Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [Arlo] Making AAA less frustrating
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
I have a plot ready to unearth and I'm not going to claim it until something is done. Please, FR.
I have a plot ready to unearth and I'm not going to claim it until something is done. Please, FR.
JGnDE4d.gif
Decided to delete my old comments and write a new one now that I've had some time with Arlo and can give the game a fairer judgement.

In summary, the core is good but I agree that the feature comes off as frustrating, mainly due to lack of player agency and a lack of satisfaction.

The only thing I have control over is the magnifying glasses, and I can't even pick which tile those will mine. In the future we'll be able to pick different digsites, but otherwise everything is random. I want to be able to influence my gameplay and get the feeling I'm working towards the result I want.

When working, even when I unearth rewards, I feel awful. While the plots resetting is a neat mechanic there's no visual progression, I don't even see the tiles I uncover because they're so far down the page. I feel I spend more time in dialogue windows than engaging with the feature. I want to feel satisfaction as I unearth my plots.

My third and final frustration is with the loading. It's fine with most other features, but with the amount of times you have to update Arlo's page and ever time I can visibly see the tiles and images load, it's distracting and takes away the immersion.

That's my three core frustrations. I don't think the game needs a big overhaul, but a few smaller changes would be neat. If I could chose one way to improve each frustration...

1) Give us a wider variety of tools, especially ones where we can pick specific tiles. Dynamite has been suggested often, who doesn't like to blow things up?

2) A more satisfying visual indicator when we unearth plots. What if there was a banner and every time you unearthed a new plot it added that image to the banner?

3) Split the digsites into smaller sites. I doubt the loading would go away completely, but it should hopefully help somewhat.
Decided to delete my old comments and write a new one now that I've had some time with Arlo and can give the game a fairer judgement.

In summary, the core is good but I agree that the feature comes off as frustrating, mainly due to lack of player agency and a lack of satisfaction.

The only thing I have control over is the magnifying glasses, and I can't even pick which tile those will mine. In the future we'll be able to pick different digsites, but otherwise everything is random. I want to be able to influence my gameplay and get the feeling I'm working towards the result I want.

When working, even when I unearth rewards, I feel awful. While the plots resetting is a neat mechanic there's no visual progression, I don't even see the tiles I uncover because they're so far down the page. I feel I spend more time in dialogue windows than engaging with the feature. I want to feel satisfaction as I unearth my plots.

My third and final frustration is with the loading. It's fine with most other features, but with the amount of times you have to update Arlo's page and ever time I can visibly see the tiles and images load, it's distracting and takes away the immersion.

That's my three core frustrations. I don't think the game needs a big overhaul, but a few smaller changes would be neat. If I could chose one way to improve each frustration...

1) Give us a wider variety of tools, especially ones where we can pick specific tiles. Dynamite has been suggested often, who doesn't like to blow things up?

2) A more satisfying visual indicator when we unearth plots. What if there was a banner and every time you unearthed a new plot it added that image to the banner?

3) Split the digsites into smaller sites. I doubt the loading would go away completely, but it should hopefully help somewhat.
I already voiced support here a couple times, but I'm back to share something that happened today.

I need mostly magnifying glasses so I can finish plots that are close to being completed and speed up progress on the Ground plot because I have a dragon that needs that gene.

Today, I got 10 pickaxes and 1 magnifying glass. The pickaxes are mostly hitting familiar plots I've already completed and apparel plots that I'm currently not focusing on.

While it's nice to have the hibden tasks for duplicate familiars, it's also pretty frustrating to start a rugged work order and feel like I've made no progress on anything I need! A flat rate for tools would at least help a little!
I already voiced support here a couple times, but I'm back to share something that happened today.

I need mostly magnifying glasses so I can finish plots that are close to being completed and speed up progress on the Ground plot because I have a dragon that needs that gene.

Today, I got 10 pickaxes and 1 magnifying glass. The pickaxes are mostly hitting familiar plots I've already completed and apparel plots that I'm currently not focusing on.

While it's nice to have the hibden tasks for duplicate familiars, it's also pretty frustrating to start a rugged work order and feel like I've made no progress on anything I need! A flat rate for tools would at least help a little!
jzvbXGV.pngsignatureletsmakesomescience_by_starryspelunker-da15fz6.pngeqUNHue.png
Honestly for me anyway, having Arlo items unlock HibDen slots is worse, not better. Or at best, a wash.

Because:
(a) those Arlo item unlocks have pushed out actually doable item unlocks for the HibDen (seriously because of this I'm now down to stuff that requires genes, eggs, runes, and rare coli familiars - mostly rare coli familiars - I haven't gotten yet) So now if I need more hibden slots I need to spend even more treasure/work even harder to clear at least one of these high-cost guys in the hope of getting some more reachable hibden goals back on my list of '10 available tasks'... and from the looks of the task list I'm going to have to clear ALL the dino tasks before I can get back to the one I was actually working on. ugh. >_< At least the dino familiars will probably be cheap enough soon to just buy...

(b) since the exp cap is STILL not raised, I'd be wasting even more exp and tools if I did try to get extras of these Arlo items for the Hibden unlocks (which I have no intention of doing).

(c) the hibden slots will only be good for 'trashing' extra items ONCE and then we're back to full wastage of time again instead of 99% wastage of time.

This is just not fun at all. I feel like I'm being punished for just normal interacting with Arlo. 13 days (really, 12 because I only used 1 tool on the 13th day). That's all it took to hit the exp cap. Not even two weeks! (and not even half the items). That's way too low.

I will continue to muster every day (losing exp) and sending notes to friends every day (losing exp) but I am not going to do another thing with Arlo at all until the exp cap is raised. It's a complete waste of time, and a vampire drain on my mood.

Let me be clear: I do think there needs to be an exp cap, just like there is for Baldwin, or Gathering, etc. It just needs to be *higher* than it currently is. At *least* high enough to gather one of each item in the current dig site (I'd set that at 7~10xp * total # of squares), and preferably +1 level above that, so that we can work ahead a little bit. *Then* I would be perfectly happy to sit at that exp cap just like I'm already sitting at the other caps. I would have gotten something for my time, a little bit of prep towards whatever digsite comes next, and the option to keep digging if I felt like it/wanted more items. But right now, no. It's too low, so I feel like I'm getting zero return if I dig now, like there's no point even finishing the digsite.
Honestly for me anyway, having Arlo items unlock HibDen slots is worse, not better. Or at best, a wash.

Because:
(a) those Arlo item unlocks have pushed out actually doable item unlocks for the HibDen (seriously because of this I'm now down to stuff that requires genes, eggs, runes, and rare coli familiars - mostly rare coli familiars - I haven't gotten yet) So now if I need more hibden slots I need to spend even more treasure/work even harder to clear at least one of these high-cost guys in the hope of getting some more reachable hibden goals back on my list of '10 available tasks'... and from the looks of the task list I'm going to have to clear ALL the dino tasks before I can get back to the one I was actually working on. ugh. >_< At least the dino familiars will probably be cheap enough soon to just buy...

(b) since the exp cap is STILL not raised, I'd be wasting even more exp and tools if I did try to get extras of these Arlo items for the Hibden unlocks (which I have no intention of doing).

(c) the hibden slots will only be good for 'trashing' extra items ONCE and then we're back to full wastage of time again instead of 99% wastage of time.

This is just not fun at all. I feel like I'm being punished for just normal interacting with Arlo. 13 days (really, 12 because I only used 1 tool on the 13th day). That's all it took to hit the exp cap. Not even two weeks! (and not even half the items). That's way too low.

I will continue to muster every day (losing exp) and sending notes to friends every day (losing exp) but I am not going to do another thing with Arlo at all until the exp cap is raised. It's a complete waste of time, and a vampire drain on my mood.

Let me be clear: I do think there needs to be an exp cap, just like there is for Baldwin, or Gathering, etc. It just needs to be *higher* than it currently is. At *least* high enough to gather one of each item in the current dig site (I'd set that at 7~10xp * total # of squares), and preferably +1 level above that, so that we can work ahead a little bit. *Then* I would be perfectly happy to sit at that exp cap just like I'm already sitting at the other caps. I would have gotten something for my time, a little bit of prep towards whatever digsite comes next, and the option to keep digging if I felt like it/wanted more items. But right now, no. It's too low, so I feel like I'm getting zero return if I dig now, like there's no point even finishing the digsite.
Come to the dork side. Do not make me de-story you. Image © Diaktoros
DriftAwayBanner_zpsd03e0e45.jpg tumblr_om7wmtaZKm1w2diclo1_100.png
DNOE36T.png
(water-only links)
[quote name="BlueTrillium" date="2022-02-22 15:58:32" ] This is just not fun at all. I feel like I'm being punished for just normal interacting with Arlo. 13 days (really, 12 because I only used 1 tool on the 13th day). That's all it took to hit the exp cap. Not even two weeks! (and not even half the items). That's way too low. I will continue to muster every day (losing exp) and sending notes to friends every day (losing exp) but I am not going to do another thing with Arlo at all until the exp cap is raised. It's a complete waste of time, and a vampire drain on my mood. Let me be clear: I do think there needs to be an exp cap, just like there is for Baldwin, or Gathering, etc. It just needs to be *higher* than it currently is. At *least* high enough to gather one of each item in the current dig site (I'd set that at 7~10xp * total # of squares), and preferably +1 level above that, so that we can work ahead a little bit. *Then* I would be perfectly happy to sit at that exp cap just like I'm already sitting at the other caps. I would have gotten something for my time, a little bit of prep towards whatever digsite comes next, and the option to keep digging if I felt like it/wanted more items. But right now, no. It's too low, so I feel like I'm getting zero return if I dig now, like there's no point even finishing the digsite. [/quote] Yeah, unfortunately I'm feeling something similar. I'm about ~one active day away from hitting the EXP cap, and given that I don't want to waste EXP, I'm not making progress on anything other than mustering daily.(3 familiars unlocked, that's it.) I was excited for this, but especially after one of the familiar tiles is now only 4-5 tiles away from unlocking *again* despite not using a single magnifying glass on it, plus the EXP cap, my enthusiasm has sadly waned. As other people in this thread, I believe, have said that they'd like to be able to see all the tiles unlocked and not force-claim, I agree - I'd love to be able to feel a sense of accomplishment at finishing things and keeping their pictures uncovered rather than frustration at it being covered right back over and having my resources being wasted on stuff I don't want. I'm just in it for one of everything - once I get that, I'm more than happy to leave all the unlocked pictures as-is, if that's a feature that gets implimented.
BlueTrillium wrote on 2022-02-22 15:58:32:

Yeah, unfortunately I'm feeling something similar. I'm about ~one active day away from hitting the EXP cap, and given that I don't want to waste EXP, I'm not making progress on anything other than mustering daily.(3 familiars unlocked, that's it.)

I was excited for this, but especially after one of the familiar tiles is now only 4-5 tiles away from unlocking *again* despite not using a single magnifying glass on it, plus the EXP cap, my enthusiasm has sadly waned.

As other people in this thread, I believe, have said that they'd like to be able to see all the tiles unlocked and not force-claim, I agree - I'd love to be able to feel a sense of accomplishment at finishing things and keeping their pictures uncovered rather than frustration at it being covered right back over and having my resources being wasted on stuff I don't want. I'm just in it for one of everything - once I get that, I'm more than happy to leave all the unlocked pictures as-is, if that's a feature that gets implimented.
Digital Artist! Check out my website, Patreon!

header_image.png
Support. A lot of people have articulated my feelings better than I can, but I'll take a stab at my biggest gripes:
  • I feel like I'm babysitting a button, particularly because the tiles white out on reload. I have a gaming laptop, designed to handle graphics, and I never see the "crumble" effect. While babysitting is also an issue at Baldwin's, I feel like there's at least a benefit to doing with him: I can stockpile materials for the future. Also, he's been around long enough that if I'm getting tired of babysitting him, I can ignore him without feeling like I'm going to fall behind. Arlo hasn't been around long enough for me to even gather one of everything, and already I have negative feelings about babysitting him, and free stuff is not enough to overcome them.
  • Forcing me to claim a reward before continuing. Once I uncovered my first plot, I tried to get around the RNG by only using magnifying glasses to uncover plots so that I'd have a "clean" dig; it was going to be a slog, uncovering everything that way. And then someone sent me research notes. Where did they land? The one plot I'd completed. As a completionist, this is obnoxious and frustrating.
  • The random apparel boxes. I don't care about the dino armor, and I am never going to use them in an outfit if they remain RNG-based. There's no point; the effort it takes to get them is not worth the reward, particularly since you can get duplicates of a single item. The Hazel Harvest bundle was a bad idea and this is worse.
The announcement that Arlo's items will be used for the Hib Den indicates to me that the devs do not intend to change his mechanics, and I'm not happy about that.
Support. A lot of people have articulated my feelings better than I can, but I'll take a stab at my biggest gripes:
  • I feel like I'm babysitting a button, particularly because the tiles white out on reload. I have a gaming laptop, designed to handle graphics, and I never see the "crumble" effect. While babysitting is also an issue at Baldwin's, I feel like there's at least a benefit to doing with him: I can stockpile materials for the future. Also, he's been around long enough that if I'm getting tired of babysitting him, I can ignore him without feeling like I'm going to fall behind. Arlo hasn't been around long enough for me to even gather one of everything, and already I have negative feelings about babysitting him, and free stuff is not enough to overcome them.
  • Forcing me to claim a reward before continuing. Once I uncovered my first plot, I tried to get around the RNG by only using magnifying glasses to uncover plots so that I'd have a "clean" dig; it was going to be a slog, uncovering everything that way. And then someone sent me research notes. Where did they land? The one plot I'd completed. As a completionist, this is obnoxious and frustrating.
  • The random apparel boxes. I don't care about the dino armor, and I am never going to use them in an outfit if they remain RNG-based. There's no point; the effort it takes to get them is not worth the reward, particularly since you can get duplicates of a single item. The Hazel Harvest bundle was a bad idea and this is worse.
The announcement that Arlo's items will be used for the Hib Den indicates to me that the devs do not intend to change his mechanics, and I'm not happy about that.

Projects
Wishlist
Bio Resources
Acp3eET.png*NIdUF6j.pngJKNmjbX.pngHFIQUjw.pngSFXnr9A.png2KqnYj4.pngUifrkF6.pnghBq372b.pngK4kr5BC.pngEeIVgVi.png8ayfQ7p.pngemtOFWD.pngfNFWviE.pngWANW32a.png6l90A3T.pngUS7UtHx.png
I have to agree.. Having some items part of the hibden tasks, feels like a bandage dipped in salt and lemon juice. It might seem like it is helpful but it really isn't, because the base issues remain.

So far I've uncovered 10 of the 16 plots. When that happened (a lot of plots finished the same day using magnifying glasses), I had 70 covered tiles leftover on the remaining plots.

A few days later, I have 50 covered tiles leftover on the remaining plots (so 20 tiles that I actually wanted uncovered) and over 120!!! tiles newly uncovered on duplicate plots, that I didn't want uncovered.

Xhaztol also basically confirmed in a post somewhere on the forums that each individual tile has an equal chance to be picked for notes and pickaxes. Basically that means that an entire plot that has been reset has a higher chance of being picked again compared to plots that you're still working on. That's just completely backwards and my above numbers prove that.

I don't even want to know what it'll be like when there's more digsites available, and you can't even dictate where your research notes go ;__;
I have to agree.. Having some items part of the hibden tasks, feels like a bandage dipped in salt and lemon juice. It might seem like it is helpful but it really isn't, because the base issues remain.

So far I've uncovered 10 of the 16 plots. When that happened (a lot of plots finished the same day using magnifying glasses), I had 70 covered tiles leftover on the remaining plots.

A few days later, I have 50 covered tiles leftover on the remaining plots (so 20 tiles that I actually wanted uncovered) and over 120!!! tiles newly uncovered on duplicate plots, that I didn't want uncovered.

Xhaztol also basically confirmed in a post somewhere on the forums that each individual tile has an equal chance to be picked for notes and pickaxes. Basically that means that an entire plot that has been reset has a higher chance of being picked again compared to plots that you're still working on. That's just completely backwards and my above numbers prove that.

I don't even want to know what it'll be like when there's more digsites available, and you can't even dictate where your research notes go ;__;
Support and boost for this thread, I agree Arlo could use some tweaks
Support and boost for this thread, I agree Arlo could use some tweaks
I’m coming back here after seeing the devs state that each individual tile can be selected - this is such a bad system. Why would each individual tile have a chance of being targeted? It ensures that we take one step forward, two steps back.

At the very least, they should randomize the plot, then the tile. And then we’d still be back to the issue where RNG selects completed plots…

I wish we could choose to keep plots completed, but the devs seem strangely stubborn about this point. I don’t think there’s any downside to letting people dig in the plots they want (or to save the completed images).

The process is so arduous and limited by daily resources anyway that the effect on the market if players choose to focus on specific items is not really a cause for concern. You can’t really “rush” Arlo if you get bad daily rolls for resources, people have to get lucky with their resource rolls - being the first person to get the item doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with strategy or intent. Why is it necessary to punish unlucky players? If the devs' intent is to force people to use magnifying glasses to uncover items they want / pickaxes to uncover as many plots as possible, then at least let people exchange the tools for a costlier exchange rate (it doesn't have to be 1:1).

I'm saying this as someone who doesn't mind exactly when I complete the plots (I have saved so many magnifying glasses since Day 1 that I can't even use them all in a single day, just in case one day there's an item I do care about). Arlo is not a reliable avenue of profit, and it shouldn't have to be; there are many other AH candidates that are far more steady and lucrative.

I can only imagine that people who actually want the Arlo items must be frustrated about the counterintuitive system. Don't just give players the illusion of control... that's just suggesting a promise that sets up players for disappointment. If there's insufficient control, Arlo may as well be Pinkerton. Nobody complains about Pinkerton. The question is whether Arlo is intended to be a fun interactive experience or a random slow loot piñata. If it's the former, then players need at least enough control to use some semblance of strategy that matters.
I’m coming back here after seeing the devs state that each individual tile can be selected - this is such a bad system. Why would each individual tile have a chance of being targeted? It ensures that we take one step forward, two steps back.

At the very least, they should randomize the plot, then the tile. And then we’d still be back to the issue where RNG selects completed plots…

I wish we could choose to keep plots completed, but the devs seem strangely stubborn about this point. I don’t think there’s any downside to letting people dig in the plots they want (or to save the completed images).

The process is so arduous and limited by daily resources anyway that the effect on the market if players choose to focus on specific items is not really a cause for concern. You can’t really “rush” Arlo if you get bad daily rolls for resources, people have to get lucky with their resource rolls - being the first person to get the item doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with strategy or intent. Why is it necessary to punish unlucky players? If the devs' intent is to force people to use magnifying glasses to uncover items they want / pickaxes to uncover as many plots as possible, then at least let people exchange the tools for a costlier exchange rate (it doesn't have to be 1:1).

I'm saying this as someone who doesn't mind exactly when I complete the plots (I have saved so many magnifying glasses since Day 1 that I can't even use them all in a single day, just in case one day there's an item I do care about). Arlo is not a reliable avenue of profit, and it shouldn't have to be; there are many other AH candidates that are far more steady and lucrative.

I can only imagine that people who actually want the Arlo items must be frustrated about the counterintuitive system. Don't just give players the illusion of control... that's just suggesting a promise that sets up players for disappointment. If there's insufficient control, Arlo may as well be Pinkerton. Nobody complains about Pinkerton. The question is whether Arlo is intended to be a fun interactive experience or a random slow loot piñata. If it's the former, then players need at least enough control to use some semblance of strategy that matters.
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but... Ya know how we can turn in a stack of research notes in return for more digging tools? Can we maybe get button that lets us turn in stacks of magnifying glasses for pick axes? I almost have 100 of the things at this point. I'll be honest, I don't have the patience for the magnifying glasses. I'd rather have the pick axes do their thing, and possibly unearth extra familiars/apparel (Baldwin fodder, whoo!!) then spend an entire hour on 6 little random squares.
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but... Ya know how we can turn in a stack of research notes in return for more digging tools? Can we maybe get button that lets us turn in stacks of magnifying glasses for pick axes? I almost have 100 of the things at this point. I'll be honest, I don't have the patience for the magnifying glasses. I'd rather have the pick axes do their thing, and possibly unearth extra familiars/apparel (Baldwin fodder, whoo!!) then spend an entire hour on 6 little random squares.
6wR17En.png
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16