Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Skin Gore Filter?
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="emeraldarcanine" date="2021-03-18 21:18:11" ] I support. if FURVILLA can have a gore filter for their painties (and they do!) then I don't see why FR cannot. But uh... please leave it to stuff like gore and blood and the usual plague disease stuff. No spiders like mentioned above, I got arachnophobia and already have to deal with spiders being thrown at me in this game without a filter as is. x.x But other than that, we shouldn't have to vouch for plague getting proper rep for being survivalists despite suffering so much as a flight anyways and yet here we are (theme-wise you guys are supposed to suffer and struggle but like, survive through it all right?). They got quite the shaft and that's annoying to see even as someone who's on the opposite side of things (Ala Nature and all). The staff are just big pansies harharhoo- plz don't strike me [/quote] how does. how does having a filter to block out spiders make you see MORE spiders.? im? the idea of this system would be to allow you to block spiders??? i dont really see a benefit to treating some common phobia tags differently than others
emeraldarcanine wrote on 2021-03-18 21:18:11:
I support. if FURVILLA can have a gore filter for their painties (and they do!) then I don't see why FR cannot.
But uh... please leave it to stuff like gore and blood and the usual plague disease stuff. No spiders like mentioned above, I got arachnophobia and already have to deal with spiders being thrown at me in this game without a filter as is. x.x

But other than that, we shouldn't have to vouch for plague getting proper rep for being survivalists despite suffering so much as a flight anyways and yet here we are (theme-wise you guys are supposed to suffer and struggle but like, survive through it all right?). They got quite the shaft and that's annoying to see even as someone who's on the opposite side of things (Ala Nature and all).
The staff are just big pansies harharhoo- plz don't strike me
how does. how does having a filter to block out spiders make you see MORE spiders.? im? the idea of this system would be to allow you to block spiders??? i dont really see a benefit to treating some common phobia tags differently than others
wq9PoXA.png
Going again with LoC subject headings, I could see having "gore" as a broad category" but also perhaps some more precise ones (I don't really know gore well enough to know what the middle ground between "gore" and "leg injury" would be)

Like, you could have "animals" as a broad one, and then a handful of the more common animals (eg, cat, dog, fox, spiders), but you still have the broader category if your design doesn't happen to fit into that.

And alternative/additional thing that would probably be useful for searching, but not so useful for filtering would be if users could write a short description of their own skins/accents. Just something short enough to fit in a tooltip. I mean, you can search description, but that basically means you can pick a festival something came from and not much else right now.

(But yeah, for the actual tagging, letting users go ham would be...not great. Shoot, there's some jerk right now doing his best to break AO3 via tags)
Going again with LoC subject headings, I could see having "gore" as a broad category" but also perhaps some more precise ones (I don't really know gore well enough to know what the middle ground between "gore" and "leg injury" would be)

Like, you could have "animals" as a broad one, and then a handful of the more common animals (eg, cat, dog, fox, spiders), but you still have the broader category if your design doesn't happen to fit into that.

And alternative/additional thing that would probably be useful for searching, but not so useful for filtering would be if users could write a short description of their own skins/accents. Just something short enough to fit in a tooltip. I mean, you can search description, but that basically means you can pick a festival something came from and not much else right now.

(But yeah, for the actual tagging, letting users go ham would be...not great. Shoot, there's some jerk right now doing his best to break AO3 via tags)
(Please don't ping me in the Suggestions Forum).
[quote name="Trix" date="2021-03-19 09:21:15" ] Going again with LoC subject headings, I could see having "gore" as a broad category" but also perhaps some more precise ones (I don't really know gore well enough to know what the middle ground between "gore" and "leg injury" would be) Like, you could have "animals" as a broad one, and then a handful of the more common animals (eg, cat, dog, fox, spiders), but you still have the broader category if your design doesn't happen to fit into that. And alternative/additional thing that would probably be useful for searching, but not so useful for filtering would be if users could write a short description of their own skins/accents. Just something short enough to fit in a tooltip. I mean, you can search description, but that basically means you can pick a festival something came from and not much else right now. (But yeah, for the actual tagging, letting users go ham would be...not great. Shoot, there's some jerk right now doing his best to break AO3 via tags) [/quote] I had trouble coming up with a specific category :P and yeah, middle ground between 'gore' and 'leg injury' was getting me. However, I think that there could be a difference between 'category' and 'tag'. Something like this: Categories: Plants Animals Gore and so on. Tags, on the other hand, would be slightly more specific. Such as Flowers, trees, grass for plants. Animals could be things like cats, dogs, spiders and anything like that. Same thing with other categories. However, users would only be able to select *tags* for their skins unless the tags simply don't cover it, but it would still fall under a broad category (which could be something added to submitting a skin). However, if someone selects Cats for their skin, then the category animal would also be added as a sort of 'hidden' tag (it could still be visible, but it wouldn't count against the limit for the user tags). What I could see this being useful for is allowing a bit more specificity in the tagging system so someone who dislikes seeing snakes for instance doesn't have to get rid of anything else that might fall under the same broader category that snakes do. But, for someone who really dislikes ALL, say, reptiles, can check the reptile category and not see everything that falls under that category. This would mainly be useful for Gore, as it is an extremely broad category, but I could see it being useful for others. So, users using the filtering system could filter out both categories and specific tags, either/or style. And, as I said above, on the artist side, it would allow a bit more flexibility in giving more specific tags, while still being able to have larger tags for those who don't want to have to filter out 200 different tags. This would also sort of 'herd' artists into adding more specific tags to their works, while not having to worry about 'forgetting' a broad category. As for allowing users to write descriptions, I think it would be the same thing as Ao3's summaries. Some people would do really useful descriptions while others would do 'joke' descriptions and just things that generally aren't really useful at all for searching. I am not opposed to it, I just don't see it as an alternative to tagging. (and if any of the above is confusing, sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night and am still not really sure I am awake yet)
Trix wrote on 2021-03-19 09:21:15:

I had trouble coming up with a specific category :P and yeah, middle ground between 'gore' and 'leg injury' was getting me.

However, I think that there could be a difference between 'category' and 'tag'.

Something like this:

Categories:

Plants

Animals

Gore

and so on.

Tags, on the other hand, would be slightly more specific.

Such as Flowers, trees, grass for plants.

Animals could be things like cats, dogs, spiders and anything like that.

Same thing with other categories.

However, users would only be able to select *tags* for their skins unless the tags simply don't cover it, but it would still fall under a broad category (which could be something added to submitting a skin). However, if someone selects Cats for their skin, then the category animal would also be added as a sort of 'hidden' tag (it could still be visible, but it wouldn't count against the limit for the user tags).

What I could see this being useful for is allowing a bit more specificity in the tagging system so someone who dislikes seeing snakes for instance doesn't have to get rid of anything else that might fall under the same broader category that snakes do. But, for someone who really dislikes ALL, say, reptiles, can check the reptile category and not see everything that falls under that category.

This would mainly be useful for Gore, as it is an extremely broad category, but I could see it being useful for others.

So, users using the filtering system could filter out both categories and specific tags, either/or style.

And, as I said above, on the artist side, it would allow a bit more flexibility in giving more specific tags, while still being able to have larger tags for those who don't want to have to filter out 200 different tags.

This would also sort of 'herd' artists into adding more specific tags to their works, while not having to worry about 'forgetting' a broad category.

As for allowing users to write descriptions, I think it would be the same thing as Ao3's summaries. Some people would do really useful descriptions while others would do 'joke' descriptions and just things that generally aren't really useful at all for searching. I am not opposed to it, I just don't see it as an alternative to tagging.

(and if any of the above is confusing, sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night and am still not really sure I am awake yet)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
No support, this would be very subjective, as there are some with bones that could be considered "gory" but contain no actual blood, there are some that show the insides, which could also be considered "gory" but it's done in a stylized way. Who would decide on what is gory and what isn't? It'd be far too hard to implement this.
No support, this would be very subjective, as there are some with bones that could be considered "gory" but contain no actual blood, there are some that show the insides, which could also be considered "gory" but it's done in a stylized way. Who would decide on what is gory and what isn't? It'd be far too hard to implement this.
Tj9jm0X.png bwFw21K.png uJgX9G9.png 4ogWlJU.png
ELWEhez.png
yUgY90m.png
xp0Pzju.png
bhlBVAO.png
ymF86gg.png
[quote name="Dakkokki" date="2021-03-19 14:53:46" ] No support, this would be very subjective, as there are some with bones that could be considered "gory" but contain no actual blood, there are some that show the insides, which could also be considered "gory" but it's done in a stylized way. [b]Who would decide on what is gory and what isn't?[/b] It'd be far too hard to implement this. [/quote] The staff
Dakkokki wrote on 2021-03-19 14:53:46:
The staff

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@Dakkokki

Clean bones are not even within what gore is about
Gore is all about blood, puss and organs, no matter how it is depicted (Candygore foe example which makes it all neon colored and tasty looking) so clean bones would be thier own thing.

Support from my side!
The tagging system also helps many other aspects besides gore & plague, as mentioned before, multiple limps or phobias can be covered to be blocked OR to be found!
Finding all the bone/skeleton related skins would be a blessing u_u

Not to mention it truely offers a chance for skin theme contests for elemental festivals! Like, staffs gives a tag prompt like "fish" and you can design skins featuring/fitting the tag "fish"

So one or two skins specificly made for this tag can be choosen for the fest
Might be a good idea to inspire some people to step away from classic things like snow, forest & ice for Ice fest, why not an fish theme skin for ice fest?
Give that dragon some cool crystal fins!

The chances this system offers really expand far and benefit skin makers & buyers
@Dakkokki

Clean bones are not even within what gore is about
Gore is all about blood, puss and organs, no matter how it is depicted (Candygore foe example which makes it all neon colored and tasty looking) so clean bones would be thier own thing.

Support from my side!
The tagging system also helps many other aspects besides gore & plague, as mentioned before, multiple limps or phobias can be covered to be blocked OR to be found!
Finding all the bone/skeleton related skins would be a blessing u_u

Not to mention it truely offers a chance for skin theme contests for elemental festivals! Like, staffs gives a tag prompt like "fish" and you can design skins featuring/fitting the tag "fish"

So one or two skins specificly made for this tag can be choosen for the fest
Might be a good idea to inspire some people to step away from classic things like snow, forest & ice for Ice fest, why not an fish theme skin for ice fest?
Give that dragon some cool crystal fins!

The chances this system offers really expand far and benefit skin makers & buyers
plagueanim1.gif
FR+9 | cQS6PnX.png | german
FObX7rS.png
- No voice to cry suffering. -
No random friend requests
_______
__
f44Zu0R.gif

[quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2021-03-18 21:58:13" ] how does. how does having a filter to block out spiders make you see MORE spiders.? im? the idea of this system would be to allow you to block spiders??? i dont really see a benefit to treating some common phobia tags differently than others [/quote] It's more like this site already doesn't have a filter for spiders so I don't expect them to add one any time soon. Spider familiars and whatnot are already a thing on the site to my dismay. I never said that having a filter for spiders makes me see more spiders??? Where did you read that. I said that I have to deal with unfiltered spider arts AS IS on this site and I don't expect that to change, as much as I hate it. And if I ask for such it literally will not go anywhere [s](Because nobody takes arachnophobia seriously)[/s]. And we're talking about skins, I don't want to have to see dragons with spiders all over them or whatever.
BlueJaysFeather wrote on 2021-03-18 21:58:13:
how does. how does having a filter to block out spiders make you see MORE spiders.? im? the idea of this system would be to allow you to block spiders??? i dont really see a benefit to treating some common phobia tags differently than others
It's more like this site already doesn't have a filter for spiders so I don't expect them to add one any time soon. Spider familiars and whatnot are already a thing on the site to my dismay.
I never said that having a filter for spiders makes me see more spiders??? Where did you read that. I said that I have to deal with unfiltered spider arts AS IS on this site and I don't expect that to change, as much as I hate it. And if I ask for such it literally will not go anywhere (Because nobody takes arachnophobia seriously). And we're talking about skins, I don't want to have to see dragons with spiders all over them or whatever.
I am a proud Nature Flight Sapling!
banner_by_scarlit_of_aurora-d68nxtf.png
[quote name="emeraldarcanine" date="2021-03-19 23:10:13" ] [quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2021-03-18 21:58:13" ] how does. how does having a filter to block out spiders make you see MORE spiders.? im? the idea of this system would be to allow you to block spiders??? i dont really see a benefit to treating some common phobia tags differently than others [/quote] It's more like this site already doesn't have a filter for spiders so I don't expect them to add one any time soon. Spider familiars and whatnot are already a thing on the site to my dismay. I never said that having a filter for spiders makes me see more spiders??? Where did you read that. I said that I have to deal with unfiltered spider arts AS IS on this site and I don't expect that to change, as much as I hate it. And if I ask for such it literally will not go anywhere [s](Because nobody takes arachnophobia seriously)[/s]. And we're talking about skins, I don't want to have to see dragons with spiders all over them or whatever. [/quote] But if they add a spider filter... You could block the skins with spiders on them? Are you saying you just don't expect them to implement the filter? That's why you would suggest it on the first place, so staff knows to be more conscious of it- FR already doesn't have filters, so it's bizarre to think that spiders are some sort of outlier, when [i]no[/i] phobias or visual triggers are accounted for as of now. Video games are catering to people with arachnophobia (and other phobias!) more and more recently. It sucks that you have to see unfiltered spiders on the site as is, but a blacklist would help with this, especially if extended to familiars and such. So spiders can stay for the people who like them, and be hidden for the people that don't.
emeraldarcanine wrote on 2021-03-19 23:10:13:
BlueJaysFeather wrote on 2021-03-18 21:58:13:
It's more like this site already doesn't have a filter for spiders so I don't expect them to add one any time soon. Spider familiars and whatnot are already a thing on the site to my dismay.
I never said that having a filter for spiders makes me see more spiders??? Where did you read that. I said that I have to deal with unfiltered spider arts AS IS on this site and I don't expect that to change, as much as I hate it. And if I ask for such it literally will not go anywhere (Because nobody takes arachnophobia seriously). And we're talking about skins, I don't want to have to see dragons with spiders all over them or whatever.
But if they add a spider filter... You could block the skins with spiders on them?

Are you saying you just don't expect them to implement the filter? That's why you would suggest it on the first place, so staff knows to be more conscious of it- FR already doesn't have filters, so it's bizarre to think that spiders are some sort of outlier, when no phobias or visual triggers are accounted for as of now. Video games are catering to people with arachnophobia (and other phobias!) more and more recently.

It sucks that you have to see unfiltered spiders on the site as is, but a blacklist would help with this, especially if extended to familiars and such. So spiders can stay for the people who like them, and be hidden for the people that don't.
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
x78oEKd.png f9a32de21f619685c021adafe3a356066a54ad09.png
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
[quote name="Dakkokki" date="2021-03-19 14:53:46" ] No support, this would be very subjective, as there are some with bones that could be considered "gory" but contain no actual blood, there are some that show the insides, which could also be considered "gory" but it's done in a stylized way. Who would decide on what is gory and what isn't? It'd be far too hard to implement this. [/quote] I feel like "gore" has a pretty standard definition, as it's used in rating things like video games... And it has to do with blood and viscera most of the time. I think the point is that with broad enough categories, it wouldn't be difficult (though you might end up with some things marked "gore" that not everyone agrees with) and it would be helpful to the people who have severe reactions to things. I don't know, but I feel like if you have an issue with intestines or something then you might be able to weigh that blocking intestines will also hide blood spatter even if you don't mind the latter. You're right that it isn't going to be perfect, but that doesn't mean a solution for some part of the problem can't be implemented. By that logic, we wouldn't have any apparel at all, because some of it will inevitably clip. I don't know about you, but I'm willing to put up with clipping because otherwise it's a great product.
Dakkokki wrote on 2021-03-19 14:53:46:
I feel like "gore" has a pretty standard definition, as it's used in rating things like video games... And it has to do with blood and viscera most of the time. I think the point is that with broad enough categories, it wouldn't be difficult (though you might end up with some things marked "gore" that not everyone agrees with) and it would be helpful to the people who have severe reactions to things. I don't know, but I feel like if you have an issue with intestines or something then you might be able to weigh that blocking intestines will also hide blood spatter even if you don't mind the latter.

You're right that it isn't going to be perfect, but that doesn't mean a solution for some part of the problem can't be implemented. By that logic, we wouldn't have any apparel at all, because some of it will inevitably clip. I don't know about you, but I'm willing to put up with clipping because otherwise it's a great product.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Like you said, there is lots of other media directed towards teens that's more violent. Yes we're talking about teens and adults on this site (13+ excludes children). When you sign up you can chose your flight, you know that Plague is a part of this site. People who are sensitive to blood mostly know how to avoid, or deal with it. With that I can understand when festival skins are kept more harmless, because a broader spectrum of the site audience is the target group. But, I think custom skins shouldn't be judged this strictly. The target audience of these skins/accents is a lot smaller. Most of the skins are advertised using pinglists that include tags already, so it's unlikely to include people who aren't interested in a certain thing.

Tags might be an option. But there'd have to be set rules to what aspects get what tag. When would a skin be tagged as bloody? When it's real blood, scuffs, red dots, red pixels. This is exaggerated, but we need a clear line to dictate what is what. Artists could help with suggested tags, saying what the skin is meant to depict. Others could perhaps chime in to suggest changes or additions. But who's the one left to ultimately decide on the final tags?

Also, how would a filter work? Would it hide the skin if you select that you don't want blood to show up? Or would it hide the entire dragon? What about avatar dragons? What about PVP in the coli when that comes back? Would dragon bios have to be included? Because a dragon itself can look "normal", yet there might be some site acceptable aspects that trigger you in the bio. How would this work with other things, say arachnophobia? There are vistas with spiders, and spider familiars. Will they be censored?

edit: Also, what about genes? Skeletal for Banes for example, or red crackle?

I understand where people are coming from, believe me. But how far will we take this. These are just my thoughts and concerns, they're not meant to trigger or attack anyone personally.
Like you said, there is lots of other media directed towards teens that's more violent. Yes we're talking about teens and adults on this site (13+ excludes children). When you sign up you can chose your flight, you know that Plague is a part of this site. People who are sensitive to blood mostly know how to avoid, or deal with it. With that I can understand when festival skins are kept more harmless, because a broader spectrum of the site audience is the target group. But, I think custom skins shouldn't be judged this strictly. The target audience of these skins/accents is a lot smaller. Most of the skins are advertised using pinglists that include tags already, so it's unlikely to include people who aren't interested in a certain thing.

Tags might be an option. But there'd have to be set rules to what aspects get what tag. When would a skin be tagged as bloody? When it's real blood, scuffs, red dots, red pixels. This is exaggerated, but we need a clear line to dictate what is what. Artists could help with suggested tags, saying what the skin is meant to depict. Others could perhaps chime in to suggest changes or additions. But who's the one left to ultimately decide on the final tags?

Also, how would a filter work? Would it hide the skin if you select that you don't want blood to show up? Or would it hide the entire dragon? What about avatar dragons? What about PVP in the coli when that comes back? Would dragon bios have to be included? Because a dragon itself can look "normal", yet there might be some site acceptable aspects that trigger you in the bio. How would this work with other things, say arachnophobia? There are vistas with spiders, and spider familiars. Will they be censored?

edit: Also, what about genes? Skeletal for Banes for example, or red crackle?

I understand where people are coming from, believe me. But how far will we take this. These are just my thoughts and concerns, they're not meant to trigger or attack anyone personally.
xeDKNxe.png
  • Introvert
  • 9+ Hrs ahead of FR time fr__arcane_by_baelfin-d8uyn6b.png
1 2 3 4 5