Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Skin Gore Filter?
1 2 3 4 5
@ShiroiYukai

First off, thank you.

I'd like to answer some of your suggestions, at least from my viewpoint. My original idea was that there was only one tag, for blood. It would be up to the staff and players to decide otherwise. The staff/skin selection team should decide on tags. I know this could make some players angry at first but it would be better than a thousand random tags, some perhaps even with misspelling.

Secondly, I am unsure on how much of the dragon a filter would hide. I believe the most feasible way would be to hide the skin layer on tagged skins and show a shut-eye symbol or an x on skin items. I am unsure about avatar dragons. I am also unsure about vistas, but remember, there has never been vista controversy- only with skins. Genes are fine in my view. They have always been.

I personally think that FR should only be moderate and deliberate in what it lets players filter/block. It should consult players with the phobias and make them comfortable, first and foremost. A side consequence would be the reduction of controversy over skins and increased (while PG-13) creative freedom. I don't have an answer to every question you proposed but I can say that a small difference is better than none.

P.S. You didn't come off as attack-ish! :) I'm more worried about myself.
@ShiroiYukai

First off, thank you.

I'd like to answer some of your suggestions, at least from my viewpoint. My original idea was that there was only one tag, for blood. It would be up to the staff and players to decide otherwise. The staff/skin selection team should decide on tags. I know this could make some players angry at first but it would be better than a thousand random tags, some perhaps even with misspelling.

Secondly, I am unsure on how much of the dragon a filter would hide. I believe the most feasible way would be to hide the skin layer on tagged skins and show a shut-eye symbol or an x on skin items. I am unsure about avatar dragons. I am also unsure about vistas, but remember, there has never been vista controversy- only with skins. Genes are fine in my view. They have always been.

I personally think that FR should only be moderate and deliberate in what it lets players filter/block. It should consult players with the phobias and make them comfortable, first and foremost. A side consequence would be the reduction of controversy over skins and increased (while PG-13) creative freedom. I don't have an answer to every question you proposed but I can say that a small difference is better than none.

P.S. You didn't come off as attack-ish! :) I'm more worried about myself.
Wannabe pilot
She/her
Uniquely terrible at making good signatures
[quote name="emeraldarcanine" date="2021-03-19 23:10:13" ] [quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2021-03-18 21:58:13" ] how does. how does having a filter to block out spiders make you see MORE spiders.? im? the idea of this system would be to allow you to block spiders??? i dont really see a benefit to treating some common phobia tags differently than others [/quote] It's more like this site already doesn't have a filter for spiders so I don't expect them to add one any time soon. Spider familiars and whatnot are already a thing on the site to my dismay. I never said that having a filter for spiders makes me see more spiders??? Where did you read that. I said that I have to deal with unfiltered spider arts AS IS on this site and I don't expect that to change, as much as I hate it. And if I ask for such it literally will not go anywhere [s](Because nobody takes arachnophobia seriously)[/s]. And we're talking about skins, I don't want to have to see dragons with spiders all over them or whatever. [/quote] well you see when you say "No spiders like mentioned above, I got arachnophobia and already have to deal with spiders being thrown at me in this game without a filter as is. x.x" about a potential spider filter, it kind of seems like you're asking for no spider filter (as suggested above) because you see too many spiders already without a filter being implemented. implying that you do not want a spider filter to be added because it would worsen the situation. So no, it's not that none of us takes arachnophobia seriously, and I think you'll find that it's a common subject in suggestions for wider site image filtering. (staff just let us block images by ID numbers pls) [rule] On the subject of how this should work for skins already on dragons, it depends on where in the backend process dragon images are compiled from this: https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=1152314&skin=15562&apparel=27204&xt=dressing.png to this: https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/652316/65231537_350.png One of these, it's easy enough to locate where the offending skin/apparel is and remove that one element. The last, though, is already a whole image, and at that point it'd probably be easier to simply hide the whole dragon and have some kind of "click to view" box or something. For avatar dragons FR already has a "no avatar" image in place, and for pvp... honestly we don't know enough about how pvp will work to say, but tbh I wouldn't be opposed to a pvp toggle that replaces all opponent dragons with some kind of placeholder altogether just to solve all kinds of problems before they happen.
emeraldarcanine wrote on 2021-03-19 23:10:13:
BlueJaysFeather wrote on 2021-03-18 21:58:13:
how does. how does having a filter to block out spiders make you see MORE spiders.? im? the idea of this system would be to allow you to block spiders??? i dont really see a benefit to treating some common phobia tags differently than others
It's more like this site already doesn't have a filter for spiders so I don't expect them to add one any time soon. Spider familiars and whatnot are already a thing on the site to my dismay.
I never said that having a filter for spiders makes me see more spiders??? Where did you read that. I said that I have to deal with unfiltered spider arts AS IS on this site and I don't expect that to change, as much as I hate it. And if I ask for such it literally will not go anywhere (Because nobody takes arachnophobia seriously). And we're talking about skins, I don't want to have to see dragons with spiders all over them or whatever.
well you see when you say "No spiders like mentioned above, I got arachnophobia and already have to deal with spiders being thrown at me in this game without a filter as is. x.x" about a potential spider filter, it kind of seems like you're asking for no spider filter (as suggested above) because you see too many spiders already without a filter being implemented. implying that you do not want a spider filter to be added because it would worsen the situation. So no, it's not that none of us takes arachnophobia seriously, and I think you'll find that it's a common subject in suggestions for wider site image filtering.
(staff just let us block images by ID numbers pls)

On the subject of how this should work for skins already on dragons, it depends on where in the backend process dragon images are compiled from this:
https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=1152314&skin=15562&apparel=27204&xt=dressing.png
to this:
https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/652316/65231537_350.png

One of these, it's easy enough to locate where the offending skin/apparel is and remove that one element. The last, though, is already a whole image, and at that point it'd probably be easier to simply hide the whole dragon and have some kind of "click to view" box or something. For avatar dragons FR already has a "no avatar" image in place, and for pvp... honestly we don't know enough about how pvp will work to say, but tbh I wouldn't be opposed to a pvp toggle that replaces all opponent dragons with some kind of placeholder altogether just to solve all kinds of problems before they happen.
wq9PoXA.png
[quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2021-03-20 09:32:58" ] On the subject of how this should work for skins already on dragons, it depends on where in the backend process dragon images are compiled from this: https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=1152314&skin=15562&apparel=27204&xt=dressing.png to this: https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/652316/65231537_350.png One of these, it's easy enough to locate where the offending skin/apparel is and remove that one element. The last, though, is already a whole image, and at that point it'd probably be easier to simply hide the whole dragon and have some kind of "click to view" box or something. For avatar dragons FR already has a "no avatar" image in place, and for pvp... honestly we don't know enough about how pvp will work to say, but tbh I wouldn't be opposed to a pvp toggle that replaces all opponent dragons with some kind of placeholder altogether just to solve all kinds of problems before they happen. [/quote] This is the only concern I have with suggestions like these. I'm not sure how it works on Furvilla or whatever, but a lot of petsites I see don't have the customizability that FR does. If dragons could just wear one skin and that's it, then good. It would be super easy to block things. But since dragons can wear 21 things, and those are pressed into a single image together, I imagine it's a little more complicated. I don't care about how much work it is, but I do care about lag. And if the extra customization options would make something like this cause lag for everybody? Then I don't think it's worth it. However, there should probably still be some kind of tag system just for items and stuff. I don't see how that would cause too big of a problem.
BlueJaysFeather wrote on 2021-03-20 09:32:58:
On the subject of how this should work for skins already on dragons, it depends on where in the backend process dragon images are compiled from this:
https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=1152314&skin=15562&apparel=27204&xt=dressing.png
to this:

One of these, it's easy enough to locate where the offending skin/apparel is and remove that one element. The last, though, is already a whole image, and at that point it'd probably be easier to simply hide the whole dragon and have some kind of "click to view" box or something. For avatar dragons FR already has a "no avatar" image in place, and for pvp... honestly we don't know enough about how pvp will work to say, but tbh I wouldn't be opposed to a pvp toggle that replaces all opponent dragons with some kind of placeholder altogether just to solve all kinds of problems before they happen.
This is the only concern I have with suggestions like these. I'm not sure how it works on Furvilla or whatever, but a lot of petsites I see don't have the customizability that FR does. If dragons could just wear one skin and that's it, then good. It would be super easy to block things. But since dragons can wear 21 things, and those are pressed into a single image together, I imagine it's a little more complicated. I don't care about how much work it is, but I do care about lag. And if the extra customization options would make something like this cause lag for everybody? Then I don't think it's worth it.

However, there should probably still be some kind of tag system just for items and stuff. I don't see how that would cause too big of a problem.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2021-03-20 09:32:58" ] [quote name="emeraldarcanine" date="2021-03-19 23:10:13" ] [quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2021-03-18 21:58:13" ] how does. how does having a filter to block out spiders make you see MORE spiders.? im? the idea of this system would be to allow you to block spiders??? i dont really see a benefit to treating some common phobia tags differently than others [/quote] It's more like this site already doesn't have a filter for spiders so I don't expect them to add one any time soon. Spider familiars and whatnot are already a thing on the site to my dismay. I never said that having a filter for spiders makes me see more spiders??? Where did you read that. I said that I have to deal with unfiltered spider arts AS IS on this site and I don't expect that to change, as much as I hate it. And if I ask for such it literally will not go anywhere [s](Because nobody takes arachnophobia seriously)[/s]. And we're talking about skins, I don't want to have to see dragons with spiders all over them or whatever. [/quote] well you see when you say "No spiders like mentioned above, I got arachnophobia and already have to deal with spiders being thrown at me in this game without a filter as is. x.x" about a potential spider filter, it kind of seems like you're asking for no spider filter (as suggested above) because you see too many spiders already without a filter being implemented. implying that you do not want a spider filter to be added because it would worsen the situation. So no, it's not that none of us takes arachnophobia seriously, and I think you'll find that it's a common subject in suggestions for wider site image filtering. (staff just let us block images by ID numbers pls) [rule] On the subject of how this should work for skins already on dragons, it depends on where in the backend process dragon images are compiled from this: https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=1152314&skin=15562&apparel=27204&xt=dressing.png to this: https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/652316/65231537_350.png One of these, it's easy enough to locate where the offending skin/apparel is and remove that one element. The last, though, is already a whole image, and at that point it'd probably be easier to simply hide the whole dragon and have some kind of "click to view" box or something. For avatar dragons FR already has a "no avatar" image in place, and for pvp... honestly we don't know enough about how pvp will work to say, but tbh I wouldn't be opposed to a pvp toggle that replaces all opponent dragons with some kind of placeholder altogether just to solve all kinds of problems before they happen. [/quote] considering I have arachnophobia and already have all the spider items I can find blocked (and boy does that confuse me when I forget why I have this large block in my familiar selection place :P At least with the new interface I can actually select that familiar, instead of having to unblock the familiar so I can attach it to a dragon to bond with it), no, I am not discounting things like phobias, and that is why I want things like this. I not only feel that this would enable a relaxing of the various rules for skin to allow more content, but also that this could be extended to other areas of the site and be helpful for not only just phobias, and people who dislike certain things, but to help search out things that people do like and a wide variety of other uses as well. And yeah, a lot of the ease of extending this to other areas such as apparel or genes, or eyes, would be when the dragon image is flattened from the 'piece building' that the scrying workshop and dressing room use to the single PNG image that we see most other places on site. If it is page by page like I think it might be, then it would probably be relatively simple to go in and just have a simple 'if X=Y then X=Z' to change genes/eyes to basic and hide apparel/skins. If it is done elsewhere then it will be harder, and simply easier to hide the entire dragon image.
how does. how does having a filter to block out spiders make you see MORE spiders.? im? the idea of this system would be to allow you to block spiders??? i dont really see a benefit to treating some common phobia tags differently than others
It's more like this site already doesn't have a filter for spiders so I don't expect them to add one any time soon. Spider familiars and whatnot are already a thing on the site to my dismay.
I never said that having a filter for spiders makes me see more spiders??? Where did you read that. I said that I have to deal with unfiltered spider arts AS IS on this site and I don't expect that to change, as much as I hate it. And if I ask for such it literally will not go anywhere (Because nobody takes arachnophobia seriously). And we're talking about skins, I don't want to have to see dragons with spiders all over them or whatever.
well you see when you say "No spiders like mentioned above, I got arachnophobia and already have to deal with spiders being thrown at me in this game without a filter as is. x.x" about a potential spider filter, it kind of seems like you're asking for no spider filter (as suggested above) because you see too many spiders already without a filter being implemented. implying that you do not want a spider filter to be added because it would worsen the situation. So no, it's not that none of us takes arachnophobia seriously, and I think you'll find that it's a common subject in suggestions for wider site image filtering.

to this:

considering I have arachnophobia and already have all the spider items I can find blocked (and boy does that confuse me when I forget why I have this large block in my familiar selection place :P At least with the new interface I can actually select that familiar, instead of having to unblock the familiar so I can attach it to a dragon to bond with it), no, I am not discounting things like phobias, and that is why I want things like this.

I not only feel that this would enable a relaxing of the various rules for skin to allow more content, but also that this could be extended to other areas of the site and be helpful for not only just phobias, and people who dislike certain things, but to help search out things that people do like and a wide variety of other uses as well.

And yeah, a lot of the ease of extending this to other areas such as apparel or genes, or eyes, would be when the dragon image is flattened from the 'piece building' that the scrying workshop and dressing room use to the single PNG image that we see most other places on site. If it is page by page like I think it might be, then it would probably be relatively simple to go in and just have a simple 'if X=Y then X=Z' to change genes/eyes to basic and hide apparel/skins.

If it is done elsewhere then it will be harder, and simply easier to hide the entire dragon image.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I think a tagging system is a good idea. Something similar to what FurVilla does with their skins.

This will give people who like gore and plague aesthetics more room to experiment. It will also be great for people who don't want to see those things (or other stuff, like bugs for example). And it will be useful for trying to find certain skins (say if I wanted to buy a purple skin with flowers, I could search by the tags "purple" and "floral" to be able to find skins to buy instead of trying to figure out what artists might make such a thing, or what fancy Latin name they decided to give it).
I think a tagging system is a good idea. Something similar to what FurVilla does with their skins.

This will give people who like gore and plague aesthetics more room to experiment. It will also be great for people who don't want to see those things (or other stuff, like bugs for example). And it will be useful for trying to find certain skins (say if I wanted to buy a purple skin with flowers, I could search by the tags "purple" and "floral" to be able to find skins to buy instead of trying to figure out what artists might make such a thing, or what fancy Latin name they decided to give it).
jCVhFoZ.gif
[quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2021-03-20 09:32:58" ] [quote name="emeraldarcanine" date="2021-03-19 23:10:13" ] [quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2021-03-18 21:58:13" ] how does. how does having a filter to block out spiders make you see MORE spiders.? im? the idea of this system would be to allow you to block spiders??? i dont really see a benefit to treating some common phobia tags differently than others [/quote] It's more like this site already doesn't have a filter for spiders so I don't expect them to add one any time soon. Spider familiars and whatnot are already a thing on the site to my dismay. I never said that having a filter for spiders makes me see more spiders??? Where did you read that. I said that I have to deal with unfiltered spider arts AS IS on this site and I don't expect that to change, as much as I hate it. And if I ask for such it literally will not go anywhere [s](Because nobody takes arachnophobia seriously)[/s]. And we're talking about skins, I don't want to have to see dragons with spiders all over them or whatever. [/quote] well you see when you say "No spiders like mentioned above, I got arachnophobia and already have to deal with spiders being thrown at me in this game without a filter as is. x.x" about a potential spider filter, it kind of seems like you're asking for no spider filter (as suggested above) because you see too many spiders already without a filter being implemented. implying that you do not want a spider filter to be added because it would worsen the situation. So no, it's not that none of us takes arachnophobia seriously, and I think you'll find that it's a common subject in suggestions for wider site image filtering. (staff just let us block images by ID numbers pls) [/quote] Right, it was a terrible wording thing. Sorry! I've never been good at explaining these sorta things. ^^'
Right, it was a terrible wording thing. Sorry! I've never been good at explaining these sorta things. ^^'
I am a proud Nature Flight Sapling!
banner_by_scarlit_of_aurora-d68nxtf.png
I support this. Naeryl said it best: artists can tag it but there should also be a skin team. It'd tidy things up and allow skins to be tagged properly and be given tags the artist may have forgotten
I support this. Naeryl said it best: artists can tag it but there should also be a skin team. It'd tidy things up and allow skins to be tagged properly and be given tags the artist may have forgotten
Anything to let Plague Flight fly ;P

Plenty of sites have a "by clicking Proceed I acknowledge I am, well, usually 18+, and if they're lying, well that's on them, no? Maybe the trick is to make this site compatible with actual parental filters so that even if a minor clicks Proceed it won't show? Idk how parental filters work, I'm not a parental ;P

To be clear I'm not DYING for this site to have a parental filter, it's just that I've seen the issue of minors coming up a lot lately in regards to the Plague aesthetic, and I'm trying to address every avenue that might help Plague be Plague.

I think a gore filter is a great idea for anyone who is sensitive to it. Tbh I don't think it's strictly necessary as a parental filter if the site really is 13+ - if I were 13, I'd feel insulted and stifled if my mom kept me from being able to see this site in full. (When I was 13, the danger was supposedly talking to strangers on the internet, not seeing cartoon gore - and look, this site is FULL of strangers talking to each other, some probably ARE 13)

But I'm not saying this just so we can have uber-nasty-gorefest skins. Even *I* think there's a reasonable limit to how gorey something should be on a site like this. But I DO think the limit we currently have is not reasonable - I once tried to order a beautiful and also pretty cute skin someone made, a zombie/fossilized Snapper mother with babies inside, no blood or guts (maybe bones but I don't quite remember) but the skin got denied from being printed.

I've heard people say that the site's gore limits have to do with advertisers not wanting to advertise on something gorey... in which case maybe they're not allowed to be transparent with us about it? But I really hope they will be if they don't do something about this restriction.
Anything to let Plague Flight fly ;P

Plenty of sites have a "by clicking Proceed I acknowledge I am, well, usually 18+, and if they're lying, well that's on them, no? Maybe the trick is to make this site compatible with actual parental filters so that even if a minor clicks Proceed it won't show? Idk how parental filters work, I'm not a parental ;P

To be clear I'm not DYING for this site to have a parental filter, it's just that I've seen the issue of minors coming up a lot lately in regards to the Plague aesthetic, and I'm trying to address every avenue that might help Plague be Plague.

I think a gore filter is a great idea for anyone who is sensitive to it. Tbh I don't think it's strictly necessary as a parental filter if the site really is 13+ - if I were 13, I'd feel insulted and stifled if my mom kept me from being able to see this site in full. (When I was 13, the danger was supposedly talking to strangers on the internet, not seeing cartoon gore - and look, this site is FULL of strangers talking to each other, some probably ARE 13)

But I'm not saying this just so we can have uber-nasty-gorefest skins. Even *I* think there's a reasonable limit to how gorey something should be on a site like this. But I DO think the limit we currently have is not reasonable - I once tried to order a beautiful and also pretty cute skin someone made, a zombie/fossilized Snapper mother with babies inside, no blood or guts (maybe bones but I don't quite remember) but the skin got denied from being printed.

I've heard people say that the site's gore limits have to do with advertisers not wanting to advertise on something gorey... in which case maybe they're not allowed to be transparent with us about it? But I really hope they will be if they don't do something about this restriction.
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2021-03-18 09:37:49" ] I support tagging and filtering skins. It could go beyond gore. Maybe certain phobias like spiders. Maybe religion too--then People of Faith could have some representation and those who don't want to see it, won't. [/quote] @gemajgall I don't disagree with you, and I think a skin theme tagging system would be good, but technically religious symbols are already against [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/wiki/skins/1]skin and accent rules[/url]. That means every accepted skin/cent has been judged "not too overtly religious". Admittedly it specifically says "no religious [i]symbols[/i]", and you could argue that the angel and demon themes and such are religious although not symbols, but deciding to tag them as religious content would create a dilemma of just how much religion is allowed, I think.
gemajgall wrote on 2021-03-18 09:37:49:
I support tagging and filtering skins. It could go beyond gore. Maybe certain phobias like spiders. Maybe religion too--then People of Faith could have some representation and those who don't want to see it, won't.

@gemajgall I don't disagree with you, and I think a skin theme tagging system would be good, but technically religious symbols are already against skin and accent rules. That means every accepted skin/cent has been judged "not too overtly religious". Admittedly it specifically says "no religious symbols", and you could argue that the angel and demon themes and such are religious although not symbols, but deciding to tag them as religious content would create a dilemma of just how much religion is allowed, I think.
3e94Gpa.png MXmMK3p.png
Ping me to get
my attention in the forums, please!
MXmMK3p.png 4oO1RBo.png
tags sounds usefull.
And as for filtre it is already veeeeery unclear criteria!
"Hey we erase those skins with small fresh scratch!' An at the same time we have skins with body sliced from one end to another with bones and rotten flesh inside!
And that's even not somethind "treackily pushed in game UM" it is fest plague skins.
I do not understand it.
tags sounds usefull.
And as for filtre it is already veeeeery unclear criteria!
"Hey we erase those skins with small fresh scratch!' An at the same time we have skins with body sliced from one end to another with bones and rotten flesh inside!
And that's even not somethind "treackily pushed in game UM" it is fest plague skins.
I do not understand it.

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
1 2 3 4 5