Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Alternative Methods for Eyes
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 167 168
It's not even all old dragons being locked out either. Anybody who hatches a dragon with Rare eyes but wanted one with Uncommon, for instance, has to use Scattersights to achieve it. They can rebreed the dragon to get the right eyes, sure, but it's not the same dragon. As stated above, many times, this is especially frustrating for users who want to keep certain dragons based on things like ID number, birthdate, Gen1, and even first-bred to certain color combos.

On a side note between "Natural" and "Unnatural" eyes; there is no stylistic consistency that allows us to predict whether certain eye types will be categorized as one or the other. We've heard a lot of arguments that staff might release other, similar eye types to the natural pool as unnatural (and thus Coli/Baldwin/etc. obtainable) varieties, but we have no way of guessing whether that will actually happen.

Genes, by comparison, typically come in treasure-available types based on natural animal patterns that don't tend to break away from their original color schemes, a singular exception being Lionfish/Noxtide; gem genes tend to be shiny or glittery, another singular exception being Butterfly/Petals; Baldwin genes tend to have additional colors added to them, etc.

With eyes, however, there is no real stylistic consistency between "Natural" and "Unnatural" eye types. Dark Sclera looks far more "natural" and fitting with the other tint types than, say, Primal or Multigaze do, but it's available via Baldwin instead of being another breeding-only gene. Not that I'd want Dark Sclera to be breeding-only either, but as an example...

This means that there's absolutely no guarantee or even likelihood that if staff decides to release another eye type similar to Primal or Multigaze or Facet that they won't just dump it in the Natural eye type category. Meaning that players who are looking for an alternative eye type to the unobtainable ones won't just be locked out all over again.
It's not even all old dragons being locked out either. Anybody who hatches a dragon with Rare eyes but wanted one with Uncommon, for instance, has to use Scattersights to achieve it. They can rebreed the dragon to get the right eyes, sure, but it's not the same dragon. As stated above, many times, this is especially frustrating for users who want to keep certain dragons based on things like ID number, birthdate, Gen1, and even first-bred to certain color combos.

On a side note between "Natural" and "Unnatural" eyes; there is no stylistic consistency that allows us to predict whether certain eye types will be categorized as one or the other. We've heard a lot of arguments that staff might release other, similar eye types to the natural pool as unnatural (and thus Coli/Baldwin/etc. obtainable) varieties, but we have no way of guessing whether that will actually happen.

Genes, by comparison, typically come in treasure-available types based on natural animal patterns that don't tend to break away from their original color schemes, a singular exception being Lionfish/Noxtide; gem genes tend to be shiny or glittery, another singular exception being Butterfly/Petals; Baldwin genes tend to have additional colors added to them, etc.

With eyes, however, there is no real stylistic consistency between "Natural" and "Unnatural" eye types. Dark Sclera looks far more "natural" and fitting with the other tint types than, say, Primal or Multigaze do, but it's available via Baldwin instead of being another breeding-only gene. Not that I'd want Dark Sclera to be breeding-only either, but as an example...

This means that there's absolutely no guarantee or even likelihood that if staff decides to release another eye type similar to Primal or Multigaze or Facet that they won't just dump it in the Natural eye type category. Meaning that players who are looking for an alternative eye type to the unobtainable ones won't just be locked out all over again.

“Denizens of the Volt-Lands”
She/They/He | FR Time +0
[quote name="Voltzinar" date="2019-06-17 14:57:39" ] With eyes, however, there is no real stylistic consistency between "Natural" and "Unnatural" eye types. Dark Sclera looks far more "natural" and fitting with the other tint types than, say, Primal or Multigaze do, but it's available via Baldwin instead of being another breeding-only gene. Not that I'd want Dark Sclera to be breeding-only either, but as an example... This means that there's absolutely no guarantee or even likelihood that if staff decides to release another eye type similar to Primal or Multigaze or Facet that they won't just dump it in the Natural eye type category. Meaning that players who are looking for an alternative eye type to the unobtainable ones won't just be locked out all over again. [/quote] This is quite exactly what happened with goat. Players suggested this eye type, among others, and it was one of the most popular ones in the thread. So when it got added to the pool people were elated...right until the moment they realized it was a natural eye type locked behind breeding and not even attainable via scatter vials. It was the eyepocalypse all over again.
Voltzinar wrote on 2019-06-17 14:57:39:

This is quite exactly what happened with goat. Players suggested this eye type, among others, and it was one of the most popular ones in the thread. So when it got added to the pool people were elated...right until the moment they realized it was a natural eye type locked behind breeding and not even attainable via scatter vials. It was the eyepocalypse all over again.
6CVg72d.png
support! part of the fun of flight rising is that there are, metaphorically, many paths up the mountain. there's lots of ways for different players with different playing strengths and preferences to participate. providing more options for how to acquire certain eye types would be in keeping with what is, to me, one of the most important features of the site.
support! part of the fun of flight rising is that there are, metaphorically, many paths up the mountain. there's lots of ways for different players with different playing strengths and preferences to participate. providing more options for how to acquire certain eye types would be in keeping with what is, to me, one of the most important features of the site.
[quote]part of the fun of flight rising is that there are, metaphorically, many paths up the mountain.[/quote] That's true. And this problem has many potential solutions. I, personally, prefer individual eye vials that we can get through various site mechanics. They can even cycle if need be. Putting individual eye vials in the MP/GMP would act as a currency sink and thus also benefit the economy. I don't really care much for the eye transfer option, but it would work. The result, however, would definitely be people snatching up rare eyed fodder and swapping eyes, then exalting the fodder anyway. But if the purpose is to make rare eyes pricey, then this would succeed. If the purpose is to make rare eyed dragons valuable, then it would fail. Even regularly having Galore give away a vial or two would work. However, I think it would benefit FR much more to have us work for our goals. Popping on and clicking Galore isn't much effort or investment in the site. Also, Galore is frustrating because he is account locked. This could wind up leading to multi-accounting as people make extra accounts just to transfer their dragons for Galore eyes and then send them back. I don't care much for RNG. I liked FR because it was so RNG low before. I know some people like RNG though. So a new type of scattervial could fill the need. It could have just the tints with other eyes obtainable in other ways. Or it could have all the eyes period with all future eyes added. The odds would have to be different than the last atrocious scattervial. And these scattervials should always be available, like the scatterscrolls are. That way people can keep trying. At this point, even contacts would be appreciated. (Although I know many people dislike the idea of contacts.) There's lots of options. I hope we see at least one, if not more, implemented. Because I know for me and others, this problem isn't going to be soothed. I keep feeling like with one fell swoop, FR out-dated my entire lair. I just want back the customization FR was built on.
Quote:
part of the fun of flight rising is that there are, metaphorically, many paths up the mountain.
That's true. And this problem has many potential solutions.

I, personally, prefer individual eye vials that we can get through various site mechanics. They can even cycle if need be.

Putting individual eye vials in the MP/GMP would act as a currency sink and thus also benefit the economy.

I don't really care much for the eye transfer option, but it would work. The result, however, would definitely be people snatching up rare eyed fodder and swapping eyes, then exalting the fodder anyway. But if the purpose is to make rare eyes pricey, then this would succeed. If the purpose is to make rare eyed dragons valuable, then it would fail.

Even regularly having Galore give away a vial or two would work. However, I think it would benefit FR much more to have us work for our goals. Popping on and clicking Galore isn't much effort or investment in the site. Also, Galore is frustrating because he is account locked. This could wind up leading to multi-accounting as people make extra accounts just to transfer their dragons for Galore eyes and then send them back.

I don't care much for RNG. I liked FR because it was so RNG low before. I know some people like RNG though. So a new type of scattervial could fill the need. It could have just the tints with other eyes obtainable in other ways. Or it could have all the eyes period with all future eyes added. The odds would have to be different than the last atrocious scattervial. And these scattervials should always be available, like the scatterscrolls are. That way people can keep trying.

At this point, even contacts would be appreciated. (Although I know many people dislike the idea of contacts.)

There's lots of options. I hope we see at least one, if not more, implemented. Because I know for me and others, this problem isn't going to be soothed. I keep feeling like with one fell swoop, FR out-dated my entire lair. I just want back the customization FR was built on.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Alternative methods for eyes could even be worked into Adventure Mode. Now, I have no idea where adventure mode stands at the moment or how it will precisely work. But I think it could be fun to go on a "quest" with a dragon to change its eyes.
Alternative methods for eyes could even be worked into Adventure Mode. Now, I have no idea where adventure mode stands at the moment or how it will precisely work. But I think it could be fun to go on a "quest" with a dragon to change its eyes.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
I just used one of my remaining handful of Scattersights on a dragon to give her Uncommon eyes, since she was hatched with Unusual.

The tints are literally worthless on all dragons on the AH, and have been for almost a year. There's nothing "special" or "valuable" about them anymore-- regardless of how beautiful the dragon is, Unusual eyes are worth no more than Common, Uncommon, or Rare. There's honestly no reason to keep a simple cosmetic hue shift locked into retired RNG vials or hatch-exclusive RNG.

I really wish we at least had vials for the tints. ;__;

I just used one of my remaining handful of Scattersights on a dragon to give her Uncommon eyes, since she was hatched with Unusual.

The tints are literally worthless on all dragons on the AH, and have been for almost a year. There's nothing "special" or "valuable" about them anymore-- regardless of how beautiful the dragon is, Unusual eyes are worth no more than Common, Uncommon, or Rare. There's honestly no reason to keep a simple cosmetic hue shift locked into retired RNG vials or hatch-exclusive RNG.

I really wish we at least had vials for the tints. ;__;

PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
I added the quest idea to the first post.

For those who go right to the current end of the thread, this is what I added:
Quote:
A new idea is that, depending on how Adventure mode works, where it is in development, and when it will be released, but dragons could go on quests to change their eye type. It could involve some combination of doing X activities in Adventure mode, beating a certain number/type of Coli enemies, finding certain items, perhaps paying a fee, participating in Baldwin or Swipp or Joxar, playing a certain game in the Fairground...whatever. Once embarked, the dragon has # of tasks to fulfill, depending on the targeted eye type. When those tasks are fulfilled, the dragon changes eyes (but not elements).
I added the quest idea to the first post.

For those who go right to the current end of the thread, this is what I added:
Quote:
A new idea is that, depending on how Adventure mode works, where it is in development, and when it will be released, but dragons could go on quests to change their eye type. It could involve some combination of doing X activities in Adventure mode, beating a certain number/type of Coli enemies, finding certain items, perhaps paying a fee, participating in Baldwin or Swipp or Joxar, playing a certain game in the Fairground...whatever. Once embarked, the dragon has # of tasks to fulfill, depending on the targeted eye type. When those tasks are fulfilled, the dragon changes eyes (but not elements).
Pings are disabled.

Ohhh I love the idea of quests to change eyes/get eye vials. That would be fun. I enjoyed the challenge and diversity of the hibernal tasks and something that required multiple steps and a bit of variety in tasks would be interesting and engaging while still keep the "challenge" of getting eyes.

Ohhh I love the idea of quests to change eyes/get eye vials. That would be fun. I enjoyed the challenge and diversity of the hibernal tasks and something that required multiple steps and a bit of variety in tasks would be interesting and engaging while still keep the "challenge" of getting eyes.

[quote name="DracoVentis" date="2019-06-17 15:23:53" ] [quote name="Voltzinar" date="2019-06-17 14:57:39" ] With eyes, however, there is no real stylistic consistency between "Natural" and "Unnatural" eye types. Dark Sclera looks far more "natural" and fitting with the other tint types than, say, Primal or Multigaze do, but it's available via Baldwin instead of being another breeding-only gene. Not that I'd want Dark Sclera to be breeding-only either, but as an example... This means that there's absolutely no guarantee or even likelihood that if staff decides to release another eye type similar to Primal or Multigaze or Facet that they won't just dump it in the Natural eye type category. Meaning that players who are looking for an alternative eye type to the unobtainable ones won't just be locked out all over again. [/quote] This is quite exactly what happened with goat. Players suggested this eye type, among others, and it was one of the most popular ones in the thread. So when it got added to the pool people were elated...right until the moment they realized it was a natural eye type locked behind breeding and not even attainable via scatter vials. It was the eyepocalypse all over again. [/quote] This is exactly why I don't like the 'well, there will be alternatives to the eye types. You won't get THIS eye type, but in the future, there will be more'. Unlike genes and breeds, which we have a reasonable expectation that we will be able to apply those freely, eye types don't have that expectation. Since goat, we know now that new natural eye types will be added, and we will get only two vials. This means that if we had three dragons, all special to us, that we wanted a natural eye type on, but decided to wait for an alternative, and that alternative comes out, but is natural, only two of those dragons can get the preferred eye type. This also doesn't solve the issue of where no alternative WILL be suitable. If someone wants Multigaze, there is no guarantee that we will get another multi eyed variant, or that it will look similar to MG. (in fact, it is almost guaranteed to look vastly different, should we get it). This means that MG is still the preferred eye type to that player, no matter how many other cool and interesting eye variants come out.
DracoVentis wrote on 2019-06-17 15:23:53:
Voltzinar wrote on 2019-06-17 14:57:39:

This is quite exactly what happened with goat. Players suggested this eye type, among others, and it was one of the most popular ones in the thread. So when it got added to the pool people were elated...right until the moment they realized it was a natural eye type locked behind breeding and not even attainable via scatter vials. It was the eyepocalypse all over again.
This is exactly why I don't like the 'well, there will be alternatives to the eye types. You won't get THIS eye type, but in the future, there will be more'. Unlike genes and breeds, which we have a reasonable expectation that we will be able to apply those freely, eye types don't have that expectation. Since goat, we know now that new natural eye types will be added, and we will get only two vials.

This means that if we had three dragons, all special to us, that we wanted a natural eye type on, but decided to wait for an alternative, and that alternative comes out, but is natural, only two of those dragons can get the preferred eye type.

This also doesn't solve the issue of where no alternative WILL be suitable. If someone wants Multigaze, there is no guarantee that we will get another multi eyed variant, or that it will look similar to MG. (in fact, it is almost guaranteed to look vastly different, should we get it). This means that MG is still the preferred eye type to that player, no matter how many other cool and interesting eye variants come out.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
This ^exactly

I really think multi-gaze suits my progen the best, however currently there just is no way to get multi gaze on him other than a very skewered retired consumable.

Sure, there could an eye type in the future that I find much more fitting, and I'm happy we at least get 2 vials now. But it's only a temporary band-aid, as future players will just be out of luck. Doesn't help the vials we do get are clan bound so people who have no interest in them can't even get rid of them if they wanted to.

Again the vials and breeding mechanic can co-exist just fine, benefit new and old players and overall make the user base much happier.
This ^exactly

I really think multi-gaze suits my progen the best, however currently there just is no way to get multi gaze on him other than a very skewered retired consumable.

Sure, there could an eye type in the future that I find much more fitting, and I'm happy we at least get 2 vials now. But it's only a temporary band-aid, as future players will just be out of luck. Doesn't help the vials we do get are clan bound so people who have no interest in them can't even get rid of them if they wanted to.

Again the vials and breeding mechanic can co-exist just fine, benefit new and old players and overall make the user base much happier.
DVcXRyP.png
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 167 168