Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Incentivize Socializing w/ Arlo
1 2 3 4 5
Just wanted to say I love the new update! But I have a few critiques about it with what we know so far.

With the new Arlo update, users can get extra pickaxes (which for now are by far the most valuable item if they want to unlock the plots as fast as possible) and lenses via donating to the guild (solo play). You have the option to donate to your friendslist, but you're not likely to get anything in return compared to if you just donated straight up to the guild. Unfortunately that's just how the math plays out. More people to add, less likely to directly be chosen, less likely to get boons or rewards.

The problem: this feature was meant to be a "community" feature. I propose we switch the two - users get extra items if they share with their friendslist instead of donating solo. It should still be possible to get extra via soloplay, but as is it's kind of pointless to be adding users to randomly share with them since you're actually losing out if you do so. I understand not everyone is a social player, but as a social game I think it would be better to incentivize the sharing aspect of notes because otherwise it becomes like everything else that we have already with no incentive to share.

I'm also worried about the RNG of the feature - while I have nothing against RNG in general, apparently you can dig the same plot squares twice which means you might get a waste of a pickaxe one day. I feel this should at least be reserved until after you at least have one copy of the item. If you want multiple copies of an item, this is especially important.

As is this feels like Baldwin 2.0 which means a lot of people are gonna be dropping it after the hype dies.

Just wanted to say I love the new update! But I have a few critiques about it with what we know so far.

With the new Arlo update, users can get extra pickaxes (which for now are by far the most valuable item if they want to unlock the plots as fast as possible) and lenses via donating to the guild (solo play). You have the option to donate to your friendslist, but you're not likely to get anything in return compared to if you just donated straight up to the guild. Unfortunately that's just how the math plays out. More people to add, less likely to directly be chosen, less likely to get boons or rewards.

The problem: this feature was meant to be a "community" feature. I propose we switch the two - users get extra items if they share with their friendslist instead of donating solo. It should still be possible to get extra via soloplay, but as is it's kind of pointless to be adding users to randomly share with them since you're actually losing out if you do so. I understand not everyone is a social player, but as a social game I think it would be better to incentivize the sharing aspect of notes because otherwise it becomes like everything else that we have already with no incentive to share.

I'm also worried about the RNG of the feature - while I have nothing against RNG in general, apparently you can dig the same plot squares twice which means you might get a waste of a pickaxe one day. I feel this should at least be reserved until after you at least have one copy of the item. If you want multiple copies of an item, this is especially important.

As is this feels like Baldwin 2.0 which means a lot of people are gonna be dropping it after the hype dies.

No support. The social aspect is giving something to a friend, not getting something out of it yourself. As you noted, adding random people rather than actual friends makes it less useful, too. I wouldn’t mind if it was buffed slightly to allow the person that received the notes to choose the plot to work on, though. Considering that the game is not, in fact, particularly socially oriented (you never have to use the forums, and don’t really miss out on anything), there are probably a lot of players that have never touched the forums or friend requests, making the feature pretty useless to them beyond the once a day RNG. If you want to benefit yourself, just sell to the guild.
No support. The social aspect is giving something to a friend, not getting something out of it yourself. As you noted, adding random people rather than actual friends makes it less useful, too. I wouldn’t mind if it was buffed slightly to allow the person that received the notes to choose the plot to work on, though. Considering that the game is not, in fact, particularly socially oriented (you never have to use the forums, and don’t really miss out on anything), there are probably a lot of players that have never touched the forums or friend requests, making the feature pretty useless to them beyond the once a day RNG. If you want to benefit yourself, just sell to the guild.
@Kutabe But don't you think we should have some community features where soloplay is the less incentivized option?

This was originally intended to be that - something to actually use friendslists for even for people who did not have IRL friends who play FR (I don't). I just think it needs some tweaks to really work. Soloplay should be kept alone, but it would be nice if there was actual incentive to be an active and social player (and it would also benefit FR since that's part of their business plan) past "well, there's goodwill I guess though you'll technically both be missing out than if you just did it solo".

As is this just feels like the tedium of Baldwin. I'm still really excited for the new features, but I was hoping to shake things up a little.
@Kutabe But don't you think we should have some community features where soloplay is the less incentivized option?

This was originally intended to be that - something to actually use friendslists for even for people who did not have IRL friends who play FR (I don't). I just think it needs some tweaks to really work. Soloplay should be kept alone, but it would be nice if there was actual incentive to be an active and social player (and it would also benefit FR since that's part of their business plan) past "well, there's goodwill I guess though you'll technically both be missing out than if you just did it solo".

As is this just feels like the tedium of Baldwin. I'm still really excited for the new features, but I was hoping to shake things up a little.
I would be fine with making sharing more beneficial to the sharer, but not making it more beneficial than not socializing. I don't want to be punished for my small friends list nor do I want to be sent even more unwelcome friend requests than I already get. FR does not need to be a social game and I dislike the addition of social features that cannot be truly disabled (looking at you, likes system) and even further dislike social features that penalize not being a social person.
I would be fine with making sharing more beneficial to the sharer, but not making it more beneficial than not socializing. I don't want to be punished for my small friends list nor do I want to be sent even more unwelcome friend requests than I already get. FR does not need to be a social game and I dislike the addition of social features that cannot be truly disabled (looking at you, likes system) and even further dislike social features that penalize not being a social person.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
No support. People should be able to play how they like and not be punished for it. This is coming from an extremely social player.
No support. People should be able to play how they like and not be punished for it. This is coming from an extremely social player.
Square-3.png Wolf_26299_3_15.png
FAQ & About Me
Dragons for Sale

FR +0 | She/Her | AuDHD
72918353.png square2.png
[quote name="@komor3bi" date="2022-02-07 15:09:22" ] Kutabe But don't you think we should have some community features where soloplay is the less incentivized option? This was originally intended to be that - something to actually use friendslists for even for people who did not have IRL friends who play FR (I don't). I just think it needs some tweaks to really work. [/quote] Not the person you asked, but, no. I don't. people play these types of games for many reasons, and some of those are because they *don't* want to socialize, and I would rather not see a facebook-esque situation here: where users are encouraged to friend random people in order to get distinct advantages in game. To me, the biggest issue is that I don't feel that FR is a social game. It is a game on the internet, but that doen't automatically make it a social game. A social game would have many aspects that all encourage people to work together, or interact with each other, and FR doesn't have those. For instance: Like Aywas or Felisfire, where you ahve to visit profiles to trick or treat. I actually like that. I don't like 'social' games, and hate it when I have to bloat my friends list in order to make a mechanic more useful. I personally am disappointed they kept with the send to random friends. I would have far prefered just a generic 'send to random online/active people' and leave the 'send to specific friends' be the one that uses friends list. So, I really don't want them to make Arlo even more focused on people needing to be social, or encouraging sending random friend requests.
@komor3bi wrote on 2022-02-07 15:09:22:
Kutabe But don't you think we should have some community features where soloplay is the less incentivized option?

This was originally intended to be that - something to actually use friendslists for even for people who did not have IRL friends who play FR (I don't). I just think it needs some tweaks to really work.
Not the person you asked, but, no. I don't.

people play these types of games for many reasons, and some of those are because they *don't* want to socialize, and I would rather not see a facebook-esque situation here: where users are encouraged to friend random people in order to get distinct advantages in game.

To me, the biggest issue is that I don't feel that FR is a social game. It is a game on the internet, but that doen't automatically make it a social game. A social game would have many aspects that all encourage people to work together, or interact with each other, and FR doesn't have those. For instance: Like Aywas or Felisfire, where you ahve to visit profiles to trick or treat.

I actually like that. I don't like 'social' games, and hate it when I have to bloat my friends list in order to make a mechanic more useful.

I personally am disappointed they kept with the send to random friends. I would have far prefered just a generic 'send to random online/active people' and leave the 'send to specific friends' be the one that uses friends list.

So, I really don't want them to make Arlo even more focused on people needing to be social, or encouraging sending random friend requests.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Hmm. I get the frustration, but Im gonna have to say no support. I honestly really like the solo option as is, its the social one that needs a tweak ot buff. The ability to choose where the research note goes would be great. A chance for an extra item along with it would be golden.
Hmm. I get the frustration, but Im gonna have to say no support. I honestly really like the solo option as is, its the social one that needs a tweak ot buff. The ability to choose where the research note goes would be great. A chance for an extra item along with it would be golden.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
I have to say no support. The only reason I'm bothering to add most peeps to my list that I'm not actually friends with is because of Arlo, not because I actually want to.

This game could be played entirely solo, up until the release or Arlo there was no need to ever talk to peeps because you could do everything yourself, and personally while I like Arlo I don't want to see any more mechanics that give rewards for socializing.
Not all peeps are social & shouldn't feel forced to be just to play a game that was never a social game to begin with.
I have to say no support. The only reason I'm bothering to add most peeps to my list that I'm not actually friends with is because of Arlo, not because I actually want to.

This game could be played entirely solo, up until the release or Arlo there was no need to ever talk to peeps because you could do everything yourself, and personally while I like Arlo I don't want to see any more mechanics that give rewards for socializing.
Not all peeps are social & shouldn't feel forced to be just to play a game that was never a social game to begin with.
Also keep in mind that I'm not the most social person at all - I totally understand not wanting Facebook tier of "interconnectedness" (yikes). I'm a rather asocial person but surprisingly it's partly the social aspect of FR that keeps me going - since it's already so detached. Because of that, I was pretty excited for the feature.

Just thinking this is pretty mediocre for the people who don't mind the detached form of socializing it already is, since the purpose of it was to be a new feature instead of more of the same.

I don't personally see it as "punishing" less social players as they'd just get slower rewards (but still the same amounts). I just don't think everything should be solo first, if that makes sense. The solo players would not be locked out of anything which I think is more important than getting something on a slightly slower timeframe.
Also keep in mind that I'm not the most social person at all - I totally understand not wanting Facebook tier of "interconnectedness" (yikes). I'm a rather asocial person but surprisingly it's partly the social aspect of FR that keeps me going - since it's already so detached. Because of that, I was pretty excited for the feature.

Just thinking this is pretty mediocre for the people who don't mind the detached form of socializing it already is, since the purpose of it was to be a new feature instead of more of the same.

I don't personally see it as "punishing" less social players as they'd just get slower rewards (but still the same amounts). I just don't think everything should be solo first, if that makes sense. The solo players would not be locked out of anything which I think is more important than getting something on a slightly slower timeframe.
[quote name="Medenadragon" date="2022-02-07 15:18:56" ] Hmm. I get the frustration, but Im gonna have to say no support. I honestly really like the solo option as is, its the social one that needs a tweak ot buff. The ability to choose where the research note goes would be great. A chance for an extra item along with it would be golden. [/quote] Yes, I think the solo option should stay as is, however there needs to be a way for people who give out the notes to actually get something in return. So no support to this suggestion, but there is definitely a big issue here.
Medenadragon wrote on 2022-02-07 15:18:56:
Yes, I think the solo option should stay as is, however there needs to be a way for people who give out the notes to actually get something in return.
So no support to this suggestion, but there is definitely a big issue here.
1 2 3 4 5