lair based so people wouldn't have to change every individual dragon, similar to the likes system.
I'd support a toggable log the marks the dragon's changes. I don't think dragons are 'better' or 'worse' because you changed them. I have dragons that I've changed just about everything on and having the note of the work that when into them would be fun. If it's toggable, people don't have to take part in it or see it, users who want to show off work they've put in or a lucky hatch could do so.

I'm envisioning a toggle that's lair based so people wouldn't have to change every individual dragon, similar to the likes system.
Unfortunately many peeps will use it to say some dragons are better then others, which is why I personally am only okay with a suggestion like this IF and only IF it has to be toggled on manually, can only be seen by the peep who owns the the dragon & the dragons history is wiped when it goes to another lair, but I'm not okay with it at all if it's like the likes system.

Right now all turning *off* likes does is hide it from you, other peeps can still see & like the dragons, you just can't see the button to do it yourself.

There were many suggesions similar to this that popped up after the eye vials dropped.
People wanted a special marker for natural rare eyed hatchlings for many reasons but, quite a few of them was just because peeps felt that vialed dragons were *tainted* as they weren't natural and therefore weren't as valuable as natural eyed hatches so, all *tainted eyed* dragons needed to be marked differently then the *natural eyed* dragons despite having 0 difference between them.

Edit. Didn't mean to quote a peep, fixed that.
Unfortunately many peeps will use it to say some dragons are better then others, which is why I personally am only okay with a suggestion like this IF and only IF it has to be toggled on manually, can only be seen by the peep who owns the the dragon & the dragons history is wiped when it goes to another lair, but I'm not okay with it at all if it's like the likes system.

Right now all turning *off* likes does is hide it from you, other peeps can still see & like the dragons, you just can't see the button to do it yourself.

There were many suggesions similar to this that popped up after the eye vials dropped.
People wanted a special marker for natural rare eyed hatchlings for many reasons but, quite a few of them was just because peeps felt that vialed dragons were *tainted* as they weren't natural and therefore weren't as valuable as natural eyed hatches so, all *tainted eyed* dragons needed to be marked differently then the *natural eyed* dragons despite having 0 difference between them.

Edit. Didn't mean to quote a peep, fixed that.
Seems like a lot of work for a marker that so few dragons would even have... Is there even such a thing as dragons who hatches and then their owner(s) never do anything with them? Not even change their genes?? I know I wouldn't use such a thing, I can't think of a single dragon I've owned who would fit the bill.
Seems like a lot of work for a marker that so few dragons would even have... Is there even such a thing as dragons who hatches and then their owner(s) never do anything with them? Not even change their genes?? I know I wouldn't use such a thing, I can't think of a single dragon I've owned who would fit the bill.
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
[quote name="ColonelChicken" date="2022-06-16 07:20:00" ] Seems like a lot of work for a marker that so few dragons would even have... Is there even such a thing as dragons who hatches and then their owner(s) never do anything with them? Not even change their genes?? I know I wouldn't use such a thing, I can't think of a single dragon I've owned who would fit the bill. [/quote] I know two of my five first page dragons for that bill. I bought them hours old and I've never changed them. Twenty-five of the dragons on the next page are the same story, or I hatched them myself. Have you really changed the genes of a hundred dragons? You haven't found a single dragon that you bought and liked as-is?
ColonelChicken wrote on 2022-06-16 07:20:00:
I know two of my five first page dragons for that bill. I bought them hours old and I've never changed them. Twenty-five of the dragons on the next page are the same story, or I hatched them myself. Have you really changed the genes of a hundred dragons? You haven't found a single dragon that you bought and liked as-is?
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I agree with Ironbeast. People will use this to say Identical Dragon A is better than Identical Dragon B and is therefore worth more prestige/treasure/ego/whatever. We saw it with the terminology used during similar suggestions after the eyepocalypse fix. There simply is no way this won't be used for elitism, which is why I'll never support it.
I agree with Ironbeast. People will use this to say Identical Dragon A is better than Identical Dragon B and is therefore worth more prestige/treasure/ego/whatever. We saw it with the terminology used during similar suggestions after the eyepocalypse fix. There simply is no way this won't be used for elitism, which is why I'll never support it.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2022-06-16 08:46:15" ] I agree with Ironbeast. People will use this to say Identical Dragon A is better than Identical Dragon B and is therefore worth more prestige/treasure/ego/whatever. We saw it with the terminology used during similar suggestions after the eyepocalypse fix. There simply is no way this won't be used for elitism, which is why I'll never support it. [/quote] This means we are fine with the exclusive elitism for only G1/raffle dragons, only old dragons, and only the literal one in a hundred million dragons. There is no way for G2+ dragons to be worth the prestige/treasure/ego/whatever. We already have dragons that are visually identical to one another that are "better" in that they are worth more. I'm not pressed about it, but if this type of exclusivity is bad because it's one that G2+ dragons only can participate in, then I guess it is.
gemajgall wrote on 2022-06-16 08:46:15:
This means we are fine with the exclusive elitism for only G1/raffle dragons, only old dragons, and only the literal one in a hundred million dragons. There is no way for G2+ dragons to be worth the prestige/treasure/ego/whatever. We already have dragons that are visually identical to one another that are "better" in that they are worth more.

I'm not pressed about it, but if this type of exclusivity is bad because it's one that G2+ dragons only can participate in, then I guess it is.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2022-06-16 09:00:51" ] This means we are fine with the exclusive elitism for only G1/raffle dragons, only old dragons, and only the literal one in a hundred million dragons. There is no way for G2+ dragons to be worth the prestige/treasure/ego/whatever. We already have dragons that are visually identical to one another that are "better" in that they are worth more. I'm not pressed about it, but if this type of exclusivity is bad because it's one that G2+ dragons only can participate in, then I guess it is. [/quote] I think I get what you're saying (?) on one hand it would make G2s more elite... they certainly aren't elite comapred to G1s... I tend to say "fun facts" another person says "elitism" but I'm not invested in this suggestion either way. Off the bat, I dislike Ancient and Silhouette icons and even Familiar icons; the only one I like is EY icon. So unless the "As Hatched" icon was cute and subtle, I probably wouldn't like it for being ugly. That's the main thing.
Almedha wrote on 2022-06-16 09:00:51:
This means we are fine with the exclusive elitism for only G1/raffle dragons, only old dragons, and only the literal one in a hundred million dragons. There is no way for G2+ dragons to be worth the prestige/treasure/ego/whatever. We already have dragons that are visually identical to one another that are "better" in that they are worth more.

I'm not pressed about it, but if this type of exclusivity is bad because it's one that G2+ dragons only can participate in, then I guess it is.

I think I get what you're saying (?) on one hand it would make G2s more elite... they certainly aren't elite comapred to G1s...

I tend to say "fun facts" another person says "elitism" but I'm not invested in this suggestion either way.

Off the bat, I dislike Ancient and Silhouette icons and even Familiar icons; the only one I like is EY icon. So unless the "As Hatched" icon was cute and subtle, I probably wouldn't like it for being ugly. That's the main thing.
[quote name="Almedha" date="2022-06-16 08:37:01" ] [quote name="ColonelChicken" date="2022-06-16 07:20:00" ] Seems like a lot of work for a marker that so few dragons would even have... Is there even such a thing as dragons who hatches and then their owner(s) never do anything with them? Not even change their genes?? I know I wouldn't use such a thing, I can't think of a single dragon I've owned who would fit the bill. [/quote] I know two of my five first page dragons for that bill. I bought them hours old and I've never changed them. Twenty-five of the dragons on the next page are the same story, or I hatched them myself. Have you really changed the genes of a hundred dragons? You haven't found a single dragon that you bought and liked as-is? [/quote] I have 650 dragons and I only gened like 5-10? One project at a time, you know?
Almedha wrote on 2022-06-16 08:37:01:
I know two of my five first page dragons for that bill. I bought them hours old and I've never changed them. Twenty-five of the dragons on the next page are the same story, or I hatched them myself. Have you really changed the genes of a hundred dragons? You haven't found a single dragon that you bought and liked as-is?

I have 650 dragons and I only gened like 5-10? One project at a time, you know?
[quote name="ColonelChicken" date="2022-06-16 07:20:00" ] Seems like a lot of work for a marker that so few dragons would even have... Is there even such a thing as dragons who hatches and then their owner(s) never do anything with them? Not even change their genes?? I know I wouldn't use such a thing, I can't think of a single dragon I've owned who would fit the bill. [/quote] I usually buy dragons that are 'complete' as is. Only when new genes come out do I look to see if the dragon might look better with the new genes, but rarely have change it. The issue with the 'elitism' with gen1s and that is that is a player run market based upon a functionality of the dragon. In pretty much every site I have played, the players will find *some* way of creating 'elitism', whether it means obtaining only 'gen1s' or 'customs' or 'max stats' or whatever. Gen1s have an indicator because that is a indicator of their functionality. A non-bred gen1 can breed with every single dragon on site that is the opposite sex. Gen2+ and bred dragons have further restrictions on who they can breed with. Old dragons are, again, a player market. Just as Special ID dragons are. This is again the same on most sites I have played, where people are willing to pay extra for these dragons. But, again, ID is a site function to identify that dragon. An indicator that only said 'hey, at some point in this dragons' existence on site, someone applied *something* to it' does nothing. It indicates no unique function of that dragon, it isn't something that the site needs to identify the dragon. The main, and nearly only, reason to add it (especially as opposed to an optional 'log' of changes that people can completely opt out of/wipe) is to try to create a player run market for 'unchanged' dragons. In addition it would both bolster the whole issue of the 'natural primal' market that was brought up when the eye vials were brought out, and it would upset people who have 'natural special eyed' dragons because it would now mean those primal gen1s? can't be gened. Otherwise there would be no indicator that they didn't have a primal vial applied along with the genes. Which would most likely lead to the suggestion to have the ability to indicate WHAT was done to a dragon (did it have an eye vial applied? Gene Changed? Breed Changed? what), which then DOES lead to issues with elitism about which dragons are 'better'. I would support an optional log for each dragon that was visible only to the owner of the dragon and that could be wiped clean (as in even if you gave the dragon to someone else, THEY couldn't see what you wiped). It could have things like 'hatched on XXX' 'Applied Guardian Breed Change on YYY' and things like that. If someone didn't want that to be logged, they could turn it completely off (not recorded in 'secret' but just not recorded at all) and wipe it from dragons they obtain (orthat they had recording before they decided to turn it off).
I usually buy dragons that are 'complete' as is. Only when new genes come out do I look to see if the dragon might look better with the new genes, but rarely have change it.

The issue with the 'elitism' with gen1s and that is that is a player run market based upon a functionality of the dragon.

In pretty much every site I have played, the players will find *some* way of creating 'elitism', whether it means obtaining only 'gen1s' or 'customs' or 'max stats' or whatever.

Gen1s have an indicator because that is a indicator of their functionality. A non-bred gen1 can breed with every single dragon on site that is the opposite sex. Gen2+ and bred dragons have further restrictions on who they can breed with.

Old dragons are, again, a player market. Just as Special ID dragons are. This is again the same on most sites I have played, where people are willing to pay extra for these dragons. But, again, ID is a site function to identify that dragon.

An indicator that only said 'hey, at some point in this dragons' existence on site, someone applied *something* to it' does nothing. It indicates no unique function of that dragon, it isn't something that the site needs to identify the dragon. The main, and nearly only, reason to add it (especially as opposed to an optional 'log' of changes that people can completely opt out of/wipe) is to try to create a player run market for 'unchanged' dragons.

In addition it would both bolster the whole issue of the 'natural primal' market that was brought up when the eye vials were brought out, and it would upset people who have 'natural special eyed' dragons because it would now mean those primal gen1s? can't be gened. Otherwise there would be no indicator that they didn't have a primal vial applied along with the genes.

Which would most likely lead to the suggestion to have the ability to indicate WHAT was done to a dragon (did it have an eye vial applied? Gene Changed? Breed Changed? what), which then DOES lead to issues with elitism about which dragons are 'better'.

I would support an optional log for each dragon that was visible only to the owner of the dragon and that could be wiped clean (as in even if you gave the dragon to someone else, THEY couldn't see what you wiped).

It could have things like 'hatched on XXX' 'Applied Guardian Breed Change on YYY' and things like that. If someone didn't want that to be logged, they could turn it completely off (not recorded in 'secret' but just not recorded at all) and wipe it from dragons they obtain (orthat they had recording before they decided to turn it off).

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8