Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Incentivize Socializing w/ Arlo
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="komor3bi" date="2022-02-07 15:09:22" ] @/Kutabe But don't you think we should have some community features where soloplay is the less incentivized option? This was originally intended to be that - something to actually use friendslists for even for people who did not have IRL friends who play FR (I don't). I just think it needs some tweaks to really work. Soloplay should be kept alone, but it would be nice if there was actual incentive to be an active and social player (and it would also benefit FR since that's part of their business plan) past "well, there's goodwill I guess though you'll technically both be missing out than if you just did it solo". As is this just feels like the tedium of Baldwin. I'm still really excited for the new features, but I was hoping to shake things up a little. [/quote] Nope. I’ve played way too many games that, at some point, in some feature, practically required you to friend a bunch of randos if you wanted to make any sort of progress in a reasonable amount of time. Social players have an option of what to do with their notes. Unsocial players don’t. You can also trade items you’ve dug up with your solo notes to your friends, if you’d like.
komor3bi wrote on 2022-02-07 15:09:22:
@/Kutabe But don't you think we should have some community features where soloplay is the less incentivized option?

This was originally intended to be that - something to actually use friendslists for even for people who did not have IRL friends who play FR (I don't). I just think it needs some tweaks to really work. Soloplay should be kept alone, but it would be nice if there was actual incentive to be an active and social player (and it would also benefit FR since that's part of their business plan) past "well, there's goodwill I guess though you'll technically both be missing out than if you just did it solo".

As is this just feels like the tedium of Baldwin. I'm still really excited for the new features, but I was hoping to shake things up a little.
Nope. I’ve played way too many games that, at some point, in some feature, practically required you to friend a bunch of randos if you wanted to make any sort of progress in a reasonable amount of time. Social players have an option of what to do with their notes. Unsocial players don’t. You can also trade items you’ve dug up with your solo notes to your friends, if you’d like.
[quote name="komor3bi" date="2022-02-07 15:21:56" ] Also keep in mind that I'm not the most social person at all - I totally understand not wanting Facebook tier of "interconnectedness" (yikes). Just thinking this is pretty mediocre for the people who don't mind the detached form of socializing it already is. Since the purpose of it was to be a new feature instead of more of the same. I don't personally see it as "punishing" less social players; they'd just get slower rewards (but still the same amounts). [/quote] That is kinda punishing though. It shouldn't take longer for a peep to get something just because they don't talk to peeps. This game wasn't like that before, changing it now is just going to make peeps mad. I'll use Baldwin as a example & I'll use Player A & Player B in this example as well. My example may also not make sense to others either. Player A is a social peep, while Player B is a non-social. If both joined today they could hit lvl 25 on baldwin at the exact same time, why? Because they both have equal in-game opportunities to do so. There's no bonus for peeps who socialize or who don't socialize. Now lets say they add in a mechanic like Arlo to him, where you get to max faster for socialize with peeps. Player A would now have a advantage over Player B. Player B would either be *punished* by getting the exact same rewards slower, just because they don't wanna talk to peeps for whatever reason. Or they would be forced to talk to peeps when they don't want to just to get a equal chance with the *social* players. Either way, that's not right to do to someone who up until now, could play the game without ever talking to someone & other then *maybe* using the auction house even interacting with them.
komor3bi wrote on 2022-02-07 15:21:56:
Also keep in mind that I'm not the most social person at all - I totally understand not wanting Facebook tier of "interconnectedness" (yikes).

Just thinking this is pretty mediocre for the people who don't mind the detached form of socializing it already is. Since the purpose of it was to be a new feature instead of more of the same.

I don't personally see it as "punishing" less social players; they'd just get slower rewards (but still the same amounts).
That is kinda punishing though. It shouldn't take longer for a peep to get something just because they don't talk to peeps. This game wasn't like that before, changing it now is just going to make peeps mad.

I'll use Baldwin as a example & I'll use Player A & Player B in this example as well.
My example may also not make sense to others either.

Player A is a social peep, while Player B is a non-social. If both joined today they could hit lvl 25 on baldwin at the exact same time, why? Because they both have equal in-game opportunities to do so. There's no bonus for peeps who socialize or who don't socialize.

Now lets say they add in a mechanic like Arlo to him, where you get to max faster for socialize with peeps.

Player A would now have a advantage over Player B.
Player B would either be *punished* by getting the exact same rewards slower, just because they don't wanna talk to peeps for whatever reason.
Or they would be forced to talk to peeps when they don't want to just to get a equal chance with the *social* players.
Either way, that's not right to do to someone who up until now, could play the game without ever talking to someone & other then *maybe* using the auction house even interacting with them.
@Kutabe Yeah, I wouldn't want it to that extreme either. I'm well aware most games prey on that ability. When I say incentivize, I definitely don't mean to THAT extreme.

But I do think there should be something more than just this.
@Kutabe Yeah, I wouldn't want it to that extreme either. I'm well aware most games prey on that ability. When I say incentivize, I definitely don't mean to THAT extreme.

But I do think there should be something more than just this.
I re-read the new post, and realized something.

Donating to the guild (solo play) rewards you extra resources, but 1) they had to be done in bundles of 8, and 2) donating itself does not reward any experience. Sharing with friends will give you experience. At this stage I do not know how many extra resources we get from solo play, but I feel as long as it doesn't exceed 8 (how many notes you turn in) it's okay?

I don't know, I feel we don't need to change them both. Maybe we need more tweaks for the social option (like seeing who helped you as mentioned in another suggestion) so people can return the favour or arrange 'trades' if they want to, but we certainly do not need to nerf the solo play rewards. There had already been many disadvantage for playing solo, we don't really need more. Especially when FR is NOT a social platform in its core.

Donating to the guild (solo play) rewards you extra resources, but 1) they had to be done in bundles of 8, and 2) donating itself does not reward any experience. Sharing with friends will give you experience. At this stage I do not know how many extra resources we get from solo play, but I feel as long as it doesn't exceed 8 (how many notes you turn in) it's okay?

I don't know, I feel we don't need to change them both. Maybe we need more tweaks for the social option (like seeing who helped you as mentioned in another suggestion) so people can return the favour or arrange 'trades' if they want to, but we certainly do not need to nerf the solo play rewards. There had already been many disadvantage for playing solo, we don't really need more. Especially when FR is NOT a social platform in its core.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
I thought having a social feature was fun, it's odd to me that I could well get more benefit from hoarding those items. It leaves social play feeling very one-sided. While I wouldn't want it to be weighted as better than asocial play, I do think it shouldn't be discouraged as it seems now. Let me think of how this could be balanced...

- People on your friends list who haven't yet received research notes have an increased chance of receiving them. While it's still possible that you won't get notes at all, it makes it more likely you'll get at least one.

- Perhaps for every 10 or so research notes given (or at least more than the amount needed to trade them in for more pickaxes and magnifying glasses) you get a similar reward of tools in return. This way at least if you aren't getting research notes back when you send them out, you at least get something.
I thought having a social feature was fun, it's odd to me that I could well get more benefit from hoarding those items. It leaves social play feeling very one-sided. While I wouldn't want it to be weighted as better than asocial play, I do think it shouldn't be discouraged as it seems now. Let me think of how this could be balanced...

- People on your friends list who haven't yet received research notes have an increased chance of receiving them. While it's still possible that you won't get notes at all, it makes it more likely you'll get at least one.

- Perhaps for every 10 or so research notes given (or at least more than the amount needed to trade them in for more pickaxes and magnifying glasses) you get a similar reward of tools in return. This way at least if you aren't getting research notes back when you send them out, you at least get something.
AbwaPSg.png
xxxxx xrdZoYH.pngOxagJgG.pngmxZJBlR.png
Q0p4QGz.png1j2YGao.pngLvsm6NG.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dEo6ta2.png
nWiQNX9.png
No support.

I think this feature balances communal play and solo play about as best it can without outright catering to one or the other.

The original Dev post about Arlo had stated you would get treasure for your research notes instead of additional tools. I was fine with that aspect as well (as I felt treasure was a fair compensation for not engaging with the communal aspect) but the Devs obviously felt that being compensated with additional tools was more fair.

At best, I would support the treasure aspect being put back into place instead of the additional tools but since the Devs obviously chose to change that feature based on the feedback they received, I don't see much point to supporting that either.
No support.

I think this feature balances communal play and solo play about as best it can without outright catering to one or the other.

The original Dev post about Arlo had stated you would get treasure for your research notes instead of additional tools. I was fine with that aspect as well (as I felt treasure was a fair compensation for not engaging with the communal aspect) but the Devs obviously felt that being compensated with additional tools was more fair.

At best, I would support the treasure aspect being put back into place instead of the additional tools but since the Devs obviously chose to change that feature based on the feedback they received, I don't see much point to supporting that either.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
Partial support.

I don't think the options should be straight-up swapped, but it does seem like they're perhaps a little out of balance in terms of what you get out of it for the social element.

Personally, I'd love to have the notes-sharing be more targeted: like if they corresponded to specific (rather than randomized) tiles, and we could see who on our friends list needed what. That would make it feel a lot more like genuine collaboration to me, and also help ensure that the social element resulted in helping accounts that aren't merely active, but active and also using Arlo.
Partial support.

I don't think the options should be straight-up swapped, but it does seem like they're perhaps a little out of balance in terms of what you get out of it for the social element.

Personally, I'd love to have the notes-sharing be more targeted: like if they corresponded to specific (rather than randomized) tiles, and we could see who on our friends list needed what. That would make it feel a lot more like genuine collaboration to me, and also help ensure that the social element resulted in helping accounts that aren't merely active, but active and also using Arlo.
pixel art adopt of Snowdrop the veilspun, by Ambulocetus

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
I think it's fine as it is, really. With the cost of the "send to guild" option and the "send to friend" options giving experience I think it's as balanced as it's going to get. I'd rather not see it change.
I think it's fine as it is, really. With the cost of the "send to guild" option and the "send to friend" options giving experience I think it's as balanced as it's going to get. I'd rather not see it change.
He/she/them
FR +3
Information+Wishlist+Art Shop!
Aether adopts!
My colorwheel project!

This is a reminder to be patient with new players in the suggestions forum if they post something commonly suggested! The forum search isn't particularly outstanding or obvious.
RcqRLxb.png
[quote name="hat17" date="2022-02-07 15:57:54" ] I re-read the new post, and realized something. Donating to the guild (solo play) rewards you extra resources, but 1) they had to be done in bundles of 8, and 2) donating itself does not reward any experience. Sharing with friends will give you experience. At this stage I do not know how many extra resources we get from solo play, but I feel as long as it doesn't exceed 8 (how many notes you turn in) it's okay? I don't know, I feel we don't need to change them both. Maybe we need more tweaks for the social option (like seeing who helped you as mentioned in another suggestion) so people can return the favour or arrange 'trades' if they want to, but we certainly do not need to nerf the solo play rewards. There had already been many disadvantage for playing solo, we don't really need more. Especially when FR is NOT a social platform in its core. [/quote] This is what I was thinking. That's a lot of notes in comparison to what you likely get. I mean, is there any actual number that we have right now on what we get in return for donating? I don't remember seeing it. If that number doesn't exceed 8, then I don't really see an issue here. The main thing in this thread I can agree with is the suggestion from others to, perhaps, make it so you can choose the plot that the notes you receive go to. Assuming the above is true, however, I don't see a need for it to "balance" out everything else. At the moment, Arlo seems balanced. A social player shouldn't have more benefits than a non-social player. The game has never been that way, and I would rather it not teeter in that direction. The benefit of being social is also getting that EXP for yourself that sending to friends gives.
hat17 wrote on 2022-02-07 15:57:54:

This is what I was thinking. That's a lot of notes in comparison to what you likely get. I mean, is there any actual number that we have right now on what we get in return for donating? I don't remember seeing it. If that number doesn't exceed 8, then I don't really see an issue here.

The main thing in this thread I can agree with is the suggestion from others to, perhaps, make it so you can choose the plot that the notes you receive go to. Assuming the above is true, however, I don't see a need for it to "balance" out everything else. At the moment, Arlo seems balanced.

A social player shouldn't have more benefits than a non-social player. The game has never been that way, and I would rather it not teeter in that direction. The benefit of being social is also getting that EXP for yourself that sending to friends gives.
No.

I don't have a lot of friends on here, this puts me at a huge disadvantage to people with huge friendlists and friend groups located on FR, and that just feels... so unfair. I shouldn't have to be super social to be able to complete this mini-game without being several days behind other people when I play for the same amount of time- maybe more.
I shouldn't have to be friends with randos I don't know to be able to engage with a site feature.
No.

I don't have a lot of friends on here, this puts me at a huge disadvantage to people with huge friendlists and friend groups located on FR, and that just feels... so unfair. I shouldn't have to be super social to be able to complete this mini-game without being several days behind other people when I play for the same amount of time- maybe more.
I shouldn't have to be friends with randos I don't know to be able to engage with a site feature.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
1 2 3 4 5