Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Keeping up with exalted dragons
1 2
Something that I'd really like to see on flight Rising is the ability to keep up with how an exalted dragon is doing.

This could be in the form of a list of the dragons you exalted, and when you visit their page it occasionally has a randomly generated message with information of what the exalted dragon has been up to while working for your deity. Beside the message is the date on which this event occurred, and the player can scroll up or down to see previous updates.

Another possible way to do this is to have dragons occasionally send "letters home" that contain the same randomly generated updates, maybe in a more letter-like form. The dragon could also send the player some sort of souvenir or item from the area where they're stationed.

There are several reasons I think this would be a good idea. Firstly, it would make exalting dragons feel less like selling them for gold or hurling them into the void or even just killing them and more like actually sending them to work for the deity they're supposed to be working for. This would make it a lot easier for sentimental people like me to not accidentally grow emotionally attached to dragons I'm exalting, and it would make me feel better about selling dragons knowing that they're probably going to end up being exalted by someone else.

Another reason this is that it would provide a good way to expand upon lore. It would give a better idea of what daily life in Sornieth is like, and it would be a neat way to introduce people to lore in an easy, digestible way.

A third reason I feel this would be a good idea is that it would provide a greater reward for exalting, or at least the letter idea would, since the player would continue to be rewarded for exalting their dragon beyond just the initial money they received.

What do you guys think? Do you have any other ideas of how this could work?
Something that I'd really like to see on flight Rising is the ability to keep up with how an exalted dragon is doing.

This could be in the form of a list of the dragons you exalted, and when you visit their page it occasionally has a randomly generated message with information of what the exalted dragon has been up to while working for your deity. Beside the message is the date on which this event occurred, and the player can scroll up or down to see previous updates.

Another possible way to do this is to have dragons occasionally send "letters home" that contain the same randomly generated updates, maybe in a more letter-like form. The dragon could also send the player some sort of souvenir or item from the area where they're stationed.

There are several reasons I think this would be a good idea. Firstly, it would make exalting dragons feel less like selling them for gold or hurling them into the void or even just killing them and more like actually sending them to work for the deity they're supposed to be working for. This would make it a lot easier for sentimental people like me to not accidentally grow emotionally attached to dragons I'm exalting, and it would make me feel better about selling dragons knowing that they're probably going to end up being exalted by someone else.

Another reason this is that it would provide a good way to expand upon lore. It would give a better idea of what daily life in Sornieth is like, and it would be a neat way to introduce people to lore in an easy, digestible way.

A third reason I feel this would be a good idea is that it would provide a greater reward for exalting, or at least the letter idea would, since the player would continue to be rewarded for exalting their dragon beyond just the initial money they received.

What do you guys think? Do you have any other ideas of how this could work?
Unfortunately most of what you listed are great personal lore ideas, but would be not good if implemented by the site.

For one, players exalt for many reasons, and some of it is lore and some of it isn't.

For another, not everyone would like to get occasional things or letters (and who is going to write these letters?) from dragons they exalted.

Number three is the sheer number of dragons exalted. Some players could literally log on to hundreds of letters from exalted dragons, since they are heavy dom exalters. (even if only one out of every 1000 dragons exalted sent out a letter, some players may have exalted 10s or even 100s of thousands of dragons in their time on site)

Four is the idea that even if a player exalts a dragon for lore, what the dragon sends back might not coincide with that player's personal lore. IE, they exalt a hatchling because in their lore, it died. It wouldn't make sense for that dragon to send a letter. Or they send off a healer to help their deity and get back letters about the dragon being a scribe or warrior (even if in their lore, the dragon refused to even touch any offensive battlestones).

So all in all, no support. This is wonderful for personal lore, but I feel it would 'pigeonhole' player's lore way to much, especially if the dragon's page itself had information about what it was doing. This would be visible to everyone, and if they come there from a person's lore (ie that dragon is linked in that person's lore) they will immediately be able to see that what the dragon is 'officially' doing is vastly different from what the user said the dragon was doing. (I say officially because it would be like the BotE stories, once the staff puts it on site, many players will see it as 'official'. While users are perfectly capable of going against site lore, there are many players who like to work WITH site lore, or just wouldn't like a constant reminder than their lore goes against what the site lore says)
Unfortunately most of what you listed are great personal lore ideas, but would be not good if implemented by the site.

For one, players exalt for many reasons, and some of it is lore and some of it isn't.

For another, not everyone would like to get occasional things or letters (and who is going to write these letters?) from dragons they exalted.

Number three is the sheer number of dragons exalted. Some players could literally log on to hundreds of letters from exalted dragons, since they are heavy dom exalters. (even if only one out of every 1000 dragons exalted sent out a letter, some players may have exalted 10s or even 100s of thousands of dragons in their time on site)

Four is the idea that even if a player exalts a dragon for lore, what the dragon sends back might not coincide with that player's personal lore. IE, they exalt a hatchling because in their lore, it died. It wouldn't make sense for that dragon to send a letter. Or they send off a healer to help their deity and get back letters about the dragon being a scribe or warrior (even if in their lore, the dragon refused to even touch any offensive battlestones).

So all in all, no support. This is wonderful for personal lore, but I feel it would 'pigeonhole' player's lore way to much, especially if the dragon's page itself had information about what it was doing. This would be visible to everyone, and if they come there from a person's lore (ie that dragon is linked in that person's lore) they will immediately be able to see that what the dragon is 'officially' doing is vastly different from what the user said the dragon was doing. (I say officially because it would be like the BotE stories, once the staff puts it on site, many players will see it as 'official'. While users are perfectly capable of going against site lore, there are many players who like to work WITH site lore, or just wouldn't like a constant reminder than their lore goes against what the site lore says)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
No support, for the same reasons Jemadar already explained.

I've exalted thousands of dragons and I really don't want to be spammed with letters from random fodder I sent of during Dom pushes. :'D
No support, for the same reasons Jemadar already explained.

I've exalted thousands of dragons and I really don't want to be spammed with letters from random fodder I sent of during Dom pushes. :'D
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I would like to be able to go through a list of all of the dragons I've exalted, but not messages/letters from them.

The info for what dragons each user has exalted is definitely kept, and just a list of IDs or even a list with links would not be too server heavy, given that they don't all load onto the same page. But for anything more than that, no.
I would like to be able to go through a list of all of the dragons I've exalted, but not messages/letters from them.

The info for what dragons each user has exalted is definitely kept, and just a list of IDs or even a list with links would not be too server heavy, given that they don't all load onto the same page. But for anything more than that, no.
Q9opeXe.png...8ydRw4n.png...o022-d01-L-Firtarian.pngo141-d02-Firtarian.pngo141-d03-Firtarian.pngo141-d04-Firtarian.pngs1-d2-Firtarian.pngs1-d14-Firtarian.pngs1-d16-Firtarian.pngs1-d4-Firtarian.png
No support. This sounds more suited to role-playing than anything else.

I've been here a while and exalted 23,296. That's a really high number to have randomly messaging/gifting me. I expect to keep exalting in the future so that number is going to go up. February 13, 2019 when the Account Settings first told us how many dragons we've personally exalted my number was 22,487.

140,679 was reported by one player. I'm sure their number is much higher now.
No support. This sounds more suited to role-playing than anything else.

I've been here a while and exalted 23,296. That's a really high number to have randomly messaging/gifting me. I expect to keep exalting in the future so that number is going to go up. February 13, 2019 when the Account Settings first told us how many dragons we've personally exalted my number was 22,487.

140,679 was reported by one player. I'm sure their number is much higher now.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
This could also be weird for anybody who acts as a receiver for out-of-flight dom efforts, just because they clicked the exalt button doesn't mean they have an attachment to all those dragons.
And if you exalt a lot any letters are going to feel fairly meaningless after you've seen the same content 100 times.

Depending on how much and how often dragons send souvenirs "home" it might impact how people participate in dom too, if my dragons can either send me stuff forever (making exalting them yourself more profitable long-term, as benefits would accumulate over time) or the raffle attendant gets it..... if it's enough to be worth creating the system to do it, it'll probably change how people play.

And if only a tiny fraction of all your exalted dragons just send a worthless trinket once a year or so (little enough not to matter much to the economy) then would it be worth doing at all?

It's a neat idea and could make for fun lore or roleplaying, but not a site mechanic.
This could also be weird for anybody who acts as a receiver for out-of-flight dom efforts, just because they clicked the exalt button doesn't mean they have an attachment to all those dragons.
And if you exalt a lot any letters are going to feel fairly meaningless after you've seen the same content 100 times.

Depending on how much and how often dragons send souvenirs "home" it might impact how people participate in dom too, if my dragons can either send me stuff forever (making exalting them yourself more profitable long-term, as benefits would accumulate over time) or the raffle attendant gets it..... if it's enough to be worth creating the system to do it, it'll probably change how people play.

And if only a tiny fraction of all your exalted dragons just send a worthless trinket once a year or so (little enough not to matter much to the economy) then would it be worth doing at all?

It's a neat idea and could make for fun lore or roleplaying, but not a site mechanic.
I'd rather not get letters or anything else that requires my attention, for reasons already stated. I'm also concerned that giving every single dragon ever exalted a whole archive of updates, the majority of which will never be read or cared about, would not be the best use of resources.

However, what if instead of a personalized list of updates generated on a set schedule, exalted dragons just had a current status randomly generated at each load of their page? I think that would still be in the spirit of what you're suggesting, and it could be fun! Especially if users were able to submit status ideas.
I'd rather not get letters or anything else that requires my attention, for reasons already stated. I'm also concerned that giving every single dragon ever exalted a whole archive of updates, the majority of which will never be read or cared about, would not be the best use of resources.

However, what if instead of a personalized list of updates generated on a set schedule, exalted dragons just had a current status randomly generated at each load of their page? I think that would still be in the spirit of what you're suggesting, and it could be fun! Especially if users were able to submit status ideas.
This sounds like a great avenue for personal lore to take.

As a regular exalter, sometimes those dragons literally do mean nothing to me except money. I'm not attached to them, and I don't particularly care to get notifications or messages flooding my inbox telling me how they're doing. I'm sure they're doing great with the Arcanist, and that's good enough for me.

This sounds a lot like you don't like exalting as a premise, and therefore want to try and add weight to it as a decision. Unfortunately, the game is set up so that exalting is a major part of the economy, whether you like it or not, and it has and will always be that way. It is to help curb the dragon population; without exalting, and without incentives to exalt, there would be too many dragons and not enough lair space, not to mention server space. My stance on exalting boils down to "do what you want and don't bother with what other people are doing." Some users take exalting very seriously, and absolutely refuse to exalt dragons at all. Some users use it as their main source of income, and exalt hundreds of dragons, if not thousands, a week.
This sounds like a great avenue for personal lore to take.

As a regular exalter, sometimes those dragons literally do mean nothing to me except money. I'm not attached to them, and I don't particularly care to get notifications or messages flooding my inbox telling me how they're doing. I'm sure they're doing great with the Arcanist, and that's good enough for me.

This sounds a lot like you don't like exalting as a premise, and therefore want to try and add weight to it as a decision. Unfortunately, the game is set up so that exalting is a major part of the economy, whether you like it or not, and it has and will always be that way. It is to help curb the dragon population; without exalting, and without incentives to exalt, there would be too many dragons and not enough lair space, not to mention server space. My stance on exalting boils down to "do what you want and don't bother with what other people are doing." Some users take exalting very seriously, and absolutely refuse to exalt dragons at all. Some users use it as their main source of income, and exalt hundreds of dragons, if not thousands, a week.
EDPdzPA.pngoCyuG6K.pngM4gRmAb.png
Mz977my.png
I’ve exalted over 16.000 dragons, 99% of which are fodder for profit and nothing else. I have no attachment to any of them. Even those that I have exalted that used to be permas, mean nothing more, that’s why they’re exalted.
I’d rather not get random messages from dragons I have no attachment to whatsoever. Sounds like it could get very spammy ^^’
I’ve exalted over 16.000 dragons, 99% of which are fodder for profit and nothing else. I have no attachment to any of them. Even those that I have exalted that used to be permas, mean nothing more, that’s why they’re exalted.
I’d rather not get random messages from dragons I have no attachment to whatsoever. Sounds like it could get very spammy ^^’
g8j0L9a.png My Timezone: FR+9
Accent Shop
1qSQ4Z1.gif | | Giving up on life and choosing death...is nothing but a blasphemy toward life. It is a violation of the natural order! | |
No support for the reasons already mentioned. I can't even imagine waking up to 20k messages that say nearly the same thing.
No support for the reasons already mentioned. I can't even imagine waking up to 20k messages that say nearly the same thing.
Stuff will one day go here.
1 2