Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Skin Gore Filter?
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="Trix" date="2021-03-18 10:37:56" ] (Also, I think color names would kind of be superfluous, since you can already search by specific color. Tho I guess you could throw in, like, ten basic color names to encompass the spectrum) [/quote] I tossed the hypothetical in for basic color names because we can't search for a range. If they ever add a color range search for skins/accents, then such tags don't need to be added.
Trix wrote on 2021-03-18 10:37:56:
(Also, I think color names would kind of be superfluous, since you can already search by specific color. Tho I guess you could throw in, like, ten basic color names to encompass the spectrum)
I tossed the hypothetical in for basic color names because we can't search for a range. If they ever add a color range search for skins/accents, then such tags don't need to be added.
fo11Vhp.png
TBH I feel a purely dev-decided tag system would end up lacking and not being able to cover enough specificity in skins. But users may not be entirely accountable for standards of gore, if a filter allowed such a thing.

I think it would be best to allow 3-5 user-defined tags that can be anything like, “flowers” or “vaporwave” or whatever the trendy thing is at the time. There could be a drop down that suggests common tags (like on imgur). So if you’re like, writing in “ar,” the dropdown gives autofill suggestions like “archer [209 skins]” and “archie [45 skins].” That would help keep some consistency while allowing tags to keep with user trends. The only reason I am not fond of tags being entirely dev-controlled is because I don’t think they would be updated frequently enough.

When it comes to sensitive content like blood and gore, that would be applied by the devs when they review the submission.
TBH I feel a purely dev-decided tag system would end up lacking and not being able to cover enough specificity in skins. But users may not be entirely accountable for standards of gore, if a filter allowed such a thing.

I think it would be best to allow 3-5 user-defined tags that can be anything like, “flowers” or “vaporwave” or whatever the trendy thing is at the time. There could be a drop down that suggests common tags (like on imgur). So if you’re like, writing in “ar,” the dropdown gives autofill suggestions like “archer [209 skins]” and “archie [45 skins].” That would help keep some consistency while allowing tags to keep with user trends. The only reason I am not fond of tags being entirely dev-controlled is because I don’t think they would be updated frequently enough.

When it comes to sensitive content like blood and gore, that would be applied by the devs when they review the submission.
While tags could be helpful for searching, I still kinda think that specifically for filtering images the best and most universally helpful way would be to allow people to block items/skins/genes/eyetypes/whatever by site ID number. Perhaps a combination, so that players who want to block entire categories could do so while those who didn't want to rely on tags for something more specific could block things they know trigger their phobias?
While tags could be helpful for searching, I still kinda think that specifically for filtering images the best and most universally helpful way would be to allow people to block items/skins/genes/eyetypes/whatever by site ID number. Perhaps a combination, so that players who want to block entire categories could do so while those who didn't want to rely on tags for something more specific could block things they know trigger their phobias?
wq9PoXA.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-03-18 08:34:11" ] I support a tagging system, but not one left purely up to the skin artists (mainly because of places like Ao3 :P because it is nearly impossible to 'exclude' tags I don't want to see because of how many ways people phrase things and not everyone tags etc..) instead, all tags need to be created by the staff, so we don't have to search for 'flowers', 'tulips' 'roses' 'daffodils' and any misspellings and/or variations there can be on flowers and types of flowers and spring like themes that might have flowers in them. Players may 'suggest' tags from the tags selection, but staff have ulimate say over what tags are added to the skin. The only issue is that this would be a LOT of work on the staff to go through and tag every skin (but I consider it worth it) and there would be a lot of people who wouldn't want their skins tagged with certain tags for whatever reasons, or they would want custom tags just for their own skins or feel that the current tags just aren't 'good enough'. One way to help with the backlog issue is to create a thread where the staff give a list of tags and allow people to suggest tags for various skins. Again staff would have final say over the tag selection, but this could help reduce the number of skins staff have to go through and decide what tags are appropriate for that skin. Another way to help is to allow players to 'suggest' tags for skins (especially at first). Again, staff would be able to say whether or not that tag has enough skins that it is worth it to add and tag them. As for the issues with players wanting special tags or not liking the tags that are applied, I am not sure that anything can be done to help with that. But no support for a tagging system where each player tags their own skins. I love reading online fiction and I love it when an author 'warns' me about stuff to avoid or stuff I want to seek out, but places like Ao3 make that nearly impossible, due to allow users to create their own tags, so in order to remove one thing from my search results I have to exclude 30 different tags. (or if I want something I have to figure out how someone might have tagged that story) I also know, again using Ao3 and stories as an example, that some people don't want to give any warnings for the stories, and I am sure that there are artists that wouldn't want any sort of tags on their skins. As for the 'catch all' scenario, sadly there isn't anything to be done about that, except basically 'user beware'. IE, if a user blocks 'extra limbs' they have to realize that sometimes things they might like gets blocked. Just as with a 'gore' tag. I can handle 'minor' gore, but major I can't. But, what constitute major or minor gore? For me, I can handle cuts and scrapes, and even bleeding wounds. But I dislike bone or organs or things like that (I hated biology...) or even 'skinless' types of skins. But others might have different definitions of those two aspects, so either the 'gore' filter would have to be varied (ie 'cuts' 'wounds' 'skinless' 'internal organs' and so on) or people would have to decide whether or not they want to block ALL gore. [/quote] All this! And I would say tagging for genes would be nice in case people have -Hoi as but idk if that would work.
Jemadar wrote on 2021-03-18 08:34:11:
I support a tagging system, but not one left purely up to the skin artists (mainly because of places like Ao3 :P because it is nearly impossible to 'exclude' tags I don't want to see because of how many ways people phrase things and not everyone tags etc..)

instead, all tags need to be created by the staff, so we don't have to search for 'flowers', 'tulips' 'roses' 'daffodils' and any misspellings and/or variations there can be on flowers and types of flowers and spring like themes that might have flowers in them.

Players may 'suggest' tags from the tags selection, but staff have ulimate say over what tags are added to the skin.

The only issue is that this would be a LOT of work on the staff to go through and tag every skin (but I consider it worth it) and there would be a lot of people who wouldn't want their skins tagged with certain tags for whatever reasons, or they would want custom tags just for their own skins or feel that the current tags just aren't 'good enough'.

One way to help with the backlog issue is to create a thread where the staff give a list of tags and allow people to suggest tags for various skins. Again staff would have final say over the tag selection, but this could help reduce the number of skins staff have to go through and decide what tags are appropriate for that skin.

Another way to help is to allow players to 'suggest' tags for skins (especially at first). Again, staff would be able to say whether or not that tag has enough skins that it is worth it to add and tag them.

As for the issues with players wanting special tags or not liking the tags that are applied, I am not sure that anything can be done to help with that.

But no support for a tagging system where each player tags their own skins. I love reading online fiction and I love it when an author 'warns' me about stuff to avoid or stuff I want to seek out, but places like Ao3 make that nearly impossible, due to allow users to create their own tags, so in order to remove one thing from my search results I have to exclude 30 different tags. (or if I want something I have to figure out how someone might have tagged that story)

I also know, again using Ao3 and stories as an example, that some people don't want to give any warnings for the stories, and I am sure that there are artists that wouldn't want any sort of tags on their skins.

As for the 'catch all' scenario, sadly there isn't anything to be done about that, except basically 'user beware'. IE, if a user blocks 'extra limbs' they have to realize that sometimes things they might like gets blocked.

Just as with a 'gore' tag. I can handle 'minor' gore, but major I can't. But, what constitute major or minor gore? For me, I can handle cuts and scrapes, and even bleeding wounds. But I dislike bone or organs or things like that (I hated biology...) or even 'skinless' types of skins. But others might have different definitions of those two aspects, so either the 'gore' filter would have to be varied (ie 'cuts' 'wounds' 'skinless' 'internal organs' and so on) or people would have to decide whether or not they want to block ALL gore.
All this! And I would say tagging for genes would be nice in case people have -Hoi as but idk if that would work.
I love you staff and thank you so much for the eye update 2.0! I cannot thank you enough for this!
[quote name="Crowbar" date="2021-03-18 11:08:40" ] TBH I feel a purely dev-decided tag system would end up lacking and not being able to cover enough specificity in skins. But users may not be entirely accountable for standards of gore, if a filter allowed such a thing. [/quote] I mean, right now we have NOTHING to aid finding, aside from predominant color. Again, I think the UMA pinglist does a pretty good job covering most of the bases. The goal wouldn't necessary be specificity, just being able to at least narrow things down to a broad category. You'd be surprised how well you can sort things with just three or four tags in a controlled vocabulary. The "gore" tag could be applied at staff discretion, rather than user discretion, perhaps.
Crowbar wrote on 2021-03-18 11:08:40:

I mean, right now we have NOTHING to aid finding, aside from predominant color.

Again, I think the UMA pinglist does a pretty good job covering most of the bases. The goal wouldn't necessary be specificity, just being able to at least narrow things down to a broad category. You'd be surprised how well you can sort things with just three or four tags in a controlled vocabulary.

The "gore" tag could be applied at staff discretion, rather than user discretion, perhaps.

(Please don't ping me in the Suggestions Forum).
[quote name="Trix" date="2021-03-18 13:32:35" ] [quote name="Crowbar" date="2021-03-18 11:08:40" ] TBH I feel a purely dev-decided tag system would end up lacking and not being able to cover enough specificity in skins. But users may not be entirely accountable for standards of gore, if a filter allowed such a thing. [/quote] I mean, right now we have NOTHING to aid finding, aside from predominant color. Again, I think the UMA pinglist does a pretty good job covering most of the bases. The goal wouldn't necessary be specificity, just being able to at least narrow things down to a broad category. You'd be surprised how well you can sort things with just three or four tags in a controlled vocabulary. The "gore" tag could be applied at staff discretion, rather than user discretion, perhaps. [/quote] to be honest, that is one thing I dislike about Ao3 tags, they can get too specific. I would say medium scope tags woudl be better than trying to be too specific or too broad. For instance, 'Gore' would be a too broad of category, while something like 'leg injury' would be too specific.
Trix wrote on 2021-03-18 13:32:35:
Crowbar wrote on 2021-03-18 11:08:40:

I mean, right now we have NOTHING to aid finding, aside from predominant color.

Again, I think the UMA pinglist does a pretty good job covering most of the bases. The goal wouldn't necessary be specificity, just being able to at least narrow things down to a broad category. You'd be surprised how well you can sort things with just three or four tags in a controlled vocabulary.

The "gore" tag could be applied at staff discretion, rather than user discretion, perhaps.
to be honest, that is one thing I dislike about Ao3 tags, they can get too specific.

I would say medium scope tags woudl be better than trying to be too specific or too broad.

For instance, 'Gore' would be a too broad of category, while something like 'leg injury' would be too specific.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I would love tags. At this point it's just plain painful to find a fitting skin for a dragon. And I would love a gore tag, cause I like gore and I need more gore skins for my dragons.
And while we're at it, can we please have actual, good guidelines on what is/isn't allowed in skins, especially plague themed? <.< Going through and tagging each skin would be the perfect opportunity for that
I would love tags. At this point it's just plain painful to find a fitting skin for a dragon. And I would love a gore tag, cause I like gore and I need more gore skins for my dragons.
And while we're at it, can we please have actual, good guidelines on what is/isn't allowed in skins, especially plague themed? <.< Going through and tagging each skin would be the perfect opportunity for that
tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pngsmall_save_the_imps2_by_keldeostar-dc6ioyu.pngtumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pnghttps://68.media.tumblr.com/d520b49ad1e535b4432d0a80efc5db86/tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.png[/img]
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2021-03-18 09:37:49" ] I support tagging and filtering skins. It could go beyond gore. Maybe certain phobias like spiders. Maybe religion too--then People of Faith could have some representation and those who don't want to see it, won't. [/quote] ^This. I don't have a problem with gore skins, but I dislike spiders and would rather not see spider-themed skins. Filtering and tagging could be useful for non-phobia reasons too, like being able to search for flower accents, cat or other companion animal accents, etc. I agree with Jemadar though that tags should be made by staff or this will turn into the skin/accent equivalent of A03 where search becomes more or less unusable because some people don't tag things appropriately or they want to use every tag ever to ensure their stuff gets seen.
gemajgall wrote on 2021-03-18 09:37:49:
I support tagging and filtering skins. It could go beyond gore. Maybe certain phobias like spiders. Maybe religion too--then People of Faith could have some representation and those who don't want to see it, won't.

^This. I don't have a problem with gore skins, but I dislike spiders and would rather not see spider-themed skins. Filtering and tagging could be useful for non-phobia reasons too, like being able to search for flower accents, cat or other companion animal accents, etc.

I agree with Jemadar though that tags should be made by staff or this will turn into the skin/accent equivalent of A03 where search becomes more or less unusable because some people don't tag things appropriately or they want to use every tag ever to ensure their stuff gets seen.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
[quote name="JonSnOwO" date="2021-03-18 18:29:18" ] [quote name="gemajgall" date="2021-03-18 09:37:49" ] I support tagging and filtering skins. It could go beyond gore. Maybe certain phobias like spiders. Maybe religion too--then People of Faith could have some representation and those who don't want to see it, won't. [/quote] ^This. I don't have a problem with gore skins, but I dislike spiders and would rather not see spider-themed skins. Filtering and tagging could be useful for non-phobia reasons too, like being able to search for flower accents, cat or other companion animal accents, etc. I agree with Jemadar though that tags should be made by staff or this will turn into the skin/accent equivalent of A03 where search becomes more or less unusable because some people don't tag things appropriately or they want to use every tag ever to ensure their stuff gets seen. [/quote] what if artists had to submit, like, up to five (arbitrary number) tags when submitting a skin? then the tags could be checked and perhaps standardized at the same time as the skin was being implemented, and it'd prevent people from using Every Tag (iirc you can filter fics on AO3 that have more than x number of tags which is quite helpful but that's not the point) It'd kinda require some extra effort from staff but tbh I don't know the exact process for skin/accent approval behind the scenes so I don't know how much extra time it'd require
JonSnOwO wrote on 2021-03-18 18:29:18:
gemajgall wrote on 2021-03-18 09:37:49:
I support tagging and filtering skins. It could go beyond gore. Maybe certain phobias like spiders. Maybe religion too--then People of Faith could have some representation and those who don't want to see it, won't.

^This. I don't have a problem with gore skins, but I dislike spiders and would rather not see spider-themed skins. Filtering and tagging could be useful for non-phobia reasons too, like being able to search for flower accents, cat or other companion animal accents, etc.

I agree with Jemadar though that tags should be made by staff or this will turn into the skin/accent equivalent of A03 where search becomes more or less unusable because some people don't tag things appropriately or they want to use every tag ever to ensure their stuff gets seen.
what if artists had to submit, like, up to five (arbitrary number) tags when submitting a skin? then the tags could be checked and perhaps standardized at the same time as the skin was being implemented, and it'd prevent people from using Every Tag (iirc you can filter fics on AO3 that have more than x number of tags which is quite helpful but that's not the point)

It'd kinda require some extra effort from staff but tbh I don't know the exact process for skin/accent approval behind the scenes so I don't know how much extra time it'd require
wq9PoXA.png
I support. if FURVILLA can have a gore filter for their painties (and they do!) then I don't see why FR cannot.
But uh... please leave it to stuff like gore and blood and the usual plague disease stuff. No spiders like mentioned above, I got arachnophobia and already have to deal with spiders being thrown at me in this game without a filter as is. x.x

But other than that, we shouldn't have to vouch for plague getting proper rep for being survivalists despite suffering so much as a flight anyways and yet here we are (theme-wise you guys are supposed to suffer and struggle but like, survive through it all right?). They got quite the shaft and that's annoying to see even as someone who's on the opposite side of things (Ala Nature and all).
The staff are just big pansies harharhoo- plz don't strike me
I support. if FURVILLA can have a gore filter for their painties (and they do!) then I don't see why FR cannot.
But uh... please leave it to stuff like gore and blood and the usual plague disease stuff. No spiders like mentioned above, I got arachnophobia and already have to deal with spiders being thrown at me in this game without a filter as is. x.x

But other than that, we shouldn't have to vouch for plague getting proper rep for being survivalists despite suffering so much as a flight anyways and yet here we are (theme-wise you guys are supposed to suffer and struggle but like, survive through it all right?). They got quite the shaft and that's annoying to see even as someone who's on the opposite side of things (Ala Nature and all).
The staff are just big pansies harharhoo- plz don't strike me
I am a proud Nature Flight Sapling!
banner_by_scarlit_of_aurora-d68nxtf.png
1 2 3 4 5